General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Lake Placid : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 148

2011-08-10 7:24 AM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Ironman Lake Placid : Official Thread
OK IMLP 2012.  Let the fun begin.  Does anyone know of a good place for lodgin within walking distance of town?

2011-08-10 8:58 AM
in reply to: #3637183

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lake Placid, NY
Subject: RE: Ironman Lake Placid : Official Thread
Woohoo! 11.5 months to go! ;-D  And sorry - I live right near the start so will just be sleeping in my own bed. I know a lot of the hotels do jack up their rates during IM - it's a crime, really.
2011-08-10 5:19 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rochester, NY
Man, I was starting to get jumping I have been looking here everyday hoping would start the thread.  I didn't want to start it the day after and have everybody think that I'm crazy.  I think I'm doing to be staying outside of LP.  We are looking at a cottage on Saranac Lake (will be a family vacation after the race).  What are people thinking of using for there training program for this race.  I haven't decided yet, I'm still looking around seeing what's out there. 
2011-08-10 6:04 PM
in reply to: #3638306

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lake Placid, NY
I'm using a personal coach myself. Refinanced mortgage (and money saved by not having to fly/hotel/etc) FTW! :-)
2011-08-10 7:29 PM

User image

Veteran
Va Beach
Still recovering from LP this year, but might as well get started for next. I'm staying at Art Devlins in town, stated there this year and it was great. 5 min walk to transition was great for both me and family. LP 2012 will be my 5th IM and 3rd LPIM in a row. I love this race and look forward to hearing from all this year.  Jim
2011-08-10 7:48 PM

User image

JMoney - 2011-08-10 6:19 PM Man, I was starting to get jumping I have been looking here everyday hoping would start the thread.  I didn't want to start it the day after and have everybody think that I'm crazy.  I think I'm doing to be staying outside of LP.  We are looking at a cottage on Saranac Lake (will be a family vacation after the race).  What are people thinking of using for there training program for this race.  I haven't decided yet, I'm still looking around seeing what's out there. 

You just signed up for a 140.6 mile race.  You, me, everyone that signs up for this race has to be a little coo coo for cocoa puffs  

2011-08-10 7:56 PM

User image

Jacklcm - 2011-08-10 8:24 AM OK IMLP 2012.  Let the fun begin.  Does anyone know of a good place for lodgin within walking distance of town?

There is seriously, about a dozen places less than a half mile from the Olympic Oval and Mirror Lake.  It all depends on your budget.  My parents stayed at Art Devlin's, which just a block away from from the Olympic Oval; rooms were very clean, nice pool, and the rates were cheap. 

Two years ago we stayed at the Northwoods; never again.  The manager and people who worked there were very nice, but the place is old and kind of ghetto.  I mean, it's expensive and just a few years away from being a straight-up dump.  It was clean and all, but it's begging to be updated.  My friends have stayed at and loved the Golden Arrow, but it's a little pricey.  

This past July we stayed at a little place on Saranac Ave, which is at the end of the main strip, and a 1/2 mile down the next block.  Personally I enjoyed being away from the hustle and bustle, nervous energy of Main St; yet just being a 15 minute walk away. 

2011-08-10 8:17 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ballston Spa, NY

Was wondering if someone started a thread yet!

This will be my first IM and I'm super excited!!

As for lodging...I know this year I was a volunteer so our accommodations didn't matter as much.  But we stayed at Cascade Acres about a mile from the oval.  It is a camp ground but if you have a camper you can stay there too. They didn't have a minimum number of nights and it was only $30/night.  It's a no frills location...but we didn't care.

2011-08-10 10:46 PM
in reply to: #3638436

User image

Regular
godekjames, if the hills on Kinetic HIM were a 5 on a scale of 10, how hard is the IMLP bike course in comparison?  I live in Northern Virginia and I'm starting to think through where I can get in regular rides that feature mountains, not hills.  It is not practical for me to go out to Skyline Drive every weekend next spring/summer.
This will be my first IM.   

http://radicalimmersion.wordpress.com/ 
2011-08-11 9:43 AM
in reply to: #3638636

User image

Veteran
Va Beach

klassman - 2011-08-10 10:46 PM godekjames, if the hills on Kinetic HIM were a 5 on a scale of 10, how hard is the IMLP bike course in comparison?  I live in Northern Virginia and I'm starting to think through where I can get in regular rides that feature mountains, not hills.  It is not practical for me to go out to Skyline Drive every weekend next spring/summer.
This will be my first IM.   

Klassman, I would say if Kinetic hills were a 5, Then IMLP is a solid 10. At Kinetic this year you could ride fast enough down the hills and get to the top of next without climbing. I rarely was out of big chainring at Kinetic. At LP the climbs are not super hard, but you need to manage them as 2 loops will eat you up if you don't. That being said, I live at the beach where we have no hills. I do a few tide in Williamsburg and a few on the Blue Ridge PKWY. Every weekend is not required, just 3 or 4 times with one being long 80+ to get a feel for the hills. My main training was a once a week 2 x 20 min max threshold ride with a 30 min warmup and cooldown. So I would not stress the hills too much. If you have any good size hill in NORVA, you can do repeats on that which will also help. Just remember small chainring on first loop and save your legs for the 2nd loop and run. I would also advise if you can make it to LP for a camp (Fireman's) or any other that would help just to see Keene descent, if not when you get to the race, ride the Keene descent (mile 10-16) and have someone pick you up at bottom and do it again. I would not want to see it for the first time on race day. 

If you have any other questions please ask, I have done this race twice and others on this forum even more. lots of good info out here and there are no dumb questions. Good luck with your training. Are you doing any races next year as a prep. I am doing Kinetic Half and Eagleman again.

Jim

2011-08-11 10:13 AM

User image

Master
Kingston Ontario

WOO HOOO SOMEONE STARTED THE THREAD!!
I'm all signed up and this is my first IM.  I have been spectating for years and supporting my peeps and finally it is my turn.  I know LP fairly well having been there many times on training camps and weekends.  LOVE IT...can't wait.

I will be staying with my peeps at Brooks Sunshine Cottage which is walking distance away from everything but back from Main Street in the quiet residential area behind.  From experience and other people's recommendations, the following places are good:  Spruce Lodge (on Sentinal Rd), Wildwood cabins/motel, Mountain View Lodge (right on Main Street...looks sketchy in lobby but rooms are quite nice...might be noisy during IM...I only stayed there in June)  In Wilmington North Pole Resort and Alpine Inn are recommended

2011-08-11 2:34 PM

User image

Veteran
State College, PA

I can't wait for the race next year. 

In the two weeks since the race I have been able to think of nothing but next year. For those who don't know I ended up suffering from major dehydration(15lbs loss, 4000mL saline through IV, kidneys failing) on the bike at this years race and ended up nearly passing out at 3.5 miles into the run and getting pulled from the race. 

I am currently scheduled for ACL replacement surgery on 8/23 (tore it skiing back in December). With all the training I've been doing I'm hoping for a very easy and quick recovery so I can get back to training early.

2011-08-11 6:14 PM
in reply to: #3639787

User image

Veteran
Va Beach
drdking - 2011-08-11 2:34 PM

I can't wait for the race next year. 

In the two weeks since the race I have been able to think of nothing but next year. For those who don't know I ended up suffering from major dehydration(15lbs loss, 4000mL saline through IV, kidneys failing) on the bike at this years race and ended up nearly passing out at 3.5 miles into the run and getting pulled from the race. 

I am currently scheduled for ACL replacement surgery on 8/23 (tore it skiing back in December). With all the training I've been doing I'm hoping for a very easy and quick recovery so I can get back to training early.

Good luck with the surgery, how long will you be out? At least you are getting it done now and will have time to recover and get back into IM shape.

Jim

2011-08-11 8:02 PM
in reply to: #3639091

User image

Regular
godekjames - 2011-08-11 10:43 AM

Klassman, I would say if Kinetic hills were a 5, Then IMLP is a solid 10. At Kinetic this year you could ride fast enough down the hills and get to the top of next without climbing. I rarely was out of big chainring at Kinetic. At LP the climbs are not super hard, but you need to manage them as 2 loops will eat you up if you don't. That being said, I live at the beach where we have no hills. I do a few tide in Williamsburg and a few on the Blue Ridge PKWY. Every weekend is not required, just 3 or 4 times with one being long 80+ to get a feel for the hills. My main training was a once a week 2 x 20 min max threshold ride with a 30 min warmup and cooldown. So I would not stress the hills too much. If you have any good size hill in NORVA, you can do repeats on that which will also help. Just remember small chainring on first loop and save your legs for the 2nd loop and run. I would also advise if you can make it to LP for a camp (Fireman's) or any other that would help just to see Keene descent, if not when you get to the race, ride the Keene descent (mile 10-16) and have someone pick you up at bottom and do it again. I would not want to see it for the first time on race day. 

If you have any other questions please ask, I have done this race twice and others on this forum even more. lots of good info out here and there are no dumb questions. Good luck with your training. Are you doing any races next year as a prep. I am doing Kinetic Half and Eagleman again.

Jim

I will certainly have questions to ask from all the people in this forum.  I won't get to LP before July for any training, so I will certainly have to plan to do the Keene descent on Friday before the race.

The problem around here is not that I cannot find hills, it is that none of the hills are never more than about three minutes to get up.  For training, I need to find somewhere to do repeats on a hill that climbs for 20 minutes or more.  At least that is my thinking now.

Next week, if work and homelife allow, I'll be out in Garrett Co. Maryland to ride the Savageman 70 course.  If only I didn't have to drive hours to get there...

RE: 2012 Races.  I don't know what I'll do.  This year I did an Olympic on April (Rumpass) and the HIM at Kinetic in early May and then didn't race again until the July weekend of IMLP when I did an Olympic (Rocketts Landing).  I'm sure that I'll want/need to race next spring and early summer, but I haven't got a coach yet, don't train with a team and really haven't thought through my schedule whatsoever.  If Kinetic and IMLP is a good fit, I'll probably go there again.

2011-08-11 10:21 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Somewhere, British Columbia

I'm in for 2012 as well Smile

This will be my 1st IM for me and I'll stay at High Peaks Resort. I'll try to do a family vacation as well  with my wife Wink

2011-08-12 11:12 AM

User image

Veteran
I'm in for my second Lake Placid, 3rd IM. Can't wait! I highly recommend the Golden Arrow if there are rooms available. I DO NOT recommend the Northwoods if you avoid it. Its a real dump.

2011-08-13 11:18 AM

User image

Set your DVR's: August 23rd 2:00 PM on Universal Sports - Ironman Lake Placid debuts.
2011-08-13 11:33 AM

User image

Expert
Sugar Hill, GA

JMoney - 2011-08-10 6:19 PM What are people thinking of using for there training program for this race.  I haven't decided yet, I'm still looking around seeing what's out there. 

I'll be using Be Iron Fit.  I plan to follow it very closely with the exception of long rides, I'm concerned that the long rides are not quite long enough so I'm going to bump about 6 of them of to century rides.

I did an IM in 2010 and followed one of a Matt Fitzgerald plan from the Essential Week-By-Week Training Guide.  That worked very well for me but I did the same and upped the distance on about 6 of the rides to centuries.

2011-08-13 11:37 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sea Isle City, NJ
3rd IMLP for me. I seem to be on the every other year plan.
2011-08-13 2:24 PM

First Ironman for me as well!  I've only been doing triathlons for a year now and just completed my first Half - so this is a big step for me!  Looking forward to the adventure for sure!  I'll be staying at the Crowne Plaza Hotel in Lake Placid - I've never been to the area and probably won't have a chance to see the course or anything prior to race weekend, so I appreciate anything that anyone on here posts about the course, advice, etc.  Thanks in advance!!
2011-08-13 2:35 PM

User image

Veteran
Harrison, Oh

I'm in, too!  This will be my 4th IM, first LP.  I'm staying at the Town & Country Motor Inn.  I'm excited to be doing LP and looking forward to getting to know everyone over the next year

First up ~ IM #3, IMKY on Aug 28th.....gulp, just two weeks from tomorrow!

2011-08-13 7:06 PM

User image

Master
syracuse

good to see the 2012 thread live and rockin!

i'll be watching next year, as my wife jen will be racing as well as my brother!!

LP is magical....enjoy the build up to the event....as DC can attest, it goes fast.....enjoy it and remember the most difficult part is hitting the start line healthy......remember that along the way!!

good luck!

2011-08-14 7:29 AM

User image

Veteran
Lakeville, Minnesota
I'm in as well and will be staying at the High Peaks resort with my wife and two kids. I am doing my first IM on Sept 11 in Madison and very excited about coming to Lake Placid next summer.
2011-08-14 1:41 PM

User image

Regular
Western PA
I'm in as well.  This will be my first IM.  I volunteered this year and just loved the town and the region.  
2011-08-14 1:59 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Latonia, Kentucky (near Cincinnati)

My wife and I are both in!  We volunteered in the BIKE area this year and had a great time.  We are having a hard time finding lodging though. Want to stay close enough to walk to the race.  Art Devlins is full and so are most of the rest.  Prices for most are astronomical. 

I have 2 ultra marathons to contend with before IMLP, so for now, I'm focused on those.  Hope that the ultra training will have me in fine shape for IM training, and at the same time, I hope I'm not completely burned out by then.  We'll see.  Will be my 5th IM, first at LP.

New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Lake Placid : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 148