BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatee Mentors v.2 thr.3 CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes considered) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 52

2014-11-06 2:43 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Mad Manatee Mentors v.2 thr.3 CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes considered)

Originally posted by Asalzwed

Originally posted by amd723

Originally posted by rrrunner

Soooooo, I should probably fill you in on an adventure I am planning for the summer. More I should say I was tasked to make a plan by another BT-er (thebigb) if you don't know him. We met after running Boston last year.

Anyhoo, we are going to run a section of the PCT (Pacific Crest Trail.) It's approximately 105 miles with 25K elevation gain (and loss.) We will do about 35 miles a day and camp on the trail at night. I've not decided whether we will run supported or unsupported.

"There's no two ways about it: Section K is tough. In fact, only California's infamous John Muir Trail section is considered more challenging. But for those with the skills and desire, the hike from Stevens Pass to Rainy P is also one of the PCTs most rewarding. Wild, rugged and stunning, this section passes through two wilderness areas and a National Park, allowing hikers to experience the natural beauty of the Pacific Northwest untarnished by civilization. "

At the end of the portion we run we are going to spend a night in a super cool off the grid town you can only access by boat or plane and then leave via seaplane.

So yeah...those are the deets I can share as of now.

That sounds incredible!  I have a friend who is going to hike the Appalachian Trail next year.  It should take about 5 months.  In my various trips to NC this year I've hiked bits of the AT and some of it is so technical/hard/almost impassable it's a tough hike; there's no way I could run it.  Is the section of the PCT you plan on running like that?!  Yikes either way!!

And I second Monica, don't forget about the beer mile

Yeah, it's a very tough section. Of course there will be portions where we will have to walk/pick our way through the terrain. And there will be a lot of this:

That looks/sounds incredible!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When you get to a spot like this you must put on your nun habit and run up the hill singing "the hills are alive".  And, of course, you must do the arms outstretched spin. 

HAHAHA! 

K. We will be sure to get some video. Now we have a goal of our mission. This footage needs to happen.

If the habit is too bulky to pack... (yes, this came up under a "hills are alive" search)

2014-11-06 2:45 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Seattle
Subject: RE: Mad Manatee Mentors v.2 thr.3 CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes considered)

Originally posted by melbo55

Soooooo, I should probably fill you in on an adventure I am planning for the summer. More I should say I was tasked to make a plan by another BT-er (thebigb) if you don't know him. We met after running Boston last year.

Anyhoo, we are going to run a section of the PCT (Pacific Crest Trail.) It's approximately 105 miles with 25K elevation gain (and loss.) We will do about 35 miles a day and camp on the trail at night. I've not decided whether we will run supported or unsupported.

"There's no two ways about it: Section K is tough. In fact, only California's infamous John Muir Trail section is considered more challenging. But for those with the skills and desire, the hike from Stevens Pass to Rainy P is also one of the PCTs most rewarding. Wild, rugged and stunning, this section passes through two wilderness areas and a National Park, allowing hikers to experience the natural beauty of the Pacific Northwest untarnished by civilization. "

At the end of the portion we run we are going to spend a night in a super cool off the grid town you can only access by boat or plane and then leave via seaplane.

VERY cool adventure! Have you read Wild by Cheryl Strayed?

Yes ma'am! In like 2.5 days. It was a great book (although I felt the last couple weeks on the trail were rushed...)

Looking forward to the movie.

When I summited Adams a while back we encountered a couple of PCT thru-hikers. One of them accidentally left her hiking boots in the parking lot and we brought them home. Long story short we used our internet resources to figure out who they were, tracked them down and mailed the boots along to them. Ha!  

2014-11-06 2:47 PM

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by blueyedbikergirl

Seeing his FB posts I was wondering which one of you two came up with the idea??  I'm thinking you... 

That's going to be freakin' AH-MAY-ZING, but will this leave you time to train for the beer-mile championships???  

Of course it was me. Who else thinks of crazy ideas like that. It's one thing to run a long way on a trail. Another to party in an off the grid town and fly out in a seaplane

I think they moved the beer mile to Dec. Not sure if that will be an annual thing. Would you and Tony host a humble miler Dec 2015?  

Dude - if you're coming to Austin (or anywhere in the near vicinity), you'd BEST be coming to stay with us!  Besides, by that time we'll have this entirely too big house for the two of us with at least 3 extra rooms for people to crash in.  WOOT!  

2014-11-06 2:49 PM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by 4agoodlife

That sounds incredible!  I have a friend who is going to hike the Appalachian Trail next year.  It should take about 5 months.  In my various trips to NC this year I've hiked bits of the AT and some of it is so technical/hard/almost impassable it's a tough hike; there's no way I could run it.  Is the section of the PCT you plan on running like that?!  Yikes either way!!

Yeah, it's a very tough section. Of course there will be portions where we will have to walk/pick our way through the terrain. And there will be a lot of this:

When you get to a spot like this you must put on your nun habit and run up the hill singing "the hills are alive".  And, of course, you must do the arms outstretched spin. 

HAHAHA! 

K. We will be sure to get some video. Now we have a goal of our mission. This footage needs to happen.

If the habit is too bulky to pack... (yes, this came up under a "hills are alive" search)

hmm, trying to figure out the shadow...

2014-11-06 2:58 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Yes ma'am! In like 2.5 days. It was a great book (although I felt the last couple weeks on the trail were rushed...)

When I summited Adams a while back we encountered a couple of PCT thru-hikers. One of them accidentally left her hiking boots in the parking lot and we brought them home. Long story short we used our internet resources to figure out who they were, tracked them down and mailed the boots along to them. Ha!  

That's awesome!

Ok, now HANDS has the Sound of Music stuck in my head AND I'm baffled by the mountain man's shadow. Sheesh. How's a girl to get any work done!

2014-11-06 3:02 PM

User image

Master

Wow! What a fantastic experience.  You'll have some amazing pictures. I was quite envious of my cousin taking two weeks to solo hike John Muir Trail last year. He put together a beautiful slideshow.

That is rad. The JMT is also on my list, with a summit of half dome and  Whitney at the end. That area is so incredibly beautiful. 

I may or may not have to solo that. I would need to find a buddy that is 1 part endurance runner and one part mountaineer and I haven't found too many people who fit that. 

Night hiking Half Dome and waking to a sunrise over the Valley is one of the most beautifully uncomfortable experiences thus far in my life. Freaking cold even in middle of summer! The things 18yo camp counselors don't always think of when "planning" last-minute adventures.

As one who is constantly at battle with my fear of heights, this might be the way to do it! Although, that whole going down part...

The ascent/descent feels more like a wide slide, not a spine. You can focus on trail without getting too much of a feeling of being so high.  Buuuut...the top has "diving boards" jutting out. A gymnast friend watched sunrise from one. No way. I stood well back from edge. It was dizzying enough lying on my stomach to look over, forget walking/crawling out on one of these...

2014-11-06 3:05 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master

HAHAHA! 

hmm, trying to figure out the shadow...

"The hills are alive"?

2014-11-06 3:10 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Wow! What a fantastic experience.  You'll have some amazing pictures. I was quite envious of my cousin taking two weeks to solo hike John Muir Trail last year. He put together a beautiful slideshow.

That is rad. The JMT is also on my list, with a summit of half dome and  Whitney at the end. That area is so incredibly beautiful. 

I may or may not have to solo that. I would need to find a buddy that is 1 part endurance runner and one part mountaineer and I haven't found too many people who fit that. 

Night hiking Half Dome and waking to a sunrise over the Valley is one of the most beautifully uncomfortable experiences thus far in my life. Freaking cold even in middle of summer! The things 18yo camp counselors don't always think of when "planning" last-minute adventures.

As one who is constantly at battle with my fear of heights, this might be the way to do it! Although, that whole going down part...

The ascent/descent feels more like a wide slide, not a spine. You can focus on trail without getting too much of a feeling of being so high.  Buuuut...the top has "diving boards" jutting out. A gymnast friend watched sunrise from one. No way. I stood well back from edge. It was dizzying enough lying on my stomach to look over, forget walking/crawling out on one of these...

Glad I'm not the only one who does that!

2014-11-06 3:14 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

I was downtown today and decided to share some of the beauty that is Santa Fe...

One picture is of the Disctrict Court building, obviously newly built. The other is the Palace of the Governors, built as the government building in the 1600's when Santa Fe was the capital of the Spanish colony Nuevo Mexico. 

Love the old, the new is, well, just new.

Funny, the newness of the District Court building is what got me thinking about the contrast. It has hands-free everything and is so new and shiny. Not to be confused with most of the buildings in Santa Fe that were built... sometime in the last 400 years and when you go in them you hope you don't break anything.

2014-11-06 3:27 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Seattle

Glad I'm not the only one who does that!

Oh man, you guys would die if you could see me.

As I mentioned, I am pretty scared of heights. But I don't let it get in my way so...I just look ridiculous. All four, stomach crawling...whatever. I am not above it. 

2014-11-06 3:41 PM

User image

Master

Thanks for the book reminder! I knew I had one on my list that I was forgetting.

Lots of reading time lately: Into the Wild, Gone Girl, Dark Places, The White Princess. hmmmm...and a couple murder mysteries I went through really fast.

2014-11-06 3:45 PM

User image

Seattle

Thanks for the book reminder! I knew I had one on my list that I was forgetting.

Lots of reading time lately: Into the Wild, Gone Girl, Dark Places, The White Princess. hmmmm...and a couple murder mysteries I went through really fast.

Ohhh man. Into the Wild. Jon Krakauer changed my life.  

2014-11-06 3:47 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master

HA! I'm not deathly afraid, but I have a HEALTHY respect. Of course, I married a guy who jumped out of planes...with or without a chute attached. Guess what he does when we go hiking and the kids want to see something over the edge. Whatever you guess, you're probably right.

Edited by 4agoodlife 2014-11-06 4:04 PM
2014-11-06 3:53 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Denver, CO

That's awesome!

Ok, now HANDS has the Sound of Music stuck in my head AND I'm baffled by the mountain man's shadow. Sheesh. How's a girl to get any work done!

+1.  This is WAY more entertaining than the other stuff I need to do.  I may have to resort to turning off the internet.

2014-11-06 3:55 PM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by laffinrock

That's awesome!

+1.  This is WAY more entertaining than the other stuff I need to do.  I may have to resort to turning off the internet.

shadow(s

2014-11-06 3:56 PM

User image

Master

He did some amazing research for that book. Loved the connections to the other men's stories. I put Where Men Win Glory on my list because we do the Pat Tillman Run, but I've never looked into his story more than what's been in the media.

2014-11-06 3:58 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

HA! I'm not deathly afraid, but I have a HEALTHY respect. Of course, I married a guy who jumped out of planes...with or without a chute attached. Guess what he does when we go hiking and the kids want to see something over the edge? Whatever you guess, you're probably right.

I don't even like it when my "kids" get close to the edge. Here is DS2 torturing me by hanging over the edge in Moab...

(D Moab.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
D Moab.JPG (136KB - 1 downloads)
2014-11-06 4:01 PM

User image

Denver, CO

He did some amazing research for that book. Loved the connections to the other men's stories. I put Where Men Win Glory on my list because we do the Pat Tillman Run, but I've never looked into his story more than what's been in the media.

That book is really good.

2014-11-06 4:02 PM

User image

Master

You guys make me laugh. Are you sure it's shadows you're studying?

2014-11-06 4:11 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master

HA! I'm not deathly afraid, but I have a HEALTHY respect. Of course, I married a guy who jumped out of planes...with or without a chute attached. Guess what he does when we go hiking and the kids want to see something over the edge? Whatever you guess, you're probably right.

I don't even like it when my "kids" get close to the edge. Here is DS2 torturing me by hanging over the edge in Moab...

hehehe...why do they do such things to us?

Edited by 4agoodlife 2014-11-06 4:16 PM
2014-11-06 10:40 PM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Master

agoodlife

Nice to hear. I'm ocd about finishing a book I start.

2014-11-07 7:46 AM

Master
Northern IL

A Walk In The Woods by Bill Bryson was a fun one for the Appalachian Trail. I haven't really hiked it, just been up to Mount Washington area where it goes right by. Hikes up to the top there will average 1,000 ft of ascending per mile, so yeah, it can be tough. Definitely still hiking though, not actually climbing things. The NE area really goes with "the shortest distance between two points is a straight line" philosophy. No switchbacks anywhere. I did ok with it, but can be hard for others.

2014-11-07 8:04 AM

Master
Northern IL

hehehe...why do they do such things to us?

My brother would walk right up to edge and lean out over to look down. On stuff like that diving board one too. Even the ones with snow hanging out. Our mother "loved" it.

2014-11-07 10:02 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

agoodlife

Me too.  I've been slogging, and I do mean slogging, through a book the past few months.  Yes, that's right, months.  Normally a good book wouldn't last a week or two, but this beast...  I've been on a cycling stories kick, and really enjoyed reading Pro Cycling on $10 a Day by Phil Gaimon, so when I finished that, I moved on to the story of Jacques Antequil: Sex, Lies and Handlebar Tape.  It is killing me, but I refuse to quit and just set it aside!  I'm not quite halfway through.

2014-11-07 10:20 AM

User image

Denver, CO

agoodlife

Me too.  I've been slogging, and I do mean slogging, through a book the past few months.  Yes, that's right, months.  Normally a good book wouldn't last a week or two, but this beast...  I've been on a cycling stories kick, and really enjoyed reading Pro Cycling on $10 a Day by Phil Gaimon, so when I finished that, I moved on to the story of Jacques Antequil: Sex, Lies and Handlebar Tape.  It is killing me, but I refuse to quit and just set it aside!  I'm not quite halfway through.

I've been thinking about reading that.  I read his Velonews blog and he's pretty entertaining.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatee Mentors v.2 thr.3 CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes considered) Rss Feed  

of 52

RELATED POSTS

Manatee Mentors 2014 v.2 thread2 CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Pages: 1 ... 100 101 102 103

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 65774 Posts: 2563

2014-10-29 8:19 AM IndoIronYanti

Funked Up Triathletes - Season 2 - Olympic/Sprint Focus - Closed Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27

Started by funkj25
Views: 45024 Posts: 669

2018-01-16 11:34 PM aviatrix802

Manatee Monkey Mentors SHUT (Poptart or pet pic bribes considered) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 76017 Posts: 2488

2014-07-30 9:43 AM IndoIronYanti

Slornow and Wannabefaster's Summer Group-CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 51 52 53 54

Started by slornow
Views: 52213 Posts: 1331

2014-12-18 10:15 PM wannabefaster

Todd's Tri Turtles 3 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10K) Basically Closed Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23

Started by Hunting Triathlete
Views: 27587 Posts: 569

2014-12-14 7:18 PM cassowary
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 29, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.

date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.
date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.

date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.
date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.