BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Part deux Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 98

2016-04-20 12:35 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Raleigh, North Carolina
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2016 - Part deux
Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by TXTriRook Do any of you "in-season," which to me means racing at least once a month, continue to lift weights as part of your training? I did my usual weight routine which includes squats, lunges, and a whole bunch of upper body work and I'm so stiff it hurts to walk let alone swim/bike/run. I'm wondering if I should table the weights until after the season and stick to the pushups/planks/less stress "weight" workouts while training for upcoming races. It's raining in Dallas again. Hopefully this storm is missing you guys further South already under water!

Something to ask yourself with that is why you are lifting weights? Look at what you want to get out of it. Applies to about any activity, really. If you're really wanting to maximize effectiveness of what you're doing you'll want a better (or more specific) answer than something vague or generic like getting in shape or to be stronger. Although "fun to do" and "lifting heavy things" are still valid answers. Just going back to knowing why you're doing something.

I didn't lift at all for several years while strongly s/b/r focused. I had no maximal strength issues and generally found other methods more directly related to the activity for specific issues that came up. I could still pick up and more (tip over) anything around the house except the car. I wasn't battling for position in basketball or other sports anymore. I was healthy enough to do all the motions of s/b/r, just needed much more practice to do them better and more aerobic development to do them harder for longer. So keeping it up was getting in the way of what I wanted to do.

I love strength training and try to work in a little bit here and there. However, I rarely do lower-body work during triathlon training. People in the strength training community talk a lot about not only muscular systems but also neuromuscular systems. Total-body lifts like squats and deadlifts are very taxing to the neuromuscular system and I just can't go all out on both tri training and lower body. I've been doing upper-body only when I have been able to lift.

Also, my half-iron training has my volume up to > 10 hours a week and I find that I can't really support the strength training on top of that (both from a time perspective and a general energy perspective). I suspect I'd have to make some lifestyle and diet changes to be able to do both successfully.

One of the things I look forward to after the 70.3 is spending somewhat more time with weights and somewhat less time tri-specific training. I realize that will likely hurt my performance in the tris I have signed up for, but I think I'll be happier on the whole with both the outcome and how I'm spending that time.

2016-04-20 12:44 PM
in reply to: Jet Black

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by Jet Black
Originally posted by TXTriRook Do any of you "in-season," which to me means racing at least once a month, continue to lift weights as part of your training? I did my usual weight routine which includes squats, lunges, and a whole bunch of upper body work and I'm so stiff it hurts to walk let alone swim/bike/run. I'm wondering if I should table the weights until after the season and stick to the pushups/planks/less stress "weight" workouts while training for upcoming races. It's raining in Dallas again. Hopefully this storm is missing you guys further South already under water!
When I ramped up the run volume (30-40 mpw), I had to drop lower body weights. Just couldn't handle it and was on the verge of being injured a couple of times. I still do upper body once a week, really just because I'm vain and am afraid of looking too skinny now. I don't think it helps my swim performance or anything, but who knows. Once the IM is over I'm thinking about putting run on maintenance ~25 mpw, and focusing on the bike. I'll try adding back in light squats/deadlifts and see how it goes. But I'm a pretty firm believer that nothing gets you faster at running and biking than running and biking. If you can do some weights in addition, great. But not necessary. If anything, just drop the weight so it doesn't stress you so much. Basically put the weights on maintenance.

Off-topic, but seeing a few spoofs of the IMTX bike showing up. One saying it's cancelled to become an aquathon. Another almost official looking IM page-like pic saying it's now on computrainers!

2016-04-20 1:10 PM

User image

Thanks for the feedback everyone! Sounds like the general consensus is to lay off the weights with races on the docket. I'm signed up for spin class tonight which is gonna be rough given I'm still waddling around like a penguin.
2016-04-20 1:16 PM
in reply to: TXTriRook

User image

Seattle
Originally posted by TXTriRookDo any of you "in-season," which to me means racing at least once a month, continue to lift weights as part of your training? I did my usual weight routine which includes squats, lunges, and a whole bunch of upper body work and I'm so stiff it hurts to walk let alone swim/bike/run. I'm wondering if I should table the weights until after the season and stick to the pushups/planks/less stress "weight" workouts while training for upcoming races. It's raining in Dallas again. Hopefully this storm is missing you guys further South already under water!
I absolutely do although if time is a limit or and I have to choose lifting vs a race specific workout I will choose specificity.It's important the weights benefit and compliment the sport, not get in the way of. This can be done with timing (when the weights happen in relation to a sport specific workout) and aligning your goals
2016-04-21 10:47 AM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Denver, Colorado
Super busy week for me, so I only stopped quickly to say HI
Also, after Monday and Tuesday even the calendars say WTF...

My best friend and running partner (the one who got me into triathlon) is admitted to Chicago Marathon (they now have a lottery as well). She has an option to run this year or defer to 2017. She is still trying to decide, as we have our first Olympic Tri at the end of August, and that's a lot of time and commitment. If she decided to do it this year, I promised I will train with her and if everything goes well, I will sign up for a marathon at the end of October (the local one I mentioned before).
I checked Higdon's schedule and compared it with my triathlon schedule, and what would be left for Sept and Oct once I'm done with tri, and technically it looks doable. Although, I am trying to stay realistic, as I need to consider any vacation, sick time, and any other things that could distract me from training. So we shall see. I am not registering yet - I'll definitely wait until I see it in more realistic than romantic way.
2016-04-21 10:51 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Well it's still over a week out so things could change but right now the weather is showing snow for my ultra next week.

I prefer that, though, to having it be too warm. The weather is showing snow in the morning, turning to rain. could be a wet one.  I'll just remember the RR of our Tejas Manatees and feel inspired.

2016-04-21 11:05 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Chicago, Illinois
I feel like racing this last weekend has really helped recharge my battery. I was really struggling with wanting to train and even a short race was just what the doctor order. Here is the race report for Try Tri Indy.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/Races/Reports/link-details.aspx?i...
2016-04-21 11:12 AM
in reply to: emcmino

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by emcmino I feel like racing this last weekend has really helped recharge my battery. I was really struggling with wanting to train and even a short race was just what the doctor order. Here is the race report for Try Tri Indy. http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/Races/Reports/link-details.aspx?i...

The race atmosphere is fun and I think the race helps give us a focus for our training.  I'm glad that it gave you the boost to get out there and train.

2016-04-21 11:58 AM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by rrrunner

Well it's still over a week out so things could change but right now the weather is showing snow for my ultra next week.

I prefer that, though, to having it be too warm. The weather is showing snow in the morning, turning to rain. could be a wet one.  I'll just remember the RR of our Tejas Manatees and feel inspired.

Running in the snow is the best type of running. I mean, so long as it's not deep enough to post hole.

2016-04-21 1:34 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by Asalzwed

Running in the snow is the best type of running. I mean, so long as it's not deep enough to post hole.

I don't think there will be much, if any, on the ground. Just falling, hopefully not to forcefully.

2016-04-21 1:57 PM

User image

How long's your ultra?

2016-04-21 1:59 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by TXTriRook

How long's your ultra?

2016-04-21 2:11 PM

User image

How long's your ultra?

Damn, that's insane! Good luck.
2016-04-21 2:15 PM

Master
Northern IL

I don't think there will be much, if any, on the ground. Just falling, hopefully not to forcefully.

Trial by ... (not)fire?

2016-04-21 2:26 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Trial by ... (not)fire?

"it'll be fun" they said 

I guess I'll need to make sure my support bag is water proof. It'll be at aid stations 2 and 4 so I could put some dry clothes in there. That would really only help if the precipitation stops and I want to be in dry clothes. Of course, that would really only work for tops and shoes/socks. There probably won't be a place to change my shorts/pants. 

2016-04-21 2:46 PM

User image

Veteran
East Texas

Originally posted by Jet Black
When I ramped up the run volume (30-40 mpw), I had to drop lower body weights. Just couldn't handle it and was on the verge of being injured a couple of times. I still do upper body once a week, really just because I'm vain and am afraid of looking too skinny now. I don't think it helps my swim performance or anything, but who knows. Once the IM is over I'm thinking about putting run on maintenance ~25 mpw, and focusing on the bike. I'll try adding back in light squats/deadlifts and see how it goes. But I'm a pretty firm believer that nothing gets you faster at running and biking than running and biking. If you can do some weights in addition, great. But not necessary. If anything, just drop the weight so it doesn't stress you so much. Basically put the weights on maintenance.

Off-topic, but seeing a few spoofs of the IMTX bike showing up. One saying it's cancelled to become an aquathon. Another almost official looking IM page-like pic saying it's now on computrainers!

I think they finally have a course nailed down and form what I gather it's going to be super flat which should really play into Sean's strengths since that is what he has been training on.

2016-04-21 2:48 PM

User image

Veteran
East Texas

Thanks for the feedback everyone! Sounds like the general consensus is to lay off the weights with races on the docket. I'm signed up for spin class tonight which is gonna be rough given I'm still waddling around like a penguin.

A little late to the party but I stop weights about 8 weeks out. I modify like Sean mentioned based on me hitting my key workouts. Deadlifts before a century ride doesn't work for me so I don't do it.

I'm 15 weeks out from Boulder and I'm dropping a lot of weight so I just added another strength routine to try and preserve what muscle mass I can during IM training.
2016-04-21 3:23 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Trial by ... (not)fire?

"it'll be fun" they said 

I guess I'll need to make sure my support bag is water proof. It'll be at aid stations 2 and 4 so I could put some dry clothes in there. That would really only help if the precipitation stops and I want to be in dry clothes. Of course, that would really only work for tops and shoes/socks. There probably won't be a place to change my shorts/pants. 

Ha ha ha ha ha!! Here's hoping the snow and precipitation leaves the forecast but the cool weather stays.

2016-04-21 3:39 PM

User image

Seattle

Trial by ... (not)fire?

"it'll be fun" they said 

Id use a trash compactor bag for your support bag. Dry clothes is a good idea, just in case. 

I wouldn't do this for anything but an ultra distance but a compact, resistant shell is nice to have to preserve your layers. Will you have a backpack of some sort for carrying the essentials? 

There are a million options but I have a Patagonia Houdini that folds unto it's pocket and is incredibly light weight but kicks azz in the wind and rain (it does have its rain limits though) I also have an 

Outdoor Research Helium and while it has better water resistance it's bigger and heavier. 

2016-04-21 4:01 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Trial by ... (not)fire?

"it'll be fun" they said 

Id use a trash compactor bag for your support bag. Dry clothes is a good idea, just in case. 

I wouldn't do this for anything but an ultra distance but a compact, resistant shell is nice to have to preserve your layers. Will you have a backpack of some sort for carrying the essentials? 

There are a million options but I have a Patagonia Houdini that folds unto it's pocket and is incredibly light weight but kicks azz in the wind and rain (it does have its rain limits though) I also have an 

Outdoor Research Helium and while it has better water resistance it's bigger and heavier. 

I will have a backpack with my hydration. I thought about just doing a bottle because the aid stations are always about 5 miles apart but decided to have my own stuff with me. A water resistant shell is a good idea. I do have one but it's not great. I probably should look at a better one with the forecast showing likely rain/snow.

2016-04-21 4:55 PM

User image

Seattle

Trial by ... (not)fire?

"it'll be fun" they said 

I will have a backpack with my hydration. I thought about just doing a bottle because the aid stations are always about 5 miles apart but decided to have my own stuff with me. A water resistant shell is a good idea. I do have one but it's not great. I probably should look at a better one with the forecast showing likely rain/snow.

If you already have one I might not get another. There is no option that is truly waterproof that you can run in without boiling so none of them are very good. What you could do is take the one you have and use a water repellent spray or wash on it like Nikwax.

2016-04-21 5:24 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

There is no option that is truly waterproof that you can run in without boiling so none of them are very good.

Thanks for this information Salty as my mum and I were just looking at options around this yesterday seeing as it is heading into winter here. I have one and it gets so hot that I can't run in it, but it is great reflective fabric so it's for for in the low light conditionas in traffic. I have been thinking that I might take the sleeves out of it and make it sleeveless to cut down the heat factor.
2016-04-21 7:36 PM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by StaceyK
Originally posted by Asalzwed There is no option that is truly waterproof that you can run in without boiling so none of them are very good.
Thanks for this information Salty as my mum and I were just looking at options around this yesterday seeing as it is heading into winter here. I have one and it gets so hot that I can't run in it, but it is great reflective fabric so it's for for in the low light conditionas in traffic. I have been thinking that I might take the sleeves out of it and make it sleeveless to cut down the heat factor.

Not a bad idea. Or even cut and sew in something like a pit zip (mins the zipper unless you are a good seamstress)

2016-04-21 8:00 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario
just wanted to throw an update out here.

The cycling everyday project is coming along well. Even today where it was a little on the cool side and the roads were wet I was still enthusiastic about getting out there. I made an effort to keep it light and easy as I have my race coming up this sunday and I was tired. Despite the lackadaisical effort I managed to knock down 12 PR's on a 30km route I havent run since last year. It appears as though TrainerRoad and time in the saddle are starting to pay dividends. Still a long way to go but happy with the progress.

Edited by DaveL 2016-04-22 9:52 PM
2016-04-22 8:24 AM
in reply to: DaveL

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

An update from me as well. I've had a couple of on site workdays, and have been flying solo in the office with my primary co-worker taking vacation this week. So, a little less time on BT this week, which probably isn't a bad thing either. I have been seeking out different running venues, with Wednesday being a bit of a bust (too short). Also, I've been taking some time on the trails on my old MTB. I'll be meeting a friend up in Venice on Monday morning for another ride. I've got to admit, the offroad stuff has been a blast.

In news from TW, we bid on a will package at a fundraiser last Christmas. Come to find out it included a skydive opportunity in it as well. Soooo, tomorrow she will be exiting a moving plane at 10,000 or so feet, strapped to someone else. Never a dull moment trying to keep up with her! 

Enjoy the weekend.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Part deux Rss Feed  

of 98

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11078 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 21, 2014
author : Tre_bor
comments : 3
The running aspect of an Ironman triathlon is a marathon. Most people take on a marathon as a single event and the training for this uses up a lot of their time. Here are some tips for the run.

date : December 9, 2013
author : Tre_bor
comments : 7
So you want to become an Ironman?! Are you sure...? It's not a light undertaking. I will attempt to help you make it through without making too many rookie mistakes.
date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
comments : 0
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.

date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.
date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.