BT Development Mentor Program Archives » 2018 Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Always Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 44

2018-01-30 3:13 PM
in reply to: EHouse20

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Subject: RE: 2018 Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Always Open
Originally posted by EHouse20

Andrew - this is my first so as we talked before it has been interesting to say the least. Before she started daycare (January) I was knocking out most of my workouts in the morning before work because I'm a morning person. But, now that I have to drop her off at daycare, Mom wasn't too keen on me dropping her off that early. My plan for this year is to enter 3-4 Sprints so that I can get away with a little less training than say an oly or half. So most of my work now is done during my lunch time at work and I have been getting a decent run in on Sunday afternoons. As you said before, the after work option is out for me as well because it's not long after I get home that they go to bed. Again, I'll keep you posted on how it's going and also if I can get creative in any ways to get more workouts in. Hope your is doing well and enjoy the runs.

Eric

Unfortunately lunchtime workouts aren't really an option for me. The biggest issue being we don't have a shower at the office, and I tend to look like I've been for a swim after a decent workout.

The little man has his first day of daycare today, so things are changing again. I'll be doing most of the dropping off and picking up as I have a much shorter commute than Mrs Bullfrog. For the next few months it's only 2 days a week, but I can see an opportunity for an extra workout time. The daycare is less than a 5 minute walk from home, but if I were to go home a different way it's a 15 minute jog... might be time to bust out the jogging stroller.

2018-01-30 3:21 PM
in reply to: firebert

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Originally posted by firebert
  So what I think is that I need the same saddle with a grippier covering so I don't slide around.

If you're a total sadist, I believe Tony Martin (TT world champ) uses skateboard grip tape on his saddle to stop sliding...
http://www.velonews.com/2014/07/news/pro-bike-tony-martins-stage-wi...

I couldn't imagine anything worse... but it seems to work for him, so what would I know
2018-01-31 7:46 AM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Originally posted by bulfrog

Originally posted by firebert
  So what I think is that I need the same saddle with a grippier covering so I don't slide around.

If you're a total sadist, I believe Tony Martin (TT world champ) uses skateboard grip tape on his saddle to stop sliding...
http://www.velonews.com/2014/07/news/pro-bike-tony-martins-stage-wi...

I couldn't imagine anything worse... but it seems to work for him, so what would I know

I'm thinking that might be hard on the shorts!
2018-01-31 7:50 AM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Hit the gym spinning studio for a 35' spin this morning. Someday soon I'll get my bike on the trainer and ride that, but it wasn't happening this morning. I concentrated on single leg drills today, which I can't actually do on my trainer. There is no where for me to put my non-spinning leg! At the gym, I just set it in the water bottle holder.

I'm hoping to get in a run this afternoon. It is supposed to be in the upper 50s later this afternoon, so if I can squeak out of work a little early I'll be able to manage. I teach until 4:15pm, but I've never once heard a student complain about getting out of class early!
2018-01-31 8:07 AM

User image

DeLand, Florida

Originally posted by drfoodlove
Originally posted by bulfrog
Originally posted by firebert   So what I think is that I need the same saddle with a grippier covering so I don't slide around.
If you're a total sadist, I believe Tony Martin (TT world champ) uses skateboard grip tape on his saddle to stop sliding... http://www.velonews.com/2014/07/news/pro-bike-tony-martins-stage-wi... I couldn't imagine anything worse... but it seems to work for him, so what would I know
I'm thinking that might be hard on the shorts!

Right!?!  And looking through the slideshow, glue and sand on the handlebars instead of tape!

2018-01-31 4:12 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Originally posted by nicole14e

Hey Sandi, question for you. Your feet cramping...does it happen all the time or like, at the end of a hard workout? If it's all the time, you might be able to fix it. Next time you are swimming think about your kick. If you are really *trying* to point your toes/are pointing too hard, I think that might be the culprit. Your feet should be pointed but relaxed, if that makes sense. If they are stiff they are going to be more likely to cramp, especially if you are not fully warmed up yet when the cramps start.

You could also try walking a little before getting in the pool. That might warm your feet up before hopping in the cold pool.

Sorry for this unsolicited advice. It just stood out to me.

Hey, I'm ALWAYS up for advice, solicited or not!

It is something I am VERY prone to...doesn't always happen, but it happens frequently. And thankfully never during a race or in OW. I don't think it's from pointing my toes or from my kick, I actually think and it seems to happen from shoving off the side, and towards the end of a swim as opposed to the beginning (and often signals the end of a swim!!!). I've had it even be bad in the shower afterwards. It tends to walk off but stay crampy if I stay swimming. This might be a good reason to try swim tethers, as I type this out...to see if removing the turn also removes the cramping tendency.

Thank you for your input, I will definitely keep an eye on my toe "posture". :-)

Sandi

Edited by sandishr 2018-01-31 4:16 PM

2018-01-31 6:25 PM
in reply to: sandishr

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Wow.  Two days off the grid and so much to catch up on.

In no particular order...

@Sandi/John:  I'm a total Daniels groupie, and subscribe to the old adage, "run often, mostly easy, sometimes hard".  One mile is one mile, and it matters.  To save time, you could do 10 minutes on the treadmill of easy jogging before biking or swimming, or as a cool down from a hard bike ride.  I used to run home 1+ miles from swim practice. 

@Nicole:  Great news on the diagnosis.  Did I read that right, 27" 50s with open turns????  Oh, and you had to go there and bring up strength training...don't you know that subject is forbidden on BT??   My n =1 agrees with you, especially involving core work and the "posterior chain" muscles.  

@Sandi:  My feet cramp, too, almost like clockwork once I hit about an hour in the pool.  The hamstrings start around 4K but I've only been there a few times.  I do some calf stretching on my recovery, which seems to help but doesn't totally solve it.  And I don't really point my toes as I'm a steel-ankled leg-dragger in the pool, so I have no explanation.

@John/Gretchen:  T.M.I.    I've been lucky that I generally adjust to saddles, rather than the opposite.  I will say that indoors my saddle causes some numbness so I just stand up for a bit.  I really don't have the problem outdoors because you shift around so much.

@Andrew/Eric:  Man, I remember those days.  Now my daughter swims, bikes and runs with me.  Well, in reality she swims by me and I slow down to let her keep up on the bike and she just starting training for running.  I have this feeling she really wants to beat me in our sprint tri in June.  On Father's Day.  

@Mark/Jenn:  Smart ramp up in swimming.  Sometimes the muscle memory just comes back and we overshoot our ability to absorb the training, and wind up injured.  

I think that's everyone.  I'm up in CT this week facilitating/moderating/(babysitting?) a design session.  Some easy hotel workouts for me, including my 15 yard pool here.  Got in 0.7 miles running today during 45' on the TM with no problems, other than it being 5:30 in the morning.  Short bike primer workout tomorrow then ToS starts Friday with two hours of thrashing on the trainer.

It's awesome how busy this group is this year.

2018-01-31 7:41 PM
in reply to: #5232499

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Two mile rage run this afternoon after a terrible afternoon at work. Followed shortly by some rage yoga. Rage yoga...it isnt a thing for a reason.
2018-01-31 9:55 PM
in reply to: #5236776

User image

DeLand, Florida
Gretchen I have no idea what that is but its the funniest thing I've read all day!

- John
2018-02-01 10:48 AM

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

Originally posted by drfoodlove Two mile rage run this afternoon after a terrible afternoon at work. Followed shortly by some rage yoga. Rage yoga...it isnt a thing for a reason.

Great, now I'm picturing screaming with rage while in a yoga pose. Could be good therapy!

Yesterday was 1000m in the pool and this morning was a 3 mile run. I was considering upping my swim distance right up to 1500m next week however I'll heed Mike's advice and ramp it up from here. I have a few months before Wildflower so no need to rush.

2018-02-01 10:56 AM
in reply to: MOlsen

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Tell us more about rage yoga!

2018-02-01 1:33 PM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Originally posted by Rollergirl

Tell us more about rage yoga!

Rage yoga is what you get when you aren't physically capable of running far or fast enough to vent all of your rage, but know you still must do flexibility work after the run. Basically, it is stewing over whatever you're mad about while trying to hold yoga poses and soak in the calming effects of yoga. It didn't work very well at all.
2018-02-01 1:35 PM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Swim workout shortened by my very chatty coach. I was aiming for 45', but ended up at just 30' because he came and parked himself at the edge of my lane and talked for 20'. Nice conversation, but I had to cut my workout short as a result.
2018-02-01 1:36 PM

User image

DeLand, Florida

Originally posted by Rollergirl Tell us more about rage yoga!
Rage yoga is what you get when you aren't physically capable of running far or fast enough to vent all of your rage, but know you still must do flexibility work after the run. Basically, it is stewing over whatever you're mad about while trying to hold yoga poses and soak in the calming effects of yoga. It didn't work very well at all.

Haha ok it is what it sounds like then.  Yes, totally the opposite of the point of yoga.  Largely because you need to be relaxed in order for the stretching to work.  I'm sorry Gretchen that stinks.  Hopefully whatever it is has gotten better!

2018-02-01 1:47 PM
in reply to: sandishr

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by sandishr

Originally posted by nicole14e

Hey Sandi, question for you. Your feet cramping...does it happen all the time or like, at the end of a hard workout? If it's all the time, you might be able to fix it. Next time you are swimming think about your kick. If you are really *trying* to point your toes/are pointing too hard, I think that might be the culprit. Your feet should be pointed but relaxed, if that makes sense. If they are stiff they are going to be more likely to cramp, especially if you are not fully warmed up yet when the cramps start.

You could also try walking a little before getting in the pool. That might warm your feet up before hopping in the cold pool.

Sorry for this unsolicited advice. It just stood out to me.

Hey, I'm ALWAYS up for advice, solicited or not!

It is something I am VERY prone to...doesn't always happen, but it happens frequently. And thankfully never during a race or in OW. I don't think it's from pointing my toes or from my kick, I actually think and it seems to happen from shoving off the side, and towards the end of a swim as opposed to the beginning (and often signals the end of a swim!!!). I've had it even be bad in the shower afterwards. It tends to walk off but stay crampy if I stay swimming. This might be a good reason to try swim tethers, as I type this out...to see if removing the turn also removes the cramping tendency.

Thank you for your input, I will definitely keep an eye on my toe "posture". :-)

Sandi

Oh that makes sense, I have teammates whose feet cramp at the end of workouts too. That is less concerning then! And that definitely makes sense, the pushing off the wall thing! Let us know if you end up trying out a tether!
2018-02-01 1:52 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

@Nicole:  Great news on the diagnosis.  Did I read that right, 27" 50s with open turns????  Oh, and you had to go there and bring up strength training...don't you know that subject is forbidden on BT??   My n =1 agrees with you, especially involving core work and the "posterior chain" muscles.  

Haha yes you read that right. I was surprised too, especially since I was somehow to hold that for all 6! Might try flip turning if my knee is feeling good.

Lol! I know we've had monthly challenges involving strength training, and it is not for everyone, but it's so helpful!

2018-02-01 1:53 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

Two mile rage run this afternoon after a terrible afternoon at work. Followed shortly by some rage yoga. Rage yoga...it isnt a thing for a reason.

Oh man, rage runs feel so good! Sorry you had a rough afternoon at work, though!
2018-02-01 1:56 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

Swim workout shortened by my very chatty coach. I was aiming for 45', but ended up at just 30' because he came and parked himself at the edge of my lane and talked for 20'. Nice conversation, but I had to cut my workout short as a result.

That's the worst! One time I tried going swimming with a girl I'd only met once or twice before. After each 50 or 100 she would want to chat for like, 2 minutes. I think what should've been a 30 minute swim ended up being about 10 minutes of actual swimming. One reason I like masters so much
2018-02-02 7:33 AM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
35' on the spin bike this morning, trying to keep cadence above 85 while alternating between higher and lower "gears". My legs are complete toast right now, so I'm guessing it was a good workout!
2018-02-02 10:33 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
I chose sleep over practice this morning. Got home from my microbiology lab late and it just wasn't happening. Going tomorrow though. Feeling blah without working out all week. My only current motivation is my fitbit step challenge with some friends.

Speaking of fitbit, anyone on there? If so, we need to find each other so we can do weekly challenges. I love these things.
2018-02-02 1:31 PM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

This morning was 1000m in the pool, long course. My shoulders are feeling it more than the short course swims from earlier this week. Slow ramp up from here is in order! Just started using my Garmin 920 for pool swims. On my short course swims it tracked the laps accurately but this morning it added an extra length to my second set. Fortunately I keep a mental count while I swim so I don't rely on it however it does throw the stats off a bit.

This weekend will include a day of over indulgence on Super Bowl Sunday so I plan on running that morning for around 12 miles to burn off extra calories before hand. Looking forward to "beer reports" on Monday!

2018-02-02 3:01 PM
in reply to: MOlsen

Nashville, Tennessee
@Nicole - I wear my Fitbit everyday but never really look at the stats, I agree it would be cool to set up challenges with everyone, you may have to let me know how to do that...ha

@Mark - I love my Garmin 920xt for swims and pretty much everything else. I did have one morning where the lanes were adjusted to LC (50meters) and my watch was still in SC (25yrds) That made for some interesting times when I finished but luckily I was able to basically cut my distance somewhat in half of what it told me.

Not a great week for me training wise, lot going on with family and job so I'm considering buying some warm Coors Light for a penalty...ha Anyways, ready for a great weekend and jumping back in on Monday. Hope everyone has a great weekend.

Eric
2018-02-03 4:24 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by drfoodlove 35' on the spin bike this morning, trying to keep cadence above 85 while alternating between higher and lower "gears". My legs are complete toast right now, so I'm guessing it was a good workout!

The Machine is back!!!  

Tour of Sufferlandria Stage 1 in the books...two videos "smashed-up" into one, Who Dares (basically a set of race winner repeats) and The Rookie (which is a bunch of over-unders).  Almost two hours in total.  It hurt, but the workouts were similar to what I've been doing so I could handle it.  Today is an hour of sprints and then low-RPM climbs, which are NOT what I've been doing.  And I have some saddle soreness already - thanks Gretchen and John for jinxing me!!  

@Mark - my 920 is a little sensitive, too.  The accelerometer can react to all kinds of stuff, but at least it's close.  The problem I have with it is that I'm totally reliant on it now to count laps...

Edited by jmhpsu93 2018-02-03 4:24 AM
2018-02-03 4:26 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by drfoodlove Two mile rage run this afternoon after a terrible afternoon at work. Followed shortly by some rage yoga. Rage yoga...it isnt a thing for a reason.

There were some days in Bikram that I felt like the rage was directly at me.

2018-02-03 10:47 AM
in reply to: #5232499

User image

Is this group still open? I like beer! If it is I would like to join and give my bio then.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » 2018 Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Always Open Rss Feed  

of 44

RELATED POSTS

Manatees - 2018 Edition Now CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 111 112 113 114

Started by cdban66
Views: 55681 Posts: 2836

2018-12-31 6:06 PM cdban66

BE the BALL Group - OPEN Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by billeckert
Views: 14614 Posts: 180

2018-07-16 8:27 PM scottjjmtri99

Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete - Always OPEN Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29

Started by k9car363