Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Marvelous Manatees - Stronger than Ever! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 33

2023-02-23 4:01 AM
in reply to: melbo55

Extreme Veteran
Wilmington, NC
Subject: RE: Marvelous Manatees - Stronger than Ever!
Originally posted by melbo55

Does anyone have any free weight training apps/sites/whatever they could recommend? 

There are lots of free ones out there

1. Fitness Blender (fitnessblender.com)
2. Madfit.com
3. Garmin app has some
3. Nike Fitness trainer app

For the past 3 years I have used Beachbody on Demand app (and so does Jenn) which has a bunch of different workout/programs.

What are you looking for in particular?

Leanne

2023-02-23 12:42 PM
in reply to: canadarn2001

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by canadarn2001

Does anyone have any free weight training apps/sites/whatever they could recommend? 

There are lots of free ones out there 1. Fitness Blender (fitnessblender.com) 2. Madfit.com 3. Garmin app has some 3. Nike Fitness trainer app For the past 3 years I have used Beachbody on Demand app (and so does Jenn) which has a bunch of different workout/programs. What are you looking for in particular? Leanne

Looking for something that will offer a plan, perhaps, and what exercises to do on those days. Since I've been a slacker lately, I've noticed my strength is not what it was or should be.  So looking to add some strength and muscle which may aid in some weight loss.  Another option would be to stop being a slacker!

2023-02-23 10:20 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado

There are lots of free ones out there 1. Fitness Blender (fitnessblender.com) 2. Madfit.com 3. Garmin app has some 3. Nike Fitness trainer app For the past 3 years I have used Beachbody on Demand app (and so does Jenn) which has a bunch of different workout/programs. What are you looking for in particular? Leanne

Looking for something that will offer a plan, perhaps, and what exercises to do on those days. Since I've been a slacker lately, I've noticed my strength is not what it was or should be.  So looking to add some strength and muscle which may aid in some weight loss.  Another option would be to stop being a slacker!

Ugh... please tell me once you figure out how stop being a slacker...
I wrote myself multiple plans and goals, and everything around, and I can't find motivation to do those exercises at home. I keep procrastinating or finding reasons why it will be better if I start next week.

I started swimming again. I love it, I am so happy I still remember how to do it and that it feels awesome. Although.... getting back to swimming shape is awful :/ I did 400 meters and was done... I probably could've pushed myself, but my form was getting weaker, so I stopped. I know it takes a moment to get back in shape, and that we need to build the mileage, but I am impatient Looking forward to some progress!
2023-02-24 6:07 AM

Extreme Veteran
Wilmington, NC

Beachbody on demand app has programs. Jenn from the group and I just did Fire and Flow. There are all kinds of programs ranging from 1 week to 13 weeks and everything in between. Yoga, pilates, strength, barreblend, cardio, step, etc. Workouts range from 10 minutes to 60 minutes. Perfect example is P90X if you remember that one from back in the day. I prefer 30 minutes and under.

Jenn -> what's your input??
2023-02-24 1:01 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Cypress, Texas

Originally posted by marysia83

Ugh... please tell me once you figure out how stop being a slacker... I wrote myself multiple plans and goals, and everything around, and I can't find motivation to do those exercises at home. I keep procrastinating or finding reasons why it will be better if I start next week. I started swimming again. I love it, I am so happy I still remember how to do it and that it feels awesome. Although.... getting back to swimming shape is awful :/ I did 400 meters and was done... I probably could've pushed myself, but my form was getting weaker, so I stopped. I know it takes a moment to get back in shape, and that we need to build the mileage, but I am impatient Looking forward to some progress!

I started swimming again too.  I took two and half weeks off from everything after last race in November,  I then added running, and cycling back but didn't get back in the pool until the TriDot program started a week and a half ago. I tried to tell the program to not give me swim workouts by not putting any events with swim in my race schedule, but the TriBot was wise to me and gave me hour swims on Tuesdays/Thursdays.  I also enjoy swimming.  It is one of the reasons that I stuck with Triathlons rather than going back to running after my first race.  It is just harder to plan and seems to take too much time away from the rest of the crammed weekly schedule. 

What is swimming shape?  I was suppose to do 4 x 200yd at Z4 pace for one workout with the remaining 45 minutes at Z2.  The swim results came in with about 8 minutes in Z2 and the rest in Z1.  I suck at swimming.  Going all out for a 200 I can get in Z2 speeds for about 100m then I fade and am toast for the rest of the workout.  

Edited by BlueBoy26 2023-02-24 1:04 PM
2023-02-24 2:13 PM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I hope that everyone has a great weekend!

For the past few months, we've had beautiful weather during the week and then either a cold snap or rain on the weekend. Every. Single. Week. I am about over that.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed that we have a string of great weekends starting soon!

Sending good weekend thoughts your way!

2023-02-24 2:43 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by jmkizer

For the past few months, we've had beautiful weather during the week and then either a cold snap or rain on the weekend. Every. Single. Week. I am about over that.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed that we have a string of great weekends starting soon!

I hope you have great weather. We are having stupid hot and humid weather and I am not amused

2023-02-24 2:46 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by amd723

I hope you have great weather. We are having stupid hot and humid weather and I am not amused

60s today, while I am working, but 40s with "all day rain" tomorrow. Boo!

2023-02-24 2:51 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Hot and humid, my favorite weather combo. /s

I'll send you some of our cooler weather if you send just a little of your heat this way, deal?  Just a little...

2023-02-24 2:53 PM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Pennsylvania

Ugh... please tell me once you figure out how stop being a slacker... I wrote myself multiple plans and goals, and everything around, and I can't find motivation to do those exercises at home. I keep procrastinating or finding reasons why it will be better if I start next week. I started swimming again. I love it, I am so happy I still remember how to do it and that it feels awesome. Although.... getting back to swimming shape is awful :/ I did 400 meters and was done... I probably could've pushed myself, but my form was getting weaker, so I stopped. I know it takes a moment to get back in shape, and that we need to build the mileage, but I am impatient Looking forward to some progress!
The motivation struggle is real!  It's interesting: when I was paying a coach I'd rarely skip workouts regardless of the busy-ness and chaos of my life but now, coach-less, I find it tough to make myself do workouts even though I do enjoy working out.  Ugh, my brain!

But hey, you got yourself back to the pool and are enjoying it, that's a huge plus!  Keep it going!

2023-02-25 12:26 PM

User image

Expert

I'll send you some of our cooler weather if you send just a little of your heat this way, deal?  Just a little...

We had 12" of snow on Thursday. Anyone want to trade? haha

2023-02-26 3:30 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

Extreme Veteran
Wilmington, NC
Sooo....has anyone ever been to Seattle?

Scott's new job is with a company out of Seattle called Seagen. He is going there fore work at the end of April and I am thinking of tagging along. His meeting will be north of the city in Bothell.

We aren't big 'city' people. I have been to Seattle but Scott has not so of course we'd need to do at least one touristy day there to see Pike's Market and downtown but I'd love to do some outdoorsy stuff. So...if any of you know anything about the area let me know!

Leanne
2023-02-26 3:33 PM
in reply to: BlueBoy26

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by BlueBoy26

I started swimming again too.  I took two and half weeks off from everything after last race in November,  I then added running, and cycling back but didn't get back in the pool until the TriDot program started a week and a half ago. I tried to tell the program to not give me swim workouts by not putting any events with swim in my race schedule, but the TriBot was wise to me and gave me hour swims on Tuesdays/Thursdays.  I also enjoy swimming.  It is one of the reasons that I stuck with Triathlons rather than going back to running after my first race.  It is just harder to plan and seems to take too much time away from the rest of the crammed weekly schedule. 

What is swimming shape?  I was suppose to do 4 x 200yd at Z4 pace for one workout with the remaining 45 minutes at Z2.  The swim results came in with about 8 minutes in Z2 and the rest in Z1.  I suck at swimming.  Going all out for a 200 I can get in Z2 speeds for about 100m then I fade and am toast for the rest of the workout.  

Oh, interesting. At least you do enjoy swimming

I did 500 m today and it felt tiring for the first 300, and then I somehow felt so good I could go even further... but decided to stick with the 500 - since that was my goal for today. I don't want to fatigue and injure myself so early in my training season. But the "feels good" feeling is definitely motivating
2023-02-26 3:36 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado

The motivation struggle is real!  It's interesting: when I was paying a coach I'd rarely skip workouts regardless of the busy-ness and chaos of my life but now, coach-less, I find it tough to make myself do workouts even though I do enjoy working out.  Ugh, my brain!

But hey, you got yourself back to the pool and are enjoying it, that's a huge plus!  Keep it going!

Oh same here! If I go to the class (fitness class or any class) I will do all the workout. At home I just can't get myself to do anything, regardless how great the app or Youtube video is

Swimming is getting better, but now I suck in pushing myself to bike... why??? I think I just need to START and then it will get easier. Right now I am looking for silly excuses such as: I need to get the bike from the basement, I wonder if the tires have enough air, i don't know where the helmet is.... ugh... like a little baby!
2023-02-26 3:40 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado

Sooo....has anyone ever been to Seattle?

Scott's new job is with a company out of Seattle called Seagen. He is going there fore work at the end of April and I am thinking of tagging along. His meeting will be north of the city in Bothell.

We aren't big 'city' people. I have been to Seattle but Scott has not so of course we'd need to do at least one touristy day there to see Pike's Market and downtown but I'd love to do some outdoorsy stuff. So...if any of you know anything about the area let me know!

Leanne

I have not been, but hikes in Washington are on my wish list! How long are you planning to stay there?
I have one friend who moved there, but she lives on the border of Oregon and Washington. She does windsurfing, and lots of hiking/backpacking, so she absolutely loves it there. Another friend was considering moving there claiming it had everything one could dream of, but am not sure what he refered to specifically he was planning to move from Chicago, and in my opinion almost everything is better than Chicago, so I am biased

As for the weather discussion, I have absolutely no problem with hot and humid!! My family hates me that I don't want to turn A/C at night ;p
2023-02-26 3:42 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado
I hope everyone is having a great weekend! Was anyone racing yesterday/today? Sorry if I missed it!

2023-02-26 4:54 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by canadarn2001 Sooo....has anyone ever been to Seattle? Scott's new job is with a company out of Seattle called Seagen. He is going there fore work at the end of April and I am thinking of tagging along. His meeting will be north of the city in Bothell. We aren't big 'city' people. I have been to Seattle but Scott has not so of course we'd need to do at least one touristy day there to see Pike's Market and downtown but I'd love to do some outdoorsy stuff. So...if any of you know anything about the area let me know! Leanne

i LOVE Seattle! I did an internship in the downtown district attorney’s office my last year of law school - so it’s been a minute  Seattle has lots of outdoor activity opportunities. Lake Washington has a number of paths can bike or run. You can also kayak on it. Just west of Seattle is Olympic National Park. It is so big it has 3 different eco systems On of which is a rain forest. Lots of hikes in the park and beautiful glacier fed lakes. In Seattle is Discovery park which is super cool. There really are so many parks and lakes and bike routes you will definitely have things to do outdoors.

2023-02-26 5:12 PM

Extreme Veteran
Wilmington, NC

I hope everyone is having a great weekend! Was anyone racing yesterday/today? Sorry if I missed it!

I raced yesterday. I did a half marathon in my hometown. It was windy, cool and raining but I still ran well.

I now do not have a race until May!

Leanne
2023-02-26 5:15 PM

Extreme Veteran
Wilmington, NC

Originally posted by canadarn2001 Sooo....has anyone ever been to Seattle? Scott's new job is with a company out of Seattle called Seagen. He is going there fore work at the end of April and I am thinking of tagging along. His meeting will be north of the city in Bothell. We aren't big 'city' people. I have been to Seattle but Scott has not so of course we'd need to do at least one touristy day there to see Pike's Market and downtown but I'd love to do some outdoorsy stuff. So...if any of you know anything about the area let me know! Leanne

i LOVE Seattle! I did an internship in the downtown district attorney’s office my last year of law school - so it’s been a minute  Seattle has lots of outdoor activity opportunities. Lake Washington has a number of paths can bike or run. You can also kayak on it. Just west of Seattle is Olympic National Park. It is so big it has 3 different eco systems On of which is a rain forest. Lots of hikes in the park and beautiful glacier fed lakes. In Seattle is Discovery park which is super cool. There really are so many parks and lakes and bike routes you will definitely have things to do outdoors.

I think we might fly there on a Friday and stay through til the next Thursday or Friday so a week. Scott's meeting are Tues-Friday so I would be solo during the day up in Bothell for 3 days OR I would fly home before him and go back to work but that doesn't sound fun.

I will research Lake Washing, Discovery Park and Olympic National Park. All sound great to me.

Thanks
Leanne
2023-02-26 5:46 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado

I raced yesterday. I did a half marathon in my hometown. It was windy, cool and raining but I still ran well.

I now do not have a race until May!

Leanne

Ahh yes, I saw it on Strava! Wounds like a great race! How are you feeling today?
2023-02-26 5:57 PM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Originally posted by JBacarella

I'll trade! We've only been getting 4-6" every Wednesday the past month or so. 12" might give my husband a snow day!

2023-02-27 2:34 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by marysia83 I hope everyone is having a great weekend! Was anyone racing yesterday/today? Sorry if I missed it!
I raced yesterday. I did a half marathon in my hometown. It was windy, cool and raining but I still ran well. I now do not have a race until May! Leanne

Nice!

2023-02-27 2:34 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I think we might fly there on a Friday and stay through til the next Thursday or Friday so a week. Scott's meeting are Tues-Friday so I would be solo during the day up in Bothell for 3 days OR I would fly home before him and go back to work but that doesn't sound fun. I will research Lake Washing, Discovery Park and Olympic National Park. All sound great to me. Thanks Leanne

That sounds awesome!

2023-02-27 8:06 PM
in reply to: fortissimo

User image

Expert
Originally posted by fortissimo

I'll trade! We've only been getting 4-6" every Wednesday the past month or so. 12" might give my husband a snow day!

4-6" is in the pain in the behind level. Enough to have to shovel and create problems, but not enough to close anything. You can keep your moderate levels of snow. ( the members in the South are saying these people are nuts).
2023-02-27 8:06 PM
in reply to: fortissimo

User image

Expert
Originally posted by fortissimo

4-6" is in the pain in the behind level. Enough to have to shovel and create problems, but not enough to close anything. You can keep your moderate levels of snow. ( the members in the South are saying these people are nuts).
New Thread
Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Marvelous Manatees - Stronger than Ever! Rss Feed  

of 33