Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 40

2008-01-08 10:22 PM
in reply to: #1092958

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Subject: RE: owl_girl's Group --- FULL!
For me the worst of the road rash and muscle stuff loosened up in about 1-2 weeks. So 2 weeks to race day includes some taporing and just getting back healthy for the race. I hope things go well.

2008-01-09 1:39 AM

User image

Elite
far northern CA
Thanks so much everyone.  I updated my blog with a little more info.  I'm exhausted.  The hotel I'm at has a fitness room.  I hope the treadmill is ok.  I'm going to try and run in the morning before I hit the road again.  Take care!
2008-01-09 3:19 PM

User image

Vancouver BC
wow owl goes away and we all get very queit
2008-01-09 7:30 PM

User image

Pro
Olney, MD

So, how is everyone doing today? Today I rode my bike on rollers instead of a trainer stand. Never have I worked so hard for so few miles (and definitely sweated more that I ever did on the trainer). During the first 20 minutes I frequently lost center and balance and fell over (and came close to hurting myself). However, I managed to go the final 24 minutes non-stop. Hopefully as I become more comfortable with this I'll be able to push the speed and distance back up!

I'm scheduled to swim tomorrow and run Friday, but I'm going to flip these so I don't have to run in the rain on Friday. 

2008-01-09 10:20 PM

User image

Vancouver BC

I did not feel like my wlak again today so I did a bike instead

I  am now doing lundry and packing  it amasing how much stuff  it takes to go away

2008-01-09 10:43 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
I am still trying to reaclamtize to being home at 4500 feet.

I have slowed down my pace considerably and have found a pace I can sustain for 6-7 miles needing to walk. So, overall im at like 50 miles run and 100 miles ish biked so far in 08. Hopefully I will be back up to snuff by next week.

I entered a run challange and hope to do a half mary in March, I am thinking of the one in Sacramento. The Shamrock whatever. Work is going to be very buisy between now and then.

2008-01-10 2:37 AM
in reply to: #1146022

User image

Elite
far northern CA

princessamy - 2008-01-09 1:19 PM wow owl goes away and we all get very queit

I heard that!!!!

Just checking in.  Got my run in on the treadmill at the hotel.  I'm glad I got it done.  Not sure I'll be able to get a workout in tomorrow.  Dad said the pool at the YMCA is really nice so I might be able to go check it out.

I think this would be a great time to talk about how to get workouts done while we are really, really busy.  You all know what's going on with me.  What are some of your workout limiters?  Kids?  Work?  Friends?  Significant other?  What solutions have you come up with in the past or are you "stuck"?

I had A LOT of time by myself while driving here!  Lots to think about!  It's a good thing I like myself!   Good night!

2008-01-10 2:38 AM
in reply to: #1146574

User image

Elite
far northern CA
MDHillSlug - 2008-01-09 5:30 PM

So, how is everyone doing today? Today I rode my bike on rollers instead of a trainer stand. Never have I worked so hard for so few miles (and definitely sweated more that I ever did on the trainer). During the first 20 minutes I frequently lost center and balance and fell over (and came close to hurting myself). However, I managed to go the final 24 minutes non-stop. Hopefully as I become more comfortable with this I'll be able to push the speed and distance back up!

I'm scheduled to swim tomorrow and run Friday, but I'm going to flip these so I don't have to run in the rain on Friday. 

Wow!!!  Great job on the rollers!!  I would need a fully padded room!!!

2008-01-10 2:40 AM
in reply to: #1147002

User image

Elite
far northern CA

Baowolf - 2008-01-09 8:43 PM I am still trying to reaclamtize to being home at 4500 feet. I have slowed down my pace considerably and have found a pace I can sustain for 6-7 miles needing to walk. So, overall im at like 50 miles run and 100 miles ish biked so far in 08. Hopefully I will be back up to snuff by next week. I entered a run challange and hope to do a half mary in March, I am thinking of the one in Sacramento. The Shamrock whatever. Work is going to be very buisy between now and then.

You'll get back to it soon enough.  It takes about 10 days to acclimate to higher elevation.

2008-01-10 6:52 AM

User image

Veteran
Cape Coral, FL , Florida
i wish i had the chance to train at higher elevation heck down here we are not but about 10 feet above sea level . im sure it would be rough but would like to get a go . the only thing i see i got is the weather every where i have ever done a race its much cooler which i find easy once i get moving but not untill then
when things get busy with work and company i turn to early mornings and twice a day workouts . that is about the only way i have found to do it .
2008-01-10 8:33 AM
in reply to: #1147121

User image

Pro
Olney, MD
owl_girl - 2008-01-10 3:37 AM

I think this would be a great time to talk about how to get workouts done while we are really, really busy. You all know what's going on with me. What are some of your workout limiters? Kids? Work? Friends? Significant other? What solutions have you come up with in the past or are you "stuck"?

My main, overall solution has been to workout first thing in the morning. I get up at 5:30 and it's me time. In the evening after work there are too many things competing for my time and it's too easy to just say "I'm tired" and skip a workout. Some mornings I feel a little stressed trying to get to work at a decent time but I always know that whatever else happens I've already got my training in. 

2008-01-10 9:08 AM

User image

Vancouver BC

I have always let everything else get in my  way

that why this year every one knows and is involed so that they can help keep me on track being accountable.

I do like my morinng workouts but skiped my today in favor of have my down time to double check packing. I feel bad about it already... but if my son forget anything when he goes to his father  his father buys it in the most expensive versoin he can find  then take the money off my child suport so I am a bit  obese with this.  

2008-01-10 10:28 AM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Changing over to am workouts would probably be more consistent or more easily consistent, but I sooo hate the mornings. Also, I can not get in bed before 11:00 pm 3 nights a week and if I am up at say 5 am that leaves only 6 hours of sleep and I am out of it at work all day. If I try to alternate days, say workout one night and then the next am, I do not have enough recovery time and my workout sucks big time. I am really a night owl and can stay up late to workout as needed.

If I gave up my 7-11 pm commitment 3 days a week I could change over. I have considered it, but am not yet willing to do that. I would then have to learn to fall asleep at like 9pm.

I used to work graveyard shift in the ER and well shifting to am shift would be hard. In fact I was doing this insane masaters, practicum and graveyard thing that went 7:30 am to 3:10 practicum and then 3:15 to 2 am ER and doing grad classes in my spare time.

Oh well, work is burning me out these days and I have way too much of it to do today.

Fresh snow on the ground.... could be a down hill ski weekend. Although that tends to burn this odd little muscle in my knee when I am running this much. Maybeeee that little muscle has been strengthened by all my hard work... or maybe it will put me out of running for 3 days. Tough call. (/ramble off).
2008-01-10 10:41 AM
in reply to: #1147121

User image

Master
Silverton, Oregon
owl_girl - 2008-01-10 1:37 AM

I heard that!!!!

Just checking in.  Got my run in on the treadmill at the hotel.  I'm glad I got it done.  Not sure I'll be able to get a workout in tomorrow.  Dad said the pool at the YMCA is really nice so I might be able to go check it out.

I think this would be a great time to talk about how to get workouts done while we are really, really busy.  You all know what's going on with me.  What are some of your workout limiters?  Kids?  Work?  Friends?  Significant other?  What solutions have you come up with in the past or are you "stuck"?

I had A LOT of time by myself while driving here!  Lots to think about!  It's a good thing I like myself!   Good night!

My husband travels continuously for his job, and I go with him a good deal of the time. My only form of exercise used to be going to group exercise classes, and that was really difficult because in most the small towns he goes to there isn't a gym. Training for triathlon was a great solution to the problem. Most the time we can find a hotel with a pool, and I have a swim tether that works great even in the smallest of pools. I have a trainer for the bike that travels with us in the winter time (I don't bike in the snow ). Running is easy to do anywhere, and I love running in new locations. I also bring a fitness ball, bands, and hand weights for core and strength training. It's my own little traveling gym

As far as time constraints go. . . I've also found early mornings to be best. As the day goes on too many other things can get in the way, and I can always get up a little earlier than usual (even if I don't really like to )

2008-01-10 10:50 AM

User image

Veteran
Cape Coral, FL , Florida
speaking of a bike trainer i really need to start looking at buying one . we have hurricane season not far off and i dont want to let it slow things down . i just dont know which one . ofcourse everything i read about them the company says theres is what you need . i want a good one can you guys that have used one give me some input
2008-01-10 12:27 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pacific NW
Owl -- good for you for still getting your workouts in! I was always too lazy to find a solution when I was busy. I suppose that's part of how I got so fat.

I've been feeling under the weather for the past couple of days and it hit me full force yesterday. I think I slept for like 16 hours yesterday/last night. It's mostly my throat, but I also feel really tired. Like my whole body weighs three times what it normally does. So...do I work out tonight and just cut the intensity down? Or do I wait until I'm feeling better?

2008-01-10 12:35 PM

User image

Vancouver BC
If yur troubles are above the neck little moderate exercise is probably OK. If you have flu-like symtoms and a fever, rest.  That not me  talking but  my doctors friend the one that  keeps putting my leg in a cast. He was here so I figured I ask
2008-01-10 12:37 PM

User image

Vancouver BC
what i forgot to add there is he says it take me about a month to have my leg musle back up to the same as the other and to keep it slow till then
2008-01-10 1:08 PM

User image

Pro
Olney, MD
What Amy said I've also heard a lot. Even if it's only in your head it's important to listen to your body. If you are feeling fatigued then you probably want to lay off the training, or only train at low intensity.
2008-01-10 2:23 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Mac, cyclops fluid 2 trainer for the win. You can read reviews if you want but everyone on the boards pretty much has that one. $150 delivered and you need a speedo hooked up to your rear wheel.
2008-01-10 5:35 PM
in reply to: #1147763

User image

Elite
far northern CA
ronislye - 2008-01-10 8:41 AM
owl_girl - 2008-01-10 1:37 AM

I heard that!!!!

My husband travels continuously for his job, and I go with him a good deal of the time. My only form of exercise used to be going to group exercise classes, and that was really difficult because in most the small towns he goes to there isn't a gym. Training for triathlon was a great solution to the problem. Most the time we can find a hotel with a pool, and I have a swim tether that works great even in the smallest of pools. I have a trainer for the bike that travels with us in the winter time (I don't bike in the snow ). Running is easy to do anywhere, and I love running in new locations. I also bring a fitness ball, bands, and hand weights for core and strength training. It's my own little traveling gym

As far as time constraints go. . . I've also found early mornings to be best. As the day goes on too many other things can get in the way, and I can always get up a little earlier than usual (even if I don't really like to )

I forgot to throw my trainer in the truck!   That would have been great!

Roni, you have such a great travel set-up!  I think I'm going to steal some of your ideas!

2008-01-10 5:37 PM
in reply to: #1147719

User image

Elite
far northern CA

Baowolf - 2008-01-10 8:28 AM Changing over to am workouts would probably be more consistent or more easily consistent, but I sooo hate the mornings. Also, I can not get in bed before 11:00 pm 3 nights a week and if I am up at say 5 am that leaves only 6 hours of sleep and I am out of it at work all day. If I try to alternate days, say workout one night and then the next am, I do not have enough recovery time and my workout sucks big time. I am really a night owl and can stay up late to workout as needed. If I gave up my 7-11 pm commitment 3 days a week I could change over. I have considered it, but am not yet willing to do that. I would then have to learn to fall asleep at like 9pm. I used to work graveyard shift in the ER and well shifting to am shift would be hard. In fact I was doing this insane masaters, practicum and graveyard thing that went 7:30 am to 3:10 practicum and then 3:15 to 2 am ER and doing grad classes in my spare time. Oh well, work is burning me out these days and I have way too much of it to do today. Fresh snow on the ground.... could be a down hill ski weekend. Although that tends to burn this odd little muscle in my knee when I am running this much. Maybeeee that little muscle has been strengthened by all my hard work... or maybe it will put me out of running for 3 days. Tough call. (/ramble off).

I have a really hard time with mornings, too.  Surprised?  Shouldn't be.   I guess I'm just gonna have to suck it up and go early.  I'm still going to try and get a swim in today.  Wish me luck!  Cheers!

2008-01-10 6:04 PM

User image

My limitations to working out consistently are:

Mornings are tough during the week.  Wife leaves for work at 4 AM. Club opens at 4 AM. Daughter 1 (16 years old) needs to wake up at 5 AM and can’t wake up via alarm clock or phone call. Must be shaken to wake up (we’re working on this). Daughter 2 (13 years old) needs to wake up at 6 AM. This is easy. Son 1 (6 years old) needs to wake up at 6:30 AM, be fed, dressed and make sure homework is in back pack. I leave for work at 6:45 while it’s still dark. 

Evenings are tough during the work week. I get home after dark. Son needs to be taken to Karate or Soccer. Daughter 2 needs to be taken to soccer. Daughter 1 needs to be taken to the mall, her boy friends house, her BFF’s house, needs shampoo, needs to be taken to Driving School (this may actually be a good thing, eventually). Oh, I forgot, tonight both girls have appointments with the orthodontist.

On weekends, it gets real fun. All three kids have soccer games starting 30 minutes apart from each other, but 25 minutes driving distance from each other.
What they don’t know is that I swim, bike and run, because one of these days, I’ll be able to go far enough, I won’t hear them anymore.  

All joking aside, they’re great kids and I wouldn’t give them up for anything. I get about 3 hours during the work week I can work out. When the oldest one is able to get up using an alarm clock, I’ll have the possibility of an hour or so each work day. Weekends create a much better opportunity.

Edited by Rodney 2008-01-10 6:05 PM
2008-01-10 9:26 PM

User image

Veteran
Cape Coral, FL , Florida
where can i find the speedo hookup i have looked around and not sure what im looking for
2008-01-10 11:05 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Yay 35 miles on mr trainer tonight, hangin in there.

Oh you just need the metal thing that clips on the tire spoke to be on the back tire and the reader to be on the back crossbar or to have a wirless system. You can do that with almost any speedometer.

Edited by Baowolf 2008-01-10 11:18 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » owl_girl's Group --- FULL! Rss Feed  

of 40