General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 171

2011-06-02 8:00 PM
in reply to: #3006331

User image

New user
Louisville, KY
Subject: RE: Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread
Anyone have an idea on how CDA rates for allergens? I'm choking down Claritins by the handful here in Louisville, but we're number 1 or 2 worst places in the US for allergies. Hoping maybe for some improved performance related to cleaner air.

2011-06-02 8:31 PM
in reply to: #3529303

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olympia, WA

spudone - 2011-06-02 10:18 AM Western Australia Dec 2011 for me.  Logistically... not easy

Seriously? Now that's cool!

2011-06-02 9:33 PM
in reply to: #3529979

User image

Veteran
WA
jamesarr - 2011-06-02 5:00 PM

Anyone have an idea on how CDA rates for allergens? I'm choking down Claritins by the handful here in Louisville, but we're number 1 or 2 worst places in the US for allergies. Hoping maybe for some improved performance related to cleaner air.

Don't know about a rating, but I have been having sinus issues after every long ride around here (CDA). Nose runs like crazy during ride then sinus headache later. I'm thinking pine pollen may be an issue this year at race time because everything is blooming so late.
2011-06-02 9:59 PM
in reply to: #3529979

jamesarr - 2011-06-02 8:00 PM Anyone have an idea on how CDA rates for allergens? I'm choking down Claritins by the handful here in Louisville, but we're number 1 or 2 worst places in the US for allergies. Hoping maybe for some improved performance related to cleaner air.

Everyone is probably sensitive to different things. I usually have allergies to grass pollens and it is worse for me from mid June to mid July.

2011-06-02 10:05 PM
in reply to: #3530118

Master
, California
Adidas - 2011-06-02 7:59 PM

jamesarr - 2011-06-02 8:00 PM Anyone have an idea on how CDA rates for allergens? I'm choking down Claritins by the handful here in Louisville, but we're number 1 or 2 worst places in the US for allergies. Hoping maybe for some improved performance related to cleaner air.

Everyone is probably sensitive to different things. I usually have allergies to grass pollens and it is worse for me from mid June to mid July.

I didn't seem to have any problems in the days prior to last year's race.  But since I've suffered from allergies pretty much my whole life, I took a Claritin the night before the race just to be on the safe side.

2011-06-02 10:23 PM
in reply to: #3529282

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olympia, WA

WaterDog66 - 2011-06-02 10:03 AM Question for the Cool Kids:

What Ironman Race are you all planning on doing in 2012. Will you be signing up for CdA 2012 on Saturday, or maybe you are planning on getting in the queue to sign up for a different race. There might be one or two of us that are just going to be glad that it is over and swear off forever this silly notion of the Ironman.

Since I can only swim and bike at CdA this year, I will definitely have that "unfinished business" feeling and will certainly sign up for a 2012 race.  I just don't know which one.  My options are CdA, Canada or Arizona.  There are various pluses and minuses to each for me.  I'd certainly do Arizona this year if there were any foundation slots left, but those are the breaks.  Has anybody done either Canada or Arizona and have any thoughts on how they compare to CdA?

Brad

2011-06-02 11:16 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Strong Beach, CA
My May totals:Swim: 19,700 yards.Bike: 568 miles.Run: 170 miles.Really happy with my totals, especially my run miles.Damn iPhone can't format for this forum for some reason.

Edited by jackson61802 2011-06-02 11:20 PM
2011-06-03 5:21 AM
in reply to: #3529836

User image

Champion
NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete

lmscozz - 2011-06-02 5:57 PM 24 days!!!!

Don't do that!

2011-06-03 6:59 AM

For me it will be something that is logistically manageable...and ironically means South Africa, France, Austria, England, China if it goes or something like that. Also depends what happens in CDA, I may also look at one of the challenge races if it fits my schedule better.
2011-06-03 7:04 AM

Did a Half Ironman Simulation this morning and went well. Swam 2000m, (1000 in wetsuit then took it off for another 1000 as was too hot even at 4:30in the morning!), then rode 3hrs on the trainer and ran 1 1/2 hrs on the treadmill. 44 degrees Celsius here today so not much happening outside!

Everything went well, ran an hour at 3:30marathon pace then cranked it up to 3:00hr marathon pace. Felt pretty solid and was enjoying the A/C inside!

Next week at this time I will be half way through our 23hr trip home. Have a 6hr bike planned tomorrow and looking at doing it all on the trainer, then a 2 1/2 hr run on Sunday we are going to try and get in outside but leaving at 3:30am.
2011-06-03 7:11 AM

User image

Master
Millersville, MD

Some excellent advice going on in this thread about attitutude and mentality.  Since you're all aerobic exercise junkies at this point, I'll borrow the prayer from AA:

"Lord grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to discern the difference"

Not only will this get you through taper madness... it's also a KEY to race execution.  Here's an excerpt from my last IM race report:

Race day was what I expected. I had read every race report I could find, both for Lake Placid specifically and for ironman in general. I felt like I had my nutrition strategy dialed in, all the logistics mentally rehearsed – all I needed to do was execute and my day would go great. But I couldn’t help but have a little anxiety as I waded into mirror lake. I had read far too many race reports about first-time iroman participants being humbled by the distance. I knew I had no idea what miles 130+ felt like. But I also had a plan to manage the things that were in my control, and to not worry about the things outside of it… to stick to the plan, yet be flexible and adaptable based on the reality of how my race was going throughout the day.

10:20:48 felt really, really good. I knew it meant I had prepared well and executed well, and that I had nothing to regret about the day. When I got into the water in the morning, I told myself I did not care what my finish time was and that I had a million things to be thankful for even if the day did not go well. I think I was blessed to have success beyond what I really thought was possible, and that it was doubly-rewarding to do it with an attitude that there were more important things about my day than what the clock said when I crossed the line.

I'm really thankful to have been able to do IM with that attitude, and I think it actually helped me do very well... better than I would have done if I had tons of anxiety on race day (generally we humans don't like not being in control of everything, and IM is a great tool to help us grow/mature in that department).

2011-06-03 8:30 AM

Champion
No excuses!

Have had a horrible training week up til today. Worked about 45 hrs in 4 days and starting to feel the pressure of getting everything in line to be able to head to CDA and then on vacation for a week. It has been since August of 2000 since I have taken a full week off from work (oh the joys of being your own boss) so the pressure is mounting.

Leaving in a bit to ride from GR Michigan down to South Bend IN which if I don't get lost should be 111 miles according to google maps. 73 freakin turns on there route!!!!! WTF

Then tomorrow morning running the Sunburst Marathon as my last long run nice and easy. Hopefully I don't get poured on today.

2011-06-03 8:33 AM
in reply to: #3530135

Champion
No excuses!
citaltfort - 2011-06-02 11:23 PM

What Ironman Race are you all planning on doing in 2012. Will you be signing up for CdA 2012 on Saturday, or maybe you are planning on getting in the queue to sign up for a different race. There might be one or two of us that are just going to be glad that it is over and swear off forever this silly notion of the Ironman.

Since I can only swim and bike at CdA this year, I will definitely have that "unfinished business" feeling and will certainly sign up for a 2012 race.  I just don't know which one.  My options are CdA, Canada or Arizona.  There are various pluses and minuses to each for me.  I'd certainly do Arizona this year if there were any foundation slots left, but those are the breaks.  Has anybody done either Canada or Arizona and have any thoughts on how they compare to CdA?

Brad

I did AZ the first year they moved it to November. Nothing too scenic but I loved everything about that race. The city is awesome. 3 loops on both the bike and run which I loved. SLight incline heading out on the bike so slight decline coming back.

Also leaving a snow storm in Michigan to get to 80 degree Tempe was a plus too. Laughing

2011-06-03 9:02 AM

User image

Veteran
WA
I'll be signing up for CDA 2012 the day before CDA 2011.
2011-06-03 10:44 AM
in reply to: #3530561

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olympia, WA
Shermbelle - 2011-06-03 6:33 AM

Brad

I did AZ the first year they moved it to November. Nothing too scenic but I loved everything about that race. The city is awesome. 3 loops on both the bike and run which I loved. SLight incline heading out on the bike so slight decline coming back.

Also leaving a snow storm in Michigan to get to 80 degree Tempe was a plus too. Laughing

Thanks! I was wondering if people like or don't like the three loop thing.  I can set it would help chunk it up, but I also wondered if people get bored.

2011-06-03 11:21 AM

Master
, California
Now's a good time for everyone to write up their gear checklist.  I went through mine last night - I have checkboxes for "own it" and "packed / ready to go".  I'm pretty disorganized so I always have to write this down or else I'll forget something.

2011-06-03 11:43 AM
in reply to: #3530898

User image

Elite
Fishers, Indiana
citaltfort - 2011-06-03 8:44 AM
Shermbelle - 2011-06-03 6:33 AM

Brad

Thanks! I was wondering if people like or don't like the three loop thing.  I can set it would help chunk it up, but I also wondered if people get bored.

Oh, I loved the 3 loops for the bike and the run! Made pacing easier to figure out, and I feed off spectator cheers and all--seriously, it's free speed for me--and it was great to see people like you did here.  Finishing the first lap of each you think "sweet, 1 lap done, I feel great!" 2nd lap- ehh, keep on pushing, you can do it. 3rd lap- sweet mama, I'm on my last lap! Awesome!  Sure, scenery is great, and I plan on enjoying CdA, but people keep me entertained too, and I wouldn't call it an "ugly" course (not beautiful, but not ugly).

There was a tad bit of crowding on the bike some, and a few of the dirty, nasty drafters, but other than a few, it really wasn't bad on the bike.  The run never felt over crowded at all, and you're just around people cheering so much that it's encouraging. I liked it enough that I'm doing it again!

2011-06-03 12:19 PM

User image

Salt Lake City, UT

I love reading race reports and plans during my taper period (I'm not in taper yet, but I've started reading anyway).  I'm sure most of you have read everything there is to read here, and you might have googled IMCDA race report to death like me as well.

In case you haven't found this one, here is a race plan that I like very much.  I found it last year and I credit it for helping me break down the bike portion of the race.  Read his race report after reading his race plan and you'll see how well he executed on race day.

http://ironmanjohn07.blogspot.com/2008/06/ironman-coeur-dalene-race-day-game-plan.html

I use a print out of the bike course map to write notes about where hills start and how I'll mentally chunk up the race.  I find that it's a helpful tool for mental preparation.

2011-06-03 1:30 PM
in reply to: #3525665

User image

Expert
WA
JoshKaptur - 2011-05-30 10:02 PM

Hang in there!!!!  Like I said to kkcbelle about the hamstring injury... everyone gets some sort of unplanned obstacle or hurdle thrown into their path to Ironman, and that makes the finish that much more special.  For some of us, unfortunately, that obstacle is one that will prevent us from doing it this time.  But that really truly does make it that much more amazing when you get there next time.  When you're ready to start thinking about that, here's my race report from my Iroman dream deferred.

Thanks for the link to the race report Josh!! Very inspiring and well written!

2011-06-03 1:32 PM
in reply to: #3531152

User image

Expert
WA
kiki_zen - 2011-06-02 10:19 PM

I love reading race reports and plans during my taper period (I'm not in taper yet, but I've started reading anyway).  I'm sure most of you have read everything there is to read here, and you might have googled IMCDA race report to death like me as well.

In case you haven't found this one, here is a race plan that I like very much.  I found it last year and I credit it for helping me break down the bike portion of the race.  Read his race report after reading his race plan and you'll see how well he executed on race day.

http://ironmanjohn07.blogspot.com/2008/06/ironman-coeur-dalene-race-day-game-plan.html

I use a print out of the bike course map to write notes about where hills start and how I'll mentally chunk up the race.  I find that it's a helpful tool for mental preparation.

Thanks for sharing that race report/link.  It definitely helps with the mind set and visualizing the race.  I have to do more of that.  Execution is going to be KEY!

2011-06-03 1:51 PM

User image

Salt Lake City, UT

Topic 2 for the day: planning for the scary stuff

I wanted to share the parts of the course that I find scary.  My intention is not to freak people out, but to make sure you are paying attention and hopefully making the course safer for yourself and everyone else.  I know sugar badger don't give a sh*t, but I real don't want to die doing an Ironman.  I'm personally imprinted by seeing a tarp covered body on the bike course of my first Ironman.  My daughter was only six at the time, and I had a major "am I a selfish unfit mother for doing sh*t like this" moment.

I think the most dangerous part of this course is the swim, specifically the start to the first turn. I have done this swim three times, and I have never gotten through it without significant contact.  I've tried starting inside the buoys, in the center, and way too the right.  Nothing has improved the whack-a-mole experience.  I am a middle of the pack swimmer, which for this course is 1:10-1:20ish.  I'm sure this is the main contributing factor.  The second factor is I'm a small female.  Anyway, I am not a tentative swimmer.  Swimming is my first sport.  I even like swimming in chop and waves, but swimming with 2000 people is unpredictable.  To mitigate this risk, I mentally rehearse what I'll do if I get hit badly or suck in too much water.  Make sure you have an escape plan too.  If you are at all prone to anxiety attacks on the swim, I would start way to the back of the field.

On the bike course, there are four points to really pay attention, be courteous and smart. 

1. The mount line through the first turn on to Lakeside.  This area is narrow and many people will not be paying attention while clipping in or going through fast through the turn.  This turn should be taken with caution on the second loop, as well, as you will have speed heading into it.

2. The big descent on cd'a lake drive as you head back to town from the lake side out an back.  There is a fairly sharp turn at the bottom of the hill and many people ride this descent too aggressively, especially on the first loop.  I'm not saying to give up free speed, but pay attention to the crazy people around you that think they are going to Kona but obviously don't have the bike handling skills.

3. One technical turn on Lakeview Dr. has you head to the English Point climb.  Most people seem to have mellowed out by this point, but still good to pay attention and know your own skill level.

4. The 180 degree turn around on Ohio Match Road.  You shouldn't have a lot of speed heading into this turn and you'll know it's coming.  But...Slow down. Pay attention.  This is the perfect place to break a collar bone or wrist.

The run should be worry free if you've paced correctly (not easy, mind you) unless the weather is a factor.  Coeur d'Alene has a long range of potential temperatures at this time of year.  You should have a heat and extreme cold plan and you should bring gear for both no matter what the 10 day forecast says.  You can really only partially trust even the 3 day forecast.  I've never hit a cold year, but I've seen lots of people suffering from cramping and heat exhaustion on the hot years.

Hopefully this is helpful and doesn't sound to preachy.  Anyone disagree or have something to add?

2011-06-03 2:24 PM

Master
, California

Anyone disagree or have something to add?

Just regarding the swim: I stayed almost on top of the buoy line last year and it wasn't really a problem.  The key to the first turn (if you're MOP) is to just accept that you're not going to swim through it.  Really.  It's a logjam, so get your head up out of the water and float in your wetsuit.  Keep your hands sculling and just pick your way through the people.  If you try to swim heads down around that turn, you're going to get dunked and kicked.

Once it straightens out again, you can get back into a draft position and the pack will begin to stretch out.

2011-06-03 2:51 PM
in reply to: #3531378

User image

Expert
Coeur D'alene, ID
kiki_zen - 2011-06-03 10:51 AM

Topic 2 for the day: planning for the scary stuff

I think the most dangerous part of this course is the swim, specifically the start to the first turn. I have done this swim three times, and I have never gotten through it without significant contact.  I've tried starting inside the buoys, in the center, and way too the right.  Nothing has improved the whack-a-mole experience.  I am a middle of the pack swimmer, which for this course is 1:10-1:20ish.  I'm sure this is the main contributing factor.  The second factor is I'm a small female.  Anyway, I am not a tentative swimmer.  Swimming is my first sport.  I even like swimming in chop and waves, but swimming with 2000 people is unpredictable.  To mitigate this risk, I mentally rehearse what I'll do if I get hit badly or suck in too much water.  Make sure you have an escape plan too.  If you are at all prone to anxiety attacks on the swim, I would start way to the back of the field.

On the bike course, there are four points to really pay attention, be courteous and smart. 

1. The mount line through the first turn on to Lakeside.  This area is narrow and many people will not be paying attention while clipping in or going through fast through the turn.  This turn should be taken with caution on the second loop, as well, as you will have speed heading into it.

2. The big descent on cd'a lake drive as you head back to town from the lake side out an back.  There is a fairly sharp turn at the bottom of the hill and many people ride this descent too aggressively, especially on the first loop.  I'm not saying to give up free speed, but pay attention to the crazy people around you that think they are going to Kona but obviously don't have the bike handling skills.

3. One technical turn on Lakeview Dr. has you head to the English Point climb.  Most people seem to have mellowed out by this point, but still good to pay attention and know your own skill level.

4. The 180 degree turn around on Ohio Match Road.  You shouldn't have a lot of speed heading into this turn and you'll know it's coming.  But...Slow down. Pay attention.  This is the perfect place to break a collar bone or wrist.

The run should be worry free if you've paced correctly (not easy, mind you) unless the weather is a factor.  Coeur d'Alene has a long range of potential temperatures at this time of year.  You should have a heat and extreme cold plan and you should bring gear for both no matter what the 10 day forecast says.  You can really only partially trust even the 3 day forecast.  I've never hit a cold year, but I've seen lots of people suffering from cramping and heat exhaustion on the hot years.

Hopefully this is helpful and doesn't sound to preachy.  Anyone disagree or have something to add?

Great advice, especially the turn on Lakeview.  Seems at least one rider overcooks that turn every year and ends up in the ER. 
Two other places on the bike course that can be tricky:  at the end of Lakeside right in town, at the "Hot Corner", is a really tricky hard right turn onto Northwest Blvd.  It's at the end of a steady downhill through the biggest crowds and the adrenaline is flowing.  Don't carry too much speed into this corner as there is a traffic island that makes you keep a pretty tight line and you'll end up in the fence if you're not careful.  The other "be careful" corner is where Hayden Loop Rd takes a 90 degree left onto Dodd Rd.  There are hay bales here for a reason.  You're coming off a fairly steep downhill on which it's pretty easy to push 40mph and then you're suddenly into a 90 degree tight turn.  This is the turn where probably the most crashes take place.  When the course volunteer tells you to slow down, they mean it.
As for the weather?  Yeah...good luck with the forecast.  I live here and am content when the two day forecast is fairly close.  5-10 days?  No way.  Believe it or not, this is one of the most difficult areas in N. America to forecast weather accurately, for a variety of reasons.  That said, race day is usually pretty nice so don't fret about it too much.  Hope this is helpful.
2011-06-03 3:58 PM

User image

Expert
Portland, OR
My heart just skipped a beat when a new email from IM CDA came up - I was like "OMG! Are #s already out?" Numbers aren't available yet but the Athlete Guide has been released.

Hooray! It's getting real people!
2011-06-03 4:01 PM

User image

Salt Lake City, UT

One item that we have been discussing has been clarified in the athelete guide.  The bike will have an additional cutoff point.  It was previously listed as "2nd lap of bike course must be completed".  Now it's a cutoff at the ohio match road turn around.

1:30 p.m. 1st Lap of Bike Course Must be Completed

4:00 p.m. Bike cutoff at the turnaround at Ohio Match Rd.

5:30 p.m. Bike Course Closes

Edited by kiki_zen 2011-06-03 4:06 PM
New Thread
CLOSED
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 171