BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 127

2020-11-10 10:21 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
Subject: RE: Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED

Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by amd723

Trainer Talk

I am in the market for a direct drive trainer. I have been using a Kickr Snap and I think that this is the month that I the upgrade. I have a few questions for you. What are your thoughts on Black Friday sales this year? Yea or Nay?

My requirements, aside from the obvious accurate and will not breaking the bank include that it is relatively easy to move (about 15 feet before and after each ride) and does not take long to set up.

My oddball question is how does one store a bike without a rear wheel on it?

It looks like the Kickr, Neo, and H3 are all 47 pounds -- about 10 pounds heavier that the Kickr Snap so I don't think that moving the new beastie will be a problem if I can get ahold of it. It looks like the H3 has a nice handle on it and the Kickr as well. All three seem to fold up a bit.  Ann-Marie, do you have an Elite?  What model?  How do you like it?

What is the difference between the Kickr v5 and the Kickr Core?

A new toy, yay!

Yes, I have an Elite Suito. I think it is in the group of trainers DC Rainmaker lists as mid-high end whereas the ones you listed he lists as high-end. It comes fully assembled and with a cassette -though i had to change mine out bc i put an older bike on the trainer, so needed a 10-speed v 11.Once i got that sorted and things tightened down properly things have been very smooth. It responds pretty quickly to power changes during intervals and I think it;s accurate, though I really have no way to know that for sure! It's a compact size, has a handle, and folds up so if i needed i could stick it under a bed.  I got it in last year's Black Friday deals, so got it at a good price. All in all it does what I need it to do, but I do have a bit Of NEO and KICKR envy!

Regarding what you do with a bike without a back wheel - I have no idea, mine stays on at all times.

Right, I have the Suito, Neo, Kickr, and H3 on my list. 

My trainer is used in the living room.  I store it in the dining room (aka, Zoe's room) when I am not using it.  Kevin has the bonus room for his use, primarily because I was at the gym most mornings years ago when the spaces were divvied up (remember spin classes?!). 

And it's out! The Smart Trainer Recommendations Guide: Winter 2020-2021

2020-11-10 10:26 AM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by juniperjen

Trainer Talk

I am in the market for a direct drive trainer. I have been using a Kickr Snap and I think that this is the month that I the upgrade. I have a few questions for you. What are your thoughts on Black Friday sales this year? Yea or Nay?

My requirements, aside from the obvious accurate and will not breaking the bank include that it is relatively easy to move (about 15 feet before and after each ride) and does not take long to set up.

It looks like the Kickr, Neo, and H3 are all 47 pounds -- about 10 pounds heavier that the Kickr Snap so I don't think that moving the new beastie will be a problem if I can get ahold of it. It looks like the H3 has a nice handle on it and the Kickr as well. All three seem to fold up a bit.  Ann-Marie, do you have an Elite?  What model?  How do you like it?

A new toy, yay!

Yes, I have an Elite Suito. I think it is in the group of trainers DC Rainmaker lists as mid-high end whereas the ones you listed he lists as high-end. It comes fully assembled and with a cassette -though i had to change mine out bc i put an older bike on the trainer, so needed a 10-speed v 11.Once i got that sorted and things tightened down properly things have been very smooth. It responds pretty quickly to power changes during intervals and I think it;s accurate, though I really have no way to know that for sure! It's a compact size, has a handle, and folds up so if i needed i could stick it under a bed.  I got it in last year's Black Friday deals, so got it at a good price. All in all it does what I need it to do, but I do have a bit Of NEO and KICKR envy!

Regarding what you do with a bike without a back wheel - I have no idea, mine stays on at all times.

We have the Tacx Neo 2.0 (my husband's but i've taken it over for HIM training) - and it is pretty heavy and not very convenient to move. We have dedicated space for the bikes to stay out so we don't have to worry about it (and right now i am riding a different bike outside) - though i have been trying drag it back bit by bit so i can see our one mounted tv better. 

What about maybe a hook on the wall for storing it? so you hang up your bike? 

I think that using hooks is probably the correct answer. 

I've had two people tell me the Tacx Neo, two say the Elite Suito, and one say Kickr Core.  I expect that all of these options are probably on the mark.

2020-11-10 10:27 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Hey Manatees! How's it going? We are having amazingly mild weather here in Toronto - and i am still riding outside! I am just checking out the weather - and each weekend, i think 'this might be the last' but so far so good. This past weekend was in SHORTS (this never happens) but the one before was totally bundled. I told a training friend i wanted to ride outside until the snow flies .... so here's to as many as i can get!

Nice! Riding outside with friends for the win!

2020-11-10 10:34 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Trainer Talk

A new toy, yay!

We have the Tacx Neo 2.0 (my husband's but i've taken it over for HIM training) - and it is pretty heavy and not very convenient to move. We have dedicated space for the bikes to stay out so we don't have to worry about it (and right now i am riding a different bike outside) - though i have been trying drag it back bit by bit so i can see our one mounted tv better. 

What about maybe a hook on the wall for storing it? so you hang up your bike? 

I think that using hooks is probably the correct answer. 

I've had two people tell me the Tacx Neo, two say the Elite Suito, and one say Kickr Core.  I expect that all of these options are probably on the mark.

yeah, doubt you can go wrong with any of your choices. Not having to calibrate the NEO is a nice feature though...

2020-11-10 10:35 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Hey Manatees! How's it going? We are having amazingly mild weather here in Toronto - and i am still riding outside! I am just checking out the weather - and each weekend, i think 'this might be the last' but so far so good. This past weekend was in SHORTS (this never happens) but the one before was totally bundled. I told a training friend i wanted to ride outside until the snow flies .... so here's to as many as i can get!

Nice! Riding outside with friends for the win!

im happy you are having such nice weather, but am not happy that I am still having not too far from summer weather! I am nice weather jealous!!

2020-11-10 3:21 PM

We got several inches of snow last week. Then on Saturday night and Sunday morning it decided to dump rain by the bucket load. And then it all froze up again, as our overnights have been in the low to mid 20's. So now we have a whole lot of very crunchy, icy snow outside. Needless to say, road riding is done for the season. I've got my trainer in the office with me now and am plenty happy to have it here.

2020-11-10 7:43 PM
in reply to: alaskatri

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
NOT shorts weather here! Cold, damp, and blustery. Might ride outside this weekend but Rover is in still the shop having a tune-up. Having brake cables replaced as they have been feeling dicey and we have some SERIOUS hills here. Hope they will finish soon. Last time I rode outside (week ago Sunday) it was 30's (F) and I had to start in 3 layers, hand warmers in gloves, and toe covers. Took a picture at Wendling Bridge for my FB page and I look positively chubby. (And if you know me, I'm NOT chubby. Visualize a slightly tall, prematurely grey middle schooler and that is basically me.)
2020-11-11 12:37 PM
in reply to: BlueBoy26

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by BlueBoy26

Originally posted by IndoIronYanti

Originally posted by BlueBoy26

Well...I will be selling a farm soon too.... 

that is sad. Did I miss why you are selling?

That's really sad. I'm glad you can see some upsides. Which city are you moving to? 10 million?!?! 

I'm closing down our family farms as well. Extremely mixed emotions too. It was the last vestige of family businesses my dad started (he's no longer alive).

First off I have to say that it is really cool to have you back in the Manatees group.  As a new Manatee, I didn't get to participate with you when you were in the group before, but we hear about some of the former core members and it is nice to be able to connect with them.

I will be moving to Houston, Texas.  It will be a culture shock.  I have lived in big cities before (Salt Lake City, San Fransisco, Denver, and Tulsa) but growing up in a big city the thing that I always looked forward to the most was getting out of the city.  My Grandfather lived on a dairy farm 4 hours from us and that was my favorite place to go.  Later I did a ton of camping through the Boy Scouts and even had my permanent address as a Tent in the mountains for a few months between moves.  I was 45 minutes from the closest town and I got letters delivered to my tent that were sent via the US Postal Service.  So having work move me to a town with a population of less than 5,000 people 11 years ago was the best thing in the world for me.  5 years later I was transferred to another small manufacturing town of 18,000 people and it was a good size place for us too.  I get transferred every 5-6 years and this time it will be to a big manufacturing town.  I loved living in big towns when I was there before. I just will miss the country life and dream of moving back some day.

Aw, that's so sweet of you. Thank you. Yes, I was a core Manaweerdo

Oh that's hilarious about getting letters in a tent. I'm reading a book about an older-middle-age couple who lost their home, then went walking on Britain's coastal trail camping in a tent.

Houston has much to offer and it sounds like you make the best of wherever you are.

2020-11-11 12:44 PM

User image

Melon Presser

That's really sad. I'm glad you can see some upsides. Which city are you moving to? 10 million?!?! 

I'm closing down our family farms as well. Extremely mixed emotions too. It was the last vestige of family businesses my dad started (he's no longer alive).

Yanti, I'm sorry to hear about your farms as well.  It sounds like you are in Jakarta with Mutti, is that right?  Are you planning to keep your place in Bali?

I am, and I am. The Bali Funny farm endures! Kingsley and I went back and visited regularly there but then the world blew up. It's not viable for long-term living for me since the seas are toxic and medical care & medicine available are limited.

I'm starting to petition the Australian government to let me back in (been gone ~4 1/2 months, will likely be at least 6) but as so very few are allowed back in I don't expect it to happen soon. Our state in particular is not likely to open up until at least July if not end of year.

2020-11-11 1:16 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Hot Runner NOT shorts weather here! Cold, damp, and blustery. Might ride outside this weekend but Rover is in still the shop having a tune-up. Having brake cables replaced as they have been feeling dicey and we have some SERIOUS hills here. Hope they will finish soon. Last time I rode outside (week ago Sunday) it was 30's (F) and I had to start in 3 layers, hand warmers in gloves, and toe covers. Took a picture at Wendling Bridge for my FB page and I look positively chubby. (And if you know me, I'm NOT chubby. Visualize a slightly tall, prematurely grey middle schooler and that is basically me.)

We had a cold snap last time I was in WNC.  I was glad to be riding gravel -- slower speeds, trees to block the wind.

2020-11-11 1:18 PM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Yanti, I'm sorry to hear about your farms as well.  It sounds like you are in Jakarta with Mutti, is that right?  Are you planning to keep your place in Bali?

I am, and I am. The Bali Funny farm endures! Kingsley and I went back and visited regularly there but then the world blew up. It's not viable for long-term living for me since the seas are toxic and medical care & medicine available are limited.

I'm starting to petition the Australian government to let me back in (been gone ~4 1/2 months, will likely be at least 6) but as so very few are allowed back in I don't expect it to happen soon. Our state in particular is not likely to open up until at least July if not end of year.

Whew! It's a relief to know that the Funny Farm endures!  I'm glad to hear that you are petitioning to get back to Australia.  I know that it will be a long process but getting it started sounds like the logical next step.

2020-11-11 9:47 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Had a request for my "chubby" cold weather cycling pic with all the layers so attempting to attach it. Same bridge and same me as on my birthday in August! (Thank goodness, despite being within the Level 3 Evacuate Now zone during the fires, the bridge and surrounding farms were not burned.) Also a crazy selfie of me getting ready to drive home from the (outdoor) pool on Election Night (temps in mid 30's) in wetsuit, parka, and required mask. As one of my similarly attired fellow swimmers joked, "We could probably engage in voter intimidation right now if we had a mind to." (There is a county ballot box right in front of the pool, and this is less than two hours before voting closed.) Triathletes are truly crazy people!

Edited by Hot Runner 2020-11-11 9:55 PM

(IMG_20201101_113119366.jpg)

(IMG_20201103_180237798.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
IMG_20201101_113119366.jpg (2969KB - 3 downloads)
IMG_20201103_180237798.jpg (179KB - 4 downloads)
2020-11-12 6:27 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Hot Runner Had a request for my "chubby" cold weather cycling pic with all the layers so attempting to attach it. Same bridge and same me as on my birthday in August! (Thank goodness, despite being within the Level 3 Evacuate Now zone during the fires, the bridge and surrounding farms were not burned.) Also a crazy selfie of me getting ready to drive home from the (outdoor) pool on Election Night (temps in mid 30's) in wetsuit, parka, and required mask. As one of my similarly attired fellow swimmers joked, "We could probably engage in voter intimidation right now if we had a mind to." (There is a county ballot box right in front of the pool, and this is less than two hours before voting closed.) Triathletes are truly crazy people!

OMG! So may layers of gear on the bike! That adds a level of difficulty for sure!

So wet after the swim! I got cold just looking at you! Is the pool heated at least? 

Thanks for sharing.

2020-11-12 7:00 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by Hot Runner Had a request for my "chubby" cold weather cycling pic with all the layers so attempting to attach it. Same bridge and same me as on my birthday in August! (Thank goodness, despite being within the Level 3 Evacuate Now zone during the fires, the bridge and surrounding farms were not burned.) Also a crazy selfie of me getting ready to drive home from the (outdoor) pool on Election Night (temps in mid 30's) in wetsuit, parka, and required mask. As one of my similarly attired fellow swimmers joked, "We could probably engage in voter intimidation right now if we had a mind to." (There is a county ballot box right in front of the pool, and this is less than two hours before voting closed.) Triathletes are truly crazy people!

haha!

2020-11-12 10:27 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Yes, pool is heated. Maybe high 70's? It doesn't feel super-warm when you get in, but so far I've been fine swimming in my mini-wetsuit. Without it I tend to chill really fast if I have to stop. I'd be okay for continuous swimming though. Not as warm as the pool I'd normally swim at if swimming outside in winter, but that one is closed for renovation. In the past I swam outside at the other facility when I was home on winter break, in temps down to teens sometimes. That pool is smaller and tends to be low 80's. It's at a community center and is essentially two pools that used to be connectable into one big pool. 25m are outside and 25 yards are inside. A wall between them can be raised (well, could be at one time; it froze in place and I think fixing it is part of the renovation) to create one 50m pool. The one I'm now at is also outdoors and has the crazy feature of offering, depending on set-up and lane, 25 yard, 25 meter, and 50m lanes. (During lap swim, it's the 25 options.) It's kind of an L-shape with a handicap entrance and aqua-jog area that creates the differential. Our town has weird pools!

I got a Y membership last year because cold outdoor swimming with metalwork in arm was just too awful to contemplate. But I hated that pool. Even pre-Covid, the ventilation sucked and it was hard for me to breathe (asthma/chlorine/mold issues). It's a very old building and pieces of ceiling came down quite regularly in the locker room as well. And the promised six lanes turned out to be only 3 most of the time (others used for kid lessons or aqua-joggers only). So back swimming out in the cold again. LOL. At least it is lower-risk. Oregonians are crazy. I know there are other states with year-round outdoor pools but to my knowledge, they have warmer climates!
2020-11-13 10:12 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Well, it appears the governor just closed all pools, indoors and outdoor (plus a whole lot of other stuff) with no warning, starting Wendesday and going through at least 12/2. Waiting for confirmation from the pool but does not look good.

2020-11-14 2:24 AM

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by Hot Runner

Triathletes are truly crazy people! 

You don't say :P I guess that's why this is where I found my tribe ...

2020-11-14 7:56 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Hot Runner Well, it appears the governor just closed all pools, indoors and outdoor (plus a whole lot of other stuff) with no warning, starting Wendesday and going through at least 12/2. Waiting for confirmation from the pool but does not look good.

I'm sorry to hear this. Just what you need, even more chaos and uncertainty.  I hope the partial shutdown helps tamp things down.

2020-11-14 7:58 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I mentioned this to a few of you individually and then it occurred to me this morning that I should have posted it for the pod as a whole.

I received an email about the REI annual sale and the fine print said you cannot use the 20% off coupon for a bike trainer.

DCR said that the REI 20% off coupon actually does work.  I tried it and ordered a Kickr Core. I did ship to store and they estimated Nov 28 delivery.  (otherwise there was a heavy item shipping fee).  I may see if they'll put the cassette on for me while I am there ;-)

If you think that you want to use this coupon, move quickly. I know that in the past, sometimes their coupons worked a little bit better than REI intended them to. 

2020-11-14 8:00 AM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Hot Runner

Triathletes are truly crazy people! 

You don't say :P I guess that's why this is where I found my tribe ...

Haha! Who are you calling crazy?

2020-11-14 9:18 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

I mentioned this to a few of you individually and then it occurred to me this morning that I should have posted it for the pod as a whole.

I received an email about the REI annual sale and the fine print said you cannot use the 20% off coupon for a bike trainer.

DCR said that the REI 20% off coupon actually does work.  I tried it and ordered a Kickr Core. I did ship to store and they estimated Nov 28 delivery.  (otherwise there was a heavy item shipping fee).  I may see if they'll put the cassette on for me while I am there ;-)

If you think that you want to use this coupon, move quickly. I know that in the past, sometimes their coupons worked a little bit better than REI intended them to. 

I saw that the trainers were taken off the sale list pretty quickly, so you lucked out!

2020-11-14 9:21 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by Hot Runner Well, it appears the governor just closed all pools, indoors and outdoor (plus a whole lot of other stuff) with no warning, starting Wendesday and going through at least 12/2. Waiting for confirmation from the pool but does not look good.

I'm sorry to hear this. Just what you need, even more chaos and uncertainty.  I hope the partial shutdown helps tamp things down.

At least you have a governor who is trying to do something to control the virus, my governor (DeSantis) has not only removed all restrictions he has forbidden local cities from trying to control outbreaks! So, Florida numbers are once again heading up. DeSantis also hired some sports blogger who is a conspiracy guy, anit-mask, covid is a hoax person, with no background in anything relevant to work on covid stuff. So, we've got that going for us 

2020-11-14 11:11 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I saw that the trainers were taken off the sale list pretty quickly, so you lucked out!

ACK! Sorry that I didn't get a message out to the list sooner. Bad Janyne! Bad!

2020-11-14 2:38 PM

User image

Trainer Talk

A new toy, yay!

Right, I have the Suito, Neo, Kickr, and H3 on my list. 

My trainer is used in the living room.  I store it in the dining room (aka, Zoe's room) when I am not using it.  Kevin has the bonus room for his use, primarily because I was at the gym most mornings years ago when the spaces were divvied up (remember spin classes?!). 

And it's out! The Smart Trainer Recommendations Guide: Winter 2020-2021

Now the list comes out, haha!

My 10-year-old fluid 2Cyclops died a few months ago so I had to buy something new. Anyone else try to buy a trainer during the pandemic?

The only trainer I could find that was in my budget was the Tacx Flow Smart. It's good but not awesome. I like how it does increase the resistance when I'm "climbing" is Zwift. However, it does take a while for it to warm up and start reading a more accurate power and when I go into the big gears the wheel slips. The worst is when I get out of the saddle it does not feel stable. I do like it better than the Cyclops Fluid 2 I had, though. It is incredibly quiet compared to the Cyclops.
2020-11-14 2:50 PM
in reply to: fortissimo

User image

Oh, hi guys! thought I'd stop by a say hello.

Retired life, well the entire 3 weeks of retired life, is really good but busy. You know, cleaning closets, scrubbing floors, things you do that you don't have time to do when you're working but should.

Ready for the retired life twist? The district called me yesterday and asked if I would come back in January when my 110/year sub day numbers start all over. They are offering an increase in the daily rate they would pay me and pay my health insurance, which if my husband has to cover me again, will be almost $900/month.

So, what would you all do? Sub again in the same school in your same position but without the accountability because the class you're teaching doesn't really exist and you get to make up what you do every day? Or do I stay home with the cats and the thing that looks like a dog but has no idea how to be a dog? I love the kids and I love the people I work with, but do I do it with the unknown of COVID again?

On a brighter note, I've been cleared to start a "return to running" program. Right now I get to walk 4:30 min/lightly jog 30 seconds for 20 minutes 3 days per week. Watching paint dry is more exciting but at least I get to "run".

Hope everyone is well!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 127