BT Development Mentor Program Archives » LaurenSU02's group - CLOSED! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 66

2008-04-30 7:34 AM
in reply to: #1371471

User image

Expert
New Orleans
Subject: RE: LaurenSU02's group - CLOSED!

LaurenSU02 - 2008-04-30 7:17 AM G'mornin' everyone! How is your day looking?

Well, my ankle feels MUCH better today. So maybe I did worry a little too much that the sky was falling becaues I had a slight pain in my ankle. But I just wanted to be sure. I was planning on running after work, nice and easy to see how it feels, but I forgot about my son's baseball practice, so I'm going to try and get the run in during lunch.

Hope you all have a good day!

2008-04-30 7:44 AM
in reply to: #1371354

User image

Austin, Texas or Jupiter, Florida
Chlorine was actually one of the first chemical weapons (as Chlorine Gas) it was denser than air so it sunk into the trenches during WWI. So it should affect your membranes, nose, eyes, etc. The other thing to keep in-mind is that you're swimming in the morning just a few hours after the guards have to shock-treat the pool so the chlorine is usually at it's highest point during the morning swim. Good thing is that the HCL gets rid of infections like ringworm (I was a wrestler) and sea-lice (they're pretty bad down here).

The Running Sports Store down here will order Cliff Bars for cheap and then lump-on my company discount for a real bargain. Problem is can I really eat that many carrot-cake bars in a row???

I swam this morning again with the crew, got lapped again at the end. Only this time, we all got lapped by a girl (about 17) named Adrianna who apparently is a better runner than she is a swimmer and she won her age group at St. Anthony's. That kid was FAST!!!

No Trader Joes that I know of down here. Sucks too because I really like that place. Just Publix, Winn Dixie, and WALMART.
2008-04-30 8:20 AM
in reply to: #1371491

Champion
South Jersey
jjweav - 2008-04-30 8:34 AM

LaurenSU02 - 2008-04-30 7:17 AM G'mornin' everyone! How is your day looking?

Well, my ankle feels MUCH better today. So maybe I did worry a little too much that the sky was falling becaues I had a slight pain in my ankle. But I just wanted to be sure. I was planning on running after work, nice and easy to see how it feels, but I forgot about my son's baseball practice, so I'm going to try and get the run in during lunch.

Hope you all have a good day!

If the pain stays below a 3 (scale 1-10, 10 being worst pain), you're prob okay.

2008-04-30 9:24 AM
in reply to: #1371490

User image

Sensei
Sin City
Boston Beginner - 2008-04-30 5:34 AM

LaurenSU02 - 2008-04-30 8:17 AM G'mornin' everyone! How is your day looking?

Workout done for the day.  It so much easier when I get it done in the morning. 

I was walking into work this morning think to myself that I have been to the gym twice since I left here last night.  How many people that I work with have been to the gym twice this month?  Just a weird thought.  Have a good day everyone. 

Ha! Funny thought...  Just about every day I hit the gym up a couple times (lunch and after work), and sometimes even three (hopfully much less now that daylight savings lets me get workouts in outside after work).  I tend to be a worrier, so the thought has crossed my mind if they think my membership card is being used by more than one person and call me out on it!  The computer might tell them "this guy has been in at 6:00 am, noon, and 5:30.  He can't be here this much...."  I'm sure they don't give crap, but I still think about it.

2008-04-30 10:04 AM
in reply to: #1354013

User image

Regular
Columbus , OH
It’s bad; I just can't get myself to get out of bed and workout in the morning.  It’s not all that big of an issue since I'm pretty good at working out after work, but it is a lot harder to do at 7:30 at night.  I've just had enough 5am's with swimming that I enjoy "sleeping in" to 6.

I need to get my lazy butt out of the water and off the bike and into some running shoes or else I'll never get that great at the tri's.  My feet have just hurt for so long that actually getting myself to go train running is a chore.  I'm going to do my best to slowly build up the running and gradually work in the orthotics to get the best result.  I'm going to adjust my planned training to account for my new running regime.

2008-04-30 10:48 AM
in reply to: #1371895

User image

Elite
far northern CA
Aikidoman - 2008-04-30 7:24 AM
Boston Beginner - 2008-04-30 5:34 AM

LaurenSU02 - 2008-04-30 8:17 AM G'mornin' everyone! How is your day looking?

Workout done for the day.  It so much easier when I get it done in the morning. 

I was walking into work this morning think to myself that I have been to the gym twice since I left here last night.  How many people that I work with have been to the gym twice this month?  Just a weird thought.  Have a good day everyone. 

Ha! Funny thought...  Just about every day I hit the gym up a couple times (lunch and after work), and sometimes even three (hopfully much less now that daylight savings lets me get workouts in outside after work).  I tend to be a worrier, so the thought has crossed my mind if they think my membership card is being used by more than one person and call me out on it!  The computer might tell them "this guy has been in at 6:00 am, noon, and 5:30.  He can't be here this much...."  I'm sure they don't give crap, but I still think about it.

I work at a gym.  There are a few people that come in a couple of times a day.  We all know who they are since there are so few of them.  I think it is great that they come in so much!

Another thing I have noticed in the gym cracks me up every time.  Quite a few overweight people walk into the gym at a pretty fast clip, sign in, change clothes and then walk really, really slow on the treadmill or pedal really slow on the bike while reading.  I don't understand that one.  I'm glad they are there, though!  Has anyone else noticed that?

2008-04-30 11:07 AM
in reply to: #1372096

User image

Elite
far northern CA
dlswimmer - 2008-04-30 8:04 AM It’s bad; I just can't get myself to get out of bed and workout in the morning.  It’s not all that big of an issue since I'm pretty good at working out after work, but it is a lot harder to do at 7:30 at night.  I've just had enough 5am's with swimming that I enjoy "sleeping in" to 6.

I need to get my lazy butt out of the water and off the bike and into some running shoes or else I'll never get that great at the tri's.  My feet have just hurt for so long that actually getting myself to go train running is a chore.  I'm going to do my best to slowly build up the running and gradually work in the orthotics to get the best result.  I'm going to adjust my planned training to account for my new running regime.

I don't do very good with morning workouts either.  It just plain hurts!  I like working out later in the day when my muscles are all warmed up.  (I secretly wish races would start a little later in the morning.)  Just find a time that works for you.

2008-04-30 11:25 AM
in reply to: #1372096

User image

Expert
New Orleans

dlswimmer - 2008-04-30 10:04 AM  My feet have just hurt for so long that actually getting myself to go train running is a chore.  I'm going to do my best to slowly build up the running and gradually work in the orthotics to get the best result.  I'm going to adjust my planned training to account for my new running regime.

Go easy with the running from the beginning. I'd recommend starting off walking, and slowy add in a few minutes of running at a time. Good luck with it! 

2008-04-30 11:37 AM
in reply to: #1372387

User image

Regular
Columbus , OH
jjweav - 2008-04-30 12:25 PM

dlswimmer - 2008-04-30 10:04 AM  My feet have just hurt for so long that actually getting myself to go train running is a chore.  I'm going to do my best to slowly build up the running and gradually work in the orthotics to get the best result.  I'm going to adjust my planned training to account for my new running regime.

Go easy with the running from the beginning. I'd recommend starting off walking, and slowy add in a few minutes of running at a time. Good luck with it! 

I walk in my orthotics all day long.  well by walk I mean walk to my car and sit down at a computer for 9 hours... but walk none the less.  I am going to start tomorrow morning with 20 minutes half walking and half running and slowly build up from there.  I want to be able to go and run without worrying about not being able to walk later :-P

2008-04-30 11:45 AM
in reply to: #1372276

User image

Expert
WA
owl_girl - 2008-04-30 11:48 AM

Another thing I have noticed in the gym cracks me up every time. Quite a few overweight people walk into the gym at a pretty fast clip, sign in, change clothes and then walk really, really slow on the treadmill or pedal really slow on the bike while reading. I don't understand that one. I'm glad they are there, though! Has anyone else noticed that?

I totally have!  There are some people who go and stroll SUPER slow on the treadmills and just talk on their cell phones the whole time!  It's so funny to me.  

There is one man though who is quite overweight, and he also walks very slowly but i don't think it'd be quite good for him to go much faster because he is so heavy.  the cardio stuff is upstairs - i think half his workout is getting up the stairs!  but it's good to see him, i've seen him several times and i think he really is working to improve his health. 

2008-04-30 12:09 PM
in reply to: #1372460

User image

Sensei
Sin City
lisazapato - 2008-04-30 9:45 AM

Another thing I have noticed in the gym cracks me up every time. Quite a few overweight people walk into the gym at a pretty fast clip, sign in, change clothes and then walk really, really slow on the treadmill or pedal really slow on the bike while reading. I don't understand that one. I'm glad they are there, though! Has anyone else noticed that?

I totally have!  There are some people who go and stroll SUPER slow on the treadmills and just talk on their cell phones the whole time!  It's so funny to me.  

There is one man though who is quite overweight, and he also walks very slowly but i don't think it'd be quite good for him to go much faster because he is so heavy.  the cardio stuff is upstairs - i think half his workout is getting up the stairs!  but it's good to see him, i've seen him several times and i think he really is working to improve his health. 

I'll steal Lauren's thunder.  Auqajog!  If I was heavy due to my fault or outside forces (injuries, medical reasons)  I would be hitting the pool as much as Lauren!  Low impact, still a great workout.

Edited by Aikidoman 2008-04-30 12:10 PM

2008-04-30 12:11 PM
in reply to: #1372460

Champion
South Jersey
lisazapato - 2008-04-30 12:45 PM

What I crack up about is the people who spend only a few mins there. My gym doesn't open until 6 a.m. (I know, total bummer), and on shorter swim days, I sometimes don't stroll in until about 6:15 --- and there's people walking out of the gym after their workout! Seriously, they got up early and drove to the gym only to work out for 10-15 mins. It's so not worth it...just go for a walk around your neighborhood or something at that point. My friend's mom is one of those people. Sometimes I run into her leaving the gym at 6:15 a.m....I seriously wonder what she does in there .

2008-04-30 12:13 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Toledo, Ohio

I think its funny when people park as close as possible to the gym on a nice day out and then go in and walk on a treadmill. (although I've probibly done this at some point in my life...)

2008-04-30 12:22 PM
in reply to: #1372559

User image

Sensei
Sin City

There is a photo that made it's rounds on the net.  Shows a bunch of people riding the escalator (with steps right next to it) up to the front doors of a gym that was on the second floor of a mall type area.  I'll post if I can dig it up.

Also, we have elevators at the gym (for ADA reasons obviously) but I'm surprised about how many able bodied people use it.....

2008-04-30 12:45 PM

User image

Master
Olney, MD

I went to the gym on Monday night and was planning on swimming but when I got to the parking lot there were like 6 cars circling around trying to find parking spaces.  No big deal because I was planning on circling around and going to the lot that's farther away and walking :::::horror!!:::::  to the gym.  Once you're in the circle though it's a one way so you can't just turn around and go the other way.

Anyway, the circle isn't moving for like 5 minutes and everyone is just sitting there.  Eventually a car just goes around everyone and I pulled behind them to follow.  ONE PERSON in a car was holding up all of that traffic (waiting for a mom to load her kids up in the van) so she could get the spot really close to the gym.  She was my age and had no kids with her. 

I was sooo annoyed I really wanted to knock on her window and ask her why she couldn't park a little farther away and WALK!  grrr... I wound up not swimming because the gym was super crowded by the looks of the parking lot and I didn't feel like waiting for a lane. 

2008-04-30 1:35 PM
in reply to: #1372661

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Tri question......

Core work?  Yes/No. 

I have done NONE since starting my last plan back in Nov.  I guess it's stong "enough" based on what I'm doing - s/b/r.  I just put it in the debatable item, like strength training and left it out.

This new plan has a significant amount of core work.  Should I be doing lot of it?

What say you?

2008-04-30 1:40 PM
in reply to: #1372853

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma
Aikidoman - 2008-04-30 2:35 PM

Tri question......

Core work?  Yes/No. 

I have done NONE since starting my last plan back in Nov.  I guess it's stong "enough" based on what I'm doing - s/b/r.  I just put it in the debatable item, like strength training and left it out.

This new plan has a significant amount of core work.  Should I be doing lot of it?

What say you?

I was doing it a lot up until a coupe of weeks ago.  Partly because it was part of my PT.  It really helped getting my back better.  Since I stopped, I can feel it in my back again.  I say yes.  They have some core plans somewhere on here.  Things you can do at home.

2008-04-30 1:41 PM
in reply to: #1372661

User image

Austin, Texas or Jupiter, Florida
With the people who walk/ride really slow on the treadmill or something, you've got to wonder if their insurance company requires that they show an effort to lose weight or something by putting-in hours at the gym regardless of what they actually do. Our company gym has a thing where if you work out 36 times over 12 weeks (3x a week average) you get $100 toward health care costs (nutritionist, massage, physical therapy). So you see some people who walk-in and scan their card, take a walk-through and leave...

Anyway, happier note!
I'm trying to raise money for the Injured Marine Semper Fi Fund as part of Team Semper Fi.
You may have seen amputees and recovered wounded Marines who are getting into endurance events as a way to recover.

Team Semper Fi raises money to pay for specialized prosthetics, equipment, and training for the recovered Marines.

IMSFF pays for family members to be near their Marines while they're recovering whether at Walter Reed or in another treatment area. They also pay to reconfigure people's houses. They raised $16 Million in 2007 with 6% overhead that was offset by the Marine Corps. It is a good fund and provides these young guys with a lot of support. If you want to donate to them, my donation page is:

http://www.active.com/donate/teamsemperfi08/MGomes3

If you can't donate, please just give them a shout or go-up and shake their hand when you see them at races.

Last time I'll bum money off you guys I promise!

2008-04-30 1:51 PM
in reply to: #1372853

User image

Master
Olney, MD

Tri question......

Core work?  Yes/No. 

What say you?

When I started the BT winter maintenance program, I was trying to keep up with it and it just got to be too much with the rest of the stuff I was doing. 

2008-04-30 2:02 PM
in reply to: #1372905

User image

Sensei
Sin City
vball03umd - 2008-04-30 11:51 AM

Tri question......

Core work?  Yes/No. 

What say you?

When I started the BT winter maintenance program, I was trying to keep up with it and it just got to be too much with the rest of the stuff I was doing. 

THAT'S my thought exactly.  With 10-15 hours per week s/b/r.  It's tough to add a couple more hours lifting and doing abs.  Abs you can do at home though more or less, in front of the TV or something.

I may go buy a new swiss ball (big beach ball thing) I have one, but the little plug to hold in the are has gone MIA.  Sucks to buy something when you already have one when such a small piece (but important) is gone.  Easier to buy a whole new one than try to find a part or try to fix it.

2008-04-30 2:09 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Toledo, Ohio
I am very much in favor of core work. In my mind, the more strength training and core work I do, the more I will speed up my base metabolism and the more I can eat...

2008-04-30 2:27 PM
in reply to: #1372938

Champion
South Jersey
Exactly. It won't hurt to do core work, but it might not help much either (s/b/r helps you develop a pretty strong core anyway). If you enjoy it and have the time for it, then do it. But, I would certainly not make it a priority, nor would I feel bad if it's written in my schedule and I don't do it.
2008-04-30 3:10 PM
in reply to: #1373008

User image

Sensei
Sin City

LaurenSU02 - 2008-04-30 12:27 PM Exactly. It won't hurt to do core work, but it might not help much either (s/b/r helps you develop a pretty strong core anyway). If you enjoy it and have the time for it, then do it. But, I would certainly not make it a priority, nor would I feel bad if it's written in my schedule and I don't do it.

Hah!  I like your thinking!

It's perfect for those times I'm feeling antsy at home but don't want to do a full blown extra run or bike.  Like in front of the TV.  I won't lose any sleep if I miss it or can only do half the sets....

BTW - did yesterday's ab work that I missed today.  It was tough.  Harder than I thought.  I had to do the minimum to get through all 21 sets...  (about 10-20 reps each set)

2008-04-30 3:11 PM

User image

Master
Olney, MD

Today was a big day for me and my 2008 racing schedule.  I decided to defer my entry for the Olympic Distance Tri in Philly until 2009 and do the Sprint Distance the day before instead.  I also signed up for the Marine Corp Marathon... yay!!

For the Oly deferral decision.. I think I'm too far behind where I need to be in the swim and bike portions.  I'm not one to stress over sports or competition so it's a new experience for me to be nervous about something like that.  The thought of the Oly was making me nervous because I don't think I am properly trained yet and I don't think I'll get there in two months. 

The sprint tri.. no bad feelings about it and I'm looking forward to it. 

2008-04-30 3:16 PM
in reply to: #1373139

User image

Sensei
Sin City
vball03umd - 2008-04-30 1:11 PM

Today was a big day for me and my 2008 racing schedule.  I decided to defer my entry for the Olympic Distance Tri in Philly until 2009 and do the Sprint Distance the day before instead.  I also signed up for the Marine Corp Marathon... yay!!

For the Oly deferral decision.. I think I'm too far behind where I need to be in the swim and bike portions.  I'm not one to stress over sports or competition so it's a new experience for me to be nervous about something like that.  The thought of the Oly was making me nervous because I don't think I am properly trained yet and I don't think I'll get there in two months. 

The sprint tri.. no bad feelings about it and I'm looking forward to it. 

Good!  you shouldn't have any.  I have done the same thing.  I even paid for my oly entrance and when it got closer, I just wasn't up to it (even though I had a couple Oly's under my belt)  I never did a sprint, so I was interested.  Called the RD up and asked if I could change (they could keep the extra $$$).  They said no problem and I had SO much fun.

Any time someone makes a good, well informed decision like that, I'm impressed.  It's hard to do sometimes with all the pressure from others, and yourself!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » LaurenSU02's group - CLOSED! Rss Feed  

of 66