BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN Mentor Group-"Off Season?" What is that?!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 383

2009-04-17 6:22 PM
in reply to: #2071255

User image

Elite
san francisco
Subject: RE: SWBKRUN Mentor Group-Closed! TIME TO TRAIN!

Steve, that is just BEAUTIFUL!!! Have a wonderful weekend! 

Suzy-I thought you'd be on an airplane heading east!!! Happy trails and good luck this weekend!  Just stay safe and rested til Monday.    We're all rooting for you.

Good luck to everyone racing this weekend and to all of the rest of us, happy training

2009-04-17 6:37 PM

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

Steve, that place looks great!  Where is it? 

For everyone who is racing this weekend, best of luck!  Looking forward to seeing how everyone did! 

-Andy

2009-04-17 6:38 PM
in reply to: #2092900

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
kt65 - 2009-04-17 6:22 PM

Steve, that is just BEAUTIFUL!!! Have a wonderful weekend! 

Suzy-I thought you'd be on an airplane heading east!!! Happy trails and good luck this weekend!  Just stay safe and rested til Monday.    We're all rooting for you.

Good luck to everyone racing this weekend and to all of the rest of us, happy training

Hey Kim--we arrived in Beantown mid afternoon so I was able to get my race packet and all that jazz.  Expo wasn't nearly as crowded as it will be tomorrow and Sunday.

Shawn--I love the picture of you and your wife.   One question, did you do it together or separate?

Tracy--do you think the paddles have any potential for causing shoulder issues?  I talked to my ex coach who is now my current coach again temporarily and he advised against getting them.  Having said that, I am always open to ideas to get better in the water!

Adam-While you may have been dropped, you were out there and now you know what you need to do to crush the guys by the end of the summer.  Great motivator.

Have a great weekend guys!
Suzy
2009-04-17 6:42 PM
in reply to: #2092921

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.
ashort33 - 2009-04-17 4:37 PM

Steve, that place looks great!  Where is it? 

For everyone who is racing this weekend, best of luck!  Looking forward to seeing how everyone did! 

-Andy

Suzy is correct... It is Salish the Lodge.
2009-04-17 6:46 PM

User image

Wow, Steve.  That looks awesome.  You'll have to let me know where that is...I need to add it to my list of "must do's".
Have a great weekend.  Happy Anniversary!

Best of luck this weekend Tracy, Trevor, and Suzy.  I am so excited for each of you - I love races  Smile  Wish I could be there cheering you on!  

Linda
2009-04-17 7:40 PM

User image

Champion
marietta
Happy anniversary Steve!  Good photo op hangin' off the side of that thing!

2009-04-17 8:50 PM
in reply to: #2092933

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
Water temp at wifes race is now up to 66.  Kicking myself for not signing up now... Might be tempted to come back for the sprint on Sunday.  Though I do have a tri next weekend, a TT the weekend after that and a century the week after that, so maybe I ought to take it easy this weekend.
2009-04-18 7:19 AM

User image

Expert
Greer, SC
Good morning everyone.  This is my first chance to post in this new group.  Lot's of action.  I love it.  I've got a question about training and injuires.  I have my first race of the year (my first olympic) one week from today.  During the past 4-6 weeks, I have been dealing with some Achilles pain / tenderness.  It is now Saturday and I have not run since Monday in an attempt to let myself continue to heal.  I feel the pain for the first mile then, it seems to go away.  I stretch well before and after.  My plan is to run about 5.5 miles today and my plan for this week includes:

Mon - Swim
Tues- 20 mile ride
Wed 3 mile run
Thurs Swim + 30 min easy trainer ride
Fri- Off
Sat- Race

I am really trying to take it easy on the run.  My problem is that is my weakest area so I feel I should put in more time.  I had a goal of 2:40 for this race, but will quickly abandon this if I feel any pain. 

The good thing is that after this race, I have off for almost three weeks before I begin my HIM program for September.  My plan for those weeks is to see my sports doc, chiro and massage therapist and do a bunch of riding and swimming, but limit my running to aqua jogging as others have recommended.  Thanks in advance for the advice!  Happy Training!

Steve~ That place looks amazing!
2009-04-18 9:58 AM

User image

Master
Silverton, Oregon
Congratulations Steve!

Go, Tracy, Go!!!

Shawn- For my husband's first half-marathon he was looking forward to showing off his race shirt at work the next day. He was NOT happy when we got to the race and saw the shirts were baby pink He did eventually get brave enough to wear it, and was suprised to find that no one else mentioned the color

Chris- Sorry I can't be more helpful, but it sounds to me like you've got a great plan.
2009-04-18 10:03 AM

User image

Master
Silverton, Oregon
I copied this from my blog today, because... well, I'm lazy.

Every time I get in the pool lately my sinuses get plugged, I get a headache, and sneeze for a couple days afterward.  Usually start feeling better right before it's time to go swim again, then it starts all over. Could I have developed an allergy to the chlorine, or some other chemical they use in the pool? Does anyone else experience this?

2009-04-18 11:01 AM
in reply to: #2093736

User image

Champion
marietta
roni_runnw - 2009-04-18 10:03 AM I copied this from my blog today, because... well, I'm lazy.

Every time I get in the pool lately my sinuses get plugged, I get a headache, and sneeze for a couple days afterward.  Usually start feeling better right before it's time to go swim again, then it starts all over. Could I have developed an allergy to the chlorine, or some other chemical they use in the pool? Does anyone else experience this?

Roni.  Not sure but check this out...  http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=109309&posts=16&highlight=sinus%20pool&highlightmode=1#M1318726

I searched "sinus pool" in triathlon talk for all dates and got a bunch of hits.  check it out & see what you think

Edited by fattyfatfat 2009-04-18 11:08 AM

2009-04-18 11:08 AM

User image

Champion
marietta

Tell me what you think...my HIM program is calling for an all out 10k next week.  I ran a 10K PR (49:26) last month and I'm confident I can break that but I really want to nail a 5K.  Do ya'll think its a big deal if I go 5K instead of 10K?   Thanks

2009-04-18 11:15 AM

User image

Expert
Henderson, NV
Chris - it is propably a good sign that it gets better after running a while and sometmes rest is exactly what the body needs.  One thing you might look at though are your calf stretches.  Maybe spend more time or change them up a bit.  I use "The Stick" on mine and that really helped.  Just a thought.  I had to take a break this week from running too because of a funky knee.  I think if you stay ahead of them you can avoid the doctor most of the time

Steve - looks like a great place to spend some time!!!

Roni - have you tried open water to see if that does the same thing? 

John - You could always run the 5k twice   5k's hurt but are great speed work training, I say go for it.

This is me catching up!

Edited by cbarnes1 2009-04-18 11:18 AM
2009-04-18 11:24 AM

User image

Master
Silverton, Oregon
Thanks for the link! I've got a few things to try now.

I haven't been in OW yet this year, but it's almost time. Think I'll test the waters sometime this week, as it's supposed to get into the mid 80's YAY!

Thanks again for the help!
2009-04-18 2:15 PM
in reply to: #2093549

User image

Expert
Auburn AL
Jeepguy2358 - 2009-04-18 7:19 AM Good morning everyone.  This is my first chance to post in this new group.  Lot's of action.  I love it.  I've got a question about training and injuires.  I have my first race of the year (my first olympic) one week from today.  During the past 4-6 weeks, I have been dealing with some Achilles pain / tenderness.  It is now Saturday and I have not run since Monday in an attempt to let myself continue to heal.  I feel the pain for the first mile then, it seems to go away.  I stretch well before and after.  My plan is to run about 5.5 miles today and my plan for this week includes:

Mon - Swim
Tues- 20 mile ride
Wed 3 mile run
Fri- Off
Sat- Race

I am really trying to take it easy on the run.  My problem is that is my weakest area so I feel I should put in more time.  I had a goal of 2:40 for this race, but will quickly abandon this if I feel any pain. 

The good thing is that after this race, I have off for almost three weeks before I begin my HIM program for September.  My plan for those weeks is to see my sports doc, chiro and massage therapist and do a bunch of riding and swimming, but limit my running to aqua jogging as others have recommended.  Thanks in advance for the advice!  Happy Training!

Steve~ That place looks amazing!

Chris

I am going to pass along to you the info that the group passed on to me last week...TAKE IT EASY DUDE.  I think Steve said "your fitness will not improve between now and next week"  Suzy said "taper will ya"  Someone said " ditch the 20 mile ride and rest your legs"  You get the picture! 

Take care of your leg and don't hurt it this week.  Get this race done and gain the experience and don't mess yourself up.
We got a lot of training to do for the big one.

Edited by Plainsman AU 2009-04-18 2:17 PM
2009-04-18 2:20 PM

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

I remember seeing a post on one forum or another about someone who working on their nutrition plan for a sprint race.  Am I missing something.  I thought all I had to worry about was making sure my water bottles were full...  Does anyone else do gu's or electrolyte replacement drinks, etc for sprints (300-800m swim, 15 mi bike, 5k)?

2009-04-18 3:29 PM
in reply to: #2093549

User image

Champion

Jeepguy2358 - 2009-04-18 7:19 AM Good morning everyone.  This is my first chance to post in this new group.  Lot's of action.  I love it.  I've got a question about training and injuires.  I have my first race of the year (my first olympic) one week from today.  During the past 4-6 weeks, I have been dealing with some Achilles pain / tenderness.  It is now Saturday and I have not run since Monday in an attempt to let myself continue to heal.  I feel the pain for the first mile then, it seems to go away.  I stretch well before and after.  My plan is to run about 5.5 miles today and my plan for this week includes:

Mon - Swim
Tues- 20 mile ride
Wed 3 mile run
Fri- Off
Sat- Race

QUOTE]

Hey Chris--first, good luck on your Olympic next week.  I am the one that said you will not gain fitness for this race with less than 7 days to go, but you can cause stress that you won't recover from.  If it were me, I might do a shorter ride, but with a higher intensity, close to your race pace.  Same for the swim.  Honestly, unless you feel you need to "test" the achilles, I would totally bag the run or at least make it a 5 minute brick (bike to run) to practice.  The 3m run isn't going to do anything for your fitness.  Also glad you are able to take some time to heal before HIM training.  I made the very stupid mistake of trying to train through an injury and it set me back for months.

John--what is the purpose of the all out 10K? LT Test? are you doing something before it to simulate the race?  Given the HIM isn't until June, it doesn't seem like the 5K would matter that much unless the objective of it is more than just a 10K race.

Andy--I don't have any nutrition plan for sprints.  I might grab a water on the run course if it is hot, but that's it.   I would be curious what others do as the distance increases to an Olympic too.

Roni--I swim in a salt water pool, but I do exhibit similar symptoms if I get in too close to the time they shock it.  I usually use a saline solution you can buy OTC to rinse out the sinuses post and that helps quite a bit.

I had a chance to do my last run along the Charles River this morning.  It is really incredible to see so many runners in one spot, especially those that could crush you in a race without breathing hard!  After that we went to the JFK Presidential museum (love those museums) and then headed to Cambridge to tour around Harvard and see how the brainiacs live!  After about 6m of runing and at least that many walking, feet are up for the rest of the afternoon.

Suzy (please sign your names so we can remember them!)

Edited by SSMinnow 2009-04-18 3:41 PM
2009-04-18 3:56 PM

User image

Champion
marietta
Suzy.  The "all out" is the language used in the BT Beginner HIM program, Sunday of Week 9.  I'm over thinking this aren't I...what the heck is a 3 mile difference the grand scheme of things.

How long are you in town for?  What else is on tap other than celebrating Patriots Day with a 26.2 miler?  You are going to a game at Fenway to watch the Sux get beat right!

John 

2009-04-18 3:57 PM

User image

Champion

Rave Girl HEY GUYS--Check out Tracy's log.  She kicked some butt on the Olympic course today.  YEAH TRACY!

2009-04-18 4:02 PM
in reply to: #2094162

User image

Champion
fattyfatfat - 2009-04-18 3:56 PM Suzy.  The "all out" is the language used in the BT Beginner HIM program, Sunday of Week 9.  I'm over thinking this aren't I...what the heck is a 3 mile difference the grand scheme of things.

How long are you in town for?  What else is on tap other than celebrating Patriots Day with a 26.2 miler?  You are going to a game at Fenway to watch the Sux get beat right!

John 

No, I don't think you are overthinking it, but I also agree it probably doesn't matter.  If it were me, I would do a 1-2m warm-up, the 5K race, crush your PB and then do a 1m cool-down.

We leave early on Tuesday so tomorrow we may do the Freedom Trail walk, find a fun place for lunch, but not much more.  Dinner is at 5pm! Boring for the man, but good for my legs.  Try to get to bed by 9pm so I can toss and turn and check the clock every hour to make sure I haven't overslept.  Crazy.
2009-04-18 5:51 PM

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario

Tracy. Way to kick some butt. THose are totally awesome times.

2009-04-18 7:11 PM

User image

Master
Silverton, Oregon
Way to go Tracy!!! Awesome job!!!!
2009-04-18 7:18 PM

User image

Master
Silverton, Oregon
Usually I eat a gel 15 minutes before the swim, and use a sports drink on the bike for sprints and oly's, then just water on the run if I feel like it.
2009-04-18 11:09 PM

User image

Elite
san francisco

Great job Tracy!!!  

GO, Suzy, GO!!!

For sprints, I have done a gel before the swim, sport drink on the bike, gel at T2 if I need it and then water from the aid station if needed for the run.

Today, on a long run, at about 8 miles, the top of my left foot where my laces are tied started to hurt while running.  At first I ignored it then I thought maybe my laces were too tight so I loosened them.  That helped a bit, but tonite, when looking at my feet, the tendon that runs up the top of my foot is red and inflamed on both feet!!!  I did advil and ice, hopefully it was just chafing, but has anyone else had this happen?  I had that happen with those yanks laces so I can't use them.  Ouch.

2009-04-19 5:28 AM
in reply to: #2094758

User image

Champion
kt65 - 2009-04-18 11:09 PM

Great job Tracy!!!  

GO, Suzy, GO!!!

For sprints, I have done a gel before the swim, sport drink on the bike, gel at T2 if I need it and then water from the aid station if needed for the run.

Today, on a long run, at about 8 miles, the top of my left foot where my laces are tied started to hurt while running.  At first I ignored it then I thought maybe my laces were too tight so I loosened them.  That helped a bit, but tonite, when looking at my feet, the tendon that runs up the top of my foot is red and inflamed on both feet!!!  I did advil and ice, hopefully it was just chafing, but has anyone else had this happen?  I had that happen with those yanks laces so I can't use them.  Ouch.

Yes, I had it on the top of my right foot a couple of years ago. For me, it was sheat of a tendon that runs down to the big toe.  It could have started from the laces being too tight, rubbing or your foot could be in a different position in your shoe due to tightness of another tendon/muscle.  You can try slightly thicker socks and/or a different shoe lace pattern.  Also massage the heck out of your feet and lower legs (heel to tips of toes, including the calcaneous, calves as well as the peroneal muscles on the sides of your leg which can get tight and change your foot plant). 

Now get out there and bike 50 miles will ya?
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN Mentor Group-"Off Season?" What is that?!! Rss Feed  

of 383