Moderators: the bear, kaqphin, tinkerbeth, D001, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 35

2010-11-07 7:41 PM
in reply to: #3199071

Regular
Raleigh
Subject: RE: Cycling Program and HM Training

Hot Runner - 2010-11-07 3:29 AM I noticed a couple of other posts about this topic, so thought I'd weigh in with my situation to see what people think. I'm training for a HM in early December. I'd really like to maintain  fitness in the swim and bike as well as I'm planning several triathlons next year.  Due to my location and work schedule (third world city with insane traffic, tropics, full-time plus!), I can only cycle on the roads early Sunday AM, and I need this time for running now. Thus, the trainer is the only cycling I'll get this month. I've tried doing 1-2 of the Prep Week workouts per week for a few weeks and find they just leave my legs dead for running.  I wonder if I'm doing myself any favors trying to gut out these workouts now, or if I should be doing something less intense on the trainer, or not cycle at all and pick it up seriously after recovering from the HM. Does this program help running? Or negatively affect it due to fatigue/less energy for speedwork? If I didn't do the trainer workouts I would probably add another run (to get to 5 days/week), maybe some fartlek or short pickups as I do longer pickups/tempo on Saturdays.

If it makes a difference, my goal for the HM is speed and placing in my AG as well as possible (around 1:35; closer to 1:30 would be ideal but maybe not in the cards), not just finishing. I have run many HM and the challenge for me isn't completing the distance but maintaining a decent pace.

I have my HM next weekend.  I was noticing that my legs were shot for my run workouts after a hard session on the trainer, so I stopped (will start Jorge's program over in a couple of weeks).  Legs feel much better and run performance back to normal, so I think it was a good decision.  

Everyone's different I guess, but my advice ba?s?e?d? ?o?n? ?m?y? ?e?x?p?e?r?i?e?n?c??????????(as you seem to be serious about your run)??  ?w?o?u?l?d? ?b?e? ?t?o? ?d?e?l?a?y? ?t?h?e? ?t?r?a?i?n?e?r? ?p?r?o?g?r?a?m? ?u?n?t?i?l? ?a?f?t?e? ?r? ?y?o?u?r? ??H?M?.

?

?Just my $0.02?
?? ? 

2010-11-08 4:26 AM
in reply to: #3154535

User image

Expert
Reykjavik, Iceland
Subject: RE: Cycling Program v3.0 - 2010 - 2011

Who knew a 3 min test could hurt that much !

Well I have gotten my CP now and it is pretty close to what I estimated and used in the first prep week. However I thought this was to hard so in the second prep week I took it down 15-20 watt this was still hard but durable. So now I have to ride with a CP  that is higher then then one I thought to high in the beginning.........

I am starting to realize that this might be a LOT harder then I imagined.....

2010-11-08 7:12 AM

User image

Champion
Schwamalamadingdong!
Week 2, day 1 is in the books.
2010-11-08 8:02 AM

User image

Elite
Ontario
Jorge,

Question about how to regulate your power when riding on rolling terrain.  I did a 2 hour ride on the weekend with the plan to follow the structure you laid out for the optional ride.  HR was nice and low (lower than I ever see it on an outdoor ride), but I screwed up the watts big time.  CP is 220, but you can from the interval numbers (approx 30 min each) that I was way off.

Interval 1 - 181 Watts, 144 HR, NP 199
Interval 2 - 183 Watts, 143 HR, NP 196
Interval 3 - 185 Watts, 148 HR, NP 198
Interval 4 - 183 Watts, 152 HR, NP 195

I'm sure this was because there is nowhere really flat for me to ride, I'm either going up or down.  Nothing big, just rolling.  When there are flatter sections I'm trying to keep the numbers in the target range, but for the total interval I couldn't make it happen.  Suggestions?

One other question.  I added in the Normalized power, cause that made the intervals at approx 90% CP rather than the 85% CP from the ride watts.  Should I pay a lot of attention to the NP numbers (considering I can't see them while riding)?

Thanks.
2010-11-08 8:42 AM
in reply to: #3199071

User image

Coach
Boston, MA
Subject: RE: Cycling Program and HM Training
Hot Runner - 2010-11-07 3:29 AM I noticed a couple of other posts about this topic, so thought I'd weigh in with my situation to see what people think. I'm training for a HM in early December. I'd really like to maintain  fitness in the swim and bike as well as I'm planning several triathlons next year.  Due to my location and work schedule (third world city with insane traffic, tropics, full-time plus!), I can only cycle on the roads early Sunday AM, and I need this time for running now. Thus, the trainer is the only cycling I'll get this month. I've tried doing 1-2 of the Prep Week workouts per week for a few weeks and find they just leave my legs dead for running.  I wonder if I'm doing myself any favors trying to gut out these workouts now, or if I should be doing something less intense on the trainer, or not cycle at all and pick it up seriously after recovering from the HM. Does this program help running? Or negatively affect it due to fatigue/less energy for speedwork? If I didn't do the trainer workouts I would probably add another run (to get to 5 days/week), maybe some fartlek or short pickups as I do longer pickups/tempo on Saturdays.

If it makes a difference, my goal for the HM is speed and placing in my AG as well as possible (around 1:35; closer to 1:30 would be ideal but maybe not in the cards), not just finishing. I have run many HM and the challenge for me isn't completing the distance but maintaining a decent pace.

It depends on your goals, what you can handle in terms of load, your current fitness, ability to recover, etc. I have had athletes who have done tri training using a very similar approach to what this program suggest and still have them run 5-6x week. Others need a less aggressive cycling approach if runnign is our focus or just run less.

In this case it depends on your specific needs. If following this program makes your run training tougher, then either do less of it or wait until you can follow it. Cycling more in triathlons can benefit your running for sure, not necessarily because you'll run faster, but your greater specific cycling fitness will allow you to use less energy on the bike while cycling faster and use it that energy on the run; those together will make you faster.

It is the HM is the main goal right now so focus on that.
2010-11-08 8:50 AM
in reply to: #3199480

User image

Coach
Boston, MA
Flagstaff30 - 2010-11-07 2:02 PM Hi, 

I've got some questions for Jorge regarding doing "more".

Obviously, first question is, "Should I do more?"  I'm 100% bike focused, and have plenty of time.  I'm wondering if more is better, or if it could result in overtraining, making it more difficult to recover and result in a lower quality workout later in the week?

Next, if more is ok, how?  Today, I did week 2 day 1 (power), tacked onto the end of a very easy 90' ride with a group of people.  My 3' test resulted in a little over 40% more power than the spreadsheet calculated as my CP, so I chose to do the 1' intervals today at about 98% of the 3' power rather than 120% of the CP.  The last few weren't easy, but I really had no problem holding power and adding a bit for the last interval as suggested.   To me, this isn't surprising, since my 1' power is probably another 25% over my 3' power.

So, if more is ok/better, should I:

Do more than 5 intervals?

Do longer intervals?

Do the intervals at higher power?

Or maybe take a different approach and  add an additional workout at some point in the week?  

The other workouts shown for this week don't look terribly difficult.   4x10 @ 80 - 85%.   Are we ramping up to tougher workouts such as 4x10 @ 100%? 

Scott

Ye we are ramping the plan to do more and more each week, because it is based under the assumption than most are coming off-season and we are not in top shape at the moment. Also, unless you have a big race early in the season IMO doing too much right now can cause burning out later in the season or plateaus unless you can manage to double your load later on (for many that is not possible).

Also, you can certainly change some of the workouts to match your needs, but notice that doing a the 5x1 sets @ <100% instead of 120% of CP are maximizing different adaptations. Not that is a bad thing but the progression was settled in a way to follow a patter addressing and maximizing certain adaptations to make the next block a bit easier to handle and not just because.

If you want to add more, I would start adding a longer ride or just a steady ride (<80% of CP) and see how your legs respond. There is balance between managing load and since it = volume + intensity, usually when you increase one the other one decrease. If you feel you can do more, try it but pay attention as to how yuor body responds and adjust accordingly.

2010-11-08 8:58 AM

User image

Master
Baltimore

Jorge,

Quick question regarding Raceday (which I believe you are familiar with).  I'm doing 3 min performance tests to build my model (because I believe I asked about before and you said you have your athlete's do performance tests of this length, and it matches the 3 min CP test, so it's a 2 for 1).  First - is this a good test length (does it matter my race distance to determine that?  I'll do mostly Oly, which a HIM A race next year)?  If I am to do these tests weekly, do you have any recommendations on how to work them into the plan?

Just thought of another question - I think I know the answer, but I was hampered during the week with work travel and a lot of my running got pushed to later in the week to make up for it.  So I finished a longish run about an hour before a session.  I thought I'd be OK, but I was very wrong, I could only do about 25' of the 40' total planned at 80-85%.  I should probably just cut my loss and move on to week 2, no?  I'd guess if I had to totally bag a whole workout, or cut short 2 or more, I'd repeat the week instead of moving to the next.  Does this seem like a good plan?  I've got more travel and want to know how I should plan if I have more bad/skipped workouts in the future.

Thanks!  And thanks for the plan!

2010-11-08 9:08 AM
in reply to: #3200173

User image

Coach
Boston, MA
GoFaster - 2010-11-08 8:02 AM Jorge,

Question about how to regulate your power when riding on rolling terrain.  I did a 2 hour ride on the weekend with the plan to follow the structure you laid out for the optional ride.  HR was nice and low (lower than I ever see it on an outdoor ride), but I screwed up the watts big time.  CP is 220, but you can from the interval numbers (approx 30 min each) that I was way off.

Interval 1 - 181 Watts, 144 HR, NP 199
Interval 2 - 183 Watts, 143 HR, NP 196
Interval 3 - 185 Watts, 148 HR, NP 198
Interval 4 - 183 Watts, 152 HR, NP 195

I'm sure this was because there is nowhere really flat for me to ride, I'm either going up or down.  Nothing big, just rolling.  When there are flatter sections I'm trying to keep the numbers in the target range, but for the total interval I couldn't make it happen.  Suggestions?

One other question.  I added in the Normalized power, cause that made the intervals at approx 90% CP rather than the 85% CP from the ride watts.  Should I pay a lot of attention to the NP numbers (considering I can't see them while riding)?

Thanks.

As you know riding outdoors makes it difficult to keep your watts steady as you can do indoors due to the changing terrain, wind, turns, etc. Still, even when I am doing sets outdoors on a loop that includes all this variables I can usually have avg watts and NP around 1 (VI 1.0) and that's because you pace your effort in a way that you keep the power as constant as possible. That is, I barely stop pedaling, I put up a bit more power going up hill while keeping it within a range to not spike it too much but then, when downhill I know my power will be a tad lower so the difference evens it out.

NP is good as it estimates the metabolic cost of on your muscles of the variability of your ride. Hence, if you are constabntly spiking your power, the NP will be higher because every time you spike the power above your CP it is work that will cost you down the road as your muscles deplete and become fatigued.

Still, avg watts (AP) are telling you in real time what's happening (slowing down, stopping at lights, uphill, etc) so I still pay the most attention to it when riding. I can tell if my ride has been to variable as I know I am constantly spiking my power above my session's ranges (like group rides).

Use the info from this outdoor rides as a way to teach you how to pace more evenly (avoid too many power spikes burning matches) and see if you can eventually bring AP and NP closer to VI 1.0.
2010-11-08 9:57 AM
in reply to: #3200270

User image

Elite
Ontario
JorgeM - 2010-11-08 9:50 AM

Ye we are ramping the plan to do more and more each week, because it is based under the assumption than most are coming off-season and we are not in top shape at the moment. Also, unless you have a big race early in the season IMO doing too much right now can cause burning out later in the season or plateaus unless you can manage to double your load later on (for many that is not possible).

Question on the bolded section - how do you know if you are doing too much.  I'm in the process of adding volume since I'm trying to focus on swimming and cycling at the same time.  My volume now is higher than most of the year (thought not high compared to many others), and I was planning to keep it high during the winter to try and come out stronger in the Spring. 

Bad idea?
2010-11-08 10:19 AM
in reply to: #3200270

JorgeM - 2010-11-08 7:50 AM 
notice that doing a the 5x1 sets @ <100% instead of 120% of CP are maximizing different adaptations.

I was doing the 5x1 sets at 98% of my 3' power, or about 140% of my CP.  In doing some additional research, it seems that you don't get into VO2max oxygen consumption until 1 - 3 minutes into an interval, so most try to do such intervals with a length of 3' - 5'.   I'm thinking the way for me to do "more" for these intervals is probably to drop the power level back to more like 120% and add duration.  

I don't have any real early season events, but am working on raising my FTP this winter through your program (I'm probably 10% off the best I had last year, and would like to get beyond that if I can).  In the spring, I'll be adding volume when I can get outside.  

Scott
2010-11-08 12:27 PM

User image

Champion
Chicago
Want this in my threads so I can read.  That is all carry on

2010-11-09 6:50 AM
in reply to: #3197480

User image

Master
Baltimore
JorgeM - 2010-11-05 3:06 PM
axteraa - 2010-11-05 1:08 PM
JorgeM - 2010-11-05 1:19 PM Week no. 2 is up: http://jorgepbmcoaching.blogspot.com/

For those trainnig with power make sure to read the notes on the Biking File v3.0 under the 20MP and 5MP sessions found here

Ok, after reading the notes I'm not clear on something.  For the first session of week 2, the main set is 5x1' @120%.  Is that 120% of CP or 120% of the average power from the 3' test this week?

All percentages are always based CP hence if your CP is 250w, the sets @ 120% would be @ 300w. A variation suggested on the notes is to take your 3MP minus 2-3 %, hence if your 3MP is 310w you could do the sets at 300w.

The key is to do a the sets roughly around your VO2 max which will equate to a 5 min max effort, and that falls around 120% of CP or 3MP minus 2-3%. Once yuo figure this out you do sets 1 to 4 at that wattage and the last one, let it 'rip' trying to average 2-4 watts higher. That last number will be your baseline for next week's session.

Example:

Jorge's 3MP is 310w and CP is 250w hence the wattage to target for the 5x1' sets will be around ~300w. I'll do sets 1 to 4 around ~300w and the last one I'll try to avg 302-304w. Next week all sets 1 to 4 will be around ~302-304w (depending what my actual avg was) and the last one I'll try to average 306-308w and so for.

make sense?

I've got a quick question: 120% of my CP is about 311 W, and 97-98% of my 3MP is ~345 W (which is about 133% CP).  I did a 5 min test in Sept to calculate CP and got 324 W (and my CP has dropped about 5 W since then, not unexpectedly).  So what should I target for the 1' intervals?  Obviously, one will be much harder than the other and I'd err towards the higher W target, but you mentioned HIIT before and that it wasn't useful and I didn't know if this may fall into that category.

Thanks.

Edit to fix math.

Edited a second time for more bad math...

Edited by jsiegs 2010-11-09 7:01 AM
2010-11-09 8:10 AM
in reply to: #3200447

User image

Coach
Boston, MA
GoFaster - 2010-11-08 9:57 AM
JorgeM - 2010-11-08 9:50 AM

Question on the bolded section - how do you know if you are doing too much.  I'm in the process of adding volume since I'm trying to focus on swimming and cycling at the same time.  My volume now is higher than most of the year (thought not high compared to many others), and I was planning to keep it high during the winter to try and come out stronger in the Spring. 

Bad idea?

As a general rule obviously listen to your body, add load gradually and you'll eventually find when you are near the "too much" line.

But in terms of setting an annual periodirized plan and setting up goals to peak at multiple events (like most AGers do) then I tend to plan how much load I add early in the year, based on the athlete's fitness, needs, goals and main distance.

You have to remember that your body adapts to the stimulus we expose it to and to keep improving our fitness we have to constantly push it to further adapt. Also you have to consider what are the specific adaptations for your main race. If you are doing an IM and you do a lot of volume now, later on the specific phase for the race you might need to do much more volume to further increase your fitness, otherwise you might plateau or even lose fitness later even when adding intensity. The other risk is that while you might need more load to adapt, who knows if your body will be ready to handle it.

It is hard for me to tell you how much is too much or whether your plan is a wise or not. I am not sure what your main race(es) are, how many, what's your current fitness and how much load you can handle.

For someone focusing on Oly and sprints, it might work to do more volume now as later in the year there should be a switch to more intensity which will be specific for the race. Someone doing an HIM might or might not be a good idea. For someone doing an IM might not but then again depends how much training you can do later in the year.

Add to that you have other life priorities to take care of (unless you train full time) and you have to be ready for those as well hence the mental toll might be higher than the physical one.

Anyway, maybe try doing a Google search on block periodization, there are some good review papers comparing the different periodization models, that way you can learn and give you a better idea how to apply it. That or hire a good knowledgeable coach to help you out.
2010-11-09 8:16 AM
in reply to: #3200518

User image

Coach
Boston, MA
Flagstaff30 - 2010-11-08 10:19 AM
JorgeM - 2010-11-08 7:50 AM 
notice that doing a the 5x1 sets @ <100% instead of 120% of CP are maximizing different adaptations.

I was doing the 5x1 sets at 98% of my 3' power, or about 140% of my CP.  In doing some additional research, it seems that you don't get into VO2max oxygen consumption until 1 - 3 minutes into an interval, so most try to do such intervals with a length of 3' - 5'.   I'm thinking the way for me to do "more" for these intervals is probably to drop the power level back to more like 120% and add duration.  

I don't have any real early season events, but am working on raising my FTP this winter through your program (I'm probably 10% off the best I had last year, and would like to get beyond that if I can).  In the spring, I'll be adding volume when I can get outside.  

Scott

These sets will certainly have you target adaptations to improve your VO2max even though the duration is around 1 min because you are doing it at an specific intensity; that and the compound effect of that technically you are riding around 5 min at that intensity. The key is that every week you increase that intensity a little even though the duration remains the same, so do get adaptations to maximize your VO2max (or more precisely your power at VO2).

You are welcome to modify the plan anyway you want, you can certainly do more duration at lower intensities, but notice all this can have different effects on your load, ability to recover, etc...
2010-11-09 8:20 AM
in reply to: #3202172

User image

Coach
Boston, MA
jsiegs - 2010-11-09 6:50 AM
JorgeM - 2010-11-05 3:06 PM
axteraa - 2010-11-05 1:08 PM
JorgeM - 2010-11-05 1:19 PM Week no. 2 is up: http://jorgepbmcoaching.blogspot.com/

For those trainnig with power make sure to read the notes on the Biking File v3.0 under the 20MP and 5MP sessions found here

Ok, after reading the notes I'm not clear on something.  For the first session of week 2, the main set is 5x1' @120%.  Is that 120% of CP or 120% of the average power from the 3' test this week?

All percentages are always based CP hence if your CP is 250w, the sets @ 120% would be @ 300w. A variation suggested on the notes is to take your 3MP minus 2-3 %, hence if your 3MP is 310w you could do the sets at 300w.

The key is to do a the sets roughly around your VO2 max which will equate to a 5 min max effort, and that falls around 120% of CP or 3MP minus 2-3%. Once yuo figure this out you do sets 1 to 4 at that wattage and the last one, let it 'rip' trying to average 2-4 watts higher. That last number will be your baseline for next week's session.

Example:

Jorge's 3MP is 310w and CP is 250w hence the wattage to target for the 5x1' sets will be around ~300w. I'll do sets 1 to 4 around ~300w and the last one I'll try to avg 302-304w. Next week all sets 1 to 4 will be around ~302-304w (depending what my actual avg was) and the last one I'll try to average 306-308w and so for.

make sense?

I've got a quick question: 120% of my CP is about 311 W, and 97-98% of my 3MP is ~345 W (which is about 133% CP).  I did a 5 min test in Sept to calculate CP and got 324 W (and my CP has dropped about 5 W since then, not unexpectedly).  So what should I target for the 1' intervals?  Obviously, one will be much harder than the other and I'd err towards the higher W target, but you mentioned HIIT before and that it wasn't useful and I didn't know if this may fall into that category.

Thanks.

Edit to fix math.

Edited a second time for more bad math...

Start with 120% of CP and see how it goes, if you can complete all sets with relatively ease then go higher next time.
2010-11-09 10:08 AM
in reply to: #3202332

A question regarding the 20MP note in the Biking File spreadsheet:  when should we be doing the "sets 1 - 5 at most recent 20MP and 3 - 5 watts harder on the last set".  Would this be an alternative to week 2 day 2 which is described as a 4x10' at 80 and 85%?  

Also, week 2 day 3 has 30" intervals at 110 - 115%.  Is this another place where the 5MP note would apply and we might do these at our 3MP - a few percent? 

I'm finding these power notes confusing! 

2010-11-09 10:50 AM
in reply to: #3202605

User image

Coach
Boston, MA
Flagstaff30 - 2010-11-09 10:08 AM A question regarding the 20MP note in the Biking File spreadsheet:  when should we be doing the "sets 1 - 5 at most recent 20MP and 3 - 5 watts harder on the last set".  Would this be an alternative to week 2 day 2 which is described as a 4x10' at 80 and 85%?  

Also, week 2 day 3 has 30" intervals at 110 - 115%.  Is this another place where the 5MP note would apply and we might do these at our 3MP - a few percent? 

I'm finding these power notes confusing! 

You are getting ahead of yourself - if you downloaded the guide or check the program outline you can see when we'll be addressing what. Right now, we are working towards increasing power at VO2 max and later will move to increase 20 min power (20MP). Not until then the 20MP notes will become relevant.

The 5MP notes only apply to the Day1 from wk 2 to 4. Day 3 (same weeks) also focus to improve power at VO2max in a different format to keep things a bit more varied/interesting as most are doing this on the trainer.

Next week I'll add a note when the session is focused on 5MP or later on 20MP to make it less confusing. Still, if you keep trying to change the plan, it will for certain become confusing because you are changing in a way I don't know if makes sense to you or not. Also keep in mind that I won't be doing an individualized program for you every week.

If you want to alter the plan, you can do so in anyway you prefer, however, *if* you want to follow this program as suggested, then you'll have to be patient
2010-11-09 1:44 PM
in reply to: #3202709

Still, if you keep trying to change the plan, it will for certain become confusing because you are changing in a way I don't know if makes sense to you or not. 

Understood.  Just trying to understand how the notes for power users are meant to be used with the plan.   
2010-11-09 5:26 PM

Regular
Portland
I just finished Day week 2 and need some reassurance that I'm following the right times. I'm on the heart rate monitor plan.

WU was #2 at minutes
Main session was a total of 10 minutes alternating hard to recovery effort every 1 minute
Then 15 minutes @ 83 to 87%
CD = 5 minutes 
Total time = 50 minutes

If I'm not reading the plan correctly it's still kicking my butt.

Darrell
2010-11-10 7:43 AM
in reply to: #3203624

User image

Expert
Norton Shores, MI

inspectord - 2010-11-09 6:26 PM I just finished Day week 2 and need some reassurance that I'm following the right times. I'm on the heart rate monitor plan.

WU was #2 at minutes
Main session was a total of 10 minutes alternating hard to recovery effort every 1 minute
Then 15 minutes @ 83 to 87%
CD = 5 minutes 
Total time = 50 minutes

If I'm not reading the plan correctly it's still kicking my butt.

Darrell

Correct!

2010-11-10 8:33 AM

User image

Coach
Boston, MA
It is very cool to see so many of you following the program and entering your data on the Google docs spreadsheet. Now it will be easier for me to harass check on you and keep you pushing to get those numbers higher!

2010-11-10 10:17 AM

User image

Expert
NW NJ
Mornin!  I am water skiing behind most of you (one week behind) and just did my 30 Min TT this morning (HR Based) and I was really surprised to see my HR so low for the test, avg 143.  I went all out and negative split the 30 min, so should I take this # for what it is and base the remainder off a THR of 139? I don't know, but I feel it should have been higher.  Any thoughts?
2010-11-10 12:11 PM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada
I have a question about zeroing the torque on my Powertap.  I know I should do it before every ride but I haven't gotten into the habit of doing it yet.  *After* my workout last night, it occurred to me to check it and when I did it was at 2 instead of 0 which I then reset.  Is 2 a significant number in this case - ie. would the numbers I was looking at during (and after I guess) be inaccurate by a large amount?
2010-11-10 12:15 PM
in reply to: #3204500

User image

Coach
Boston, MA
mchubri` - 2010-11-10 10:17 AM Mornin!  I am water skiing behind most of you (one week behind) and just did my 30 Min TT this morning (HR Based) and I was really surprised to see my HR so low for the test, avg 143.  I went all out and negative split the 30 min, so should I take this # for what it is and base the remainder off a THR of 139? I don't know, but I feel it should have been higher.  Any thoughts?

try it out and see how it goes for coming workouts. If after completing some sessions it indeed feels too easy then add 3-5 bpm to your THR and try again!
2010-11-10 12:18 PM
in reply to: #3204853

User image

Coach
Boston, MA
axteraa - 2010-11-10 12:11 PM I have a question about zeroing the torque on my Powertap.  I know I should do it before every ride but I haven't gotten into the habit of doing it yet.  *After* my workout last night, it occurred to me to check it and when I did it was at 2 instead of 0 which I then reset.  Is 2 a significant number in this case - ie. would the numbers I was looking at during (and after I guess) be inaccurate by a large amount?

It could. If you set up your trainer usually in the same way (same resistance, same tire psi, etc) then you can check your avg watts and mph when doing a steady effort vs some file where the powermeter was calibrated. If the mph are off then you could estimate how much off your power was.

From experience, when my torque is off significantly I can 'feel' my watts are not were they ought to be, otherwise I would barely notice the difference.
New Thread
CLOSED
Other Resources Challenge Me! » Cycling Program v3.0 - 2010 - 2011 Rss Feed  

of 35