General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Lake Placid : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 148

2011-12-04 7:31 PM
in reply to: #3920237

User image

Master
NJ
Subject: RE: Ironman Lake Placid : Official Thread
newyorkfan21 - 2011-11-30 9:11 AM

Anyone planning on doing a Ironman Lake Placid ride months before the race this year?  I am looking to ride with a group or someone who want to train a day or a weekend out there.  

IMLP 2012

I'll be up there training/helping to run a camp weekend of June 8th with start-tri.  House is right on River Rd. We'll bike the course, swim  a bunch and have various paced runs also.  PM me if u would like more info. Im looking forward to going just to ride the course

2011-12-05 2:14 PM
in reply to: #3925365

User image

Extreme Veteran
Somewhere, British Columbia
Dream Chaser - 2011-12-04 9:35 AM
Tdotnew2tri - 2011-12-04 3:00 AM

Some advice with the nutrition please.
When I did my half ironman muskoka, I took in powerbar gel every 20mins a sip of heed (finished 3 bottles) and sip of water (finished 3 bottles) 3:55hrs later I was bloated and havent peed.  My mood was good, keeping out the negative thoughts and energy remains the same.  My quads on the other hand were sore and cramping that I could barely get off the bike in transition.  I did the same fo the run gel every 20mins and half a cup of water every aid station.  At the end of the whole race, I was really bloated that literally I could not see my toes!  I was peeing a couple of times in the run (never wearing one piece tri suit again!) but didnt really reduce my bloatedness.

so my questions are:  What nutrition should I take?  Right now I have gels, heed, gatorade and water (which one should I get rid of). and How do I take it in sequence?  Gel then water? or heed and water?  or drop the heed and go with gel water gatorade combo?

Thanks guys!

Sounds like you are taking into too much sodium and that's causing the water retention.  The Powerbar gels are 200mg of sodium.  It's suggested on the Powerbar package to take them every 20 to 45 mins; I take them every 45 mins to an hour.  Every 20 mins I think is a bit much.  So I would start by cutting your gel consumption by 50%. 

I've also had similar situations 70.3's and Lake Placid last year where I took in A LOT of fluid but didn't pee.  I've come to the conclusion it's from taking in too much sugar and electrolytes.  Sugar from sports drinks and sports bar, coupled with the salts from the drinks, bars, and gels; and because of this the water collects in the gut causing bloating and causing us not too pee.  So the changes I am going to make is upping my water intake and lowering my sugar and salt intake.  We also start the race with a lot of salts in our body, so often times the body doesn't need the abundance of electrolytes until we are several hours deep into the event, meanwhile we are shoving a lot of salt in right from the start.  But every athelete is different.  I know athletes who take in 1,000 mg of sodium an hour.  I tried this at a 70.3 once and I got so nauseous, my mouth tasted like saltwater and I almost DNF'd. 

An EXCELLENT way to test your nutrition is BRICK training.  

So between the them and the gatorade you 

I think, and have been told, nutrition is more than just sodium intake.

One of the main reason people bloating is carbs. Not enough carbs and it is likely you're gonna be bonking. Too much are you're gonna bloat.

One way to reduce bloating is to take sodium.

Basically, you need to find your right amount of carbs, then fluids and finally you play with sodium amount.

Usually, it is advisable to start with carbs amount of 35-60 g/hour of exercise. You can test during your training and go up to 75/80g. At 90g, most of the people will have GI issue and bloating (ymmv of course).

3 gels per hour (25g per gels) is close to 75g. If you add the HEED, then, you are likely to go over your treshold. Try to reduce this first.

Then, it is a good thing to consider close to 1 liter per hour.

Finally, sodium should be between 250 mg to up to 1,000 mg per hour. It is really a personal choice and should be gradually increased through the race.

"My" nutrition plan is the following:

- swim: 1 gel 45min before the swim and 1 gel 5 min before.

- bike: 1 bottle of water per hour; 1 gel every hour; 1 power bar (solid) every hour alternate (1 gel, 30 min later 1 bar, etc.); 1 salt cap every half hour

- run: 1 gel every half hour; Heed or Perform every aid station then followed by water (in that order to clean the sugar taste); 1 salt cap every half hour; bretzel from the half to the end.

This is mine, it is working for me, it might not work for you.

To finish and complete Dream Chaser statement, the excellent way to test it is not only during BRICK training but during ALL your training. If it is more the 1 hour training session, then it is worth tweaking your nutrition. You'll find that it is gonna be costly on the nutrition side but once race day, you don't have to think to anything, just apply what you have been practicing for months

Of course, once again, your mileage bla-bla-bla...

2011-12-05 3:09 PM
in reply to: #3925655

Extreme Veteran
Vermont
Major BC - 2011-12-04 4:57 PM

Please let me know where you are in training now. It is the begining of December so 8 months to go till race time. I did my first official brick today and plan them from now on - more or less. Has everyone started? Am I early or late? I'm in shape and basically did an Oly length bike and run today. I'm choosing to coach myself through this so I'm looking for help from fellow beginner racers.

I would say that you are fine. I follow a 30 week plan and that does not start until almost the end of the month. 30 months seems like a long time but it flies right by. I am using the next three weeks to ramp up to the plan and to shed a few pounds...hopefully. If you are coaching yourself, I would think that you would need to start by having a plan that you would like to follow. There are plenty out there. Some folks follow much shorter plans...so you definitely are not behind.

Edited by gatjr33 2011-12-05 3:11 PM
2011-12-05 3:35 PM
in reply to: #3925258

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2011-12-05 8:41 PM
in reply to: #3927155

Extreme Veteran
Somewhere, British Columbia

Here are the details:

http://www.endurancenation.us/en_camps/index.php

Sounds very good for the price !

Training wise, I did my first swimming session tonight since my crash 5 weeks ago. Only 30 min but very happy been able to do some kicking and easy drills. Finally, it's coming together...

Happy

Edited by playmobil31 2011-12-05 8:42 PM
2011-12-05 9:14 PM
in reply to: #3637183

Regular

I am also starting Fink's IronFit 30 Week plan on December 26.  For the last few weeks, I've been doing the winter cycling program from Coach Jorge found here on BT.  (I'm doing the heartrate version since I don't ride with a power meter.)

Question for the veterans: I'll only be about halfway through the 16 week cycling program and up to about 3 hour long rides when the first week of IronFit rolls around.  Is it okay to keep up with the longer cycling for the first period of the IronFit program?  How would you adapt the programs?

Thanks for your thoughts,

Edited by klassman 2011-12-05 9:14 PM

2011-12-05 11:06 PM
in reply to: #3925372

Veteran
Dream Chaser - 2011-12-04 8:45 AM
Tdotnew2tri - 2011-12-04 2:42 AM
playmobil31 - 2011-11-30 4:01 PM

Looks like we have the same profile.

I've done Muskoka this year and loved it but it was tough!!

I'm doing Tremblant the same week end as Welland to try to get the benefit of the hills.

I liked your idea about your cousin Other wise, I'm sure the TTC swim group will do some mass start exercise.

Muskoka was indeed tough!  The only thing that was only flat was the swim!  Even your way to T1 was hilly! haha.  Honestly though, after 2km of biking my ankles were sore and stayed sore for the rest of the 94k.  Hey do you remember how painful it was to climb that mountain at 72.5k? lol

I had Mt. Tremblant as an option but I decided to take it in easy, after all this will be just my a dress rehearsal for my nutrition andI also want to recover faster so no hills for me up until LP! 

TTC had some good mass start in the pool last season and OWS in cherry beach, I definitely took advantage on some of those. 

Have you had a bike fit?  I'm going to hazard a guess that this may be due to improper cycling form or a poor bike fit. 

I've heard and experienced a sore neck from being in aero, sore quads, sore lower back, and a sore butt from sitting in a saddle too long; but never sore ankles.  I'm assuming you have clip-in shoes? 

Also, how is your heel position when you pedal.  Are your feet flat are are you severely pointing your toes down? 

Hey Dream Chaser

Yeap I have been bike fitted and been riding the same bike for since febuary.  Its weird I have done 2 4hrs ride and none of that issue occured.  When I think about it, I think my cycling style is with flat feet.  I got a free bike fit for Enduro, and they are excellent very knowleagble store.  They changed my seat post and move my saddle forward and push the aero bar farther (road bike).  so now its super comfortable!

2011-12-05 11:10 PM
in reply to: #3927017

Veteran
playmobil31 - 2011-12-05 2:14 PM
Dream Chaser - 2011-12-04 9:35 AM
Tdotnew2tri - 2011-12-04 3:00 AM

Some advice with the nutrition please.
When I did my half ironman muskoka, I took in powerbar gel every 20mins a sip of heed (finished 3 bottles) and sip of water (finished 3 bottles) 3:55hrs later I was bloated and havent peed.  My mood was good, keeping out the negative thoughts and energy remains the same.  My quads on the other hand were sore and cramping that I could barely get off the bike in transition.  I did the same fo the run gel every 20mins and half a cup of water every aid station.  At the end of the whole race, I was really bloated that literally I could not see my toes!  I was peeing a couple of times in the run (never wearing one piece tri suit again!) but didnt really reduce my bloatedness.

so my questions are:  What nutrition should I take?  Right now I have gels, heed, gatorade and water (which one should I get rid of). and How do I take it in sequence?  Gel then water? or heed and water?  or drop the heed and go with gel water gatorade combo?

Thanks guys!

Sounds like you are taking into too much sodium and that's causing the water retention.  The Powerbar gels are 200mg of sodium.  It's suggested on the Powerbar package to take them every 20 to 45 mins; I take them every 45 mins to an hour.  Every 20 mins I think is a bit much.  So I would start by cutting your gel consumption by 50%. 

I've also had similar situations 70.3's and Lake Placid last year where I took in A LOT of fluid but didn't pee.  I've come to the conclusion it's from taking in too much sugar and electrolytes.  Sugar from sports drinks and sports bar, coupled with the salts from the drinks, bars, and gels; and because of this the water collects in the gut causing bloating and causing us not too pee.  So the changes I am going to make is upping my water intake and lowering my sugar and salt intake.  We also start the race with a lot of salts in our body, so often times the body doesn't need the abundance of electrolytes until we are several hours deep into the event, meanwhile we are shoving a lot of salt in right from the start.  But every athelete is different.  I know athletes who take in 1,000 mg of sodium an hour.  I tried this at a 70.3 once and I got so nauseous, my mouth tasted like saltwater and I almost DNF'd. 

An EXCELLENT way to test your nutrition is BRICK training.  

So between the them and the gatorade you 

I think, and have been told, nutrition is more than just sodium intake.

One of the main reason people bloating is carbs. Not enough carbs and it is likely you're gonna be bonking. Too much are you're gonna bloat.

One way to reduce bloating is to take sodium.

Basically, you need to find your right amount of carbs, then fluids and finally you play with sodium amount.

Usually, it is advisable to start with carbs amount of 35-60 g/hour of exercise. You can test during your training and go up to 75/80g. At 90g, most of the people will have GI issue and bloating (ymmv of course).

3 gels per hour (25g per gels) is close to 75g. If you add the HEED, then, you are likely to go over your treshold. Try to reduce this first.

Then, it is a good thing to consider close to 1 liter per hour.

Finally, sodium should be between 250 mg to up to 1,000 mg per hour. It is really a personal choice and should be gradually increased through the race.

"My" nutrition plan is the following:

- swim: 1 gel 45min before the swim and 1 gel 5 min before.

- bike: 1 bottle of water per hour; 1 gel every hour; 1 power bar (solid) every hour alternate (1 gel, 30 min later 1 bar, etc.); 1 salt cap every half hour

- run: 1 gel every half hour; Heed or Perform every aid station then followed by water (in that order to clean the sugar taste); 1 salt cap every half hour; bretzel from the half to the end.

This is mine, it is working for me, it might not work for you.

To finish and complete Dream Chaser statement, the excellent way to test it is not only during BRICK training but during ALL your training. If it is more the 1 hour training session, then it is worth tweaking your nutrition. You'll find that it is gonna be costly on the nutrition side but once race day, you don't have to think to anything, just apply what you have been practicing for months

Of course, once again, your mileage bla-bla-bla...

Thanks guys for the advice.  Ill try that next ride.  I remember peeing 5x within 20minutes after Muskoka race and possibly dropped 10lbs of water weight lol!  I think Im dropping HEED I dont like the taste that much.  I may go more with gatorade. 

Any leads to cheap powerbar sale online?  Thanks!

2011-12-05 11:44 PM

Veteran

A few questions for BeIronfit graduates:

Did you feel prepared on race days after completing the plan?

Did you see any improvement in speed with your run while staying in zone 2?

Did your bike speed improve?

Thanks!

2011-12-06 2:26 PM
in reply to: #3927605

Tdotnew2tri - 2011-12-06 12:44 AM

Thanks!

Yes. Yes.  And Yes

My training buddy is coached by well-established coach and the funny thing is, our weekend Long Workouts were very similar last year. 

In my opinion, the Be Iron-Fit Intermediate plan is a basic meat and potatoes Ironman training plan.  It covers the fundamentals well.  No bells or whistles, nothing fancy.  Many other basic Ironman plans are three weeks of increasing volume, 1 week recovery; Be Iron-Fit is just consistently building.  It's amazing how this plan within a month just got me used to 10-hour weeks. with no residual fatigue  And you do get a recovery week after your 70.3 race in May (or for me early June).  It's a great plan for a beginner or any triathlete who want's to have a solid Ironman race.     

2011-12-06 2:30 PM
in reply to: #3927605

Thanks!

And two more things, if you search Be Iron-Fit plan on this site as I did, you'll find a dozen plus other BT members who have all had excellent success with this plan.  I honestly have not read a bad review about this plan.

And lastly, (for the majority of us avg ager's) Ironman running IS NOT ABOUT SPEED.  It's about consistency and "time on your feet".  It's about maintaining a steady Z2 pace after swimming 2.4 miles and biking 112 miles.  The consistent turtle is faster than the hare who blows up at mile 12 of the marathon.  Trust me.  I know  

2011-12-06 3:43 PM
in reply to: #3927524

klassman - 2011-12-05 10:14 PM

I am also starting Fink's IronFit 30 Week plan on December 26.  For the last few weeks, I've been doing the winter cycling program from Coach Jorge found here on BT.  (I'm doing the heartrate version since I don't ride with a power meter.)

Question for the veterans: I'll only be about halfway through the 16 week cycling program and up to about 3 hour long rides when the first week of IronFit rolls around.  Is it okay to keep up with the longer cycling for the first period of the IronFit program?  How would you adapt the programs?

Since I ran the Philly Marathon two weeks ago, I needed two weeks to recover and just started the Jorge Winter Cycling Plan.  I am going to see the Plan all the way through; that takes me three weeks into March.  When I'm done with Jorge's plan, then I will simply transition to the Be Iron-Fit workouts.  I would suggest seeing the Jorge Winter Cycling plan to the end while following the Be Iron-Fit Swim/Run workouts. 

If you complete Jorge's plan, you will be in EXCELLENT cycling shape to start the Spring season.  If you want to do longer endurance sessions on the weekend, have at it. 

2011-12-06 6:47 PM
in reply to: #3928525

Master
PA
Dream Chaser - 2011-12-06 3:30 PM

Thanks!

And two more things, if you search Be Iron-Fit plan on this site as I did, you'll find a dozen plus other BT members who have all had excellent success with this plan.  I honestly have not read a bad review about this plan.

And lastly, (for the majority of us avg ager's) Ironman running IS NOT ABOUT SPEED.  It's about consistency and "time on your feet".  It's about maintaining a steady Z2 pace after swimming 2.4 miles and biking 112 miles.  The consistent turtle is faster than the hare who blows up at mile 12 of the marathon.  Trust me.  I know  

The consistent turtle is faster than the hare who blows up at mile 12 of the marathon. 

Agreed.  1-2 mins slower per mile will finish you FAR ahead than 13 miles of walking.

2011-12-06 10:23 PM
in reply to: #3928680

Regular
Dream Chaser - 2011-12-06 4:43 PM 8

Since I ran the Philly Marathon two weeks ago, I needed two weeks to recover and just started the Jorge Winter Cycling Plan.  I am going to see the Plan all the way through; that takes me three weeks into March.  When I'm done with Jorge's plan, then I will simply transition to the Be Iron-Fit workouts.  I would suggest seeing the Jorge Winter Cycling plan to the end while following the Be Iron-Fit Swim/Run workouts. 

If you complete Jorge's plan, you will be in EXCELLENT cycling shape to start the Spring season.  If you want to do longer endurance sessions on the weekend, have at it. 

Dream Chaser -- Thanks for the input.  It's funny, the BT community is very positive about the IronFit programs and overwhelmingly enthusiastic about Coach Jorge's plan.  If I'm not prepared come July, it will be my own damn fault.

2011-12-07 1:42 AM
in reply to: #3928525

Veteran
Dream Chaser - 2011-12-06 2:30 PM

Thanks!

What a great confidence booster!  Thanks very much for you honest input!
I was just wondering because as of right now Ive been playing around with the plan and with the base training I am running 11min/mile.  Ive read some people improved down to 9min-8min/mile.

I know what you mean by blowing up in the marathon, I did my first full last spring and I PRed in 10k and 21k lol! then prayed for the rest of the way.  I know I know I was supposed to be negative.

2011-12-09 3:47 PM

Veteran
Va Beach

Its the Fink's IronFit 30 Week plan for me also. This will be my 4th IM using this plan and I always feel ready on race day. Good luck to everyone in your training and stay healthy, that's what matters most. If you miss a workout or 2 so be it, don't worry about it, just stay healthy!!! Start practicing nutrition now, it's never too early for that. Experiment some and see what works best for you, everyone is different.

Jim 

2011-12-09 9:00 PM
in reply to: #3929077

Master
PA
klassman - 2011-12-06 11:23 PM
Dream Chaser - 2011-12-06 4:43 PM 8

Dream Chaser -- Thanks for the input.  It's funny, the BT community is very positive about the IronFit programs and overwhelmingly enthusiastic about Coach Jorge's plan.  If I'm not prepared come July, it will be my own damn fault.

I blew my goals out of the water using Jorge as an actual coach if you ever decide to look for a plan that's more personalized.

2011-12-13 3:52 AM

Veteran
Hey guysI want to rent race wheels on race day but i don't know anything about changing them if i run into a flat!Any experience people wanna share their experience with this? Tubular or clincher?My reason is I wanna look cool and pro! Not much about the speed lol!
2011-12-13 10:27 AM
in reply to: #3936004

Master
...at home in The ATL
Tdotnew2tri - 2011-12-13 4:52 AMHey guysI want to rent race wheels on race day but i don't know anything about changing them if i run into a flat!Any experience people wanna share their experience with this? Tubular or clincher?My reason is I wanna look cool and pro! Not much about the speed lol!

Tdotnew2tri:this question can get folks into a huge debate because there is so many differing positions as to the merits of each. Historically tubies were considered better (lighter, better rolling resistance, better road feel, etc.) but truthfully with the right setup many of the new clincher/wheel combos perform at least as well as a good tubular setup. So to me the answer (like always) is that "it depends." What options are available to you? I have raced on tubulars for years (currently 808/1080), and do just about all my own wrenching. I am very confident in gluing and changing my tires. In fact I am pretty sure I can change my tubulars much faster than I can my clinchers. I flatted in a crash at IMLP last year and had my front tire changed in less than a minute, and that was with a seperated shoulder and one good arm. Of course that also included a razor blade and ruining a $120 tire. This also means that I have to maintain two different repair kits (one for training and one for racing).

My wife got a new set of racing wheels this year and she went with the 404/808 Firecrest clinchers, which is what I might do as well if I were to get a new set right now. supposedly just as fast (with the right tubes, tires, and air pressure) as my current setup and much more "familiar" to her as far as maintenance and repair.

All that said, If I were renting and unfamiliar with tubulars, I would go for clinchers, but be prepared with my own tires and tubes just in case I was not happy with what they provided. Also, I am not sure how excited I would be by having no knowledge of the glue job on a set of rental tubulars - I am sure they are done well, but gluing them yourself is sort of like packing your own chute. I glue mine like a pro peloton rider, not like a triathlete, but that is just me.

2011-12-13 12:33 PM
in reply to: #3936004

Tdotnew2tri - 2011-12-13 4:52 AM Hey guysI want to rent race wheels on race day but i don't know anything about changing them if i run into a flat!Any experience people wanna share their experience with this? Tubular or clincher?My reason is I wanna look cool and pro! Not much about the speed lol!

Clinchers.  Clinchers.  Clinchers.  Next question. 

2011-12-13 12:37 PM

I kid, of course.  But seriously...  no question: clinchers.  If you get a flat, you'll know how to change it.  They are just much more practical.  If you want a smoother, slightly faster ride, then spend the money and get latex tubes to put on your clinchers.  Latex lubes are faster than regular butyl tubes.

And for the record, the pro cyclists over in Europe set Time Trial records with clinchers all the time.  When all is said and done, once again, it's the Engine that counts most. 

2011-12-13 12:41 PM

Quick question:  What wheels are you looking at?  The reason I ask is, do yourself a favor and don't go deep in the front; deeper than a 60 that is.  The Keene descent can be gnarly and you don't want your front tire getting blown all around!! Plus, if you're not an excellent bike handler, the corrections you will constantly be making with a deep-dish front tire will negate the minimal time savings of a deep dish front. 

For the most part, you can go deep as you want on the back, or run a disc, but keep it shallow in the front.  That's a good rule of thumb that was told to me and it's worked out well.   

2011-12-13 5:04 PM

Veteran
thank u guys for yournquick reply but ill read them when i get home. right now i need your opinion on these two bikes cause i cant decide. bike 12011 felt b16 only used under 100miles for oly distance. the price is $1500bike 22009 felt b2r with zipp 404 rear wheel sram red and he changed his aero bar to profile design cx3 and limited edition zero g red brakes. comes with giro advantage helmet 2 and carbon cage. price is $2800i tried to find a review for b2r but found very few. whats your input on these two? thanks!
2011-12-13 5:27 PM
in reply to: #3937384

Tdotnew2tri - 2011-12-13 6:04 PM thank u guys for yournquick reply but ill read them when i get home. right now i need your opinion on these two bikes cause i cant decide. bike 12011 felt b16 only used under 100miles for oly distance. the price is $1500bike 22009 felt b2r with zipp 404 rear wheel sram red and he changed his aero bar to profile design cx3 and limited edition zero g red brakes. comes with giro advantage helmet 2 and carbon cage. price is $2800i tried to find a review for b2r but found very few. whats your input on these two? thanks!

Which ever you can afford, provided the first Felt also has good components.  No bike is necessarily better than another bike as long as it allows you to get into a comfortable aero position.  The bike is only 15% of the drag.  You are 85%.  It's all about the Engine on the bike; not the bike.  Are they both the same size?  Which ever bike fits better, which allows you to produce the most consistent power will get you through 112 miles most efficiently. 

Everyone should be riding the trainer right now, right?!?!  Unless of course you live in a warm climate and can still train outside.

2011-12-13 5:31 PM
in reply to: #3937396

Veteran
Dream Chaser - 2011-12-13 5:27 PM

Tdotnew2tri - 2011-12-13 6:04 PM thank u guys for yournquick reply but ill read them when i get home. right now i need your opinion on these two bikes cause i cant decide. bike 12011 felt b16 only used under 100miles for oly distance. the price is $1500bike 22009 felt b2r with zipp 404 rear wheel sram red and he changed his aero bar to profile design cx3 and limited edition zero g red brakes. comes with giro advantage helmet 2 and carbon cage. price is $2800i tried to find a review for b2r but found very few. whats your input on these two? thanks!

Which ever you can afford, provided the first Felt also has good components.  No bike is necessarily better than another bike as long as it allows you to get into a comfortable aero position.  The bike is only 15% of the drag.  You are 85%.  It's all about the Engine on the bike; not the bike.  Are they both the same size?  Which ever bike fits better, which allows you to produce the most consistent power will get you through 112 miles most efficiently. 

Everyone should be riding the trainer right now, right?!?!  Unless of course you live in a warm climate an I haven'd can still train outside.

B16 is 52 and b2r is 54. I'm 5'8 184lbs and riding a 54 road bike. I haven't tried any tri bikes so i don't know.
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Lake Placid : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 148