BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Fred D and Jason's (Tri808) Half Ironman Mentor Group CLOSED! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 51

2013-05-07 3:05 PM
in reply to: #4731780

User image

Subject: RE: Fred D and Jason's (Tri808) Half Ironman Mentor Group
Fred D - 2013-05-07 9:48 AM

Biggest plus I can currently see is that the bike allows my muscles to warm up and I tend to run a bit easier and faster after riding, so I may well be doing more in the near future.

I was debating doing the "BIG TRAINING DAY" last year. Swim 3,000 yds, ride 70-80 miles and then run 10-12 miles all as a brick. I never ended up doing it but I really believe that swimming/bike bricks are probably a pretty good idea for a lot of us.

What effort or HR or wattage we can sustain on the bike is often different if a swim is involved.

Anyone want to chime in with their thoughts?

I always run faster after biking.  If it were logistically easy, I think a nice 20 minute spin with a few short/hard efforts in there would be a great way to warm up for running.  But instead I just use the first 2 miles of running to warm up since my training runs aren't actually a race.  Those are usually the hardest miles mentally since your pace is a bit slower, and certain things just don't feel loose.  This is also why it's a good idea to warm up well before a running race.  I used to laugh at the guys who were running a few miles before a half marathon thinking they were wasting their energy.  Now I get it.

I have always been meaning to experiment with a swim/bike brick.  I absolutely believe that the effort we can hold after swimming can vary greatly based on swim fitness and pacing.  Logistics is the toughest part of this, and for most of my tri career I have taken the "just swim easy" approach and start racing when I get on the bike.  Now that my swimming is a little better, and my overall goals don't allow me to cruise the swim as much, I do need to start experimenting with more swim/bike bricks.

2013-05-07 3:07 PM
in reply to: #4723777

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ogallala, Nebraska

For me personally, I like doing bricks. I don't know if there is a big physical performance gain but I feel so much better mentally when I head out on the run knowing that my body should feel this way and that I'm right where I need to be because I've felt it before in training. The other thing bricks have helped me with is pacing. Since doing lots more bricks I've learned how to pace myself better so I don't blow up halfway through the run.

Since I practice the nutrition I plan to use on race day it made sense to me to practice the "feel" of what the run is going to be like after the bike. I also plan to do some swim to bike bricks this summer so I know what works on hydration and gels and how my legs will feel after the swim.

Just my $.02

Steve

2013-05-07 3:11 PM

User image

Steve - that's a good approach.  Bricks are very much about feel and experimentation. 
2013-05-07 3:36 PM

User image

Regular
Chicago

My coach has us doing a brick nearly every single weekend (probably 3 out of 4 weeks a month). The runs are never long - just 15-30 minutes. My knees always feel wonky when I run after biking, but I find bricks helpful bc repetition helps me predict - almost to the minute - when that feeling will go away. Bricks also help me practice good form in my run after biking. Back straight, shoulders back, quick turnover and keeping my arms close (when I'm tired I run like a wacky inflatable tube man) to my torso.

Next week my training plan calls for a 4x (20' bike, 10' run). I did this workout last year too and I was pretty out of it by the 4th repeat. Ran with my helmet on :\

2013-05-07 3:46 PM

User image

Master
TORONTO

The plan I'm doing calls for a brick once a week - a hard 45-50' bike ride followed by a 15'-20' run.  

I read on a thread that there is no point to doing a brick run if you are just doing the Ironman shuffle so I tend to push the pace and focus on form but I haven't really noticed anything aside from feeling as though I'm doing two good strong workouts.

Where I noticed it most was after my long ride this past weekend.  Man - talk about race simulation!  My run was brutal - hot, intense sun and my legs felt horrible.  Flashbacks to my last HIM run and so I think I will do more of them after my long rides so that I can mentally get used to that feeling and know how to focus on form, not worry about pace, and ease in to the run with the hope that practice will make it easier.

2013-05-07 4:20 PM
in reply to: #4731885

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas
doxie - 2013-05-07 4:36 PM

Next week my training plan calls for a 4x (20' bike, 10' run). I did this workout last year too and I was pretty out of it by the 4th repeat. Ran with my helmet on :\

Safety first.  Tongue out

I think bricks are, as people have posted here, all about understanding the feel of it rather than gaining specific fitness.  They can also help with pacing, but I see that as a kind of feel for the race overall.  Very useful for those things, but perhaps that why you see people doing fewer of them as they gain experience.

Myself, I kinda like them for the fun of it.  I'm still newly enough back to tri (and new enough in tri in general) that they're just fun - OK, super-tri-dorky-fun, but fun nonetheless.

That said, I don't overdo them wrt frequency, as too much fun tends to get me in trouble (in so many ways).

Aside: I just started Friel's "Your Best Triathlon" Oly plan this week (to be judiciously modified, I expect), and I think he has a few in there (haven't read the whole plan yet).  Kind of a lot of volume, if you do all the optional workouts (and who can resist??), so with other life-priorities this might turn into a "Your Really Good Triathlon" training plan.  We'll see!

Matt

2013-05-07 4:25 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

Edited by Fred D 2013-05-07 4:26 PM
2013-05-07 4:31 PM
in reply to: #4731908

2013-05-07 4:32 PM
in reply to: #4731908

kimmax - 2013-05-07 10:46 AM

Where I noticed it most was after my long ride this past weekend.  Man - talk about race simulation!  My run was brutal - hot, intense sun and my legs felt horrible.  Flashbacks to my last HIM run and so I think I will do more of them after my long rides so that I can mentally get used to that feeling and know how to focus on form, not worry about pace, and ease in to the run with the hope that practice will make it easier.

There can be a lot of factors that play into a tough brick run, but one thing you may want to consider is easing off the effort on the bike a little to see what happens.  It takes quite a bit of bike fitness to push for 56 miles and still be able to run well.  Most people would be better off biking a lot easier than they want to for a HIM.

2013-05-07 4:46 PM
in reply to: #4732010

Edited by Fred D 2013-05-07 4:47 PM
2013-05-07 5:03 PM
in reply to: #4732031

Master
Orlando
Fred D - 2013-05-07 4:46 PM
tri808 - 2013-05-07 5:32 PM

There can be a lot of factors that play into a tough brick run, but one thing you may want to consider is easing off the effort on the bike a little to see what happens.  It takes quite a bit of bike fitness to push for 56 miles and still be able to run well.  Most people would be better off biking a lot easier than they want to for a HIM.

. It takes even more fitness to do that said 56 mile ride after a 1.2 mile swim as well. I think the biggest part of HIM racing that is underestimated is that a triathlon (and especially a longer one) is not a swim and then a bike and then a run.... But rather it is a 70.3 mile race where you are required o keep moving forward and keep using that aerobic engine (your heart). What I mean by this is that triathlon is essentially just a one sport race. Yes we use different muscles and different equipment to move during the SBR portions, but that overall success is based on pacing that aerobic engine for the time it takes to get from the start to the finish. The number of times Jason and I have heard 'I would have had a great race except that I didn't have a good run (or bike or whatever)' is almost comical. What happens to the person who is doing great on the swim, even better on the bike and then underperforms the run (for their ability) is that they missed the point I am trying (probably poorly) to make. Ask yourself what the fastest way is to get from start to finish? I doubt in a logical sense it's going to be swim a bit too hard, bike a lot too hard and then shuffle the run.... And yet I and many others have done just that in execution. Hoping this spurs some (or a lot) discussion....
Interesting discussion. I've always heard that there is no such thing as a good bike followed by a bad run. I try to remember that and not out bike my bike fitness in races, but it can be hard not to get caught up in the excitement of the race. Over cooking it in a sprint is not such a big deal, but in longer distances it can lead to a really, really long run.

2013-05-07 5:23 PM

Expert
Fred D - 2013-05-07 5:46 PM
tri808 - 2013-05-07 5:32 PM

. It takes even more fitness to do that said 56 mile ride after a 1.2 mile swim as well. I think the biggest part of HIM racing that is underestimated is that a triathlon (and especially a longer one) is not a swim and then a bike and then a run.... But rather it is a 70.3 mile race where you are required o keep moving forward and keep using that aerobic engine (your heart). What I mean by this is that triathlon is essentially just a one sport race. Yes we use different muscles and different equipment to move during the SBR portions, but that overall success is based on pacing that aerobic engine for the time it takes to get from the start to the finish. The number of times Jason and I have heard 'I would have had a great race except that I didn't have a good run (or bike or whatever)' is almost comical. What happens to the person who is doing great on the swim, even better on the bike and then underperforms the run (for their ability) is that they missed the point I am trying (probably poorly) to make. Ask yourself what the fastest way is to get from start to finish? I doubt in a logical sense it's going to be swim a bit too hard, bike a lot too hard and then shuffle the run.... And yet I and many others have done just that in execution. Hoping this spurs some (or a lot) discussion....

Fred, you made your point very well, and I completely agree. My HIM PR (not very fast, but still my best) was when I consciously held back just a little bit on the bike. It was definitely the best I have ever executed a race. I felt great on the run with no walking, not even through the aid stations. I remember getting to mile 9 or 10, realizing how good I felt, what a great race I was having, and I ended up smiling most of the rest of the race.

As far as my favorite workout goes, it's hard to say. I always enjoy running, but even more so in weather that some might think isn't great. I love to run in the rain, snow, and even those couple of days a year when the temp goes below zero. I would say my favorite would be running in the snow before sunrise. My least favorite would be swim training. I like the swimming itself, but I just don't like going to the Y, and all the preparation once I'm there. If I could train in OW, that would be ideal.

2013-05-07 5:52 PM

Fred D - 2013-05-07 11:46 AM

It takes even more fitness to do that said 56 mile ride after a 1.2 mile swim as well. I think the biggest part of HIM racing that is underestimated is that a triathlon (and especially a longer one) is not a swim and then a bike and then a run.... But rather it is a 70.3 mile race where you are required o keep moving forward and keep using that aerobic engine (your heart). What I mean by this is that triathlon is essentially just a one sport race. Yes we use different muscles and different equipment to move during the SBR portions, but that overall success is based on pacing that aerobic engine for the time it takes to get from the start to the finish. The number of times Jason and I have heard 'I would have had a great race except that I didn't have a good run (or bike or whatever)' is almost comical. What happens to the person who is doing great on the swim, even better on the bike and then underperforms the run (for their ability) is that they missed the point I am trying (probably poorly) to make. Ask yourself what the fastest way is to get from start to finish? I doubt in a logical sense it's going to be swim a bit too hard, bike a lot too hard and then shuffle the run.... And yet I and many others have done just that in execution. Hoping this spurs some (or a lot) discussion....

Hey...I used to make some of those excuses myself at one time!!!

But it is very true.  Triathlon is one race that we generally train as 3 individual sports.  Nothing wrong with that since there is a lot of value to single sport training focus.  The key is putting things together on race day.

With long course racing, you really have to take a hard look at yourself in the mirror and be honest with yourself.  Not only about your training, but the weather as well.  A lot of times we try to race the race we want to have instead of racing the race we know we are capable of given the conditions or the hand we are dealt.  You might be able to get away with that a bit in a sprint or Oly, but you'll get a face full of humble pie if you are not real with yourself during long course.

The key to really dialing it in at long course is experience...in both racing and training.  I'm only attempting my 3rd HIM, but I've got a half a dozen or so other races in the 4-5 hour range to build off of and I still don't have all the answers.

I do know however that some of my best races in longer course is when I went in with lesser expectations and paced myself conservatively early on.  You rarely hear anyone in a HIM or IM say that they wished they biked or swam harder because they had too much energy when they finished the run.  Of course naturally as I tried longer events for the second time, I tried to push a little harder, and sometimes went a little overboard.  Upon reflection, it made sense why a given pace was too hard for me, but sometimes you have to give it a try to see for yourself.  That's part of the learning experience.

2013-05-07 6:31 PM

Champion
Out running or enjoying a fine glass of red...
Subject: RE: Fred D and Jason's (Tri808) Half Ironman Mentor Group OPEN!
The 20-week BT plan has me doing a swim/bike brick this week - I'm excited because I think it's really the first time I'll be testing nutrition...I've played around with eating on the bike but I've never been at a swim-induced deficit before, so I'm sure it will be illuminating.
2013-05-07 6:49 PM

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois
So I won a free Xterra wetsuit a little over a week ago from USA Productions, who has run a couple of the tris I have done.  They said they'd email me the points I could use on Xterra's website (haven't gotten the email yet but that's neither here nor there).  So there are many things I need more than a new wetsuit so my plan is to sell it and use the money on tri stuff I want more.  For instance, last night I bought online a new Adamo Road saddle.  My current saddle is the stock one that came with my bike and it's terrible.  All the pressure feels like it is on one...very sensitive...point.  Hard to stay aero more than 20 miles.  So I am uber-excited to get my new saddle.  After I do I'm going to take the bike to one of my LBSs for a fitting.  
2013-05-07 7:40 PM

NC

The number of times Jason and I have heard 'I would have had a great race except that I didn't have a good run (or bike or whatever)' is almost comical.

But I had a good bike split.

2013-05-07 7:40 PM
in reply to: #4732227

2013-05-07 7:42 PM
in reply to: #4732269

2013-05-07 7:49 PM
in reply to: #4732272

Fred D - 2013-05-07 2:42 PM
Goosedog - 2013-05-07 8:40 PM

The number of times Jason and I have heard 'I would have had a great race except that I didn't have a good run (or bike or whatever)' is almost comical.

But I had a good bike split.

. Lol, going into black bear HIM in 2 weeks, it is a VERY tough bike course, and yes all I'm thinking about is my bike split....sadly I have the intelligence to know what to do, but do I have the wisdom? Lol

Rudy...Rudy...Rudy...HAHAHA

ETA: My bike mechanic never understands why I do tris or runs instead of just bike race.  I told him he should do an Oly with me.  The swim is close enough to shore where he can touch the bottom, then he can just hammer the bike as hard as he can.  When he gets to T2, have a blank piece of paper pinned to his race belt so he can write down his bike split, face it backwards, and just walk the run.  LOL.

Edited by tri808 2013-05-07 7:52 PM
2013-05-07 9:59 PM
in reply to: #4732270

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois

Fred D - 2013-05-07 5:40 PM

Adamo saddles are great for some and not so great for others. I'm one who did not do well with an Adamo. Can you try out the saddles at your LBS before buying?

They might but the tri community in Fresno is not strong enough to where the local shops carry much tri specific stuff.  The one bike shop that reportedly carries Adamo saddles does not actually carry them.  And my finances are such that it the money I might conceivable get for the wetsuit I haven't sold yet would not necessarily fund the purchase of a full price new saddle from a shop and a fitting.  So I'm kind of hedging my bets and putting all my chips on the Adamo Road saddle for now.  I don't think it could be worse than my current saddle and if it is I could deal with the one I currently have for this season and sell the Road.  It's a calculated risk scenario between my finances and the tri stuff.  Hoping for the best.  But I'm prepared to deal with status quo.  Besides, if I didn't win the wetsuit, I'd be just dealing with my current saddle till next season.

Edited by jmholzman 2013-05-07 10:00 PM
2013-05-07 10:25 PM

Hello, I know I'm quite late to the party, do you have room for 1 more? I'm on my iPad so I will spare you a long intro, my name is Tim, I'm 41 married and have 2 kids (12 boy & 7 girl). I'm entered in the Kansas HIM June 9th, it will be my first tri (I like to jump in with both feet), I started doing Duathlons last year. As of December I could swim 25m & had to rest, now I can do 2500 no problem, I'm not fast on the swim, I'm looking for about a 45 min split which has been leaving me fresh, the bike is where I've been working most lately in my limited training time, been doing a couple 40-60 mile rides/week plus a shorter 1 hr ride, I'm trying to bump both my bike & run time for the last few weeks before I taper. I did my first race this year the Sunday before last & was pleased with my results (13th out of about 150 but 5th in my AG my splits improved drastically from what I was doing last year) then I went home and rode another 40 in a nasty wind on some pretty good hills, this Saturday weather was bad so I took the opportunity to drive a couple hundred miles to pick up a tri bike (YAY) then I did an hour on the trainer, Sunday I did a 20 mile ride (hills) enroute to a 40 mile group ride then rode back home (more hills). So much for a short intro, sorry. Tim

2013-05-07 10:30 PM
in reply to: #4732429

JM, I know I'm not an official member of the group but I had to weigh in, I bought an Adamo Race saddle, I love it! I recently saw someone posted one for sale on slow twitch, do a search for Adamo saddle on the classified section & you should find it. HTH! Tim

Edited by BigAirT 2013-05-07 10:31 PM
2013-05-07 10:38 PM

Extreme Veteran
Ogallala, Nebraska
You might try checking with your LBS to see if they have one on a used bike or know someone that would let you try it out. My wife is getting a new saddle and she sat on my Adamo. She knew inside of 2 minutes that it wasn't what she wanted. She's getting a Selle with the turned down nose. For me, I have the race on both my tri and road bike and love it. It works for me but she thought it was too wide for her.
2013-05-07 10:52 PM

Andover, KS
1hour trainer session this morning, hard 25 minute run this evening before a volleyball game. We got our butts kicked at the game, but I chased the loss down with a double cheese burger, a chili dog, and two custard concretes. I'll reset my diet tomorrow. As for workouts--I love long runs in a light drizzle and I love hard bike rides on windless days. I most dislike riding in the trainer, running on the treadmill, running in high heat, or the first 10 minutes if any swim workout--I usually get in a rhythm after that.
2013-05-07 11:10 PM

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois

I mean I completely agree going into my LBS and somehow trying out the saddle before I bought it would probably have been the smart thing to do...but that ship has sailed.  The saddle was ordered two days ago.  Under the circumstances my logic was a) I would not go into my LBS and ask them for help on buying a saddle and already going in thinking I was not going to purchase the saddle from them, b) my finances are such that I cannot afford to both purchase a saddle and pay for a fitting at my LBS and c) I definitely need the fitting with our without the new saddle, and d) even if I'm wrong on the Adamo it's a free mistake anyways, I'm playing on house money because the wetsuit I'm selling was free to me - if I'm wrong I can sell the saddle and try again next year.

Not saying this was necessarily the smartest path, just that it was the path I followed.

Edited by jmholzman 2013-05-07 11:11 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Fred D and Jason's (Tri808) Half Ironman Mentor Group CLOSED! Rss Feed  

of 51