BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatees 2015.4 CLOSED (or Poptart/pet pic ticket) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 60

2015-10-22 10:09 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
Subject: RE: Mad Manatees 2015.4 CLOSED (or Poptart/pet pic ticket)

Originally posted by amd723

Originally posted by blueyedbikergirl

Pet pictures!!!  

Our totally vicious pit bull mix Brisket:

Brisket!

And our other cute little furry jerks Miss Priscilla (dark tabby) and Mr. Felix (ginger

puddies!

Brisket looks like a killer!

Here's my vicious German Shepherd Gunnar.

ETA: I have no idea why the pics only posted as links!!!

I can tell that Gunnar and Brisket are both meanies!  I like Gunnar's portrait too!

@Chris, do you have time to do a Pet Gallery?

2015-10-22 10:11 AM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

I'm back from the insane road trip. Had fun with DH on the drive, got to enjoy some great seafood with DS2 on his birthday, and got in a couple of amazing runs. It's soooo easy to run at sea level!!!!!!!!!! I did 12+ miles one day and it felt so effortless! Not for lack of hills either. That little coastal town had it's share of hills. I can't log my runs on Strava yet because DS1 was messing with my computer and now Garmin Connect won't open

Buuuut... yesterday my calves (mostly the right) tightened up big time. I noticed it when we walked through the airports. At first it's super tight and slows my gait but after a while it loosens up and is fine. This morning when I woke up it was the same thing. Thoughts?

2015-10-22 10:17 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Regarding coaching --

I'm staying with Maija through Boston.  She helped to get me there, she knows me well and I don't want to mess with it.  She has agreed to help me out with the transition as well.  To me, that means helping to select events for next year (I, too, could easily be a race-a-holic) and getting some of the basics done.  That being said, I need to come up with an May - September plan. 

So....

Endurance Nation?  Hands, I think that you've used them?  Anyone else?  What say you?

Also, what about the BT coaching?  Do anyone of you know folks who have used that?  That actually doesn't sound too bad.  It sounds like self coaching with a safety net?  Thoughts?

(yes, still thinking out loud)

2015-10-22 10:20 AM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by rrrunner

I'm back from the insane road trip. Had fun with DH on the drive, got to enjoy some great seafood with DS2 on his birthday, and got in a couple of amazing runs. It's soooo easy to run at sea level!!!!!!!!!! I did 12+ miles one day and it felt so effortless! Not for lack of hills either. That little coastal town had it's share of hills. I can't log my runs on Strava yet because DS1 was messing with my computer and now Garmin Connect won't open

Buuuut... yesterday my calves (mostly the right) tightened up big time. I noticed it when we walked through the airports. At first it's super tight and slows my gait but after a while it loosens up and is fine. This morning when I woke up it was the same thing. Thoughts?

Welcome back!

I'm glad that the road trip went well and that you were able to see DS2 for this birthday.

It sucks about the calves.  I had the same issue when flying after Vineman this year.  I felt good in the days after the race and then tightened up like crazy on the flight back.  ARG!  I wish I knew that to tell you.  Can you get your chiro or someone to work on them? That would probably be the most expedient solution.

2015-10-22 10:24 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by jmkizer

Welcome back!

I'm glad that the road trip went well and that you were able to see DS2 for this birthday.

It sucks about the calves.  I had the same issue when flying after Vineman this year.  I felt good in the days after the race and then tightened up like crazy on the flight back.  ARG!  I wish I knew that to tell you.  Can you get your chiro or someone to work on them? That would probably be the most expedient solution.

I'm actually scheduled to see him this afternoon so I'll ask him about it.  Did yours go away after a few days? I'd planned today as a rest day anyway but don't want to irritate it tomorrow if I run.  Moab is in two weeks!

2015-10-22 10:25 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Regarding coaching --

I'm staying with Maija through Boston.  She helped to get me there, she knows me well and I don't want to mess with it.  She has agreed to help me out with the transition as well.  To me, that means helping to select events for next year (I, too, could easily be a race-a-holic) and getting some of the basics done.  That being said, I need to come up with an May - September plan. 

So....

Endurance Nation?  Hands, I think that you've used them?  Anyone else?  What say you?

Also, what about the BT coaching?  Do anyone of you know folks who have used that?  That actually doesn't sound too bad.  It sounds like self coaching with a safety net?  Thoughts?

Those seem like good options. I don't have experience with either but I'll be interested to see what the others say...

2015-10-22 10:28 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Welcome back!

I'm actually scheduled to see him this afternoon so I'll ask him about it.  Did yours go away after a few days? I'd planned today as a rest day anyway but don't want to irritate it tomorrow if I run.  Moab is in two weeks!

I want to say that it was more like a week but I suspect that if your chiro works on it, magic will happen. 

2015-10-22 10:30 AM
in reply to: blueyedbikergirl

User image

Master
Orlando

Pet pictures!!!  

And our other cute little furry jerks Miss Priscilla (dark tabby) and Mr. Felix (ginger

OhMuhGarsh!!  He's so fluffy I'm gonna die!!  

Too bad all the fluff doesn't stay on him!!

2015-10-22 10:31 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Pet pictures!!!  

OhMuhGarsh!!  He's so fluffy I'm gonna die!!  

Oooooh, that's a three dog night kinda pup!!!!

ha!

2015-10-22 10:39 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Welcome back!

I want to say that it was more like a week but I suspect that if your chiro works on it, magic will happen. 

One of the things that led to my recent (and sort of continuing) calf and knee injury was my calf tightening up.  It was fine one minute and the next it was tighter than it had ever been.  I went to PT for my injury where my calf was "massaged" and I was told to stretch. I do the standard runner's stretch with the stretching leg straight back, the modified runner's stretch where you bend that leg and kinda squat a bit, bridges, bridges with kicks, couple of types of hamstring stretches, and lunges.  I do other things too, but I don't think they address the calf at all.  It took a week or week and a half for it to loosen up.  Hopefully, yours is not in as bad of shape as mine.    

2015-10-22 10:44 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Regarding coaching --

So....

EN is really not a hands on coaching experience.  There are 2 coaches and they do give you an individualized plan based upon your races, but most of your contact with them is through their members only web site.  I think you can call them from time to time too, but you would need to confirm that.  If you are doing a race that a lot of the members are doing there will be a pretty active group for that race where training is discussed among those members.  I think the coaches monitor that too and chime in.  I'm not 100% sure b/c the race I used them for did not have a group.  I liked the training plan, but if I ever go the coach route again it will not be with EN.  It just didn't click with me.  

2015-10-22 11:36 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Pet pictures!!!  

Brisket!

puddies!

I can tell that Gunnar and Brisket are both meanies!  I like Gunnar's portrait too!

I'll see what I can do tomorrow.  

2015-10-22 12:02 PM

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Pet pictures!!!  

Brisket is a total killer!  

She's sooooo vicious that she knocked herself over last night... we have friends staying with us that are doing the Ragnar race in the Hill Country, and she was so excited to meet new people that she started wagging her little nub of a tail, which turned into the full-on butt waggle, and she waggled her butt so hard that she fell over... and I almost peed myself from laughing at her!  

2015-10-22 12:04 PM

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Regarding coaching --

So....

EN is really not a hands on coaching experience.  There are 2 coaches and they do give you an individualized plan based upon your races, but most of your contact with them is through their members only web site.  I think you can call them from time to time too, but you would need to confirm that.  If you are doing a race that a lot of the members are doing there will be a pretty active group for that race where training is discussed among those members.  I think the coaches monitor that too and chime in.  I'm not 100% sure b/c the race I used them for did not have a group.  I liked the training plan, but if I ever go the coach route again it will not be with EN.  It just didn't click with me.  

I've always wondered that about EN...  I have a few friends that are coaches, but I've never taken them up on their offers of coaching (1) because I'm too cheap; (2) because I don't want to potentially mix work & friendship; and (3) because I don't really feel like I'm "good enough" to warrant having a coach, which I know is dumb because one of the reasons to have a coach is to get better.  My brain hates me.  

2015-10-22 12:38 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by melbo55

Mary (laffinrock) said to tell the Pod hi.  She's still on reading restrictions and feels quite ill if she looks at a computer/screen/reads.  Oddly, she said, eye restrictions are what they are mainly focusing on right now, she's allowed light physical activity and has been doing yard work and went for a short run.  Unfortunately, her doctor told her it may take months for the eye issues to resolve.  Let's hope it doesn't take that long!  Send her some inspires and love if you get the chance - she can get Alex to read them if necessary.

Hi Mary! So sorry you're having to go through all of this. Continued prayers your way for a quick recovery.
2015-10-22 12:42 PM

User image

Katy, Texas

Regarding coaching --

So....

Just going off of my perception here, but it seems like the thing you like the most about your current coach is the close relationship and that she knows "you." It also appears to me that you've gained enough knowledge through being coached and doing all of the training that you know what to do.

With those two things in mind, I don't think I'd go for a mass quantity coaching company. I think you should either get another coach that operates similar to your current coach, or go to self coached.

Did you ask your current coach about her mentoring you, maybe just buying her a SBUX 2-3 times a year to go over your race schedule and base/build blocks?

2015-10-22 12:43 PM

User image

Katy, Texas
]

Fluffy McFlufferson!!
2015-10-22 1:17 PM
in reply to: Jet Black

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Originally posted by Jet Black

Regarding coaching --

So....

Just going off of my perception here, but it seems like the thing you like the most about your current coach is the close relationship and that she knows "you." It also appears to me that you've gained enough knowledge through being coached and doing all of the training that you know what to do. With those two things in mind, I don't think I'd go for a mass quantity coaching company. I think you should either get another coach that operates similar to your current coach, or go to self coached. Did you ask your current coach about her mentoring you, maybe just buying her a SBUX 2-3 times a year to go over your race schedule and base/build blocks?

I was kind of thinking along these same lines and ended up somewhere in the middle.  Several years ago I went through the same situation of coaching or not.  I knew a very good coach in the area that I had raced and trained with over the years.  He coaches some of my other friends.  I felt like I had amassed enough knowledge and took a plan that I modified for me.  I then met with him on a monthly basis to go over my goals, progress, workplan, issues, questions. etc.  It worked out very well with him working more as a consultant than a coach. 

2015-10-22 2:08 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Regarding coaching --

So....

Thanks for the input!  Much appreciated!

2015-10-22 2:11 PM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Seattle

My race on Saturday was awesome. I am excited to share some of the strategical details.

Life has been incredibly busy, but in a good way! I am constantly on my toes with prioritizing running! J and I are headed to Iceland the beginning of November, which I just realized is really only a week and a half away! Story of my life lately!

Anyway, hoping to get a RR done at some point because I do really want to share. I just need to figure out how to get another hour in the day  

2015-10-22 2:11 PM
in reply to: Jet Black

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Jet Black

Regarding coaching --

So....

Just going off of my perception here, but it seems like the thing you like the most about your current coach is the close relationship and that she knows "you." It also appears to me that you've gained enough knowledge through being coached and doing all of the training that you know what to do. With those two things in mind, I don't think I'd go for a mass quantity coaching company. I think you should either get another coach that operates similar to your current coach, or go to self coached. Did you ask your current coach about her mentoring you, maybe just buying her a SBUX 2-3 times a year to go over your race schedule and base/build blocks?

Thanks Sean! She did say that she would do some mentoring but I'll need to see what that works out to mean exactly.

2015-10-22 2:16 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Racing Manatees!!!

October 24-25
Janyne - Tuna Run 200 on Friday and Saturday
Sean - Houston Half Marathon on Sunday
Ann-Marie - Cocoa Beach half marathon on Sunday

Disabled List
Mary - post-concussion syndrome (on restriction until the end of October at least)
Monica - under the weather

2015-10-22 2:23 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
Originally posted by Asalzwed

My race on Saturday was awesome. I am excited to share some of the strategical details.

Life has been incredibly busy, but in a good way! I am constantly on my toes with prioritizing running! J and I are headed to Iceland the beginning of November, which I just realized is really only a week and a half away! Story of my life lately!

Anyway, hoping to get a RR done at some point because I do really want to share. I just need to figure out how to get another hour in the day  

Glad you had a great race, Adrienne! And Iceland, that sounds so exciting!! Can't wait for those pictures.
2015-10-22 2:35 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Racing Manatees!!!

October 24-25
Janyne - Tuna Run 200 on Friday and Saturday
Sean - Houston Half Marathon on Sunday
Ann-Marie - Cocoa Beach half marathon on Sunday

Disabled List
Mary - post-concussion syndrome (on restriction until the end of October at least)
Monica - under the weather

GO RACERS GO!!

Heal up Mary and Monica!

I am racing a HM Sunday, but yesterday I switched to the Lighthouse Loop HM.  Cocoa Beach is in its first year and based upon the emails they sent out the last couple of weeks and what seemed to be some serious logistical issues that they were going to encounter, I decided to bail on them and run a race I've heard good things about.  It may be that the race goes off without a hitch and I spent extra money for no reason, but I (and others) didn't want to take that chance.  I've never bailed on a race like that before, it's weird!  Anyone else ever done it?

I am a little disappointed that I won't be getting the really cool finishers medal!

2015-10-22 2:36 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by Asalzwed

Glad you had an awesome race!  Iceland is on my list of places I want to visit - have a great time!!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatees 2015.4 CLOSED (or Poptart/pet pic ticket) Rss Feed  

of 60

RELATED POSTS

Mad Manatees 2015.3 CLOSED (or Poptarts? Pet pics?) Pages: 1 ... 101 102 103 104

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 55613 Posts: 2576

2015-10-10 12:52 AM IndoIronYanti

Manatee Mentors 2015.2 CLOSED (Poptarts? Pet pics?) Pages: 1 ... 104 105 106 107

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 68421 Posts: 2660

2015-05-20 9:51 AM IndoIronYanti

Ryan Mac’s HIM Focus Group - CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26

Started by Ryan Mac
Views: 29157 Posts: 639

2015-06-15 3:22 PM Ryan Mac

TZCoaching tri getting started group! - CLOSED Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by tzcoaching
Views: 12300 Posts: 98

2015-03-01 12:25 PM tzcoaching

Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 67908 Posts: 2498

2015-02-23 11:27 AM IndoIronYanti
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 29, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.

date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.