BT Development Mentor Program Archives » 2018 Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Always Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 44

2018-02-03 11:49 AM
in reply to: Yakhead

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Subject: RE: 2018 Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Always Open
Originally posted by Yakhead

Is this group still open? I like beer! If it is I would like to join and give my bio then.

We are always open! Write up a bio so we can get to know you, and welcome!

2018-02-03 11:52 AM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Eric, I think I can look you up by your email. Either share it in here or send me a PM with it, or you can look me up ([email protected]). If anyone else has a fitbit, add me, please! We can get a BDAS step competition going!

Went to masters practice this morning. I was dumb and decided to try to flip turn. It was fine until we started doing faster sets and I forgot to not snap my legs as I turned, so my knee started to get sore. I got out with about 40 minutes left. It was a good workout though and it felt good most of the time. It's a two hour practice so I still got plenty in
2018-02-03 2:09 PM

User image

NAME: Ian

STORY: I am 43, I have always wanted to do something like an ironman (a dream). 9 years ago I quit smoking, then signed up for a 150 mile bike ride for 2 people I know who have MS, and fell in love with biking. Did the MS ride 1 more time. I was starting to train for some sprints but family life got in the way. I have never liked running that is my downfall, but this year I hope to learn to love it. I like to swim but I am not very good at it. I think I may have been in this group many years ago, but dropped off the face of the earth with family life. I bought a great new bike last year, and a treadmill for the basement for days it is cold (Minnesota so 6 months out of the year)

FAMILY STATUS: Almost Divorced, 2 kids (14,11) , My one son (14) is a great swimmer and my other son (11) is a good basketball player and good rock climber, GF supports me doing this as long as I do it!!!

CURRENT TRAINING: Starting from step one on everything.

2017 RACES:Drank beer and got fat.

RACES PLANNED FOR 18: Earth Day 5k, MS 150 bike ride, maybe a triathlon sprint in the fall, Twin Cities 10k or half in OCT.

BEER PREFERENCE: IPA's, I make beer, I know its bad - Coors Light

WEIGHT LOSS:I currently weigh 235 and would like to get under 200, goal is 190-180. I plan to eat a lot healthier, but not give up all the beer.

I hope to be a good Mentee- I need to start on my goals no more excuses.

Ian
2018-02-04 6:55 AM
in reply to: #5237003

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Welcome, Ian!!

I’m having an off weekend. I came up to visit the folks and help out this weekend, but I brought my running gear to get one in yesterday. Well—their pillows had something to say about that. I slept funny on Friday night and really couldn’t turn my head well yesterday morning. I didn’t want to be out on the back roads they live on, where people aren’t used to runners, without being able to turn my head and see what’s coming. No problem—I’ll just do it Sunday. Spent all night puking up dinner. If it ain’t one thing, it is another!
2018-02-04 8:00 AM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Welcome, Ian!  I think you'll find plenty of motivation and support here, and maybe even some knowledge.  

Tour Sufferlandria Stage 2 done.  That just sucked.  Lots of all-out sprints followed by low-cadence hill grinds.  As I was suffering, I felt the BDAS team pull me along thinking about that CLP if I failed.

Enjoyed a couple of Oliver Brewing Company 206 IPAs with lunch afterwards, and a bacon cheeseburger.

Rest day today for ToS due to scheduling, but I'll get in a little treadmill and core work at some point today.

2018-02-04 9:48 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Welcome, Ian! We are definitely a super supportive group! Anytime you have questions, do not hesitate to ask. More than likely, we have asked the same questions ourselves!

I am starting a sugar detox tomorrow. I can't remember if I told you guys about this already, so if I did I apologize. It will be interesting. From what I understand, I will go through withdrawal, have headaches, get moody, etc for the first few days but after that I will feel good and won't be craving crappy food. This is coming just in time for my upcoming Puerto Rico trip (rescheduled from New Years).

2018-02-04 10:35 AM
in reply to: #5237040

User image

Thanks for the welcome, i am starting my couch to 5 k tomorrow and ride bike on days in between. I am starting tomorrow after the super bowl. Cheap beer and wings then get on track.
2018-02-05 9:59 AM

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

Welcome Ian, any particular IPA's you enjoy? On Sunday I had Firestone's "Luponic Distortion #008", a hoppy ale (not quite a full IPA) with each batch number they use a different blend of hops. 

This weekend I went for a 15 mile bike ride which reminded me I need to spend more time in the saddle before Wildflower. My short weekday rides will not be enough to get my legs ready. Sunday I went for a long 12 mile run to burn calories before an afternoon of over eating and football. Still feeling sluggish from a few beers too many.

2018-02-05 2:38 PM
in reply to: MOlsen

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Started my sugar detox today. I have a slight headache and am definitely craving sweets.

Forgot to wear my knee brace today. I guess that's a good sign, since I didn't even realize I forgot it until almost lunchtime, which means it didn't bother me once on my 30 minute walk to work.

Heading to masters practice tonight then going to watch my volleyball team hopefully win the championship. It's going to be a long day.
2018-02-05 3:37 PM

User image

Nicole, I just finished a similar program...wasn't officially called a sugar detox but two weeks of minimal carbs, no alcohol, no sugar. Tends to jumpstart my weight loss and does also have the benefit of pretty much eliminating sugar cravings. I'm not a huge eater of sugar anyways--just not something I love and it doesn't digest well for me--and when I'm eating it regularly it's just a good sign that I'm not taking care of myself in general. Other than being a tad grumpy at night when I'm eyeing that six pack in the fridge or the open bottle of wine, it's not bad. I find I sleep MUCH better and generally feel better.

Gretchen, had to laugh at the rage yoga. It does sound sort of contradictory!

Welcome, Ian!!!

Hope everyone had a good weekend and are getting ready for a productive week!

Sandi
2018-02-06 7:31 AM
in reply to: sandishr

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Nicole--sugar detox is no joke! I've done a couple Whole30 cycles, and the sugar is the worst part of the whole deal. I tend to get something akin to a hangover for a day or two that starts on the second or third day. It sucks, and probably isn't helped by the fact that when I know I'm going to do a Whole 30, I binge on all the good stuff before.

One more off color day yesterday, but feeling better by the afternoon, so I hit the gym this morning. 30' on the spin bike followed by 20' of strength training. I tried the new machines upstairs today. They sucked. I'm going back downstairs to my old, slightly worn out machines.

2018-02-06 8:18 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Sandi and Gretchen, it is good to get feedback from people who have done this before! I've heard similar horror stories for these first few days. Had a slight headache yesterday and I'm expecting that to get worse. Also felt really weak on my walk to work this morning. Probably a combination of going to bed late last night, having a tough swim practice yesterday and not eating many carbs. Going to look at what I ate yesterday and make sure I'm taking in enough calories too.

Masters practice was good last night. I felt really strong and was beating the times my coach gave me. We started off with some drills and 50s of free for wu, then did 17 75s on 1:30 hitting 1:08 (I was hitting 1:05 pretty consistently). If you missed your time you sat out one but none of us missed. Then we did 14 25s on 35 seconds hitting 21 (was hitting 19). I find it's a good sign that I'm faster than he thinks I should be. Think I need to do another time trial, as much as I dislike them haha.

Went to watch my vball team play last night and they won the championship! I was bummed I couldn't play with them but am glad I could be there to cheer them on (without missing swimming). Knee is feeling really good though so I hope to be back in a week or so!
2018-02-06 8:52 AM
in reply to: #5237054

User image

No particular IPA’s I favor, Surly Todd the Axeman, I have been drinking lately when found on tap here in Minnesota.I like the citrusy IPA’s lately. I am lucky to have 3 really good small breweries that make really good IPA’s within 10 minutes from my house. I am northwest of Minneapolis so close enough to the big city but far enough away.
Started my couch to 5k this morning at 5:40 am, I tried to get out of bed by 5am but it is a slow process, I am not a morning person. But plan to become one since I work at 7:30 and it is easier than in the evening. I bike on the trainer tomorrow.
2018-02-06 10:23 AM

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

Having good local breweries is always a plus! In my area there are some excellent, some so-so, and some that I'm surprised they are still in business. Likewise I really enjoy the bright and citrusy IPA's where you can taste the hops but not be overpowered by them.

Last night I swam for 1100m, working my way up to 1500+ with a 100m increase each week. The strength is returning in my arms and I'm getting back into the groove. This morning I opted for a short 2 mile run, as my legs are still a bit sore from my long run on Sunday.

2018-02-06 1:20 PM

User image

Nicole, the weakness happens to me here and there as well. For me it's a sign that I'm not getting enough carbs for my activity level (it really only happens when I'm being active...I am never at my desk typing and feeling woozy). If I'm trying to be more active then I do intentionally alter the diet...last Wednesday during my run I could tell my form was going because I just didn't feel strong. I was struggling not because it was hard, but because I just didn't have the fuel. So I bought a fairly beloved loaf of whole grain bread and had a slice either morning or night depending upon the day's diet and planned activities. I'm eating carbs now--whole grain--so hopefully that phase is behind me. I don't get the sugar headaches, but I also don't eat much sugar normally.

Sandi
2018-02-06 8:21 PM
in reply to: sandishr

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Hi Ian, welcome to the group. Look forward to seeing your progress.

I've managed to string a bit of consistency together over the last few days, been for a run 5 out of the last 6 days. So making progress with the frequency of workouts. Now the trick is to string a few good weeks together.

This Monday I had the day off work, so I took the little man out for his first run in the jogging stroller. He seemed to enjoy it, but man, pushing a stroller is tough... I would guess 45-60sec/km slower than a normal run. Still, that can only make for a better workout...

Hope everyone is having a good, productive week.

2018-02-07 8:02 AM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
30' of running at the gym on the indoor track due to the ice we received yesterday. I'm still doing 60"/90" run/walk intervals. Funny thing is, I'm running my miles about one minute faster than I was before I got injured. I've always been an interval person, but I was doing 5'/1' intervals. I'm still turtle slow, but now maybe I'm a box turtle instead of a tortoise.

My arms are very sore from yesterday's strength training! I kinda forgot how good that feels (until you have to try to scrape 1/4" of ice off your windshield!).
2018-02-07 9:59 AM
in reply to: #5237250

User image

I was wondering about food and diet, since alot if people have had good success with weight loss, Paleo, vegetarians, keto, my fitness pal or other apps, ect., i am wondering what worked for you? I was thinking of whole 30 for 30 days but like breads and beer.
2018-02-07 11:01 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
I did Whole30 twice last year and was successful (down 20lbs first time, 10 second time--a few of those might have been repeat customers!). It works, but it is a whole lot of work!! You have to plan and be prepared for everything. This time around, I've tried to be slightly sensible about it, with a basic 6 day on, one day off plan so I can have date night and not feel deprived. That worked for a couple of weeks, but I let it go for the past week. I really feel much better when I'm doing the Whole 30, but like you said, I like bread and beer.
2018-02-07 6:44 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island

I was wondering about food and diet, since alot if people have had good success with weight loss, Paleo, vegetarians, keto, my fitness pal or other apps, ect., i am wondering what worked for you? I was thinking of whole 30 for 30 days but like breads and beer.

I've lost plenty of weight over the years, probably over 150-200lbs in total. Unfortunately it's been the same weight gained and lost several times. So I do have some experience with how to lose... just don't ask me how to keep it off

Anyhow, my experience with weight loss is that it really doesn't matter what 'fad' diet you choose to use. If you stick to it they all achieve the same thing which is a large reduction in the calories you eat, and at the end of the day calories in minus calories out is the formula for weight loss.

So go with what you think will be sustainable for you. If you like bread and beer, trying to stick to a diet where you can't have any is going to be tough, so more likely you cheat and wont lose.

Personally these days I use the Myfitnesspal app, and just try to eat a good, balanced diet with sensible portions. When I am focused, and consistently meet my calorie goal I lose weight. When I'm not focused and fall off the rails on the weekend, I don't.

But in the past I've also dropped weight with the south beach diet, and IF, so in no way am I saying MFP is the only option. Just I've had some success with it.

Just don't go vegetarian... if god wanted us to be vegetarian there would be a steak tree... haha
2018-02-08 12:39 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan

I started using MyFitnessPal in June and lost 26 pounds. It works for me because no food/drink is forbidden, I just make sure I don’t overdo it (or plan an extra run if I do).

Now I am happy with my weight and I am still using the app to make sure I don’t put it back on (so far, I haven’t but it’s only been 2 months)

2018-02-08 7:48 AM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Another 12F morning, another spin at the gym. 35' increasing resistance until the knob wouldn't stay tight anymore (annoying), then worked my way back down to starting resistance and finished out with some high cadence work. A little strength training after that, but very unfocused. This is my first day back in my normal weight room at the gym and they moved everything around. I couldn't find some of my favorite machines. Guess it is time for a gym scavenger hunt!
2018-02-08 8:14 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
I do not typically do things where I can't eat foods, but this is kind of a kick start. Over the next 4 weeks I will add foods back in slowly so by week 4 it is basically the maintenance week, aka how I should be eating normally. It's less about a diet and more about changing my lifestyle, with preparation, like Gretchen said, because for me that is a big part of eating well and feeling good. If I don't prepare I will eat whatever food is convenient.

Day 4 of my sugar detox. I CAN EAT AN APPLE TODAY! I've honestly never been so excited to eat an apple. I cut it into slices so I will spread it out over the day, whenever I need a sweet treat. I'm feeling surprisingly good. Haven't really had any headaches, although I go through bits of seriously craving anything sweet. Mostly I'm just really tired and dragging in the afternoon. I'm sleeping really well, so that has been nice. I'm also down 5 lbs or so, but that was probably mostly inflammation and my system cleansing itself from the horrible weekend of drinking and eating crap (I binged a bit knowing I was doing this detox).

Hope everyone has a great Thursday!
2018-02-08 11:02 AM

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

This morning I had a late start so was only able to get in a 2 mile run before work. Last night was another 1100m in the pool, still feeling good there as I slowly ramp up the distance.

Diet wise, I gained about 15 pounds last year by not exercising as much and not really watching what I'm eating. This year I'm back to (nearly) daily exercise and keeping an eye on my food intake. The main change was getting back to making my own lunch instead of going out each day. My new job is close to a lot of food choices and I feel into that trap quickly. It's slow but steady progress.

2018-02-09 12:22 PM
in reply to: MOlsen

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Originally posted by MOlsen

This morning I had a late start so was only able to get in a 2 mile run before work. Last night was another 1100m in the pool, still feeling good there as I slowly ramp up the distance.

Two miles is better than no miles! Good job getting it done!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » 2018 Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Always Open Rss Feed  

of 44

RELATED POSTS

Manatees - 2018 Edition Now CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 111 112 113 114

Started by cdban66
Views: 55682 Posts: 2836

2018-12-31 6:06 PM cdban66

BE the BALL Group - OPEN Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by billeckert
Views: 14615 Posts: 180

2018-07-16 8:27 PM scottjjmtri99

Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete - Always OPEN Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29

Started by k9car363