BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN Mentor Group-"Off Season?" What is that?!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 383

2009-06-21 9:24 PM
in reply to: #2232665

User image

Champion
marietta
Subject: RE: SWBKRUN Mentor Group-Closed! TIME TO TRAIN!
dalessit - 2009-06-21 9:22 PM Is that a pic of you in your tri suit?

you should see me from the front!

2009-06-21 9:39 PM
in reply to: #2232667

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
fattyfatfat - 2009-06-21 10:24 PM

/shudder....
2009-06-21 9:46 PM
in reply to: #2232667

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

fattyfatfat - 2009-06-21 9:24 PM

In the immortal words of Bill the Cat - aacckkk....

2009-06-22 7:04 AM
in reply to: #2232730

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
ugh, think I might be burnt out either mentally or physically, can't tell yet.  I think I am going to take this week off, or at least a few days.

Ever since I got back from Mooseman my workouts have been pretty sad.  I finish them, but usually don't feel good, seems like I am using a lot of energy even for the easy workouts.

Pretty much bonked on every run since I got back, get dizzy on the run and feel like I didn't eat enough even though been doing same things I have always done.

Anyone else get like this?
2009-06-22 8:12 AM
in reply to: #2233186

User image

Champion
marietta
dalessit - 2009-06-22 7:04 AM ugh, think I might be burnt out either mentally or physically, can't tell yet.  I think I am going to take this week off, or at least a few days.

Ever since I got back from Mooseman my workouts have been pretty sad.  I finish them, but usually don't feel good, seems like I am using a lot of energy even for the easy workouts.

Pretty much bonked on every run since I got back, get dizzy on the run and feel like I didn't eat enough even though been doing same things I have always done.

Anyone else get like this?

I think we all do at some point.  But its funny though,  right before I read your post I was thinking about how my training is kinda calming down now and that sucks a little bit.  I know I need the rest, and I really know the family could use me around a bit more but...

Seems like a couple days off my be in order for you.  You aren't going to pick up much for the race this weekend so a few days off followed by a couple easy days, nothing Saturday,  then kill it Sunday at Montclair. 

btw for being "bored" in the water you sure are quick.
2009-06-22 8:17 AM
in reply to: #2071255

User image

John,  I love the card, but better the signatures!

I can't meet you guys at B2B this year, I'll be in FL that weekend.........but I would meet you in TX in April.
What a hoot that would be!

2009-06-22 8:33 AM

User image

Elite
Raleigh
Found my Kryptonite. My parent are in town for the weekend. They wanted to go out for Chinese fodd for Father's Day. I have not eaten that for over a year. We went to a place our neighbors recommended. It turned out to be totally mediocre. This AM I got up to swim and felt sapped. I struggled through 1000 of my planned 2000 yds. I got out of the water and said HTFU.

I got on my running gear and ran a slow 3.13 miles. I farted the whole way! I do not see me eating Chinese food again for some time. Apparently it draws away all my strength.

2009-06-22 8:57 AM
in reply to: #2233380

User image

Expert
Auburn AL
DougRob - 2009-06-22 8:33 AM Found my Kryptonite. My parent are in town for the weekend. They wanted to go out for Chinese fodd for Father's Day. I have not eaten that for over a year. We went to a place our neighbors recommended. It turned out to be totally mediocre. This AM I got up to swim and felt sapped. I struggled through 1000 of my planned 2000 yds. I got out of the water and said HTFU.

I got on my running gear and ran a slow 3.13 miles. I farted the whole way! I do not see me eating Chinese food again for some time. Apparently it draws away all my strength.

Don't you hate that feeling.  Although it might be a good strategy for a race.  No drafting!
2009-06-22 9:05 AM

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
2009-06-22 9:56 AM

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina

I don't think I'll be able to do the Texas race next year.  Cry I'm so bumbed!!  That is one week out from my HIM and the hubby wants to try it next year as well.  If any of you are interested in forming a team for B2B I am renting a beach house.  Granted a beach house in November is not nearly as cool as April in Texas, but the rates are off season so they are very cheap.  Let me know if you are interested .  Chet, if you need to escape the sister's house you are welcome!

Suzy - I'll take your "easy practice races" for my A game any day!!   Way to go girl.  If you are looking for a challenging course with some hills, check out the Savageman!  Either the International or the Half. Either will test your womanhood.  I did it last year and will back to punish myself again. Tony and his wife road some of the course and said it was "quite a challenge" as well.  http://www.savagemantri.org/index.htm  Below is the bike profile for the international.

Rob - my hero.   You did such a great job. Hold your head high.  Besides, the BOP is where all the cool people and myself hang out.  More beer back there. Wink

(bike_profile_intl.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
bike_profile_intl.jpg (20KB - 13 downloads)
2009-06-22 10:38 AM

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
Andy - love the avatar.

Tony-- Take a few days off!! We all talk about  taking some time off to let our bodies heal physically, but we never talk about taking a mental break. Training every day is hard work. Sometimes you need to kick back and relax! We put ourselves through alot for this.

Chet-- getting back to your post from a few pages ago(I know...I was 5 pages behind so unlike me). But great story and inspiration. I have met a bunch of people in my short tri career that are doing this for same, yet different reasons. I do it because I do not want to be the guy I was 2 years ago! Fat, unhealthy grump! I like who I am now- So does my wife and kids!

One thing I didn't mention in my RR was Infinit. I think it was Kim/Suzy/Steve who suggested  trying it. I put 2 scoops in my Aero bottle and had another bottle on water on my cage. I felt great when I finished my race. I think on the sprints I may have been over-thinking nutrition. When as for this I had breakfast, a gel on the bike, and the Infinit. Throw in some water and gatorade on the run. I felt amazing, I had a ton of energy. I don't want to give all the credit to Infinit....but i guess being smarter about nutrition helps!

Nice races Suzy and Rob......And Chris- man I'd take this 'bad' race of yours anyday! Those are great times.

Will some RR's now...Wow long post!

2009-06-22 10:53 AM
in reply to: #2233453

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

Plainsman AU - 2009-06-22 8:57 AM
DougRob - 2009-06-22 8:33 AM Found my Kryptonite. My parent are in town for the weekend. They wanted to go out for Chinese fodd for Father's Day. I have not eaten that for over a year. We went to a place our neighbors recommended. It turned out to be totally mediocre. This AM I got up to swim and felt sapped. I struggled through 1000 of my planned 2000 yds. I got out of the water and said HTFU.

Don't you hate that feeling.  Although it might be a good strategy for a race.  No drafting!

LOL - you're like our very own Larry the Cable Guy....

2009-06-22 10:54 AM
in reply to: #2233661

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

tahrens - 2009-06-22 9:56 AM

I don't think I'll be able to do the Texas race next year.  Cry I'm so bumbed!!  That is one week out from my HIM and the hubby wants to try it next year as well.  If any of you are interested in forming a team for B2B I am renting a beach house.  Granted a beach house in November is not nearly as cool as April in Texas, but the rates are off season so they are very cheap.  Let me know if you are interested .  Chet, if you need to escape the sister's house you are welcome!

Suzy - I'll take your "easy practice races" for my A game any day!!   Way to go girl.  If you are looking for a challenging course with some hills, check out the Savageman!  Either the International or the Half. Either will test your womanhood.  I did it last year and will back to punish myself again. Tony and his wife road some of the course and said it was "quite a challenge" as well.  http://www.savagemantri.org/index.htm  Below is the bike profile for the international.

Rob - my hero.   You did such a great job. Hold your head high.  Besides, the BOP is where all the cool people and myself hang out.  More beer back there. Wink

But they have a HIM distance at Galveston....  Excuse negated

2009-06-22 11:11 AM

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.

Again, I check in on Monday, and we have another podium finish!  Good Lord this doesn't seem like a "Beginner Group" at times!

Trevor- You had a great race, and sounds like you raced within' yourself!  It sucks getting passed like that on the run, but I think that more and more people with running backgrounds are getting into triathlon!  I hate it as well, but it gives you something to work on!

Rob, Rob, Rob- That is not the BT spirit.  You are well on your way to your 1/2 Ironman.  You ARE NOT supposed to be near ready for your 1/2 Ironman.  It is too early.  If you are at your peak fitness now you will totally be burned out by Sept.  It is not even July yet.  Hang in there, don't get discouraged, and remember this was a training.... 

I loved reading everyone's post on "WHY I TRI!"  That was neat to see.  It is tough to say why I "tri."  I never got into this for health reasons, or anything inspiring.  I simply started this because why wife was into it, and it was the only way to see her.  From there is just grew into a lifestyle. To me it is just part of life.

I don't think I will be road tripping anytime soon, but when you guys narrow down the dates, let me know... I can always be persuaded into a plane ride somewhere.  VERY COOL though!

I got my ride done yesterday, and YES it hailed again with thunder, lightining, and the streets we like biking up stream in Class V rapids!  Now this storm only stuck around for 10 minutes, but it really really saps the spirits!  The good news is that it was 85 miles in, so we didn't have much further to go, and while biking in it I thought to myself that the people battling cancer have it way worse than I do, so I can't complain (OH BUT I WAS!!!).  I loved the day, and if anyone has the opportunity to do a LAF ride... DO IT!  1st Class event all the way!  To all those that support me, and my fundraising efforts--- I thank you, my cancer surviving friends thank you, my family/friends that have lost people to cancer thank you!!

A Mentor told me the other day (when I expressed how it is hard because you don't feel like you can ever do enough) that you have to picture this.  Cancer is like the Sahara Desert.  Each persons fundraising efforts is like a grain of sand.  And each $ we bring in moves another grain of sand.  Which in turn is changing the desert!  Thus, changing cancer research!  That made me feel a million times better.

Thanks again!

2009-06-22 11:13 AM

User image

Elite
Raleigh
It seems like there is some real momentum for a least some portion of SWBKRUN MG to plan to be in Texas next April. I do not know yet. It is  a long way off and I do not expect to beginning planning next year until I finish this year. Heck, I have to set my goals for next year and I can't do that until I finish thise years races.

As far as B2B goes, I do not plan on doing a HIM this year. However, I could be convinced to be part of a relay. So who is already going, who is interested in going and who is interedted in being part of a relay?

Doug
2009-06-22 11:15 AM
in reply to: #2233828

User image

Expert
B'ham

Good job to everyone that raced this weekend!  Hold your head high Rob, there is a lot to be proud of finsihing an Oly - not all of us are Suzy

So apparently I'm not racing this weekend.  I thought I'd registered, but apparently did not.  I was registering on-line during a conference call (most of my meetings are that exciting) - I don't know if I got distracted and didn't hit submit or got some info wrong.  Anyway, they don't have a record of it and our bank statements don't reflect the charges. 

I guess that might is a blessing in disguise, since I can't run anyway.  I've been having issues with my foot, internet diagnosis says it's peroneal tendonitis .  The pain is along the bottom, outer part of my foot.  It's been two weeks since the onset and I'm able to walk and have even done some 'sprints' with Lily in the stroller without pain.  I attempted to run this morning and made it .29 miles before the pain returned to my foot.  I'm so FRUSTRATED right now, I never thought I'd miss running like this.  It doesn't hurt when I ride my bike, so I should be doing more of that, but not being able to run is affecting my whole motivation to train - it's like workout depression.

Has anyone ever had this injury before?  There isn't much online about rehabing this, other than rest and ice - gee thanks.  I think it's time to see a doc.

2009-06-22 11:28 AM

User image

Elite
Raleigh

I think tracy had something similar with tendonitis. Go back to the pages in the 20's. (or ask her).

Steve great ride! Thanks for doing it. Does it hail at all your events?

I used to ride the Pan Mass Challange (Google it). It is one of the most successful bike charity rides in the world. We are talking Multiple MIllions of Dollars per year for cancer research for children, and something like 97% of the money gets to the charity.

When you mentioned how you got through it, Steve, it reminded me of a little boy at a rest stop in the 90's during the PMC. He had a sign that said "Thanks I am 4  5 because of you !" That image it burned in my brain. I use it the same way you use those thoughts of the people fighting cancer.

Doug

Edited by DougRob 2009-06-22 11:29 AM
2009-06-22 11:33 AM
in reply to: #2233937

User image

Pro
cadmus - 2009-06-22 9:15 AM

Good job to everyone that raced this weekend!  Hold your head high Rob, there is a lot to be proud of finsihing an Oly - not all of us are Suzy

So apparently I'm not racing this weekend.  I thought I'd registered, but apparently did not.  I was registering on-line during a conference call (most of my meetings are that exciting) - I don't know if I got distracted and didn't hit submit or got some info wrong.  Anyway, they don't have a record of it and our bank statements don't reflect the charges. 

I guess that might is a blessing in disguise, since I can't run anyway.  I've been having issues with my foot, internet diagnosis says it's peroneal tendonitis .  The pain is along the bottom, outer part of my foot.  It's been two weeks since the onset and I'm able to walk and have even done some 'sprints' with Lily in the stroller without pain.  I attempted to run this morning and made it .29 miles before the pain returned to my foot.  I'm so FRUSTRATED right now, I never thought I'd miss running like this.  It doesn't hurt when I ride my bike, so I should be doing more of that, but not being able to run is affecting my whole motivation to train - it's like workout depression.

Has anyone ever had this injury before?  There isn't much online about rehabing this, other than rest and ice - gee thanks.  I think it's time to see a doc.

Sucks about the race... On the injury front, why don't you just go to a doctor or therapist instead of using the internet.  You will recover a whole lot quicker.  My 2cents
2009-06-22 11:35 AM

User image

Elite
Raleigh

One more thing. I did not realize about the fund-raising aspect of Steve's ride as I joined the group late. However, it turns out (surprise) that they are still accepting donations! So Steve, I made one in order to try and bring your numbers to a nice round number. But, I bet if anyone else wanted to donate and had not done so yet, no one would be upset if the numbers were not round anymore Laughing

Doug

2009-06-22 11:49 AM
in reply to: #2234005

User image

Pro
DougRob - 2009-06-22 9:35 AM

One more thing. I did not realize about the fund-raising aspect of Steve's ride as I joined the group late. However, it turns out (surprise) that they are still accepting donations! So Steve, I made one in order to try and bring your numbers to a nice round number. But, I bet if anyone else wanted to donate and had not done so yet, no one would be upset if the numbers were not round anymore Laughing

Doug

Thanks!  I really appreciate it.  I went to a dinner Saturday night for my fundraising efforts, and they said out of the 2500 participants 39 had made it to the dinner for their fundraising efforts.  Out of the $1 million plus these 39 people raised over $250k... Thanks all to you guys!
2009-06-22 12:04 PM
in reply to: #2233937

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
cadmus - 2009-06-22 12:15 PM

I had that. I agree go to the doctor and have it confirmed, but the symptoms sound exactly the same.  I too stayed off of it for 2 weeks with lots of ice.  Then did the HIM and even though I walked half the run the foot was okay.   Have you been ramping up your milage too quickly?  Are the shoes okay?  I loosened my laces and that helped quite a bit as well.    Swimming and biking on it were fine so I did that.  Hang in there and keep us posted. 

Steve, beautiful.    I participate in a LAF ride through my LBS every year.  Last year I raised $1000 and did the 60mile ride.   This year they've added a 15 mile loop for beginners and I decided to ride that with my 8year old.  I thought it was a safe way to teach her group riding and a lesson in charity as well.

2009-06-22 12:15 PM
in reply to: #2233661

User image

Master
Silverton, Oregon
tahrens - 2009-06-22 7:56 AM

x2!!! Plus, the view is great back here!
2009-06-22 12:18 PM
in reply to: #2234160

User image

Champion
marietta
roni_runnw - 2009-06-22 12:15 PM
tahrens - 2009-06-22 7:56 AM

x2!!! Plus, the view is great back here!

x3. 
2009-06-22 12:19 PM

User image

Champion
marietta
nothing to see here
2009-06-22 12:19 PM

User image

Champion
marietta
Sorry but I couldn't resist!

nope.  got it right.  39.5 / day or every 36 minutes.  btw i'm eating leftover pasta salad out of a ziplock bag listening to Woody Guthrie.  It seems I should be walking down the tracks in my sock and shorts waiting to hop a train to Georgia.  hmmmm.

SWBKRUN MG POST # 3000

Edited by fattyfatfat 2009-06-22 12:32 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN Mentor Group-"Off Season?" What is that?!! Rss Feed  

of 383