General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 171

2011-06-10 1:11 PM
in reply to: #3006331

User image

Master
Millersville, MD
Subject: RE: Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread

Sorry for my silence/absence... was away on vacation and minimized my connection to electronics while I was there.  I did notice one or two questions sent my way and have responded via inspire.  It's not likely I'll be at CdA at this point, because I'm teaching a class through the 24th so would have to fly out on Saturday.  But I'll be wishing you all luck and watching on-line.  In fact, I plan to volunteer to run the CdA-live thread on BT where I'll update a spreadsheet and virtually cheer you all on.

If I may be so blunt, I've seen some serious taper insanity going on here... and I mean that in a bad way... in violation of the number one rule which is to avoid getting hurt/sick at this point.  Here I am demonstrating the type of stupid thing you should not do during taper (but I'm not racing in 3 weeks so this was just stupid if my goal had been not to knock the wind out of myself)...

http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/253446_230110003681779_100000483421979_958716_2305013_n.jpg

Stay safe and make good decisions in these next few weeks, people.  Don't gain a bunch of weight by continuing to eat like you're putting in 20 hours of training.  Don't use your spare time to dig out a stump in your backyard and strain your back.  Don't PR your long runs.  Don't drink too much in negatively impact your recovery.  DO give some of your free time back to your relationships in a safe/conservative way.  Do mentally rehearse things so you can toe the line an optimist on race day.  Do try to enjoy your taper, however maddening it may be.  And most of all DON'T deviate from the plan now (unless it's to back off more because you feel you need it) when you're feeling like you could do more.

2011-06-10 2:30 PM
in reply to: #3542895

User image

New user
Cave Creek, Az
JoshKaptur - 2011-06-10 11:11 AM

Stay safe and make good decisions in these next few weeks, people.  Don't gain a bunch of weight by continuing to eat like you're putting in 20 hours of training.  Don't use your spare time to dig out a stump in your backyard and strain your back.  Don't PR your long runs.  Don't drink too much in negatively impact your recovery.  DO give some of your free time back to your relationships in a safe/conservative way.  Do mentally rehearse things so you can toe the line an optimist on race day.  Do try to enjoy your taper, however maddening it may be.  And most of all DON'T deviate from the plan now (unless it's to back off more because you feel you need it) when you're feeling like you could do more.

Don't deviate from the plan is right!  I found out the only think more ferocious than us Honey Badgers is the Honey Badger Coach!

2011-06-10 3:02 PM

User image

Champion
NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete
JoshKaptur - 2011-06-10 1:11 PM

Sorry for my silence/absence... was away on vacation and minimized my connection to electronics while I was there.  I did notice one or two questions sent my way and have responded via inspire.  It's not likely I'll be at CdA at this point, because I'm teaching a class through the 24th so would have to fly out on Saturday.  But I'll be wishing you all luck and watching on-line.  In fact, I plan to volunteer to run the CdA-live thread on BT where I'll update a spreadsheet and virtually cheer you all on.

If I may be so blunt, I've seen some serious taper insanity going on here... and I mean that in a bad way... in violation of the number one rule which is to avoid getting hurt/sick at this point.  Here I am demonstrating the type of stupid thing you should not do during taper (but I'm not racing in 3 weeks so this was just stupid if my goal had been not to knock the wind out of myself)...

Thanks for the words of wisdom and encouragement!

I will be carrying a myathletelive gps.  Mike Aldrich is my real name if anyone wants to follow.

2011-06-10 4:29 PM

User image

Veteran
Dallas
JoshKaptur - 2011-06-10 1:11 PM

If I may be so blunt, I've seen some serious taper insanity going on here... and I mean that in a bad way... in violation of the number one rule which is to avoid getting hurt/sick at this point. You expect anything different from this group? 

Don't gain a bunch of weight by continuing to eat like you're putting in 20 hours of training.  Check.  Up 4 pounds this week.   

Don't use your spare time to dig out a stump in your backyard and strain your back.   Check.  No stumps, but did move 16 pieces of cast iron furniture and tweaked my back on my day off.     

Don't PR your long runs.  Check.  Came close. 

Don't drink too much in negatively impact your recovery.  Check.  Have hit the beer a bit hard over the last week as a peak week celebration.   

Do give some of your free time back to your relationships in a safe/conservative way.  Check.  Done this too....which is a good thing.     

Do mentally rehearse things so you can toe the line an optimist on race day.  Check.  But will admit that doubts are creeping in daily.   

Do try to enjoy your taper, however maddening it may be.  Check.  See above.  Madness starting to build.    

And most of all DON'T deviate from the plan now (unless it's to back off more because you feel you need it) when you're feeling like you could do more.  Check.  No new plans thus far....another good thing.   

Thanks for the tips.  I had my peak week exit interview with my coach and she gave me fairly good marks given my lack of structure and smarts.  Also some race tips (she did CdA a few years ago) and an overall strategy to memorize and study.   

2011-06-10 4:43 PM

User image

Nor*Cal
Found my new CDA motivation song!

Alter Bridge - Coer d'Alene

15 more days!

-ak-
2011-06-10 4:43 PM
in reply to: #3543093

User image

Veteran
Clarksvile

I will be carrying a myathletelive gps.  Mike Aldrich is my real name if anyone wants to follow.

I just rented a myathletelive gps.  I think it will be worth it.

2011-06-10 5:50 PM
in reply to: #3541602

User image

Master
Vista, CA
nerdjock - 2011-06-09 3:16 PM
TriRSquared - 2011-06-09 1:55 PM

15step - 2011-06-09 4:32 PM I just made my reservation through tribiketransport.com. $335, blegh... Someone tell me this route is far cheaper/easier than flying the bike out myself?

$335?  I'm farther than you and I paid $250 3 months ago.  Is there a "late" fee maybe?

I paid $300 a couple of months ago to ship from San Diego.  Ease of mind = totally worth the cash.

Also paid $300 from San Diego area, plus $35 for gear bag.

By the way, what all are you putting in your gear bags? So far I have:

bottles
Co2
pump?
pedals
towel (a big one I won't have to pack in suitcase)
powdered drink mix stuff
extra hat
bike gloves

What am I missing that's kinda bulky and harder to fit in suitcase? I need my bike shoes for the couple of rides I'll do after dropping my bike off.

Thanks.
2011-06-10 6:33 PM
in reply to: #3543269

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California
lmscozz - 2011-06-10 3:50 PM 

bottles
Co2
pump?
pedals
powdered drink mix stuff
extra hat
bike gloves

What am I missing that's kinda bulky and harder to fit in suitcase? I need my bike shoes for the couple of rides I'll do after dropping my bike off.

Thanks.

Don't forget the pedal wrench; I would definitely bring a floor pump also.  
2011-06-10 6:41 PM

User image

Expert
Kansas City, MO
I am going to go with bib #1200, as for tribiketransport I paid $290- on December 16, 2010 from Kansas City, Missouri.
Also, I just realized I have to give my bike up next week for tribiketransport (06/17/11), that totally gave me a chill down my spine.....   Basically one week of biking left until the race.....  Yikes!  Thank god I'm a HoneyBadger and don't give a F*^k!! 
2011-06-10 6:42 PM

User image

Regular
Sunnyvale, CA

bottles
Co2
pump?
pedals
powdered drink mix stuff
extra hat
bike gloves

Thanks.

How about your helmet (unless you need it for the rides you'll be doing after dropping your bike off)?  That's a pretty bulky item, especially if it's an aero helmet.

Edited by davide 2011-06-10 6:42 PM
2011-06-10 7:25 PM

User image

Master
Newbury Park, CA
nerdjock - 2011-06-09 3:16 PM
TriRSquared - 2011-06-09 1:55 PM

15step - 2011-06-09 4:32 PM I just made my reservation through tribiketransport.com. $335, blegh... Someone tell me this route is far cheaper/easier than flying the bike out myself?

$335?  I'm farther than you and I paid $250 3 months ago.  Is there a "late" fee maybe?

I paid $300 a couple of months ago to ship from San Diego.  Ease of mind = totally worth the cash.

bottles
Co2
pump?
pedals
powdered drink mix stuff
extra hat
bike gloves

Thanks.

Wetsuit
Spare tubes
Aero Helmet
race # belt
chip belt
Cold weather riding gear

2011-06-10 7:38 PM

User image

New user
Louisville, KY
I paid for the gear bag as well. Now can I ask what exactly fits the description of gear bag? I have TYR backpack that I've been using that I could zip tie shut. Can fit wet suit, helmet, shoes, pedals, probably a couple more things. However, if the bag doesn't show up in CDA with my bike, seems like I am HB chow as far as the race goes.
2011-06-10 8:00 PM

User image

Elite
SE

I banged out another long brick 80/8 today in 94 degrees at the end of the bike in Ga. I saw plenty of road kill with fresh entrails ripe for a HB to come along and suck them to the bone. Then I went to the closest beer store and loaded down with three gallons of craft beer, and waited till 5pm (House Rules) to drink one.

After that Mrs. Slayer cooked me a double cut ribe-eye on the bone and a plate full of veggies and taters. I then hit the ice cream, new oreos, and rice krispey treats. You know why? Because I felt like it.

I want to freakin race this weekend. I am toast in Ga training long. Bring on the Summer offseason. There, I said it. After years of denying it, I will admit that there is an offseason. However, its not when you think it might be...

Saw this on twitter:

http://triathlon.competitor.com/2010/06/training/perfecting-the-ironman-taper_10355

My profession: dream crusher

2011-06-10 10:06 PM
in reply to: #3543225

Champion
No excuses!

Atak Kat - 2011-06-10 5:43 PM Found my new CDA motivation song!

Alter Bridge - Coer d'Alene

15 more days!

-ak-

Nice, loved Alter Bridge's first album

2011-06-10 10:11 PM
in reply to: #3543340

Champion
No excuses!

jamesarr - 2011-06-10 8:38 PM I paid for the gear bag as well. Now can I ask what exactly fits the description of gear bag? I have TYR backpack that I've been using that I could zip tie shut. Can fit wet suit, helmet, shoes, pedals, probably a couple more things. However, if the bag doesn't show up in CDA with my bike, seems like I am HB chow as far as the race goes.

I know on the tri bike website it says 18 by 12 by 12 and no suitcases and no backpacks with wheels so you'll be fine. I have the same bag and loaded it up tonight.

Going to be a rough week. My wife leaves on Sunday to chaperone 8th graders on an East Coast trip and I have to drive 3 hrs each way to bring my bike to the bike shop for pick up by Friday and get everything in order so the week after can go smoothly with work.

2011-06-11 7:02 AM
in reply to: #3543473

User image

New user
Louisville, KY
jamesarr - 2011-06-10 8:38 PM I paid for the gear bag as well. Now can I ask what exactly fits the description of gear bag?I have TYR backpack that I've been using that I could zip tie shut. Can fit wet suit, helmet, shoes, pedals, probably a couple more things. However, if the bag doesn't show up in CDA with my bike, seems like I am HB chow as far as the race goes.

I know on the tri bike website it says 18 by 12 by 12 and no suitcases and no backpacks with wheels so you'll be fine. I have the same bag and loaded it up tonight.

Going to be a rough week. My wife leaves on Sunday to chaperone 8th graders on an East Coast trip and I have to drive 3 hrs each way to bring my bike to the bike shop for pick up by Friday and get everything in order so the week after can go smoothly with work.

Thanks for the info. Looks like I can't put my big bag of Perpetuem in the gear bag. Probably shouldn't take the whole thing anyway.

3 hours each way, ouch. I thought I was going to have to drive my bike to Indy (2 hours each way) for drop off, luckily a place in Lexington is now on the list so that saves me almost an hour.

Thought that article on minimal tapering made sense. At least for the minimal number of hours I've been training, compared to some of the juggernauts here.

2011-06-11 7:28 AM
in reply to: #3543617

User image

Elite
SE

yeah that reminds me. airport security grabbed my new bottle of tri-slide or whatever that lubricant is for wetsuits and some other liquid type items in 09. i wrongly thought they would be fine to carry on in my tri bag. beginner mistake.

you want to pack all that stuff on your boarded luggage so you wont lose a bunch of $. 

2011-06-11 11:26 AM
in reply to: #3543340

Regular
Sarasota, FL

jamesarr - 2011-06-10 7:38 PMI paid for the gear bag as well. Now can I ask what exactly fits the description of gear bag? I have TYR backpack that I've been using that I could zip tie shut. Can fit wet suit, helmet, shoes, pedals, probably a couple more things. However, if the bag doesn't show up in CDA with my bike, seems like I am HB chow as far as the race goes.

Is the wetsuit going to be ok in truck or are there concerns with heat?

Is the TYR bag ok, mine measures a little big, or aren't they that fussy?

Thanks

Edited by PollyG 2011-06-11 11:31 AM
2011-06-11 1:01 PM
in reply to: #3543785

User image

New user
Louisville, KY
PollyG - 2011-06-11 12:26 PM

jamesarr - 2011-06-10 7:38 PMI paid for the gear bag as well. Now can I ask what exactly fits the description of gear bag? I have TYR backpack that I've been using that I could zip tie shut. Can fit wet suit, helmet, shoes, pedals, probably a couple more things. However, if the bag doesn't show up in CDA with my bike, seems like I am HB chow as far as the race goes.

Is the wetsuit going to be ok in truck or are there concerns with heat?

Is the TYR bag ok, mine measures a little big, or aren't they that fussy?

I'm starting to think the wetsuit will fly with me, just so i have it to swim in that evening or next AM for sure.

2011-06-11 1:03 PM

User image

New user
Louisville, KY
Hey, I got a little green star now! Sweet! When do I get a little HB icon? Not that I care...
2011-06-11 2:07 PM

User image

Champion
NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete

I just had an awesome ride.  It is making me rethink my times.  65 rolling miles at 18.5 mph.  Alone.  No drafting.

2011-06-11 4:59 PM
in reply to: #3543356

User image

Expert
WA
phatknot - 2011-06-10 6:00 AM

After that Mrs. Slayer cooked me a double cut ribe-eye on the bone and a plate full of veggies and taters. I then hit the ice cream, new oreos, and rice krispey treats. You know why? Because I felt like it.

Amen!!  I chowed 2 pieces of cake yesterday and going for another two today!  We are having a bbq for my pre-ironman debut, should be fun! 

Happy training everyone!

2011-06-11 5:00 PM

User image

Expert
WA
JoshKaptur - 2011-06-09 11:11 PM

Bummer you won't be in CDA, but totally understandable.  Let us know if you change your mind!   Thanks for the taper tips

2011-06-11 5:04 PM

User image

Veteran
Clarksvile

I just got done with my last long run.   I swear the wind here has been horrible for
the last 4 weeks.  I can’t get a break.  The only good thing is if it’s windy on race day I’m good to go.  I have
my last 100miler ride tomorrow then its taper time.

2011-06-11 6:10 PM

User image

Elite
Mesa, AZ
Water temp updates? I don't really care, just curious.I've heard the road surface at CDA is awesome. I'm a sucker for smooth pavement. Truth in that? Is there a BT get together planned?
New Thread
CLOSED
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 171