BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beth and Yanti's Manatees Mentor Group--FULL! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 47

2008-05-03 7:59 AM
in reply to: #1379482

User image

Pro
Sous Mon Diadème
Subject: RE: Beth and Yanti's Manatees Mentor Group--FULL!

SSMinnow - 2008-05-03 7:33 AM With one more recovery week to go, I'm up for a challenge.  Unlike most of you, I am a morning person (up with the chickens) and am ready for bed before 10pm most nights.  My biggest problem is not staying motivated to do work outs, but rather snacking all the time on crap.  I will go long periods of time with perfect eating and then BAM I fall off the wagon.  Any thoughts on a challenge to help us eat better, healthier, more/less.......

I like that idea.  My eating is actually pretty decent, though I do have my moments, but I'd like to make myself more accountable for it.  I take meds that make me gain weight so my weight fluctuates depending on the dosage and duration.  Trying to pay attention better to my eating during those high dose times would be really helpful to me.  And, for the record, I'm up at the crack of stupid most days and should get to bed early but, well, I'm not so good at that!

2008-05-03 12:39 PM
in reply to: #1379527

User image

Master
Pacific Northwest
mila - 2008-05-03 5:59 AM

SSMinnow - 2008-05-03 7:33 AM With one more recovery week to go, I'm up for a challenge.  Unlike most of you, I am a morning person (up with the chickens) and am ready for bed before 10pm most nights.  My biggest problem is not staying motivated to do work outs, but rather snacking all the time on crap.  I will go long periods of time with perfect eating and then BAM I fall off the wagon.  Any thoughts on a challenge to help us eat better, healthier, more/less.......

I like that idea.  My eating is actually pretty decent, though I do have my moments, but I'd like to make myself more accountable for it.  I take meds that make me gain weight so my weight fluctuates depending on the dosage and duration.  Trying to pay attention better to my eating during those high dose times would be really helpful to me.  And, for the record, I'm up at the crack of stupid most days and should get to bed early but, well, I'm not so good at that!

I should get way more sleep, too.  It's just that when the kids are finally in bed, I can focus on stuff, so I stay up too late.  Then I go to bed and read some more!  Oh well, I can rest when I am dead.    Eating is ok for me sometimes...but there are those days, we all have them!!  I just try to keep my hands out of the kid's food which is tough.  Last night I did go out and ate a delish burger, fries and two stout ales. MMMM.  Ran it off this morning with the doggie, though.

2008-05-03 12:49 PM
in reply to: #1361748

User image

Melon Presser

First ... ERIN IS REALLY SICK, so if you could click here Erin's Blog and leave her an inspire, I'm sure she'd appreciate it.

I think the MANATEE CHALLENGE ought to be very individualized ... so, like, if Suzy and Mila wanted to post their own nutrition goals, I would have a goal of waking up early, say, twice this month to work out

There's just something very powerful about putting a desire in writing and declaring it to others. The articulation of it, the focus, also makes it more likely it'll actually get done. Oh, and plus, I hear Mila has a pink whip. RRRRRRRRRROW!

Everyone will get a pat on the back for trying. (You know, like a good-effort award). I say 2/3 (however you feel like determining that) makes you a winner and there will be super-special accolades and maybe even a prize for everyone who gets to 100%. 

2008-05-03 2:48 PM
in reply to: #1379723

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
TriAya - 2008-05-03 12:49 PM

I think the MANATEE CHALLENGE ought to be very individualized ... so, like, if Suzy and Mila wanted to post their own nutrition goals, I would have a goal of waking up early, say, twice this month to work out

There's just something very powerful about putting a desire in writing and declaring it to others. The articulation of it, the focus, also makes it more likely it'll actually get done. Oh, and plus, I hear Mila has a pink whip. RRRRRRRRRROW!

Everyone will get a pat on the back for trying. (You know, like a good-effort award). I say 2/3 (however you feel like determining that) makes you a winner and there will be super-special accolades and maybe even a prize for everyone who gets to 100%. 

Makes total sense to me.  I need to think a little about how to state the goal.  When is the deadline?

I am so glad I have this group to turn to because here is my embarrasing swimming question of the day.  After spending time in the pool, especially if I feel like I have pushed things I seem to swallow a pound of extra air that simply must be expelled (embarrasing part).  I am a little worried that this trapped air thing will happen due to the excitement of my first tri and then I need to get on the bike and then run Surprised and it will cause a lot of GI issues.  Any ideas on how to avoid this in the first place? 

2008-05-03 5:51 PM

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York

Hi Suzy - first of all, no need to be embarrassed - those darn bodily functions happen to the best of us

It sounds like you are taking in a lot of air when you breath - lots of people feel that they are gasping for air

Let me ask a few questions as I have to admit, I haven't had this happen to me, but I'm sure it has happened to many others.

What is your breathing pattern - every other stroke, every fourth stroke, bilateral?

Can you describe how you feel when you take a breath?

How would you compare your breathing when you are running to how you feel when you are swimming? 

Do you exhale under water or wait until you are taking your breath?

I'm going to look through some of my material and see if I can't find some tips on breathing technique that may help.

2008-05-03 5:52 PM

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York

Oh, and as far as challenges go - my personal one would probably be the getting up early thing

I'll have to give it some thought

2008-05-03 11:37 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Omaha, NE

Hey you all!  I can't tell you how much I too appreciated all of the pictures posted . . . dang, I have only done the one race so far and didn't buy any pics as I HATED them all!  Maybe I'll reconsider . . .  You all ROCK!

Sorry I haven't been around much, I've been busy as ever!  I drove down to Lincoln today with a friend and we NEED to get to bed here VERY soon, so that we can get up in a few hours and get ready to do the Lincoln Half-Marathon!  Super excited to do my first half :D  Couldn't be doing it with a better friend either, makes it a very special day!  I'll be back with a race report tomorrow I hope, though I may not be able to get on until Late or until Monday . . .

Have a GREAT Sunday all!

Renee

2008-05-04 12:52 AM

User image

Master
Victoria BC
Good luck in your half tomorrow
2008-05-04 6:35 AM
in reply to: #1379994

User image

Champion
lastcall2003 - 2008-05-03 5:51 PM

Hi Suzy - first of all, no need to be embarrassed - those darn bodily functions happen to the best of us

It sounds like you are taking in a lot of air when you breath - lots of people feel that they are gasping for air

Let me ask a few questions as I have to admit, I haven't had this happen to me, but I'm sure it has happened to many others.

What is your breathing pattern - every other stroke, every fourth stroke, bilateral?

Can you describe how you feel when you take a breath?

How would you compare your breathing when you are running to how you feel when you are swimming? 

Do you exhale under water or wait until you are taking your breath?

I'm going to look through some of my material and see if I can't find some tips on breathing technique that may help.

First off, I am a new swimmer and have only recently been able to swim more than 100 yards w/o feeling like my lungs were going to explode.  I do exhale under water, but am never sure if I exhale all the way before breathing again. I started as a bil-lateral breather and go for air every third stroke.  My swimming coach has tried to get me to vary this based on need, but my head is so programmed to do it this way that everything else falls apart when I try it.  I am way more comfortable breathing on land when running, even at tempo or interval effort.  As a former near drowning victim I think that might always been the case! But I have learned to really love swimming.

I am slowly getting to the point that I know if I am rushing things I cannot get enough air in and out so I slow down and rotate more.  The longer I go or the faster I try to go the worse the trapped air gets!

PS How do you get the pink box full of our members to transfer to your log?  Every time I try to do it, only the names transfer and they are spaced so far apart. You all seem so proficient in getting cute litte smiley faces too. No idea on how to use anything more than the ones provided above!

2008-05-04 6:47 PM

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York

Hi Suzy,

I've got a few thoughts, but don't have time to post them right now - I'm taking my stuff back to PA with me and I'll post tomorrow night

I'm flying back to PA in the morning and need to work on graduation announcements and invitations for DD tonight

2008-05-04 9:10 PM

User image

Expert
Berkeley, Calif.
Hey, gang. I'm so sorry I've been MIA lately but I got suddenly pretty sick last week and then you guys went and got all chatty and I couldn't keep up! Good work!

I haven't read everything from the past few days yet, but I wanted to drop by first to say THANK YOU for all of the inpsires. It felt great knowing you guys were thinking of me. And second, I did end up doing the race this morning, and while it wasn't my best effort (my goal, literally, was just to cross that finish line, so that's fine), it also wasn't my worst, and I'm glad I did it.

2008-05-04 10:36 PM
in reply to: #1381175

Regular

I'm so impressed that you finished your race!!  Way to go....very inspiring!!

I have decided to go back to a specific training plan.  A little background for those whose are new around here.  I did the 16-week sprint program and completed it the week of my first tir (3/17/08).  Since then I have had a really hard time training.  I have been running lots, but I'm very unorganized with my bike and swim workouts.  I have until 7/12 to train for my next tri, so I'm going to start at week 7 of the 16-week plan.  I think it will help me a lot.  I hope so anyway. 

2008-05-05 7:26 AM
in reply to: #1381175

User image

Pro
Sous Mon Diadème

Fielding - 2008-05-04 10:10 PM Hey, gang. I'm so sorry I've been MIA lately but I got suddenly pretty sick last week and then you guys went and got all chatty and I couldn't keep up! Good work! I haven't read everything from the past few days yet, but I wanted to drop by first to say THANK YOU for all of the inpsires. It felt great knowing you guys were thinking of me. And second, I did end up doing the race this morning, and while it wasn't my best effort (my goal, literally, was just to cross that finish line, so that's fine), it also wasn't my worst, and I'm glad I did it.

Wow, Erin!  Great job of getting out there after being so sick and it sounds like you did so while still listening to your body and not trying to push too much too soon.

2008-05-05 9:20 AM

User image

Expert

Happy Monday everyone.

Anything special happening for anyone this weekend or just a regular week of work and training?

I'm think I'm in the regular week category.

2008-05-05 9:52 AM

User image

Regular
South Florida

Happy Monday Everyone!

I didn't include any pictures, but I do appreciate having others post theirs, esp Melissa (BunnyB).  Thanks for posting those.  I don't have any bad race photos, but I have bad regular photos.  Check my Myspace. 

My weekend was fantabulous.  I ran 5.8mi (thought I only ran 5) and then went dancing for hours!  I was like a kid in an amusement park.  Jumping up and down, being a goofball.  Hope everyone else's was the same.

This week I start my three sport training.  I'm a little leery of getting back into the pool, but I only have 150m on tap (starting r e a l l y  s l o w), so I think I'll be ok.

Edited by yogus 2008-05-05 9:54 AM
2008-05-05 11:24 AM
in reply to: #1381896

User image

Master
Suwanee, Ga.

Great job training this weekend everyone...I did a bike/run brick (11mi/5+mi) then did spin class and a run home from the gym this morning.  Man...I love being outside doing something.

Yanti:  I am right there with you on the commitment thing.  Whether it is paying for a race or telling your friends that you are going to do something...those are things that do it for me.  That is why the challenges work for me and the approach I have taken in doing my first marathon next Jan...oop's  I just told some more folks Of course as close as I live to Mila...that whip is a real threat

Happy Cinco de Mayo...and remember...there is no such thing as a lo-cal margarita...but hey...it is a holiday!

Edited by Reno8 2008-05-05 11:28 AM

2008-05-05 12:37 PM

User image

Champion

Recovery Week #3 is on tap for me which means lower run mileage which I hate since it is finally starting to get nice in WI.  I also have an LT bike test set up for Thursday which should be kind of interesting....Enjoy the week.

2008-05-05 12:42 PM
in reply to: #1382152

User image

Expert
I'm a Tennessee girl living in SoCal.
Reno8 - 2008-05-05 9:24 AM

Happy Cinco de Mayo...and remember...there is no such thing as a lo-cal margarita...but hey...it is a holiday!

Au contraire! (Is it bad to use French in connection with a Mexican holiday? )

Hungry Girl's Magical Low-Calorie Margarita

(Entire recipe: 105 calories, 0g fat, 58mg sodium, 2g carbs, 0g fiber, 0.5g sugars, 0g protein)

6 oz. Sierra Mist Free (or Diet Sprite Zero, or your other fave no-cal lemon-lime soda)
1.5 oz. tequila*
1/2 tsp. Crystal Light powdered drink mix, Lemonade
1 oz. lime juice
Lime slice for garnish and salt or no-calorie sweetener for rim of glass (optional)

If desired, run some lime juice along the rim of the glass and dip into a dish of salt or sweetener. Mix all ingredients together. Pour over 1 cup of crushed ice. Optional: Garnish with lime slice. Enjoy. Serves 1!

*You can also make your margaritas alcohol-free. Each recipe, without tequila, contains around 10 calories!

That's how the recipe was originally written. I actually mix all the ingredients together and then throw it into my blender with the ice to make it into more of a frozen margarita. Is it as good as a "real" margarita, no. However, it's not bad considering it's about 1/6th of the calories of the real thing.

2008-05-05 1:11 PM
in reply to: #1379865

User image

Melon Presser
SSMinnow - 2008-05-03 1:48 PM

Makes total sense to me.  I need to think a little about how to state the goal.  When is the deadline?

I am so glad I have this group to turn to because here is my embarrasing swimming question of the day.  After spending time in the pool, especially if I feel like I have pushed things I seem to swallow a pound of extra air that simply must be expelled (embarrasing part).  I am a little worried that this trapped air thing will happen due to the excitement of my first tri and then I need to get on the bike and then run Surprised and it will cause a lot of GI issues.  Any ideas on how to avoid this in the first place? 

A lot of the swimming issues will naturally resolve themselves as you get coached on form and continue to improve and put swimming yardage in and really get a feel for the water.

Here's a couple thread to look at re. the swallowing issue:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=109044&posts=8&highlight=swallowing&highlightmode=1#M1313187

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=104992&posts=8&highlight=swallowing&highlightmode=1#M1238235

2008-05-05 1:22 PM
in reply to: #1381779

User image

Master
Pacific Northwest
elheffe99 - 2008-05-05 7:20 AM

Happy Monday everyone.

Anything special happening for anyone this weekend or just a regular week of work and training?

I have a very high volume week..I am in the last two weeks before a long-ish taper to my first Olympic tri on June 7...so you will find me on the bike, running and swimming with some bricks, every spare moment.  And if you know me at all, you will know that I have to fight tooth and nail for spare moments around here, so I tend toward frustration a lot when I have lots of workouts planned.  I have had a rough weekend with the hubby regarding T.I.T.S. and hopefully I will get more of that this week than I did last week.  I also need good weather--pray to the sun gods!!

It was such a crazy week last week with unplanned beginning of preschool for my 'baby' and the entrance of a sweet doggie to our household, also totally unplanned.  I think we are keeping him, though, as he does really well with everyone.  I will be taking him on my 80 minute run with me tomorrow!  As a result of the past week, I am way behind on the normal day-to-day stuff like paying bills, cleaning, doing laundry, cooking....basically 'my job' as a mom!  Oops!  So I really ought to get of BT and get busy!!!!

Glad to see everyone is having such fun and being so active.  Will review logs later during naptime.....

2008-05-05 3:14 PM
in reply to: #1382152

User image

Pro
Sous Mon Diadème
Reno8 - 2008-05-05 12:24 PM

Great job training this weekend everyone...I did a bike/run brick (11mi/5+mi) then did spin class and a run home from the gym this morning.  Man...I love being outside doing something.

Yanti:  I am right there with you on the commitment thing.  Whether it is paying for a race or telling your friends that you are going to do something...those are things that do it for me.  That is why the challenges work for me and the approach I have taken in doing my first marathon next Jan...oop's  I just told some more folks Of course as close as I live to Mila...that whip is a real threat

Happy Cinco de Mayo Mila...and remember...there are plenty of is no such thing as a local margaritas...and hey...it is a holiday!

I fixed that for ya, Steve.  You're welcome, no charge. Don't make me get out the pink whips .

2008-05-05 3:49 PM

User image

Expert

I almost forgot to post my positive note of the day.

I make a mean maragarita and sometimes I even make them for others. I'm just sayin'.....

2008-05-05 4:15 PM
in reply to: #1381779

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA
elheffe99 - 2008-05-05 7:20 AM

Happy Monday everyone.

hey happy monday.....and cinco de mayo as well. my last week of work, and start a new gig. plus with my new hours i can be one of those peoples who can train in the morning-i am actually looking forward to it. it will create a more consistent training plan for me. i hope everyone is doing well today...cheers.
2008-05-05 4:16 PM
in reply to: #1383033

User image

Master
Suwanee, Ga.

Is this a great site of what....I sign up to be led by two Hottie Tri Women for the next few months and get in with a great group of people and in one page of posts you have discussions about:

• Passing gas
  • A margarita recipe (lo-cal no less)
  • Discussion of whips
  • A hottie having trouble with her husband and her T.I.T.S.

I can't wait to see where this train takes us over the next few months...It should be quite a ride..or run...or swim (I hate swimming)

2008-05-05 4:18 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA
today was some great for lunch...only an hour but it is better than no today.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beth and Yanti's Manatees Mentor Group--FULL! Rss Feed  

of 47