BT Development Mentor Program Archives » JuniperJen's Keeping It Consistent Group - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 35

2011-01-14 8:50 AM
in reply to: #3299096

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
Subject: RE: JuniperJen's Keeping It Consistent Group - FULL
BigDH - 2011-01-14 9:29 AM
juniperjen - 2011-01-14 7:14 AM Re biking: I am doing some biking.  My husband I have our bikes set up in the living room on trainers (he has a nice fluid one, I have an older magnetic trainer) facing the tv.

I primarily bike on that.  I am using the 7 to 10 hours winter plan from this site and it gives me some interesting bike workouts to do. There are some drills, intervals, etc. There are a couple of spinning studios near me but aside from the expense I would rather ride my own bike and since I have planned workouts that definitely helps the motivation.
That is awesome. My wife doesn't tri so I could never get away with that. Besides we have the 23 month old running around and that would just be scary. I have a magnetic one in the cold dark basement but that is boring, so boring. I trained for 3 months on it before my first IM and could barely last 30 minutes on it without scratching my eyes out.

Yes, we are giant tri nerds at the JJen house.  I forget sometimes that not everyone is like us and thought a friend should dump her boyfriend when he expressed concern at having a bike in the livingroom.  Took me a second to remember that it is me who is crazy, not everyone else! LOL!   I guess it would be different if our living room was carpeted ... but we would still have a sweet set up somewhere.

2011-01-14 8:51 AM
in reply to: #3299132

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
Osfan4life - 2011-01-14 9:47 AM Re: "Which brings me to another thing I read recently which was about the different between men and women and it really resonated with me - is that women try to do it all while men usually pick one thing and focus on that.  So, it helped me, just set one goal for a week - say, to do all your workouts. When you've done that, think about doing something else like logging your food for a week, or doing your food prep on Sunday.

"Thats a good point! I follow a run blogger (a guy, of course) who sets one goal for 21 days, which is what the ominous they say is habit forming time. Then he moves on to another goal. Somewhat related - nowadays they say multitasking is inefficient. And yet we ladies tend to try tapping into super powers. Totally unrelated - today's my WW weigh in day. 141.0 - down 1.6 after holding steady for about 3 wks. Woohoo!!

Congrats!!!  WW is a great program! 
2011-01-14 10:35 AM
in reply to: #3299132

User image

Veteran
Osfan4life - 2011-01-14 8:47 AM Re: "Which brings me to another thing I read recently which was about the different between men and women and it really resonated with me - is that women try to do it all while men usually pick one thing and focus on that.  So, it helped me, just set one goal for a week - say, to do all your workouts. When you've done that, think about doing something else like logging your food for a week, or doing your food prep on Sunday."Thats a good point! I follow a run blogger (a guy, of course) who sets one goal for 21 days, which is what the ominous they say is habit forming time. Then he moves on to another goal. Somewhat related - nowadays they say multitasking is inefficient. And yet we ladies tend to try tapping into super powers. Totally unrelated - today's my WW weigh in day. 141.0 - down 1.6 after holding steady for about 3 wks. Woohoo!!

Woohoo is right!  Awesome job!!
2011-01-14 2:14 PM
in reply to: #3257308

User image

Veteran
South Shore, MA
Regarding current cycling training - I'm taking 2-3 spin classes a week.  I like the group motivation and loud music!  I'm looking forward to getting out on my own bike, but that will not likely happen until April.  I don't clip in at spin class.  I use the toe clips with running shoes, which is what I plan to do for my tris this first season.
2011-01-14 3:07 PM

User image

Champion
Calgary
To everyone who is cycling now, you are awesome.
2011-01-14 3:17 PM

User image

Expert
Canada
Well to show how I am diverse & not obsessed, I 'm going out dinner with my honey tonite.  A steakhouse.  Gonna have some wine, rare cow & savour life!

I am definitely a carnivore.  My wife could take or leave it.  She will probably have salmon, or 2 appetizers.  Me, bloody filet, probably!!!

Gotta go make myself prettyKissInnocent  That is difficult, but she loves me anywayWink

2011-01-14 3:39 PM

User image

Champion
Calgary
Ahhhh, I too am going to be spending too much money on too nice a dinner. May even try steak tar tar today. And a nice pint of whatever is on tap....mmmmmmmmmmm.
2011-01-14 9:37 PM

User image

Memphis
Warning: long post: help with training schedule please??

So I think I've totally screwed up my "training plan". I am using a six-week training plan, and my goal was to start easy, workout maybe 3 days a week, and get fluid in all three sports till I hit the six weeks before my March 13 race. As it stands right now, I have four weeks between Sunday and the start of the "moderate" weeks - and he allows for 2 days off a week, but I may throw in one day of strength only. my question is...what should I do in the four weeks leading up...since I've already been working out a lot at this point? I still can't run the full 5K so I'd like to work on that...I'm up to about 550 in the pool without stopping (slow though and the bike is just the bike for the 3 mile distance the 3:1 run/walk still feels the best to me. Thoughts?? Thank you, you have all been so helpful already!!!
2011-01-14 10:51 PM
in reply to: #3300828

User image

Champion
Calgary
mylissahorrocks - 2011-01-14 8:37 PM

Warning: long post: help with training schedule please??

So I think I've totally screwed up my "training plan". I am using a six-week training plan, and my goal was to start easy, workout maybe 3 days a week, and get fluid in all three sports till I hit the six weeks before my March 13 race. As it stands right now, I have four weeks between Sunday and the start of the "moderate" weeks - and he allows for 2 days off a week, but I may throw in one day of strength only. my question is...what should I do in the four weeks leading up...since I've already been working out a lot at this point? I still can't run the full 5K so I'd like to work on that...I'm up to about 550 in the pool without stopping (slow though and the bike is just the bike for the 3 mile distance the 3:1 run/walk still feels the best to me. Thoughts?? Thank you, you have all been so helpful already!!!

I think the most important thing is to lengthen your workouts. You can get the five k done but it is slow, which is okay. You may be tempted to try to do the five k faster or woth less walking and that would be Omaha, but if it was me I would try to work ok staying ing there for an hohr or more at your current pace. Over distancing on the run to 7 or 10 k would help your fitness level a lot if you can manage it and find the time. It would also give you added confidence for the race.

BUt then these days I have a large bias towards the run. It is just of thw 3 running is the only one that you cannot coast and where a 10k workout burns the same Amount of calories regardless of your pace. Just don't do too much to fast and be patient.
2011-01-15 4:57 AM
in reply to: #3299070

User image

Expert
Canada
juniperjen - 2011-01-14 10:14 AM  

Oh and I use my Garmin 310 as my bike computer and it's great for doing interval and HR based workouts. As you can tell i am a big nerd but I love programming the intervals into it and then all the work I have to do is listen for the beeps.

Is 310 XT?  How do you use on trainer?  Cadence sensor?

2011-01-15 8:14 AM
in reply to: #3300984

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
GoGoGo - 2011-01-15 5:57 AM
juniperjen - 2011-01-14 10:14 AM  

Oh and I use my Garmin 310 as my bike computer and it's great for doing interval and HR based workouts. As you can tell i am a big nerd but I love programming the intervals into it and then all the work I have to do is listen for the beeps.

Is 310 XT?  How do you use on trainer?  Cadence sensor?

Yeppers. 

2011-01-15 8:22 AM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
mylissahorrocks - 2011-01-14 10:37 PM Warning: long post: help with training schedule please??

I had a whole response and then realized that I misread your question.  Personally, I love a training plan.  So I would find a basic one somewhere - here or from a book or something for some structure just for the next four weeks.  But then if you've been okay to workout pretty free form for now you might really benefit from the Couch to 5k plan on this site for your run.  Take the last four weeks and see if it works for you or start at the week that looks like where you're at (if it's 3/1's, find that week and start there).  Fit in some swims and bikes and you should be set.

At this point its really about being consistent so your training plan doesn't kick you in the butt when you start.  And I understand the need to maintain motivation until the plan officially starts! 

Edited by juniperjen 2011-01-15 8:28 AM
2011-01-15 10:10 AM

User image

Pro
Houston
Hey folks glad I checked in today.  I tend to avoid when I am not doing what I am supposed to be doing.  The last few days have not been good for me training wise.  I am not a winter kind of girl and now we have rain!

I have a trainer but I hate getting on it.  I have ridden it twice since I got my new fit/crank and honestly it's not comfortable.  I don't want that to be the truth.  I have had several fits, several seats and tweaks and the bike is still very uncomfortable for me.  I spent $300 hoping it would help/fix and it doesn't seem to at all.  This is VERY frustrating.  I don't understand why the bike is so uncomfortable/painful for me.  I am not a wuss, 5 babies delivered w/o pain meds but I can't ride in aero for more than a couple of minutes.  I just don't get it.

My husband is riding right now, it was wet when he went out but it hasn't rained in a couple of hours so I am thinking of going for a short spin, I am actually seeing a peek of blue sky out of one of our windows so I know I should jump on this.

Running is my favorite right now which seems odd.  The only thing I don't like is it used to be so easy to just strap on the shoes, Garmin and go.  Now I have to layer clothes and drive to a place to run because of the neighborhood K-9 situation. 

None of the 3 are easy right now and that is getting to me! 

Today I will bike and run and tomorrow I will swim (we have to drive to get to a pool that is indoor) since our close one is outside. 

I know I will feel better once I do this!  I'm just not sure why I am so much less motivated right now, I don't like it.  When I was training for my HIM I only missed 2 workouts in 3-4 months.  I've missed 2 workouts this week alone!  Time to get it done!

Have a great weekend everyone!
2011-01-15 10:31 AM

User image

mylissahorrocks - 2011-01-14 10:37 PMWarning: long post: help with training schedule please??

Thoughts! I was in a similar position last year and the year before with running. I had to do some run/walk ratio and I wanted to be able to run the whole thing. If that's what you want and aren't shooting for a pace right now, I'd say slow down. Having a heart rate monitor helps. When I was run/walking my hr was in the high 170s during runs - and I was at a 12 min mi pace or slightly faster. Now I'm in the low 150s at a 13-14 min mi pace and can run 3 miles without walking.Good luck with it!!
2011-01-15 12:45 PM

User image

Veteran
Got up and got my butt to spin!!!!  It was great and my legs felt like jelly after.  So glad I got up.
2011-01-15 12:47 PM

User image

Veteran
South Shore, MA
mylissahorrocks - 2011-01-14 10:37 PM Warning: long post: help with training schedule please??

I agree with the others and would work on the running in the next 4 weeks, maybe a couple times a week.  I found running at a VERY slow, comfortable pace for the 5K distance helped to mentally psyche me up that I could do the distance, that it was even physically possible for me.  And then focus on time/speed and increasing distance for fitness down the road...  Good luck!

2011-01-15 8:41 PM

User image

Champion
Calgary
Acknowledgments, second page. 22 k run done. Might even make 77k this week.
2011-01-15 8:42 PM
in reply to: #3301492

User image

Champion
Calgary
debbiereid06 - 2011-01-15 11:45 AM

Got up and got my butt to spin!!!!  It was great and my legs felt like jelly after.  So glad I got up.

Good job
2011-01-16 8:34 AM

User image

Expert
Canada
Another Spin Class in the books.  All part of the running hiatus.Frown

Hope everyone is having a good week-end...
2011-01-16 8:35 AM
in reply to: #3301310

User image

Expert
Canada
KeriKadi - 2011-01-15 12:10 PM Hey folks glad I checked in today.  I tend to avoid when I am not doing what I am supposed to be doing.  The last few days have not been good for me training wise.  I am not a winter kind of girl and now we have rain!

I know I will feel better once I do this!  I'm just not sure why I am so much less motivated right now, I don't like it.  When I was training for my HIM I only missed 2 workouts in 3-4 months.  I've missed 2 workouts this week alone!  Time to get it done!

Hey Keri,

Hang in there... It's just a bump in the road.

2011-01-16 8:37 AM
in reply to: #3301492

User image

Expert
Canada
debbiereid06 - 2011-01-15 2:45 PM   It was great and my legs felt like jelly after.  

That how they are supposed to feelWink Good job, you worked hard & your legs are letting you know!

2011-01-16 9:27 AM

User image

Champion
Calgary

Good morning, off to do some shopping then 12k in the afternnoon to get me to 80 for the week.
2011-01-16 10:59 AM
in reply to: #3302460

User image

Pro
Houston
GoGoGo - 2011-01-16 8:35 AM
KeriKadi - 2011-01-15 12:10 PM Hey folks glad I checked in today.  I tend to avoid when I am not doing what I am supposed to be doing.  The last few days have not been good for me training wise.  I am not a winter kind of girl and now we have rain!

Hey Keri,

Hang in there... It's just a bump in the road.

Thanks!  I actually got in 24+ on the bike yesterday and then a hard run!  Then I had to come home and get my oldest son ready for a formal, I was crashed out by 9PM and I am a night owl so that is WAY early!  Slept all the way through to 7! 

Today my husband has his first 2,000 consecutive swim on his plan.  We are going to the pool together but I haven't decided whether I will swim 2,000 next to him in solidarity or swim my plan.
Either way it's turning out to be a pretty good training weekend.  All the kids are off school tomorrow so if the weather holds up I might get another ride in.

Edited by KeriKadi 2011-01-16 11:55 AM

(CoryMaggiesm.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
CoryMaggiesm.JPG (70KB - 4 downloads)
2011-01-16 12:17 PM
in reply to: #3302647

User image

Expert
Canada
KeriKadi - 2011-01-16 12:59 PM
Then I had to come home and get my oldest son ready for a formal

Looking Good!!!

Edited by GoGoGo 2011-01-16 12:18 PM
2011-01-16 1:04 PM

User image

Veteran
Hope everyone is having a great weekend.  Looks like some have gotten some good workouts in which is awesome!!!

K-Nice picture!

Ran 3.1 today!  Haven't done that since November and it felt good.  Was glad to push my legs after that spin class yesterday.  Now sitting on the couch routing for the BEARS!  GO BEARS!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » JuniperJen's Keeping It Consistent Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 35