BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Fred D and Queen Zipp's SWIM, BIKE RUN consistency thread.... CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 64

2013-01-11 3:37 PM
in reply to: #4574319

User image

Extreme Veteran
Villanova
Subject: RE: Fred D and Queen Zipp's SWIM, BIKE RUN consistency thread.... CLOSED
SSMinnow - 2013-01-11 3:09 PM
japewang - 2013-01-11 2:57 PM

Did my FTP test on trainerroad.com today.  New FTP of 218.  Not sure how to take it.  When i was using the computer on my KK last year my FTP calculated doing Jorge's plan was in the 250s.  Plus it claimed i was going much "faster" in estimated speed than I am now.  Maybe I gave up more fitness than I thought I would the last quarter of 2012.  Mistake.  Oh well Move on.

Had an interesting episode this week.  I don't have any "known" food allergies, but I do know that i cannot eat clif bars because they make my throat lock up.  Feels tough to breathe, swallow, etc and then it subsides after about 5 minutes.  I was travelling for work and ate a Balance bar before jumping on the treadmill on wednesday.  Was maintaining a good pace around 8min/mi about 25 mins into my run when I started feeling the same symptoms as described above when I eat clif bars.  Only it got worse and then i had itching in my palms and legs.  Got some hives.  Super strange.  Had to lie down for about 15 minutes but then it all subsided. No more symptoms, good to go.  I know I should go see a doc, but should I start with saying I have a suspected food allergy? Describe the episode and let them decide the right course?  

That is really scary.  I'm no FRED (e.g doctor), but I would make that appointment asap.  Can you isolate a common ingredient between the cliff bar and the balance bar? ever happened when not eating these?

Yeah, I do have some GERD symptoms sometimes in the normal course of eating and have been told to manage it using prilosec or a generic type once a day.  Sorry, i probably made the episode sound more scary than it was .  Have an email into my doc right now.  Not sure if I can isolate a common ingredient.  Don't have this type of problem with other bars such as bonk breaker, regular granola bars, etc.

2013-01-11 4:15 PM
in reply to: #4574192

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Subject: RE: Fred D and Queen Zipp's SWIM, BIKE RUN consistency thread.... CLOSED
tri808 - 2013-01-11 2:48 PM

Fred D - 2013-01-11 2:46 AM I have a very strong will and love the training but have felt the pressure of the 'fade' with all of my injuries in the last few years. I'm curious to see what the group thinks of my thoughts here? How long have you been doing triathlon and have you had similar struggles? PS had a good trainer ride this am

Entering my 4th year and I have already questioned myself about how long I can keep "going the way I'm going."  I love training, but constantly grinding for races can be a bit stale as you mentioned.  My A race HIM is in early June, but I purposely made no plans after that...and I have already targeted a few races that I want to do "just for fun" because they never fit into my tight race schedule before.  A few OWS races we have (where there is no pressure to compete because I'll get smoked...LOL) and a the Xterra WC half marathon which is here in Hawaii.  I'll probably be the guy stopping to take pictures along the way for that race.

Very tru on the change of focus...I spent most of 2010 and 201 on injured reserves.  I volunteered at races, did a bunch of open water swim events for fun (heaven knows I would NEVER) have a competitive time)...I really try to just have fun while training and racing.  When it stops being FUN it's time to find a new hobby. 
2013-01-11 4:17 PM
in reply to: #4574388

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
japewang - 2013-01-11 4:37 PM
SSMinnow - 2013-01-11 3:09 PM
japewang - 2013-01-11 2:57 PM

Did my FTP test on trainerroad.com today.  New FTP of 218.  Not sure how to take it.  When i was using the computer on my KK last year my FTP calculated doing Jorge's plan was in the 250s.  Plus it claimed i was going much "faster" in estimated speed than I am now.  Maybe I gave up more fitness than I thought I would the last quarter of 2012.  Mistake.  Oh well Move on.

Had an interesting episode this week.  I don't have any "known" food allergies, but I do know that i cannot eat clif bars because they make my throat lock up.  Feels tough to breathe, swallow, etc and then it subsides after about 5 minutes.  I was travelling for work and ate a Balance bar before jumping on the treadmill on wednesday.  Was maintaining a good pace around 8min/mi about 25 mins into my run when I started feeling the same symptoms as described above when I eat clif bars.  Only it got worse and then i had itching in my palms and legs.  Got some hives.  Super strange.  Had to lie down for about 15 minutes but then it all subsided. No more symptoms, good to go.  I know I should go see a doc, but should I start with saying I have a suspected food allergy? Describe the episode and let them decide the right course?  

That is really scary.  I'm no FRED (e.g doctor), but I would make that appointment asap.  Can you isolate a common ingredient between the cliff bar and the balance bar? ever happened when not eating these?

Yeah, I do have some GERD symptoms sometimes in the normal course of eating and have been told to manage it using prilosec or a generic type once a day.  Sorry, i probably made the episode sound more scary than it was .  Have an email into my doc right now.  Not sure if I can isolate a common ingredient.  Don't have this type of problem with other bars such as bonk breaker, regular granola bars, etc.

There may be a common ingredient to both the bars mentioned causing the symptoms.  Food allergies are treated with avoidance of the food.  Not like environmental allergies where you avoid the contact and possibly get shots ( says the lady who is allergic to everything but horses and has failed at getting off allergy shots)
2013-01-11 5:09 PM
in reply to: #4549087

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Hi all...happy Friday!!

Sounds like there has been some ado going on in several lives lately. I hope everything is getting settled down on the health fronts. I don't have any insights for you, I'm the piled high and deep kind of doc.

I had a great workout this morning among all the goings on surrounding the beginning of the new semester on Monday. I hit the pool with the intention to just swim long and relaxed after yesterday's drill session. I was surprised to find it all clicked today and I had a great swim! I was peeling off sets of 400yds with no sweat and probably could have gone all day, but I wasn't properly hydrated when I went to the pool so I had to keep stopping for water. Ended up doing a mile and not really wanting to leave the pool, but I had to so I could get back to work (coffee has water in it...right? ). I admit I may have been toying with the guy in the next lane a little too, as he kept trying to race me when I was on his right-it was only fun because I was actually beating him!

2013-01-11 9:41 PM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Dag nabbit!  My favorite sprint tri has had a change in dates.  She moved it from Father's Day weekend (or there about) to the end of July and this year it's the week I'm on vacation.  Sassafrass!  I was looking forward to kicking butt  on those hills this year.  Need to come up with a plan B cause don't care much for the other races with that group.  This may turn into a year of  single sport events like biking and running with a couple of tris tossed in if they fit......
2013-01-11 10:22 PM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
Dag nabbit. Love it! My aunts (with whom I grew up) used to say that all the time. That and 'Dad Gommit'.

Racing single sport stuff can be a really great way to make progress in tri. It gives you a great perspective on what is possible.

I managed one of my favorite workouts today (dictated by the fact that I had only 25 minutes including the shower afterwards). I call it 'broken 5K'. Run 1 mile hard, then 6x1/4 mile hard, then 1/2 mile moderately hard, then .1 easy. Rest about 30s after each interval. I mainly use it to fantasize about how fast someday I could run a 5K. Those rests have a huge impact. Injury potential is quite high however....

Edited by Experior 2013-01-11 10:27 PM

2013-01-11 10:28 PM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

What I'm now debating is to do the same Half Mary that Kristen is signed up for in February.  I have a fairly decent base so I could probably pull off a 4 week build without too much effort.....I know it wouldn't be a hunt for my sub 2 though!!

Michael, that workout looks beastly, I may need to try it sometime.

2013-01-11 10:48 PM

User image

Expert

I was going to ride the rollers after tuck ins tonight, but ended up having a few drinks during game night (a solid session of Slamwich! I was thoroughly beaten by my 8yo).  Seems like a bad idea to saddle up on the rollers after having a few. Sealed  

Have a great weekend everyone!

david.

2013-01-11 11:08 PM
in reply to: #4574773

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
QueenZipp - 2013-01-11 11:28 PM

What I'm now debating is to do the same Half Mary that Kristen is signed up for in February.  I have a fairly decent base so I could probably pull off a 4 week build without too much effort.....I know it wouldn't be a hunt for my sub 2 though!!

My vote is to do it! Half marathon is a wonderful race. I love tri, but HM is probably my favorite race to run.
2013-01-12 5:54 AM
in reply to: #4574462

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2013-01-12 5:55 AM
in reply to: #4574770

2013-01-12 7:43 AM
in reply to: #4574798

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Experior - 2013-01-12 12:08 AM

My vote is to do it! Half marathon is a wonderful race. I love tri, but HM is probably my favorite race to run.

I am leaning towards this.  I'm going to go for 10-12 miles this afternoon and if I feel pretty good it's a go!!

2013-01-12 8:33 AM
in reply to: #4574890

Master
Orlando
QueenZipp - 2013-01-12 7:43 AM

I am leaning towards this.  I'm going to go for 10-12 miles this afternoon and if I feel pretty good it's a go!!

I hope you feel good on your run - HM may be my favorite distance too.I had a tough time getting myself up and running this morning, but I did and, as always, was happy once I got going. On mornings like these I have to remind myself that I never regret a workout, but always regret a missed one.Happy weekend all.ETA: sorry for my formatting issues, this site doesn't really like my iPad

Edited by amd723 2013-01-12 8:34 AM
2013-01-12 9:47 AM
in reply to: #4574773

Champion
Out running or enjoying a fine glass of red...

Not to put on the peer pressure...but DO IT! DO IT! DO IT!

(Or at least do the 10K so you can meetup with Jen & I).

Sorry about RMS moving the race - I haven't thought past March yet...
2013-01-12 10:43 AM

Carbondale, Illinois
It is the first really beautiful Saturday here in a while, but we are expecting storms this afternoon. IRaced the thunderheads and got my long ride in outside. Man was it an eye opener! I never realized how many small hills there are around our area, and I certainly wouldn't have told you our house was on top of the biggest hill I've ever seen. Okay, so maybe that last part is based on a slightly skewed perception after 90min on the bike. I had a great ride, but was a lot slower than I was expecting. I know milages and speed in spin bikes are over estimates, but I was basically only about half as fast as I thought I was going to be. I did get lost, but that's no big deal, I figure I can always ride in the straightest direction possible and hit a main road eventually! Anyway, I didn't get hit by a car, didn't fall getting clipped or unclipped, and most importantly, I didn't have to swallow my pride and call my wife to come get me off the side of the road! I'm calling this one a win!

Things I need to work on...

1.) Figuring out how to efficiently shift to use leg power-I gave up after about 30 min and rode out the last hour in first, which I know wasn't good because I couldn't get any traction on the downhills, so I just had to coast untill my pedals bit again...losing inertia.

2.) Getting a better saddle to replace the stock that came with my bike...ouch!

3.) Getting out more often, cause that was fun!

I hope everyone has a great day! I'm off to finish the last syllabus for the upcoming semester, so the best part of my day is already over.

2013-01-12 11:05 AM

Extreme Veteran
England
On the subject of Fade, I can see how that cycle works. And it's really noticeable that the vast majority of members in our tri club have been there for less than 5 years. I'm only in my 3rd season so I can't really comment. I'm just trying to get as many good races in as I can (IM Switzerland was good, but I've heard Austria is better, so that's on the list). I also have the complication that we're starting to contemplate having a family and I'm fairly sure pregnancy and IM are not compatible. So I'm just enjoying it while it lasts. The way it's worked out the last couple of years is that I spent the first 6 months of the year training hard for a race, then the latter half of the year recovering by just doing whatever I feel like. That's helping avoid the massive burn out that I know would be heading my way otherwise.

This morning we went mountain biking again. I achieved the first of my stated goals: I made it down a red route without crying. Yay! We did a different set of routes today, but there was no crying at all and I got down nearly everything. We also did the skills loop a few more times and I tried a few more things. I was most proud of getting over the see-saw.

I'm now at the pool watching my husband coaching the junior swim session before we get in for our swim session.

2013-01-12 11:35 AM

I am finishing up a 6 day work week today which is pretty unusual but had to cover for someone today. This week was busier then usual and with the kids going back to school this week, time just flew by.

I enjoyed the recent discussions on HR training, dog running and motivation.  Being that this is my first tri season, it was a great read into the issues of accomplished and experienced triathletes.  To be honest, a lot of the terms and discussions are way over my head in regards to testing and such. I do use HR for running and applying to my long rides while building my base fitness. At this point, not too concerned about higher tempo training but plan to add more later on. I am just trying to be a student of the sport, learn from others and try apply it when it counts.  We just got a puppy a few months ago so no input here yet, still a newbie with running with dogs as well. Since this is all new to me, my motivation is my desire to do it and fear that I won't be ready....also for good health esp when I see physical changes and a good report at my annual physical.   I can't wait til my first beginner sprint in 6 weeks =)

Relaxing 2 mile runs yesterday and today. First race of the season for me tomorrow. I will be running the Allstate Los Angeles 13.1 Marathon with my church group in support of World Vision. Rain no longer in the forecast and should be nice and cool throughout. 

Have a great weekend everyone and go Seahawks and Broncos !  =)

2013-01-12 11:47 AM

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
Long run done in 25-35mph winds this morning.  Debated the TM, but figured I would benefit from the hilly terrain even if the pace was slower than normal.  Time to make some chili and get ready for the Packer Game!
2013-01-12 12:25 PM
in reply to: #4574916

Elite
washington state
amd723 - 2013-01-12 6:33 AM
QueenZipp - 2013-01-12 7:43 AM

I hope you feel good on your run - HM may be my favorite distance too.I had a tough time getting myself up and running this morning, but I did and, as always, was happy once I got going. On mornings like these I have to remind myself that I never regret a workout, but always regret a missed one. Happy weekend all.ETA: sorry for my formatting issues, this site doesn't really like my iPad

Ummm, yes, this is something that I need to remember myself!

Edited by deehtz 2013-01-12 12:26 PM
2013-01-12 1:44 PM
in reply to: #4575068

Expert
Tri2Smile - 2013-01-12 9:35 AM

Relaxing 2 mile runs yesterday and today. First race of the season for me tomorrow. I will be running the Allstate Los Angeles 13.1 Marathon with my church group in support of World Vision. Rain no longer in the forecast and should be nice and cool throughout. 

Have a great weekend everyone and go Seahawks and Broncos !  =)

Have a great race!  and go Niners! Smile

2013-01-12 1:51 PM
in reply to: #4575030

Expert
drfoodlove - 2013-01-12 8:43 AM Things I need to work on...

1.) Figuring out how to efficiently shift to use leg power-I gave up after about 30 min and rode out the last hour in first, which I know wasn't good because I couldn't get any traction on the downhills, so I just had to coast untill my pedals bit again...losing inertia.

Not quite sure what you mean here.  Are you saying you aren't able to shift gears?  Sounds like you were stuck in a really low gear, is that right?  If so, what kind of bike and what type of shifters does it have, I'm sure we could help out with the "how to's" if you like.

2013-01-12 2:10 PM
in reply to: #4575127

2013-01-12 2:11 PM

2013-01-12 3:15 PM

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
I managed to run 11.4 miles in 2:01 today, I may not be in position to chase down my sub 2 half marathon goal......but I am in position to be able to finish respectably.
2013-01-12 3:26 PM

Champion
Out running or enjoying a fine glass of red...
Today was supposed to be in the 70s here, but they lied to me. Still, got the bike off the trainer and had a nice little ride with hubby (and his new xmas bike). He was nice until we got home and he asked me if I ever go faster. :p

Still, for a first ride of the season, it wasn't awful (except for my bike handling, which is always a little sketchy).

Then some yoga with my youngest.

Tomorrow a little run - dropback week on the plan (although I missed a run this week due to the ER visit yesterday & my sluggishness midweek). Hopefully it will be in the 70s then - if so, I may do a little ride as well.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Fred D and Queen Zipp's SWIM, BIKE RUN consistency thread.... CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 64