BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mental Manatee Mentors Part 3--CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 85

2013-03-12 5:40 PM
in reply to: #4651276

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Subject: RE: Mental Manatee Mentors Part 3--CLOSED

So I am probably going to get expelled from the Manatee pod for this Cry but here goes.....

I am canning my OD in April. I feel really bad about this like I have failed.

Work has just sucked for the last month and the last week in particular and the next 3 weeks aren't going to get any better. There is no way that I can get in the required training to ensure that I am able to finish at all let alone in under 4 hours. I have been thinking about it for a few days since I hurt my back again and lost more run days.

Then last night DH said that he is planning on racing the night before so that means pit crewing for me so lots of heavy lifting and a very late night (he hasn't raced for so long that I don't want to say that I can't help him out). So that kind of made the decision final.

So my new plan is to change to a full sprint on 7th April and call that the last tri for the season, and then spend some time focusing on my run over the winter and do the 12k run for a reason at the end of May, and the HM at the city to surf at the end of August. Then I will have 12 weeks to work on swim before the Mandurah HIM with the boys and I will have a great base behind me for next tri season.

Now to make the plan work around work and other stuff.

2013-03-12 5:48 PM
in reply to: #4657280

User image

Seattle
StaceyK - 2013-03-12 5:40 PM

So I am probably going to get expelled from the Manatee pod for this Cry but here goes.....

Work has just sucked for the last month and the last week in particular and the next 3 weeks aren't going to get any better. There is no way that I can get in the required training to ensure that I am able to finish at all let alone in under 4 hours. I have been thinking about it for a few days since I hurt my back again and lost more run days.

Then last night DH said that he is planning on racing the night before so that means pit crewing for me so lots of heavy lifting and a very late night (he hasn't raced for so long that I don't want to say that I can't help him out). So that kind of made the decision final.

So my new plan is to change to a full sprint on 7th April and call that the last tri for the season, and then spend some time focusing on my run over the winter and do the 12k run for a reason at the end of May, and the HM at the city to surf at the end of August. Then I will have 12 weeks to work on swim before the Mandurah HIM with the boys and I will have a great base behind me for next tri season.

No way. I think that sounds like a very reasonable decision. I am in favor of reasonable decisions. Even the hard to make ones. 

I say it's better to wait until you are trained well enough and feel confident. 

2013-03-12 6:10 PM
in reply to: #4657286

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Asalzwed - 2013-03-13 7:48 AM

No way. I think that sounds like a very reasonable decision. I am in favor of reasonable decisions. Even the hard to make ones. 

Thanks Salty. Be warned I may well be picking your brain about run training.

I have ordered a couple of Jeff Galloway books because many running people that I have talked to have told me that is where they started and I totally suck, seriously still struggle to run 1k without stopping

Edited by StaceyK 2013-03-12 6:11 PM
2013-03-12 6:11 PM

User image

Elite
StaceyK - 2013-03-13 10:40 AM

You and me both!  I pulled the plug on IM yesterday and finally got a good night's sleep!  I'm doing the swim.  I'm gonna swim with my friend - it's her weakest leg so I thought I'd swim ahead of her give her a draft!

I think I need to really be ready to do this distance.  When I did my HIM last year I was well prepared, I did all the planned training and I enjoyed it all and the race itself.

So next scheduled tri is September 15th HIM.

A few HM's before that no doubt!

Phew relieved!

2013-03-12 6:12 PM
in reply to: #4657306

User image

Elite
StaceyK - 2013-03-13 11:10 AM
Asalzwed - 2013-03-13 7:48 AM

Thanks Salty. Be warned I may well be picking your brain about run training. I have ordered a couple of Jeff Galloway books because many running people that I have talked to have told me that is where they started and I totally suck, seriously still struggle to run 1k without stopping

Jeff Galloway is great - it's like suddenly you have a qualified person saying it's okay to stop and walk!  I love it!

2013-03-12 6:53 PM
in reply to: #4656926

User image

Veteran
Dayton
Asalzwed - 2013-03-12 2:49 PM
jmkizer - 2013-03-12 1:39 PM
Asalzwed - 2013-03-12 2:33 PM

While we are on the fueling topic, I am considering just drinking water/taking gels in Boston. If I skip the sports drink I think at most it will be like 10 calories (and like 1g of carbs) per station x 26, so 260 calories (and that is a high estimate) and 26g of carbs. And that is assuming I took it at every station. I feel like IF it were an issue, I could just take an additional gel or two.

Does anyone see any flaws in my thoughts?

I did the HM with only water and 2 gels and it was no problem at all. 

I would gel ever x miles.  You have a lot more control that way given that you have no idea how they are going to mix the sports drink (as directed?  too much water so weak?).  Besides, you know that it just worked for you. ;-)

Yeah, that too. Mainly it's because it tastes like garbage though. Smile Oh, and avoiding sticky hands.

I like the idea of this as well.  I'll see about doing this for my longer runs.  The closer I get to stay to natural things, the happier I am.

2013-03-12 7:01 PM
in reply to: #4656687

User image

Master
Orlando
ponderingfox - 2013-03-12 11:42 AM
Asalzwed - 2013-03-12 12:23 PM

ponderingfox - 2013-03-12 11:07 AM Maybe I missed this earlier, but I just watched Macca's vid on YouTube about the kit winner, and it's Jo!  

So, are you going to Chicago?

Yeah, I'm going to do Chicago.  I'm very freaked out at the thought of a marathon at the moment, but I'll do it.  A HIM seems less daunting in my mind than a marathon.  Feels very much like jumping off of a cliff.

Congratulations on getting in! You've got plenty of time to train, so no reason to freak out.
2013-03-12 7:07 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Although the Manatee motto is DOOOO Eeeetttt, this seems a very reasonable decision and manatees are known for their reasonableness; so you get to stay in the pod.
2013-03-12 7:20 PM
in reply to: #4657350

User image

Veteran
Dayton
amd723 - 2013-03-12 8:01 PM

ponderingfox - 2013-03-12 11:07 AM Maybe I missed this earlier, but I just watched Macca's vid on YouTube about the kit winner, and it's Jo!  

Yeah, I'm going to do Chicago.  I'm very freaked out at the thought of a marathon at the moment, but I'll do it.  A HIM seems less daunting in my mind than a marathon.  Feels very much like jumping off of a cliff.

Congratulations on getting in! You've got plenty of time to train, so no reason to freak out.

Ah, no.  There are 26.2 reasons to freak out.

2013-03-12 7:22 PM

User image

Veteran
Dayton
StaceyK - 2013-03-12 6:40 PM

No worries, mate.  Take a long term view of triathlon.  You have yeeeeeears to do all the races that you want to do, and to get better.  Props for supporting the DH.  Sounds like he needs it.

2013-03-12 7:31 PM
in reply to: #4657374

User image

Elite
ponderingfox - 2013-03-13 12:20 PM

I'm glad you saw the Macca video!  How funny was that!  The guy in the vid, Aaron is Macca's IT guru, I met him for lunch in New Zealand - he's lovely.

Anyway that was a very nice gift on the weekend, now they wanna know do I want it signed - of course.  And what would I like Macca to write on it - I kept it clean and just his motto, Dream Believe Succeed.

Now a marathon - I've done a couple albeit very slowly.  You will be fine, just follow a solid training plan, execute the plan on race day - BOOM!  You are a marathon finisher.

2013-03-12 7:45 PM
in reply to: #4657374

User image

Master
ponderingfox - 2013-03-12 5:20 PM

Ohhhhh boy! You got in!?!?! Let the planning commence Did you say YES yet?
2013-03-12 7:48 PM
in reply to: #4656888

User image

Master
Central Kansas

Asalzwed - 2013-03-12 1:33 PM

While we are on the fueling topic, I am considering just drinking water/taking gels in Boston. If I skip the sports drink I think at most it will be like 10 calories (and like 1g of carbs) per station x 26, so 260 calories (and that is a high estimate) and 26g of carbs. And that is assuming I took it at every station. I feel like IF it were an issue, I could just take an additional gel or two.

Obviously I have no experience, but I'm trying to figure nutrition out for my Oly, which may take me longer than your marathon, but that's another topic . . .

260 calories for 3 hours of running? Or are you figuring the gels into that number? (I thought they were higher calories.) That seems low compared to what you will burn -- 2500 calories or more, right?

Help me understand, and when I am at my computer and not this pad, I will type out what I am thinking for my race. I need to get some feedback anyway.
2013-03-12 8:28 PM
in reply to: #4657382

User image

Veteran
Dayton
jobaxas - 2013-03-12 8:31 PM
ponderingfox - 2013-03-13 12:20 PM

I'm glad you saw the Macca video!  How funny was that!  The guy in the vid, Aaron is Macca's IT guru, I met him for lunch in New Zealand - he's lovely.

Anyway that was a very nice gift on the weekend, now they wanna know do I want it signed - of course.  And what would I like Macca to write on it - I kept it clean and just his motto, Dream Believe Succeed.

Now a marathon - I've done a couple albeit very slowly.  You will be fine, just follow a solid training plan, execute the plan on race day - BOOM!  You are a marathon finisher.

I thought it was SO funny how he was like, oh, it's Jo. totally a lol moment.

2013-03-12 8:33 PM
in reply to: #4657389

User image

Veteran
Dayton
4agoodlife - 2013-03-12 8:45 PM

I SIGNED UP, aaaaaaaaagh.  Feels like somehow I got pushed over the edge.  But I'll do it!  Initial goal is to run under 4 (shouldn't be hard), target 3:45, and stretch 3:30.  We'll see how the training goes.  It might be a fun goal someday to see if I can qualify for Boston (running under 3:05, yikes!).  We'll see about that.

2013-03-12 9:08 PM
in reply to: #4657393

User image

Seattle
KansasMom - 2013-03-12 7:48 PM

Obviously I have no experience, but I'm trying to figure nutrition out for my Oly, which may take me longer than your marathon, but that's another topic . . .

260 calories for 3 hours of running? Or are you figuring the gels into that number? (I thought they were higher calories.) That seems low compared to what you will burn -- 2500 calories or more, right?

Help me understand, and when I am at my computer and not this pad, I will type out what I am thinking for my race. I need to get some feedback anyway.
No, I am just totaling the potential missed calories from not taking Gatorade. Also, there's no way I would attempt to make up the full calories loss. I can usually take about 500 calories at mOst during a marathon.

2013-03-12 10:05 PM

User image

Master
Salty stalking alert: Race number 10395
2013-03-12 10:16 PM
in reply to: #4657538

User image

Melon Presser

bcraht - 2013-03-13 12:05 PM Salty stalking alert: Race number 10395

Yanti weird-azz alert: that seems a most propitious number to me.

2013-03-12 10:19 PM
in reply to: #4657434

User image

Melon Presser
ponderingfox - 2013-03-13 10:33 AM
4agoodlife - 2013-03-12 8:45 PM

I SIGNED UP, aaaaaaaaagh.  Feels like somehow I got pushed over the edge.  But I'll do it!  Initial goal is to run under 4 (shouldn't be hard), target 3:45, and stretch 3:30.  We'll see how the training goes.  It might be a fun goal someday to see if I can qualify for Boston (running under 3:05, yikes!).  We'll see about that.

Run Forrest Run!

You do have plenty of time. Have fun, don't overdo it, get to the start line in one piece.

2013-03-12 10:22 PM

User image

Elite

Here's me being drawn out of the envelope to win the racing kit....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9bV3_2aFMM&feature=player_embedded

2013-03-12 10:27 PM
in reply to: #4657554

User image

Melon Presser
jobaxas - 2013-03-13 12:22 PM

I am so glad you are smack in the middle of Macca's radar Laughing

Good call on Melbourne. You'll have a blast on the swim! Also remember whatever you decide to do there is no pressure--swim, no swim, start the bike for experience, don't ... your job is to HAVE FUN and CHEER!

P.S. Lovelovelove the new avvie!

Edited by TriAya 2013-03-12 10:28 PM

2013-03-12 10:36 PM
in reply to: #4657561

User image

Elite
TriAya - 2013-03-13 3:27 PM

Good call on Melbourne. You'll have a blast on the swim! Also remember whatever you decide to do there is no pressure--swim, no swim, start the bike for experience, don't ... your job is to HAVE FUN and CHEER!

I am known as a superfan on his site!  I will get on to him shortly re- Cairns.  By hook or by crook....

I'm sick - I have a head cold, like my body said - oh great she's not racing, let's have a rest - no more fighting these germs....we are done.

Madam Artemis now wants to do another tri - April 7th.  The reason she's so keen for this one....is because it's sponsored by Jelly Belly Beans.....

2013-03-12 10:40 PM
in reply to: #4657567

User image

Melon Presser
jobaxas - 2013-03-13 12:36 PM
TriAya - 2013-03-13 3:27 PM

I am known as a superfan on his site!  I will get on to him shortly re- Cairns.  By hook or by crook....

I'm sick - I have a head cold, like my body said - oh great she's not racing, let's have a rest - no more fighting these germs....we are done.

Madam Artemis now wants to do another tri - April 7th.  The reason she's so keen for this one....is because it's sponsored by Jelly Belly Beans.....

Well, Artemis clearly has her priorities in order! Triathlons sponsored by food--WIN. Yes, I had my Nutri Grain for brekkie

Oh dear. Warm healing {MELON PRESS}

Now that I'm not racing either, I am RIDICULOUSLY tired.

2013-03-12 11:25 PM
in reply to: #4657478

User image

Master
Central Kansas

Asalzwed - 2013-03-12 9:08 PM

No, I am just totaling the potential missed calories from not taking Gatorade. Also, there's no way I would attempt to make up the full calories loss. I can usually take about 500 calories at mOst during a marathon.

Sheesh. Okay. Now I understand. 500 sounds reasonable. I know you can't possibly or healthfully eat back all of those calories while running, but in my misunderstanding of what you were saying, I did 't see how 250 was going to get you very far.

I am still going to write up my nutrition plan, but I find myself with my touch pad again. :-(
2013-03-13 12:35 AM
in reply to: #4657600

User image

Seattle
KansasMom - 2013-03-12 11:25 PM

Asalzwed - 2013-03-12 9:08 PM

Sheesh. Okay. Now I understand. 500 sounds reasonable. I know you can't possibly or healthfully eat back all of those calories while running, but in my misunderstanding of what you were saying, I did 't see how 250 was going to get you very far.

I am still going to write up my nutrition plan, but I find myself with my touch pad again. :-(
Heh, you and me both hence the random capital O.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mental Manatee Mentors Part 3--CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 85