BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) --Always Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 31

2021-06-10 4:06 AM
in reply to: sappho96

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) --Always Open
Originally posted by sappho96

Originally posted by bulfrog
Originally posted by jmhpsu93 @Sappho and Andrew - your discussions about rugby and cricket crack me up.  I have NO idea what your'e talking about.  
We're talking about a game that lasts 5 days, often ends in a draw, and has a daily break for afternoon tea. It doesn't get more fast passed action than that. Haha.

And cannot be played if it rains; and yet created in a country where it rains a LOT!

I remember trying to watch a test match once when I lived in England... I think I fell asleep....

The highlights are fun to watch though

2 short swims and one even shorter bike ride this week (in between golf rounds). I am slowly getting back into it

2021-06-10 5:54 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

Originally posted by jmhpsu93 @Sappho and Andrew - your discussions about rugby and cricket crack me up.  I have NO idea what your'e talking about.  
We're talking about a game that lasts 5 days, often ends in a draw, and has a daily break for afternoon tea. It doesn't get more fast passed action than that. Haha.

And cannot be played if it rains; and yet created in a country where it rains a LOT!

My old roommate is British and super into cricket. For these games he is either listening or watching it at all times. He's tried to explain the rules to me but it's still pretty far over my head.
2021-06-10 5:56 AM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Just got back from a 4 mile run. Felt good. Was a bit distracted b/c there was an annular eclipse this morning I was trying to see, but unfortunately once it got high enough to be over the buildings, it was covered by clouds Got me out of bed though!
2021-06-10 9:32 AM

User image

Expert
HI All:

Thursday is still here and I am still struggling to make the bus go... The truth is that things are still incredibly rocky with my ex and while I won't go into details of what's happening, things have gotten so bad that I'm about to call Child Protected Services on my ex. So yea, I have a really good excuse. But with that said, my marathon with my son is not going to run itself in 16 weeks. I need to start training so I can make this happen with him.

So today, I'm gonna pledge to you all that I will go out on a bikeride of at least 45 minutes and if I don't I'll give myself the ultimate Coors Lite Penalty - I'll drink a warm 40 of the Silver Bullet before I can drink anything good. Hopefully the threat of something that tastes like cat pee will get me motivated as it did in the old days.

Thanks again for all the support. I really appreciate it!

I hope your training is going well and you are enjoying the beers you drink to reward yourself for your efforts.

DQ
2021-06-10 4:58 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Originally posted by nicole14e

My old roommate is British and super into cricket. For these games he is either listening or watching it at all times. He's tried to explain the rules to me but it's still pretty far over my head.

Well for those playing along at home, after the winning the toss England are 258 for the loss of 7. Burns top scored with 87 and Lawrence a fighting rear guard effort unbeaten on 67. For NZ Boult and Henry both took 2 wickets, but looks like England will regret not playing a spinner with Patel being the pick of the bowlers, figures of 2 for 34 from 14. Kiwis with our noses in front after day 1. But not by a lot and with 4 days to play.

And believe it or not, but that all makes perfect sense.
2021-06-10 5:02 PM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Originally posted by Qua17

HI All:

Thursday is still here ...

I hope your training is going well and you are enjoying the beers you drink to reward yourself for your efforts.

DQ

Hi DQ, sorry to hear things continue to be tough. Keep your head up as best you can, and remember that sooner or later the dramas with your ex will b over. All things end eventually. Tough it out as best you can, you'll get through it. I really do feel for you.

In happier talking points, when is your Marathon? I'm about 16 weeks out from race 1 of my half marathon series. It's 3 October. as you're 16 weeks out that lines up pretty nicely if you want to work together for some mutual accountability?

2021-06-10 5:08 PM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Well it has been a tough week for me too. Our little miss struggled with her bug, and got quite sick earlier in the week. We actually spent most of Tuesday in the children's emergency department at hospital. The good news is she is getting over it, and is a much happier little girl now than early in the week.

How this effects training... well I've done 1 foam rolling session and 0 runs in 5 days.

Looking to do a couple of runs on the weekend. Hopefully 1 longer one, up to an hour.

Have a good weekend everyone.
2021-06-11 12:26 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

, Kronobergs lan

Well for those playing along at home, after the winning the toss England are 258 for the loss of 7. Burns top scored with 87 and Lawrence a fighting rear guard effort unbeaten on 67. For NZ Boult and Henry both took 2 wickets, but looks like England will regret not playing a spinner with Patel being the pick of the bowlers, figures of 2 for 34 from 14. Kiwis with our noses in front after day 1. But not by a lot and with 4 days to play.

Haha! You used big words on purpose but I think I got it!

Sorry to hear about your daughter but glad she is better now.

Dave, my Thoughts are with you. What a mess! Don’t put too much pressure on yourself, you will finish that marathon, I know that, does’nt matter how slow you are.

Played my best round so far yesterday and moved one up on the leader board, 2 pars and..... oh, sorry, is it not the golf forum?

SBR wise I will have done all 3 this week, if I run tomorrow, (getting my first covid shot today so I don’t know if I’ll get any side effects).

Only one hour in total (2 swims and one ride, @ 20 min each) but that’s a start.

Edited by Rollergirl 2021-06-11 12:27 AM
2021-06-11 3:26 AM

User image

Master
brummie land

Well for those playing along at home, after the winning the toss England are 258 for the loss of 7. Burns top scored with 87 and Lawrence a fighting rear guard effort unbeaten on 67. For NZ Boult and Henry both took 2 wickets, but looks like England will regret not playing a spinner with Patel being the pick of the bowlers, figures of 2 for 34 from 14. Kiwis with our noses in front after day 1. But not by a lot and with 4 days to play. And believe it or not, but that all makes perfect sense.

Yes it does!

2021-06-11 6:26 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by Rollergirl Haha! You used big words on purpose but I think I got it! Sorry to hear about your daughter but glad she is better now. Dave, my Thoughts are with you. What a mess! Don’t put too much pressure on yourself, you will finish that marathon, I know that, does’nt matter how slow you are. Played my best round so far yesterday and moved one up on the leader board, 2 pars and..... oh, sorry, is it not the golf forum? SBR wise I will have done all 3 this week, if I run tomorrow, (getting my first covid shot today so I don’t know if I’ll get any side effects). Only one hour in total (2 swims and one ride, @ 20 min each) but that’s a start.

Nice work, Nathalie.  I used to be a decent golfer, around a 14 handicap.  Life (a child) and then my back injury have prevented me from playing much, but this winter I played nine holes down in Florida.  First hole:  3-wood right down the middle, 9-iron to about 15 feet, lipped out a birdie putt for a tap-in par...THIS IS EASY!!  That was the last par of the nine holes LOL and I shot a 52.  Strange game.

And for all you non-golfers, the only people that will talk about themselves and their sport more than triathletes are golfers. 

Edited by jmhpsu93 2021-06-11 6:27 AM
2021-06-11 6:41 AM

User image

Expert

HI All:

DQ

Hi DQ, sorry to hear things continue to be tough. Keep your head up as best you can, and remember that sooner or later the dramas with your ex will b over. All things end eventually. Tough it out as best you can, you'll get through it. I really do feel for you.

In happier talking points, when is your Marathon? I'm about 16 weeks out from race 1 of my half marathon series. It's 3 October. as you're 16 weeks out that lines up pretty nicely if you want to work together for some mutual accountability?

Morning Andrew: I can run the marathon at any time between October 8 and the 10th, so I would love to have some mutual accountability. This place is great for that and I appreciate the offer. I have accomplished many things thanks to the members of this crew and with your help, we'll bag Boston and your October 3 race this year.

What did you have in mind for accounbtibility. I can't do everything at once - I need to focus on one thing at a time or else I overloaded. Maybe the first thing we can work on is nutrition because I just at a glazed stick donut while I typed this (sorry no guilt here - that sucker was good). But I also need to create a solid training schedule for myself so I can train without getting injured. Right now, I'm just focusing on day to day so I don't get overwhelmed but I need to put a plan in place to get me to the start line.

2021-06-11 6:54 AM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

Expert
Originally posted by Rollergirl

Dave, my Thoughts are with you. What a mess! Don’t put too much pressure on yourself, you will finish that marathon, I know that, does’nt matter how slow you are.

Thanks so much Nathalie. My ex and I currently have a cease-fire but she still is not budging from continuing to live with our daughter in the same small room so our two sons can have rooms of their own. Luckily, I have spoken to the people at Child Protective Services who have told me that having a minor (my 12 year old daughter) living with an adult when there is another rooming option available is unacceptable and if I call them they will come in and insist on a change. I see this as a nuclear option and would like to spare my kids from having to answer questions about their mother. So, I've enlisted the help of my daughter's therapist to try to talk some sense into my wife and I hope that works. If it doesn't, then when the boys return to college and there are two empty rooms available, I will then be forced to call CPS and have them force a change. I'm also going to put pressure on the boarding school to move her to a better apartment. They have known she has been sharing a room since they moved in and have done nothing despite the fact that they are all educators and must realize the damage my wife is doing to my daughter's ability to make her way through the world without her mother stepping in. Sorry for opening the door to you all but this is my fight right now and the stress of it really gets in the way of my exercise. I need to reembrace the idea of going out for a ride or a walk to relieve tension like I used to do back in the day. If I can do that, I should be ok.

Thanks so much for the support!

2021-06-11 7:07 AM

User image

Expert
Just a quick update before I dive into job applications... I came home determined to avoid the Coors light penalty. But I got caught up in family excitement (my girlfriend's daughter was going to senior prom and I'm the family photographer) and it looked like the ride was in doubt because I had dinner plus a haircut scheduled and a zoom meeting with my fraternity brothers for later in the evening. Again - avoiding the Coors Light Penalty like the plague - I decided that the haircut could wait for another day (not many because my sideburns are so bushy you could braid them) and so I raced out to get my ride in before dinner. It was a beautiful ride on a perfectly crisp New England day. Temps were in the mid 70s and the humidity was low. So there I was, on the bike path pedaling along when all of a sudden another biker starts to pass me quickly. I looked to my left expecting a young stud with a bike that is worth more than my car but was shocked to realize that not only had I been chicked but I'd gotten passed by a woman who had at least 10 years on me. And she didn't just cruize by. No instead she stuck a knife in my confidence by zooming off and leaving me in her dust. I'll get her one of these days - when she is 80 and I am 70. Then I will have my revenge

The plan for today is for a 45 minute walk when I get home from school. Coors light penalty is in effect.

Have a great day everyone! Enjoy your sport and your beer!

DQ
2021-06-11 1:12 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

Just a quick update before I dive into job applications... I came home determined to avoid the Coors light penalty. But I got caught up in family excitement (my girlfriend's daughter was going to senior prom and I'm the family photographer) and it looked like the ride was in doubt because I had dinner plus a haircut scheduled and a zoom meeting with my fraternity brothers for later in the evening. Again - avoiding the Coors Light Penalty like the plague - I decided that the haircut could wait for another day (not many because my sideburns are so bushy you could braid them) and so I raced out to get my ride in before dinner. It was a beautiful ride on a perfectly crisp New England day. Temps were in the mid 70s and the humidity was low. So there I was, on the bike path pedaling along when all of a sudden another biker starts to pass me quickly. I looked to my left expecting a young stud with a bike that is worth more than my car but was shocked to realize that not only had I been chicked but I'd gotten passed by a woman who had at least 10 years on me. And she didn't just cruize by. No instead she stuck a knife in my confidence by zooming off and leaving me in her dust. I'll get her one of these days - when she is 80 and I am 70. Then I will have my revenge

The plan for today is for a 45 minute walk when I get home from school. Coors light penalty is in effect.

Have a great day everyone! Enjoy your sport and your beer!

DQ

Yesssssss!!! Nice work on getting it in! Looks like the CLP is gonna be your best motivation again
2021-06-11 1:14 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
I took the morning off to rest my legs. I have football playoffs tomorrow and vball playoffs Monday, and am going to play some vball Sunday. Gonna try to squeeze in a long run Sunday morning.

I hope everyone has a lovely weekend filled with lots of awesome training!
2021-06-11 3:50 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Originally posted by Rollergirl Haha! You used big words on purpose but I think I got it! Sorry to hear about your daughter but glad she is better now. Dave, my Thoughts are with you. What a mess! Don’t put too much pressure on yourself, you will finish that marathon, I know that, does’nt matter how slow you are. Played my best round so far yesterday and moved one up on the leader board, 2 pars and..... oh, sorry, is it not the golf forum? SBR wise I will have done all 3 this week, if I run tomorrow, (getting my first covid shot today so I don’t know if I’ll get any side effects). Only one hour in total (2 swims and one ride, @ 20 min each) but that’s a start.

Nice work, Nathalie.  I used to be a decent golfer, around a 14 handicap.  Life (a child) and then my back injury have prevented me from playing much, but this winter I played nine holes down in Florida.  First hole:  3-wood right down the middle, 9-iron to about 15 feet, lipped out a birdie putt for a tap-in par...THIS IS EASY!!  That was the last par of the nine holes LOL and I shot a 52.  Strange game.

And for all you non-golfers, the only people that will talk about themselves and their sport more than triathletes are golfers. 

Thanks, been playing for more years that I’d like to admit and still play off 27. In my defense, playing one round a year is not the way to get better. This year is different, been playing 27 holes every week (9 during the week and 18 at the weekend) and practicing 2 hours on top of that. Yesterday it paid off. Probably will be back to my usual mediocre level next time.
Haha cool story, that’s the beauty of golf!

2021-06-13 5:48 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Golf is a sport that needs to be played all the time, or not at all.

At least that's my experience. We can all go and absolutely nail a drive off the tee, as good as a pro. And then slice the next dozen shots all over the course. It's the most frustrating thing to know that you are capable of playing well, but just lack the mental ability to do it consistently. This is based on my vast golfing experience of playing the 9 hole course by our family beach house 1 or 2 times a summer.

We had a good weekend, with the little mans birthday party on Saturday. 10 4 year old's makes for a mad house, but it was worth it. I don't think I've ever seen him so excited, which was lovely to see. And the party was followed by a very, very big sleep. So that's a double win.

Training? Well other than a couple of foam rolling sessions, 0 for the week. Sick girl, followed by party, followed by tired parents... Just didn't happen.

I have however started the week on the right track with a 40 minute easy run before work. Long may that continue.
2021-06-13 6:07 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island

Morning Andrew: I can run the marathon at any time between October 8 and the 10th, so I would love to have some mutual accountability. This place is great for that and I appreciate the offer. I have accomplished many things thanks to the members of this crew and with your help, we'll bag Boston and your October 3 race this year.

What did you have in mind for accounbtibility. I can't do everything at once - I need to focus on one thing at a time or else I overloaded. Maybe the first thing we can work on is nutrition because I just at a glazed stick donut while I typed this (sorry no guilt here - that sucker was good). But I also need to create a solid training schedule for myself so I can train without getting injured. Right now, I'm just focusing on day to day so I don't get overwhelmed but I need to put a plan in place to get me to the start line.

Hi DQ. Well the 8th and 10th is the week after my half. But for a full marathon you'll be doing a longer taper than me, so training will pretty much line up perfectly. For me, this week is prep and next week I'm starting my training plan. Its an 80:20 running plan, 15 weeks long. (I will be modifying it a bit to work in with life as we go tho)

What do you think would work for you for accountability? I would say something like a Sunday evening/Monday morning post publicly stating our goals for the week. Nutritional (which I also have to work on, 12lbs up from Ironman ) and the training plan for the week. We can then stalk each other online and make sure we're doing the best we can to achieve those goals.

For nutrition, I want to use myfitness pal more. In the past, when I've logged everything, and hit my targets, I've always lost weight. So I know it works. I'm following you there, and I see your workouts. But your diary is locked. If you unlock it, and agree to log everything we eat we can follow up on each other there for our nutrition.

For following workouts, are you on strava? You said you've started using your Garmin again. So if you sync that with Strava it's a great way to keep up with what each other is doing. My starva is in my signature line here, if you follow me I'll follow you back, and promise many kudos and encouragement.

Does that sound good to you? Or if you want to try something different let me know. Happy to do whatever.

All that said. My goals for the week:

Nutrition
1. Log everything every day.
2. Average under 2000 Cal/day for the week
Training
1. 5-6 runs this week
2. 3-4 hours total running.
3. 10+ foam roll/stretching sessions for the week.
2021-06-14 1:07 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan

It's the most frustrating thing to know that you are capable of playing well, but just lack the mental ability to do it consistently.

Well, not just the mental ability, you need to practice to get consistent. I see it this year. Previously, I hit one good shot in 10 and the rest would be all over the place (usually 20 meters in front). After only a few weeks putting in the hours, I would say I am up to 9 decent shots/10 (including at least 4 or 5 good ones).

Which of course makes it much more fun, and keeping me from training SBR, so nothing to report on that front (did you see that smooth transition? I guess there is still a triathlete in me.... )

2021-06-14 7:41 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Football playoffs happened Saturday, we lost game 2 (semis), so that was a bummer. My vball got rained out yesterday. I tried to get a long run in, but my body said "nope!" and I had to turn around early to (barely) make it home to the bathroom. I didn't have a mask to go in a business (we're still mandated in the city). So got in 4 miles, but need to get a long run in this week now. Gonna wait until after vball playoffs (first round) tonight.

Andrew, I am totally down for the weekly goals. See below for mine:

Nutrition
1. Log everything every day. (I use an app called Lose It! that I really like)
2. I am starting a 3 day juice cleanse this morning to reset. So my goal is to stick to it. The biggest challenge will be axes Wednesday, when we are having a Pride themed pot luck...
3. Once the cleanse ends, make my own meals for the remainder of the week/eat clean.
Training
1. 3-4 runs this week, including a long (60 minute) run
2. Try to get to swim practice Saturday morning - first one since before Covid
3. Do all my PT every day and do yoga (at least 20 minutes) twice

This might be too much, but I'd like to make it happen, so here goes nothing!
2021-06-15 4:59 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan

Football playoffs happened Saturday, we lost game 2 (semis), so that was a bummer. My vball got rained out yesterday. I tried to get a long run in, but my body said "nope!" and I had to turn around early to (barely) make it home to the bathroom. I didn't have a mask to go in a business (we're still mandated in the city). So got in 4 miles, but need to get a long run in this week now. Gonna wait until after vball playoffs (first round) tonight.

Andrew, I am totally down for the weekly goals. See below for mine:

Nutrition
1. Log everything every day. (I use an app called Lose It! that I really like)
2. I am starting a 3 day juice cleanse this morning to reset. So my goal is to stick to it. The biggest challenge will be axes Wednesday, when we are having a Pride themed pot luck...
3. Once the cleanse ends, make my own meals for the remainder of the week/eat clean.
Training
1. 3-4 runs this week, including a long (60 minute) run
2. Try to get to swim practice Saturday morning - first one since before Covid
3. Do all my PT every day and do yoga (at least 20 minutes) twice

This might be too much, but I'd like to make it happen, so here goes nothing!

yeah, I'm in too!

1. log everything (myfitnesspal)
2. one run one swim one bike one strength session per week, the rest of the time, I am allowed to play golf (3 times/week)

2021-06-15 8:46 AM

User image

Expert

HI All:

DQ

Andrew - I would totally love to pair up with you as we both train for our marathon. I still have two weeks of walking before I start adding running minutes to my daily walk. So yes - lets pair up and hold each other accountable. How would you like to work it?
2021-06-15 8:55 AM

User image

Expert

Hi DQ. Well the 8th and 10th is the week after my half. But for a full marathon you'll be doing a longer taper than me, so training will pretty much line up perfectly. For me, this week is prep and next week I'm starting my training plan. Its an 80:20 running plan, 15 weeks long. (I will be modifying it a bit to work in with life as we go tho)

What do you think would work for you for accountability? I would say something like a Sunday evening/Monday morning post publicly stating our goals for the week. Nutritional (which I also have to work on, 12lbs up from Ironman ) and the training plan for the week. We can then stalk each other online and make sure we're doing the best we can to achieve those goals.

For nutrition, I want to use myfitness pal more. In the past, when I've logged everything, and hit my targets, I've always lost weight. So I know it works. I'm following you there, and I see your workouts. But your diary is locked. If you unlock it, and agree to log everything we eat we can follow up on each other there for our nutrition.

For following workouts, are you on strava? You said you've started using your Garmin again. So if you sync that with Strava it's a great way to keep up with what each other is doing. My starva is in my signature line here, if you follow me I'll follow you back, and promise many kudos and encouragement.

Does that sound good to you? Or if you want to try something different let me know. Happy to do whatever.

All that said. My goals for the week:

Nutrition
1. Log everything every day.
2. Average under 2000 Cal/day for the week
Training
1. 5-6 runs this week
2. 3-4 hours total running.
3. 10+ foam roll/stretching sessions for the week.

Andrew: Sorry just saw this post. I am all in. I have to go teach in 7 minutes but let me just jot down my goals for the rest of the week:

Nutrition
Not gonna log this week because it's hard with all that's going on with the end of the school year - it's a crazy week.
I am gonna try to find foods that soothe my burning mouth syndrome other than eating a pint of Hagendaz ice cream every night.

Training
5 walks of 30-45 minutes
4 rides - 3 of 1 hour, 1 of 1.5 hours

I'm gonna start nice and easy. Off to go tutor a 3rd grader. Thanks for the accountability Andrew!
2021-06-15 11:56 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Got in an o-dark-thirty workout this morning at the gym.  Up at 4:50 AM, ugh I'm going to crash later. 

2021-06-15 10:45 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
So far my week has not gone to plan.

After a good Monday, we had very heavy rain Tuesday morning, so I decided to make it a non run day. And today I slept through my alarm, so missed my run. So I'm behind schedule here.

I have foam rolled after every run, and before bed every night tho. On track for this one.

Logging, I have logged pretty well. But I have not been hitting my target. Logging is good, but planning is better. I need to do more of that.

Nicole: Nice set of goals for the week. Good luck with your juice cleanse. How's the training coming?

Nathalie: What is your myfitnesspal user name? I'm bulfrognz if you want to follow each other there.

DQ: Good luck tutoring a 3rd grader. Rather you than me. I count 9 workouts there on your goals list. Whilst that's admirable you have been struggling with consistency. Make sure your goals are something achievable. Otherwise you may be setting yourself up for disappointment if you don't make it.

Maybe a minimum goal, and stretch goal would be a good idea? Say minimum 3 x 30 min walks. Stretch goal 5 x 45 min. Minimum of 2 bikes, 1 hour each. stretch 4, at 1 - 1.5 hours?

Of course I look forward to you nailing all your workouts and proving me wrong
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) --Always Open Rss Feed  

of 31