Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
Subject: RE: swbkrun with us!!! - Closed
fattyfatfat - 2011-03-08 2:04 PM
SSMinnow - 2011-03-08 12:06 PM
dalessit - 2011-03-08 10:58 AM
SSMinnow - 2011-03-08 11:40 AM
dalessit - 2011-03-08 10:07 AM
SSMinnow - 2011-03-08 10:50 AM

Looks like a healthy round of banter started quite early this morning!

Time for a serious question, how do people keep track of intervals while running outside? Today I had this 4x and then 8x and both had multiple steps within each.....I was on the TM so found a method that worked, but am wondering what to do in the great outdoors!!!!

I create a workout on my garmin, it gives me a 5 count in beeps when I need to switch and keeps track of time in each interval.  If you do it through the garmin center you can nest intervals and such. 

I used to do that when intervals were simple, but how would you handle this and still know if you were on X or Y pace?

8 X (15'' @ X:00/mile pace + 1' easy run + 30'' @ Y:00/mile pace + 90'' easy run)

For pace I normally just look at my watch.  Each step of an interval would be considered a lap so if you have lap pace showing as a field you can look down and see what pace you are running for that interval.  When the interval changes the lap pace resets.

or are you looking for an alarm to let you know when you are over/under pace?

No alarm for over or under, but my wish would be I would have something tell me the pace I am supposed to run for that part of the interval.  I guess what I am struggling with is within on set having multiple paces to work towards.  I'll look at my Garmin and try to refresh my memory on how to set it up.  Used to do it a long time ago, when I was a pace trainer with Lowell, but got totally out if it with Steve and now here I am again with Brett.....argh, in a good way.

here's your workout from above.   i think there is a way to specify time rather than zone, but either way, it you can use gtc, just might need to adjust zones.....   now, if the workout is pretty detailed, it might get old inputting the the info.  but you can also save workouts and reuse.

YOU"RE THE MAN!  I totally remember building those when I was a runner way back when....going to try it next week.

Now, how can you help me with my swimming.....

2011-03-08 2:31 PM
in reply to: #3388717

User image

Expert
Portland, OR
SSMinnow - 2011-03-08 2:00 PM
SoccerGK - 2011-03-08 12:42 PM

Went to a local running store today (thanks to Dave's recommendation!), and I ended up with...

*drumroll please*

Brooks Trance 10s!  Laughing

The guy at the store was looking at my feet and looking at me walk and looking at my old shoes, and was like "um...I would NEVER recommend you running in a pair of Nikes.  As a matter of fact, I don't even recommend you continue running in your Brooks Adrenalines!"  (I'm a major pronator)  So I kept insisting the Nikes, and he was having a really tough time even deciding which one would be better, so in the mean time, I tried on the Trances, and they felt WONDERFUL.  I couldn't leave the store without them.  So I didn't!  He recommended that I buy a pair of Nike's Equalons for next semester and ONLY wear them when I'm running on their campus.  Other than that, stick to Trances.  So the plan is to buy a pair of those on my first day there with the employee discount and go from there.

2 things though:  (1) one of his first comments to me was about how WIDE my feet are.  Now, I know that's his job and all, but I've never owned wide shoes.  Made me feel a little bit self-conscious about my feet!  They're already ugly, and now they're wide, too!  (2) He also told me how I have very big legs.  Gee, thanks...  If anything, just gave me a little more motivation to keep losing my darn soccer legs.  

Other than that, he was super helpful and knew his stuff.  And he got me to buy $140 shoes from him, so there ya go... 

First, those legs powered you and will continue to power you to do great things! Tell him to F-O!

Second, I thought you needed to wear NIKEs.  While I don't like NIKEs because my feet are also fatties, my doctor strongly recommended against using them.  He thought they were not constructed well and his daughter ran for Stanford! I do worry a little about you not using them purely from a business perspective.  When I worked internal at Kimberly Clark and SC Johnson, I would not have dreamed of publicly buying a P&G product.  May have gotten fired.  How are you going to handle that part?

Well, if I work out on campus, I'll have to wear NIKEs, no doubt.  He told me I could wear their Equalons if I wasn't running long distances in them.  So I'm going to wait 'til I get to campus and buy a pair of those with my discount (like 60% off) then I will do my shorter runs during the week in those.  He was legitimately worried about me training for any distance event in NIKEs because they just can't compare to other running shoes and I pronate a lot.  He said even their NIKE rep hates their shoes.  This guy comes highly recommended, too, so I trust what he has to say.  Basically, I will be a closet Brooks wearer.  Nobody on campus will ever see me in non-NIKE shoes... at least that's the plan.  I just don't know if I should risk my injuries flaring up again.

2011-03-08 2:43 PM
in reply to: #3388767

User image

Champion
marietta
SSMinnow - 2011-03-08 3:25 PM

YOU"RE THE MAN!  I totally remember building those when I was a runner way back when....going to try it next week.

Now, how can you help me with my swimming.....

ha!  i was just playing off tony's thoughts.   if you run into any issues with setting them up, post em'. 

swimming... moonlight skinny dipping in tennesee works best.  you and the hippy can mud wrestle first!!!!!  she is a movie star now... ;-)

2011-03-08 3:31 PM
in reply to: #3388775

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
SoccerGK - 2011-03-08 1:31 PM

Went to a local running store today (thanks to Dave's recommendation!), and I ended up with...

*drumroll please*

The guy at the store was looking at my feet and looking at me walk and looking at my old shoes, and was like "um...I would NEVER recommend you running in a pair of Nikes.  As a matter of fact, I don't even recommend you continue running in your Brooks Adrenalines!"  (I'm a major pronator)  So I kept insisting the Nikes, and he was having a really tough time even deciding which one would be better, so in the mean time, I tried on the Trances, and they felt WONDERFUL.  I couldn't leave the store without them.  So I didn't!  He recommended that I buy a pair of Nike's Equalons for next semester and ONLY wear them when I'm running on their campus.  Other than that, stick to Trances.  So the plan is to buy a pair of those on my first day there with the employee discount and go from there.

2 things though:  (1) one of his first comments to me was about how WIDE my feet are.  Now, I know that's his job and all, but I've never owned wide shoes.  Made me feel a little bit self-conscious about my feet!  They're already ugly, and now they're wide, too!  (2) He also told me how I have very big legs.  Gee, thanks...  If anything, just gave me a little more motivation to keep losing my darn soccer legs.  

Other than that, he was super helpful and knew his stuff.  And he got me to buy $140 shoes from him, so there ya go... 

First, those legs powered you and will continue to power you to do great things! Tell him to F-O!

Second, I thought you needed to wear NIKEs.  While I don't like NIKEs because my feet are also fatties, my doctor strongly recommended against using them.  He thought they were not constructed well and his daughter ran for Stanford! I do worry a little about you not using them purely from a business perspective.  When I worked internal at Kimberly Clark and SC Johnson, I would not have dreamed of publicly buying a P&G product.  May have gotten fired.  How are you going to handle that part?

Well, if I work out on campus, I'll have to wear NIKEs, no doubt.  He told me I could wear their Equalons if I wasn't running long distances in them.  So I'm going to wait 'til I get to campus and buy a pair of those with my discount (like 60% off) then I will do my shorter runs during the week in those.  He was legitimately worried about me training for any distance event in NIKEs because they just can't compare to other running shoes and I pronate a lot.  He said even their NIKE rep hates their shoes.  This guy comes highly recommended, too, so I trust what he has to say.  Basically, I will be a closet Brooks wearer.  Nobody on campus will ever see me in non-NIKE shoes... at least that's the plan.  I just don't know if I should risk my injuries flaring up again.

Question for you -- orthotics? If you are that severe would orthotics help?

This response brought to you by a Brooks Glycerin wearer!

Edited by TrevorC 2011-03-08 3:32 PM
2011-03-08 3:42 PM
in reply to: #3386666

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
SSMinnow - 2011-03-07 2:28 PM

Doug--your wife is a gem!  It sounds like you had a great 50th!

Tracy-I've been thinking about your nutritional issue.  When you said you bonked, does that mean you feel you totally depleted your glycogen stores? or you were sick to your stomach?  Kind of perplexed how you could bonk in that amount of time and am wondering if maybe you are still recovering from being sick a while ago????

My abdominals and lower back muscles locked up and I had ZERO energy.  I burped a few times thinking that might help, even seriously considered making myself hurl, but I never had that kind of tummy issue.  I literally felt like I'd been run over by a truck.  I don't know if it is from being sick earlier since I've had several stressful workouts post sickness and I've been okay.   Thanks for anyones and everyones thoughts on the matter.  I'll take any advise I can get.

Speaking of asking for help I have 2 questions for the ladies....

1) What saddle is everyone riding?  I have a Terry Butterfly on my road bike and and looking for a saddle on the tri bike.  Since my re-fitting it is extremely painful on my sit bones.  The saddle feels rock hard.  Any suggestions?

2) My coach recommended the cream Noxzema as a cheap chamois cream. However I wonder if the possible "internal " use of this product would cause a problem if you know what I mean.  It may be okay for boys but the girls are built a little differently.  Thoughts?

2011-03-08 3:52 PM
in reply to: #3388920

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
tahrens - 2011-03-08 2:42 PM

Tracy-I've been thinking about your nutritional issue.  When you said you bonked, does that mean you feel you totally depleted your glycogen stores? or you were sick to your stomach?  Kind of perplexed how you could bonk in that amount of time and am wondering if maybe you are still recovering from being sick a while ago????

My abdominals and lower back muscles locked up and I had ZERO energy.  I burped a few times thinking that might help, even seriously considered making myself hurl, but I never had that kind of tummy issue.  I literally felt like I'd been run over by a truck.  I don't know if it is from being sick earlier since I've had several stressful workouts post sickness and I've been okay.   Thanks for anyones and everyones thoughts on the matter.  I'll take any advise I can get.

1) What saddle is everyone riding?  I have a Terry Butterfly on my road bike and and looking for a saddle on the tri bike.  Since my re-fitting it is extremely painful on my sit bones.  The saddle feels rock hard.  Any suggestions?

2) My coach recommended the cream Noxzema as a cheap chamois cream. However I wonder if the possible "internal " use of this product would cause a problem if you know what I mean.  It may be okay for boys but the girls are built a little differently.  Thoughts?

I am immature. But on a positive note, I censored myself, and will not respond.

John - Email coming you're way, with my real response!

2011-03-08 3:54 PM
in reply to: #3388775

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
SoccerGK - 2011-03-08 3:31 PM

*drumroll please*

Another thought, along the lines of Trevor's comment, can you get fitted for orthodics and then replace the soles in your NIKES so no one knows?  My coach recommeded this technique so I can buy cheaper and lighter running shoes and keep the support I need for my pronation.  He said that is how most of the pros get around having to wear certain brands.

I'm curious to see how your Brooks hold up for you.  My hubby and I both started off in them but switched b/c the soles either detached from the shoes or went completely flat after a few months.  I'm glad they work for you, nothing beats comfortable feet.

And being told you have funky feet is the perfect excuse to go get a pedicure Kiss  I like to have nail art put on my big toes just to make me feel special.  Go have some fun with your feet.  

2011-03-08 3:57 PM
in reply to: #3388941

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
TrevorC - 2011-03-08 4:52 PM

I am not talking about KY or any such product you boys.  Help me out ladies, this is a real problem.  And you boys won't laugh so much when your women close shop for a while due to lady issues. 

2011-03-08 4:00 PM
in reply to: #3256813

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada

http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=192865

Seriously though....

check this thread out. I searched Noxema on the site and found this.

2011-03-08 4:06 PM
in reply to: #3388955

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
TrevorC - 2011-03-08 5:00 PM

http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=192865

Seriously though....

check this thread out. I searched Noxema on the site and found this.

Thanks Trevor.  That was my next stop but you just made my life easier.  Cheers.

2011-03-08 4:09 PM
in reply to: #3388950

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
tahrens - 2011-03-08 2:57 PM

I am not talking about KY or any such product you boys.  Help me out ladies, this is a real problem.  And you boys won't laugh so much when your women close shop for a while due to lady issues. 

I guess i would have to take my business elsewhere

2011-03-08 4:49 PM
in reply to: #3388943

User image

Expert
Portland, OR
tahrens - 2011-03-08 3:54 PM

*drumroll please*

Another thought, along the lines of Trevor's comment, can you get fitted for orthodics and then replace the soles in your NIKES so no one knows?  My coach recommeded this technique so I can buy cheaper and lighter running shoes and keep the support I need for my pronation.  He said that is how most of the pros get around having to wear certain brands.

I'm curious to see how your Brooks hold up for you.  My hubby and I both started off in them but switched b/c the soles either detached from the shoes or went completely flat after a few months.  I'm glad they work for you, nothing beats comfortable feet.

And being told you have funky feet is the perfect excuse to go get a pedicure Kiss  I like to have nail art put on my big toes just to make me feel special.  Go have some fun with your feet.  

^^^These are BOTH awesome ideas!  How much do orthotics usually cost?  Who do I go see for them?  I especially like the pedicure idea...my poor toe-sies could use one!  Wonder if Ryan would go for it?

Plus, I can still always end up going with some NIKEs before I move.  I wear my shoes out after about 300-350 miles, so I should hit that easily before I go to Portland.  Especially if I start training for the Portland marathon on October 9.  I would be bummed to do this race because I wouldn't have anybody there to watch me Cry, but it would work out REALLY well with my training schedule this summer.  What say ye, MG?

2011-03-08 6:28 PM
in reply to: #3389039

User image

Master
SoccerGK - 2011-03-08 2:49 PM
tahrens - 2011-03-08 3:54 PM

*drumroll please*

^^^These are BOTH awesome ideas!  How much do orthotics usually cost?  Who do I go see for them?  I especially like the pedicure idea...my poor toe-sies could use one!  Wonder if Ryan would go for it?

Plus, I can still always end up going with some NIKEs before I move.  I wear my shoes out after about 300-350 miles, so I should hit that easily before I go to Portland.  Especially if I start training for the Portland marathon on October 9.  I would be bummed to do this race because I wouldn't have anybody there to watch me Cry, but it would work out REALLY well with my training schedule this summer.  What say ye, MG?

I've done the Portland Marathon. It's an awesome race!! Don't plan to do it this year -- I'm mararthoned out for now -- but never say never. My girlfriend and I have said it would be fun to go and volunteer and not run, ha!! I live 3 hours from Portland. It's an awesome city, you'll love it! Oh, and it's not very big, so don't count on wearing Brooks out and about and never running into anybody... But that's neither here nor there, because you need to wear the shoes that work. Maybe you can work your way over to the designers and see if they can make a true running shoe that people will love!!

BTW, do you (or anyone) watch Portlandia? My husband and I have taken in a few episodes. It vascillates between hilarious and disturbing, and is nothing if not creative. We have very close friends in Portland and try to swap visits 1-2x a year, but that is getting harder to swing as kids get older, but we do love to make it down there if an opportunity presents itself. Great races up in the Seattle area too, for you to consider. If you groove on marathons, I'd highly recommend doing the North Olympic Discovery Marathon while you are living in the PNW. Google it. Awesome support and gorgeous point-to-point course.

2011-03-08 6:50 PM
in reply to: #3388950

User image

Champion
marietta
tahrens - 2011-03-08 4:57 PM

its not what in the bottle, tracy.  ha!     thats from trev. 

2011-03-08 7:01 PM

User image

Elite
san francisco

Erica-  I had orthotics made by my sports chiro person to correct my over pronation.  The way it was explained to me was that with the orthotic, I was no longer a pronator, but rather, a neutral runner.

I wear orthotics in both my dress shoes and have ones for my running shoes.  My running shoe orthotics cost about $275.00, not including the consultation ($75).  I still use the orthotics even in my minimalist shoe mostly because without it, I can feel everything in the pavement, the shoes are paper thin.  I also think that it is possible that I would start to pronate again without the insert, and am leery of anything falling apart at this point!

My orthotics are still fine after 3 years or so and I prefer this set to a newer set I had made just because I wanted to have one for walking.  The doctor said the orthotics should last up to 5000 miles!  I put my new one into my cycling shoe which has worked really well for triathlon, I don't need to switch the orthotic...that would just screw up my T2 time even more! 

2011-03-08 7:05 PM
in reply to: #3388920

User image

Champion
marietta
tahrens - 2011-03-08 4:42 PM

shc 170  the usual cobb blah blah blah... 180 day money back guarantee, awesome customer service, and all that.  butt the bottom line line is it works, at least for me for a few months now.  and if it means anything to you, i understand some really fast people were on it at the desert classic a few weeks ago. 

2011-03-08 7:09 PM
in reply to: #3389212

User image

Expert
Portland, OR
kt65 - 2011-03-08 7:01 PM

Erica-  I had orthotics made by my sports chiro person to correct my over pronation.  The way it was explained to me was that with the orthotic, I was no longer a pronator, but rather, a neutral runner.

I wear orthotics in both my dress shoes and have ones for my running shoes.  My running shoe orthotics cost about $275.00, not including the consultation ($75).  I still use the orthotics even in my minimalist shoe mostly because without it, I can feel everything in the pavement, the shoes are paper thin.  I also think that it is possible that I would start to pronate again without the insert, and am leery of anything falling apart at this point!

My orthotics are still fine after 3 years or so and I prefer this set to a newer set I had made just because I wanted to have one for walking.  The doctor said the orthotics should last up to 5000 miles!  I put my new one into my cycling shoe which has worked really well for triathlon, I don't need to switch the orthotic...that would just screw up my T2 time even more! 

So what kind of shoes do you run in with your orthotics?

2011-03-08 7:25 PM
in reply to: #3389216

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
fattyfatfat - 2011-03-08 8:05 PM

shc 170  the usual cobb blah blah blah... 180 day money back guarantee, awesome customer service, and all that.  butt the bottom line line is it works, at least for me for a few months now.  and if it means anything to you, i understand some really fast people were on it at the desert classic a few weeks ago. 

Yeah I would try the usual suspects first, Cobb then Adamo, if one of those don't work for you it's a longer process I think.

And on your chamois cream, Sam uses the same stuff I do, DZ's nuts.  Good stuff.

2011-03-08 8:21 PM
in reply to: #3389247

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
dalessit - 2011-03-08 7:25 PM
fattyfatfat - 2011-03-08 8:05 PM

Yeah I would try the usual suspects first, Cobb then Adamo, if one of those don't work for you it's a longer process I think.

And on your chamois cream, Sam uses the same stuff I do, DZ's nuts.  Good stuff.

Tracy:

If you remember back to last year, I had some bigtime issues with my Terry Butterfly once I went more aero.  I found it to be too wide.  I switched to the SMP Lite 209 and LOVE IT!  It looks odd and is hard, but it is so comfortable.   I do have a brand new Cobb that I would sell you for a very good deal if you decide to go that route.  I literally never even installed it permanently on my bike.

From your decription of your bad run, I wonder if it was more about poor pre-nutrition, either the morning of or the day before.  I know when my legs feel rotten so early in the effort it is because I didn't plan well beforehand.  It happens to all of us.

Erica--I'm a huge Brooks girl.  I used to run in Adrenalines for years and now run in the Launch's and really like them.  Not a bad choice, just a bad choice amongst the Nike Elites.

Where's Spanky?

2011-03-08 8:30 PM

User image

Champion

FYI, runningwarehouse.com is having a good sale.  I just picked up 2 pair of Saucony A4's for 95 bucks total with free shipping.

Not all shoes are on sale but from their facebook page you can get a 20% discount added on to sale shoes at least.

2011-03-08 9:05 PM
in reply to: #3389351

User image

Master
Horseheads, NY
dalessit - 2011-03-08 9:30 PM

FYI, runningwarehouse.com is having a good sale.  I just picked up 2 pair of Saucony A4's for 95 bucks total with free shipping.

Not all shoes are on sale but from their facebook page you can get a 20% discount added on to sale shoes at least.

Is there a promo code for the 20%?  I used a 15% code from a local running club last time I bought there (after your advice I think - thanks!).  One pair that I got had a nasty squeek in the right sole so I sent them back.  They were out of that style (Triumph 7 I think) so the refunded my money and I never got a replacement pair.  Now might be the time.

2011-03-08 9:30 PM
in reply to: #3389401

User image

Champion
gdale - 2011-03-08 10:05 PM
dalessit - 2011-03-08 9:30 PM

Is there a promo code for the 20%?  I used a 15% code from a local running club last time I bought there (after your advice I think - thanks!).  One pair that I got had a nasty squeek in the right sole so I sent them back.  They were out of that style (Triumph 7 I think) so the refunded my money and I never got a replacement pair.  Now might be the time.

Go to their facebook page, there should be a link, click on that and it will put the discount in your cart.

2011-03-08 9:31 PM

User image

Chatham Ontario

No time to read and catch up. I hope everyone is doing well.  I had a GREAT swim tonight. I was bugging my work out buddy for her hammering out 3000 meters tonight and telling her what a rockstar she was. I came home added up my work out and realized I swam 2700 meters tonight too.... WOOOT.

And I feel Great. Still in PT for my knee but it is really starting to feel better with full range of motion now but def not 100% yet. I can't wait to get through tomorrow at PT and see if we can put a timeline on when I can start.

I would just be happy doing long walks with my wife again if possible and get back to walking 4-5km with her.

Thats all I have... Have a GREAT week everyone.

I am too busy training new Floor employees for our new Alabama plant. We flew them up to Canada on Sunday and they are working up here for a week before we ship equipment down there. Very pollite group of people.

2011-03-08 9:43 PM

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada

Vegas part II?

running on the strip at night...we may be in!

HASH HOUSE HERE WE COME!!

2011-03-08 10:17 PM
in reply to: #3389461

User image

Elite
san francisco
TrevorC - 2011-03-08 7:43 PM

Vegas part II?

running on the strip at night...we may be in!

HASH HOUSE HERE WE COME!!

Count me in!!!!!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » swbkrun with us!!! - Closed Rss Feed  

of 171