BT Development Mentor Program Archives » LaurenSU02's group - CLOSED! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 66

2008-05-01 8:12 AM
in reply to: #1374045

Champion
South Jersey
Subject: RE: LaurenSU02's group - CLOSED!
Aikidoman - 2008-04-30 11:21 PM
LaurenSU02 - 2008-04-30 5:31 PM
Aikidoman - 2008-04-30 7:51 PM

So I got a BIG workout day tomorrow.  90 minutes of running and 90 minutes of biking.  Looks like I'm going to have to get to the gym at 4:45 to get one of them in (too long for lunch and I don't feel like a big brick)....  Sucks.  So what's easier?  A run or bike?  Suggestions?

I'm thinking the bike for some reason.  I don't have to be as coordinated at that hour!

I don't understand what you're asking. Don't brick them. Are you asking which to do in the AM and which to do in the PM? What is the workout for each? All endurance pace stuff?

Yeah, just kind of joking around.  Nothing too serious.  Both are basically Z2 and Z3 and 90 min long.   Since I don't do the early morning thing, I was wondering what people feel more comfortable doing still groggy from the early rise!  I will probably do the bike in the moring per the plan on the trainer.

You're right, no way I want to brick them.  Not an option IMO.

I WANT to get up, but I seriously don't know if it will happen.  My determination goes bye-bye in the wee hours of the morning.  Since Friday is a very light swim day, I may move one to then.

Did you get up? That seems like a weird workout day to me...Hmm. You could move one to Friday; what does your Saturday look like?

2008-05-01 9:26 AM
in reply to: #1374467

User image

Sensei
Sin City
LaurenSU02 - 2008-05-01 6:06 AM
shiggy - 2008-05-01 5:15 AM

okay, I just got a crazy email this morning, here is the first paragraph:

Dear Athlete, Congratulations! You are being contacted because you have earned a spot on Team USA for the 2008 Short Course Triathlon World Championships after your name was selected from the 2008 lottery. The 2008 World Championships are set to take place June 7-8 in Vancouver, Canada. etc. etc.

??? I didn't enter the lottery for this, but I did participate in a qualifier last year (and came in MOP). Did they automatically put my name in a lottery? Is this something I shouldn't pass up? This is so last minute, please help! Seriously I don't think I can spend all the $$ to get to Vancouver.

Wow, that's pretty cool. I am guessing you were automatically entered by participating in the qualifier. It's a big decision. I think racing in that atmosphere would be really cool and a lot of fun. But, you also need to consider how it fits into your race schedule, finances, etc. You also need to decide what type of performance you'd be willing to accept from yourself in the race.

Let us know what you decide. This is pretty cool !

That's cool!  I would look into it and if there is ANY way you could do it, go for it!  Just the story alone would be great to tell - "Yep, I represented USA in the Short Course Champioinships...."

2008-05-01 9:38 AM
in reply to: #1374476

User image

Sensei
Sin City
LaurenSU02 - 2008-05-01 6:12 AM
Aikidoman - 2008-04-30 11:21 PM
LaurenSU02 - 2008-04-30 5:31 PM
Aikidoman - 2008-04-30 7:51 PM

So I got a BIG workout day tomorrow.  90 minutes of running and 90 minutes of biking.  Looks like I'm going to have to get to the gym at 4:45 to get one of them in (too long for lunch and I don't feel like a big brick)....  Sucks.  So what's easier?  A run or bike?  Suggestions?

I'm thinking the bike for some reason.  I don't have to be as coordinated at that hour!

I don't understand what you're asking. Don't brick them. Are you asking which to do in the AM and which to do in the PM? What is the workout for each? All endurance pace stuff?

Yeah, just kind of joking around.  Nothing too serious.  Both are basically Z2 and Z3 and 90 min long.   Since I don't do the early morning thing, I was wondering what people feel more comfortable doing still groggy from the early rise!  I will probably do the bike in the moring per the plan on the trainer.

You're right, no way I want to brick them.  Not an option IMO.

I WANT to get up, but I seriously don't know if it will happen.  My determination goes bye-bye in the wee hours of the morning.  Since Friday is a very light swim day, I may move one to then.

Did you get up? That seems like a weird workout day to me...Hmm. You could move one to Friday; what does your Saturday look like?

Hell to the NO!!!!  Once again, got on the computer to log in my workouts and started playing poker (turned 200 bucks into 520)  It was about 10:30 when I got off, but Tala wanted to talk about her job (that she was offered).  She was having some SERIOUS problems with making a decision.  We stayed up to 12:00 talking, then SHE stayed up till 6:00 am this morning talking to her dad, friends, etc trying to make a decision.  She would bounce into the bedroom on occasion and wake me up.  So at 4:00am, 4 hours after I laid down, I was NOT feeling up to a workout!

Anyway, bike today for sure, and I think the easier run will fit in nicely tomorrow (I get off at noon so I can get it in early).  Sat is not too bad, so I should be fine.  And Sunday, a FLEX BIKE they call it!  1 hour min up to 4 hours max.  However long I feel.  Now THAT'S the kind of workout I like!  To be honest, I will be closer to the 1 hour than the 4.  My body is not used to the strength training, ab work, and higher intensity workouts yet.  So I'm a little tired right now (or the fact I can't ever get any sleep!)  So a 90min to a 2hr bike on Sun. sounds like just the ticket.  I may even dust off the MTN bike and do some trail riding!  I LOVE training again - I got lots of reasons why, but I won't add to the this already epic post...... 

2008-05-01 10:11 AM
in reply to: #1374231

User image

Expert
WA

Dear Athlete, Congratulations! You are being contacted because you have earned a spot on Team USA for the 2008 Short Course Triathlon World Championships after your name was selected from the 2008 lottery. The 2008 World Championships are set to take place June 7-8 in Vancouver, Canada. etc. etc.

??? I didn't enter the lottery for this, but I did participate in a qualifier last year (and came in MOP). Did they automatically put my name in a lottery? Is this something I shouldn't pass up? This is so last minute, please help! Seriously I don't think I can spend all the $$ to get to Vancouver.

claire, that is SO COOL!!  if you can figure out a way to go, that would be awesome.  vancouver is a cool city, with GREAT FOOD.  it was one of my more favorite family vacations as a kid.  good luck.  if you can swing it, it sounds like the opportunity of a lifetime!

maybe reply and see what it entails?  will they help out with travel at all?  are they going to have you wear a USA uniform? (HOW COOL WOULD THAT BE)  etc etc.  keep us posted! 

2008-05-01 10:30 AM
in reply to: #1354013

User image

Regular
Columbus , OH
Anyone have ideas about me getting the Garmin 305 multi-sport.  It has a heart rate monitor, cadence and is an awesome GPS.  I also found that multi-sport package for $289 so its a pretty big bargain.  I am probably going to get it either way, but wanted to know what you guys think.

Edited by dlswimmer 2008-05-01 10:30 AM
2008-05-01 10:34 AM
in reply to: #1374879

User image

Extreme Veteran
Toledo, Ohio
lisazapato - 2008-05-01 11:11 AM

claire, that is SO COOL!!  if you can figure out a way to go, that would be awesome.  vancouver is a cool city, with GREAT FOOD.  it was one of my more favorite family vacations as a kid.  good luck.  if you can swing it, it sounds like the opportunity of a lifetime!

maybe reply and see what it entails?  will they help out with travel at all?  are they going to have you wear a USA uniform? (HOW COOL WOULD THAT BE)  etc etc.  keep us posted! 

Thanks for all the responces. I think I do get to wear a uniform. The catch is that the entry fee is $400. (including the uniform) + flights + hotel. I actually bought myself a tri bike this year, and my husband is still recovering from the shock of what that cost (and aside from this I am really leaning towards IM KY for next year and that will be another $$$)

I will seriously think it over (they only give me a few days to decide!). Still though, wouldn't I be blown away by everyone else in the race and be the last one rolling in?

2008-05-01 10:46 AM
in reply to: #1374945

User image

Sensei
Sin City

dlswimmer - 2008-05-01 8:30 AM Anyone have ideas about me getting the Garmin 305 multi-sport.  It has a heart rate monitor, cadence and is an awesome GPS.  I also found that multi-sport package for $289 so its a pretty big bargain.  I am probably going to get it either way, but wanted to know what you guys think.

DO IT!!!! I LOVE mine.  I think I got mine for about the same price.  Took me a while to put the cadence sensor on the bike (just lazy I guess), but it's my favorite training tool by far......  But I'm a numbers junky.....  In my nature....

2008-05-01 10:47 AM
in reply to: #1374365

User image

Extreme Veteran
Toledo, Ohio

Concerning your toe issue:

Maybe some antibiotic ointment on a large enough band-aid to cover the area and protect it? If it still hurts though I would guess that it won't take all that long to heal up enough to get back to running (a few days?).  I too had a toe problem this morning and now my running shoe is no longer shiny and white

Edited by shiggy 2008-05-01 10:48 AM
2008-05-01 10:49 AM
in reply to: #1374961

User image

Sensei
Sin City
shiggy - 2008-05-01 8:34 AM

Thanks for all the responces. I think I do get to wear a uniform. The catch is that the entry fee is $400. (including the uniform) + flights + hotel. I actually bought myself a tri bike this year, and my husband is still recovering from the shock of what that cost (and aside from this I am really leaning towards IM KY for next year and that will be another $$$)

I will seriously think it over (they only give me a few days to decide!). Still though, wouldn't I be blown away by everyone else in the race and be the last one rolling in?

Welcome to triathlon....

OK, I GOT to say it.  I look at your screen name and I ALWAYS sing this in my head for some odd reason:

"Get'n Shiggy with it...."  I know, bad, huh?

Edited by Aikidoman 2008-05-01 10:49 AM
2008-05-01 10:49 AM
in reply to: #1375020

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma
Aikidoman - 2008-05-01 11:46 AM

dlswimmer - 2008-05-01 8:30 AM Anyone have ideas about me getting the Garmin 305 multi-sport.  It has a heart rate monitor, cadence and is an awesome GPS.  I also found that multi-sport package for $289 so its a pretty big bargain.  I am probably going to get it either way, but wanted to know what you guys think.

DO IT!!!! I LOVE mine.  I think I got mine for about the same price.  Took me a while to put the cadence sensor on the bike (just lazy I guess), but it's my favorite training tool by far......  But I'm a numbers junky.....  In my nature....

I got mine on Target.com for $215.00.  I would check there.  I love mine and I just started using it.  I can't wait to use the multisport function.

2008-05-01 10:50 AM
in reply to: #1374945

User image

Expert
New Orleans

dlswimmer - 2008-05-01 10:30 AM Anyone have ideas about me getting the Garmin 305 multi-sport.  It has a heart rate monitor, cadence and is an awesome GPS.  I also found that multi-sport package for $289 so its a pretty big bargain.  I am probably going to get it either way, but wanted to know what you guys think.

If you can afford it, I'd say go for it. A couple of years ago, I got a Polar 625 that had the HRM and foot pod for distance. I also got the bike speed and cadence sensors. My problem was that I wasn't using them for their full potential, so I sold it a few months ago. Now, I am thinking about getting another HRM because I want to monitor myself and really try to incorporate HR-based trianing into my plan. The 305 sounds like a solid unit, and I've heard nothing but good things about it.

2008-05-01 10:51 AM
in reply to: #1375020

User image

Regular
Columbus , OH

I just love gadgets, so I will probably get it.  Its just nice because its a whole package with the cadence, bike mountin kit, watch and heart rate monitor.  I just won't tell my gf (she thinks I spend too much money on crap).

2008-05-01 10:52 AM
in reply to: #1375030

User image

Sensei
Sin City
Boston Beginner - 2008-05-01 8:49 AM

I got mine on Target.com for $215.00.  I would check there.  I love mine and I just started using it.  I can't wait to use the multisport function.

That sounds about right just for the Garmin.  I added a bike mount and quick release wrist strap and the cadence and it brought it up to 280 or so.

The multisport is kind of cool, but a little tricky.  I'm about 50/50 for it doing what I want...  And it give some strange reports that you may have to get used to (or at least mine does)

2008-05-01 10:55 AM

User image

Master
Olney, MD

This may be a dumb question but here goes...

I have a Garmin 305 that my parents gave me for Christmas.  It didn't come with a cadence / speed sensor for the bike.  If I bought one separately would I also be able to use it to get my speed / cadence when I'm on the trainer too?  I don't see why it wouldn't work.  I'm looking to get a bike computer, but I didn't realize that the Garmin 305 had a similar capability.  It can probably do a lot of things I'm not aware of..   You can see how much I'm into this data stuff.. haha

2008-05-01 11:03 AM
in reply to: #1374961

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma
shiggy - 2008-05-01 11:34 AM

That is awesome.  Here is my feelings on something like this... we are almost all amatuers in this crazy sport and anytime you have a chance to compete in some kind of Word Championships, I would jump at it.  In regards to the money, in my previous life I was a financial advisor and what I used to tell people is make a list of what you spend a month on things like cable, cell phone, going out to eat, entertainment, etc and then add it up for the year.  You will be amazed at how much we spend on things.  I guess I am trying to say, without knowing your financial situation, if you really want to go, you can find ways to save for it.  See if anyone will sponsor you?

Congrats on getting chosen.

2008-05-01 11:03 AM
in reply to: #1375046

User image

Regular
Columbus , OH
Aikidoman - 2008-05-01 11:52 AM

That sounds about right just for the Garmin.  I added a bike mount and quick release wrist strap and the cadence and it brought it up to 280 or so.

The multisport is kind of cool, but a little tricky.  I'm about 50/50 for it doing what I want...  And it give some strange reports that you may have to get used to (or at least mine does)

Well I did it.  I am very impulsive about these kinds of things.  I think I can hide it until Melissa sees the box waiting for me :-)  I currently have a wireless computer on my bike that I will probably have to get rid of or maybe just move to my mountain bike.  I don't think that the 305 has any information missing that my current bike computer captures.

2008-05-01 11:18 AM

Champion
South Jersey
No help on Garmin stuff...I'm a Polar girl (use powertap on bike; before that, just a bike computer). Sorry
2008-05-01 11:20 AM
in reply to: #1375102

User image

Sensei
Sin City
dlswimmer - 2008-05-01 9:03 AM
Aikidoman - 2008-05-01 11:52 AM

Well I did it.  I am very impulsive about these kinds of things.  I think I can hide it until Melissa sees the box waiting for me :-)  I currently have a wireless computer on my bike that I will probably have to get rid of or maybe just move to my mountain bike.  I don't think that the 305 has any information missing that my current bike computer captures.

That's why you have a WORK address, duh!  Amature...... 

If my wife knew what I spent on TRI?  Look out.  But maybe that's why I don't beotch about her clothes purchase.  I need all the leeway I can get.....

*holding my fingers REALLY close together*  Plus I'm this close to getting a new PS2C Maybe in the next month or two....  Throw in some flashpoint 80's or HED3's for good measure....

Edited by Aikidoman 2008-05-01 11:22 AM
2008-05-01 11:24 AM
in reply to: #1375166

User image

Sensei
Sin City

LaurenSU02 - 2008-05-01 9:18 AM No help on Garmin stuff...I'm a Polar girl (use powertap on bike; before that, just a bike computer). Sorry

I have been a polar dude since before time.  10-15 years ago?  I still love them, but had to take the next step when GPS became so handy....

2008-05-01 11:27 AM

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma

I really don't want to tell you this, but REI...Garmin 305.... Original Price 299.99......Now ....164.99.

2008-05-01 11:29 AM
in reply to: #1375062

User image

Expert
New Orleans
vball03umd - 2008-05-01 10:55 AM

I have a Garmin 305 that my parents gave me for Christmas.  It didn't come with a cadence / speed sensor for the bike.  If I bought one separately would I also be able to use it to get my speed / cadence when I'm on the trainer too?  I don't see why it wouldn't work.  I'm looking to get a bike computer, but I didn't realize that the Garmin 305 had a similar capability.  It can probably do a lot of things I'm not aware of..   You can see how much I'm into this data stuff.. haha

The only problem would be if the distance from your rear wheel to the watch itself is too far. I don't know enough about Garmin to know how well their reception is. I'd imagine it shouldn't be a problem though.

2008-05-01 11:29 AM
in reply to: #1375200

User image

Sensei
Sin City
Boston Beginner - 2008-05-01 9:27 AM

I really don't want to tell you this, but REI...Garmin 305.... Original Price 299.99......Now ....164.99.

Oh well, things like that happen....  Now that the 405 is out, the 305 is getting cheaper.  The 305 is still superior I have heard.  Just bigger....

2008-05-01 11:31 AM
in reply to: #1375209

User image

Sensei
Sin City
jjweav - 2008-05-01 9:29 AM
vball03umd - 2008-05-01 10:55 AM

The only problem would be if the distance from your rear wheel to the watch itself is too far. I don't know enough about Garmin to know how well their reception is. I'd imagine it shouldn't be a problem though.

Not a problem.  The magnet is SUPPOSED to be on the rear tire for the Garmin.  The watch is designed to pick it up.  (The same transmitter for the cadence also picks up the wheel magnet)

2008-05-01 11:40 AM
in reply to: #1375200

User image

Regular
Columbus , OH
Boston Beginner - 2008-05-01 12:27 PM

right, but the multisport bundle is $399

2008-05-01 11:51 AM

User image

Austin, Texas or Jupiter, Florida
GARMIN 305
I loved mine until it just stopped picking up the satellites. It's pretty frustrating. I am getting ready too call Garmin about it to say WTFO?

The cadence sensor has never worked because i think the distance is too great between my rear wheel and the mount which I put on my Aeros thinking I'd rather see my speed without taking my hand off the bars.

If anyone has any idea why it says Loading Satellites for 45 minutes and still doesn't pick-up a single one please let me know. Other than that, It's great!!!

Claire, it sounds like $400 is worth at least asking your hubby about. If that covers all those expenses, that means he could share the room and then just pay for his flight and his food right?
Then again, this is coming from the dude who can't even do a 5K less than 1K from the house because his 9-Month Pregnant Wife gave him the death-stare when he asked her about it last night...

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » LaurenSU02's group - CLOSED! Rss Feed  

of 66