Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 20

2010-05-26 6:53 AM
in reply to: #2769762

User image

Expert
Palm Bay
Subject: RE: BikerGrrrl's Group - CLOSED
What do you do when you come to the conclusion your Dr. just does not get it or just is not listening....

My sides have been hurting for about a month now, thought it was kidney stones, but CT scan said not it, they were passed.

Dr. concentrating on spine, when pain is on sides mostly and back very little.

She is recommending PT for my back/core to help saying there is some bone spurs and possible compression on right side.

I do not think this is the problem, since I have not done anything to my back recently.

2010-05-26 8:37 AM
in reply to: #2882482

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

Hey Steve.  If you want to try it again, here's a video about the single-arm drill with the arm extended.  It's easier than I thought, after a few tries: http://www.goswim.tv/entries/5632/freestyle---single-arm-variations.html

I'd probably try a second opinion from another doctor.  Especially if your insurance would cover it, it doesn't hurt since you're not getting better...

2010-05-26 2:37 PM
in reply to: #2882667

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

So, it's almost the end of May and I would say the season is officially "on".  I hope everyone is out there training and working through their various issues.  Let us know if you need any support!

Is anyone doing a Memorial Day weekend race?  Or do you have other fun plans?

I'm running a 10-mile race on Sunday that's really just for the support of my long training run.  It's a local running assn race and it's dirt cheap, so I am just excited about having aid stations and a few folks to run with.   The rest of the day will be spent with husband and friends watching the Indy 500 - a tradition for us.

I am WAY less excited about my 4 hour ride on Saturday; likely to be alone.  Fortunately it's the longest ride I'll have to do.  I know, I'm BikerGrrrl, I should be excited.  But this goes beyond fun in my book

2010-05-27 8:14 AM
in reply to: #2884019

User image

Expert
Missouri
BikerGrrrl - 2010-05-26 2:37 PM

So, it's almost the end of May and I would say the season is officially "on".  I hope everyone is out there training and working through their various issues.  Let us know if you need any support!

Is anyone doing a Memorial Day weekend race?  Or do you have other fun plans?

I'm running a 10-mile race on Sunday that's really just for the support of my long training run.  It's a local running assn race and it's dirt cheap, so I am just excited about having aid stations and a few folks to run with.   The rest of the day will be spent with husband and friends watching the Indy 500 - a tradition for us.

I am WAY less excited about my 4 hour ride on Saturday; likely to be alone.  Fortunately it's the longest ride I'll have to do.  I know, I'm BikerGrrrl, I should be excited.  But this goes beyond fun in my book

I can't even imagine doing a 4 hour ride (probably the biggest reason I'll never do a HIM or IMSmile).  I was going over my schedule last night and the longest ride I have will be about 2-1/2 hours - usually after about an hour or so I'm ready to be done.  It's not that I dislike biking - it's just that that is the sport I am least comfortable with and the only way to get more comfortable with it is just to ride.   Kind of a vicious circle, lol! 

Speaking of bikes - somebody talk to me about bike computers.  I'm not looking for anything fancy and I don't care about my wattage or power output or anything like that, I just want to be able to track my speed/cadence/etc.  I have a Garmin 305 that I usually just wear on my wrist or wrap around my handlebars but I don't have the cadence sensor.  If I get the sensor, would it be similar to having a bike computer or would I get different info from that?  I don't want to spend a lot of money on a computer if what I have will work (with a little upgrading). 
2010-05-27 8:21 AM
in reply to: #2882482

User image

Expert
Missouri
otter_sh - 2010-05-26 6:53 AM What do you do when you come to the conclusion your Dr. just does not get it or just is not listening....

My sides have been hurting for about a month now, thought it was kidney stones, but CT scan said not it, they were passed.

Dr. concentrating on spine, when pain is on sides mostly and back very little.

She is recommending PT for my back/core to help saying there is some bone spurs and possible compression on right side.

I do not think this is the problem, since I have not done anything to my back recently.

I wish I had an answer for you.  Maybe she's thinking that it's a referred pain that you're feeling in your side and the real problem is in your back?  I've been going through something similar.  For the last 2 years, whenever I see my regular doctor (for checkups usually), I ask them about the pain and stiffness I've been having in my left shoulder/shoulder blade area.  They always tell me the same thing - it's just a strained muscle.  I'm finding it hard to believe that it hasn't healed in the last 2 years.  I'm actually thinking about calling my sports doc - he specializes in feet and legs but I'm hoping he can refer me to someone else in his office that can help with this problem. 

A second opinion would probably be a good idea, if possible.
2010-05-27 8:32 AM

User image

Expert
Missouri
OK - one arm drills in swimming.  I hate those!  I must be doing something wrong because I always feel like I'm fishtailing and end up on the other side of the lane - can't go in a straight line.  I usually do them with my arm out front and using a pull buoy.  I can understand how they would help with your stroke, but I'll be darned if I can do them correctly, lol!  I admit, when those come up on my schedule I usually either skip them or do another drill insteadSmile

2010-05-27 8:55 AM

my race was supposed to be memorial day Frown  i'm totally bummed out that i'm not going to be able to do it.  i'm severely anemic and my doctor said that training/racing would just be too hard on the system.  with my levels she says i have to be losing blood somewhere, so we're pursuing that route instead of just sticking a bandaid on it with pills and diet changes.

as far as exercise, i can do whatever i want as long as it does fatigue me or leave me short of breath.  not really sure what that leaves beyond walking and leisurely bike rides. 

this sucks.  sorry if i don't come around much - its hard to read about your training while I am benched.

2010-05-27 9:15 AM
in reply to: #2885484

User image

Expert
Missouri
smartstrongsexy - 2010-05-27 8:55 AM

my race was supposed to be memorial day Frown  i'm totally bummed out that i'm not going to be able to do it.  i'm severely anemic and my doctor said that training/racing would just be too hard on the system.  with my levels she says i have to be losing blood somewhere, so we're pursuing that route instead of just sticking a bandaid on it with pills and diet changes.

as far as exercise, i can do whatever i want as long as it does fatigue me or leave me short of breath.  not really sure what that leaves beyond walking and leisurely bike rides. 

this sucks.  sorry if i don't come around much - its hard to read about your training while I am benched.

I'm sorry that you have to miss your race and about the anemia.  Hopefully they can figure it out soon and it'll be an easy fix.

2010-05-27 9:18 AM
in reply to: #2885550

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

So sorry, Brooke!  I hope the answer will be found and easily sorted out.  Good luck.

2010-05-27 11:32 AM
in reply to: #2885550

User image

Expert
Palm Bay
soccermom15 - 2010-05-27 10:15 AM
smartstrongsexy - 2010-05-27 8:55 AM

I'm sorry that you have to miss your race and about the anemia.  Hopefully they can figure it out soon and it'll be an easy fix.

X2
2010-05-27 11:34 AM
in reply to: #2885484

User image

Expert
Palm Bay
smartstrongsexy - 2010-05-27 9:55 AM

Can you do anything in the pool..  Since it is not as stressful on the body, can you jog in the pool, or water arobics?

2010-05-27 12:31 PM
in reply to: #2886063

otter_sh - 2010-05-27 12:34 PM
Can you do anything in the pool..  Since it is not as stressful on the body, can you jog in the pool, or water arobics?

i can always give it a try.  she just limited me based on how the exercise makes me feel, not actual exercises themselves.  the only definite limit was that i couldn't push myself hard but i could certainly adjust pool exercises to whatever level i wanted them to be at.
2010-05-27 3:43 PM

User image

Expert
Palm Bay
PT today was a little painful as they poked to find the spots and then did the exercising.
2010-05-28 10:39 AM

User image

Elite
washington state
Funny that you were talking about one-arm swim drills.  I had never heard of that.

But yesterday in my coached swim group, we did one-arm drills!  Huh, that was certainly interesting.

We swam with one arm extended and kicking as normal as possible with the other arm doing the stroke.  We were to breath to the side that was doing the stroke.  I usually breathe on my right so when we switched to the left, I really felt even more awkward.  But it was a good way to work on evening out the stroke.  Also had to do the kick well to keep good movement. 

I liked that drill better than when we had to work on our "2nd" stroke. (other than crawl).  I tried both the side stroke and the back stroke.  I think that I prefer a slower crawl as a resting stroke rather than changing strokes.  I took in more water with those so called resting strokes.  Ugh
2010-05-29 2:52 PM
in reply to: #2888558

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

deehtz - 2010-05-28 10:39 AM
...I think that I prefer a slower crawl as a resting stroke rather than changing strokes.  I took in more water with those so called resting strokes. 

I think this concept is SO important.  If you can learn to slow down a tidge to catch your breath, but not break your "stride", you are well on your way to being able to swim fast all of the time. 

This is also true for running.  You might need to walk if you're tired.  I am not against walking, but I found if I was getting a little winded I immediately walked.  Once I tried jogging more slowly, I was able to recover and yet not be as far behind. 

We do this automatically on the bike - coasting. 

Nice insight!!!

2010-05-30 2:58 PM

User image

Expert
Palm Bay
I am just having trouble finding that slower gear between dead slow and stop...  I was able to do it with practice a few years ago, but have not been able to find it recently....  I need to try again....

Showtime next Sunday...  yesterday's practice took 4 minutes of week before.....

2010-06-01 8:47 AM
in reply to: #2891142

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

I looked at the description of your race this weekend and it sounds lovely.  Have you read the race reports from previous years?  I always think that helps. 

You're a strong swimmer, so that puts you in a lot better position over a lot of folks in a race.  Do you have a nutrition plan for the bike segment?  I find that has the most direct effect on a successful run, especially when it's hot.

otter_sh - 2010-05-30 2:58 PM I am just having trouble finding that slower gear between dead slow and stop...  I was able to do it with practice a few years ago, but have not been able to find it recently....  I need to try again....

Showtime next Sunday...  yesterday's practice took 4 minutes of week before.....

2010-06-01 11:28 AM
in reply to: #2893509

User image

Expert
Palm Bay
BikerGrrrl - 2010-06-01 9:47 AM

I looked at the description of your race this weekend and it sounds lovely.  Have you read the race reports from previous years?  I always think that helps. 

Yes I have read all of them...  Learned some tricks to try, since Ice melts so far and everything gets warm.

You're a strong swimmer, so that puts you in a lot better position over a lot of folks in a race.  

After 2 practice swims, I still struggle with no lines and ropes..  Last Sat. just kept the montra of "Trust your training", then I would put my head down and stroke 3 time then breath, spot and repeat..  Only ran into 2 people that way.  Thought I was in a middle wave, so would be being passed alot, nope I am in the last wave, so it will be interesting being in back again.

Do you have a nutrition plan for the bike segment?  I find that has the most direct effect on a successful run, especially when it's hot.

I have tried during training, 1st Gu is about 4 miles into ride at Publix turn, do it is a little wider road.  2nd Gu is at turn at 7.5 miles.  Usually run out of water about 12 mile mark.  Second water bottle with Gator-aid is used on the run.  My larger concern is nutrition for the week to minimize junk and fuel properly.  I will be on the road Fri and Sat.  Graduation of my niece 5.5 hr drive away.

My goal was to sub 2 hrs, but with a 2:09 on Sat, not sure that is realistic, unless I can find some running legs this week.  Anyone know of a good sale? Smile

2010-06-01 2:21 PM
in reply to: #2894048

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

Sounds like you've put together a pretty good race day plan.  I can't wait to hear how it turns out!

Can you carry two bottles in your bike and then have the 3rd bottle in transition?  That's what I am doing for my race on Saturday and it's even shorter than your race.   Or, if you only have one bottle holder, maybe you can find the biggest possible bottle?     Do you have aerobars? I can't remember.   You can get an aero bottle, or even find a way to rig an extra bottles to the bars to switch out halfway through the ride.

I agree that race week nutrition will have an impact, but for a bigger guy in a hot race that will last 2 hours... you can't have too much sport drink

2010-06-01 7:20 PM

User image

Expert
Palm Bay
I have a second little holder I can add to the bike.  No Aerobars, since no tri-bike...  I have a trek hybrid.
2010-06-01 7:29 PM
in reply to: #2895401

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

A second holder would be great!  Safe than sorry, right?  Although I hope you don't now end up having to use the potty during the run.  If so, I take full responsibility

otter_sh - 2010-06-01 7:20 PM I have a second little holder I can add to the bike.  No Aerobars, since no tri-bike...  I have a trek hybrid.

2010-06-04 8:19 AM
in reply to: #2895419

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

Hi Everyone,

It seems that the excitement over starting a group has faded.  I am not sure if I should try to keep bugging you or call it a day.  I am sure everyone is just busy with training and life.  I ask this honestly - and not as a reprimand - where do you want this group to go?  This is my first time as a mentor and I am not sure what to do about the relative silence. 

If it's just me and Steve around here, it seems simpler for us to connect occasionally through our logs and not in this seperate thread.  But if others are still interested in chatting, I am interested!

Let me know where you're at...

-Emily

2010-06-04 10:31 AM
in reply to: #2900680

User image

Expert
Missouri
BikerGrrrl - 2010-06-04 8:19 AM

Hi Everyone,

It seems that the excitement over starting a group has faded.  I am not sure if I should try to keep bugging you or call it a day.  I am sure everyone is just busy with training and life.  I ask this honestly - and not as a reprimand - where do you want this group to go?  This is my first time as a mentor and I am not sure what to do about the relative silence. 

If it's just me and Steve around here, it seems simpler for us to connect occasionally through our logs and not in this seperate thread.  But if others are still interested in chatting, I am interested!

Let me know where you're at...

-Emily

Hey Emily (and SteveSmile)..
Sorry I've not been around lately.  Having some "life issues" at home that I'm trying to deal with.  Nothing really serious, just stressful if you know what I mean.  It's even got me questioning if I can or want to do my tri in August.  It's already paid for (finances are one of our "issues" right now), but getting in the training time may not be possible, at least not for the Oly distance.  I'd still like to at least do the sprint if they'll let me change - I think I'd be able to do that just based on current fitness levels. 

I guess the other reason I haven't been posting is because most people seem to have gone away.  And I know I'm not helping by not posting eitherSmile!  I'm part of another mentor group also that is the exact opposite - I sometimes feel like I get lost over there, especially since I'm not as advanced as they all are.  That was one of the reasons I joined this group too - hoping that since it was smaller, it might be more personal.  Like I said, I know I haven't been helping much in that area - you have to give in order to get, right?  I'd like to stay with this group (even if it's just the 3 of us) and I promise to try to be more active!
Janet
2010-06-04 10:56 AM
in reply to: #2901033

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

Hey Janet.  I'm sorry that you're dealing with issues.   And I really, really, didn't want anyone to feel bad.   And if there's something I could do differently, I am open to suggestions.

I thought it was just time to clear the air and let everyone out if they wanted it   If you know what I mean. 

Edited to add: I've noticed others are part of other groups, too, and wondered what that was all about.  I wondered honestly if people were trying out groups for size and then dropping the ones that didn't work the best.  Just let me know if I didn't make the cut!  Ha ha.

I hope you can find some resolution with your home issues and the training.  Maybe contacting the R.D. about switching to the sprint, and having that settled, would help to lift a burden?

Edited by BikerGrrrl 2010-06-04 10:59 AM
2010-06-04 11:22 AM

User image

Expert
Missouri
So - just to update a little bitSmile.  Since my tri on 5/23, I've slacked off some.  I took a couple of days off and then expected to get back into training - hoping to concentrate on my biking since it needs the most work, especially if I want to be ready for the Oly distance in Aug (which may not happen now anyway).  Well, it's not been happening.  Even my running mileage has been lower than usual lately.  At least with the swimming, I have an excuse.  My suit literally starting fall apart after my last swim so I had to order a new one and it hasn't come in yet.  I even sat down the other night and wrote up my schedule for the month of June.  I know I'm feeling stressed about some things and it's affecting my sleeping and eating habits, and that's leaving me feeling really tired most days.  A workout usually helps, and mentally I know that, but it's been hard some days to get up and do what I need to do.  So I'm going to take baby steps and try not to worry too much about the tri in August.  I've got a little over a month to decide what I want to do about that.  This tri actually gives refunds (after they deduct a service charge of course) since they have a waiting list of people who would take my spot.  I don't want to go that route, but we'll have to see.

On a more positive noteSmile, I did get in a couple of good runs this week.  The LRS started their summer speedwork sessions this week, and even though it was unbelievably hot I got in a good workout.  I actually enjoy doing speedwork on the track especially since we do it as a group. 

The plan for the weekend is to do a ride Saturday morning, probably 12-15 miles depending on which route I take, I've got a 5k race on Sunday morning and then, if my swimsuit comes in, I'll head to the gym for a swim workout. 
Have a wonderful weekend!
Janet
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » BikerGrrrl's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 20