BT Development Mentor Program Archives » JuniperJen's Keeping It Consistent Group - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 35

2011-01-16 3:21 PM
in reply to: #3302808

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
Subject: RE: JuniperJen's Keeping It Consistent Group - FULL
debbiereid06 - 2011-01-16 2:04 PM Hope everyone is having a great weekend.  Looks like some have gotten some good workouts in which is awesome!!!

K-Nice picture!

Ran 3.1 today!  Haven't done that since November and it felt good.  Was glad to push my legs after that spin class yesterday.  Now sitting on the couch routing for the BEARS!  GO BEARS!

Awesome job on the run and spin!

Like you and Keri I managed to recover a pretty rough week of workouts this weekend and feel good going into the new week.

Keri -- awwww, thanks for sharing - you must be such a proud mama.  Did he have a good time?

2011-01-16 3:25 PM
in reply to: #3257308

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
Alright - to keep our consistency theme going - post up your plan for the week, remember to factor in the things you know about right now (kids events, potentially long days at work) and try to make that day optional or rest. Mostly, know and don't get mad at yourself if it doesn't happen.

I think I mentioned before, I like to have a plan and if i make it too flexible I can agonize over what i can do instead of the thing I don't want to do at the moment.  There's a middle ground between being super flexible and being too rigid.

Also, let us know if you're feeling anything in particular in relation to training. Is the weather making you anxious?  Low motivation? Feeling achy?
2011-01-16 3:28 PM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
Here's my plan for the week:

Mon: swim, bike
Tues: run
Wed: swim, yoga (optional)
Thurs: run, swim group
Fri: yoga (optional)
Sat: long run
Sun: bike

Feeling good. I worry that I haven't had a higher volume week in a while and I hope I am able to get a couple eary swims in which would just help schedule-wise.  I want to do some lunch time yoga which is totally dependent on how busy it is at work.  My main goal this week is to get all of my workouts in.
2011-01-16 4:38 PM
in reply to: #3302992

User image

Expert
Canada
juniperjen - 2011-01-16 5:25 PM Alright - to keep our consistency theme going - post up your plan for the week, remember to factor in the things you know about right now (kids events, potentially long days at work) and try to make that day optional or rest. Mostly, know and don't get mad at yourself if it doesn't happen.

I think I mentioned before, I like to have a plan and if i make it too flexible I can agonize over what i can do instead of the thing I don't want to do at the moment.  There's a middle ground between being super flexible and being too rigid.

Also, let us know if you're feeling anything in particular in relation to training. Is the weather making you anxious?  Low motivation? Feeling achy?

My plan for the week is Bike!!!

Monday...Night have to work late...therefore will be bike or rest day
Tuesday...bike
Wednesday...bike
Thursday...Hopefully, gonna be finished work by lunch...might try & catch a 12:30 Spin class
Friday...Suspect it will be bad work day, probably rest
Saturday...75 min Spin...if work allows
Sunday...50 minute Spin...if work allows

I HATE swimming, probably because of my ineptitude.  Nevertheless, will have to get back in the pool soon.  Maybe next weekWink  I usually go 7am before work for 30-45 mins.  Luckily, the pool is accross the street from my work.

Cool 
2011-01-16 6:00 PM

User image

Veteran
Looks like everyone has had a great training weekend!!  I FINALLY got a run in...the calf felt much better, so hopefully I won't have any more issues with that!  I'm trying to do a new training plan for this week.  I work all day tomorrow at my second job, so I'm hoping to get a run and weight workout in tomorrow morning!  Hope everyone has a great week!!
2011-01-16 6:06 PM
in reply to: #3302647

User image

Champion
Calgary
KeriKadi - 2011-01-16 9:59 AM

GoGoGo - 2011-01-16 8:35 AM
KeriKadi - 2011-01-15 12:10 PM Hey folks glad I checked in today.  I tend to avoid when I am not doing what I am supposed to be doing.  The last few days have not been good for me training wise.  I am not a winter kind of girl and now we have rain!

I know I will feel better once I do this!  I'm just not sure why I am so much less motivated right now, I don't like it.  When I was training for my HIM I only missed 2 workouts in 3-4 months.  I've missed 2 workouts this week alone!  Time to get it done!

Have a great weekend everyone!

Hey Keri,

Hang in there... It's just a bump in the road.

Thanks!  I actually got in 24+ on the bike yesterday and then a hard run!  Then I had to come home and get my oldest son ready for a formal, I was crashed out by 9PM and I am a night owl so that is WAY early!  Slept all the way through to 7! 

Today my husband has his first 2,000 consecutive swim on his plan.  We are going to the pool together but I haven't decided whether I will swim 2,000 next to him in solidarity or swim my plan.
Either way it's turning out to be a pretty good training weekend.  All the kids are off school tomorrow so if the weather holds up I might get another ride in.

cute kids.

2011-01-16 6:17 PM

User image

Pro
Houston

I decided to do 2,000 with my husband, we got to the Y and this location that has the indoor pool doesn't have childcare on Sundays Yell  So we had packed up the kids and were stuck.  I told him to go ahead and swim, this was a big swim for him and he did great!  Unfortunately, that meant I was sitting in the van for an hour reading books with the girls instead of getting my swim in.

Looks like a trainer ride for me tonight.
Workouts for the week:
Sunday - Trainer 51 minutes
Monday - Run :50, Swim :56 - Boys are out of school so this should be do-able.
Tuesday - Bike :55, likely a trainer ride
Wednesday - Run 1:20
Thursday - Swim 1 hour
Friday - Bike :53, likely trainer
Saturday - Run :49, OWS :52
Sunday Bike 1:45

2011-01-16 6:27 PM

User image

Veteran
South Shore, MA
My plan for this coming week:
Mon - Run
Tues - 1 hour spin class
Wed - 30 min swim
Thurs - 1 hour spin class
Fri - run in PM (optional) - have volunteered to read at my daughter's nursery school so I won't do my "regular" Fri workout at gym in AM
Sat - 1 hour Masters swim
Sun - 1 hour spin class and short run

I tend to have to plan my workouts a week ahead of time since the daycare at my gym books up a week in advance.  I find that helps me stay on track, though!

I'm feeling excited about my training since this is my first tri.  I think Darren mentioned something about a "training honeymoon" and I'm worried I might be a "honeymooner"; hope that's not the case!  I hope I can keep up the momentum, especially when my "official" training starts in a couple of weeks (I'm doing the 20 week program) and that the novelty of training doesn't wear off! 

Feeling slightly anxious about the open swim since I've only been training in the pool.  Everyone tells me how much harder swimming is in the ocean.  I wouldn't say I'm scared; I just feel unprepared.  I'm looking forward to doing a couple of trial runs in the open water as I get closer to race day.

I'm also feeling like I will need to step up the cycling training once Spring arrives and I can take my bike outdoors.  All of the chat about cool tri bikes, trainers and head wind make me feel like I know nothing about the cycling world! :P
2011-01-16 9:38 PM
in reply to: #3303260

User image

Champion
Calgary
KeriKadi - 2011-01-16 5:17 PM

I decided to do 2,000 with my husband, we got to the Y and this location that has the indoor pool doesn't have childcare on Sundays Yell  So we had packed up the kids and were stuck.  I told him to go ahead and swim, this was a big swim for him and he did great!  Unfortunately, that meant I was sitting in the van for an hour reading books with the girls instead of getting my swim in.

Looks like a trainer ride for me tonight.
Workouts for the week:
Sunday - Trainer 51 minutes
Monday - Run :50, Swim :56 - Boys are out of school so this should be do-able.
Tuesday - Bike :55, likely a trainer ride
Wednesday - Run 1:20
Thursday - Swim 1 hour
Friday - Bike :53, likely trainer
Saturday - Run :49, OWS :52
Sunday Bike 1:45

Grrrrr, that totally is iritating when you have done all the work to get a workout in and then you can't do it for some random reason, grrrrrrr.

Good luck with the rest of the week.
2011-01-16 9:49 PM
in reply to: #3303269

User image

Champion
Calgary
kpringle - 2011-01-16 5:27 PM

My plan for this coming week:
Mon - Run
Tues - 1 hour spin class
Wed - 30 min swim
Thurs - 1 hour spin class
Fri - run in PM (optional) - have volunteered to read at my daughter's nursery school so I won't do my "regular" Fri workout at gym in AM
Sat - 1 hour Masters swim
Sun - 1 hour spin class and short run

I tend to have to plan my workouts a week ahead of time since the daycare at my gym books up a week in advance.  I find that helps me stay on track, though!

I'm feeling excited about my training since this is my first tri.  I think Darren mentioned something about a "training honeymoon" and I'm worried I might be a "honeymooner"; hope that's not the case!  I hope I can keep up the momentum, especially when my "official" training starts in a couple of weeks (I'm doing the 20 week program) and that the novelty of training doesn't wear off! 

Feeling slightly anxious about the open swim since I've only been training in the pool.  Everyone tells me how much harder swimming is in the ocean.  I wouldn't say I'm scared; I just feel unprepared.  I'm looking forward to doing a couple of trial runs in the open water as I get closer to race day.

I'm also feeling like I will need to step up the cycling training once Spring arrives and I can take my bike outdoors.  All of the chat about cool tri bikes, trainers and head wind make me feel like I know nothing about the cycling world! :P

Regarding the training honeymoon. It is true, and it is there, no use denying it. I like how you say it is novel, and it is, and novel always feels so so good. So, the thing is, when the honeymoon is over, whenever that happens, and you feel like taking some time off...you don't. And it sucks, it really really sucks. And all your friends who have given up or never started and they are going for wing night when you go for a run, or having that 3rd glass of wine when you can't because you got to be up at 5:00 a.m., and excercise doesn't feel like an escape but a life sentence.....when that happens, and it will (and it doesn't happen just once, it happens repeatidly for different legnths of time and to different degrees), be ready for it and do your workout, or scale wayyyyyy back and do the workouts you did your first week, just keep at it, every day, do something, fight through it.

Because, you keep at it, you make it a habit, and that takes time....maybe three months, maybe longer, and once it is a habit, once it is ingrained in your soul, you will do it no matter how you feel and 99 percent of the time that you feel like sh*t and do it you will feel 100 percent better.

Really that is a great thing about BT, because at any given time there are a bunch of people ready to throw in the towel for a variety of reasons and you get out there, post some whiny post about wanting to stop and how much training is boring and how you are getting nowhere....you do that, someone will set you straight in no time.
2011-01-16 9:55 PM

User image

Champion
Calgary
my plan for the week.

Run, some yoga. I would like to get a 2:45 or maybe 3:00 run in. Just takes so much time and is so boring. Also would like to get a 6k temp at 5:19 pace in. Also a mid week 15k would be good too. total milage 77k.

2011-01-16 10:56 PM

User image

Memphis
juniperjen - 2011-01-16 3:25 PM Alright - to keep our consistency theme going - post up your plan for the week, remember to factor in the things you know about right now (kids events, potentially long days at work) and try to make that day optional or rest. Mostly, know and don't get mad at yourself if it doesn't happen.

Sunday: took the WHOLE day off!!! Feeling way better tonight than I did this morning!!!
Monday: 45-60 min run/walk
Tuesday: 45 min swim
Wednesday: run 45
Thursday: strength train, run 30
Friday:  45 min swim
Saturday: 60 bike

Feeling ok about getting these workouts in - after really evaluating, feeling like I have made some obvious early training errors - and trying to rework that a bit now. Planning on sticking to this plan like glue for the next two weeks, then figuring out whether I've made some advances in endurance and/or speed. Starting today, 8 weeks till event. If you guys think I'm insane for trying a sprint in 8 weeks, or if I am making an error with this next two weeks, please let me know!! A GENUINE beginner!
2011-01-16 10:59 PM

User image

Good evening! Great weeks y'all! I'll post plan for week tmw. For now I'd like to share what I came up with on my musicless run earlier. It's a lovely parody of "forget you" by ceelo/gnarles Barkley, whatever he's going by these days. It's also an ode from my legs to me. I see u tryin to ride ur bike right before u run and I'm like, forget uGuess all the mileage we been building wasn't enough and I'm like, forget u, forget ur bike tooIf u werent on that trainer, ur pace would be better, ain't that some shh.And though I wish I weren't on fire I'll still give it my best, with a forget you. (oo oo ooh)I'll keep the day job don't worry
2011-01-16 11:23 PM
in reply to: #3303637

User image

Memphis
Osfan4life - 2011-01-16 10:59 PM Good evening! Great weeks y'all! I'll post plan for week tmw. For now I'd like to share what I came up with on my musicless run earlier. It's a lovely parody of "forget you" by ceelo/gnarles Barkley, whatever he's going by these days. It's also an ode from my legs to me. I see u tryin to ride ur bike right before u run and I'm like, forget uGuess all the mileage we been building wasn't enough and I'm like, forget u, forget ur bike tooIf u werent on that trainer, ur pace would be better, ain't that some shh.And though I wish I weren't on fire I'll still give it my best, with a forget you. (oo oo ooh)I'll keep the day job don't worry

Amazing. Your legs stole my legs song. If we lived closer, we'd hang out ALL the time. Outstanding!!!
2011-01-17 7:32 AM
in reply to: #3303260

User image

Veteran
South Shore, MA
KeriKadi - 2011-01-16 7:17 PM

That is SO frustrating that they don't have childcare on Sundays!  Good job on taking one for the team and letting your husband get his long swim in; I'm sure he appreciated it!   
2011-01-17 9:57 AM
in reply to: #3303637

User image

New user

Osfan4life - 2011-01-16 10:59 PM Good evening! Great weeks y'all! I'll post plan for week tmw. For now I'd like to share what I came up with on my musicless run earlier. It's a lovely parody of "forget you" by ceelo/gnarles Barkley, whatever he's going by these days. It's also an ode from my legs to me. I see u tryin to ride ur bike right before u run and I'm like, forget uGuess all the mileage we been building wasn't enough and I'm like, forget u, forget ur bike tooIf u werent on that trainer, ur pace would be better, ain't that some shh.And though I wish I weren't on fire I'll still give it my best, with a forget you. (oo oo ooh)I'll keep the day job don't worry

Awesome.  Seriously awesome.

My plan for the week?  A bit low key compared to everybody elses, but I've come to terms with the fact that I will always be a 4-5 day a week girl.  I always take Sat and Sun off for work (13 hours a day in an insane pediatric intensive care?  My heart rate is up ALL day long), and then I allow myself a gimme day to either catch up on the household or get an extra workout, whichever fits.  So I plan to swim three days this week and then on Friday spend an hour in our basement "gym" on the trainer and/or treadmill. 

My plan for most off the winter is to just get used to swimming, so this will be my week for the next few months.

2011-01-17 4:55 PM

User image

Veteran
My plan for the week....

today-rest day
Tuesday-Run 2.5 mi.
Wed.-BL boot camp and strength and sculpt
Thurs.-rest day
Fri-2 mi.
Sat.-60 min. spin
Sun.-3 mi.

Sorry i haven't had time to inspire lately!  You all are doing great and are an inspiring group to me!!!  Thanks!
2011-01-17 6:58 PM

User image

New user
Wow I feel like I've been gone forever!  Everyone has been working so hard!

Ok back to Thursday - my triathlon club had a LBS run a computrainer class.  It was tough!  Everyone's bikes are hooked up to trainers with computers that give rpm and watts.  The instructor runs the class based on reaching certain zones.  It's definitely an eye opening experience for those looking to maximize their cycling.

Friday - we had precana class for our wedding from 7:00-11:00 meaning no workout

Saturday - precana again from 9:00-1:00 Unfortunately I wasn't able to get to get to ww because of the time of the class.  After the class I drove up to my parent's house for my niece's first birthday!
Afterwards I took a nap and went to dinner with my parents.  Another skipped workout

Sunday - went to church at 7:30, then went to pick up our sample cake for the wedding at 10:00, then had to go to a service for a family friend that passed away at 12:30, at 2:00 we went to book our party bus for the wedding and afterwards went to see my niece open some of her presents.  Took another nap and then had dinner at my parents before heading back to south Jersey.  Got back around 10:00 and passed out, ANOTHER workout missed

I cleary could have gotten up earlier or squeezed in workouts, to be honest, I just wasn't feeling in.  Considering I skipped WW and didn't have a very good weekend in terms of eating, I have to get back in the game, I have a half marathon to get ready for and a wedding dress to fit into! 
2011-01-18 6:33 AM
in reply to: #3305225

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
Kristen8040 - 2011-01-17 7:58 PM Wow I feel like I've been gone forever!  Everyone has been working so hard!

Ok back to Thursday - my triathlon club had a LBS run a computrainer class.  It was tough!  Everyone's bikes are hooked up to trainers with computers that give rpm and watts.  The instructor runs the class based on reaching certain zones.  It's definitely an eye opening experience for those looking to maximize their cycling.

Friday - we had precana class for our wedding from 7:00-11:00 meaning no workout

Saturday - precana again from 9:00-1:00 Unfortunately I wasn't able to get to get to ww because of the time of the class.  After the class I drove up to my parent's house for my niece's first birthday!
Afterwards I took a nap and went to dinner with my parents.  Another skipped workout

Sunday - went to church at 7:30, then went to pick up our sample cake for the wedding at 10:00, then had to go to a service for a family friend that passed away at 12:30, at 2:00 we went to book our party bus for the wedding and afterwards went to see my niece open some of her presents.  Took another nap and then had dinner at my parents before heading back to south Jersey.  Got back around 10:00 and passed out, ANOTHER workout missed

I cleary could have gotten up earlier or squeezed in workouts, to be honest, I just wasn't feeling in.  Considering I skipped WW and didn't have a very good weekend in terms of eating, I have to get back in the game, I have a half marathon to get ready for and a wedding dress to fit into! 

Computrainer class sounds like a good way to do group riding in the winter!

Wow, busy! It's definitely hard to keep any semblance of healthy life with all of that going on. Don't be too hard on yourself but don't get down on yourself.  No day like today to get something in!
2011-01-18 6:36 AM
in reply to: #3304052

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
JosieO - 2011-01-17 10:57 AM

Awesome.  Seriously awesome.

My plan for the week?  A bit low key compared to everybody elses, but I've come to terms with the fact that I will always be a 4-5 day a week girl.  I always take Sat and Sun off for work (13 hours a day in an insane pediatric intensive care?  My heart rate is up ALL day long), and then I allow myself a gimme day to either catch up on the household or get an extra workout, whichever fits.  So I plan to swim three days this week and then on Friday spend an hour in our basement "gym" on the trainer and/or treadmill. 

My plan for most off the winter is to just get used to swimming, so this will be my week for the next few months.

Don't worry at all about what the rest of us are doing! We are here to support one another and get to a consistent and realistic plan for where we are today ... and what works for us each individually. 

Swimming is a fantastic activity - I have to say sometimes I really have to force myself to get out there since it's so cold outside I really don't want to go get into a bathing suit!
2011-01-18 12:03 PM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
Where is everyone today?? We're falling down perilously close to page 2!

2011-01-18 1:31 PM
in reply to: #3306541

User image

Memphis
juniperjen - 2011-01-18 12:03 PM Where is everyone today?? We're falling down perilously close to page 2!

I'm lurking! Waiting for the kids to finish homeschool so I can head to the pool for my first swim with a partner! Excited to have found someone to swim with. Will let you know how it goes!!
2011-01-18 2:38 PM
in reply to: #3306541

User image

Champion
Calgary
juniperjen - 2011-01-18 11:03 AM

Where is everyone today?? We're falling down perilously close to page 2!

Still ticking. Busy at the office but got my run and yoga in yesterday and another run at lunch. Yoga tonight.
2011-01-18 3:43 PM

User image

Expert
Canada
Well I got to the gym today.  1 hour on the bike.  30, straight, 30 hills...  Nice workout!!
2011-01-18 5:23 PM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
So, i just went to go out for my 10k with hills with my running partner and we called it off because it's WAY too icy.  It's raining but that doesn't stop us but the poor traction as the sidewalks are a treacherous icy sluch. Ugh. Rescheduled but now I have to convince myself to go to the pool after some supper.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » JuniperJen's Keeping It Consistent Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 35