General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 27

2014-02-16 9:05 PM
in reply to: Champ88

User image

Chicago
Subject: RE: Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread
Hey there, welcome and sorry to hear your running into some discomfort this early on. This really could be anything from a poor bike fit, to not enough conditioning prior to jumping into an IM training plan.

My advice would be to seek out a PT and get their professional opinion (trust me on this one..I've tried getting folks online to help advise me on what turned out to be tendonitis in the past when I should have just seen my PT). Also really be honest with yourself - are you starting out too hard (counter intuitive to IM training..I know..but it's easy to do). It's a long trip still leading up to CDA and you're doing the smart thing by thinking about avoiding more aggravation etc, keep that level headed thinking up...

Netted out - you've already invested $600+ on the race, likely $325 eventually being sent to Tribiketransport, then plane tickets, lodging, not to mention all the stuff that comes along the way......all that investment has to be worth a copay to go see either your doctor or a PT about this to ensure it does not go down the tubes, right?

On a related note - I'm in the midwest as well (Chicago for the past 10 years, though originally from CDA). Where about in the midwest are you at?

2014-02-16 9:50 PM
in reply to: Skipjack_50

User image

Veteran
Cloverdale, BC

From my experience, knee problems on the bike are usually related to either riding at a low cadence (eg below 75rpm)  or having incorrectly positioned cleats on your bike shoes. 

2014-02-16 9:57 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olympia, WA
Originally posted by Champ88

Hello all,

Just finished my week 1 training. Looking for advice. This is my first IM, live in the Midwest and have dealt with below 0 temps for most if not all of my runs. Bike has been on trainer indoors. When I started to go to 1 hour plus I noticed right knee pain. Had the bike shop re-fit and felt ok but as the week progressed got worse again. Pain was at the top (12 to 3 o'clock position) and basically only the outer part of knee cap before re-fit. Now the pain is just at the top of the knee. I know I need to get new pair of running shoes (close to end) but the running is fine until after when I feel the soreness. The pain is not sharp just sore. Took some anti-inflammatory and felt better. Did a 2 hour bike and 20 min run today. Didn't bother me until I was just resting and not really moving. When I stay active soreness is slight.

Sorry for the long message but want to give full picture. I'm worried so early in the training don't want to jeopardize and risk more serious injury.

Welcome! Congratulations for taking on the IM challenge. Regarding the knee problem, I have to say I agree with Brian's response. While I think you absolutely did the right thing in getting the fit checked, the fact that it didn't go away means either that wasn't the cause or you had already caused enough irritation that your knee needs help to get past it. I agree you need to go see a professional and get solid information about what the specific problem is. Once you have that, getting it resolved is usually relatively quick. Your best shot at getting it resolved and on the road to proper training is to get a correct diagnosis and rehab plan. Even if you can only manage one visit to a PT, but can leave with a set of exercises and instructions to correct the problem, that is definitely better than trying to figure it out alone.

I want to add that you have plenty of time to get this sorted out, even though it might not seem like it when you're frustrated with an injury. In 2011, I was training for CdA as my first IM and blew out my ankle in late January. It was a long road, but with lots of PT help, I was able to complete the race. It was much slower than I had originally planned, but it definitely set it in my brain that you can go a long way in an injury rehab in a relatively short period of time.

Good luck!
2014-02-17 5:49 AM
in reply to: #4950349

Thanks everyone for the suggestions!

I did visit a sports med physician last week before my heavier cycle weekend. He mentioned: 1. It's more of an aggravated issue from repetition and not a major injury. 2. My patella may be moving out of its normal alignment. This can be where I am not keeping my knees and hips out of alignment who lie on the bike. Trying to make sure I am aware. That was whole purpose of getting re-fit ( my seat was adjusted slightly higher as it was low). 3. He said that my quads are stronger than the other muscles and may be the issue. He put kinesiology tape to hold my cap in place but I think it was wrong direction cause it hurt worse after 30 mins of just walking with them on.

I plan on revisiting bike shop to see what the issue may be (fit, form, etc...). I'm wondering if after the last fit I may have been pointing my toes down at the 6 o'clock bad that was causing my kneecap to stretch out of normal.

Brian - I am from Michigan. Have been all my life. This winter has been crazy! I have had frozen eye lids as that was one part of my body I didn't cover...lol....

Brad -
2014-02-17 5:50 AM
in reply to: #4950568

Sorry hit send too soon.

Brad - I plan on doing more stretching and strengthening the other parts of legs.
2014-02-17 6:20 AM

User image

Chicago
I hear ya man..I'm not proud to admit this but after being OK running outside Dec/Jan the past few years I've now resigned myself to the treadmill for my longer runs until we get out of this crazy winter.

I like to think that I'm just getting older/wiser..but I know only one of those things are true.

A few things that helped me (just last month) get past some knee tendonitis- light stretching and foam rolling at night. I also have stronger quads (or weak hamstrings..if you want to be a jerk about it ) and strength training helped a good deal, specifically leg curls to bring my hamstrings in line a bit more with my quads. I had the same deal last year and somehow forgot the impact the leg curls had...again..older..not necessarily wiser.

Primary culprit for me was throwing my bike fit off by swapping pedals at home (resulting in a 2-3mm drop), so once I got that refit the tendonitis went away fairly quickly.

2014-02-17 9:53 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olympia, WA

Sorry hit send too soon.

Brad - I plan on doing more stretching and strengthening the other parts of legs.

Yup, sounds like a good plan. Those patella tracking issues are usually a muscle imbalance problem. Like you and Brian mentioned, we tend to have weaker hamstrings. I had a nasty case of patellar tendonitis a few years ago and I still regularly do some of the PT exercises to keep things in line. Still, when everything is feeling good, it's so easy to slack off on those necessary exercises. I'm also trying to put emphasis on hip and glute strength because I tend to get weak there.

Don't forget to take care of the inflammation that's likely causing the irritation in your knee. When I had the patellar tendonitis, it wasn't until the PT drummed into me that I needed to ice 3-4 times per day, not just after training, that it really turned the corner and started to get better.
2014-02-17 3:09 PM
in reply to: citaltfort

I'd be interested to know what excercises/ stretches you guys recommend. My training has me in the gym 2x's a week for light lifting to help my swim. I do leg curls, calves, leg presses, plus some upper body stuff.

I'm going to try the icing 3x's /day and see how that helps. Sports med dr said to ice right after and even suggested carrying a pad that wraps around knee during runs that I can freeze and put on when I feel the soreness.

Thanks guys for the help. I may seem like I'm freaking out and don't want to monopolize this board with my issues but know many of you have experience and tips and it's much appreciated.

BTW - expecting another 3-5 inches of heavy wet snow this evening into the night. Yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!
2014-02-17 3:16 PM
in reply to: Aarondb4

User image

Rose Lake, Idaho
I used Beginner Triathlete.com's Beginner Full Ironman Training plan for Cda 2011 and 2013. It was free. I added more intensity to the plan in 2013.
The Bike course has two loops, but each loop is made of two loops. One"short loop" goes to higgins point and has one steep but short hill. The "Long Loop" has a Big steep hill I call the "MICA grade Monster", and then after this a progressive incline to the turn around point past Setters Road. This is not a flat course, so plan accordingly. The wind can be as unpredictable as the water temperature on race day. I put a lot of practice on hills and bike nutrition and it seemed to help.
2014-02-17 10:36 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Spokane, WA
Originally posted by citaltfort

Hello all,

Just finished my week 1 training. Looking for advice. This is my first IM, live in the Midwest and have dealt with below 0 temps for most if not all of my runs. Bike has been on trainer indoors. When I started to go to 1 hour plus I noticed right knee pain. Had the bike shop re-fit and felt ok but as the week progressed got worse again. Pain was at the top (12 to 3 o'clock position) and basically only the outer part of knee cap before re-fit. Now the pain is just at the top of the knee. I know I need to get new pair of running shoes (close to end) but the running is fine until after when I feel the soreness. The pain is not sharp just sore. Took some anti-inflammatory and felt better. Did a 2 hour bike and 20 min run today. Didn't bother me until I was just resting and not really moving. When I stay active soreness is slight.

Sorry for the long message but want to give full picture. I'm worried so early in the training don't want to jeopardize and risk more serious injury.

Welcome! Congratulations for taking on the IM challenge. Regarding the knee problem, I have to say I agree with Brian's response. While I think you absolutely did the right thing in getting the fit checked, the fact that it didn't go away means either that wasn't the cause or you had already caused enough irritation that your knee needs help to get past it. I agree you need to go see a professional and get solid information about what the specific problem is. Once you have that, getting it resolved is usually relatively quick. Your best shot at getting it resolved and on the road to proper training is to get a correct diagnosis and rehab plan. Even if you can only manage one visit to a PT, but can leave with a set of exercises and instructions to correct the problem, that is definitely better than trying to figure it out alone.

I want to add that you have plenty of time to get this sorted out, even though it might not seem like it when you're frustrated with an injury. In 2011, I was training for CdA as my first IM and blew out my ankle in late January. It was a long road, but with lots of PT help, I was able to complete the race. It was much slower than I had originally planned, but it definitely set it in my brain that you can go a long way in an injury rehab in a relatively short period of time.

Good luck!

I'm sorry you had ankle issues in 2011, but your post is a huge encouragement to me right now.... I've been dealing with a nasty ankle issue (finally have an MRI tomorrow) that won't go away. If the MRI shows something that is fixable, then I will still have some time to do some run training hopefully before it's too late. I'm nowhere near where I wanted/needed to be for this year as my goal was to KQ... but if I can get healthy enough to cross the finish line pre-17 hours this year, I will be stoked.

There is an upside to having a bad ankle......... I've been swimming a TON and I should be one of the first AG'ers out of the water.. hehe

Edited by soretaint 2014-02-17 10:37 PM
2014-02-17 11:30 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
I have had that pain above the kneecap. It can be caused by having the bike seat too low, which will feel fine on the horns, but you will feel your legs compress a bit under you in aero, especially if you do a high rpm workout (115 rpm for 10-15 minutes). Or you can get the knee pain from having the seat a bit high relative to your earo bars which results in more weight on your arms holding you up and more weight on your knees trying to keep you from sliding off the front of your seat (especially if the nose is angled down a bit). You may be able to build bike fitness on the horns which will take pressure off the top of your knee as you get that settled down.

Toeing the pedal (not having your foot parallel to the ground) tends to make the back of your knee on the outside sore (high calf outside of leg just below that bone on the ouside of your knee). If you roll that spot with a marathon stick you will quickly know if that is an issue. Having the bike seat off by even 1 mm in height can cause some discomfort in your pedal stroke. On exercise that I hope will help me with this is doing backwards lunges before every bike and run in addition to some of those leg strengthening issues. You might not be able to do the lunges until your knee settles down some.

There are also some funky things that can go wrong with your knee that a doc can help diagnose. Last year I had calcium build up on the liner of my knee which resulted in a sandpaper like action on my tendon, not so good. I had to have it hoovered out and then I was good to go after 4 weeks of recovery with no residual issues.

For the non-fast swimmers... you might want to have a pair of swim socks to keep the feet from going numb. It kind of depends on the weather for the day as to whether you care or not. If it going to be hot, probably not a big deal, if it is going to be 40s to 50s and raining... probably want the feet to not be numb 70 miles into the bike.

Edited by Baowolf 2014-02-17 11:34 PM

2014-02-18 1:04 AM
in reply to: soretaint

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olympia, WA
Originally posted by soretaint

I'm sorry you had ankle issues in 2011, but your post is a huge encouragement to me right now.... I've been dealing with a nasty ankle issue (finally have an MRI tomorrow) that won't go away. If the MRI shows something that is fixable, then I will still have some time to do some run training hopefully before it's too late. I'm nowhere near where I wanted/needed to be for this year as my goal was to KQ... but if I can get healthy enough to cross the finish line pre-17 hours this year, I will be stoked.

There is an upside to having a bad ankle......... I've been swimming a TON and I should be one of the first AG'ers out of the water.. hehe

Aw man, I'm sorry to hear that. Good luck with the MRI. I hope you get answers and it's nothing serious. Knowing was is wrong is a big part of the battle. Definitely get in with a good PT and be a good patient to get back on the road. In the hopes that it gives you more encouragement, here's the deal with my ankle in 2011. I hope it isn't too boring.

I stepped in a hole while running in the dark on Jan. 26 and ruptured one ligament and partially tore another. I got lucky that the loose ends of the ligament were right next to each other so I didn't need surgery. The first thing I asked the doctor was about this little race I wanted to do at the end of June. He told me right away that I wouldn't be 100% by then, but I could probably get to about 70% by then if I was good with PT. He said the reality was it would be a about a year before it returned to it's normal size and strength. That turned out to be true, but sometimes 70% is enough.

I was in a boot for almost all of February. Through March it was just a ton of PT and slowly regaining strength with super basic exercises, ultrasound, etc. I think it was about seven weeks after the injury when the PT let me pedal my bike on the trainer for a few minutes, but no flexing the ankle and no clipping in. In late February, I could only do light pool running in the deep end with no ankle flexing and some pulling with a buoy, but no kicking. A couple of weeks later, I was clipping in on the bike and could ride for quite a while. By April, I could clip in and ride as much as I wanted until the ankle needed a break. I couldn't pedal with much power, but it felt great to ride. I didn't get out on the road to ride until mid-May, but I put in a ton of miles on the trainer that spring. It wasn't until some time in April when I could lightly kick while swimming, but it was really week.

It wasn't until May that I could walk around without discomfort or worrying about stubbing my toe and tweaking the ankle. By this point, I was convinced I would have to either drop out of the race or just do an unofficial aqua bike and drop out before the run. Since it was going to be my first IM, I figured I could swallow my pride and absorb the experience to use for future races. By mid-May, the ankle really started to come around and I went from lightly running five steps in the PT's office to actually running a mile in pretty short order. I had to stick with the treadmill, but shortly I could do four miles on the treadmill twice a week. By this point, I started talking with my PT about possibly walking the marathon. She wasn't opposed to it, but wanted to wait to make the call and said I would have to be very careful. The end of May and the first two weeks of June were like magic. In about three weeks I was able to progress from running 4-5 miles on the treadmill to doing a long run of 10 miles about 10 days before CdA. That's the point where my PT gave me the ok to do the whole race and even run some of the marathon, but I'd have to walk most of it.

Race day went off very well, relatively speaking. The swim was super slow since it was the 54 degree water year and my kick was still very weak. The swim was actually the hardest part of the day on the ankle. On the bike, I just used all of those trainer miles to spin through the ride. After T2, I just started running and it felt fine. I had a plan to run from aid station to aid station and walk through the stations for the first five miles. That worked out so well, I just kept doing it. As the race went on, I would walk further after each station. It took me about 90 minutes longer than normal to do the marathon, but I actually wound up running close to 20 miles of it and the ankle didn't bother me a bit. That was a sweet finish line.

The thing that helped me the most through rehab was realizing that by resting my ankle, only doing what I was allowed, and trying to eat well, I was actually doing training for the IM. It was just in a different way than normal. Every day that I did things right was another day that I was closer to the goal than the previous day. So I guess what I would say to you is be patient, get good help, and don't give up. You have time and you can get there. Your body can do amazing things if you let it and treat it right.

Good luck!
2014-02-18 5:53 AM

User image

Chicago
Awesome post man! Love that it was completely possible due to you being patient and not "HTFU"ng it...which gets so many people in trouble and/or just rushes them out of the sport quickly instead you were smart and calculated with your recovery.

Good stuff, and what a experience!

These are the type of stories I like to remember when I'm on a long run/bike and get those nagging thoughts of bagging it or just mentally feel beat up.
2014-02-18 5:59 AM
in reply to: Baowolf

User image

Chicago
+1 on the foot booties. Last year I had only 3 weeks of OWS going into CDA (Lake Michigan's beaches, in Chicago anyhow, do not open up until Memorial Day weekend). Those 3 weeks the water was high 40s, low 50s and my feet/ankles would be numb for quite a while afterwards..not something I wanted to experience race day by any stretch of the imagination. Ended up investing in some booties but thankfully did not have to use them for the race. Last year was a freakish weather miracle..not expecting that this year.

Anyhow, I'd strongly suggest investing in obviously a neoprene cap (I use DeSoto's) as well as the booties far in advance of the race. Better safe than sorry.
2014-02-18 8:36 AM
in reply to: Skipjack_50

User image

Regular
Originally posted by Skipjack_50

+1 on the foot booties. Last year I had only 3 weeks of OWS going into CDA (Lake Michigan's beaches, in Chicago anyhow, do not open up until Memorial Day weekend). Those 3 weeks the water was high 40s, low 50s and my feet/ankles would be numb for quite a while afterwards..not something I wanted to experience race day by any stretch of the imagination. Ended up investing in some booties but thankfully did not have to use them for the race. Last year was a freakish weather miracle..not expecting that this year.

Anyhow, I'd strongly suggest investing in obviously a neoprene cap (I use DeSoto's) as well as the booties far in advance of the race. Better safe than sorry.

Any suggestions on swim booties/sock brands? Any idea how much they slow you down?
2014-02-18 9:34 AM

User image

Outstanding post, citaltfort. Thank you for sharing all that. Inspirational, indeed!

How's training going for everyone?

2014-02-18 9:39 AM
in reply to: rbhancock1

User image

Veteran
Seattle, Washington
Originally posted by rbhancock1

Outstanding post, citaltfort. Thank you for sharing all that. Inspirational, indeed!

x2

Training is moving along so far. Not looking forward to having to find another show to watch on the trainer when I get through the new season of House of Cards! I figure I have two weeks left...
2014-02-18 2:08 PM
in reply to: tallytom

User image

Chicago
No idea on how much they slow you down..in fact I doubt they do at all unless you're a highly competitive swimmer. If anything they are going to keep your feet/legs even more in the slipstream..

Candidly though even if they somehow added 5 minutes to my swim I'd take that over the alternative.

Number of brands out there, I believe mine are made by Tyre (neoprene cap made by DeSoto though).
2014-02-18 2:31 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Spokane, WA
Originally posted by citaltfort

Aw man, I'm sorry to hear that. Good luck with the MRI. I hope you get answers and it's nothing serious. Knowing was is wrong is a big part of the battle. Definitely get in with a good PT and be a good patient to get back on the road. In the hopes that it gives you more encouragement, here's the deal with my ankle in 2011. I hope it isn't too boring.

I stepped in a hole while running in the dark on Jan. 26 and ruptured one ligament and partially tore another. I got lucky that the loose ends of the ligament were right next to each other so I didn't need surgery. The first thing I asked the doctor was about this little race I wanted to do at the end of June. He told me right away that I wouldn't be 100% by then, but I could probably get to about 70% by then if I was good with PT. He said the reality was it would be a about a year before it returned to it's normal size and strength. That turned out to be true, but sometimes 70% is enough.

I was in a boot for almost all of February. Through March it was just a ton of PT and slowly regaining strength with super basic exercises, ultrasound, etc. I think it was about seven weeks after the injury when the PT let me pedal my bike on the trainer for a few minutes, but no flexing the ankle and no clipping in. In late February, I could only do light pool running in the deep end with no ankle flexing and some pulling with a buoy, but no kicking. A couple of weeks later, I was clipping in on the bike and could ride for quite a while. By April, I could clip in and ride as much as I wanted until the ankle needed a break. I couldn't pedal with much power, but it felt great to ride. I didn't get out on the road to ride until mid-May, but I put in a ton of miles on the trainer that spring. It wasn't until some time in April when I could lightly kick while swimming, but it was really week.

It wasn't until May that I could walk around without discomfort or worrying about stubbing my toe and tweaking the ankle. By this point, I was convinced I would have to either drop out of the race or just do an unofficial aqua bike and drop out before the run. Since it was going to be my first IM, I figured I could swallow my pride and absorb the experience to use for future races. By mid-May, the ankle really started to come around and I went from lightly running five steps in the PT's office to actually running a mile in pretty short order. I had to stick with the treadmill, but shortly I could do four miles on the treadmill twice a week. By this point, I started talking with my PT about possibly walking the marathon. She wasn't opposed to it, but wanted to wait to make the call and said I would have to be very careful. The end of May and the first two weeks of June were like magic. In about three weeks I was able to progress from running 4-5 miles on the treadmill to doing a long run of 10 miles about 10 days before CdA. That's the point where my PT gave me the ok to do the whole race and even run some of the marathon, but I'd have to walk most of it.

Race day went off very well, relatively speaking. The swim was super slow since it was the 54 degree water year and my kick was still very weak. The swim was actually the hardest part of the day on the ankle. On the bike, I just used all of those trainer miles to spin through the ride. After T2, I just started running and it felt fine. I had a plan to run from aid station to aid station and walk through the stations for the first five miles. That worked out so well, I just kept doing it. As the race went on, I would walk further after each station. It took me about 90 minutes longer than normal to do the marathon, but I actually wound up running close to 20 miles of it and the ankle didn't bother me a bit. That was a sweet finish line.

The thing that helped me the most through rehab was realizing that by resting my ankle, only doing what I was allowed, and trying to eat well, I was actually doing training for the IM. It was just in a different way than normal. Every day that I did things right was another day that I was closer to the goal than the previous day. So I guess what I would say to you is be patient, get good help, and don't give up. You have time and you can get there. Your body can do amazing things if you let it and treat it right.

Good luck!

Thanks Brad! Excellent run down of how you made it work for you! You are a STUD sir, for making the finish line on extremely abbreviated training! You must have had some serious base fitness prior to the injury...?

Thanks a ton for the post.. It's a big encouragement with a nagging injury.
2014-02-18 4:20 PM
in reply to: soretaint

Brad - awesome post! It helps me understand that I must care for my knee and just follow thru if PT is required. Even though training may get sidetracked its part if the process. I hope if I am in that situation I have half the strength and perseverance you had. Btw, I have been icing more and feel a ton better. Had the day off yesterday and it helped.

John - good luck with your ankle I hope it all works out in you favor.

Steve - thanks for the tips. I went to bike shop for re-fit and it was adjusted down slightly. Road for 45 mins making paying attention to form and no real issues.
2014-02-18 10:11 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
I pulled a calf muscle about 7 weeks before CDA when I did it. Had a similar recovery got up to 10 miles before the taper and was able to jog most of the race, walked aid stations. Was slower, but ended up sub 13 hours. Hang in there. I really recommend walking if you can walk and not run. I was walking 20 miles a week even when I couldn't run on the leg.

2014-02-18 10:59 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olympia, WA

Thanks Brad! Excellent run down of how you made it work for you! You are a STUD sir, for making the finish line on extremely abbreviated training! You must have had some serious base fitness prior to the injury...?

Thanks a ton for the post.. It's a big encouragement with a nagging injury.

Thanks all! I'm glad that was a helpful post. I had a decent base before the injury just because I'm always doing some kind of endurance activity. I think what carried me through the race was the biking. Between the time I could ride the trainer clipped into my pedals and the race, I logged a ton of miles.

How did the MRI go?

Unfortunately, I'm experiencing a similar situation as you this time around. I developed achilles tendonitis a few weeks ago. It's appears to be just minor, but I'm not taking any chances. I've been doing a ton of swimming and elliptical (it doesn't bother my achilles), but that's it after it became apparent it was going to take a while to get past it. I've been down this road before with patellar tendonitis that I ignored and let get so bad that it started to split (not recommended). That cost me six months so I'm not going to let that happen again. I'm due to try a short test run on the treadmill tomorrow, but I've already accepted this will be a slow road back. It's hard though because I'm going to Boston for the marathon and I've already had to adjust that goal from racing it to (hopefully) having a training run. Goal #1 is just to get to that start line healthy because I don't want to miss that race this year. Besides, I figure if I can get there healthy and not overdo it during the event, I should be fine for CdA.

Take care,

Edited by citaltfort 2014-02-18 11:11 PM
2014-02-18 11:04 PM
in reply to: Baowolf

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olympia, WA
Originally posted by Baowolf

I pulled a calf muscle about 7 weeks before CDA when I did it. Had a similar recovery got up to 10 miles before the taper and was able to jog most of the race, walked aid stations. Was slower, but ended up sub 13 hours. Hang in there. I really recommend walking if you can walk and not run. I was walking 20 miles a week even when I couldn't run on the leg.

Ouch! How did that feel in the cold water? Lots of people get hamstring and calf cramps in the cold water even without injuries. I very much agree about walking. I used to scoff at walking for training and walking during marathons. After 2011, I became a big believer. Especially in an ironman, walking through the aid stations really does give your legs just enough of a break to leave you feeling much better in the last few miles.
2014-02-18 11:05 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olympia, WA

Brad - awesome post! It helps me understand that I must care for my knee and just follow thru if PT is required. Even though training may get sidetracked its part if the process. I hope if I am in that situation I have half the strength and perseverance you had. Btw, I have been icing more and feel a ton better. Had the day off yesterday and it helped.

John - good luck with your ankle I hope it all works out in you favor.

Steve - thanks for the tips. I went to bike shop for re-fit and it was adjusted down slightly. Road for 45 mins making paying attention to form and no real issues.

Excellent! I hope it continues to improve for you.
2014-02-19 12:45 AM
in reply to: papson14

User image

Canyon, Texas
Thanks to Ironman's pilot "Transfer" program, I got myself out of IMLT and into IMCDA... I'm actually looking forward to those bike hills! :D Also, I'm glad I'm not the only knucklehead doing IMTX and IMCDA six weeks later!
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 27

RELATED POSTS

Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 53 54 55 56

Started by mallen4574
Views: 139246 Posts: 1392

2012-07-13 1:04 PM thedallasceliac

Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 168 169 170 171

Started by TexasMPGal
Views: 384033 Posts: 4272

2011-12-05 11:46 AM RunRene

Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 50 51 52 53

Started by T in Liberty Lake
Views: 135241 Posts: 1313

2012-07-26 8:19 PM smithe68

Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread

Started by Lance 140.6
Views: 3683 Posts: 10

2010-04-08 10:16 PM hoopmaj

Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 61742 Posts: 579

2009-06-24 2:09 PM ironlib
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 23, 2012
author : ytriguy
comments : 0
Often it makes sense to race slower in order to finish faster and at the same time have a more enjoyable Ironman Triathlon experience.

date : August 17, 2007
author : IRONVIKING
Athletes were buzzing around, adding last minute things to their transition bags. The sidewalks and grassy areas are filled with spectators and cameras. Announcements were being made.
date : July 10, 2007
Eating To Win, Eating To Live. A collection of heart-healthy recipes that fuels Ironman training. Also some pre-race thoughts before Ironman Coeur d’Alene.

date : May 11, 2007
When it comes down to it, it’s me who has to believe I can run a full marathon after swimming and biking, and no amount of others’ belief in me is going to help.
date : April 12, 2007
The first month of training is in the books. I am learning several tips that could help you along the way on your Ironman quest.

date : April 12, 2007
How BT is preparing me for the Coeur d'Alene IronMan.
date : June 4, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
I was not an official; I simply observed the race and the officials doing their thing. Here is what I saw:

date : September 5, 2004
author : Team BT
Ironman Couer d'Alene 2003 - Inspirational first ironman triathlon devoted to his wife battling cancer.