BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Enders_Shadow's Group - eating clean & getting lean - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 18

2014-02-05 9:49 PM
in reply to: mehaner

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC
Subject: RE: Enders_Shadow's Group - eating clean & getting lean - FULL
Marilyn - I have a bit of a different take on wine and beer. In moderation they are healthy options for anyone. Years ago I read a serious research article that essentially said heavy drinkers are considerably less healthy than non-drinkers BUT moderate drinkers (one 3-4oz glass of wine/one beer - no combining) are healthier than non-drinkers.

I'm not saying it's okay to drink everyday but on occasion it is good for you. A good quality beer is a good recovery drink especially when you combine with a good protein. And a really cold beer on a really hot day after a good workout is just too good to miss. So, enjoy a beer or wine at times completely guilt free just don't over do it.

I too always feel good after a good workout. Glad you felt better after your run.

I had a good swim and run today plus I ate well and cut my carb intake nicely. My blood sugar came down a little but not enough. I'll keep at it. On the bright side my weight is down a little more and if I can hold it here I can claim 6lbs so far.

2014-02-06 8:26 AM
in reply to: wenceslasz

User image

Champion
Out running or enjoying a fine glass of red...
Hey, all - traveling again. Thankfully for the last time until mid-March. I'm getting kind of bored of traveling, although it was really nice to run this morning in Florida.

I'm with you, George - a little beer or wine, in moderation, is a good thing - so long as that thing works for you. I'm a big fan, myself.
2014-02-06 3:11 PM
in reply to: #4915315

George: I am on day 6 and have stayed on the wagon. I am using MFP to track my foods while on this thing because I can eat quite a bit especially with the fats that are allowed.

2014-02-06 3:14 PM
in reply to: #4945494

I swam 400 meters on Monday and have not worked out since. Spending all my time in the kitchen ;-) I am riding Saturday (15-20 miles) and may do some cardio later or tomorrow. Still have Phys Therapy exercises to do as well.

Diet has been good. I actually like this diet. It is killer that I can't have certain foods...but when I look at that compared to the awesome discoveries that I have made with making rice out of cauliflower...it works :-)
2014-02-06 9:33 PM
in reply to: michmich

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC
Originally posted by michmich

George: I am on day 6 and have stayed on the wagon. I am using MFP to track my foods while on this thing because I can eat quite a bit especially with the fats that are allowed.

Excellent! I looked up the "Whole 30" and found a website. It sounds like something that could be good for me. I'm seriously considering it.
2014-02-07 7:35 AM
in reply to: #4945499

George: they have the plan rules and a section on "can I have xyz?" there on the site. They also have like a shopping list and the foods in a grid by type on pinterest.

Pinterest is a goldmine of recipes and several bloggers have done the 30 days and taken pics of their meal planning for the time. Makes it super easy.

2014-02-07 8:13 AM

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

you guys got me looking into whole 30

hmmm.......

2014-02-07 10:35 AM

User image

Champion
Originally posted by mehaner

you guys got me looking into whole 30

hmmm.......

The Whole 30 is interesting - I've tried to work through it but have never made the Whole 30 days...that being said, even when I fell off the Whole 30 wagon, I was much more conscious about what I was eating and "cheated" far less. Their book (It Starts With Food) had a tone that I didn't really love, but the plan basics on the website are pretty clear. I'm not convinced I could Whole 30 while training hard - I just don't feel like eating dates and sweet potatoes when I'm on a long run...give me my Gu.
2014-02-07 11:41 AM
in reply to: enders_shadow

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
Not trying to be negative Nancy here, but just wanted to give my perspective...

I did Whole 30 and made it about 40 days. It was just not for me. I was exhausted and had no energy the entire time. I was on a website and it provided meals and shopping lists, so it made it easy, but I was always cooking and spent a ton of money on food.

Towards the end I started incorporating carbs and legumes back into the plan on my own and felt 100% better. I found that a modified whole 30 worked much better for me and gave me the energy I needed to fuel my workouts. Plus, I just could not keep spending that much money on food!

But, there are plenty of people that do it and love it, so just keep an open mind going into it.
2014-02-07 12:16 PM
in reply to: chichitao

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

Originally posted by chichitao Not trying to be negative Nancy here, but just wanted to give my perspective... I did Whole 30 and made it about 40 days. It was just not for me. I was exhausted and had no energy the entire time. I was on a website and it provided meals and shopping lists, so it made it easy, but I was always cooking and spent a ton of money on food. Towards the end I started incorporating carbs and legumes back into the plan on my own and felt 100% better. I found that a modified whole 30 worked much better for me and gave me the energy I needed to fuel my workouts. Plus, I just could not keep spending that much money on food! But, there are plenty of people that do it and love it, so just keep an open mind going into it.

i already cook almost everything i eat...so i'm not worried about that.  i'm good at planning ahead and cooking and stuff.

as for expensive...any more expensive than any kind of whole food diet?  my grocery bill is mostly produce and meat now.

i think the biggest issue will be getting the husband on board.  maybe i will just clean it up a little more without going "whole 30."  i am still recovering from my superbowl binge.  blah.

2014-02-07 4:13 PM
in reply to: #4945811

One of the things they stress on there is that this strict is not sustainable and only recommend going 30 days.

Right now I am hitting my carbs with a boat load of food because when there is no rice, noodles or sugar...that leaves veggies and fruits. I got to eat a whole head of cauliflower yesterday. A beautiful thing.

2014-02-08 9:16 AM

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

Originally posted by michmich One of the things they stress on there is that this strict is not sustainable and only recommend going 30 days.  

hmmm...this statement makes me re-think it.  why choose a diet that is not sustainable?  what is the point then?  i'm not a fan of that...

2014-02-08 11:15 AM
in reply to: #4946144

It is really to jump start you. They allow NO sweetners of any kind for the 30 days. I am using it to get the sugar beast off my back (kind of like a 21 day sugar detox) while eating wholesome foods and fats. Can I see never in my life having a sweet again? Oh hell no. However this reset is making things sweeter on my tongue...you can't tell me the banana I had this morning wasn't candy :-) Most long term eating plans need more flexibility than this one has to be sustainable so while this is super strict Paleo...you can go into regular paleo as time goes on. Very similar...but on regular paleo...I can have paleo pancakes...and vanilla extract with real maple syrup. Can you tell what I am craving? ;-)
2014-02-09 8:04 AM

User image

Expert
Ontario

Originally posted by michmich One of the things they stress on there is that this strict is not sustainable and only recommend going 30 days.  

hmmm...this statement makes me re-think it.  why choose a diet that is not sustainable?  what is the point then?  i'm not a fan of that...

I agree with this - I see a lot of people on BT (I love the BT blogger feature and look at a lot of people's blogs here) who start the Whole30 and really struggle with it after a short time - feeling deprived and 'quitting'.  I don't think cutting out whole food groups is a good thing. Unless you have an actual allergy to milk or wheat why would you want to cut dairy and grains?  I eat yogurt and drink milk, eat brown rice, oatmeal, quinoa, WW toast with pb.  These are all healthy foods for me.  My biggest problem is portion control.  I can eat a truckers breakfast or a huge plate of pasta.  I have to be very mindful of  my portion size, using a smaller plate can help with this as the plate is still 'full' but you aren't getting as much.

I think for most of us, most of the time,  it's not WHAT we eat that is the problem, it's HOW MUCH we shovel into the pie hole !!

2014-02-09 8:41 AM
in reply to: cathyd

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

Originally posted by cathyd

I agree with this - I see a lot of people on BT (I love the BT blogger feature and look at a lot of people's blogs here) who start the Whole30 and really struggle with it after a short time - feeling deprived and 'quitting'.  I don't think cutting out whole food groups is a good thing. Unless you have an actual allergy to milk or wheat why would you want to cut dairy and grains?  I eat yogurt and drink milk, eat brown rice, oatmeal, quinoa, WW toast with pb.  These are all healthy foods for me.  My biggest problem is portion control.  I can eat a truckers breakfast or a huge plate of pasta.  I have to be very mindful of  my portion size, using a smaller plate can help with this as the plate is still 'full' but you aren't getting as much.

I think for most of us, most of the time,  it's not WHAT we eat that is the problem, it's HOW MUCH we shovel into the pie hole !!

one of the whole 30 "rules" is NOT to think about portion control/calorie counting.  

i have a terrible habit of continuing to eat past full that i don't know how to break.  i have broken the nervous/bored snacking habit.

i am going to cook up a pile of whole30 recipes this week, but not sure about the plan in general.  i don't like to eat dairy, but i do like to be able to have brown rice or potatoes sometimes.

COOKING PLAN FOR TODAY:

chipotle pork and pineapple coleslaw

italian chili as a sauce on spaghetti squash

sweet potato quiche

breakfast meatloaf

i'm looking for a perfect 10 every (weekday) this week.  today - leftover chicken parm and wine after my 9 mile run!

2014-02-09 9:47 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC
Hi All - I've been mildly under the weather yesterday and today. Nothing too bad just a very raw throat. No other symptoms. I ran yesterday (before I had the throat issue) and rested today. Tomorrow, I'll swim and run I hope.

Unfortunately, my throat hasn't decreased my appetite much. I have still managed to eat fairly healthy but my portions have been a bit more than they should be. My weight dropped dramatically last week (even blasted through the 180 mark) but I'm afraid tomorrow will be a bit of a bounce back. Maybe I'll avoid the scales until after I get in a good swim and run, eh.

I really admire how some of you are able to prepare meals ahead of time. I really struggle with this and often don't know what I'll make until it is time to do it. (I do manage to take things out of the freezer to thaw properly whenever necessary).

2014-02-10 6:56 AM

User image

Expert
Ontario

It's Monday, lets all check in.

For eating the past week I give myself a 7/10.  Most days I planned ahead.  I did a couple meals in the crockpot and freezed the leftovers so I have 5 or 6 meals in the freezer.  Twice my husband brought home junk which I  have a hard time staying out of. 

My weight was 140 - 141 all week, one morning it was 139 but that didn't last.  My goal for this week is to get to 139 and stay there.

How is everyone else doing?

2014-02-10 9:40 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC
Checking in - I hadn't thought of how well I'm doing (or not doing) but I think I can claim an honest 70% or better. My bigger issue is still portion control. The food I'm eating is pretty good but at times I eat more than I should. I can say I've lost 5lbs or more since we started but my blood sugar has stayed higher than I'd like in spite of cutting back on sugars and starches (I have done quite well in reducing/restricting my bread consumption).

We haven't been out for any restaurant food for quite awhile (mid-November) but we will be going out for Valentine's Day this week and I am planning to eat whatever I want.

My wife eats better than I do so I never get any junk food surprises except for occasional Miss Vicki's chips.

I had a really good swim today and made my training partner work harder than he expected (he's very competitive so a bit of a shock for him). Then I came home and did a treadmill run. I'm hoping I'll be able to run outside after today if the weather will cooperate.

Edited by wenceslasz 2014-02-10 9:45 PM
2014-02-11 6:42 AM
in reply to: wenceslasz

User image

Champion
Hey, all -

I've always viewed Whole 30 or 21 day sugar detox or the like as ways to change cravings, etc. Probably more important to get people who eat a bunch of processed crap over to the whole-food-side. I tend to head those places after a bad time, like holidays where I'm all sugar and booze and stuff. Taking some of the food out completely changes my taste buds back to normal.

I love the sweet potato quiche, idea - Marilyn...mmm - will be making that this weekend while hubby is gone (he won't eat sweet potatoes).

Portion control is important - I'm not sure I've figured it all out myself. I waver between too little and too much...working with a nutritionist now. She advised me to worry less about stuff until after the marathon next month. Just eat as I'm hungry (and drink a little less...).

2014-02-11 7:40 AM
in reply to: enders_shadow

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

husband and i are on day 2 of whole 30.  we are undecided if we are going the whole 30, but just trying it out for now.  we shall see how it goes.  some of the food is great (the italian chili recipe - use a can of crushed tomatoes instead of spaghetti sauce, amazeballs!) some not so much (the breakfast meatloaf, kale) but i like the variety so far.

2014-02-11 1:42 PM
in reply to: #4915315

Check in:
Last week diet wise was 8/10. I definitely overate a couple days. I did stick to the W30 plan just more than I knew was good.

Exercise: not back to hitting it 100% yet. Only biked and swam 1 day each.

This week I am working on increasing my workouts and sticking to my plan.

2014-02-11 1:57 PM
in reply to: #4947883

I have been eating some great stuff on whole 30.

Cauliflower Fried Rice. I did not use bacon as could not fund any sugar free. Made it with shrimp and anchovies for unami since also no fish/soy sauce.
www.steamykitchen.com/31325-paleo-cauliflower-bacon-fried-rice-video-recipe.html

Shepherd's Pie...it has a secret :-) no cheese or tomato sauce for W30. Still amazing.
www.ovenloveblog.com/shepherds-pie-with-cauliflower-topping-gaps-paleo-grain-free-dairy-free-option/

Coconut Shrimp..but I used fish and chix for another day. I did fish on stove top but chicken in oven.
https://theresesattempts.wordpress.com/2013/06/08/whole-30-coconut-s...

For sides I have been eating veggies like brussel sprouts, cauliflower, sweet potatoes, broccoli slaw.

I have a sweet tooth that I am use coconut milk with some fruit to curb. Also coconut butter as well.

2014-02-12 7:01 AM

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

Originally posted by michmich I have been eating some great stuff on whole 30. Cauliflower Fried Rice. I did not use bacon as could not fund any sugar free. Made it with shrimp and anchovies for unami since also no fish/soy sauce. www.steamykitchen.com/31325-paleo-cauliflower-bacon-fried-rice-video-recipe.html

Shepherd's Pie...it has a secret :-) no cheese or tomato sauce for W30. Still amazing. www.ovenloveblog.com/shepherds-pie-with-cauliflower-topping-gaps-paleo-grain-free-dairy-free-option/

I have a sweet tooth that I am use coconut milk with some fruit to curb. Also coconut butter as well.

while technically compliant, aren't these things not in the spirit of the plan?  sex with your pants on, psychological cravings, etc??

2014-02-12 9:23 AM

User image

Veteran
I think the sex with your pants on is reserved for baked goods.
2014-02-12 2:06 PM
in reply to: #4947889

http://whole30.com/2013/06/the-official-can-i-have-guide-to-the-who...

Coconut/Almond Flour
Yes, you can have coconut flour, but it’s context-dependent. You can use it in place of breadcrumbs in your meatballs, to dredge a piece of chicken, or to thicken a sauce or stew.

^^how I used it as well as the dried coconut.

Did not use it like this:
You may not use it for Paleo baking—to make muffins, pancakes, bread, cupcakes, cookies, pizza crust, or anything of that nature. We call those recipes Sex With Your Pants On foods, and they are expressly off-limits during your Whole30.

Nothing wrong with mashed Cauliflower either as far as I know. I read and read that link before I started. It is all good. Whole 30 can be fun. Nom Nom Paleo has done it twice and has all her recipes on her site.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Enders_Shadow's Group - eating clean & getting lean - FULL Rss Feed  

of 18

RELATED POSTS

BrotherTri’s - Triathlon Training Support Group - CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13

Started by BrotherTri
Views: 19906 Posts: 308

2014-04-13 8:12 AM mcmanusclan5

Daffodil and JuniperJen’s New Parents Tri’ing Group - OPEN Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14

Started by juniperjen
Views: 24541 Posts: 329

2014-07-12 2:16 PM Happyinmarin

Shane's (gsmacleod) Coaching Mentor Group - Open Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by gsmacleod
Views: 16210 Posts: 116

2014-05-14 7:37 AM Dominion

Birkierunner's (Jim Kelley) General + Long Course Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 29732 Posts: 415

2014-05-16 9:06 AM Birkierunner

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.

date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips
date : September 10, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 6
Should I be working on getting faster at running by doing the longer distances and working up slowly over time or run faster for shorter distances now?

date : May 12, 2009
author : mat steinmetz
I'm too slow for some group rides and of course I want to increase it for races. What exercise/training should I be focusing on?
date : March 5, 2009
author : mrakes1
Discussions on an eating plan to lose weight, lean protein sources, being hungry, recovery foods, eggs and Marni's favorite supplements.

date : March 2, 2009
author : FitWerx
comments : 5
Dirty bike chain? Have you ever thought about cleaning it? We cover the basics of how to clean your bike chain and the use of different cleaners, degreasers and lubricants.
date : April 1, 2008
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 1
Coaches and parents alike want their athletes to eat well and be healthy. The struggling athletes just want people to stop policing their eating and exercise.

date : February 7, 2008
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 1
The suggestions guide you towards an eating style that's simple and practical, yet can effectively help you eat well to perform well, despite today’s bewildering food environment.