BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia ~~~~ Permanently OPEN!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 114

2014-06-17 8:35 AM
in reply to: spudone

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas
Subject: RE: SBR Utopia ~~~~ Permanently OPEN!!

Wow - that is a very cool tool!  Agreed that the ride analysis and overall pages are awesome.  More data!  Now, to figure out how to use it rather than just enjoy it…  

Score is 96.51, FWIW.  Anyone seen a way to show which 100 segments they use to calculate it?  Was trying to see how performance on a segment compared to the field (per VV's scoring) and what the top 100 looked like...

Matt

2014-06-17 8:44 AM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2014-06-17 8:46 AM
in reply to: BrotherTri

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by BrotherTri Well I am feeling freakishly strong for Syracuse 70.3 this weekend. It is really scary to have all this fitness so late in life. The only thing I can think of that has contributed to this is all the running. This is the 4th month of 160+ miles and Jan and Feb were 140+ miles. Now I have done my share of millage before but it was different with a lot of long runs. So no more of that for me. It's run everyday 95% ez, occasional long runs and intensity before race. That is my ticket especially if I punch it at Syracuse. Don't get me wrong I am no longer a speed demon, just a very well rounded age grouper triathalete. I am blessed to still be racing.Oh btw I am short by few runs equaling the number of the days in the year. Never thought I would do that. Also pretty sure I will finish (God willing) 2014 with equal days running. Now to go and spank myself on the bike.

I'm not sure what you trained like when "younger," but you've handled a ton of volume this year without injury (perhaps that's because of the way you've approached running?) - so the fitness is well earned, in any event.

I wonder if not working as much on the top end speed just won't be an issue with a 70.3.  Running that race fast is still a very different type of effort than, say, the kick at the end of an open 5k (or even an open 5k).  I suspect that the relative decrease of focus on intensity might actually get you to the HIM starting line with more in the tank (as you were able to train with high volume and "targeted" intensity) than if you'd been doing fewer miles and a lot more intensity running - with the attendant risk of injury and such.

I know that I'm coming around to that approach to running after the last year (Arend, it seems you've trained more along those lines this year as well?).  I absolutely love track work and interval training, but I think I have to start looking at it as dessert rather than the main course in my running...

Tear it up this weekend!

Matt

2014-06-17 8:48 AM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

Anyone else feel that it's easier to keep good form when running tempo to threshold?  Even when I focus on form and cadence, recovery runs just aren't "pretty," and my bum knee feels better going fast than easy.  I can usually hold decent form at long run pace, but even that requires much more conscious effort.

Matt

Yeah, feel that at a decent tempo, but not quite up at threshold. Feels great letting things out, but it's not so hard that I'm straining to keep it going. At least not for awhile. As for the recovery runs, are you talking actual recovery from them or combining that with easy runs? Some of the ones I do at a very easy pace do feel awful, but I'm also rather tired going into them. The idea is to just get some motion going and loosen things up. On easy runs then, in the past I have felt not as effective on them, but think there have been several reasons for that though not sure I can remember all of them at the moment. Had been noticing too much in the specifics of the motion and since the stride was shorter at a slower speed, it felt a bit wrong or less effective. Could be more used to pushing the pace too much, or if the knee has been hampering training and you're not as fast it may feel a bit off at the slower speeds. Also, people like us tend to like pushing the pace or effort more, and it's going to feel off when we're not doing so.

2014-06-17 8:52 AM
in reply to: Fred D

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by Fred D

Wow - that is a very cool tool!  Agreed that the ride analysis and overall pages are awesome.  More data!  Now, to figure out how to use it rather than just enjoy it…  

Score is 96.51, FWIW.  Anyone seen a way to show which 100 segments they use to calculate it?  Was trying to see how performance on a segment compared to the field (per VV's scoring) and what the top 100 looked like...

Matt

I think if you go to YOUR SEGMENTS it lists them in order.

*I* think the biggest disadvantage I have out here in central PA is not enough riders on some KOMs, and yet we have a ton of uber fast riders including PSU kids and pro cyclists. Then again in a bigger area supposedly it accounts for that. My point is that you might have really killed a KOM segment, however if only 30 people have ridden it, it can only count so much.

Very fun tool though!

Thanks.  Yep - just click on the score when in the Your Segments page and it puts them in descending order (sort of a punch list for skewing the data in your favor!).  

Agreed that the law of small numbers could bite you wrt their scoring.  Probably most "accurate" (for whatever it actually tells you) with a larger data set.  Hey, that's just a good reason for some bike focused vacationing!

All I know is that I'm screwed once we move to Austin.  Was just looking on Strava for cool segments and noticed that LA had the KOM - on only SOME OF THE SEGMENTS!  WTF?  I'm going to beat the dudes that beat the dude?  Not bloody likely.  

Matt

2014-06-17 8:55 AM

Master
Northern IL

Matt

I think if you go to YOUR SEGMENTS it lists them in order.

*I* think the biggest disadvantage I have out here in central PA is not enough riders on some KOMs, and yet we have a ton of uber fast riders including PSU kids and pro cyclists. Then again in a bigger area supposedly it accounts for that. My point is that you might have really killed a KOM segment, however if only 30 people have ridden it, it can only count so much.

Very fun tool though!

Thanks.  Yep - just click on the score when in the Your Segments page and it puts them in descending order (sort of a punch list for skewing the data in your favor!).  

Agreed that the law of small numbers could bite you wrt their scoring.  Probably most "accurate" (for whatever it actually tells you) with a larger data set.  Hey, that's just a good reason for some bike focused vacationing!

All I know is that I'm screwed once we move to Austin.  Was just looking on Strava for cool segments and noticed that LA had the KOM - on only SOME OF THE SEGMENTS!  WTF?  I'm going to beat the dudes that beat the dude?  Not bloody likely.  

Matt

Some people have gone faster than this guy named "A Starky" around here.

2014-06-17 9:22 AM

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Some of my thoughts on velo score. Segments are the key, but you got to know them. Yes they are displayed but only after so now you got to go re ride if you were taken it ez. I log ALL my rides. Those that don't may have fresher legs on the next logged ride. Go ez on downhills it does not count for the score. Your score will change without you do anything if more people ride that segment. I went from 91.86 to 91.90 since my last ride. Oh it can go down as well. Bottom line to get better a score target segments and get fitter. Btw I ride for the ride not the segment but I may hit a few just so I don't get pissed off over nothing.
2014-06-17 9:39 AM

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Ok further explanation on thoughts of riding segments. I have one segment that has two different approaches. One approach is a more so long and gradual. The other approach has two 1/4 mile 8% grades. Guess which I ride? I ride another that is well ridden 6% 3 mile climb that is 30 mile from my start. Well actually I have done it after 90 miles. Maybe I should drive out set up the trainer and TT that bastards.
2014-06-17 9:46 AM
in reply to: brigby1

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Originally posted by brigby1

Anyone else feel that it's easier to keep good form when running tempo to threshold?  Even when I focus on form and cadence, recovery runs just aren't "pretty," and my bum knee feels better going fast than easy.  I can usually hold decent form at long run pace, but even that requires much more conscious effort.

Matt

Yeah, feel that at a decent tempo, but not quite up at threshold. Feels great letting things out, but it's not so hard that I'm straining to keep it going. At least not for awhile. As for the recovery runs, are you talking actual recovery from them or combining that with easy runs? Some of the ones I do at a very easy pace do feel awful, but I'm also rather tired going into them. The idea is to just get some motion going and loosen things up. On easy runs then, in the past I have felt not as effective on them, but think there have been several reasons for that though not sure I can remember all of them at the moment. Had been noticing too much in the specifics of the motion and since the stride was shorter at a slower speed, it felt a bit wrong or less effective. Could be more used to pushing the pace too much, or if the knee has been hampering training and you're not as fast it may feel a bit off at the slower speeds. Also, people like us tend to like pushing the pace or effort more, and it's going to feel off when we're not doing so.

OK So have you tried different cadence is at a slow speed or change in form. That got me through it but general tempo is my king of comfort. Which Bryan Dunn kept telling me I ran to much and he was right.
2014-06-17 9:46 AM

Master
Guilford, CT

Keep it up James!

Got a question for the bike racers, is it normal to feel some soreness in the elbows from riding the road bike more aggressively? For Sunday's race I rode with elbows bent much more than the lighter bend I'll train with. Not as familiar with the road position, more so when trying to be aggressive in a race, mostly making sure I'm not doing something to be concerned with. Feels more like something on the end of the muscle near the surface than deeper in. First guess is that it's just fatigue from doing something it hasn't really been asked to do so much of.

yes, I think it is. When I ride more aggressively, I do bend my elbows more and have soreness the next few days. I agree the discomfort is likely fatigue.

Yes, you get used to it quickly though. I've had numb hands, sore triceps and elbows and all that stuff.

When you are used to leaning on your forearms all the time, takes a bit to get used to holding yourself up. Actually had it for a little this spring shifting from indoor riding to outdoor riding too.
2014-06-17 10:38 AM

Master
Guilford, CT

haha, check this thing out. I added it to my training log.

Honestly, the segment chasing thing has become a bit of a joke around me. We don't have a 5 mile climb at 7% that 3000 people have done so it you have to sort of take it for what it is worth. I see guys tailgunning fast group efforts to just come around at the end and take the KOM. Pretty lame in my opinion but whatever. I don't care and I know that if you want to really measure yourself you have to toe the line in a race. I have a few pages of KOMs that I know some stronger guys near me could wipe out by the end of the month if they cared. They don't care about strava segments though, they care about winning races and they don't ride to chase KOMs on strava...so have to take it for what it is worth....

It is pretty cool though. I especially like seeing my previous results on segments over time.

2014-06-17 10:43 AM
in reply to: JAYCT

2014-06-17 10:45 AM

2014-06-17 11:28 AM
in reply to: JAYCT

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by JAYCT

Keep it up James!

Got a question for the bike racers, is it normal to feel some soreness in the elbows from riding the road bike more aggressively? For Sunday's race I rode with elbows bent much more than the lighter bend I'll train with. Not as familiar with the road position, more so when trying to be aggressive in a race, mostly making sure I'm not doing something to be concerned with. Feels more like something on the end of the muscle near the surface than deeper in. First guess is that it's just fatigue from doing something it hasn't really been asked to do so much of.

yes, I think it is. When I ride more aggressively, I do bend my elbows more and have soreness the next few days. I agree the discomfort is likely fatigue.

Yes, you get used to it quickly though. I've had numb hands, sore triceps and elbows and all that stuff. When you are used to leaning on your forearms all the time, takes a bit to get used to holding yourself up. Actually had it for a little this spring shifting from indoor riding to outdoor riding too.

Thanks guys. That's what it seemed like.

2014-06-17 11:51 AM

Master
Northern IL
2014-06-17 12:15 PM

Elite
PEI, Canada

Went for a 2.5 hour ride with Tab today.  She was on her tri bike and I figured I would ride my roadie to force me to work a bit harder (because that's such a good idea after not riding for a month).   Well my lack of bike fitness showed up and by the end she kept dropping me.  Didn't help that she was chasing Strava segments and I was going over threshold trying to stay in her draft at times!

2014-06-17 12:19 PM

Originally posted by JAYCT haha, check this thing out. I added it to my training log. Honestly, the segment chasing thing has become a bit of a joke around me. We don't have a 5 mile climb at 7% that 3000 people have done so it you have to sort of take it for what it is worth. I see guys tailgunning fast group efforts to just come around at the end and take the KOM. Pretty lame in my opinion but whatever. I don't care and I know that if you want to really measure yourself you have to toe the line in a race. I have a few pages of KOMs that I know some stronger guys near me could wipe out by the end of the month if they cared. They don't care about strava segments though, they care about winning races and they don't ride to chase KOMs on strava...so have to take it for what it is worth.... It is pretty cool though. I especially like seeing my previous results on segments over time.

Yes, I've seen that a lot when I do group rides.

Strong guy starts near the back of the pack and then makes his way to the front, and even if he doesn't finish first the segment first he gets the fastest time as he 'started' the segment later.

Again, it's all for fun, even though I sometimes take it seriously lol.

I love Strava, but don't take it seriously.  It's more for my own amusement, finding new routes to ride, and challenging friends that I know personally.  I couldn't care less if a guy on a moped took all my KOMs.  

If I had a choice between having 1000 KOMs but no other ride data, or having all my ride data in Strava, but no KOMs...I'd take the latter in a heartbeat.

2014-06-17 12:44 PM
in reply to: Jason N

Master
Guilford, CT
Funny you mention that. I was trying to figure out a way to turn segments off for awhile so I didn't have to look at them.
2014-06-17 2:44 PM
in reply to: 0

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by Jason N

Originally posted by JAYCT haha, check this thing out. I added it to my training log. Honestly, the segment chasing thing has become a bit of a joke around me. We don't have a 5 mile climb at 7% that 3000 people have done so it you have to sort of take it for what it is worth. I see guys tailgunning fast group efforts to just come around at the end and take the KOM. Pretty lame in my opinion but whatever. I don't care and I know that if you want to really measure yourself you have to toe the line in a race. I have a few pages of KOMs that I know some stronger guys near me could wipe out by the end of the month if they cared. They don't care about strava segments though, they care about winning races and they don't ride to chase KOMs on strava...so have to take it for what it is worth.... It is pretty cool though. I especially like seeing my previous results on segments over time.

Yes, I've seen that a lot when I do group rides.

Strong guy starts near the back of the pack and then makes his way to the front, and even if he doesn't finish first the segment first he gets the fastest time as he 'started' the segment later.

Again, it's all for fun, even though I sometimes take it seriously lol.

I love Strava, but don't take it seriously.  It's more for my own amusement, finding new routes to ride, and challenging friends that I know personally.  I couldn't care less if a guy on a moped took all my KOMs.  

If I had a choice between having 1000 KOMs but no other ride data, or having all my ride data in Strava, but no KOMs...I'd take the latter in a heartbeat.

LMAO.  

A riding friend from one of the LBS's and his wife bombed a TON of segments moto-pacing each other with a moped (was clearly going for segments, as no sane person would moto-pace those particular roads just for race training - which would have been legit).  Several towns worth of segments are now untouchable!  

He got teased so much for blatantly chasing segments that they had to leave the state!    Of course, he gets quoted in Bicycling and Triathlete magazine now, whereas I, ummm, do not.   

About the only time I do well on segments is after the season (or if there happens to be a looooong one that coincides with a training interval/hill or the like).  I definitely have pushed for a few segments in the fall, when my riding becomes less structured and more just for fun.  That can actually be a hoot solo, but certainly not being "that guy" on a GROUP ride!

Matt

ETA an important "not"

Edited by mcmanusclan5 2014-06-17 2:45 PM
2014-06-18 9:16 AM

Veteran
Austin, Texas

RR here:  http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/RaceLog/races-view-container.asp?raceid=267507 

(wish I could edit that thing and make a "RR" link without the long title - very slick when other non-Luddites manage that one)

Matt

2014-06-18 11:35 AM
in reply to: axteraa

I know otehr people have had back issues.   Monday morning walking into work I dropped something and when I bent down to pick it up, whack!  Got one of those shooting pains things in the lower back.  I get this occasionally, and it takes a couple days to go away (with some acupuncture help) but damn it's uncomfortable.

2014-06-18 3:51 PM

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA

RR here:  http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/RaceLog/races-view-container.asp?raceid=267507 

(wish I could edit that thing and make a "RR" link without the long title - very slick when other non-Luddites manage that one)

Matt

Here you go Matt....

Matt’s Awesome Race Report

2014-06-18 4:03 PM

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA

Last intense bike for me today.  It was a windy one with mostly head winds (like 17 miles), right echelon and a few miles of tail wind.  Regardless I was hammering.   I do better with a right echelon wind then left echelon wind.  I cant figure that one out.  Anyway with this short taper I was a bit worried, but I think I'll be ok.

Anyone else racing this weekend?

2014-06-18 5:34 PM

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by BrotherTri

Matt

Here you go Matt.... 

Matt’s Awesome Race Report

DOH!

2014-06-18 9:55 PM

Master
, California

Funny I checked VeloViewer again and noticed you can click on tabs for which bike you are riding.

My overall 2014 score is currently 92.90.  But that's including my road bike that I commute on (usually with a backpack, U-lock, etc, weighing me down).

I clicked on my P4 and those rides were a 96.05

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia ~~~~ Permanently OPEN!! Rss Feed  

of 114

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's Fun In the Sun Mentor Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30

Started by Baowolf
Views: 38743 Posts: 743

2015-03-16 2:42 AM scubabrad02

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Manatee Monkey Mentors SHUT (Poptart or pet pic bribes considered) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 74224 Posts: 2488

2014-07-30 9:43 AM IndoIronYanti
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 25, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
Discussion on sinking hips, balance drills, open water freak-out, best breathing for open water swimming and head position.