BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatees 2015.3 CLOSED (or Poptarts? Pet pics?) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 104

2015-06-02 1:18 PM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
Subject: RE: Mad Manatees 2015.3 CLOSED (or Poptarts? Pet pics?)

Originally posted by popsracer

Hey Sean, before your HIM did you follow along with the plan and do the three hour ride, 45 minute swim, and 90 minute run over the weekend before your race?  Seems like a pretty big effort for 6-7 days out from the event.

Did you modify your taper at all per the plan?  Whatever you did seemd to work quite well.  Anything you would have done differently from the plan that last week?

Thanks, I'm just entering the crazy zone. 

We have a lot of tapering athletes among us this next little while.

BEWARE

2015-06-02 1:50 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by jmkizer

Hey Sean, before your HIM did you follow along with the plan and do the three hour ride, 45 minute swim, and 90 minute run over the weekend before your race?  Seems like a pretty big effort for 6-7 days out from the event.

Did you modify your taper at all per the plan?  Whatever you did seemd to work quite well.  Anything you would have done differently from the plan that last week?

BEWARE

That's great!!  There'll be some Mountain Tapers in July (me) and August (Salty, Erin, TJ, and J) and some Lowlanders in a variety of places. Yanti's her own special breed. 

2015-06-02 1:56 PM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Master
Where's the Manateapir?
2015-06-02 2:08 PM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by 4agoodlife Where's the Manateapir?

(a) Aren't they related somehow?

(b) I started thinking of what that would look like, switched from tapir to teepee, thought of a manatee in a teepee, then thought Manateepee.  Oh dear.  I think I'd better go to lunch.

2015-06-02 2:24 PM

User image

Originally posted by 4agoodlife

Originally posted by laffinrock

Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

To update on Mak:

-whispered all day yesterday...on her own volition

-stayed relatively inactive...not on her own volition

-coughing fits have subsided, breathing fairly normal, voice almost back

-I'm supposed to take her to the urgent care to show the PA she survived. J said he specifically asked we bring her to say hi...guess he was pretty worried too.

-And if a pic says 1000 words...

It looks like she so wants to jump in.  So glad she is on the mend.

Sure does!  Lightens my heart to see this pic - thanks!

Matt

Awww, she's being so good!!  Hope she continues her quick recovery.

She really, really wanted to get in. I figured the pjs would deter her, but...

I walked across the yard to empty the doggy pool, and when I turned around she was trying to get back in...au natural.   The girl cracks me up.

Erin, I just spit iced tea all over my computer! Tell Mak thanks as I needed that!

Darren, just to make you feel better, Disney changed their system so you would still have to wait in the line. However, I do think Fin deserves about 10 Disney trips for everything he's gone through and will be going through. Give him hugs from all of us!
2015-06-02 2:40 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Erin, I'm glad to see more Mak feeling better photos!  I hope that she is continuing to improve.

Darren, I'm sorry to hear about Fin.  I'm glad that you and Hannah are on top of it.  He's lucky that you have is back.  (P.S. It's not too late to schedule another trip to Disney, just saying!)

I am keeping y'all in my thoughts and prayers, as much for Moms and Dads as for the kids.

2015-06-02 2:41 PM

User image

I'm not Sean and I don't pretend to play him on TV, but I can tell you what my weekend before a 70.3 usually looks like. Last year the week before the Boulder 70.3 I did the following:
Saturday I did a 2 hour ride race prep: 15 min easy/30 min mod/30 med/30 MAD/15 minute spin in the morning. That evening I did small builders on the trainer: 15 min easy/ 15(1 min hard HR 150+/1 min harder HR 155+/30 seconds all out/2 min easy spin) 15 min cool down

Sunday was: 30/30/30 on the bike again for 2 hours total followed by a 20 min easy OTB run.

Monday: 4500 meter swim followed by a 20 min easy run.

For the Harvest Moon 70.3 in September it was a little crazier and I'm not sure you want to know what I did. In fact, I'm not sure I want to look back at it again because at the time I thought it was insane, but it worked really well for me.

Not sure what I get to do this weekend as my coach is playing each day by ear for me right now. I'm having trouble with The Limb so we're playing it safe right now.
2015-06-02 2:54 PM

User image

Katy, Texas

No I did not, and we actually had a pretty good conversation here in the thread about the plan being a little too aggressive at the end.

I ended up doing a straight 1000 yard open water swim followed by 1.5 hr on the bike on Saturday. Then Sunday I ran 60 min (~6.3 mi), with 3x8' @ HIM pace. I think that run was actually a little too much, I was sore for a couple of days after it. In general the plan didn't have nearly enough running the last 1-1.5 months IMO, but at this point it's best to just not overdo it.
2015-06-02 3:29 PM
in reply to: fortissimo

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Originally posted by fortissimo

I'm not Sean and I don't pretend to play him on TV, but I can tell you what my weekend before a 70.3 usually looks like. Last year the week before the Boulder 70.3 I did the following: Saturday I did a 2 hour ride race prep: 15 min easy/30 min mod/30 med/30 MAD/15 minute spin in the morning. That evening I did small builders on the trainer: 15 min easy/ 15(1 min hard HR 150+/1 min harder HR 155+/30 seconds all out/2 min easy spin) 15 min cool down Sunday was: 30/30/30 on the bike again for 2 hours total followed by a 20 min easy OTB run. Monday: 4500 meter swim followed by a 20 min easy run. For the Harvest Moon 70.3 in September it was a little crazier and I'm not sure you want to know what I did. In fact, I'm not sure I want to look back at it again because at the time I thought it was insane, but it worked really well for me. Not sure what I get to do this weekend as my coach is playing each day by ear for me right now. I'm having trouble with The Limb so we're playing it safe right now.

That sounds like a lot.  You must have been putting in a lot of work building up to that point.

This last weekend I did race prep ride of a little over 30 miles (wanted to do 40 but was time limited).  Same time of day as race, similar terrain, same nutrition/hydration.  Was a bit faster than race pace but it actually felt pretty easy and I didn't have my disc or aero helmet on.  Next day did the same with an 11 mile run and again it felt pretty easy.  Just had a 2,000 yard swim and it felt great.  Was considerably faster than target race pace.  Maybe I'll repeat next weekend and extend the bike out a little, put on the disc, and throw a quick brick run on the end and then cut the long run back a mile or two.

2015-06-02 3:37 PM
in reply to: Jet Black

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Originally posted by Jet Black

No I did not, and we actually had a pretty good conversation here in the thread about the plan being a little too aggressive at the end. I ended up doing a straight 1000 yard open water swim followed by 1.5 hr on the bike on Saturday. Then Sunday I ran 60 min (~6.3 mi), with 3x8' @ HIM pace. I think that run was actually a little too much, I was sore for a couple of days after it. In general the plan didn't have nearly enough running the last 1-1.5 months IMO, but at this point it's best to just not overdo it.

Gosh, I don't remember the conversation but then again I don't remember what I had for dinner last night.

Yeah, the plan has quite a few flaws.  I like parts of it and modify the rest.  I think I got the extra run miles in and feel good there.  I wasn't able to keep up with the mileage on the bike though because it just takes more time than I've had.  I tried to make up for it with intensity on the trainer but haven't gotten in the long rides I should have.  I have altered my race expectations on the bike accordingly and will race it down a notch (that is the plan anyway).  I am hoping I have half the success you had in your race.  You really killed it.

2015-06-02 3:46 PM

User image

Master

BEWARE

I should like to be the Malayan one.

Glad to hear Mak is feeling better.  

Darren, sorry to hear about your wee Fin.  Hope things are not too tough on you all--hang in there.

2015-06-02 3:54 PM

User image

Katy, Texas

Originally posted by Jet Black

No I did not, and we actually had a pretty good conversation here in the thread about the plan being a little too aggressive at the end. I ended up doing a straight 1000 yard open water swim followed by 1.5 hr on the bike on Saturday. Then Sunday I ran 60 min (~6.3 mi), with 3x8' @ HIM pace. I think that run was actually a little too much, I was sore for a couple of days after it. In general the plan didn't have nearly enough running the last 1-1.5 months IMO, but at this point it's best to just not overdo it.

Gosh, I don't remember the conversation but then again I don't remember what I had for dinner last night.

Yeah, the plan has quite a few flaws.  I like parts of it and modify the rest.  I think I got the extra run miles in and feel good there.  I wasn't able to keep up with the mileage on the bike though because it just takes more time than I've had.  I tried to make up for it with intensity on the trainer but haven't gotten in the long rides I should have.  I have altered my race expectations on the bike accordingly and will race it down a notch (that is the plan anyway).  I am hoping I have half the success you had in your race.  You really killed it.

Thank you! I'm sure you are going to kill it as well!

The conversation was more focused around the intensity that the plan calls for on that Sunday run.

You've got a great base of running that I didn't have that I think really hurt me with the plan not having much at the end. Glad you have been able to get some extra running in too. Intensity will definitely help in lack of duration on the bike imo, you're in great shape. Can't wait to hear how it goes, and don't go too crazy this week! Be sure and give us a bib#
2015-06-02 4:33 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

BEWARE

Is it bad that it took me a few cups of coffee to get this one?  Maybe I can still claim jet lag...

2015-06-02 4:45 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Denver, CO

Maybe Manatees don't taper.  Maybe we're tippers. (Credit to DH for finding this.)

ETA: Or if there's alcoholic consumption during Taper (tapir?) Week, we could be tipsy, tapering Manatapirs.

Edited by laffinrock 2015-06-02 4:57 PM
2015-06-02 4:58 PM

User image

Master

Originally posted by laffinrock

Maybe Manatees don't taper.  Maybe we're tippers. (Credit to DH for finding this.)

My line of thought went: manatees=sea cows->cow tipping=manatee tipping

Guess I wasn't too far off. Those sea cows sure acted surprised. lol

Edited by 4agoodlife 2015-06-02 4:59 PM
2015-06-02 7:49 PM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Salty your fancy pack IG post reminded me of questioning wanted to throw out here. On my weekend trail runs I've been wearing my camelbak backpack. I have it as snug as I can get it but it bounces when I run. DH mentioned that it could be caused by the weight of having my pistola in there. I don't really want to wear an additional pack or holster for that. I need to test it without that in there to see if that's the problem. DH mentioned a bungee around it and me. In not sure how that would help in addition to the belts that are on the pack. Thoughts?

2015-06-02 8:07 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Seattle
Hmmmm. Really any pack will bounce a little. I'd suggest trying some different things but yeah, likely the pack wasn't designed for much more weight than the water. in the end, like most things, you probably just need to experiment a little and see what works for you. There are a lot of trail running pack reviews out there that can serve as a place to start.
2015-06-02 8:10 PM

User image

Seattle
I should say that for me, if I am doing something that requires enough water I can't hand carry it, I wear a proper backpack so I can bring the survival essentials. I don't have huge issues with bouncing and for the st. Helens run I probably had 15 lb in there. This is also the pack I use for run commuting. Osprey talon 22. Oh and try the bungee, ya never know! Oh aldo, try to pack the weight close to your body near the center of pack. NOT on the bottom.

Edited by Asalzwed 2015-06-02 8:12 PM
2015-06-02 8:11 PM

User image

Master

Originally posted by rrrunner Salty your fancy pack IG post reminded me of questioning wanted to throw out here. On my weekend trail runs I've been wearing my camelbak backpack. I have it as snug as I can get it but it bounces when I run. DH mentioned that it could be caused by the weight of having my pistola in there. I don't really want to wear an additional pack or holster for that. I need to test it without that in there to see if that's the problem. DH mentioned a bungee around it and me. In not sure how that would help in addition to the belts that are on the pack. Thoughts?

Ugh...bouncing water pack was killing me last week! I have got to somehow adjust mine better.

Do you carry in the back now? Is there a way to "holster" on front strap comfortably so not all weight in pouch area? More balanced maybe if that's the issue.

2015-06-02 8:15 PM

User image

Seattle
Ps day 3 of no running, been on the couch all day. I'd say I am behaving myself! Must shake this cold!
2015-06-02 8:16 PM

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by rrrunner Salty your fancy pack IG post reminded me of questioning wanted to throw out here. On my weekend trail runs I've been wearing my camelbak backpack. I have it as snug as I can get it but it bounces when I run. DH mentioned that it could be caused by the weight of having my pistola in there. I don't really want to wear an additional pack or holster for that. I need to test it without that in there to see if that's the problem. DH mentioned a bungee around it and me. In not sure how that would help in addition to the belts that are on the pack. Thoughts?

Ugh...bouncing water pack was killing me last week! I have got to somehow adjust mine better.

Do you carry in the back now? Is there a way to "holster" on front strap comfortably so not all weight in pouch area? More balanced maybe if that's the issue.

That could be intetesring...some sort of a holster on the shoulder strap. Makes it convenient to access too, if need be.

2015-06-02 8:46 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Originally posted by AsalzwedI should say that for me, if I am doing something that requires enough water I can't hand carry it, I wear a proper backpack so I can bring the survival essentials. I don't have huge issues with bouncing and for the st. Helens run I probably had 15 lb in there. This is also the pack I use for run commuting. Osprey talon 22. Oh and try the bungee, ya never know! Oh aldo, try to pack the weight close to your body near the center of pack. NOT on the bottom.
Hmmmm I see that REI carries it too. They have a great return policy
2015-06-02 9:12 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Depends a bit on the pistol.  A Desert Eagle isn't going in much less than a frame pack, but a small 9mm (Shield or such) opens some options.

I know some folks who run with a belly band (there are several models out there, but that search will get you going) or if it's a very small weapon a Stowaway (not sure if that one would be good for anything more than a short run, though).  Also know several who run with a small weapon in a fanny/belly pack (that one seems like it would also bounce, but doesn't seem to bother some people).

The belly band would put the pistol closer to hand if needed (unless your weekend runs are overnight ones and you just want something in camp, then just a more secure packing method might suit, but it didn't sound like that from the question), but still concealed and not bouncy during a run. 

Agree the pack strap idea is interesting.  Would need to be a pretty secure strap, I'd think, unless it's a mini-pistol...

Is it primarily for two or four legged critter protection (no pressure to answer - just curious)?

Matt

2015-06-02 9:21 PM
in reply to: Jet Black

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by Jet Black Wow, some awesome pics Adrienne and Erin! Sorry you're sick though Adrienne and sorry about the scare with your baby Erin! Just registered for my first masters swim meet. Going to do 50 free, 50 fly, 50 breast, 100 free & 100 breast. Should be fun.

Awesome!  Really curious to hear how it goes.  Seems like a really cool addition to the racing menu (at least if you're a swimmer - I admit that I'd be embarrassed doing my big, sloppy, slow, open turns at something like that!!). 

When's the meet?  Doing any specific training for it?

Oh, and I was actually wondering the same thing as your comment on the fur-aero penalty.  I've actually asked that in the past and been poo-pooed as a crackpot (true enough, but perhaps for other reasons).  All I know is that Andy Potts - who didn't shave his legs for years as he didn't believe in any advantage on the bike - was wearing one of those tops (M2 maybe) on the bike to cover his arms/shoulders.

If covering them with some slick fabric works, I'd have to think that taping a bunch of brillo pads on one's shoulders before a ride would have the opposite effect...   

Anyone have any thoughts on that (seriously - the top vs. no top vs. fur for aero)?  I imagine it's slight, as are all of these, but I wonder if it's of a similar magnitude to the gains of one of those bike tops?

Matt

2015-06-02 9:39 PM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Master

Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

Originally posted by Jet Black Wow, some awesome pics Adrienne and Erin! Sorry you're sick though Adrienne and sorry about the scare with your baby Erin! Just registered for my first masters swim meet. Going to do 50 free, 50 fly, 50 breast, 100 free & 100 breast. Should be fun.

Awesome!  Really curious to hear how it goes.  Seems like a really cool addition to the racing menu (at least if you're a swimmer - I admit that I'd be embarrassed doing my big, sloppy, slow, open turns at something like that!!). 

When's the meet?  Doing any specific training for it?

Oh, and I was actually wondering the same thing as your comment on the fur-aero penalty.  I've actually asked that in the past and been poo-pooed as a crackpot (true enough, but perhaps for other reasons).  All I know is that Andy Potts - who didn't shave his legs for years as he didn't believe in any advantage on the bike - was wearing one of those tops (M2 maybe) on the bike to cover his arms/shoulders.

If covering them with some slick fabric works, I'd have to think that taping a bunch of brillo pads on one's shoulders before a ride would have the opposite effect...   

Anyone have any thoughts on that (seriously - the top vs. no top vs. fur for aero)?  I imagine it's slight, as are all of these, but I wonder if it's of a similar magnitude to the gains of one of those bike tops?

Matt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZnrE17Jg3I

New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatees 2015.3 CLOSED (or Poptarts? Pet pics?) Rss Feed  

of 104

RELATED POSTS

Manatee Mentors 2015.2 CLOSED (Poptarts? Pet pics?) Pages: 1 ... 104 105 106 107

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 68402 Posts: 2660

2015-05-20 9:51 AM IndoIronYanti

Ryan Mac’s HIM Focus Group - CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26

Started by Ryan Mac
Views: 29147 Posts: 639

2015-06-15 3:22 PM Ryan Mac

TZCoaching tri getting started group! - CLOSED Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by tzcoaching
Views: 12300 Posts: 98

2015-03-01 12:25 PM tzcoaching

Dominion's Sprint/Oly/70.3 Group--Closed Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 36

Started by Dominion
Views: 38644 Posts: 891

2016-01-04 10:48 AM burner2

Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 67871 Posts: 2498

2015-02-23 11:27 AM IndoIronYanti
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 29, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.

date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.