Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 171

2011-03-14 6:19 AM
in reply to: #3256813

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
Subject: RE: swbkrun with us!!! - Closed

Dan-I AM SO HAPPY to hear from you. I've been watching the coverage and thought of you often....at some point would love to hear all of your experiences, including that HR graph.

Tuffli- WOW!  A lot has happened to you in the last week.  I am glad your health is in tact and you were unaffected by the disaster.  Also happy to see you are still racing in a little while....now go eat another banana!

2011-03-14 6:30 AM
in reply to: #3396353

User image

Champion
marietta
SSMinnow - 2011-03-14 7:19 AM

Dan-I AM SO HAPPY to hear from you. I've been watching the coverage and thought of you often....at some point would love to hear all of your experiences, including that HR graph.

Tuffli- WOW!  A lot has happened to you in the last week.  I am glad your health is in tact and you were unaffected by the disaster.  Also happy to see you are still racing in a little while....now go eat another banana!

X2!!!!!

2011-03-14 7:34 AM
in reply to: #3396310

User image

Master
dcon - 2011-03-14 12:58 AM

Hi everyone.  Just a quick note to let you know that I am fine and all of my relatives in the area are also fine.   It was interesting to see that Julia found the message I  managed to send to my sister yesterday from my nephew's cell phone.  Our power is back on now and I will probably try to catch up on this thread tomorrow.

One interesting note:  I was on my trainer when the quake hit.  I executed what was surely my fastest ever dismount and crawled under the kitchen counter.   I was wearing my HRM for the first time in a while and have an interesting graph I'll share with you soon.

Many thanks for the messages from everyone.

Never have I been so happy to see a smiling avatar. THANK YOU DAN for checking in!!! It is such a relief to know you are OK. Stay safe. I was looking at your logs after the earthquake and figured there was a good chance you were on your bike when it hit based on when you tend to ride -- thank goodness you were on the trainer and able to take cover. We continue to be so saddened by the devastation in Japan. It's just awful.

2011-03-14 7:49 AM
in reply to: #3396363

User image

Expert
metro west, MA
fattyfatfat - 2011-03-14 7:30 AM
SSMinnow - 2011-03-14 7:19 AM

X2!!!!!

x3!!!  So relieved you're both ok.

2011-03-14 8:18 AM

User image

Master
Horseheads, NY

Great to see you back Dan.  I am sure there is still a long road ahead for everyone in your area.  Hang in there!

2011-03-14 8:43 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Oshawa, Ontario

Hello everyone,

Dan, very happy to see your post and that you and your family are doing well.

Tuffli, wow, glad all is good with you also.

Cheers

Sylvain

2011-03-14 8:46 AM
in reply to: #3396197

User image

Master
Tosa, WI

velcromom - 2011-03-13 10:01 PM

Next question....the bike came with a double, and all advice to me (including the bike fitter) has been that I need a compact double.  Apparently I can sell the double on Ebay and buy a compact with not too much of a net loss.  Any thoughts on this?  Not an Ebay user, no clue as to how to go about this.

My $.02 on the compact question.  In reality, a compact (using the same cassette) takes about 6% away from your top end gearing and increases the lower end by 13%, for a delta of about 7% on the low end.  So unless you are really struggling on hills regularly (which I doubt based on the guns your sporting in that picture!! Laughing) and need more lower end gearing why bother.  Also, you may be able to solve this same issue much easier with a cassette change.    

Now if what your fitter and everybody is really discussing is about changing your crank-arm length from a 172.5 to a 170, that is an entirely different discussion and may be worth investigating further depending on your riding style, but really needs a fitter to make the right decision..........

& X2 on Ryan's opinion on the used wheels!  

Edited by badgerintx 2011-03-14 8:48 AM
2011-03-14 9:18 AM
in reply to: #3396310

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lamar
dcon - 2011-03-14 1:58 AM

Hi everyone.  Just a quick note to let you know that I am fine and all of my relatives in the area are also fine.   It was interesting to see that Julia found the message I  managed to send to my sister yesterday from my nephew's cell phone.  Our power is back on now and I will probably try to catch up on this thread tomorrow.

One interesting note:  I was on my trainer when the quake hit.  I executed what was surely my fastest ever dismount and crawled under the kitchen counter.   I was wearing my HRM for the first time in a while and have an interesting graph I'll share with you soon.

Many thanks for the messages from everyone.

Very Glad you and your faimily are safe.

2011-03-14 9:19 AM

User image

Elite
san francisco

Dan, it was such a relief to hear you and your family were okay.  Take care and hang in there during this incredibly difficult time.

Tuffli-wow!  So glad you are okay and very happy that you have such a strong head and heart. 

2011-03-14 9:27 AM
in reply to: #3396634

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
kt65 - 2011-03-14 10:19 AM

Dan, it was such a relief to hear you and your family were okay.  Take care and hang in there during this incredibly difficult time.

Tuffli-wow!  So glad you are okay and very happy that you have such a strong head and heart. 

x whatever we are on, good to hear from you Dan and Tuffli glad to hear you are ok.

2011-03-14 9:33 AM
in reply to: #3396497

User image

Veteran

First, Dan- it's wonderful to hear from you.  I have a few business associates in Tokyo and they said that while things are stabilizing and services are being restored, it's still pretty chaotic.  Watching the footage, the devastation in the rural areas is just unfathomable.  But it's so good to hear that you and your family are ok... and yeah, I'd love to see that HR chart.  Nothing like a wee bit of adrenaline to get the blood pumping!

Tuffli - I'm glad that you're ok.  You mentioned that you were in the midst of a particularly stressful week.  I'm not sure how a stress hormone like cortisol affects potassium or sodium regulation, but there may be a link there.  You may want to try putting something like Nuun (or another electrolyte additive) in your water during or after your workouts if you don't already.  I'd even suggest adding some to a water bottle and sipping on that during the day.  Otherwise, I'll just echo Suzy: eat those bananas!

Kim - great point about the compact and gearing.  I run an 11-28 on my lightest set of wheels because I use them primarily for hill climbs, and it's great having that 28 in there to really let you spin.  My thought was that since this was only for races, as you pointed out, it's doubtful that you're going to see prolonged, super steep climbs.  With IMAZ, you're going to want that top end speed!

2011-03-14 9:33 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Oshawa, Ontario

Well I've made changes to my plans for this year.  I'm going back to my original plan which is perform only Sprints and Olympic races this year and do HIM next year.   Physically I can do the HIM but with all that is going on in my life it would be too much at this time.  I have opportunity to advance to next level in my career by putting a little more effort at the office.  Also, I've also came to the conclusion that I've been trying to do to much, as in taking on too many projects, and mentally I'm very tired.  So, I'm taking one step back, clearing my project list, and re-organizing my priorities. 

This week I'll go over the race list and setup my training accordingly.

2011-03-14 9:58 AM
in reply to: #3396313

User image

Master
TUFFLI!!! It's so good to hear from you, what a scary time you have had. And here we were just concerned about your safety in the earthquake! So glad you have the clean bill of health -- did the docs say what you can/should do to prevent this from happening again? Take care of you and I totally agree -- long-term health (and LIFE!!) is way more important than any race. Thanks for checking in and keep us posted, OK?! Yikes!!!
2011-03-14 9:59 AM
in reply to: #3396569

User image

Champion
badgerintx - 2011-03-14 9:46 AM

Next question....the bike came with a double, and all advice to me (including the bike fitter) has been that I need a compact double.  Apparently I can sell the double on Ebay and buy a compact with not too much of a net loss.  Any thoughts on this?  Not an Ebay user, no clue as to how to go about this.

My $.02 on the compact question.  In reality, a compact (using the same cassette) takes about 6% away from your top end gearing and increases the lower end by 13%, for a delta of about 7% on the low end.  So unless you are really struggling on hills regularly (which I doubt based on the guns your sporting in that picture!! Laughing) and need more lower end gearing why bother.  Also, you may be able to solve this same issue much easier with a cassette change.    

Now if what your fitter and everybody is really discussing is about changing your crank-arm length from a 172.5 to a 170, that is an entirely different discussion and may be worth investigating further depending on your riding style, but really needs a fitter to make the right decision..........

I say go with the compact personally, if it doesn't break the bank.

When you look at it, how often do you wish you had more gears to go downhill vs. uphill?

Switching out cassettes gives you an incremental change but you can still switch them out with the compact. 

LOL, I am running right now a compact on my bikes and my new favorite cassette is an 11-28, there are a few rpm oddities in there but I need the 11 sometimes to keep up with the group on descents on my road bike, and love the 28 when my legs are shot, plus it lets me climb hills with a higher RPM vs. mashing gears.

2011-03-14 10:21 AM
in reply to: #3396337

User image

It's so good to hear from you both, Dan and Tuffli! Stay safe and healthy!

btw, I'm no super sleuth. I just read in a news article that Google had set up that people finder for the Japan quake/tsunami, so I went and searched it for Dan. Someone had posted his FB message. Apparently Google did the same thing after the Haiti and Christchurch earthquakes. Very cool.

Take care, everyone.

2011-03-14 11:54 AM
in reply to: #3396796

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.
gotta run - 2011-03-14 8:21 AM

btw, I'm no super sleuth. I just read in a news article that Google had set up that people finder for the Japan quake/tsunami, so I went and searched it for Dan. Someone had posted his FB message. Apparently Google did the same thing after the Haiti and Christchurch earthquakes. Very cool.

Take care, everyone.

Technology is amazing.  Dan glad you are well!

Julia--- Looking forward to you showing RP and I a good butt whooping on the wet trails of Seattle this week!

2011-03-14 12:07 PM
in reply to: #3396734

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
dalessit - 2011-03-14 9:59 AM

When you look at it, how often do you wish you had more gears to go downhill vs. uphill?

Switching out cassettes gives you an incremental change but you can still switch them out with the compact. 

LOL, I am running right now a compact on my bikes and my new favorite cassette is an 11-28, there are a few rpm oddities in there but I need the 11 sometimes to keep up with the group on descents on my road bike, and love the 28 when my legs are shot, plus it lets me climb hills with a higher RPM vs. mashing gears.

Is there such a thing as an 11-27?  I really don't think I would need a 28 for the hills around here, but the idea of not spinning out downhill with an 11 is appealing.

2011-03-14 12:15 PM
in reply to: #3397029

User image

Champion
SSMinnow - 2011-03-14 1:07 PM
dalessit - 2011-03-14 9:59 AM

Is there such a thing as an 11-27?  I really don't think I would need a 28 for the hills around here, but the idea of not spinning out downhill with an 11 is appealing.

Ultegra no, Dura Ace yes.

2011-03-14 2:16 PM
in reply to: #3397005

User image

swbkrun - 2011-03-14 12:54 PM

Take care, everyone.

Julia--- Looking forward to you showing RP and I a good butt whooping on the wet trails of Seattle this week!

Ha! If anybody's butt is going to be whooped, it will be mine! And you aren't kidding about wet - I ran in Discovery Park this morning and one set of stairs looked like a waterfall!

2011-03-14 2:30 PM

User image

Veteran

HI all, I am having a hard time tring to figure out some of my scheduled swim work outs as sometimes the total distance doesnt add up. Some example for this coming week are 

Scheduled is 19m/500 yards but only 450yds detailed, Where's the other 50?

Main Set:15m /400 yards 

Set #1 200 yards 
Drills 
Practice these warmup drills first for 10 minute before starting your drills:
Bob, Kick and Breath, Kick, Breath and Stroke. Then proceed into these drills:
2x(50 Drill: Kick On Side, 50 Drill: Six Kick Change

Set #2 150 yards 
Endurance 
Intervals: 2x75' on 5' rest 
Pace: 04m 31s - 04m 10s /100 yards 

Set #3 50 yards 
Endurance 

Cooldown: 50 yards 

Pace: - 04m 32s /100 yards 
Freestyle at recovery pace 

Scheduled is 25m/650 yards but only 400yds detailed, Where's the other 250?

Main Set:10m /250 yards 

Set #1 200 yards 
Drills 
Practice these warmup drills for first for 10 minute before starting your drills: Bob, Kick and Breath, Kick, Breath and Stroke. Then proceed into these drills:
2x(50 Drill: Kick On Side, 50 Drill: Six Kick Change

Set #2 50 yards 
Endurance 
Continuous Swim. Take active recovery with an easy stroke if needed to build endurance 

Cooldown: 150 yards 

Pace: - 04m 32s /100 yards 
Freestyle at recovery pace 

The number of yards in the "main set" seem to be the total yards of all the sets, but when you take that and cool down it doesnt add up

My friday swim has correct yardage because it includes a warm up distance,should I assume that the other workouts the missing distance is in the warm up? For those it just says warm up with some drills and doesn't give distances

2011-03-14 3:50 PM
in reply to: #3397321

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
GrapeJuice - 2011-03-14 1:30 PM

HI all, I am having a hard time tring to figure out some of my scheduled swim work outs as sometimes the total distance doesnt add up. Some example for this coming week are 

I went in and looked at your planned workouts. I can't find it either. I would assume that the other distances missing could be warmup???

But just as important, how's the Ipad 2?

2011-03-14 4:16 PM
in reply to: #3397005

User image

Master
swbkrun - 2011-03-14 9:54 AM

Take care, everyone.

All right, feeling a little left out by this statement. Are you implying you're not looking forward to me getting my butt whooped too??!! (pout pout) I will be the most whooped!!! But yeah, looking forward to it as wel!

2011-03-14 6:33 PM

User image

Champion
marietta

spoiler alert.                     don't look below AT PAGE 43 if your lava hasn't shown up yet.    edit.  and happy pi day.

Edited by fattyfatfat 2011-03-14 6:36 PM
2011-03-14 7:25 PM
in reply to: #3397682

User image

Master
Horseheads, NY
fattyfatfat - 2011-03-14 7:33 PM

spoiler alert.                     don't look below AT PAGE 43 if your lava hasn't shown up yet.    edit.  and happy pi day.

I like pi

I like lava too

2011-03-14 7:44 PM
in reply to: #3397682

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
fattyfatfat - 2011-03-14 5:33 PM

Whats up with all the shoe boxes? C'mon Mirinda!!!

I like the way she wraps her hand around the saddle.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » swbkrun with us!!! - Closed Rss Feed  

of 171