Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 149

2013-12-20 8:55 AM
in reply to: ligersandtions

Master
Northern IL
Subject: RE: SBR Utopia Season II - OPEN

Originally posted by ligersandtions

Originally posted by marcag I feel I have lost a lot of power since the season ended. Mostly my fault, I have been lazy. On one hand I see Arend's numbers shooting up. He deserves them, he works really hard. I remember last year him posting some workouts and thought I could pretty easily do them, No more, not even close. Am I ever glad he is on team Canada. So I have been slowly getting back. I find working the left hand side of the power curve easier to get back into and slowly move right. No way I could do any substantial threshold intervals today. Yesterday I did 7x3' at 295w. I was sure I could not do it and ended up kind of feeling good. Maybe I had a few more watts in me. The more I struggle with my run injury the more I think it's not just my achilles but some plantar fasciitis. I need to keep an eye out on that. It's not critical yet. But my swim is good ! Something has to be. I think it's my added buoyancy. Yes, let's refer to it as buoyancy. I am going to take my 6 billion aeroplan points (from all that travel last year) and go cycle somewhere for a week. Just need to figure out where. Clermont Florida is easy(but boring). Mallorca is fun but the family stared me down when I said I was going by myself. It has to be somewhere that doesn't sound too exotic. Suggestions ? I am looking at Feb.

Can we make a new rule that people have to say they did intervals at XXX% of FTP, rather than throwing out huge numbers that I'm incredibly jealous of?   It's also helpful to me to know if you did those 3 min intervals at 106% or 120% or 130% or whatever.  Or maybe we could make a different rule that says you only post your intervals in terms of W/kg

As for your run injury, what are you doing to treat it, Marc?  Are you doing PT or seeing someone who does ART or anything?  I'm also dealing with a little bit of a foot issue that feels like the precursor to PF and have been seeing my chiro who does ART -- I think it's helping and will be seeing him again this afternoon.

Add like 50% to yours to convert. That's what the guys do anyway.

2013-12-20 9:01 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by ligersandtions

Can we make a new rule that people have to say they did intervals at XXX% of FTP, rather than throwing out huge numbers that I'm incredibly jealous of?   It's also helpful to me to know if you did those 3 min intervals at 106% or 120% or 130% or whatever.  Or maybe we could make a different rule that says you only post your intervals in terms of W/kg

As for your run injury, what are you doing to treat it, Marc?  Are you doing PT or seeing someone who does ART or anything?  I'm also dealing with a little bit of a foot issue that feels like the precursor to PF and have been seeing my chiro who does ART -- I think it's helping and will be seeing him again this afternoon.

Watts per kg.....now that would be embarassing :-)

You are right, we should be talking %

I was doing them at 110%. If I put them in w/kg it would be....too many digits right of the decimal

For the foot, I don't know what I am going to do. It's not getting worse, Maybe slightly better. I am going to do everything the internet says (ice, stretch) and see if it gets better. I have run 6 straight days, short distance and it seems to behave. I will slowly increase my distances and see if I can slowly get rid of it.
I am kind of pissed with my PT. I went to see him and the area it was hurting screams out Plantar Fasciitis but he didn't catch on.
2013-12-20 10:07 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by brigby1

Add like 50% to yours to convert. That's what the guys do anyway.

I post all my workouts in metric watts

2013-12-20 10:08 AM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by marcag I feel I have lost a lot of power since the season ended. Mostly my fault, I have been lazy. On one hand I see Arend's numbers shooting up. He deserves them, he works really hard. I remember last year him posting some workouts and thought I could pretty easily do them, No more, not even close. Am I ever glad he is on team Canada. So I have been slowly getting back. I find working the left hand side of the power curve easier to get back into and slowly move right. No way I could do any substantial threshold intervals today. Yesterday I did 7x3' at 295w. I was sure I could not do it and ended up kind of feeling good. Maybe I had a few more watts in me. The more I struggle with my run injury the more I think it's not just my achilles but some plantar fasciitis. I need to keep an eye out on that. It's not critical yet. But my swim is good ! Something has to be. I think it's my added buoyancy. Yes, let's refer to it as buoyancy. I am going to take my 6 billion aeroplan points (from all that travel last year) and go cycle somewhere for a week. Just need to figure out where. Clermont Florida is easy(but boring). Mallorca is fun but the family stared me down when I said I was going by myself. It has to be somewhere that doesn't sound too exotic. Suggestions ? I am looking at Feb.

You have a billion points, take them with you!  Just tell them you won't see them all week.  

I have a friend that goes to Tuscan every winter for a week to ride.

2013-12-20 10:34 AM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by axteraa

Tuscany or Tuscon ?

Tuscany.....waaaaaay to exotic. No way I get away with that
Tuscon Arizona I am looking at. Air Canada does a crap job getting there.

Maybe I can tell them Tuscan, make them think it's Arizona when in fact it's Italy!!
2013-12-20 11:46 AM
in reply to: Birkierunner

User image

Originally posted by Birkierunner

Originally posted by ChrisM

Yeah, i use a disc so do the wheel bag route

That's either changed or not on the west coast.  IM Canada and Miami 70.3 both charged for each bag.  AS well as NOLA 70.3 2014.  I.e., if this link comes through, wheel bag is $20:

Wow, you're right Chris.  I must have made my reservations for Arizona and M-T 2013 way ahead of time before the wheel bag charge was put in effect.  Oh well....I put a lot of stuff in my wheel bag - even my full size bike pump - so its worth it.

Not afraid the pump will scratch the disc?  I don't see they handle those things with kid gloves, it would make me a bit nervous.....

2013-12-20 11:48 AM

User image

Glad to hear your foot pain is moving in the right direction.  Hopefully two more weeks will do the trick.

If you're wanting to aquajog, I have an extra belt that I don't use....just say the word and it's yours.  In fact, I'll be in socal next week and could deliver it to you

Nicole, extremely generous, thank you   I think I might try aquajogging without this weekend, and hopefully will only have to do it twice before I can start running again, and will try without the belt.  I believe they have them at the pool i'd go do this.

But thank you for the generosity 

2013-12-20 11:52 AM

User image

Originally posted by marcag

Tuscany or Tuscon ? Tuscany.....waaaaaay to exotic. No way I get away with that Tuscon Arizona I am looking at. Air Canada does a crap job getting there. Maybe I can tell them Tuscan, make them think it's Arizona when in fact it's Italy!!

Tucson you can climb Mt. Lemmon

So Cal you can do full week of world class climbing in the santa monicas.  I'd accompany for the weekend ride, if I am in town

2013-12-20 12:57 PM

User image

February is our rainy season here.  It's horrible. 

2013-12-20 1:07 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Well, crap.  Looks like I'll be learning more about bike shipping.  Had my reservation all set up with TBT.  They just called said they're pulling NOLA 70.3 service from the west coast...   they've offered a reund, credit, or for the fee to pay for shipping, unpack, assemble, disassemble and ship back...  I paid $323 (for transport plus two bags).  Delta looks to be $150 each way, then I have to put together.....

Can anyone here give a primer or reference to how easy./hard it is to take bike apart and put back together for shipping??  I am only semi handy with the wrench....

2013-12-20 1:14 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Tuscany or Tuscon ? Tuscany.....waaaaaay to exotic. No way I get away with that Tuscon Arizona I am looking at. Air Canada does a crap job getting there. Maybe I can tell them Tuscan, make them think it's Arizona when in fact it's Italy!!

Tucson you can climb Mt. Lemmon

So Cal you can do full week of world class climbing in the santa monicas.  I'd accompany for the weekend ride, if I am in town

Yes, he goes to Tuscan and climbs Mt. Lemmon.  That's all I know about it really.

I think you just got a better offer!  Tuscany sounds nice too though...

2013-12-20 1:17 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by Jason N

There you go Marc, one week in Hawaii.  A different island each day - we'll give you two for the Big Island since that's what they get for Ultraman.

Edited by axteraa 2013-12-20 1:17 PM
2013-12-20 1:27 PM

User image

Can anyone here give a primer or reference to how easy./hard it is to take bike apart and put back together for shipping??  I am only semi handy with the wrench....

It's really not that hard.  I've packed a bike 8 times (16 times if you count the return trip).  Bikes with integrated front ends may be a little trickier, but your bike shouldn't be a problem.

You'll need a pedal wrench, and allen keys to loosen or remove your stem, and seat post.  Foam pipe insulation and velcro straps work well too...just cut them to your desired lengths.  Also go to your LBS and ask them for the plastic dropout spacers.  They usually come with every bike when shipped to prevent the dropouts from flexing inward during shipping.  Normally the LBS just throws them away after the unpack a bike.

I have a picture of how I packed my bike a couple of years ago...I'll see if I can send it to you via FB.

2013-12-20 1:30 PM

User image

It's really not that hard.  I've packed a bike 8 times (16 times if you count the return trip).  Bikes with integrated front ends may be a little trickier, but your bike shouldn't be a problem.

You'll need a pedal wrench, and allen keys to loosen or remove your stem, and seat post.  Foam pipe insulation and velcro straps work well too...just cut them to your desired lengths.  Also go to your LBS and ask them for the plastic dropout spacers.  They usually come with every bike when shipped to prevent the dropouts from flexing inward during shipping.  Normally the LBS just throws them away after the unpack a bike.

I have a picture of how I packed my bike a couple of years ago...I'll see if I can send it to you via FB.

so it's usually just seat post and headset/cockpit and pedals?  I can handle those.  I have some of the dropout protectors I believe but can get more.

The problem is now the race costs just went up since I have to get a bike box, as the one I would borrow is already going to San Juan that weekend.  First world problems,

Any recommendations on a reasonable box?

2013-12-20 1:34 PM

User image

There you go Marc, one week in Hawaii.  A different island each day - we'll give you two for the Big Island since that's what they get for Ultraman.

3 days on the Big Island.  Koloko climb and parts of the Queen K on day 1.  Mauna Kea day 2, Mauna Loa day 3.

Fly to Maui for 2 days.  Haleakala day 4, then either the West or East side loop day 5.

Fly to Oahu for 1 day.  Ride up Tantalus, over the Pali (famous cliffs where King Kamehameha's army pushed their enemy's off the cliff) then around the North Shore.

Fly to Kaua'i for one day.  Not quite sure the best places to ride here, but there's a race that goes uphill to Koke'e park.

Probably around 2500 TSS for the week. 

2013-12-20 1:39 PM

User image

Maybe it's that more people in Hawaii have bike boxes and they're easier to come around, but I'd suggest borrowing.  Someone in your area must have one.  Post it out to FB or something and offer a case of beer.  Unless you plan to use it a lot, it's really not worth buying.

2013-12-20 1:40 PM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

3 days on the Big Island.  Koloko climb and parts of the Queen K on day 1.  Mauna Kea day 2, Mauna Loa day 3.

Fly to Maui for 2 days.  Haleakala day 4, then either the West or East side loop day 5.

Fly to Oahu for 1 day.  Ride up Tantalus, over the Pali (famous cliffs where King Kamehameha's army pushed their enemy's off the cliff) then around the North Shore.

Fly to Kaua'i for one day.  Not quite sure the best places to ride here, but there's a race that goes uphill to Koke'e park.

Probably around 2500 TSS for the week. 

Epic.

2013-12-20 1:41 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA

Well, crap.  Looks like I'll be learning more about bike shipping.  Had my reservation all set up with TBT.  They just called said they're pulling NOLA 70.3 service from the west coast...   they've offered a reund, credit, or for the fee to pay for shipping, unpack, assemble, disassemble and ship back...  I paid $323 (for transport plus two bags).  Delta looks to be $150 each way, then I have to put together.....

Really depends on what case you have. Usually peddles off, remove seat post with saddle, remove front wheel, the handlebar are the trickiest because you will need to disconnect the break cables and possible the shift cables and remove the assemble from the steer tube.

EDIT

Some bike shops will do this for you, as far a reassemble that maybe on you. Hints: Take measurements and detailed pictures, don’t forget to pack your tools, pad the frame with hot water pipe insulation (you can pick that up a Lowe’s or Home Depot). If I think of anything else I’ll let you know. It’s really a piece of cake just takes time and some confidence.

Edited by BrotherTri 2013-12-20 1:48 PM
2013-12-20 1:41 PM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Maybe it's that more people in Hawaii have bike boxes and they're easier to come around, but I'd suggest borrowing.  Someone in your area must have one.  Post it out to FB or something and offer a case of beer.  Unless you plan to use it a lot, it's really not worth buying.

Agreed.  The first time we went with bikes, we had more offers than we needed.  Our local cycling association even had one that they let people use.

2013-12-20 1:42 PM

User image

Pro
NJ

Tuscany or Tuscon ?Tuscany.....waaaaaay to exotic. No way I get away with thatTuscon Arizona I am looking at. Air Canada does a crap job getting there.Maybe I can tell them Tuscan, make them think it's Arizona when in fact it's Italy!!

Marc, Tucson is a small airport. I can't get there direct from Newark. I travel there once or twice a year and have found flying into Phoenix to be a better option than connecting thru Houston or Denver. Not sure about Air Canada. im stuck w United. There is a really convenient shuttle that leaves from the PHX airport. It's a van and takes about 90 mins to get to Tucson. $40 each way. I've used it a number of times when I didn't need a rental car

http://www.arizonashuttle.com/

SoCal or HI sound much better though.

2013-12-20 1:45 PM
in reply to: BrotherTri

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by BrotherTri

Really depends on what case you have. Usually peddles off, remove seat post with saddle, remove front wheel, the handlebar are the trickiest because you will need to disconnect the break cables and possible the shift cables and remove the assemble from the steer tube.

I don't have to loosen or disconnect any cables at all.  Depending on the bike, I either remove the face plate from the end of my stem and take the bars off (my road bike) or I take the stem off the steerer tube completely (tri bike).  In either case I don't have to do anything with cables.  I guess it depends on the bike though.

Only thing I didn't see mentioned was the RD.  Again, that depends on the case and whether you are taking the rear wheel off or not.  It's really simple though, just one bolt.

Make sure you measure and/or mark the height of your seat post before taking it off!

2013-12-20 1:50 PM

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA

Originally posted by BrotherTri

I don't have to loosen or disconnect any cables at all.  Depending on the bike, I either remove the face plate from the end of my stem and take the bars off (my road bike) or I take the stem off the steerer tube completely (tri bike).  In either case I don't have to do anything with cables.  I guess it depends on the bike though.

Only thing I didn't see mentioned was the RD.  Again, that depends on the case and whether you are taking the rear wheel off or not.  It's really simple though, just one bolt.

Make sure you measure and/or mark the height of your seat post before taking it off!

Good point try that method first.....
2013-12-20 5:05 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Here are the instructions to take apart my bike for my case

http://www.biknd.com/packing/index.html

Pretty easy
2013-12-20 5:22 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I just read your post on ST. I'd be pissed. Actually I am pissed.
2013-12-20 5:26 PM

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA

http://www.amazon.com/Trico-Iron-Case-Bike-Travel/dp/B001185C7Q

Trico Iron Case - Bike Travel Case
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia Season II - OPEN Rss Feed  

of 149

RELATED POSTS

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.

date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips
date : November 16, 2009
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Should I remove the PD Jammers bars and ride it as is, set-up for riding in the drops and hoods? Should I run my Easton Orion II wheels or my Hed Jet60 C2's for IMWI?

date : October 15, 2008
author : AMSSM
I've had shoulder problems since the very beginning of tri training. I did see an ortho who took x-rays and said I have a type II acromioin. I'd love to know some stretches to help my flexibility.
date : October 11, 2007
author : Ron
Training program for the minority triathlete wanting to put on some extra muscle mass to get buff for next years triathlon season.

date : June 11, 2007
author : Courage
comments : 8
What is it that brought me to my knees one Sunday morning and then kicked me into a hole of self loathing and apparent depression? My apparent salvation was my old blue Fuji Royale II.
date : September 3, 2006
author : acbadger
The off-season is the best time to fine tune your skills and prepare yourself for the next season. It is also time for you to gain some strength and get a little rest after a long season of training.

date : September 2, 2004
author : Michael
If you develop a strategy for the off-season, you can go into the next season stronger than you ended the past season.