Horseheads, NY
Subject: RE: swbkrun with us!!! - Closed

2011-03-21 9:55 AM
in reply to: #3256813

User image

Master
Horseheads, NY

I don't know what the heck is going on with my posting at work...maybe the IT group is on to me!!

What I tried to say above was

Awesome job by all the racers!  PRs and great first time HIM results.  Incredible start to the MG race results.

Congratulations to all!

G

2011-03-21 10:47 AM
in reply to: #3406543

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
DougRob - 2011-03-21 9:42 AM
dalessit - 2011-03-21 10:18 AM

Great job racing this weekend everyone, sounds like PR's all around.

And Doug your ST article is getting some good discussion going.

Yeah, I just found out. I did not know they were publishing it yesterday and did not see the thread until an hour ago. So I have posted to the thread discussion. Some people really do not like the WTC. I do not quite understand that.

Doug

Great article Doug!  Best simple explanation of TMs....now where is the discussion link?

To our racers, really terrific job out there.  Sounds like everyone pushed the boundaries...now where are the rest of the RRs?

2011-03-21 11:05 AM
in reply to: #3406720

User image

Elite
Raleigh
SSMinnow - 2011-03-21 11:47 AM
DougRob - 2011-03-21 9:42 AM
dalessit - 2011-03-21 10:18 AM

Great job racing this weekend everyone, sounds like PR's all around.

And Doug your ST article is getting some good discussion going.

Yeah, I just found out. I did not know they were publishing it yesterday and did not see the thread until an hour ago. So I have posted to the thread discussion. Some people really do not like the WTC. I do not quite understand that.

Doug

Great article Doug!  Best simple explanation of TMs....now where is the discussion link?

To our racers, really terrific job out there.  Sounds like everyone pushed the boundaries...now where are the rest of the RRs?

Here:

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/gforum.cgi?do=post_view_flat;post=3254035;page=1;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;mh=25

2011-03-21 11:24 AM

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.
Congrats to all you fantastic racers last week!!! 
2011-03-21 2:14 PM

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada

Read a great post of Macca's today. Very timely regarding nutrition...

http://www.chrismccormack.com/2011/03/02/getting-faster-nailing-your-nutrition/#more-63

2011-03-21 2:39 PM

User image

Chatham Ontario

So the weather is starting to get nice. I seen so many people out running yesterday.. hardly any snow left around here. So many people out running... I was REALLY starting to get depressed yesterday.. It is one month of NO running and it was Really getting to me. I have got a few bike rides in to help keep my sanity and swimming has been going well. But not running has HURT.

Sundays we have a new running group we started in our city. More and More people are coming out. Except me now. I was there in the cold and snow with 4-6 people. Yesterday they had 18 people show. Which is great we live in a pretty unhealthy city with high rates of cardio vas. Issues. So I am happy to see people getting out.

Tonight is the sign up for the running clinic my training partner and her sister are going to start in two weeks. 82 people have joined up via internet.. Tonight is the true sign up for  learn to run, 5k and 10k clinics. They are SWAMPPED if everyone shows up when they start in 2 weeks. I was going to help run a learn to run group on my own with them, and then help with a 5K clinic too. Stef can't possibly take on 20-30 people in one learn to run group. She was hoping I would take 10-15 of them. 

But PT said no running.. I confirmed I would be there tonight to help sign up. My friend and her sister are trying to keep me engaged. I even took my mountain bike out on some of their long runs getting ready for their Marathon in May. It made me feel connected still.

I did get lots of good advice here about core workouts etc. I enjoyed the support and some debates with some people too. I made sure I listened and didn't run even when I really wanted to last week.

After today's PT appointment I HAVE BEEN CLEARED TO START RUNNING LIGHTLY YAY!!!!!!! 1-2 km to start. I promise to take it easy, stop if I feel any pain at all, evaluate along the way. Walking 5 min warmup, easy 2-3 mins running until my heart rate slowly comes up and running at an EASY PACE. Hopefully in two weeks I will be able to help the learn to run people..

I just needed to express my excitement

2011-03-21 3:29 PM
in reply to: #3407274

User image

Extreme Veteran

Been missing the MG for some time now.  Happy to be back, and hope to be back more often.  (I feel like I have been gone so long, I am like one of those radio talk show call-in folks: "Long time listener, first time caller.")

After a 1200 meter swim in the pool, got out on my bike on Sat for a ride with my trainer (USAT coach) and a couple other clients of his.  I was SO happy to get a ride outside.  It was wonderful, even if he made me do a killer workout of hill repeats.  (For those of you from DC, we did MacArthur blvd, and did 6 hill repeats on Mountain Gate.)  Great to be outside.  Plus the power meter comes this week, so I will get it installed before this weekend, so I can have it for my next ride.

Also did a 5K race on Sunday to raise money for colon cancer research in honor of a friend who is battling the disease.

Anyway, glad to be back.  Got a LOT of pages to catch up on.  I did notice the results from this weekend, however.  Great job getting it done, Sam.  And you too John.  And to all the other racers this weekend.  Impressive results.

Hope all is well.

Edited by Tobey91 2011-03-21 3:30 PM
2011-03-21 6:15 PM

User image

Master
Maryland
Techdiver - 2011-03-21 3:39 PM

So the weather is starting to get nice. I seen so many people out running yesterday.. hardly any snow left around here. So many people out running... I was REALLY starting to get depressed yesterday.. It is one month of NO running and it was Really getting to me. I have got a few bike rides in to help keep my sanity and swimming has been going well. But not running has HURT.

Sundays we have a new running group we started in our city. More and More people are coming out. Except me now. I was there in the cold and snow with 4-6 people. Yesterday they had 18 people show. Which is great we live in a pretty unhealthy city with high rates of cardio vas. Issues. So I am happy to see people getting out.

Tonight is the sign up for the running clinic my training partner and her sister are going to start in two weeks. 82 people have joined up via internet.. Tonight is the true sign up for  learn to run, 5k and 10k clinics. They are SWAMPPED if everyone shows up when they start in 2 weeks. I was going to help run a learn to run group on my own with them, and then help with a 5K clinic too. Stef can't possibly take on 20-30 people in one learn to run group. She was hoping I would take 10-15 of them. 

But PT said no running.. I confirmed I would be there tonight to help sign up. My friend and her sister are trying to keep me engaged. I even took my mountain bike out on some of their long runs getting ready for their Marathon in May. It made me feel connected still.

I did get lots of good advice here about core workouts etc. I enjoyed the support and some debates with some people too. I made sure I listened and didn't run even when I really wanted to last week.

After today's PT appointment I HAVE BEEN CLEARED TO START RUNNING LIGHTLY YAY!!!!!!! 1-2 km to start. I promise to take it easy, stop if I feel any pain at all, evaluate along the way. Walking 5 min warmup, easy 2-3 mins running until my heart rate slowly comes up and running at an EASY PACE. Hopefully in two weeks I will be able to help the learn to run people..

Congrats on being cleared for takeoff, or running! Be careful, enjoy and listen to your body.

lINDA

2011-03-21 6:43 PM

User image

Expert
Portland, OR

Yay Spanky!  Good for you.  Still gonna try that half? 

2011-03-21 8:45 PM
in reply to: #3407213

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan
TrevorC - 2011-03-21 5:14 PM

http://www.chrismccormack.com/2011/03/02/getting-faster-nailing-your-nutrition/#more-63

Thanks for sharing.  Interesting that he says "I recommend to everyone out their to start to read material by Dr Timothy Noakes especially the Lore of Running".  That is no small feat.  The book is over 900 pages long.  I'm on page 20 and have been for a few weeks.

2011-03-21 9:06 PM
in reply to: #3407689

User image

Chatham Ontario
SoccerGK - 2011-03-21 6:43 PM

Not in May There is no way in my mind I can SAFELY build up volume to do a HALF MARY in May...My goal is to train safe and hit my first Sprint Triathlon in mid June.

I did run 2.5 km tonight with a walking warm up. I actually found it HARD to slow down. I didn't feel I was running fast but evertime I looked at my Garmin my pace was too fast. I had to keep slowing myself down. Knee felt weird, I think I was over compensating, feeling this new muscle I built up on my MCL side working it 5 days a week and not running. No tightness or soreness after my run. But I was sort of WAITING for it all run.. Worried I would feel something but didn't feel pain. Just felt Different if that makes any sense.

I will aim for an end of season Half Marathon. The Detroit Free press maybe close to home plus you get to run over the bridge and back under the tunnel between detroit and windsor running through both countries in one day. OR The Chicago R&R that some people from BT are doing.. that might be fun to meet other BT people. Both are in September around the same time frame....

My Training buddy is off to China to Teach for 5 weeks this summer so I am going to miss her. But her sister is going to do a half marathon clinic this summer.. so I might do that... Slow Safe Volume increases...

And I get to help with our learn to run clinic. 21 people signed up tonight and 11 people for the 10k clinic.. it all starts in 2 weeks.

Edited by Techdiver 2011-03-21 9:14 PM
2011-03-21 9:11 PM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!

Spanky--so happy for you.  Stay true to taking it slowly and you'll be back in business in no time flat.

William--we'll take you whenever you have time to stop by and say hi....don't feel like you need to back read...same old stuff-people with great results, people wanting better results and lots of us hoping to do our first tri of the season soon!

Dan--Noakes was one of my favorite early reads.  I used to go back to it often.  Well worth the effort.

Nearly all the snow is gone in Madison, but the pisser is we are supposed to get 1-4" on Wednesday.....the joy of Spring in WI!

2011-03-21 9:16 PM
in reply to: #3407823

User image

Master
Horseheads, NY
dcon - 2011-03-21 9:45 PM
TrevorC - 2011-03-21 5:14 PM

Thanks for sharing.  Interesting that he says "I recommend to everyone out their to start to read material by Dr Timothy Noakes especially the Lore of Running".  That is no small feat.  The book is over 900 pages long.  I'm on page 20 and have been for a few weeks.

Well you have had just a little bit going on lately...

2011-03-21 9:20 PM
in reply to: #3407868

User image

Master
Horseheads, NY
SSMinnow - 2011-03-21 10:11 PM

Spanky--so happy for you.  Stay true to taking it slowly and you'll be back in business in no time flat.

William--we'll take you whenever you have time to stop by and say hi....don't feel like you need to back read...same old stuff-people with great results, people wanting better results and lots of us hoping to do our first tri of the season soon!

Dan--Noakes was one of my favorite early reads.  I used to go back to it often.  Well worth the effort.

Nearly all the snow is gone in Madison, but the pisser is we are supposed to get 1-4" on Wednesday.....the joy of Spring in WI!

Right there with you Suzy.  Last Friday it was 60 deg.  The rest of this week it will struggle to get out of the 30's and we are supposed to get some snow on Wednesday.  I don't think they are calling for 4" but enough to cover the ground.  Ugghh!!

2011-03-21 9:45 PM
in reply to: #3406555

User image

Veteran
New York
kt65 - 2011-03-21 11:45 PM
dcon - 2011-03-21 5:11 AM

Tuffli:  really cute pic and great race report.  I will be curious to hear what others have to say about your nutrition since I want to do an HIM in Sept.   It sounds like you took in quite a bit on the bike, but it wasn't clear what you were doing on the run until some time after you cramped.   Cramping is still a mystery for the scientists.  There is no solid evidence yet to say that it is caused by lack of electrolytes or lack of a certain mineral like potassium.   

Awesome job to hang in there through that run.  A couple of Olys I did last summer were high temp/humidity (32 C and 70% humidity), but I guess Singapore weather was even tougher.  

AGREE!  She is such a cutie!  And GREAT RACE!

Last summer, I had some issues with leg cramping on my first few brick runs and had to really be conscious of driniking enough water on the bike.  Especially on hotter days.  It wasn't clear from your rr whether you were following your gatorade or bars/etc with water?  I use infinit and water, usually drink a gulp of sport drink and then a gulp or two of water. 

If you were doing what you normally did (nutritionally) in training, though, then it very well could have been your amazingly strong effort on the bike took a bit out of you for the run.   

I didn't mention that I also took in about 32oz of water as well on the bike, which is actually different than my training rides where I carry only Gatorade (3 x 32 oz) on my long rides.  I think a big part was hammering the bike, eventhough I thought my legs were feeling good.

On the run, I mainly drank water for the first 5km and then I took one Powergel w/ 1x caffeine. Then nothing really untill it went downhill around the 11km mark..

2011-03-21 10:40 PM
in reply to: #3406096

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lamar
tpnguyen10 - 2011-03-20 9:29 PM

Awesome job to all the racers this weekend!!!

First HIM was a great experience!! Learned a lot about my body, what it can handle & not handle, and pacing!!! more details to come..

Congrats on your Finish. I totally agree with you on learning lots and can't wait for the next one.

2011-03-21 10:49 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lamar
Techdiver - 2011-03-21 1:39 PM

Glad to hear the great news and I don't blame you I would be to. Just take it easy so your not grounded again.

2011-03-21 10:58 PM
in reply to: #3407875

User image

Veteran
New York
gdale - 2011-03-22 11:20 AM
SSMinnow - 2011-03-21 10:11 PM

Right there with you Suzy.  Last Friday it was 60 deg.  The rest of this week it will struggle to get out of the 30's and we are supposed to get some snow on Wednesday.  I don't think they are calling for 4" but enough to cover the ground.  Ugghh!!

sucks! I really hope you guys get some better (& consistent) weather soon!  I can only imagine being cooped up all winter.. 

This'll probably OWS in the NY area until mid-end April?..

2011-03-21 11:01 PM
in reply to: #3407858

User image

Veteran
New York
Techdiver - 2011-03-22 11:06 AM

Not in May There is no way in my mind I can SAFELY build up volume to do a HALF MARY in May...My goal is to train safe and hit my first Sprint Triathlon in mid June.

I did run 2.5 km tonight with a walking warm up. I actually found it HARD to slow down. I didn't feel I was running fast but evertime I looked at my Garmin my pace was too fast. I had to keep slowing myself down. Knee felt weird, I think I was over compensating, feeling this new muscle I built up on my MCL side working it 5 days a week and not running. No tightness or soreness after my run. But I was sort of WAITING for it all run.. Worried I would feel something but didn't feel pain. Just felt Different if that makes any sense.

I will aim for an end of season Half Marathon. The Detroit Free press maybe close to home plus you get to run over the bridge and back under the tunnel between detroit and windsor running through both countries in one day. OR The Chicago R&R that some people from BT are doing.. that might be fun to meet other BT people. Both are in September around the same time frame....

My Training buddy is off to China to Teach for 5 weeks this summer so I am going to miss her. But her sister is going to do a half marathon clinic this summer.. so I might do that... Slow Safe Volume increases...

And I get to help with our learn to run clinic. 21 people signed up tonight and 11 people for the 10k clinic.. it all starts in 2 weeks.

Glad to hear you're recovering.  Good idea to forego the HM.  Keep your eye on the prize for mid June.  You'll kill it!!

2011-03-22 4:56 AM
in reply to: #3407949

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan
tpnguyen10 - 2011-03-22 2:01 AM
Techdiver - 2011-03-22 11:06 AM

Glad to hear you're recovering.  Good idea to forego the HM.  Keep your eye on the prize for mid June.  You'll kill it!!

X2.  Be patient.  Be consistent.  All will come "in due time, in due time" as my high school latin teacher used to say.

2011-03-22 7:46 AM
in reply to: #3408022

User image

Chatham Ontario
dcon - 2011-03-22 4:56 AM

X2.  Be patient.  Be consistent.  All will come "in due time, in due time" as my high school latin teacher used to say.

I am I found it hard to run SLOW last night. I felt slow but was faster then I thought I had to keep slowing down.

2 weeks from now I am going to help run a couch to 5k program with my friends. We now have 29 people signed up. So once the group breaks apart a bit we can see where everyone is I am going to take the slower part of the group and use the program to build back up.. I will be helping people and FORCING  MYSELF to progress back in slowly. I think Stef is making me do this with her for my own good.

Suzy. We are supposed to get the same weather shortly after you. This sure doesn't feel like spring here yet, we are still below seasonal temps on average and we are calling for freezing rain tonight and then 6-8 inches of snow on Wed after you see it they expect it to pick up some lake effect and drop more here. I hope the weather people are DEAD WRONG.

I need spring in a BAD way this year. Scuba diving season is also around the corner.

2011-03-22 8:04 AM
in reply to: #3408123

User image

Elite
san francisco
Techdiver - 2011-03-22 5:46 AM
dcon - 2011-03-22 4:56 AM

I am I found it hard to run SLOW last night. I felt slow but was faster then I thought I had to keep slowing down.

2 weeks from now I am going to help run a couch to 5k program with my friends. We now have 29 people signed up. So once the group breaks apart a bit we can see where everyone is I am going to take the slower part of the group and use the program to build back up.. I will be helping people and FORCING  MYSELF to progress back in slowly. I think Stef is making me do this with her for my own good.

Suzy. We are supposed to get the same weather shortly after you. This sure doesn't feel like spring here yet, we are still below seasonal temps on average and we are calling for freezing rain tonight and then 6-8 inches of snow on Wed after you see it they expect it to pick up some lake effect and drop more here. I hope the weather people are DEAD WRONG.

I need spring in a BAD way this year. Scuba diving season is also around the corner.

Glad to hear you are on the road to recovery, Spanky! 

Hope everyone starts to see some nice spring weather soon.  It seems we've gone backwards here on the west coast...rain rain go away...i know we need it, but ugh.

2011-03-22 8:09 AM

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario
Spanky: you're definitely doing the recovery the right way. Slow and easy. The learn to run group should work perfectly for rebuilding your knee?
Kim. at least with your rain rain and more rain you dont have to shovel it or have to run through the slush when it starts to melt.
Have a great week all.
2011-03-22 8:28 AM

User image

Champion
marietta

spring.  80 degrees today.  bright sunny sky.  everyone is smiling.  AND THE DAMN BIRD OUTSIDE MY OFFICE WINDOW WILL NOT STFU!!!!!  

glad your running again chris.  take it easy!

Edited by fattyfatfat 2011-03-22 8:28 AM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » swbkrun with us!!! - Closed Rss Feed  

of 171