General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman 70.3 Boise : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 22

2012-05-31 4:24 PM
in reply to: #4237851

User image

Veteran
Denver area
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Boise : Official Thread
PeteDin206 - 2012-05-31 4:06 PM
mountain_erin - 2012-05-31 1:52 PM

I need some serious "not broken" vibes.  My ankle/heel has been hurting for 1.5 weeks and no amount of resting/NSAIDs is making it significantly better.  Finally broke down and went to an Ortho today and he sent me straight off for an MRI to rule out a stress fracture of my heel bone.

Bright side: that's a huge/thick bone and I'd imagine it would be really hard to stress fracture

Not-so-bright side: I have a stupid high pain tolerance and have run 10 miles on a broken foot w/out realizing it was broken.  And your heel bone takes an eternity to heal.  UGH.

I get the report direct from the radiologist at 2 PM tomorrow.  Hopefully its not broken.  If it is, my race will become an AquaBike.

I fractured my heel bone in Thailand once... It isn't a fun injury if you did. Mine was a stupid drunk incident involving an Aussie, an RC car and 2 fifths of thai whiskey...

See, I NEVER have good stories like that!  When I broke my other foot, I have no idea what I did to it.  I just know it hurt for a good 10 days (and going skiing, snowmobiling, and running) before I finally relented and went to the doctor.  I just need to start making up cool stories.

2012-05-31 4:54 PM
in reply to: #4237876

User image

Extreme Veteran
mountain_erin - 2012-05-31 2:24 PM

PeteDin206 - 2012-05-31 4:06 PM
mountain_erin - 2012-05-31 1:52 PM

I need some serious "not broken" vibes.  My ankle/heel has been hurting for 1.5 weeks and no amount of resting/NSAIDs is making it significantly better.  Finally broke down and went to an Ortho today and he sent me straight off for an MRI to rule out a stress fracture of my heel bone.

Bright side: that's a huge/thick bone and I'd imagine it would be really hard to stress fracture

Not-so-bright side: I have a stupid high pain tolerance and have run 10 miles on a broken foot w/out realizing it was broken.  And your heel bone takes an eternity to heal.  UGH.

I get the report direct from the radiologist at 2 PM tomorrow.  Hopefully its not broken.  If it is, my race will become an AquaBike.

I fractured my heel bone in Thailand once... It isn't a fun injury if you did. Mine was a stupid drunk incident involving an Aussie, an RC car and 2 fifths of thai whiskey...

See, I NEVER have good stories like that!  When I broke my other foot, I have no idea what I did to it.  I just know it hurt for a good 10 days (and going skiing, snowmobiling, and running) before I finally relented and went to the doctor.  I just need to start making up cool stories.

I was trying to find the video, but it is only on my myspace account and I don't remember the user name, email or password. It was pretty awesome.
2012-05-31 7:55 PM
in reply to: #3940536

User image

Veteran
Denver area

so yep, my heel is broken.  At this point, I may do an AquaBike.  Don't know yet.  My doctor's nurse called me at the end of business hours to let me know the MRI results, but she didn't know how long I was down, what my exercise limitations were (swim or bike?) or even if I should wear a boot.  WTF?  Needless to say, I'm taking my own copy of my MRI to a different doctor so I can get a real treatment plan.

And I'm wearing the damn boot that I had to get from when I broke my other foot in 2008. 

LAME

2012-05-31 9:47 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Put your boot on right away... Definitely no running for a while. I hate to be the bearer of bad news but it could be up to 6 months depending on the fracture. I was in a boot for 3 months and told not to run for 5-6. You should be ok to swim right away just be careful with pushing off the wall. Talk to a doctor about biking as you could come down on your heel very easily which would potentially cause it not to heal.

Obviously I'm not a doctor so please consult with one, but that is what I remember for my recovery.
2012-05-31 11:28 PM
in reply to: #4238191

User image

Regular
mountain_erin - 2012-05-31 5:55 PM

so yep, my heel is broken.  At this point, I may do an AquaBike.  Don't know yet.  My doctor's nurse called me at the end of business hours to let me know the MRI results, but she didn't know how long I was down, what my exercise limitations were (swim or bike?) or even if I should wear a boot.  WTF?  Needless to say, I'm taking my own copy of my MRI to a different doctor so I can get a real treatment plan.

And I'm wearing the damn boot that I had to get from when I broke my other foot in 2008. 

LAME

that sucks. sorry to hear the bad news.  You should see what the problems would be beyond the pain if you decide to do the run.  You could always try to do it maybe???? Since you have a high pain tolerance.

on another note.  another person that is in the race but not on the forum here said the water is about 50+/- a couple of degrees.  A guy posted to her post on facebook that his boat temp said 50 in some spots and 53 in other spots. guess the guy is out skiing at Lucky Peak already.  Soooo temp prolly going to be 53??? Maybe 55???

2012-06-01 1:04 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
It depends on where the boat is. The further south (ie where we will be swimming) in the lake the warmer it is according to most people I've talked to. A guy in the Kokanee forum said 56 near the launch when I PM'd him directly. That was temp on the surface. I'd guess 56-62 depending on how much water they are dumping out. It is going to be hot next week early on so we should see the temp jump a bit.

2012-06-01 5:55 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chelsea, MI

I laughed out loud this morning when I checked the weather forcast.  I guess I'll have to change my source......

Saturday

Jun 9

Partly Cloudy

Partly Cloudy

Hi:82°Lo:57°

Partly Cloudy. High 82F and low 57F. Winds W at 16 mph. Air Quality:NA, UV Index:NA

0%

I hope everyone is having a good taper.  I've been bad and got a little lazy since it started, but I have not had two days ina row without training since December.  I'm due for some lazy days of recoup.  I don't know about you folks, but I'm getting excited.  I start the drive out from Michigan Tuesday after work.   

2012-06-01 8:04 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Hi gang,

I only discovered this thread a couple weeks ago, doi, and daughter had the plaque so too busy to mess around. Hope everyone's training is going well, oh man so sorry Erin to see your post, totally sucks, ughhh!! Have you made a decision on the race? I'm having some continuous pain in my right quad and hoping I don't do a death march myself, I'm already very undertrained for the run as I've struggled most of off season with various achilles issues, then switched to Chi and now this, frustrating. 

I swam LP last nite, got in the water about 6 and sure it was cold but not nearly as bad as last year. I did 2 loops if you can call it that, just went down to 2nd buoy twice and back and spoke with a few other athletes there and my Garmin showed I was in water 28min, my feet were not numb, nor my face, I call that a win win. Oh, a friend of mine texted me at some point that afternoon and said he was told temp was 56 degrees, that sounds about right, should get warmer hopefully.

Are any of you meeting up at some point there? I wasn't able to read the early threads but if you are I'd luv to "meet" some BT'ers!

Hang in there, no crazy workouts, put the mojo in the bank for raceday! Whoot! Whoot!

Patsy

2012-06-01 10:04 AM
in reply to: #4238756

User image

Regular
PatsyID - 2012-06-01 6:04 AM

Hi gang,

I only discovered this thread a couple weeks ago, doi, and daughter had the plaque so too busy to mess around. Hope everyone's training is going well, oh man so sorry Erin to see your post, totally sucks, ughhh!! Have you made a decision on the race? I'm having some continuous pain in my right quad and hoping I don't do a death march myself, I'm already very undertrained for the run as I've struggled most of off season with various achilles issues, then switched to Chi and now this, frustrating. 

I swam LP last nite, got in the water about 6 and sure it was cold but not nearly as bad as last year. I did 2 loops if you can call it that, just went down to 2nd buoy twice and back and spoke with a few other athletes there and my Garmin showed I was in water 28min, my feet were not numb, nor my face, I call that a win win. Oh, a friend of mine texted me at some point that afternoon and said he was told temp was 56 degrees, that sounds about right, should get warmer hopefully.

Are any of you meeting up at some point there? I wasn't able to read the early threads but if you are I'd luv to "meet" some BT'ers!

Hang in there, no crazy workouts, put the mojo in the bank for raceday! Whoot! Whoot!

Patsy

You were probably out swimming with some of my friends down there. Thanks for the update on the temps.  I wonder if she thought it was colder as I had said above. But good to hear that the water is better.

Another friend of mine also said that it was warmer than what her and I swam at CDA last week so it is a relief to hear her say that it is warmer than CDA.

2012-06-01 10:10 AM
in reply to: #4238191

User image

Elite
Utah
mountain_erin - 2012-05-31 6:55 PM

LAME

Awe man    Soo Sorry to hear that.  Makes my visit from Mr Stomach Flu seem like a reason to do the happy dance.   Not sure what you have planned later in the season, but you might want to sacrifice this to save yourself from further injury and healing turmoil.

I'm glad to hear the water is warming.  Mr Murphy LOVES me, so par my new neoprene cap getting lost in the mail, I'm sure the water will continue to warm

Meanwhile, I think I'm going to head down to the break room and ice my sore knee before going lay out a 1mi family fun run for tomorrow
Oh, and then this weekend I'm going to go check out the new gearing on my bike, YIPPEE!!!!

But don't worry Patsy, I'm not gonna do anything crazy
2012-06-01 10:47 AM

User image

Veteran
Denver area
Thanks for the advice and well wishes, guys.  No question, I will NOT be running anytime soon.  From everything I've read, if you continue to run, you will turn your stress fracture into a full fracture.  And fractures of your heel are very, very, very bad.  So, nope, not risking it.  As for the swim and bike, maybe.  I did 110 miles on the bike last weekend and my heel did not get any worse (and it didn't hurt while riding).  I may swim and bike and then hand my chip in, so at least I do *something*.  But definitely, no running.

2012-06-01 11:13 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Might as well. You paid to race and if you can only race the swim and the bike, at least you will get to do that.

I figured out my myspace password. Hopefully this will provide some humor with the situation. (if the link works)

http://www.myspace.com/video/pedroescobar/kill-the-f-39-ing-car/103...

Edited by PeteDin206 2012-06-01 11:13 AM
2012-06-01 12:27 PM

New user
Portland
Erin, Sending healing thoughts for your heel! I wish you a speedy recovery!
2012-06-01 1:26 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Time to start final gear prep.  Got new tires and tubes to put on this weekend.  Replace tape on hoods.  Clean chain, cassette, rings.  Lube chain.  Grease pedals.  Take for a few test rides to make sure shifters are dialed in.  Make sure screws on cleats are tight.  Make sure I got CO2, tubes, tools, etc. in seat bag. 

Any other gear type prep you do prior to race?

2012-06-01 1:52 PM
in reply to: #4239571

User image

Regular
popsracer - 2012-06-01 11:26 AM

Time to start final gear prep.  Got new tires and tubes to put on this weekend.  Replace tape on hoods.  Clean chain, cassette, rings.  Lube chain.  Grease pedals.  Take for a few test rides to make sure shifters are dialed in.  Make sure screws on cleats are tight.  Make sure I got CO2, tubes, tools, etc. in seat bag. 

I put new chain, tires, and tubes on this last weekend.  Plan on going out this weekend on my bike with hope of not getting flats on my new tires/tubes (now I will).  I also greased pedals, adjusted derailleurs, oiled chain, adjusted brakes.  I should really of put new cables on as well but didn't have the extra cash to do so since my bike computer so I had to buy a new one.  Perhaps money would of been better spent on cables? I rely on cadence and HR though since I don't have a power meter

Question though: How many CO2 cartridges should I take? I was thinking just 1 but maybe that isn't smart? I was only planning on taking 1 extra tube with me.  

I've been writing out my list of things needed for each transition and also for how I am going to plan my morning out.  

2012-06-01 2:12 PM

New user
Portland
I've definitely been working on my everything and the sink list.Definitely will be checking screws in my shoes. I had my left come loose during my dress rehearsal a couple weeks ago, definitely not funFor the co2 it depends on what size cartridge you have, I've seen some that will cover two tubes.Plus need to get car tires rotated and oil changed, don't want to have to ride my bike to Boise8 days!!!

2012-06-01 2:29 PM
in reply to: #4239571

User image

Extreme Veteran
popsracer - 2012-06-01 11:26 AM

Getting a set of Zipp FC 808's thrown on by Speedy Reedy on Monday. Just had a tune up but I will be cleaning my chain, cassette and pulleys over the weekend. Other than that, I just packed my transition bag, but I will probably be repacking it 2-3 times between now and Wednesday when everything goes up to my brother's place to pack into the car.
2012-06-01 2:34 PM

User image

Hey, all!

Erin -- I'm so, so sorry.  Echo everyone else:  Come join us for a dip and a bike if you're able -- but not at the expense of further injury.  :-)

Should get my rented race day wheels (808 Firecrest tubulars) via fedex tomorrow.  Taking Sasha (my ride) to the local tri shop on Tuesday for cassette swap and last-minute adjustments.  Also going to brave Lucky Peak on Sunday for a quick test swim.  Will report back with temp and my experience. 

Getting pretty excited for race week, y'all!

Edited by rbhancock1 2012-06-01 2:35 PM
2012-06-01 2:39 PM
in reply to: #4239665

User image

Regular

katpopovich - 2012-06-01 12:12 PM I've definitely been working on my everything and the sink list.Definitely will be checking screws in my shoes. I had my left come loose during my dress rehearsal a couple weeks ago, definitely not funFor the co2 it depends on what size cartridge you have, I've seen some that will cover two tubes.Plus need to get car tires rotated and oil changed, don't want to have to ride my bike to Boise8 days!!!

Good call on the shoes. I'll check mine tonight.  

Hmmm good question on that one. I think I have a one shot fill for mine.  

Funny of you to mention the car.  I too will be getting the tires rotated tomorrow and after that will change the oil.  I have a 7 hour drive this next Thursday that I am not looking forward to.

On another note about the dress rehearsal, I guess that is something I should practice this weekend. I only worry about ripping my wetsuit when taking it off. Any good suggestions? 

What about rolling it up and stuffing it in the bag? I'll probably get a big bag to practice shoving my swim gear in it.  

Anyone doing running start and throw shoes on the bike? I am not sure how I will handle that.

2012-06-01 2:47 PM
in reply to: #4239616

User image

Extreme Veteran
spie34 - 2012-06-01 11:52 AM

Question though: How many CO2 cartridges should I take? I was thinking just 1 but maybe that isn't smart? I was only planning on taking 1 extra tube with me.  

I've been writing out my list of things needed for each transition and also for how I am going to plan my morning out.  

I was planning on carrying two co2 and one tube, but I may carry a second tube because of the "goat heads". From what I've read they can cause havoc on the bike.
2012-06-01 3:31 PM

New user
Portland
Anybody else having trouble focusing at work? Between excitement and my energy returning I am having trouble focusing today. Next week could be in trouble in regards to work.

2012-06-01 3:41 PM

User image

Veteran
Denver area

I typically race with 2-3 CO2 cartridges and 1-2 tubes.  (same was what I have in my bag normally).

I'd also suggest bringing some cheapie flip-flops to wear while waiting for the swim.  That asphalt parking lot sucks.  An extra pair of goggles is good too.

2012-06-01 4:24 PM
in reply to: #4239731

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
PeteDin206 - 2012-06-01 12:47 PM

I was planning on carrying two co2 and one tube, but I may carry a second tube because of the "goat heads". From what I've read they can cause havoc on the bike.

I always carry 2 12 gram CO2's and 2 tubes.  You could probably get by with one 16 gram if you have an air dispenser that seals good between uses.

I'm in a very early wave because I'm old but was thinking it might be an advantage to start later and let a few others pick up those "goat heads".

2012-06-01 4:37 PM
in reply to: #4239809

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

katpopovich - 2012-06-01 1:31 PM Anybody else having trouble focusing at work? Between excitement and my energy returning I am having trouble focusing today. Next week could be in trouble in regards to work.

Work is definately suffering.

2012-06-01 4:42 PM
in reply to: #4239905

New user
Portland
popsracer - 2012-06-01 2:24 PM
PeteDin206 - 2012-06-01 12:47 PM

I always carry 2 12 gram CO2's and 2 tubes.  You could probably get by with one 16 gram if you have an air dispenser that seals good between uses.

I'm in a very early wave because I'm old but was thinking it might be an advantage to start later and let a few others pick up those "goat heads".

I had that thought, I'm in one of the later waves and was laughing that everyone else would have blazed the "goat head" trail for me lol knock on wood (don't want to jinx myself because I am not fast at changing my tires)
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman 70.3 Boise : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 22