BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Yanti & Lynn: Manatee Madness Mentor Group CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 69

2011-12-31 2:49 AM
in reply to: #3942879

User image

England
Subject: RE: Yanti & Lynn: Manatee Madness Mentor Group CLOSED

Morning manatees

Do any of you have an opinion on wether those ear thingies work on keeping water out whilst swimming? i have been getting pain in my ears after my swims which i dont particularly like! Wondered if these ear plug ins worked or not and if so which types.

Love the manatee group. so much info, support and humour. Cant wait to get up in the morning to see whats been postedSmile.

Allen

2011-12-31 2:53 AM
in reply to: #3963205

User image

England

"Has anybody created a quick link list for all the Manatee's yet?  I dont know if I have missed it....or if one has been posted."

I havent seen any posts regarding a new link but was also wondering if there is a quick way to access our group without going through the process of forum/mentor group/scrolling down to find the manatees then finally getting through to us

Edited by ukweeble 2011-12-31 2:58 AM
2011-12-31 6:26 AM
in reply to: #3962668

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
amd723 - 2011-12-30 5:47 PM utting aerobars on my road bike was something I considered last summer as I started to gear up for my HIM.  I read some of Tom Demerly's post that essentially said adding aerobars to a road bike creates a mediocre road bike and a mediocre tri bike.  At least that was my interpretation.  In the end, I didn't add them and it appeared I was the only person in the race without either a tribike or clip ons. 

Since I'm sure I will be doing at least 1 HIM this season, I am back to deciding what to do.  I'd love a tribike, but i'd also love to save some money.  Decisions, decisions.

Ann-Marie

I did my first HIM on my road bike.  I got the tri bike after I signed up for am IM and I had it for my second HIM.  I like my road bike and I did not want to put aerobars on it for a few reasons -- mostly because I want to use it for climbing and the aerobars would not be great for standing climb plus would add weight that I didn't want to carry up Pilot Mountain.   Secondly, I did not want to mess with the fit of my road bike in anyway and I was afraid that adding the aerobars would necessitate some changes that I didn't want to make.   Everyone's situation is different.

2011-12-31 6:29 AM
in reply to: #3963242

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
ukweeble - 2011-12-31 3:49 AM

Morning manatees

Do any of you have an opinion on wether those ear thingies work on keeping water out whilst swimming? i have been getting pain in my ears after my swims which i dont particularly like! Wondered if these ear plug ins worked or not and if so which types.

Love the manatee group. so much info, support and humour. Cant wait to get up in the morning to see whats been postedSmile.

Allen

I use Mack's Pillow Soft Ear Plugs.  I get them at Rite Aid. Yes, the Kid's size fits me.

2011-12-31 8:41 AM
in reply to: #3963153

User image

Expert
Troy, MI
jogo - 2011-12-30 11:50 PM

In need of some quick mentoring.  I am scheduled for a Barre Plus class (ballet barre evilness + pilates + low weight high reps= hardest fricking workout that takes into Zone 4 with HR and kicks my butt) at 9:30a.m.   I am registered for an 8k at 2:30pm.   Is 4 hours between a hard cross training workout and a race enough or should I skip the Barre class?  

My goal for the 8k is to go 59:59.  I want to break an hour on a hilly, maybe icy course.  I did 1:01 last year at this race.  The longest I've run in since Oct. 30, at any one time is 3.2 miles.  I am usually a comfortable 11:15 min/mile pace for an easy 5 mile training run so this is not much of a stretch.

I am doing the run.  Should I really just kick 2011's butt and go for the Barre too?  

Ignore.  Had a dream last night that Barre (which is a very relaxed class time, sometimes 1.25 hours, sometimes 1.75 hours, sometimes 1 hour) ran super late and I had no time to run home to change into warm clothes to run outside.  Not taking the chance that the wonderful owners of this studio won't do something "extra" special for the holiday.  I love them but they are a little evil that way.  Definitely get the most for my money, especially because it was  a groupon buy.  Love the groupon!!

Edited by jogo 2011-12-31 8:42 AM
2011-12-31 8:50 AM
in reply to: #3963403

User image

Master
Orlando
jogo - 2011-12-31 8:41 AM
jogo - 2011-12-30 11:50 PM

In need of some quick mentoring.  I am scheduled for a Barre Plus class (ballet barre evilness + pilates + low weight high reps= hardest fricking workout that takes into Zone 4 with HR and kicks my butt) at 9:30a.m.   I am registered for an 8k at 2:30pm.   Is 4 hours between a hard cross training workout and a race enough or should I skip the Barre class?  

My goal for the 8k is to go 59:59.  I want to break an hour on a hilly, maybe icy course.  I did 1:01 last year at this race.  The longest I've run in since Oct. 30, at any one time is 3.2 miles.  I am usually a comfortable 11:15 min/mile pace for an easy 5 mile training run so this is not much of a stretch.

I am doing the run.  Should I really just kick 2011's butt and go for the Barre too?  

Ignore.  Had a dream last night that Barre (which is a very relaxed class time, sometimes 1.25 hours, sometimes 1.75 hours, sometimes 1 hour) ran super late and I had no time to run home to change into warm clothes to run outside.  Not taking the chance that the wonderful owners of this studio won't do something "extra" special for the holiday.  I love them but they are a little evil that way.  Definitely get the most for my money, especially because it was  a groupon buy.  Love the groupon!!

That's funny.  It was also probably the smart thing to do!

Ann-Marie

2011-12-31 8:57 AM
in reply to: #3963283

User image

Master
Orlando
jmkizer - 2011-12-31 6:26 AM
amd723 - 2011-12-30 5:47 PM utting aerobars on my road bike was something I considered last summer as I started to gear up for my HIM.  I read some of Tom Demerly's post that essentially said adding aerobars to a road bike creates a mediocre road bike and a mediocre tri bike.  At least that was my interpretation.  In the end, I didn't add them and it appeared I was the only person in the race without either a tribike or clip ons. 

Since I'm sure I will be doing at least 1 HIM this season, I am back to deciding what to do.  I'd love a tribike, but i'd also love to save some money.  Decisions, decisions.

Ann-Marie

I did my first HIM on my road bike.  I got the tri bike after I signed up for am IM and I had it for my second HIM.  I like my road bike and I did not want to put aerobars on it for a few reasons -- mostly because I want to use it for climbing and the aerobars would not be great for standing climb plus would add weight that I didn't want to carry up Pilot Mountain.   Secondly, I did not want to mess with the fit of my road bike in anyway and I was afraid that adding the aerobars would necessitate some changes that I didn't want to make.   Everyone's situation is different.

I think that is my biggest concern and am leaning towards the tri bike b/c of that issue.  Now if I could find someone in town who wants to go in with me on that Cervelo deal I could probably convince myself that buying the bike makes financial sense

Ann-Marie

2011-12-31 9:22 AM
in reply to: #3963428

User image

Expert
Troy, MI
amd723 - 2011-12-31 9:57 AM
jmkizer - 2011-12-31 6:26 AM

Ann-Marie

I think that is my biggest concern and am leaning towards the tri bike b/c of that issue.  Now if I could find someone in town who wants to go in with me on that Cervelo deal I could probably convince myself that buying the bike makes financial sense

Ann-Marie

Ooh, ooh, ooh, take me!!  I have my eye on a cerevelo S2.

2011-12-31 9:39 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Shore, MA.
Good lord, I'm not sure I can keep up with you guys. I may read them all but not always post. I really liked the 25min run few mins walk idea. Thank you for that little nugget...... Allen, I'm sure if you check 'Boots' they will have the earlplugs. I originally paid a silly amount from a sporting store, then found them at the local chemist a lot cheaper.
2011-12-31 10:24 AM
in reply to: #3962973

User image

Master
Vista, CA

What do some of your daily training diets look like?  What do you eat?

Suggested healthiest stuff -- lean protein, ie: lean meats, think chicken, pork and beef in smaller 3-4 oz. portions (about the size of your palm), eggs and egg whites, soy protein (some of the best absorbability), low- and non-fat dairy, fruits and veggies (sans lots of added butter), healthy fats, olive, canola, flaxseed oil, whole grains, limit added sugar foods and alcohol.

A little protein and a little carb before a workout an hour or so before. Whey from milk products takes a longer time to digest so if you're having yogurt, for example, you may need to wait a little longer because it kind of sits in your stomach. Whey protein is a great post workout recovery though -- you know the old chocolate milk, lowfat or nonfat preferably. Whey protein isolate found in many protein powders is one of the best at absorbing and is quite complete with all the amino acids. I'm sure we'll have this conversation again, but thought I'd throw this in.

Workouts less than an hour, usually don't require extra nutrition, btw. Just finished the nutrition in sport class and got some really good info to share.

2011-12-31 10:27 AM
in reply to: #3963486

User image

Master
Vista, CA

cheekymonkeys1 - 2011-12-31 7:39 AM Good lord, I'm not sure I can keep up with you guys. I may read them all but not always post. I really liked the 25min run few mins walk idea. Thank you for that little nugget...... Allen, I'm sure if you check 'Boots' they will have the earlplugs. I originally paid a silly amount from a sporting store, then found them at the local chemist a lot cheaper.

OMG, haven't thought of Boots in years. Spent some time in Scotland and they were on every corner it seemed, much like our CVS stores now here.

I also use a silicone ear plug you roll up and fit into your ear that work fine. The fitted "earplugs" just bothered me, but some people love those, too.

2011-12-31 10:47 AM

User image

Master
Vista, CA

This is Augie --4 year old Cocker Spaniel -- he's the crazy one, but endearing!

These are our three kitties in a rare moment together on the bed. Or, rather it's rare I see them all together. I think they secretly have kitty parties in the evenings. I've seen the glitter and once they forgot to put the disco ball away! Smile

And, the newest addition to our menagerie -- Sadie, the Bernese Mt. Dog in the snow where she's happiest.

Just had to share my fur family with you all.

2011-12-31 12:27 PM
in reply to: #3963205

User image

Melon Presser

srichards428 - 2011-12-31 2:16 PM Has anybody created a quick link list for all the Manatee's yet?  I dont know if I have missed it....or if one has been posted.

I've been working on it for a few days. The WYSIWYG editor in the logs does some horrible code scrubbing ... I created a gorgeous linked table with a Manatee background from scratch in HTML ... and it showed up perfectly in every single HTML editor, FrontPage, DreamWeaver, basic online ones ... and all effed up in my log. So I try to fix the HTML from the log's own HTML Source Editor ... AAAAAAAAH

The story continues, but basically ^^^^ X iterations of the above, with a call out for help to the BT nerds in between. Nothing's worked yet. marmadaddy (the head cheese of BT) said he would take a look at it, but this time of year he's insanely busy ...

BUT ... I will prevail! The links will link! I've given up on the awesome Manatee image I found (below), but ... eh.

Hey! Didn't we have a software engineer in here? HELLLOOOOOOOO?

Heh. How appropriate, actually.

2011-12-31 12:45 PM
in reply to: #3962918

User image

Seattle
wagonnatri - 2011-12-30 8:07 PM

I hope posting this picture works.  My pugs and I.  Disney on the left giving me stink eye and Parker my mostly blind rescue pug on the right. Oh and I (Chris) in the middle.  AND much to the chagrin of my family my white Christmas tree in the background, I love it, it makes so darn happy.

Ahh hahahaha love this!

2011-12-31 2:29 PM

User image

Melon Presser

Here's my best shot at a Manatee linked table. Theoretically, you should be able to copy it from here (try copying a few lines above and below), then click the Edit button on the top left of your log, and paste it in. Then click OK at the bottom of your log to save it.

MANATEES THREAD

Lynn (lmscozz)Yanti (TriAya)
Carla (crews)Claire (cggale)
Kate (Kate_r)Janyne (jmkizer)
Jo (jogo)Ann-Marie (amd723)
Kate (kgore)Adrienne (Asalzwed)
Keye (wushunut)Ann (stampinann)
Shana (DigitalRain)Allen (ukweeble)
Chris (wagonnatri)Kirk (Tripopo)
Deb (cheekymonkeys1)Alexis (NEdaynow)
Shawn (srichards428)Laurie (LGraff)
Lynne (Zelda-Riffic)Jim (jimmyb)
Joel (jtaddei)Quincy (quincyf)

Edited by TriAya 2011-12-31 2:30 PM
2011-12-31 3:54 PM
in reply to: #3962627

User image

Melon Presser
Tripopo - 2011-12-31 6:20 AM

I just upgraded my membership is there anyway to change days around on the stock plans?  my days off change every month and I like to schedule my longer stuff on off days when possible.

Here's an article with a video tutorial on how to move days and workouts in your training plan:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=480

2011-12-31 5:37 PM
in reply to: #3962973

User image

Seattle
wagonnatri - 2011-12-30 8:46 PM '
TriAya - 2011-12-30 6:45 AM
kgore - 2011-12-29 5:35 AM

The most helpful thing for me was to log my food for a few weeks. I would at least do two solid weeks of this.  It gave me reeeeally good insight into what kind of calories different foods were packin'. It opened my eyes to how much more food you can eat when it's not processed (which, let's be honest, who doesn't like MORE food.

Once you have a good idea of what you are eating too much of or what you need more of, start making small changes. Also, make sure the changes you are making are sustainable. Don't stop eating the things you like but maybe eat them a little less frequently (if it's something not so great for you.)

I started making all of my lunches. I just cook for four people (there are two of us) and we bring the leftovers for lunch. 

I try not to eat processed foods but there are a few things I can't live without. Cereal is huge for me. Rather than cutting it out, I just be sure to buy the ones that don't have a lot of sugar and are high in fiber and protein (I LOVE Fiber One...) It's a little above and beyond but we have a bread maker and I make all our bread. That way I know EXACTLY what goes into it. 

Anyway, those are my tips. I am certainly not a nutritionist or anything but these things have helped me. 

2011-12-31 5:44 PM
in reply to: #3963555

Extreme Veteran
lmscozz - 2011-12-31 10:24 AM

You're not going to like this response but I haven't changed my diet at all.  I still go to McD's when I fancy it and I still eat whatever I want until I don't want it anymore.  I guess part of my doing Tris is that it lets me eat whatever I want.  In the (almost) year that I've been doing this I've lost a good bit of weight and down 4 belt sizes.  I could probably lose more (and be more competitive!) if I lost more with a good diet but I just can't bring myself to do that yet.  Don't get me wrong, it's not like I eat like a total slob either.  My physician wife would kill me before she'd let the Hardees Thickburger kill me first.  Since I'm Chinese, I guess you could say that's my primary diet.  Lots of rice and lots of stir-fry.

As for training today.  Went on a run, did some "exploring" and ended up running further than I have in a while and further than intended.  Good parts of the run is that I went for 6miles, managed a 10min/mi pace and still feel fresh, like a I could do it again and not feel it.  I actually felt strong (endurance wise...more on that in a bit) at the end. 

Now the bad.  My left knee started to hurt after mile 4. I ran on it for a while but ended up gallowalking the the last 2 miles.  I'm hoping it's not an ITB issue.  Wondering if it's the shoes?  It's been a few hundred miles since I bought them, but they're minimalist shoes so it shouldn't make a difference right? Makes me wonder what my pace would've been had I been healthy the whole way?

Anyways, just took a motrin (it's not sore but just a precaution) and will lay off it for a couple of days.  Gives me an excuse to bike and swim I guess.  Weird that I'm both psyched about feeling so good after my run but bummed about my knee.  C'est la vie.

Happy New Year everyone!  May your new year be a blessed one.

2011-12-31 6:32 PM
in reply to: #3963888

User image

Master
Vista, CA
TriAya - 2011-12-31 12:29 PM

Here's my best shot at a Manatee linked table. Theoretically, you should be able to copy it from here (try copying a few lines above and below), then click the Edit button on the top left of your log, and paste it in. Then click OK at the bottom of your log to save it.

MANATEES THREAD

Lynn (lmscozz)Yanti (TriAya)
Carla (crews)Claire (cggale)
Kate (Kate_r)Janyne (jmkizer)
Jo (jogo)Ann-Marie (amd723)
Kate (kgore)Adrienne (Asalzwed)
Keye (wushunut)Ann (stampinann)
Shana (DigitalRain)Allen (ukweeble)
Chris (wagonnatri)Kirk (Tripopo)
Deb (cheekymonkeys1)Alexis (NEdaynow)
Shawn (srichards428)Laurie (LGraff)
Lynne (Zelda-Riffic)Jim (jimmyb)
Joel (jtaddei)Quincy (quincyf)

I was able to do it, Yanti-- no problem. THANK YOU so much for putting this together....{{{{presses}}}}}

2011-12-31 6:35 PM
in reply to: #3964139

User image

Master
Vista, CA
Asalzwed - 2011-12-31 3:37 PM

The most helpful thing for me was to log my food for a few weeks. I would at least do two solid weeks of this.  It gave me reeeeally good insight into what kind of calories different foods were packin'. It opened my eyes to how much more food you can eat when it's not processed (which, let's be honest, who doesn't like MORE food.

Once you have a good idea of what you are eating too much of or what you need more of, start making small changes. Also, make sure the changes you are making are sustainable. Don't stop eating the things you like but maybe eat them a little less frequently (if it's something not so great for you.)

I started making all of my lunches. I just cook for four people (there are two of us) and we bring the leftovers for lunch. 

I try not to eat processed foods but there are a few things I can't live without. Cereal is huge for me. Rather than cutting it out, I just be sure to buy the ones that don't have a lot of sugar and are high in fiber and protein (I LOVE Fiber One...) It's a little above and beyond but we have a bread maker and I make all our bread. That way I know EXACTLY what goes into it. 

Anyway, those are my tips. I am certainly not a nutritionist or anything but these things have helped me. 

YES!! Logging food intake helps if you want to see exactly what you're eating, but be honest. I use the loseit app and website as well as WW for this. But if you're not into WW, then try the loseit app. I have the free version and it's not failed me yet. Livestrong also had a logging tool and someone else mentioned another one, but I'm too lazy right now to go find the post.

2011-12-31 7:29 PM
in reply to: #3964197

User image

Veteran
North Bend, WA
lmscozz - 2011-12-31 4:35 PM
Asalzwed - 2011-12-31 3:37 PM

YES!! Logging food intake helps if you want to see exactly what you're eating, but be honest. I use the loseit app and website as well as WW for this. But if you're not into WW, then try the loseit app. I have the free version and it's not failed me yet. Livestrong also had a logging tool and someone else mentioned another one, but I'm too lazy right now to go find the post.

On iPad- so this might look bad!Sorry in advance!I was logging my food here, but someone told me about my fitness pal app - love it! Tried lose it but it didn't stick with me.

2011-12-31 7:37 PM

User image

Veteran
North Bend, WA
Today was my last "long run" before Phoenix marathon! Nailed it and felt pretty good!Did a local 1/2 marathon called Yukon Do It! Little slick in places as it was 28 degrees when we started. Rare DRY winter day near seattle! Ran along the water, few small hills though the advertised FLAT! Lovely lovey day!My plan - 30 min run pace 9:45 - 10:15, walk 1 min. Executed perfectly. My final average pace was 10:01 which is what I am hoping for in Phoenix. My fastest marathon run/walking is 4:57....Phoenix I am shooting for 4:30.Bring on 2012!!Look forward to getting to know you all better!AnnDamn iPad formatting- sorry

Edited by stampinann 2011-12-31 7:37 PM
2011-12-31 8:00 PM

User image

Expert
Troy, MI
YAY!!! Longest run in 2 months done!! New Years Eve 8k, ran straight through, no ouchies, steady cadence, few hills, PR by 4:11 from last year.  Tough AG this year.  I took 39/40 with a 57:09 finish (40/40 was close with 57:28).   Last year I would've place 14/25.  Its all a matter of who shows up.  I wasn't LAST!!!   Not that I cared.  I was so happy to run it all!!

Edited by jogo 2011-12-31 8:01 PM
2011-12-31 8:12 PM
in reply to: #3964288

User image

Veteran
North Bend, WA

jogo - 2011-12-31 6:00 PM YAY!!! Longest run in 2 months done!! New Years Eve 8k, ran straight through, no ouchies, steady cadence, few hills, PR by 4:11 from last year.  Tough AG this year.  I took 39/40 with a 57:09 finish (40/40 was close with 57:28).   Last year I would've place 14/25.  Its all a matter of who shows up.  I wasn't LAST!!!   Not that I cared.  I was so happy to run it all!!

YEAH!!! WAY TO GO....nice PR. 

Can you add me as friend to your training log?  Would love to be able to 'inspire' you.

2011-12-31 9:11 PM

User image

Veteran
Citrus Heights, CA

I didn't workout today...Well, unless you count the walking from the front of the zoo to the back of the zoo pushing a wheelbarrow with about 60 pounds of decomposed granite, then dumping that and making the return trip with ANOTHER 60 pounds of decomposed granite, only clean and without cockroaches (an issue we have within the reptile house...). And of course then I had to load all the new stuff  into the exhibit and position the limbs and other furniture 'just so'....but apart from that....nada.Laughing

I did receive my first week's planned workouts from my coach--she is having me focus on my run, but I will still be keeping the other disciplines up every week as well, along with some core work. It looks like fun/hard work, so I am rarin' to go....It doesn't start til Monday though. 

As for nutrition, I tend to not eat fast food, but every once in a while, I will have a craving for Taco Bell or a burger--so I have the meal, feel satisfied for 2 seconds, and then remember why I am not much of a fast food fan! I also don't eat/drink much dairy--it doesn't seem to agree with my gut...Same with wheat derived stuff. That doesn't mean I will not eat that stuff on occasion; I do LOVE ice cream (it just hates me!), but I just don't eat them regularly. What I do eat is lots of veggies, a fair amount of lean meats, some fruit (an apple a day, and if there are raspberries, its best to stay out from between me and the berries Tongue out), and bacon! Sugar is a BAD vice that I have a hard time saying 'no' to--as well as soda, but over time, I will remove them (mostly, if not fully) from my diet. I also try to avoid stuff with palm oil  

>>standing on soapbox<< Generally, the majority of palm oil used in foods is taken at the expense of orangutans--as their habitat is where it comes from--there are sustainable methods for obtaining palm oil, but as of yet, they are uncommon.  >>Steps down from soapbox<<

Sorry, had to get that out of my system--this is what happens when you work at a zoo! 

?

In the spirit of including our furry friends from home--here's one from work! he's a West African Dwarf Crocodile! I love to tell people that I have target trained him and taught him to 'wait' for his food--he's amazing.

Okay, now back to our regularly scheduled mentor thread...

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Yanti & Lynn: Manatee Madness Mentor Group CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 69