BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatee Mentors, Part 2! CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 106

2013-02-06 8:22 PM
in reply to: #4602563

User image

Veteran
East Texas
Subject: RE: Mad Manatee Mentors, Part 2! CLOSED
Cycle Ops Fluid 2

2013-02-06 11:33 PM

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.
Elite Super Crono Power Fluid here, really quiet, and apparently the resistance is closely matched to the road.
2013-02-07 12:35 AM
in reply to: #4611980

User image

Veteran
Cleveland, Tennessee

amd723 - 2013-02-06 4:54 PM
ponderingfox - 2013-02-06 5:39 PMWho has what type of bike trainer in here?  I'm starting to keep an eye out on Craigslist for one.
Kirk kinetic road machine here.

I also have an older KK Road Machine. I have now ridden my bike 4-5x more "miles" on the trainer than I have outside.

2013-02-07 12:43 AM
in reply to: #4611841

User image

Veteran
Cleveland, Tennessee

ponderingfox - 2013-02-06 2:35 PM I walked outside after work tonight and thought, "Hmm, it's kinda warm out here." It's 34*.

I NEVER thought I would say this, I wish it would get colder here. It was snowing today and has been for the past 2-3 days and I am getting tired of it. I work on helicopters and not all of them will fit in our hanger, so they are kept outside between flights and maintenance. Cleaning them off every time they come in gets annoying. I actually wanted it to drop by about 20F degrees today so it would be too cold to snow. By the way it was a "warm" 6F (-14), the daylight is increasing by almost 7 minutes a day.

I am going to miss the summers here. Nothing like waking at 4am and having full daylight outside for your morning run, or needing sunglasses at those times. By the end of April we will be having 16hrs of daylight a day.

2013-02-07 5:26 AM
in reply to: #4612204

User image

Veteran
East Texas
jbwills - 2013-02-07 12:43 AM

ponderingfox - 2013-02-06 2:35 PM I walked outside after work tonight and thought, "Hmm, it's kinda warm out here." It's 34*.

I am going to miss the summers here. Nothing like waking at 4am and having full daylight outside for your morning run, or needing sunglasses at those times. By the end of April we will be having 16hrs of daylight a day.

Man, that's a dream!! Except the whole sub 0 temperatures

2013-02-07 5:32 AM

User image

Veteran
East Texas

IT Band:

Well didn't sleep well at all last night because both injection sites were very very sore. Also felt like my heart raced all night (maybe from the celebrex). I was so worried about my knee I didn't even ask the doctor if taking celebrex would affect my heart rate while swim/bike/run like some antibiotics do. I've never taken a rx anti inflammatory so not sure how my body will respond.

Anyway, now that I am up there is very little soreness in both injection sites. I feel no IT Band pain at all. Hopefully it means it's working. I never could get ahold of my coach yesterday so hopefully I will talk to her today and we can outline a plan over the next week or two.

2013-02-07 5:39 AM
in reply to: #4612257

User image

Master
Orlando
JJ- - 2013-02-07 5:32 AM

IT Band:

Well didn't sleep well at all last night because both injection sites were very very sore. Also felt like my heart raced all night (maybe from the celebrex). I was so worried about my knee I didn't even ask the doctor if taking celebrex would affect my heart rate while swim/bike/run like some antibiotics do. I've never taken a rx anti inflammatory so not sure how my body will respond.

Anyway, now that I am up there is very little soreness in both injection sites. I feel no IT Band pain at all. Hopefully it means it's working. I never could get ahold of my coach yesterday so hopefully I will talk to her today and we can outline a plan over the next week or two.

Glad you're feeling better and hope it continues. I've taken prescription anti inflammatories before and did not notice any difference in my work outs. Of course, your results may vary.
2013-02-07 6:34 AM
in reply to: #4612260

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
amd723 - 2013-02-07 6:39 AM
JJ- - 2013-02-07 5:32 AM

IT Band:

Glad you're feeling better and hope it continues. I've taken prescription anti inflammatories before and did not notice any difference in my work outs. Of course, your results may vary.

X2, I too hope that things get to feeling better for you! Take it slow, all the work you've done won't go away in a day. My fingers are crossed and I'm praying for you.

2013-02-07 6:38 AM
in reply to: #4612204

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
jbwills - 2013-02-07 1:43 AM

I NEVER thought I would say this, I wish it would get colder here. It was snowing today and has been for the past 2-3 days and I am getting tired of it. I work on helicopters and not all of them will fit in our hanger, so they are kept outside between flights and maintenance. Cleaning them off every time they come in gets annoying. I actually wanted it to drop by about 20F degrees today so it would be too cold to snow. By the way it was a "warm" 6F (-14), the daylight is increasing by almost 7 minutes a day.

Yeah, the daylight thing up there is a weird deal, takes a bit to get used to. I would think that it would be wacky once you get used to it and it goes away. Ak is one weird, wonderful place. You are lucky to have spent some time there. Although I'm not sure about the sub zero temps either. 

2013-02-07 9:30 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

TX Jon - hoping the shots do the trick for your leg and the heart racing subsides.  I will keep you in my thoughts and send healing vibes your way.

AK Jon - hoping you get your wish of weather that's too cold to snow!  Our days are getting light longer here, too, and I am loving it.  I hate the short, dark days of winter, which of course nowhere near as bad and extreme as your location.

Tom - I have an older CycleOps Fluid trainer but it still works great.

Jo - you know what is right for you, race-wise.  You and only you will have to be happy with your decision and whatever comes of it.  Ride, girl, ride!  Get some more classes or tips or ride with some friends who can help you out or just help you get out there.  We love you no matter what!!

Yanti - sending you healing vibes, thoughts and prayers as well for your illness and now your ankle.  Funny Farm strikes again, no?  I hear PB cookies have excellent recovery properties.

Janyne - are you able to wear men's Ghost 4s or are they too wide for you?  I have the women's 4s which were just a bit tight in the toe box depending on the sock, foot puffiness or mileage so I bought men's Ghost 5s and they work for me.  They are a bit wider in the heel area than I would like but they work.

2013-02-07 10:24 AM

User image

Melon Presser

Oh, Manatees. I just got the news that a good friend of mine passed away from complications of malaria He was one of the people who really helped and stood by me when I was having such a hard time when I first moved back to Indonesia.

He worked for the UN and everything he did and everything he was, was about helping other people. He really did give his whole life for others and worked in places nobody would go. He contracted malaria in Liberia, was med-evac'ed to New York and died there.

I am in utter shock. Allen was so young--relatively--he and I are about the same age. So full of life and passion. A real piglet. Great hugs. I just had dinner with him a few months ago.

ETA ... I don't know if I told him I loved him last time. I don't remember. I know he knew I did, so that's what counts, I just ... I'm really confused. And I know it's never too late--at least in my belief system--I just want to remember to hug my loved ones extra tight EVERY day and make sure they know they are loved.

Edited by TriAya 2013-02-07 10:31 AM

2013-02-07 10:34 AM
in reply to: #4612735

User image

Master
TriAya - 2013-02-07 8:24 AM

Oh, Manatees. I just got the news that a good friend of mine passed away from complications of malaria He was one of the people who really helped and stood by me when I was having such a hard time when I first moved back to Indonesia.

He worked for the UN and everything he did and everything he was, was about helping other people. He really did give his whole life for others and worked in places nobody would go. He contracted malaria in Liberia, was med-evac'ed to New York and died there.

I am in utter shock. Allen was so young--relatively--he and I are about the same age. So full of life and passion. A real piglet. Great hugs. I just had dinner with him a few months ago.

ETA ... I don't know if I told him I loved him last time. I don't remember. I know he knew I did, so that's what counts, I just ... I'm really confused. And I know it's never too late--at least in my belief system--I just want to remember to hug my loved ones extra tight EVERY day and make sure they know they are loved.

Cry hugs and prayers Yanti.

2013-02-07 10:37 AM
in reply to: #4612748

User image

Melon Presser
bcraht - 2013-02-08 12:34 AM

Much appreciated. Pray for all his loved ones ... hot damn that boy got around ... no really, he was one of the friendliest people ever, never met a stranger, this is why the UN sent him to the mad corners of the Earth, because he could get anyone in his corner in half a second. He has over 1800 friends on FB and he is actually friends with all of them!

If anything were ever unfair, this is it. Allen wouldn't think so ... he was too busy trying to make life a little fairer for many people in truly horrific circumstances.

2013-02-07 10:39 AM

User image

Master
Central Kansas
TriAya - 2013-02-07 10:24 AM

I'm sorry, Yanti. That is super tough.

2013-02-07 10:43 AM
in reply to: #4612756

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
TriAya - 2013-02-07 9:37 AM

Much appreciated. Pray for all his loved ones ... hot damn that boy got around ... no really, he was one of the friendliest people ever, never met a stranger, this is why the UN sent him to the mad corners of the Earth, because he could get anyone in his corner in half a second. He has over 1800 friends on FB and he is actually friends with all of them!

If anything were ever unfair, this is it. Allen wouldn't think so ... he was too busy trying to make life a little fairer for many people in truly horrific circumstances.

Yanti, you and the others who love him will definitely be in my prayers. It's so hard to understand why these things happen to good people when it seems the bad people don't struggle at all. We must trust that an all knowing God is in control and it will all make sense one day. {{{hugs}}}

2013-02-07 10:49 AM
in reply to: #4612777

User image

Melon Presser
rrrunner - 2013-02-08 12:43 AM

Yanti, you and the others who love him will definitely be in my prayers. It's so hard to understand why these things happen to good people when it seems the bad people don't struggle at all. We must trust that an all knowing God is in control and it will all make sense one day. {{{hugs}}}

I'm kind of shaking my head, half-weeping, half-laughing ... poor Allen has survived just about everything ... bullets, riots, coups, natural and human disasters of every kind ... and a frickin' mosquito got him in the end!

I know he's okay with it. He knew full well every risk he was taking, and he absolutely loved what he did and wouldn't have it any other way. Still, though, man, we coulda used you around here for a lot longer! I might have to pick up some of his saintly slack now!

2013-02-07 11:02 AM
in reply to: #4611844

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California

ponderingfox - 2013-02-06 6:39 PM Who has what type of bike trainer in here?  I'm starting to keep an eye out on Craigslist for one.

CycleOps Fluid2 here.  It's good.  No real complaints

2013-02-07 11:02 AM
in reply to: #4612792

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
TriAya - 2013-02-07 9:49 AM
rrrunner - 2013-02-08 12:43 AM

I'm kind of shaking my head, half-weeping, half-laughing ... poor Allen has survived just about everything ... bullets, riots, coups, natural and human disasters of every kind ... and a frickin' mosquito got him in the end!

I know he's okay with it. He knew full well every risk he was taking, and he absolutely loved what he did and wouldn't have it any other way. Still, though, man, we coulda used you around here for a lot longer! I might have to pick up some of his saintly slack now!

That is so true for people who are called to serve in that way. We have some friends who gave up their comfortable, settled life in Omaha, Nebraska and moved to Malawi to run an orphanage. The wife, Alice, has had malaria several times, and they have to have armed guards to protect them from the local rebels who would murder them without thought, but they feel called to be there, so they stay. Celebrate the time you had with your dear friend.

2013-02-07 11:03 AM

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
TriAya - 2013-02-07 11:24 AM

I'm so sorry.  ::HUGS::

2013-02-07 11:03 AM

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
Saw my ortho doc this morning.  He did x-rays and checked things out.  No arthritis, but he's not really sure what's wrong either.  It's looking like SI pain or labral tear pain.  But, we can't be sure unless we do an MRI with contrast, which the insurance company won't cover until I try other things first.  Going to PT next week.  It's definitely manageable pain, just annoying, so I am certainly not considering surgery or anything drastic.  Mostly, I want to make sure I'm not going to hurt myself more by continuing to run.
2013-02-07 11:08 AM
in reply to: #4612825

User image

Master
Central Kansas
Artemis - 2013-02-07 11:02 AM

ponderingfox - 2013-02-06 6:39 PM Who has what type of bike trainer in here?  I'm starting to keep an eye out on Craigslist for one.

CycleOps Fluid2 here.  It's good.  No real complaints

Same here. It doesn't really work the best with my 650 tires (and I've talked to the company about it), but that probably won't be an issue for you, and aside from that, I love it.

2013-02-07 11:10 AM
in reply to: #4612834

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Artemis - 2013-02-07 10:03 AM Saw my ortho doc this morning.  He did x-rays and checked things out.  No arthritis, but he's not really sure what's wrong either.  It's looking like SI pain or labral tear pain.  But, we can't be sure unless we do an MRI with contrast, which the insurance company won't cover until I try other things first.  Going to PT next week.  It's definitely manageable pain, just annoying, so I am certainly not considering surgery or anything drastic.  Mostly, I want to make sure I'm not going to hurt myself more by continuing to run.

This reminded me of something I was going to ask THE POD. I haven't dealt with injuries much at all, shin splints when I first started running and a pulled calf muscle probably 4 or 5 years ago. Well now when I ride I'm feeling a slight, twinge, I guess you'd call it, on the outside just above my left ankle when I ride my bike. It's not constant and mostly when I'm getting warmed up. I don't know if it has anything to do with it, but I wear a, um, 5 pound weight on my left ankle all day every day. Thoughts? HTFU and quit whining? I just don't want to end up on the injured list Undecided 

2013-02-07 11:13 AM
in reply to: #4612834

User image

Melon Presser

Artemis - 2013-02-08 1:03 AM Saw my ortho doc this morning.  He did x-rays and checked things out.  No arthritis, but he's not really sure what's wrong either.  It's looking like SI pain or labral tear pain.  But, we can't be sure unless we do an MRI with contrast, which the insurance company won't cover until I try other things first.  Going to PT next week.  It's definitely manageable pain, just annoying, so I am certainly not considering surgery or anything drastic.  Mostly, I want to make sure I'm not going to hurt myself more by continuing to run.

Grrrr-ruff. You do have arthritis in your wrists and hands though, correct?

I sure hope PT helps. You up for trying acupuncture?

I went and got a massage earlier. One of the top 20 ever (and I've probably had a few hundred so it was truly amazing). Fine young piglet. That didn't hurt either. Anyway I feel like it really helped me feel better. My own arthritis has a way of being really annoying whenever I'm sick or hurting in other ways.

2013-02-07 11:14 AM
in reply to: #4612858

User image

Melon Presser
rrrunner - 2013-02-08 1:10 AM

Artemis - 2013-02-07 10:03 AM Saw my ortho doc this morning.  He did x-rays and checked things out.  No arthritis, but he's not really sure what's wrong either.  It's looking like SI pain or labral tear pain.  But, we can't be sure unless we do an MRI with contrast, which the insurance company won't cover until I try other things first.  Going to PT next week.  It's definitely manageable pain, just annoying, so I am certainly not considering surgery or anything drastic.  Mostly, I want to make sure I'm not going to hurt myself more by continuing to run.

This reminded me of something I was going to ask THE POD. I haven't dealt with injuries much at all, shin splints when I first started running and a pulled calf muscle probably 4 or 5 years ago. Well now when I ride I'm feeling a slight, twinge, I guess you'd call it, on the outside just above my left ankle when I ride my bike. It's not constant and mostly when I'm getting warmed up. I don't know if it has anything to do with it, but I wear a, um, 5 pound weight on my left ankle all day every day. Thoughts? HTFU and quit whining? I just don't want to end up on the injured list Undecided 

I'm not following. What's this weight?

2013-02-07 11:34 AM
in reply to: #4612872

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
TriAya - 2013-02-07 10:14 AM
rrrunner - 2013-02-08 1:10 AM

I'm not following. What's this weight?

Tool of my trade...?

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatee Mentors, Part 2! CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 106