Other Resources Challenge Me! » Sept 15-Oct 15 "Daniel's Running Formula" Book Club Rss Feed  
Moderators: the bear, kaqphin, tinkerbeth, D001, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 25

2013-10-09 4:36 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

Master
Northern IL
Subject: RE: Sept 15-Oct 15 "Daniel's Running Formula" Book Club
Originally posted by Asalzwed
Originally posted by switch
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

New question/thought for discussion.  I've noticed he doesn't discuss the need for recovery weeks as part of a plan, just in general in terms of a full-season approach.  As I look through the more detailed plans (5K to 15K specifically), there aren't any.

I dunno, it's just been beat into my head +10/+10/+10/-40, repeat, and his approach is nothing like that.

Yeah, what's with that? Dale? Matt? Salty? Ben?

Whadayalldo with that?

I'll do my best at explaining my interpretation. But this isn't my strong suit.

First, in terms of recovery for a season, look in the season plan. He talks about taking time off etc.

Now, what I think you are talking specifically about is recovery within a training block. Is that correct?

If so, the way I view recovery within a training block is decreased mileage and sometimes the type of workout. You don't really ever FULLY recover until taper for your race.  Notice the column labeled "fraction of peak mileage?" It seems to cycle through, the way other traditional plans would and I believe the quality workouts complement this.

I could be wrong in my interpretation though.

It's because those other things are canned plans for a variety of people. They drop the mileage/intensity down in that week to make sure you get some recovery and allow for the adaptations to sink in without building up too much at once. It'd be ridiculously hard to design a several month schedule ahead of time without that. Daniels takes care of that by extending out the time at a particular VDOT and/or weekly mileage total instead. This is how you recover and adapt to the load. The next increase doesn't come until you're ready. This requires requires a bit more thinking and awareness than the up 3 down 1 approach. 

2013-10-09 4:50 PM

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by Asalzwed I also think JD expects us to be aware of our own bodies and be a little flexible in the plan. If we need a little recovery, do so. I just don't think he wants to build a whole, generic plan around something that is so personal. 

Just bumping this Wink

2013-10-09 5:02 PM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by Asalzwed I also think JD expects us to be aware of our own bodies and be a little flexible in the plan. If we need a little recovery, do so. I just don't think he wants to build a whole, generic plan around something that is so personal. 

Just bumping this Wink

(RKv5vAR.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
RKv5vAR.jpg (6KB - 16 downloads)
2013-10-09 6:00 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Seattle
Originally posted by brigby1

Just bumping this Wink

Smile I love the contrast in my "feelings-based" description and your more technical explanation.

Edited by Asalzwed 2013-10-09 6:00 PM
2013-10-10 9:47 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

New question/thought for discussion.  I've noticed he doesn't discuss the need for recovery weeks as part of a plan, just in general in terms of a full-season approach.  As I look through the more detailed plans (5K to 15K specifically), there aren't any.

I dunno, it's just been beat into my head +10/+10/+10/-40, repeat, and his approach is nothing like that.

Yeah, what's with that? Dale? Matt? Salty? Ben?

Whadayalldo with that?

I'll do my best at explaining my interpretation. But this isn't my strong suit.

First, in terms of recovery for a season, look in the season plan. He talks about taking time off etc.

Now, what I think you are talking specifically about is recovery within a training block. Is that correct?

If so, the way I view recovery within a training block is decreased mileage and sometimes the type of workout. You don't really ever FULLY recover until taper for your race.  Notice the column labeled "fraction of peak mileage?" It seems to cycle through, the way other traditional plans would and I believe the quality workouts complement this.

I could be wrong in my interpretation though.

Help me out here...where?

2013-10-10 12:12 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Seattle

I was specifically looking at one of the marathon plans, so I apologize. But I stand by Ben and my comments above.

Here is what I was talking about:

2013-10-10 1:46 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

I was specifically looking at one of the marathon plans, so I apologize. But I stand by Ben and my comments above.

Here is what I was talking about:

Got it...thanks! 

2013-10-10 3:51 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Seattle

I'm curious if anyone has any feedback regarding shoes.

JD states that, "A very light shoe with poor cushioning might be a relatively "costly" shoe."

How do we define costly?

Is it just specific to injury?

I was trying to determine what shoe to wear for my next marathon. Would you guys agree that one should race in the lightest shoe that they can race in without injury?

I have raced 3 marathons at this point, all in a racing flat. I didn't have any injuries. But I guess I just don't know if that is the only indicator I should be looking at. Perhaps I would be better suited at that distance, in a shoe that has a little more cushioning? I just don't know.

I tried asking this question in TT a while back and got nothin'

2013-10-10 3:56 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

JD states that, "A very light shoe with poor cushioning might be a relatively "costly" shoe."

How do we define costly?

I was trying to determine what shoe to wear for my next marathon. Would you guys agree that one should race in the lightest shoe that they can race in without injury?

I have raced 3 marathons at this point, all in a racing flat. I didn't have any injuries. But I guess I just don't know if that is the only indicator I should be looking at. Perhaps I would be better suited at that distance, in a shoe that has a little more cushioning? I just don't know.

It is my understanding, that, yes, you should race in the lightest shoe that you can race in without injury, provided that it still allows for proper biomechanics.  Have you done all three marathons in the same shoe (maybe not the same pair, but same style) or have they been different styles, but all racing flats?

Have you seen this? http://runsmartproject.com/coaching/2012/02/06/how-much-does-shoe-w...

2013-10-10 4:07 PM
in reply to: switch

User image

Seattle

How do we define costly?

It is my understanding, that, yes, you should race in the lightest shoe that you can race in without injury, provided that it still allows for proper biomechanics.  Have you done all three marathons in the same shoe (maybe not the same pair, but same style) or have they been different styles, but all racing flats?

Have you seen this? http://runsmartproject.com/coaching/2012/02/06/how-much-does-shoe-w... same make and model, in fact.

That link doesn't seem to work for me. 

I have a satisfactory understanding of weight and it's relation to performance but for something like a marathon, I am just wonder about the shock your body is absorbing over 26.2 miles on the pavement vs even a 5000 on the track. Maybe, if trained properly, it's a non-issue. But I just don't know if injuries are the only way of telling that.

2013-10-10 4:12 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

http://runsmartproject.com/coaching/2012/02/06/how-much-does-shoe-weight-affect-performance/

Sorry, relinking, as I think it might address your question (but copying below too). It looks like there is a point where the lightness becomes a detriment because of the lack of shock absorption.

Question:  How much does shoe weight affect performance?

Dr. Jack Daniels: As a matter of fact I did the original research on shoe-weight factor, when I was working for Nike in the early 1980s and our research was presented at the World Congress of Sports Medicine in Vienna in the early 1980s. We found adding 100 grams to the shoe increased the aerobic demand of running by 1%. Now 100 grams is about 3.5274 ounces, so each ounce changes the cost of running about 0.2835% (1/3.5274= 0.2835). If you can run a mile in 5:40, that is going 284 meters per minute and that speed of running typically coasts about 55.55 ml O2 per Kg body weight per minute.  1 less ounce will change the cost to about 55.7075 (from 55.55 above) and that VO2 will be associated with a running speed of 284.7 m/min and a mile time of 5:39.17, so about .83 seconds for a mile, per ounce less weight. 

NOW, that research involved running in the exact same pairs of shoes with little lead weights inserted into a sleeve sewed onto the sides of the shoe (at the point of center of mass of the shoe so it wouldn’t change the toe or heel drop any). This allowed us to test WEIGHT ADJUSTMENT ONLY. When we tested the aerobic demand of different shoes of different weights, then we found a different story. Basically, as shoe weight went lighter the cost also dropped some, but when the shoe weight went too light, then the cost went up because there was getting to be less midsole cushioning and the runner’s muscles had to start absorbing more landing shock and that costs more energy. It depends on the surface on which you are running. A nice soft artificial track will itself absorb some landing shock so the shoes don’t need to do that for you, but on a street, you need some cushioning and that adds a little weight to the shoe, whereas reducing weight too far actually increases the cost of running, as does the material used in shoe design.

I hope this is simple enough. I think mentioning shoe design and midsole material is an important factor, and the most economical shoe we ever tested had a midsole over 1 inch think and was of a sponge material like you would wash your car with.  Those shoes (we referred to as “marshmallow shoes”) we’re not so light, but absorbed so much landing shock that they were a joy to run in. Negative side of those was they did not prevent any pronation and if you did pronate, these shoes just exaggerated the problem — never produced (illegal anyway as they put your heel more than the allowable 20mm above the ground).

2013-10-10 4:16 PM

User image

Seattle

Thank you. That is fantastic and right inline with what I was asking.

Hmm. 

So I wonder, how do we make that call? 

2013-10-10 4:21 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

I wonder if you could talk to your people at Brooks and test a few pairs on some longish runs.  How many 18-22 milers do you do leading up to your race? 

That might be a completely ridiculous idea. 

Obviously these would have to be shoes you would be considering anyway and would have already broken them in a bit on shorter runs.

2013-10-10 4:28 PM

User image

Seattle

I wonder if you could talk to your people at Brooks and test a few pairs on some longish runs.  How many 18-22 milers do you do leading up to your race? 

Obviously these would have to be shoes you would be considering anyway and would have already broken them in a bit on shorter runs.

I don't think it's necessarily ridiculous... I just don't know what variables to look for because as we all know, one 18-22 miler can go much better than another for a WIDE variety of reasons. I feel like it would be extremely difficult to isolate whether a shoe's cushioning is absorbing enough shock. But I certainly could be wrong.

As far as Brooks goes, I am giving them feedback for an ongoing project that has nothing to do with this subject. If there was some spare time and I felt comfortable asking I absolutely would, but I wouldn't want to be overstepping (hehe) as I am helping them with a project,  not vice versa. 

2013-10-10 4:31 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

RE: shoes

I made a very gradual movement towards lighter racing shoes.  I've done a full marathon and raced almost all of my 3rd tri season wearing the KSwiss Kruuz (6.5 oz).

Eventually though, I moved to Pearl Izumi.  I found that I liked having a little bit of padding in my shoe.  Running with the KRuuz left my legs feeling really beat up after some races.  In my second season I wore the Zoot TT Ultra 5.0, and I loved that shoe.  The Pearl Izumi Emotion N1 racer is the closest match to the Zoots that I could find locally.

JD covers this too, but I believe there's such a thing as too minimalist of a shoe as well as too much of a shoe, and I think that depends on the person.

Edited by msteiner 2013-10-10 4:33 PM
2013-10-10 4:33 PM
in reply to: msteiner

User image

Seattle
Originally posted by msteiner

I made a very gradual movement towards lighter racing shoes.  I've done a full marathon and raced almost all of my 3rd tri season wearing the KSwiss Kruuz (6.5 oz).

Eventually though, I moved to Pearl Izumi.  I found that I liked having a little bit of padding in my shoe.  Running with the KRuuz left my legs feeling really beat up after some races.  

JD covers this too, but I believe there's such a thing as too minimalist of a shoe as well as too much of a shoe, and I think that depends on the person.

Yes but how do we determine this?

I mean, your legs are inherently going to be a little beat up after a marathon. So, how do we decide what is too much?

2013-10-10 4:35 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

I don't think it's necessarily ridiculous... I just don't know what variables to look for because as we all know, one 18-22 miler can go much better than another for a WIDE variety of reasons. I feel like it would be extremely difficult to isolate whether a shoe's cushioning is absorbing enough shock. But I certainly could be wrong.

As far as Brooks goes, I am giving them feedback for an ongoing project that has nothing to do with this subject. If there was some spare time and I felt comfortable asking I absolutely would, but I wouldn't want to be overstepping (hehe) as I am helping them with a project,  not vice versa. 

Tru dat.  I just don't know how else you'd start to figure it out.  Might have to go with a "feeling," and I know how you hate that;)
2013-10-10 4:37 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi
Originally posted by msteiner

Eventually though, I moved to Pearl Izumi.  I found that I liked having a little bit of padding in my shoe.  Running with the KRuuz left my legs feeling really beat up after some races.  

Yes but how do we determine this?

I mean, your legs are inherently going to be a little beat up after a marathon. So, how do we decide what is too much?

For me, it's like falling in love.  You just know "the one" that is right for you.

2013-10-10 4:39 PM
in reply to: msteiner

User image

Seattle
Shyte, now you guys are getting all touchy-feely? I thought that was my job! Smile
2013-10-10 5:14 PM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by Asalzwed Shyte, now you guys are getting all touchy-feely? I thought that was my job! Smile

I'm not sure of how to do it better than trying to run in a couple pairs of shoes for awhile and see how things work out. Basically feel them out for awhile. And I have no problem with that. Smile

Should the guy in the $5,000 suit ...

2013-10-10 5:26 PM

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT

How do we define costly?

Have you seen this? http://runsmartproject.com/coaching/2012/02/06/how-much-does-shoe-w...

^This is c/w my opinion.
The lightest shoe that gives enough support to race without risk of injury and with reasonable comfort.

And the sad part is you get there by trial and error...

I enjoyed the luxury of being in a Nike trial-49 elite road racers and me-ha!

Good to know a VP at Nike. got to design my own racing flat gave feed back etc. Raced in them for my mile PR.
They weigh 5 oz-no support but allowed me to get through the mile in 5:23 at age 47.

2013-10-10 6:15 PM
in reply to: dtoce

User image

Seattle
Originally posted by dtoce

How do we define costly?

Have you seen this? http://runsmartproject.com/coaching/2012/02/06/how-much-does-shoe-w... ^This is c/w my opinion. The lightest shoe that gives enough support to race without risk of injury and with reasonable comfort. And the sad part is you get there by trial and error... I enjoyed the luxury of being in a Nike trial-49 elite road racers and me-ha! Good to know a VP at Nike. got to design my own racing flat gave feed back etc. Raced in them for my mile PR. They weigh 5 oz-no support but allowed me to get through the mile in 5:23 at age 47.

That's an awesome resource!

My RC5000s are like 3.2 oz Surprised and are a dream to run 5K-10K

2013-10-10 10:56 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

I had to lookup the RC5000's.  They make my racing flats look like combat boots.  As soon as I PR my 5k I'm getting a pair. I gotta earn something like that.

Also, best of luck to you at the XC race Saturday.  I had planned to swing by and give you some cowbell but looks like I'm escorting my son on his first 5k.

2013-10-11 8:07 AM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT
Originally posted by popsracer

Also, best of luck to you at the XC race Saturday.  I had planned to swing by and give you some cowbell but looks like I'm escorting my son on his first 5k.

Yes, I'll echo that---
GOOD LUCK to you on Saturday, Adrienne!!
and to you and your son, Steve!

I remember the days when my now 16yo was racing JO X-country at age 9...so much fun...enjoy each and every race

and I just noticed that Salty is in SBR Utopia with Ben and a few of my acquaintences-Rusty and Lani...Lani worked at my hospital until very recently and Tankboy was my idol during IM training--I wore the BT tat he sent me in the mail for that race!

6 degrees of separation
2013-10-11 8:44 AM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Seattle
Originally posted by popsracer

I had to lookup the RC5000's.  They make my racing flats look like combat boots.  As soon as I PR my 5k I'm getting a pair. I gotta earn something like that.

Oh hey no worries. Good luck to your son! I see there is a free spot in the 10k in Redmond I'm running in on Sunday if you are available, check the WA thread here on BT. It's a later start (11:00 I think)
New Thread
Other Resources Challenge Me! » Sept 15-Oct 15 "Daniel's Running Formula" Book Club Rss Feed  

of 25

RELATED POSTS

3000 swim challenge... Nov 15-Dec 15

Started by simpsonbo
Views: 1885 Posts: 2

2012-11-17 12:46 AM simpsonbo

Winter Crummy Weather Challenge Week 6 Dec 9-15

Started by TriDDS
Views: 2192 Posts: 13

2008-01-21 7:40 PM MikeJ

Crummy Weather Challenge Week 15 (Feb 18-24)

Started by autumn
Views: 1726 Posts: 10

2007-02-27 9:28 AM pseudoyams

Crummy Weather Challenge Week 10 (jan 15-21)

Started by autumn
Views: 2319 Posts: 18

2007-01-22 2:23 PM AKtri

Strength Challenge - Week 15 Check-in

Started by Ron
Views: 1421 Posts: 3

2006-12-20 11:11 PM jcjsc00
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 2, 2011
author : AMSSM
comments : 4
A doctor's take on how to safely transition to minimalist shoes and how to treat existing injuries

date : October 4, 2011
author : AMSSM
comments : 8
Sports medicine doc weighs in on the pros and cons of barefoot running
date : March 10, 2010
author : jgoss47
comments : 3
Recent college graduate struggling to lose the freshman 15 signs up for first triathlon.

date : January 23, 2007
author : KenMierke
comments : 5
A powerful attraction of the calories in/calories out paradigm is its apparent simplicity. Unfortunately, the human body isn’t so simple and that is why this seemingly wonderful formula doesn't work.
date : March 13, 2005
author : mikericci
comments : 2
Comparing Heart Rate Formulas: Age, Karvonen, Leger, MAF and Friel.

date : February 13, 2005
author : Glenn
comments : 0
Without a doubt, we begin to notice patterns in our training performances. We notice when our good and bad days repeat themselves in our logbook.
date : January 10, 2005
author : infosteward
'Open Water' is this triathlete’s nightmare because I have a fear of swimming in open water. Not because I can’t swim, but mostly because I can’t see what’s swimming with me in the water.

date : January 10, 2005
author : trithis
Club or group workouts are very motivating and soon you’ll start feeling like a triathlete, making you less likely to flake out.