BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN Mentor Group-"Off Season?" What is that?!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 383

2009-07-08 6:04 PM
in reply to: #2071255

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.
Subject: RE: SWBKRUN Mentor Group-Closed! KEEP ASKING QUESTIONS!!!
I used www.motionbased.com (free) which I think is turning into http://connect.garmin.com/ shortly (also free)... Both are pretty dang cool....

2009-07-08 6:23 PM

User image

Master
Small Town
800 Posts!!
2009-07-08 7:51 PM
in reply to: #2271447

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
Is that elevation directly from the garmin or from another program?  I have found the 305 to be off by more than a 1000 feet in one workout.  Something about the way it samples makes larger errors on a longer route.

Also, unfortunately had to bag my race today had some work pop up at the last minute that I couldn't get out of.

Next week will be in Omaha during the race so have to be 2 weeks before I get it in. 

Things have been hectic lately lots of work, training, TdF, etc.  How's everyone doing?
2009-07-08 9:14 PM

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

Any flatlanders do hill repeats as a weekly or bi-weekly bike workout?  If so, how do you approach them?  Seated, standing, mashing big gears, spinning smaller gears?  Hills are a weak point, so I am trying to focus on them at least once a week.

BTW - Steve, I can't comprehend 30k in elevation in a month...  That would be the 100' hill that is down the street what 300 times?

Edited by ashort33 2009-07-08 9:16 PM
2009-07-08 9:18 PM
in reply to: #2271419

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
swbkrun - 2009-07-08 6:04 PM I used www.motionbased.com (free) which I think is turning into http://connect.garmin.com/ shortly (also free)... Both are pretty dang cool....

It seems like you may have climbed Everest a little faster!  You are a mountaineer afterall.

I second using Motionbased. I think it does the best job of calculating elevation and total distance.   Of course, I also use TP and like it alot too.  Great graphs for tracking training zones. 

2009-07-08 9:25 PM
in reply to: #2271133

User image

Champion
DougRob - 2009-07-08 3:54 PM Suzy:

FWIW: There is a Woodcraft store in MAdison, WI: at 616 Westgate Mall, Madison, WI. 53711, (608) 273 - 8868.

Oh, could you stop by and pick some up on your way to my other house in Minocqua WI?   I actually went to the grocery store and bought locktite super glue.  It said it was ok to use on rubber.  Pumped my tires and then put some on the divet. I have a one hour ride tomorrowso I will be able to check it out.  If it fails, I have a new tire I can use.

Thanks a ton for your help.

2009-07-09 8:08 AM

User image

Elite
Raleigh
The 17.5 mile ride was great! It was a terrific route and I could maintain a high speed and cadance with much less energy. I deliberately sp[un in lower gears to get the feel of the new position. Cant wait to race it.

Tony: Sorry to hear about your race delay,but at least you met some of your goals...no crashes.

Doug
2009-07-09 9:02 AM

User image

Good luck to everyone racing this weekend...you guys have all put in some great workouts so go out there and have fun ripping up the course and showing your awesomeness.  Have a great time...then hurry home and post so we can all celebrate your successes!

BTW...I don't have any races anytime soon, so I am living through you guys and your races.  

2009-07-09 10:56 AM

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.
Wow--- Slowday on the BT front... Must be "working" this morning. 
2009-07-09 11:03 AM

User image

Champion
Hi All

Hope everyone is getting pysched for the upcoming weekend!

Linda--you have the BIG race coming up so I think we can live vicariously through your training.  Some of us are considering an IM in the future so keep good notes.

I did my last ride/run before my little Sprint on Saturday and I am happy to report that my tire held (thanks Doug!) and I graduated to aerobars on long stretches!!  The only issue is my low back is tight. Is that normal? what am I doing wrong?

The lake is a wreck today.  We are supposed to get big storms tonight so whitecaps are the order of the day.  I don't have a swim scheduled, but I thought I would go down and spend a few minutes practicing how to deal with it all.  A friend completed a triathlon in the same lake my HIM is taking place and said it was treacherous.  They were pulling people out of the water like crazy.  I don't want that to be me!

Suzy
2009-07-09 11:08 AM
in reply to: #2273058

User image

Champion
swbkrun - 2009-07-09 11:56 AM Wow--- Slowday on the BT front... Must be "working" this morning. 

yep, been really busy lately, today included, plus trying to watch TdF at work, lol.

2009-07-09 11:14 AM
in reply to: #2273092

User image

Elite
Raleigh
SSMinnow - 2009-07-09 11:03 AM Hi All

YES!

Linda--you have the BIG race coming up so I think we can live vicariously through your training.  Some of us are considering an IM in the future so keep good notes.

I did my last ride/run before my little Sprint on Saturday and I am happy to report that my tire held (thanks Doug!) and I graduated to aerobars on long stretches!!  The only issue is my low back is tight. Is that normal? what am I doing wrong?

You're welcome, glad it worked. You back hurts because you are extended more and are using your lower back muscles differently to support more of your upper boday weight. You might want to try moving your saddle forward a little to compensate.

The lake is a wreck today.  We are supposed to get big storms tonight so whitecaps are the order of the day.  I don't have a swim scheduled, but I thought I would go down and spend a few minutes practicing how to deal with it all.  A friend completed a triathlon in the same lake my HIM is taking place and said it was treacherous.  They were pulling people out of the water like crazy.  I don't want that to be me!

I envy your easy access to a lake. Be careful.
Suzy
2009-07-09 11:25 AM

User image

Expert
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Virginia
Hello group - Good luck to everyone racing this weekend.  I don't have anything until the end of the month. 

This week has been pretty hectic.  I'm nursing a sore hamstring (very annoying), trying to comprehend my new nutritional plan and plan/record my meals and get my fall marathon training plan all squared away.

Has anyone entered in their own custom plan into BT?  It looks like a tedious process.
2009-07-09 12:29 PM
in reply to: #2273058

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

swbkrun - 2009-07-09 10:56 AM Wow--- Slowday on the BT front... Must be "working" this morning. 

Have to churn out something every now and again or people get suspicious...

2009-07-09 1:01 PM

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
So the wife and kids are gone for 3 days. Whoot whoot!! Guess what I did with my 1st night of freedom.
If you guessed steam cleaned the carpets you are the big winner!!!
Yep that's me. We went to the rodeo in the afternoon, I dumped the wife off, and then drove to the local HD and rented the cleaner.
Today is hopefully going to be the workout day. Went to gym at lunch. Depending on weather I am either going to go for a run then off to softball. Or, run then for a swim. We've had tonnes of rain lately. And not light rain, like downpour hail rain!! Yes I am made of sugar, it would melt me.
2009-07-09 1:06 PM
in reply to: #2273164

User image

Champion
sdalessio - 2009-07-09 11:25 AM Hello group - Good luck to everyone racing this weekend.  I don't have anything until the end of the month. 

This week has been pretty hectic.  I'm nursing a sore hamstring (very annoying), trying to comprehend my new nutritional plan and plan/record my meals and get my fall marathon training plan all squared away.

Has anyone entered in their own custom plan into BT?  It looks like a tedious process.

Hi Sam-You sound like a busy bee.  How did you hurt your hamstring?  are you stretching it? icing it?  I was meaning to ask you about your nutrional plan.  It looks like you are working with Marni? how do you like it?  As I build my distances, I am starting to think more about an even better nutritional plan to give me an edge and keep me healthy. 

I had a blast swimming in the lake today. Practicing swimming in whitecaps isn't so bad when you know you are about 75 feet from shore!

2009-07-09 1:14 PM
in reply to: #2273092

User image

Elite
san francisco

SSMinnow - 2009-07-09 9:03 AM Hi All

Suzy

Wow, Suzy, please be careful out there!  The lower back tightness seemed to go away as I/or my body, got used to the aero position.  I find that if I stretch out a little bit every 15 miles or so...stand up and arch my back for 10-20 sec, it seems to help.  Now, I only get that tightness close to 40 miles...I suppose if I did longer rides, it would stay away longer? 

Sam, importing your own plan into BT is super tedious.  I have been doing the silver HIM plan and initially had wanted to juggle the workouts to match my schedule, but it took so long that I just gave up on that.  Instead I still use that as a general schedule and log my workouts as I do them.  There might be an easy way to do it, but I posted the question in the training thread and Ron showed me how to switch things around...it was a pain so I stopped after week 2.

I blew off a 40 min run this morning because...well...because I felt like taking the dog to the beach instead.  And didn't feel like going after we got back.   I am trying to decide whether to do it after work or just skip it.  Oddly, I don't feel too bad about missing it. 

2009-07-09 1:15 PM
in reply to: #2273521

User image

Elite
Raleigh
TrevorC - 2009-07-09 1:01 PM So the wife and kids are gone for 3 days. Whoot whoot!! Guess what I did with my 1st night of freedom.
Yep that's me. We went to the rodeo in the afternoon, I dumped the wife off, and then drove to the local HD and rented the cleaner.
Today is hopefully going to be the workout day. Went to gym at lunch. Depending on weather I am either going to go for a run then off to softball. Or, run then for a swim. We've had tonnes of rain lately. And not light rain, like downpour hail rain!! Yes I am made of sugar, it would melt me.

Trevor:

I hope you rented the steam cleaner with the aerobars and the hydration system.

Doug
2009-07-09 1:34 PM
in reply to: #2273583

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
DougRob - 2009-07-09 12:15 PM
TrevorC - 2009-07-09 1:01 PM So the wife and kids are gone for 3 days. Whoot whoot!! Guess what I did with my 1st night of freedom.

Trevor:

I hope you rented the steam cleaner with the aerobars and the hydration system.

Doug
It was already rented, so I just had to use the old school one.
2009-07-09 1:39 PM
in reply to: #2273579

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
kt65 - 2009-07-09 12:14 PM

SSMinnow - 2009-07-09 9:03 AM Hi All

Suzy

Wow, Suzy, please be careful out there!  The lower back tightness seemed to go away as I/or my body, got used to the aero position.  I find that if I stretch out a little bit every 15 miles or so...stand up and arch my back for 10-20 sec, it seems to help.  Now, I only get that tightness close to 40 miles...I suppose if I did longer rides, it would stay away longer? 

Sam, importing your own plan into BT is super tedious.  I have been doing the silver HIM plan and initially had wanted to juggle the workouts to match my schedule, but it took so long that I just gave up on that.  Instead I still use that as a general schedule and log my workouts as I do them.  There might be an easy way to do it, but I posted the question in the training thread and Ron showed me how to switch things around...it was a pain so I stopped after week 2.

I blew off a 40 min run this morning because...well...because I felt like taking the dog to the beach instead.  And didn't feel like going after we got back.   I am trying to decide whether to do it after work or just skip it.  Oddly, I don't feel too bad about missing it. 

Let the taper begin today!!! 
Well it's 60 degrees in San Fran right now. That to me would be great weather to take said dog for a run in???

2009-07-09 2:54 PM
in reply to: #2273538

User image

Expert
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Virginia
SSMinnow - 2009-07-09 1:06 PM
sdalessio - 2009-07-09 11:25 AM Hello group - Good luck to everyone racing this weekend.  I don't have anything until the end of the month. 

Hi Sam-You sound like a busy bee.  How did you hurt your hamstring?  are you stretching it? icing it?  I was meaning to ask you about your nutrional plan.  It looks like you are working with Marni? how do you like it?  As I build my distances, I am starting to think more about an even better nutritional plan to give me an edge and keep me healthy. 

I had a blast swimming in the lake today. Practicing swimming in whitecaps isn't so bad when you know you are about 75 feet from shore!

I did it at a strength and conditioning class w/ all of these squats and kicks.  UGH!!!  Those classes always kick my butt.  I've done some stretching and easy running b/c that seems to loosen it up.  Also an icy hot patch if I happen to remember when I walk by the box and some child isn't yelling at me for a drink, snack, etc..  I think by tomorrow it will be better.

I am working w/ Marni and it's going pretty good - it's been about a week.  But just like all training, it's work.  I was basically happy w/ what I was eating just not when and what proportion of carbs/fat/protein I was eating.  She is also helping me w/ workout nutrition and hopefully raceday nutrition when it gets a little closer.

2009-07-09 4:11 PM

User image

Elite
san francisco

I just downloaded motionbased and uploaded my activities for the past 3 months!  omg, I think I climbed 2 mount everests!  66,000 ft of elevation.  It does seem quite overstated, for instance my lake run, which feels mostly flat to me, shows 2200 feet of elevation.  Crazy! 

2009-07-09 7:13 PM
in reply to: #2273992

User image

Champion
sdalessio - 2009-07-09 2:54 PM
SSMinnow - 2009-07-09 1:06 PM

I did it at a strength and conditioning class w/ all of these squats and kicks.  UGH!!!  Those classes always kick my butt.  I've done some stretching and easy running b/c that seems to loosen it up.  Also an icy hot patch if I happen to remember when I walk by the box and some child isn't yelling at me for a drink, snack, etc..  I think by tomorrow it will be better.

I am working w/ Marni and it's going pretty good - it's been about a week.  But just like all training, it's work.  I was basically happy w/ what I was eating just not when and what proportion of carbs/fat/protein I was eating.  She is also helping me w/ workout nutrition and hopefully raceday nutrition when it gets a little closer.

Sam--I agree the combining foods is a pain.  I bought an online book yesterday in hopes of getting my sports nutrition more in line.  I sent it to Tony via email in the event any of it is interesting to you.  Again, complex, but has some good stuff in it, especially for HIM and beyond.

Kim--OMG, you missed a run?  You may as well postpone your HIM until next year.
Just Kidding  Just keep the intensity up on those key workouts and don't worry about the rest.

Trevor--I thought you traded us in for a new group. Pull your weight on the post totals, huh?

Tomorrow is a rest day for me and I have to admit I don't like it at all. I'm bored just thinking about it.Pouty

2009-07-09 8:38 PM

User image

Elite
Raleigh
So there is a lot of grumbling about the parking situation at Sunday's Triangle Tri. The race is at a new location. and the route is terrific, but parking is very limited. There will NOT be room for 1100 participants to park. We received warnings today. I am carpooling with a volunteer who is guaranteed a place to park, but others are really bummed. I think that they will fix the problem next time by creating trmote parking. However people are disappointed their loved ones can't be there.

ANyone else experience anything like this?
2009-07-09 9:07 PM
in reply to: #2274859

User image

Champion
aah, ok we were out buying stuff at REI, your e-mail didn't make sense to me until I just read this post.

Do you know how to use FTP?  I have a server you can put it on and I can give you an account if you want.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN Mentor Group-"Off Season?" What is that?!! Rss Feed  

of 383