BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN Mentor Group-"Off Season?" What is that?!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 383

2009-07-11 9:21 PM
in reply to: #2278220

User image

Champion
marietta
Subject: RE: SWBKRUN Mentor Group-Closed! KEEP ASKING QUESTIONS!!!
Plainsman AU - 2009-07-11 1:30 PM I had typed about 4 paragraphs and my comp. locked up, so this will be short.  I hate it when it does that.

I had a great run this morning with a local group that maps out a run every Saturday.  They had a 12 miler laid out this morning with 3 rest stops ... stocked with gatorade and carbs.  About half the group made it a 6 miler and I hung with the long group.  Brought up the back of the pack with another, but she helped me push my 11 to 12 minute pace to a 10 to 10.5 which was good.  I really enjoyed this and the group will be good motivation for the long run.

I hope everyone has a good rest of the weekend!

that's always good motivation.  you are going to crush augusta! 

2009-07-11 9:24 PM
in reply to: #2278328

User image

Champion
marietta
SSMinnow - 2009-07-11 3:51 PM

I'm back!!!

#2 AG and #8 female! 

25mph winds with gusts to who knows made for an interesting day.  The lake was so choppy you could barely see the buoys, but I never paniced. The ride was my best event, even though I was one hand aero and the other on the hoods. The cross country run--well what can I say? I hated it, but dealt with it!

I improved my time from last year by over 4minutes so I guess I am happy with the outcome!  

Off to a party to celebrate summer!

Suzy

AWESOME SUZY!!!!!
2009-07-11 9:26 PM
in reply to: #2071255

User image

Champion
marietta

2120.  how about you!!!
2009-07-11 9:59 PM
in reply to: #2278693

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
fattyfatfat - 2009-07-11 9:26 PM

2120.  how about you!!!

HUH? I can outfont you!
2009-07-11 11:02 PM

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

SSMinnow - 2009-07-11 3:51 PM

I'm back!!!

#2 AG and #8 female! 

25mph winds with gusts to who knows made for an interesting day.  The lake was so choppy you could barely see the buoys, but I never paniced. The ride was my best event, even though I was one hand aero and the other on the hoods. The cross country run--well what can I say? I hated it, but dealt with it!

I improved my time from last year by over 4minutes so I guess I am happy with the outcome!  

Suzy

Way to go!  More hardware for you and you bettered last year's time.   Enjoy the party - you deserve it!

2009-07-11 11:06 PM

User image

Elite
san francisco

fattyfatfat - 2009-07-11 7:26 PM

2120.  how about you!!!

OMG JOHN, you just about scared me to death.  I logged on just to see what was up.  I don't have to go to bed early...I don't have a long run tomorrow morning and I feel a bit lost.  Is that normal?  I will start visualizing my race and now I really wish I had driven up to ride the bike course ahead of time.  Do you guys think I should drive the course the day before?  

2009-07-12 3:59 AM

User image

Elite
Raleigh
fattyfatfat - 2009-07-11 9:26 PM

2120.  how about you!!!

I have no idea what this means. Well. I am packed and ready to roll. Off to tri #3 and my first OWS race. See you in a few hours.

Doug
2009-07-12 5:41 AM
in reply to: #2278776

User image

Champion
kt65 - 2009-07-11 11:06 PM

2120.  how about you!!!

OMG JOHN, you just about scared me to death.  I logged on just to see what was up.  I don't have to go to bed early...I don't have a long run tomorrow morning and I feel a bit lost.  Is that normal?  I will start visualizing my race and now I really wish I had driven up to ride the bike course ahead of time.  Do you guys think I should drive the course the day before?  

First, I have no idea what John is talking about again!  Kim, if you have the time, I think driving the bike course is really important to get an understanding of where the big push points are located.  I did that for my last Olympic because I had heard horror stories about the hills.  It didn't make the riding any easier, but at least I knew what was coming.  I always tried to do that for marathons as well.  I am going to the site of my HIM in a couple of weeks, hooking up with Steve and doing the swim and bike course to familiarize myself with it before September.  You have done a lot of hill training so I certainly wouldn't freak out.  Just knowing what is coming will give you peace of mind.

Rob, sending good Karma your way.   You have done the training, now bring home the bacon!

The bad news is today is my last day up north. Boo-Hoo.  The good news is I am coming back on Thursday for a long weekend!! I need to get in a short ride and swim before we leave Paradise this morning.

Have a good day all,
Suzy

Edited by SSMinnow 2009-07-12 5:51 AM
2009-07-12 7:24 AM

User image

SSMinnow - 2009-07-11 4:51 PM

I'm back!!!

#2 AG and #8 female! 

Suzy

WAY TO GO SUZY!  Hardware is nice, but a 4 min PR...WOW!  Your hard work is really paying off.  
A celebration is definitely in order.  Have fun.
2009-07-12 7:36 AM

User image

kt65 - 2009-07-12 12:06 AM

Kim, definitely drive the courses (bike and run - if possible).  You can read all the previous years race reports, and the course descriptions, but nothing will help you like seeing it for yourself.  Last year for my first HIM I only checked out 1/2 of the bike course and none of the run course.  For most of the bike and first half of the run (it was a two loop course) I was too focused & worried about what was coming up next.  I learned my lesson!  If you have the chance definitely check out the course...then go out there and have a great time in your race. 

Edited by Havin'Fun 2009-07-12 7:50 AM
2009-07-12 8:47 AM

User image

Champion
marietta
kt65 - 2009-07-11 11:06 PM

2120.  how about you!!!

So the nerves have shown up.  I'm impressed they waited this long to appear. I had the exact same feelings about not having long workouts, long before a week out.. just ask the North Carolina Girls and Steve lol!  You are going to do great.  Your hard work is done and in the bank. Kim you are gonna rock!

Remember that the taper is a major part of this journey. The most important thing do this week is stay positive.  If you start thinking about not having enough saddle time in, try channel those thoughts to a great ride you had.  And try to use this time to get lots of rest.  Easier said than done right.  But give it your best shot.

As far as driving the coure, I think Linda nailed it.  I drove the bike course at Buffalo and was very happy I did.  All the horror stories from talking to people and reading about it were now there in front of me.  It was a huge help both mentally pre-race and for the race. 

Kimberly Tom, Vineman Ironman 70.3 Bib # 2120.   man oh man that makes me smile!!!!!!  Just wait until you open your packet and lay your eyes on that bib for the first time. gulp!

This is going to be an incredible week Kim.  Enjoy every second of it.  We'll talk more in a bit. 

Edited by fattyfatfat 2009-07-12 8:56 AM

2009-07-12 12:47 PM

User image

Elite
Raleigh
I'm home again. RR will ne a while as there were no times available when I left the park. They promise to have them on-line by 9 PM.  It was fun driving to the site as I began to notice that almost all the cars going my way had bike on them and they were headed to the same race. There were 1,100 racers.

Tracy and her husband Doug were in my rack. Twilight zone moment: I say hi to Tracy and she starts to introduce me to Doug. Turns out he and I know each other. We play hockey together in downtown Raleigh. It is a small world. After the race I ran into a guy I played against in a hockey tournament in Las Vegas in March. He was wearing a t-shirt from the tournament that I wear all the time.

Anyway, back to the race. First a VERY IMPORTANT piece of advice: When you pack your running shoes make sure you have a right AND a LEFT shoe! I packed two rights from two different but identical sets of shoes. D'oh! Luckily I wore an old set of NB shoes. I ran in them, but it sucked! They're too big and came untied. They are also worn out. Luckily most of the course was off-road.

The swim was odd. For the first 100-150 yds. I was feeling lousy and questioning why I was doing this. Then I got my rhythm and all was good. Finish middle of my wave. The bike was terrific Felt good the whole time. The run was the pits with crappy shoes and first time off-road, finished but it did not feel great. That's all I have for now.
2009-07-12 1:17 PM

User image

Elite
Raleigh
Tracy's husband Doug took the following photo of the SWBKRUN MG members at the Triangle Triathlon. Me and Tracy after the race:

Triangle Triathlon
2009-07-12 1:28 PM
in reply to: #2279247

User image

Champion
DougRob - 2009-07-12 1:17 PM Tracy's husband Doug took the following photo of the SWBKRUN MG members at the Triangle Triathlon. Me and Tracy after the race:

Triangle Triathlon

First, Congratulations Tracy and Doug!!  Second, I am totally jealous that our MG group members get to meet and I am not there!  Third, we want details from both of you.  Fourth, for what it is worth, I hate cross country runs!!
2009-07-12 2:16 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
SSMinnow - 2009-07-11 4:51 PM

I'm back!!!

#2 AG and #8 female! 

Suzy

nice job!  4 min is a ton of improvement.  I can't remember but is this like your 3rd podium in 4 races??  hmm... to make the next race more challenging try doing it on one leg.
2009-07-12 3:35 PM

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
Congrats Suzy..You own that podium.

Doug & Tracy -looks like you guys had a good time. Nice to put some faces to names isnt it? I was trying to figure out if it was before or after. Doug has his quick release on with no Garmin(which would be before), but Tracy has bother her watches on and drinking a coke(after)????? And how come you got you quads marked? I wish a cute marker would do mine.Cool

Kim- 2120. Will be watching for you to rock Vineman!!! Now relax.

Edited by TrevorC 2009-07-12 3:38 PM

2009-07-12 3:52 PM

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario

I went out for my long ride today and about 20K in I blew out the back tire. I was beating down the road on a small downhill not watching the road all that carefully and before I knew it I ran across where some dumb @$$ had broken several beer bottles. I heard the pop and that was it. I had a spare tube with me but the tire was shot. Big rip/slash in it. Thankfully a nice lady in a van stopped and gave me a lift back to town. LBS not open today so have to wait until tomroow to get a new tire.  Kinda pissed me off cause I was having fun. It was a great day about 17/18 degrees C and only a light breeze.

2009-07-12 4:08 PM

User image

Master
Silverton, Oregon
I finished the Missoula Marathon in 5:30ish. Had fun and took it easy, but doing one you're actually trained for is definitely a better time On my way back to kalispell now, then heading to Pasco tomorrow. Hope everyone had a great weekend!
2009-07-12 4:25 PM
in reply to: #2279218

User image

DougRob - 2009-07-12 1:47 PM I'm home again. RR will ne a while as there were no times available when I left the park. They promise to have them on-line by 9 PM.  It was fun driving to the site as I began to notice that almost all the cars going my way had bike on them and they were headed to the same race. There were 1,100 racers.

Tracy and her husband Doug were in my rack. Twilight zone moment: I say hi to Tracy and she starts to introduce me to Doug. Turns out he and I know each other. We play hockey together in downtown Raleigh. It is a small world. After the race I ran into a guy I played against in a hockey tournament in Las Vegas in March. He was wearing a t-shirt from the tournament that I wear all the time.

Anyway, back to the race. First a VERY IMPORTANT piece of advice: When you pack your running shoes make sure you have a right AND a LEFT shoe! I packed two rights from two different but identical sets of shoes. D'oh! Luckily I wore an old set of NB shoes. I ran in them, but it sucked! They're too big and came untied. They are also worn out. Luckily most of the course was off-road.

The swim was odd. For the first 100-150 yds. I was feeling lousy and questioning why I was doing this. Then I got my rhythm and all was good. Finish middle of my wave. The bike was terrific Felt good the whole time. The run was the pits with crappy shoes and first time off-road, finished but it did not feel great. That's all I have for now.

Doug, I am sorry you had the shoe incident, but I am LMAO.  Here's the story.....When my husband and I started dating we would run together.  I told him I would run with him any where and any distance, but I would never race.  So one of the first races we travled to was Catalina Island.  We planned a nice weekend out of it.  Got there Friday evening and had a nice evening.  Saturday am got up and as he was getting ready for his race he realized he had done just what you did...he had brought two left shoes.  So, making the best out of a nice weekend we found a lovely little cafe and drank Bloody Mary's...while watching the start and finish of his race.  Of course he had a hard time living the story down.....it even somehow managed to get mentioned at one of the toasts at our wedding.   

I know you were disappointed...but at least you were able to run.  And, although I am sure you were wicked fast today I am sure you will PR Triangle next year.  
2009-07-12 4:29 PM
in reply to: #2279445

User image

roni_runnw - 2009-07-12 5:08 PM I finished the Missoula Marathon in 5:30ish. Had fun and took it easy, but doing one you're actually trained for is definitely a better time On my way back to kalispell now, then heading to Pasco tomorrow. Hope everyone had a great weekend!

Nice job Roni....taking a marathon easy in 5:30ish is awesome.  Glad you had fun!
2009-07-12 4:41 PM
in reply to: #2279464

User image

Champion
marietta
Havin'Fun - 2009-07-12 4:25 PM

Doug, I am sorry you had the shoe incident, but I am LMAO.  Here's the story.....When my husband and I started dating we would run together.  I told him I would run with him any where and any distance, but I would never race.  So one of the first races we travled to was Catalina Island.  We planned a nice weekend out of it.  Got there Friday evening and had a nice evening.  Saturday am got up and as he was getting ready for his race he realized he had done just what you did...he had brought two left shoes.  So, making the best out of a nice weekend we found a lovely little cafe and drank Bloody Mary's...while watching the start and finish of his race.  Of course he had a hard time living the story down.....it even somehow managed to get mentioned at one of the toasts at our wedding.   

i'm missing something.  what is wrong with that?

2009-07-12 4:55 PM

User image

Champion
marietta
AWESOME JOB TRACY, DOUG AND RONI! 

Rob.  Sucks about the tire man.  I hate all kinds of litter but glass really is bad.  I'll always pick up glass because I'm scared a dog might step on it. 

Hey, Holly sent me an inspire!  Hope she come's back here too.... Holly!!!

I mentioned in my log but forgot to put up here.  I volunteered yesterday at a kids tri.  Now I coach my sons t-ball so I know parents can get a little out of control.  But this was unreal.  I was assigned to transition.  Helping the kids get their shoes and helmets on and bikes off the rack.  Clearing transition before the race was a joke. We had parents yelling at us that they had to be in there.  During the race parents yelling at their children "you aren't going to win a thing if your transition is that slow"  "Hurry the heck up, you are way to slow" , and on and on. 

I had to leave right after the race but I received a few phone calls a few hours later.  Apparently the awards ceremony was a cluster.  The RD was in tears, parents yelling AND swearing at her and each other.   Funny thing was I thought it went great and so did many other parents. 

Dissapointing to say the least.
2009-07-12 5:28 PM

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario

Roni. Very nice run. I don't know if I am going to do a marathon any time soon. You are impressive.

John. way to go with helping out wiht a tri. I think you must have picked the hardest one to work through. I used to coach hockey to and gave it up because of the parents.

2009-07-12 6:46 PM
in reply to: #2279550

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
Congrats to you guys racing this weekend.

John, that is one thing I am dreading when my son gets older.  I can't stand seeing parents act like that.
2009-07-12 7:41 PM

User image

Elite
san francisco

Thanks Suzy, Linda and John for the advice about the course.  Based upon your recommendations, I am definitely going to drive the bike course the day before the race.  It will give me something to do after packet pick up...maybe I won't obsess during that period of time.  I'll see if I can maybe take a look at the run course while I'm at it.  

Trevor-- you are so observant about Doug and Tracy's watch(es)/band...I was giggling out loud and had to go back and look.  

Rob, sorry about your blown tire, sounds like you stayed upright though, thank goodness.  Good to hear you were having a good time. 

Hope everyone is having a good weekend!  I went to watch some boat races today since I pretty much had the whole day free!!!

Tapering does have it's positives!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN Mentor Group-"Off Season?" What is that?!! Rss Feed  

of 383