of 171

2011-03-29 11:22 AM
in reply to: #3419780

User image

Elite
Raleigh
Subject: RE: swbkrun with us!!! - Closed
fattyfatfat - 2011-03-29 12:15 PM

anyways, my point in all this is sometimes its good to have a reminder that perhaps pace drives some of these hurdles more than anything else. so maybe you just need to slow down to go faster. 

I have similar thoughts in a different context: the water. I have upped the early season swimming a lot and have seen results, but I still was not getting near 1:20 (my not-so-secret goal.) When my coach watched me swim all out, he noted a lot of wasted energy and bad form. So I am trying to use my brains to stay smooth and long and thereby convince myself that I will be faster in the long run. It is a hard mental hurdle to make.

Doug

Edited by DougRob 2011-03-29 11:22 AM

2011-03-29 1:07 PM
in reply to: #3419679

User image

Master
Horseheads, NY

velcromom - 2011-03-29 11:35 AM I'm here!  Still had my pepsi, but switched up the poptart for a powerbar.  I'm trying guys!  Heading out into the SUN for 5-6 mile run.  Have a meeting at noon with Active.com...they're video/interviewing me about my training/racing experiences.  How cool is that??   And giving me $200.00 - so it's a job!

A professional...sweet!!  Tell us where we can see this interview.

Have fun!

2011-03-29 1:10 PM
in reply to: #3256813

User image

Master
Horseheads, NY

Planned to swim today at lunch but when I got there the water was 89.5º!!!! Way too hot to swim. Swam 5 x 100, and gave up. Headed out to the treadmill.

Apparently the computer controlling pool temp was not working which caused it to heat up. Normally temp is about 84 and while it is on the warm side, I never had a problem swimming in that.  The pool today actually felt warmer than my shower this morning...blech.

G

2011-03-29 1:20 PM
in reply to: #3419679

User image

Expert
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Virginia

velcromom - 2011-03-29 10:35 AM I'm here!  Still had my pepsi, but switched up the poptart for a powerbar.  I'm trying guys!  Heading out into the SUN for 5-6 mile run.  Have a meeting at noon with Active.com...they're video/interviewing me about my training/racing experiences.  How cool is that??   And giving me $200.00 - so it's a job!

Very cool!  that should be fun and can't wait to hear about it. 

BTW - are you going to give them the breakfast of champions tip?  Pepsi & a pop tart.  Tongue out  Sorry I couldn't resist. 

2011-03-29 1:52 PM
in reply to: #3419550

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
dalessit - 2011-03-29 9:46 AM

I'm here also, my headache is finally going away.  Funny my mind isn't craving coffee, but my body seems to be. 

Suzy any breakfast and snack ideas on this cleanse?  Really missing my oatmeal and clif bars. 

For Rev3 we are getting a house so maybe if dinner out doesn't work we can make something there. 

Also for anyone interested in mental prep I found this site.

?http://www.marvinz.com/sportperformance/articles.html

He writes for pezcyclingnews a cycling website.  He writes a mental prep. article there and his site has links to all the articles.  LOL, I keep reading stuff like this because my mind agrees with my body too often when I start to suffer I shut it down real quick, so looking for ways to help my mind cope a bit longer before giving in.

While it's not on the list, steel cut oats are ok.  Of course, no sugar--so you would need to rely on fruit for sweetness.  My go to was the Food for Life English Muffins with a little ghee.  You could use a nut butter if you're into them....I also did smoothies post first workout with the basis being coconut milk.  Quite yummy!

Before you offer up the house, talk to Sam.  That's work for you two any way you slice it.

In a way, I agree with John's comment.  I rarely look at pace and really focus on RPE and pushing myself beyond what I think is possible. If I look at pace and see a slower than expected number, I cave.  You can only do as much as your body will allow you to do at that point in your training.  The key is to be willing to reach for it...no matter what.

2011-03-29 2:11 PM
in reply to: #3420105

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
SSMinnow - 2011-03-29 2:52 PM

I'm here also, my headache is finally going away.  Funny my mind isn't craving coffee, but my body seems to be. 

Suzy any breakfast and snack ideas on this cleanse?  Really missing my oatmeal and clif bars. 

For Rev3 we are getting a house so maybe if dinner out doesn't work we can make something there. 

He writes for pezcyclingnews a cycling website.  He writes a mental prep. article there and his site has links to all the articles.  LOL, I keep reading stuff like this because my mind agrees with my body too often when I start to suffer I shut it down real quick, so looking for ways to help my mind cope a bit longer before giving in.

While it's not on the list, steel cut oats are ok.  Of course, no sugar--so you would need to rely on fruit for sweetness.  My go to was the Food for Life English Muffins with a little ghee.  You could use a nut butter if you're into them....I also did smoothies post first workout with the basis being coconut milk.  Quite yummy!

Before you offer up the house, talk to Sam.  That's work for you two any way you slice it.

In a way, I agree with John's comment.  I rarely look at pace and really focus on RPE and pushing myself beyond what I think is possible. If I look at pace and see a slower than expected number, I cave.  You can only do as much as your body will allow you to do at that point in your training.  The key is to be willing to reach for it...no matter what.

That's sort of the trick.  Our bodies have a serious self preservation mechanisim and shut down way before we get to the point of damaging ourselves.  What I am looking to do is to push that point just a bit, when my body starts the conversation with my mind that I'm hurting, my mind doesn't last too long and says sure we're done.  Trying to get my mind to hold out a bit longer.

It's becoming more evident for me the more I get into road cycling how weak my mind vs. body argument is.  In RR You don't race at your own pace, you race at the peloton or groups pace.  I need to be able to talk my legs into suffering just a bit more to finish the climb with the group.  If you don't it's more work as you end up riding in the wind by yourself the rest of the ride.   I find myself quitting to early too often.

2011-03-29 3:44 PM
in reply to: #3420142

User image

Champion
marietta
dalessit - 2011-03-29 3:11 PM

That's sort of the trick.  Our bodies have a serious self preservation mechanisim and shut down way before we get to the point of damaging ourselves.  What I am looking to do is to push that point just a bit, when my body starts the conversation with my mind that I'm hurting, my mind doesn't last too long and says sure we're done.  Trying to get my mind to hold out a bit longer.

It's becoming more evident for me the more I get into road cycling how weak my mind vs. body argument is.  In RR You don't race at your own pace, you race at the peloton or groups pace.  I need to be able to talk my legs into suffering just a bit more to finish the climb with the group.  If you don't it's more work as you end up riding in the wind by yourself the rest of the ride.   I find myself quitting to early too often.

when is your first road race?

2011-03-29 3:53 PM

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada

Doesn't this whole conversation about pace vs body expectations get throw out the window though as the distances grow?

I know I haven't really gotten anywhere close to where John is now at and where Suzy has been with the distances... but when the distance/volume get so LARGE/LONG , isn't that now when it becomes about pace, and not how good you are presently feeling?

2011-03-29 4:13 PM
in reply to: #3420386

User image

Master
Almaden Valley, San Jose, California
^^^   THAT.
2011-03-29 4:20 PM

User image

Master
Almaden Valley, San Jose, California

Had my interview....it was with a market research firm hired through Active.com.  It was fun - they wanted to see my bike, medals, photos, equipment, nutrition.  They did shoot all over the house, so I was really glad I had picked up this morning before my run - our 'wall of fame' is right outside of the (very full) laundry room!!

They wanted to hear what I thought about all sorts of training/racing food on the market now, and my thoughts on some potential new stuff.  I was honest about the pepsi......may not have dwelled too long on the poptart issue.  Wink

Won't be televised anywhere, but it was fun.  AND...they paid me $200 for 1.5 hours!   All I need to do now is sign up for 10-15 of these a week.  They WANT to hear about training/racing and they pay me.  Win/win.

Off to a HS swim meet.....not getting paid for this.  Undecided

2011-03-29 4:26 PM
in reply to: #3420440

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lamar
velcromom - 2011-03-29 3:20 PM

Had my interview....it was with a market research firm hired through Active.com.  It was fun - they wanted to see my bike, medals, photos, equipment, nutrition.  They did shoot all over the house, so I was really glad I had picked up this morning before my run - our 'wall of fame' is right outside of the (very full) laundry room!!

They wanted to hear what I thought about all sorts of training/racing food on the market now, and my thoughts on some potential new stuff.  I was honest about the pepsi......may not have dwelled too long on the poptart issue.  Wink

Won't be televised anywhere, but it was fun.  AND...they paid me $200 for 1.5 hours!   All I need to do now is sign up for 10-15 of these a week.  They WANT to hear about training/racing and they pay me.  Win/win.

Wow Easy money and that doesn't happen to often Glad you had fun and enjy the Meet

2011-03-29 4:49 PM
in reply to: #3420440

User image

Master
velcromom - 2011-03-29 2:20 PM

And to think I can say I knew you when...

George: Good call on the pool, although maybe a bit wussy. Had you toughed it out you might have been able to experience joys like throwing up in your mouth!! Ha!! I loathe warm pools!!

2011-03-29 6:24 PM
in reply to: #3420367

User image

Champion
fattyfatfat - 2011-03-29 4:44 PM
dalessit - 2011-03-29 3:11 PM

when is your first road race?

LOL, by now I was supposed to have 2 done with one this weekend but 1 was cancelled and the other 2 were moved, so now my first race is now 4/17, the day after my first tri of the year, an Oly.

2011-03-29 8:48 PM
in reply to: #3420386

User image

Champion
TrevorC - 2011-03-29 3:53 PM

Doesn't this whole conversation about pace vs body expectations get throw out the window though as the distances grow?

I know I haven't really gotten anywhere close to where John is now at and where Suzy has been with the distances... but when the distance/volume get so LARGE/LONG , isn't that now when it becomes about pace, and not how good you are presently feeling?

Interesting question.  My initial reaction was no, but stepping back I would say it varies by discipline. 

For biking, I managed to Watts because I really had no idea how I should be feeling or how hard I could push.  If I didn't have a PT, I would use HR, not MPH as my measurement tool.  In training we know about what we can hold for 112m and I aimed for it.   I absolutely had to have some assessment of how I felt during the entire ride.  If my gut was acting up, I would have backed off the Watts.  I would never have tried to exceed them because I felt I would suffer greatly on the run if I did.  Newbie tactic maybe.

For running, I would not look at pace. I knew the run would be incredibly difficult and I had prepared myself for that pain from the very first step.   I used RPE (= alot of pain) with an occasional glance at HR to make sure I was really in the zone I thought I was (Z2) so that I didn't blow up.  By the time I had been out there for 9+ hours, it was what I could process easily.  Trying to manage to pace at that point would have taken way too much mental energy.

In reality, I think it is up to you what strategy works best.  Maybe you are able to motivate yourself by setting a pace and hitting it, but at the IM distance I would have found that very difficult, especially as a first timer. 

PS.  I am still in the learning stages of how the above applies to a HIM.  I think following a similar bike plan (set the Watts and live by them is right) makes sense.  So far my HIM runs have been less than stellar so I have more work to do here.

2011-03-29 9:26 PM
in reply to: #3420427

User image

Champion
marietta

velcromom - 2011-03-29 5:13 PM ^^^   THAT.

yep.

2011-03-29 10:19 PM
in reply to: #3420006

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lamar
gdale - 2011-03-29 12:10 PM

Planned to swim today at lunch but when I got there the water was 89.5º!!!! Way too hot to swim. Swam 5 x 100, and gave up. Headed out to the treadmill.

Apparently the computer controlling pool temp was not working which caused it to heat up. Normally temp is about 84 and while it is on the warm side, I never had a problem swimming in that.  The pool today actually felt warmer than my shower this morning...blech.

G

if you think that is hot you ought to try swimming where I do it usually runs from 90 to 94 degrees. I didn't know you could actually sweat in water. Don't have a choice since it is the only indoor pool within 50miles of me.

2011-03-30 6:10 AM

User image

Champion

Hey!  Could it be mid week already?  Must mean it's a time to tell us your weekend RACE plans!  So?

We've been talking a lot about eating healthy and Spring re-sets....is there anything you'd like to change about your eating strategy? what? doing anything about it???

Edited by SSMinnow 2011-03-30 6:15 AM
2011-03-30 6:37 AM
in reply to: #3420985

User image

Champion
marietta
good luck racing peeps!   nada here.

2011-03-30 6:48 AM

User image

Master
Maryland
I am racing a 5 mile road race Sunday. One thing about my diet that I am working on changing is unexpected sugar intake. Many "healthy" products like yougurt and cereal contain too much sugar.  I am reading labels more.
2011-03-30 7:27 AM

User image

Expert
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Virginia
SSMinnow - 2011-03-30 6:10 AM

Hey!  Could it be mid week already?  Must mean it's a time to tell us your weekend RACE plans!  So?

We've been talking a lot about eating healthy and Spring re-sets....is there anything you'd like to change about your eating strategy? what? doing anything about it???

Me I think!  There is a local 5k series that runs every Friday through April over the same course.  So as long as there is not snow or a cold miserable rain falling I plan on showing up.  I hope to gauge my progress over the race series or at least compare notes from week to week.  See what went well and why.

As far as nutrition, yes I am doing a spring detox at least my own version of it.  This morning is the first time my head is not pounding w/o the use of Tylenol or Aleve or both!!!  I have some energy and my stomach is a little happier.  I am very glad I did this for several reasons. 

At first I started the program b/c I was unhappy w/ the amount of sugar I was adding to my diet in little bits here and there.  Plus I was drinking too much coffee (reg and decaf) and that was upsetting my stomach.  So I wanted something drastic to break me and then put my diet back together.

Plus I love FOOD.  I live to eat and love to cook.  So experimenting with changing my diet around gets me to try new foods and fix different meals.  It's fun.  As an added bonus, this was perfect timing.  I just came off my big race of the year and am getting ready to jump back into tri season.  My goals for my tri season are to have fun, do lots of little short distance races and go fast!

2011-03-30 7:52 AM

User image

Master
SSMinnow - 2011-03-30 4:10 AM

No racing. I'd like my husband to eat more vegetables. So I keep trying to prepare them in palatable ways. And then I eat lots of leftover veggies. I'm also at a time of year when family dinners are impossible (Thing 1 home from baseball after Thing 2's bedtime, and we can't eat dinner at 4pm). There's no good way around this right now, but I just hate it. I am very big on family dinners. It also means that a couple of nights a week my dinner is on the go, which usually means PBJ and fruit. Oh well!! I am trying to prepare real meals in spite of the scheduling, either in the crockpot or just have 'em ready to go at 4pm (and hubby can re-heat when he's ready to eat and I can eat leftovers the next day for lunch or whatever).

2011-03-30 7:58 AM

User image

Champion
SSMinnow - 2011-03-30 7:10 AM

Been debating going to a race in PA on Saturday, weather was supposed to be rainy but now it's a high of 49,  so not sure, I have one more day to sign up.

Before I did this reset thing I would have said nothing at all, but now that I saw how much the withdrawal from caffiene messed with me, possibly cutting down on that.  Haven't decided 100% though, that's pretty much my last vice, and you have to have at least one right?

2011-03-30 8:13 AM
in reply to: #3421062

User image

Champion
marietta
kkcbelle - 2011-03-30 8:52 AM

No racing. I'd like my husband to eat more vegetables. So I keep trying to prepare them in palatable ways. And then I eat lots of leftover veggies. I'm also at a time of year when family dinners are impossible (Thing 1 home from baseball after Thing 2's bedtime, and we can't eat dinner at 4pm). There's no good way around this right now, but I just hate it. I am very big on family dinners. It also means that a couple of nights a week my dinner is on the go, which usually means PBJ and fruit. Oh well!! I am trying to prepare real meals in spite of the scheduling, either in the crockpot or just have 'em ready to go at 4pm (and hubby can re-heat when he's ready to eat and I can eat leftovers the next day for lunch or whatever).

i hear you.  we try our best to make sure family dinners happen every weekday night.  i'm sitting here trying think when the last one we missed was and can't.  that's good.  crockpots are good friends of ours.  we're even thinking about getting a second one.   and now that we have some light in the evening the grill is fired up more and the kiddos can play outside while we (ME) cook. 

and i forgot to mention, i threw away another belt last night.  ran outta holes! 

edit... but sometimes like today when its pouring rain this morning  and we have a soccer game this evening i do kinda secretly hope that it doesn't stop raining.  ;-)

Edited by fattyfatfat 2011-03-30 8:15 AM
2011-03-30 8:22 AM

User image

Elite
san francisco

Nothing here, good luck racers!

Like Linda, I am trying to check labels more, but in my case it is especially for sodium.  My family has a very strong tendency towards high blood pressure and I love salty food, so I'm trying to be more conscious of cooking without canned ingredients.  And that way I can bring our parents dinners and such without worrying about their salt intake.  It's a win win!

2011-03-30 8:25 AM

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
SSMinnow - 2011-03-30 5:10 AM

1st one of the year. 10k. Did it last year, and would love to beat that time. Its one of the best races around. It is hosted by a swanky private club, that serves an amazing brunch after. Then the hand out 4 zillion door prizes.

As for food choices,etc, I need to further cut down on the 'grazing'. I want/need to continue to drop some lbs and then only way to do it is to cut out the useless eating.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » swbkrun with us!!! - Closed Rss Feed  

of 171