General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 171

2011-06-28 10:14 AM
in reply to: #3570798

User image

Master
Cumming, Georgia
Subject: RE: Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread

mopeypat - 2011-06-28 10:36 AM I can not get any results from IMCDA website.  Anyone else with this problem?  Could someone post a link I could follow to get results? 

If you are still having issues I created a page that is still up with all of the BT members results.  It is missing the bike split 3 and run split 4 but all of the totals are there.

http://www.racedaytracker.com/BT/IMCDA.aspx

2011-06-28 10:50 AM
in reply to: #3006331

User image

Veteran
Richmond

Quick note before leaving for the airport to head back to Virginia.  Great race and race venue, unbelievable day for me.  Finished in 13:29:11, better than my best time prediction and felt great the entire marathon.  Thanks to everyone for tips and strategy advice, they all played into a successful first timer ironman.  Sorry to hear of the troubles from the cold water and other challenges, but great job to all the BTers.  I agree, this was a phenomenal group to be part of.  I loved the Honey Badger inspiration sighs, saw two on the bike and two on the run, they all brought a grin to me, thanks Bonnie, YOU'RE THE BESTEST EVER!!! 

2011-06-28 10:56 AM

User image

Veteran
Denver, CO

Got in late last night, glad to be home. Sunday night I was saying "one and done," by sunset yesterday I was already planning for next time, learning from my mistakes, and getting extremely ambitious with goals for next year.

Frig.

2011-06-28 11:07 AM

User image

Master
Newbury Park, CA
Bonnie - sorry to hear about your day. I have to give you credit for my day to even start. Woke up and my shoulder was still hurting very much. My arm was just knd of hanging there. I started driving to transition trying to figure out how I was going to be able to do the race. Made a turn out of the area I was staying way up English Pt road and right at that corner was a HBDC sign. I knew at that point I was going to at least stand on the beach and give it a try. I prayed if I could make it through the swim I would be happy with whatever the day brought. Some how I had a decent swim! Turns out running with one arm hanging at your side leads to all sorts of neck and back pain. I probably walked (and slowly) 24 miles of the marathon. I finished 2 hour slower than my last attempt but crossing that finish line felt better than ever! Thank you for giving me the boost I needed when I was really down.
2011-06-28 11:44 AM

User image

Veteran
STATESBORO, GA
Great day. My plan was designed so much from this thread. Looking at my splits and now seeing how I feel I executed well. Special thanks to the SLAYER for advice. I feel good today. I am in the boat of the hb signs helped a lot. Hope to see you all at the races in the future. Best of all I raised 4000 to help kids of fallen soldiers. Short of my goal but hopefully someone will benefit. Our day still fails in comparison to the day some of our Heros had on Sunday. May you all have a glorious week recovering and planning future goals
2011-06-28 12:50 PM

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL

I wrote this race report for some of my non-tri friends so not a lot of technical details but it sums up my day.

http://www.mcadforums.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=12359

2011-06-28 12:58 PM

User image

Regular
Hi all! It has been great reading about all of your race day high's and low's. I had an amazing day. My first goal was to finish the race (which I did) a d my second goal was to finish in 15:00 or less, which I did not 15:45...but I don't care, because I had such an amazing day. I had a great swim, I think I am one of the few, and a great T1 thanks to my prep and Debbie in the changing tent. The bike was great, I had a plan and I stuck to it. Wasn't super fast, as the hills on loop 2 did a number on my legs and my stomach was not really wanting anything the whole bike, but I felt really great coming off the bike into the run. I am not a runner and was very concerned that I would walk most if not all the run, but I did my run 4 walk 1 for the first 15 miles, and then walked the rest. My husband met me just before the turn onto Sherman, and convinced me to start running again, and I really feel like I just floated down to the finish. It was great, and I still can't stop smiling.I still have my bracelet on, I will cut it off at home, and put it with my race number. I thought the volunteers and the spectators were the best part of the day. It was just amazing (as a slower finisher) to see all those people still out there at the end to cheer you on. I too agree that they should have a cut off of the number of participants, I was ok on the swim, but I kept thinking about the people that I know that aren't as strong in the water, and how that many people can be way overwhelming especially in a 2 loop swim. The bike was very crowded on the first loop especially since I was out of the water early I had people in packs passing my on the right and left...it was a bit crazy.All in all I loved my first IM experience, and I am all ready for my next on IM Cozumel in November! I think next year I will do IM Wisconsin since it is right next door Peace out HB's! Lea
2011-06-28 1:04 PM

User image

Elite
Phoenix, AZ

I probably peeled a few of you and body marked a few of you.

Congrats on your races.

What a great time!

2011-06-28 3:13 PM

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California
Thanks again for all of the support and great memories. Bonnie, it was a bummer that I did not get to see you out in the run course this go around. If things net out well, it looks like I might get a chance at Moo next year. 

I am feeling much better about my day out there. The is rarely the race we want it to be, but more likely, we make the best of what we are given.

My foot is feeling better but is still quite painful. I have another 4 days here in Sunny CdA and I think I might go soak in the lake and relax. I have a Dr. Appointment scheduled for when I get back but my guess is that it is just a really bad sprain or possibly a stress fracture. The pain is spread out and general rather than local to just one part of the metatarsal.

The great news is that the doc at the finish line said, whatever it is, it is stable and it will get better with rest.

Seems like my fall marathon plans are still reasonable which makes me very happy. My IM goals will just have to wait another year. Excercise in delayed gratification. Oh, and I do still have my IM Bracelet on over my RoadID.

Recover Well Cool Kids 
2011-06-28 6:58 PM

User image

Expert
Chandler, AZ
Congrats to all the Bters. A special shoutout to the first timers. This is a challenging course.As identified in the race tracker, I was a DNF. I stopped at mile 31 after crashing 2x on the bike. I got banged up pretty good and one of my aero bars became loose. I was on English Point. I was braking to slow down when my rear brake grabbed my tire instead of the rim. I adjusted the brake pad and crashed on the next downhill about a half mile further. Obviously, I did not adders the real issue which was the wheel became loose in the stays. Not sure when or how that happenedI figured it was not my day and did not feel safe enough to continue for the rest of the course. In hindsight, maybe I could have.I had a great race week and enjoyed several new folks.I am thinking of signing up for next year. Is that crazy.Love love loved the honey badger signs. Great job Bonnie. They were in all the right places.
2011-06-28 7:07 PM

They found the two bikes that were stolen before the race.

http://www.krem.com/news/Ironman-stolen-bikes-found-at-pawn-shop-124658579.html

2011-06-28 7:23 PM

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL

I really only had one gripe and it was about a racer not the race. 

If you are gonna pee on the bike, make sure no one is behind you.  I was screaming down a hill (35ish) and the guy in front of me lets loose.  Fortunatley for him I was far enough to the side that it did not hit me, but he never even looked to see if anyone was near him.  I mean come on, move to the side if you are going to do that.  And he was on the same lap as me so he was NOT trying to KQ.  Not like stopping was gonna cost you ore than 30-40 seconds.

And I say fortunately for him because had he "sprayed" me he would have been the first person to DNF this race due to a broken nose and busted jaw.

As for the race logistics I was amazed at the volunteers and layout.  I cannot think of a negative.

2011-06-28 8:09 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Strong Beach, CA
My main complaint on the bike course was the fact that half the Perform bottles I grabbed didn't have the sport tops screwed on all the way, and the rest didn't have the twist tops closed. My bike is still a big sticky mess because of it.
2011-06-28 9:11 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pacific NW

What an awesome BT group!  I'm gonna miss you guys and this forum.  It was fun to meet some of you during the week, hopefully our paths will cross at future races.

My main goal for the day was to make the bike cutoff.  Mission accomplished.  I did have a little panic after getting stung by a wasp on English Point.  Seriously.  After the HB theme and all the Bee signs on the course, that was really weird.  My leg had a bit of a reaction, but thankfully nothing too serious.  Good thing HB don't give a about getting stung.  The marathon didn't go so well for me and I walked probably 20 miles.  But I met some great people because of it.  I've got some things (blisters, cramps, nutrition) to figure out before Arizona in November.  The run down Sherman - AMAZING.

Congrats to all of you for getting to the start line.  Whether or not we hit our goals, I bet we all learned a lot about ourselves on Sunday.

2011-06-28 9:16 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pacific NW

One cool thing I found out about today...

My little brother worked as a bike handler in T1.  He told me that while we were all out there swimming, they were checking each and every bike for flat tires.  They changed close to 40 flats.  The volunteers were taking the wheels on/off, while the techs were changing the tires and running the bikes through all the gears before the volunteers reracked them.  They even changed a few tubulars.

This is one of those behind-the-scenes things that I don't think many people know about, and certainly doesn't get recognized.  I'm not sure if it's a CdA thing or if it happens at all of them.  But how awesome!

2011-06-28 11:00 PM
in reply to: #3571898

User image

Master
Millersville, MD

azstaterick - 2011-06-28 7:58 PM Congrats to all the Bters. A special shoutout to the first timers. This is a challenging course.As identified in the race tracker, I was a DNF. I stopped at mile 31 after crashing 2x on the bike. I got banged up pretty good and one of my aero bars became loose. I was on English Point. I was braking to slow down when my rear brake grabbed my tire instead of the rim. I adjusted the brake pad and crashed on the next downhill about a half mile further. Obviously, I did not adders the real issue which was the wheel became loose in the stays. Not sure when or how that happenedI figured it was not my day and did not feel safe enough to continue for the rest of the course. In hindsight, maybe I could have.I had a great race week and enjoyed several new folks.I am thinking of signing up for next year. Is that crazy.Love love loved the honey badger signs. Great job Bonnie. They were in all the right places.

That is rough!!!!  Glad you're alright... could have been scary hurt!

2011-06-28 11:19 PM
in reply to: #3572037

User image

Master
Millersville, MD
sarahk - 2011-06-28 10:16 PM

My little brother worked as a bike handler in T1.  He told me that while we were all out there swimming, they were checking each and every bike for flat tires.  They changed close to 40 flats.  The volunteers were taking the wheels on/off, while the techs were changing the tires and running the bikes through all the gears before the volunteers reracked them.  They even changed a few tubulars.

This is one of those behind-the-scenes things that I don't think many people know about, and certainly doesn't get recognized.  I'm not sure if it's a CdA thing or if it happens at all of them.  But how awesome!

That is cool!  How in the world 40 people managed to flat during the swim is beyond me... assuming mostly pinched tubes that had never been ridden and then were over-inflated on race morning.  That's just crazy dumb (note I'll probably arrive to a flat in T1 in my next race but I gotta call it like I see it).  The evil part of me wishes the techs had just put a post-it note on the flatted bikes that said, "REALLY?????"

2011-06-28 11:21 PM

User image

Master
Millersville, MD
Just gotta say I've really enjoyed the mini-reports... especially hearing about so many awesome execution decisions (gearing, pacing, adapting to uncontrollable events, etc).  Rock on peeps!
2011-06-28 11:38 PM

A little more info on how they solved the bike theft.

http://www.cdapress.com/news/local_news/article_5fbf0596-a1a3-11e0-9b54-001cc4c002e0.html

2011-06-29 12:11 AM

User image

Elite
Mesa, AZ
No full BT report but pics and report on my blog:http://jd-squared.blogspot.com/
2011-06-29 12:16 AM

Master
, California

The evil part of me wishes the techs had just put a post-it note on the flatted bikes that said, "REALLY?????"

or an invoice

2011-06-29 12:28 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olympia, WA
Wow, I'm so far behind on all these posts. I'm still vacationing in Idaho for a couple more days in so I'll catch up later and report on my adventures when I get back. One note on the wrist band survey - yes, I still had it on and so did several others I saw at Silverwood today. Of course, what really gave them away was their sunburns. One lady had a super sharp outline of a her race top on her back. Ouch!
2011-06-29 12:39 AM
in reply to: #3571973

User image

Veteran
Denver, CO

jackson61802 - 2011-06-28 7:09 PM My main complaint on the bike course was the fact that half the Perform bottles I grabbed didn't have the sport tops screwed on all the way, and the rest didn't have the twist tops closed. My bike is still a big sticky mess because of it.

I noticed that too, but I'm not too upset about it - mostly because I have a disgusting coating of splattered bugs to wipe off my bike from the drive home.

Sarah, glad to hear you made the bike cutoff. Best of luck in AZ.

2011-06-29 2:09 AM

Champion
No excuses!

Like others I am still vacationing but in Seattle. Just starting to do some reading and I think I will post bits and pieces as it comes to me. What a weekend and first of all must say what a town and area of the country. WOW!!!!

Was just blown away by the scenery and just the set up of the town and how they embrace this race. The most of any of the ones I have done so far.

Didn't have the race I wanted but will work through that as it comes to me.

2011-06-29 2:13 AM
in reply to: #3572037

Champion
No excuses!
sarahk - 2011-06-28 10:16 PM

My buddy who was racked next to me came out of T1 and a bike tech said that they had just changed a flat for him. He grabs his bike and his rear was flat also. What are the chances of that??

New Thread
CLOSED
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 171