Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 19

2007-09-01 10:07 AM
in reply to: #635251

User image

Veteran
McFarland, WI
Subject: RE: Whizzzzz's Group -- Full!
OK, regarding the steely vs the new Madone. Yep, I feel like a traitor because I love the way the steely rides--comfortable yet snappy. The steely has a very live feel, the carbon does not. The Madones will be reserved for the hilly rides.

We seriously considered swapping out our doubles for triples on the Waterfords but it didn't make a lot of sense based on cost. The "swap out" is basically a rebuild replacing most of the components with a cost of about $650-$700 not including the labor to switch it all out.

Machinery Row is also throwing in a complete 1-2 hour fit session, swapping out tires, etc. all free. The bike will be set up for more of a triathlon fit including aerobars.

The bikes were a great buy, over $800 off the regular price. So, if you need a bike they have some 2006 models with an even bigger discount.

Besides, you can never have enough bikes, right?

2007-09-01 10:56 AM
in reply to: #949575

User image

Extreme Veteran
God, I feel like a basket case. We are all driven people, and it is fearful coming in last, with the police officer behind you! I am not going to drop out. I am going to take it piece by piece, and if I feel like I can't go anymore, then I will stop. I can't kill myself for this. But I will try my hardest to get through it.

Thanks Whizzzzz...your words are very helpful!
2007-09-01 10:58 AM
in reply to: #949590

User image

Extreme Veteran
I like that - my job is to make the other women look good!! Thanks for the new perspective!!

Nancy

2007-09-01 11:38 AM

User image

Master
MidWest

Nancy,

Go back and look at my race report from Elmwood.  I was the last person in. I was frustrated by the ambulance being right behind me and the 4 wheelers kept coming back to see what my progress was on the run.  I was mad at myself for letting Mike and our friends down.  After the race I had serious doubts about whether I would ever do another race. 

I understand all of your frustrations.  BTDT.  You have trained for this. The whole point of doing something outside of our comfort zones is to achieve greater goals.  We only grow by learning from our mistakes and even our successes.  Finishing last is only a lasting mistake   if we don't learn from it.  I often refer back to something I ask our scouts at the end of a long campout and are feeling frustrated over what was NOT accomplished.  Did you have fun (don't answer this right after a race that you finished last in or didnot hit your target times), did you learn something about yourself or your sommunity today and did you meet someone new?  If you can answer yes to all of these questions then you have had a succesful day.  I have to constantly refer back to these three questions when my self doubts start setting in.  Feel free to give me a call (I'll send it in a PM) if you want to talk more.

2007-09-01 1:07 PM
in reply to: #949646

User image

Extreme Veteran
Thank you for that story - that is what is scaring me. TO hold everyone up, the awards up, having everyone angry that their glory is delayed. Those who never finish at the back of the pack have no idea of that ghost chasing you, even when you know you should hold back to have something left.

I am focusing on the experience, not the result. And also the memory of some many firefighters my husband worked with who died, and can never do anything like this. I don't want to quit in their memory.

Thanks so much,
Nancy

2007-09-01 8:57 PM
in reply to: #949057

User image

Elite
Chicago, IL

retiretotri - 2007-08-31 3:37 PM Uh, oh. I am officially a bike junkie. Take a look at the new addition. Triple chain ring and a little more aggressive riding position.

wow!!!!!!!!!!, those are beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now you can sign up for the Horrible Hilly Hundred next year, he he

Congratulations... enjoy the bikes!!!!

2007-09-01 9:05 PM

User image

Veteran
Nice bikes. I feel your pain on betraying steel. Carbon is at least technically cool. Aluminum should just all be recycled into mountain bikes with enough suspension to compensate for the jarring ride. Enjoy the triple chain ring.
2007-09-02 12:39 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I survived!! I came in second to DFL! No matter. I swam the mile (they said it was a mile) in 41:48, the bike, where I had to get off 5 times to fix my reflector and my brake that was rubbing, I did in 2:00:38, obviously need work there, and my run was 1:22:21, 13:17 pace, which wasn't terrible considering I haven't run 6 miles in 3 years, and my running was limited by my plantar fasciitis!

I am relieved to be alive, and finished. My race report will be up tonight - going out to party now!!
Nancy

2007-09-02 12:53 PM

User image

Master
MidWest
Good job Nancy!  I can't wait to read your race report.
2007-09-02 8:29 PM
in reply to: #950223

User image

Extreme Veteran
Thanks!! I was second to last, so I didn't get the cop car, unfortunately. I could have used him as a truck pulling a boat almost ran me off the road. Going to write the report now!!
2007-09-09 9:04 PM

User image

Veteran

Now that I have a training plan for the rest of the season, I'm thinking about what to do in the off season. At the moment, I'm thinking of completing a Marathon early next year (end of March). If I do that, then I will only have a couple of months (Nov-Dec) of non-race driven training.

I'm thinking of spending some time climbing rock walls, roller blading (if the winter is mild), or picking up aikido again.

So, what do you plan on doing during the off season?

2007-09-09 9:28 PM

User image

Elite
Reno

I( read that as "picking up an Akita" and I thought - yeah, those are heavy dogs, that would be a good work out....

I think I will work on the running and pick up some more yoga/palates or something once it gets too cold for biking...  or get in on the spoin classes at the gym

2007-09-09 11:16 PM

User image

Veteran
Walworth, WI
My HIM for next weekend has morphed into a Half Mary on Sept 24 and a century on Oct 7. Oh well. As it turns out, I put in a decent amount of training for a season that included NO (zero) triathlons. The June marathon put a crimp in the early season tris. I thought that would make me bitter, but it turns out that I enjoy the training as much, if not more than, the races themselves.

I'll keep up the biking for the next couple of months and plan to run at least 3 days a week clear through the the winter. There's a handful of running events in December/January that keep the motivation keyed up to some degree. I'll try to plan my early season a more effecitvely in 2008 to hit some of the better organized events and still be able to run Grandma's Marathon again in June. Now I know what to expect.
2007-09-10 7:27 AM

User image

Champion
Whizzzzzlandia
Silver member

I'm anxiously awaiting the off season, quite honestly. Last HIM this weekend in Washington. Then it's going to be a mental endurance event to get me to the Chicago Marathon on October 7. This is what happens to me sometimes when I start my season too early. My first race was in the end of March! I'm quite ready to be finished.

I knew this was going to be a stretch, though. Next year I won't start so early and go so late!

I intend to do lots of NOTHING for about a week or two... then this winter, it's going to be all about working my run. Knees allowing. (!!!)  

2007-09-10 9:47 AM

User image

Master
MidWest

I've been challenged to complete an Oly next season sooooo

I novice teach on Tuesday/Thursdays so I'm planning on going swimming on those mornings since I know that I have to be up early anyway.  My goal is to run until the snow is too deep to run in.  that means I'm gonna have to go get some cold weather gear.  I'm saving up for a new bike so I will probably stay with McFuzz's trainer or use the stationary at school.  Not sure how many tris I'll do next year as the boys and hubby will be gearing up for Philmont (hiking in the mountains of New Mexico).  I wasn't happy with my last tri (that's what Iget for not training because I deemed it too hot out!) so I hope to do it again with better results. 

2007-09-10 12:21 PM

User image

Veteran
McFarland, WI
Yes, it is official--this is crazy, insane, nuts, and I am probably not ready for this major league step up in the triathlon world. Got my golden ticket for IM WI 2008. About 400 people in line ahead of us and we got there at 7:00 AM! 328 participants from this year signed up on Saturday. The line was still very long when we left.

I do realize that this will really "put me out there" for scrutiny and make me much more visible both leading up to the race and once I get to the starting line (notice I did not say if--I will be there, God willing). Not exactly a comfortable situation for me, I cherish toiling away in complete anonymity. Now the real work--both physically and mentally--begins.

This won't be pretty and I fully expect it to be the hardest thing I have ever done. Stay tuned.

2007-09-10 12:40 PM
in reply to: #958193

User image

Master
MidWest

retiretotri - 2007-09-10 12:21 PM Yes, it is official--this is crazy, insane, nuts, and I am probably not ready for this major league step up in the triathlon world. Got my golden ticket for IM WI 2008. About 400 people in line ahead of us and we got there at 7:00 AM! 328 participants from this year signed up on Saturday. The line was still very long when we left. I do realize that this will really "put me out there" for scrutiny and make me much more visible both leading up to the race and once I get to the starting line (notice I did not say if--I will be there, God willing). Not exactly a comfortable situation for me, I cherish toiling away in complete anonymity. Now the real work--both physically and mentally--begins. This won't be pretty and I fully expect it to be the hardest thing I have ever done. Stay tuned.

You're not totally nuts!  I've toyed with the idea of ding a HIM next season!! I think being certifiable is why we are in this specific group!!! Whizzz care to comment?

2007-09-10 6:31 PM
in reply to: #957637

User image

Extreme Veteran
Whizzzzz - 2007-09-10 7:27 AM

I'm anxiously awaiting the off season, quite honestly. Last HIM this weekend in Washington. Then it's going to be a mental endurance event to get me to the Chicago Marathon on October 7. This is what happens to me sometimes when I start my season too early. My first race was in the end of March! I'm quite ready to be finished.

I knew this was going to be a stretch, though. Next year I won't start so early and go so late!

I intend to do lots of NOTHING for about a week or two... then this winter, it's going to be all about working my run. Knees allowing. (!!!)  

I am going through the same thing, I think. I am having big problems getting through my workouts this past week. This was NOT the case all summer, but I am also back to school now. Totally depressed about the end of summer, and how I feel physically.

All I want to do is sit on my couch and eat a Haggen Daaz Dark Chocolate Ice Cream bar.
2007-09-13 8:57 PM

User image

Champion
Whizzzzzlandia
Silver member

Hi Peeps, been out and about traveling to Washington... We are here... and Holy Moly... it's going to be a hilly hilly bike course. Some parts are 8% grade for what seems like miles. I was going to bring a camera along on the bike because the scenery is fantastic, but I don't think I'll be able to let go of my handlebars for any length of time to take photos. It's either up hill or down hill... nothing in between!! Surprised

So Lord only knows how this is going to go. My run is questionable as it is. It will be interesting to say the very least.

Wish me luck. Mentor your mentor! 

I should be able to get back on line sometime tomorrow. Smile

2007-09-13 9:33 PM

User image

Master
MidWest
Good luck at your race!  I'm sure you will do great!!
2007-09-13 10:12 PM

User image

Veteran
McFarland, WI
Hey, you did the horrible hilly hundreds. How much harder can the bike be? Well, I guess you didn't have to run after that but still.

Seriously, you will do awesome. Your biking is great and your running is coming right along. Spin up those hills and save something for the run. I would be in trouble on that bike course because I would be taking in all of the scenery instead of concentrating on biking.

Of course, take all of this with a grain of salt because it comes from an idiot who signed up for IM WI.

Get after it and I am looking forward to reading the race report! Happy racing and good luck!

2007-09-14 6:15 AM
in reply to: #964288

User image

Extreme Veteran
Whizzzzz - 2007-09-13 8:57 PM

Hi Peeps, been out and about traveling to Washington... We are here... and Holy Moly... it's going to be a hilly hilly bike course. Some parts are 8% grade for what seems like miles. I was going to bring a camera along on the bike because the scenery is fantastic, but I don't think I'll be able to let go of my handlebars for any length of time to take photos. It's either up hill or down hill... nothing in between!! Surprised

So Lord only knows how this is going to go. My run is questionable as it is. It will be interesting to say the very least.

Wish me luck. Mentor your mentor!

I should be able to get back on line sometime tomorrow. Smile

Good luck, Whizzzz!!! I will repeat what my Coach told me before the Lake George Tri, which terrified me, as you know: be patient on the hills, take them one at a time, when swimming, only think about the swim; when biking, remember you have to run, but don't think about the run at all, just think about each hill in front of you. And eat and drink enough - she is always bashing that into my head! (not like you have to tell me to eat enough!!)

You are going to do great!!! Have fun, and let us know how you do!
2007-09-14 12:40 PM

User image

McFarland, WI
Hi all,

As you saw in RTT's post, it's official, well not that official yet until we're on the "participants" list. It is going to happen. We're looking forward to it. RTT and I have already discussed race strategy. There was a couple at IM WI last week that did the race, and were within a couple of seconds from each other at each timing mat. We decided that strategy probably woudn't work for us. Since I'm a very slow runner, and due to my nagging achilles issues, I'm probably going to do my 2 1/2 min walk x 2 1/2 min run plan which nets about 12 min miles. I'm even preparing myself to walk much more than that. With that in mind, we decided it would be risky for me to wait for RTT in the swim, T-1, Bike, T-2 (That's assuming I actually am faster in those disciplines). I'm going to need every minute I can muster to give me enough time to walk the entire marathon if I need to.

We discussed realistic time expecations for each of us. Even though we have different speeds (at least right now) for each discipline, my math (yuck, math) estimates our finish time to be within 10 minutes of each other. Of course, that is all in a perfect world, not counting flats, cramps, potty breaks, etc. It would be great if we hook up on the run and are able to finish side by side.

The people I work with always work the run portion of the course, so we'll have to devise a plan for RTT and I to know about where each other are.

See ya.

2007-09-16 12:03 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Tired from last Tri???
Question for those who know more: could I still be tired from my Oly distance tri two weeks ago? I sure feel tired on the bike, not the swim, and a little when I am running. But the bike is the worst. I get on the bike and whether outside, or on my new trainer, I just don't have it in me. The muscles around my knee ache with fatigue. Today, my coach wanted me to go out for an easy ride, 1 hour, and then run 30 minutes at race pace. I went with my husband, who was having bike issues, so we turned around at 20 minutes, right before another big hill that I just didn't have the heart to climb. It was NOT going easy, so part of the issue is that there are NO easy rides around where I live. Up and down, and down and up, hills, hills and then some mountains for fun. I am just exhausted on the bike and I have my last tri next weekend, which I would bag if I didn't have a coach who will give me the guilts.

Plus, I am battling inadequecy feelings - so many hours of training, so slow, slower than hundreds of others, many of whom probably didn't train. And it's not just my weight - lots of overweight people beat me. I am starting to think I am wasting valuable time on this sport although I do love the training.

Any insights much appreciated. Thanks,
Nancy
2007-09-17 9:19 AM
in reply to: #966619

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Tired from last Tri???

nancylee - 2007-09-16 1:03 PM I am starting to think I am wasting valuable time on this sport although I do love the training. 

If you love the training, then train - it's not a waste of time to maintain fitness. Some people think racing is fun and motivating. Some people don't. There a plenty of people who run for fitness and never race. The same for swimming and biking.  Triathlete carries the connotation of racing in a way the individual disciplines don't. So rename yourself a linear sportsman (or come up with your own moniker, and explain to anyone who asks that it refers to someone who bikes, swims, and runs for fun and fitness) and keep doing what you enjoy.

It is possible that you're still tired from you event two weeks ago. Take a few days off and see how you feel. 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Whizzzzz's Group -- Full! Rss Feed  

of 19