2009-01-06 2:54 PM
in reply to: #1889661

User image

Elite
san francisco
Subject: RE: swbkrun's group- CLOSED
SSMinnow - 2009-01-06 10:43 AM

cadmus - 2009-01-06 12:40 PM

tahrens - 2009-01-06 8:16 AM IT'S OFFICIAL, I SIGNED UP FOR MY FIRST HIM LAST NIGHT!!!!  MAY 2ND AT 7AM.  WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME?!!?!?!?Cry  The thing that amazes me the most is how many people race this particular race. There is a sprint one day and a half the other, each with a 700 people cap. Plus they do this 2weekends in a row to allow for more racers, and all four races (2800 people) sold out within 3 hours of opening the registration.  Crazy!!!! 

Wow, May 2nd is right around the corner.  I was wondering if I could be ready for a HIM in September - I'm such a pansy and obviously not SAVAGE enough.  Good job!!

Hey, don't call me a pansy!  I was thinking of a 1/2 IM in July, but just pushed it back to September!  Maybe you and I can give each other some moral support while the rest of the group is doing 1/2IMs in May and probably IMs in June.

Hey! I guess I am right in with you pansies!!! Suzy, did you sign up for the HIM yet? Tracy, I felt just like that when I hit the submit button for my first HIM, Vineman, it will be in July...I just looked and saw that there are about 1800 registered, my wave will be second to last and will start almost 2 hours after the pros! I will have 45-49 y.o. males swimming over me as they are the last group to go...great put the ultra competitive dudes behind us older ladies I am getting excited just thinking it!

2009-01-06 3:14 PM
in reply to: #1889177

User image

Expert
Pittsburgh

tahrens - 2009-01-06 11:16 AM IT'S OFFICIAL, I SIGNED UP FOR MY FIRST HIM LAST NIGHT!!!!  MAY 2ND AT 7AM.  WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME?!!?!?!?Cry  The thing that amazes me the most is how many people race this particular race. There is a sprint one day and a half the other, each with a 700 people cap. Plus they do this 2weekends in a row to allow for more racers, and all four races (2800 people) sold out within 3 hours of opening the registration.  Crazy!!!! 

Excellent!  Looking forward to seeing how you do!

I ended up signing up for the Savageman HIM in Sep!  I'm also registered for an HIM in nice, relatively flat Ohio 4 weeks before that.  Should be an interesting way to finish off the season this year....

2009-01-06 3:26 PM
in reply to: #1890167

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
willie05 - 2009-01-06 4:14 PM

tahrens - 2009-01-06 11:16 AM IT'S OFFICIAL, I SIGNED UP FOR MY FIRST HIM LAST NIGHT!!!!  MAY 2ND AT 7AM.  WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME?!!?!?!?Cry  The thing that amazes me the most is how many people race this particular race. There is a sprint one day and a half the other, each with a 700 people cap. Plus they do this 2weekends in a row to allow for more racers, and all four races (2800 people) sold out within 3 hours of opening the registration.  Crazy!!!! 

I ended up signing up for the Savageman HIM in Sep!  I'm also registered for an HIM in nice, relatively flat Ohio 4 weeks before that.  Should be an interesting way to finish off the season this year....

I'm not ready to take a bite out of the SavageMan half yet. Besides the SavageMan Olympic counts for more than an ordinary olympic I think.  I haven't signed up for that yet, trying to spread out the entry fees.  But I guess I had better get on that one as well.  This way we can be Savage together! GGGgggggggrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

2009-01-06 4:21 PM
in reply to: #1890215

User image

Expert
Pittsburgh
tahrens - 2009-01-06 4:26 PM
willie05 - 2009-01-06 4:14 PM

I'm not ready to take a bite out of the SavageMan half yet. Besides the SavageMan Olympic counts for more than an ordinary olympic I think.  I haven't signed up for that yet, trying to spread out the entry fees.  But I guess I had better get on that one as well.  This way we can be Savage together! GGGgggggggrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Awesome! Cool  

No doubt that's the toughest Olympic course around!

2009-01-06 5:23 PM
in reply to: #1856701

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas
Way to go Tracy... I am looking at the schedule right now and trying to figure out what I am going to do.  Right now I am only registered for the half mary next month.  I think I am going to target the Longhorn HIM in October.  
2009-01-06 6:37 PM
in reply to: #1890593

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia

Well here is my planned 2009 schedule, probably doesn't include some 5 or 10k's here and there.

1/31 Snotcycle 22 mi Mtn. Bike race
3/22 Shamrock 1/2 marathon
4/5 Cherry Blossom 10 miler
4/26 Worldgate Sprint
5/9 Capital to Capital Century (maybe, or some other Century)
6/6 Mooseman Int'l
6/13 Spring Shurch Creek TT (maybe, or some other TT's)
6/28 Montclair (maybe sprint, maybe olympic who knows)
7/26 Hagerstown Sprint
8/2 Culpeper Sprint
8/16 Covered Bridge Metric Century (maybe)
9/12 Patriot's HIM or 9/13 Nations Tri as relay.
10/25 Marine Corps Marathon 

2009-01-07 6:10 AM
in reply to: #1890107

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
kt65 - 2009-01-06 2:54 PM
SSMinnow - 2009-01-06 10:43 AM
cadmus - 2009-01-06 12:40 PM

tahrens - 2009-01-06 8:16 AM IT'S OFFICIAL, I SIGNED UP FOR MY FIRST HIM LAST

Hey, don't call me a pansy!  I was thinking of a 1/2 IM in July, but just pushed it back to September!  Maybe you and I can give each other some moral support while the rest of the group is doing 1/2IMs in May and probably IMs in June.

Hey! I guess I am right in with you pansies!!! Suzy, did you sign up for the HIM yet? Tracy, I felt just like that when I hit the submit button for my first HIM, Vineman, it will be in July...I just looked and saw that there are about 1800 registered, my wave will be second to last and will start almost 2 hours after the pros! I will have 45-49 y.o. males swimming over me as they are the last group to go...great put the ultra competitive dudes behind us older ladies I am getting excited just thinking it!

Nope, I went to the website this morning, started the registration and abortedSurprised.  I am going to wait to see how my Boston training goes given the ongoing rehab.  If I decide to defer Boston I could actually do something earlier and since this race typically doesn't fill up I have time to ponder.

You guys can keep me honest though.  I feel like this is the year I should bite off a longer distance race.  And I am in the 45-49 yo age group.  I always hope I am last to go so that no dudes swim over me. 

2009-01-07 8:14 AM

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada

Good morning from Denver....I went so far outside my box last night. Was meeting with a bunch of work people, and had some time to kill so I ran acrocc the street to Niketown....Noticed they had a running club that meets there at 5:30 on tuesday. I thought to myself I should do it(its free), but left the store thinking nah I can't do that.

After meeting up with my work guys(even after a beer!!), I decided SCREW IT i'm going to run. So I hussled back to my hotel, got my gear on, and went back to Nike. Ran about 3 or 4 miles probably, and got to meet some nice people. I was definitely not bringing up the rear, so that made me feel good. After it was over, I was wandering around, and was thinking....I would NEVER have done anything like this in the past-Way outside the comfort zone. But now that I'm starting to feel like a 'bit of an athlete', I can do this kind of thing for myself and feel good about it.

Think I'm going to have some breaky here shortly, then hit the gym across the street before friving up to the ski resort!!!

2009-01-07 8:19 AM

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.

Suzy, you need to just commit.....That is if you want to do a 1/2 Ironman.  If you don't want to, you don't HAVE to do one.... I think too people have the misconception that if you start doing triathlon's you have to do an 1/2 Iron, or Ironman.... Yes, they are hard, A LOT OF WORK, and challenge and REWARDING when you are done, but so is everything in life that you have to work hard for!

Suzy you have the experience, you have the discipline to train and do well, you have the mileage (geez- you had way more miles than I did last year and I did and Ironman).  You can do it!  If you run the risk of hurting your rehab, or reinjurying yourself then put the thought out of your mind!  You are playing mind games with yourself everyday!  However, on the other hand.... Ask Tracy how many times she has thought about her 1/2 Ironman since she has signed up!  She is going to eat, sleep, breath this 1/2 until it is done !!! That is the nature of the BEAST!!

2009-01-07 8:21 AM
in reply to: #1891594

User image

Champion
TrevorC - 2009-01-07 9:14 AM

Good morning from Denver....I went so far outside my box last night. Was meeting with a bunch of work people, and had some time to kill so I ran acrocc the street to Niketown....Noticed they had a running club that meets there at 5:30 on tuesday. I thought to myself I should do it(its free), but left the store thinking nah I can't do that.

After meeting up with my work guys(even after a beer!!), I decided SCREW IT i'm going to run. So I hussled back to my hotel, got my gear on, and went back to Nike. Ran about 3 or 4 miles probably, and got to meet some nice people. I was definitely not bringing up the rear, so that made me feel good. After it was over, I was wandering around, and was thinking....I would NEVER have done anything like this in the past-Way outside the comfort zone. But now that I'm starting to feel like a 'bit of an athlete', I can do this kind of thing for myself and feel good about it.

Think I'm going to have some breaky here shortly, then hit the gym across the street before friving up to the ski resort!!!

Good job, next you will start shaving your legs, telling people to HTFU and buying a scale that weighs in grams to weigh all your bike parts : )

Seriously it is a good feeling to know you can do something like that.

2009-01-07 8:22 AM
in reply to: #1891601

User image

Champion
swbkrun - 2009-01-07 9:19 AM

Suzy, you need to just commit.....That is if you want to do a 1/2 Ironman.  If you don't want to, you don't HAVE to do one.... I think too people have the misconception that if you start doing triathlon's you have to do an 1/2 Iron, or Ironman.... Yes, they are hard, A LOT OF WORK, and challenge and REWARDING when you are done, but so is everything in life that you have to work hard for!

Suzy you have the experience, you have the discipline to train and do well, you have the mileage (geez- you had way more miles than I did last year and I did and Ironman).  You can do it!  If you run the risk of hurting your rehab, or reinjurying yourself then put the thought out of your mind!  You are playing mind games with yourself everyday!  However, on the other hand.... Ask Tracy how many times she has thought about her 1/2 Ironman since she has signed up!  She is going to eat, sleep, breath this 1/2 until it is done !!! That is the nature of the BEAST!!

x2 LOL you run, swim, bike alot more than I do and I am thinking about doing one this year also. 

2009-01-07 8:23 AM

User image

Pro
TrevorC - 2009-01-07 6:14 AM

That is awesome Trevor.  One thing about me that puts an instant smile on my face is hear about people pushing themselves outside of their comfort zone.  Just by doing that 3-4 mile run you probably have instilled (sp?) a WHOLE NEW LEVEL OF CONFIDENCE!  I am totally excited about this!  Keep up the good work!  I guess you lived by Nike's saying "JUST DO IT!"

CONGRATS!!

2009-01-07 8:38 AM

User image

Expert
Missouri
TrevorC - 2009-01-07 8:14 AM

Congrats on moving outside your comfort zone!  I've been considering something similar.  I also don't travel too far outside mine (sometimes I need a little push).  The LRS has group runs on Tuesday night that I would love to try out but I'm afraid of being left far behind.  It's a 5 mile run on a very hilly course and I don't want to embarass myself by not being able to keep up.  I can cover the distance, but there would be walking involved due to the hills.  I think I'm also afraid of feeling like an outsider.  I'm not the kind of person who can walk up to a stranger and start a conversation.  It would be nice to have someone to run with once in a while though - I think I would push myself more that way. 

2009-01-07 9:48 AM
in reply to: #1891653

User image

Expert
B'ham

soccermom15 - 2009-01-07 6:38 AM Congrats on moving outside your comfort zone!  I've been considering something similar.  I also don't travel too far outside mine (sometimes I need a little push).  The LRS has group runs on Tuesday night that I would love to try out but I'm afraid of being left far behind.  It's a 5 mile run on a very hilly course and I don't want to embarass myself by not being able to keep up.  I can cover the distance, but there would be walking involved due to the hills.  I think I'm also afraid of feeling like an outsider.  I'm not the kind of person who can walk up to a stranger and start a conversation.  It would be nice to have someone to run with once in a while though - I think I would push myself more that way. 

Ok - here's the deal.  One of our LRS has a similar drop in run, also on Tuesdays, that I've been making excuses for not joining since the day I bought my first pair of shoes from them.  Next Tuesday I'm going and you should too - this is your 'little push'

Edited by cadmus 2009-01-07 9:48 AM
2009-01-07 9:57 AM

User image

Regular
Lewiston, ID
I would like to add my two cents

I feel that this sport we are engaged in is always outside the "comfort zone" whether it is sprint, olympic, HIM, or HIM distance. Talk to most people we see every day and tell them you run triathlons and see their reaction.... I think all to often we get into groups of other triathletes and we have to start comparing (welcome to human nature) and we don't compare ourselves to where we were a year ago, two years ago or 7 years ago.

I use 7 years ago because this coming march will be 7 years since a car accident I had the privilage of being in I say privilage becuase of how that event forced changes in my thought process. I compare my self to what I have done and How I can improve on my own performance. Don't get me wrong I would love to win and it drove me crazy when 5 of my age group passed me in the last half mile of our local sprint..... but when I compare that finish to the previous year I went from 2nd to Last over all to middle of the pack and top 15 in the bike .

One of the best triathlon experiences I have had was at Last years IM Coeur delene. I am a finish line volenteer captain and so I got to be there when everyone finished. The biggest and Loudest crowd was not when the Professionals finished but when the "normal" people came across the line at 11:55pm. Everyone was cheering these finishers on even the pro's who were done hours earlier.

Triatlons are Individual events done with a group of people. The only one who can evaluate success is you. I think as we focus on this idea we will improve beyond what we ever thought possible.

Shawn
2009-01-07 10:00 AM

User image

Pro

That is the point of the groups... TO WELCOME YOU INTO THE WORLD OF RUNNING, AND GUIDE YOU, and PUSH EACH OTHER!!!  I would say that most people feel this way the 1st couple times they go!  "JUST DO IT!"

Matt---- THANK YOU!  NICELY DONE!!

2009-01-07 12:15 PM
in reply to: #1891910

User image

Expert
Missouri
cadmus - 2009-01-07 9:48 AM

soccermom15 - 2009-01-07 6:38 AM Congrats on moving outside your comfort zone!  I've been considering something similar.  I also don't travel too far outside mine (sometimes I need a little push).  The LRS has group runs on Tuesday night that I would love to try out but I'm afraid of being left far behind.  It's a 5 mile run on a very hilly course and I don't want to embarass myself by not being able to keep up.  I can cover the distance, but there would be walking involved due to the hills.  I think I'm also afraid of feeling like an outsider.  I'm not the kind of person who can walk up to a stranger and start a conversation.  It would be nice to have someone to run with once in a while though - I think I would push myself more that way. 

Ok - here's the deal.  One of our LRS has a similar drop in run, also on Tuesdays, that I've been making excuses for not joining since the day I bought my first pair of shoes from them.  Next Tuesday I'm going and you should too - this is your 'little push'

Thanks for the push - I needed it!Smile  I just e-mailed the co-ordinator of these runs to ask her if I would fit in and she said people of all abilities show up (you know how sometimes these things say all abilities are welcome but it's not really true - apparently for this one it is).  Some people run/walk, some cut the route short if they don't think they can make it the whole way, and others do the normal route.  It's nice to know that I won't be "left on the course" when I go.  Afterwards whoever wants to gets together for a "snack" at a nearby restaurant.  I usually do a run on Tuesday nights anyway so I think I'll give it a try next week.

Janet

2009-01-07 12:45 PM

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario
You are all so awesome. So many plans and peolpe signing up for different races. I have signed up for a HIM in Sept this year. From what I have heard it is a very tough course. I don't think it would match the Savageman but I have heard a couple of people says it is tougher than some IH's they have done. SOOOO I am going to have to get my head in the right place and get out there and train. Oh yeah I am in the 55-59 age range so I am almost always starting in the last wave and don't have too many people to run over me.
One thing about signing up for a race is that once you have paid and committed to the race your mind will be constantly focusing on that race and what you have to do to get there. I think about the HIM I am registered for all the time. As amatter of fact I recently saw an hour long documentary on the race and it was tough looking and it was also raining very hard that day. Several of the professionals had to drop out for various reasons. Having said that a lot of people finished and it and watching the Kona Iron a couple of weeks ago have only instilled in me even more determination to train properly and complete the Muskoka Half Ironman.
Whatever you decide to do be it super sprints to IM's you will train hard and the satisfaction you will get from completing "YOUR" race will be as they say about mastercard. "Priceless".

Edited by Redknight 2009-01-07 12:55 PM
2009-01-07 7:33 PM

User image

Pro

OH NO!! We are turning into a back of the packer in this forum... Courtesy bump! 

Just trying to look out for my PEEPS!!!

Have a great, restful night, and remember to smile when you go to bed.  It helps you smile when you wake up!

2009-01-07 7:39 PM

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina

I had a similar experience today (speaking of being inspired and motivated).  People at work know that I do tri's and a group of young ones ( I am easily the old lady at 33, these are all the 20 somethings fresh out of school) decided they drank too much beer in college and want to get back into shape. They thought challenging me to a 5K would be a good way.  I keep telling them I am not fast, but they think beating me will be a big accomplishment.  I say this because it puts into perspective what we all have accomplished.  I spend so much time comparing my speeds and training volumes to other people that I have started to feel discouraged. But today after work my little group went for a run and they were struggling to do an 11min/mile pace for 2 miles.  I don't say this to brag, rather that it put into relief that my training has brought me to a level I wasn't at a few years ago and it is something  I should be proud of.  It's nice to inspire people and have them think beating you will be a very big deal because they recognize how hard doing ANY TYPE of tri is.  Point is, we should all be proud that we are out there doing the best we can and keep growing from the experience.

AND TREVOR, THAT IS SO COOL!  WAY TO GO!  I WOULD ARGUE DOING SOMETHING LIKE THAT IS FAR HARDER THAN A LONG DISTANCE BECAUSE THAT WILL CHANGE HOW YOU LIVE YOUR LIFE IN SO MANY OTHER AREAS.  GREAT JOB!!!

2009-01-07 8:52 PM
in reply to: #1893574

User image

Expert
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Virginia

Damn wife logging in on my computer... didn't even notice until I posted.

Edited by sdalessio 2009-01-07 8:52 PM

2009-01-07 8:53 PM
in reply to: #1893574

User image

Expert
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Virginia

GAHHH went and posted agin.. time to go to bed...

Edited by sdalessio 2009-01-07 8:54 PM
2009-01-07 8:55 PM
in reply to: #1893723

User image

Champion

3rd times a charm...

My joke wasn't even that funny... Was going to ask Tracey if she dropped the hammer on her coworkers and finished, ran to where they were and finished with them.

2009-01-07 9:35 PM
in reply to: #1893731

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
dalessit - 2009-01-07 9:55 PM

3rd times a charm...

My joke wasn't even that funny... Was going to ask Tracey if she dropped the hammer on her coworkers and finished, ran to where they were and finished with them.

That's tomorrow's challenge. Since I need to be doing longer distances I thought I would use our little outings as interval training and do 2 laps. That way I get 4 miles in doing sprint work and it is a more productive workout. 

I just did a Power Yoga session for an hour.  What a great way to stretch. To be honest, I think I fell asleep for a minute during the cool down stretch.  Guess I had better go to bed now.  Very calming and still a workout. Why can't running be like that?

2009-01-08 6:40 AM

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario
Tony can we keep your wife's avatar. Much better looking . Well maybe except for the little one in yours

Tracy. Sounds like you are having some fun again. That's great. Nice to have that little challenge.

The hockey I am playing this year is with guys my own age. Is it ever nice to play against someone in their 50's instead of the youngsters ( 20 - 30) I seem to have played with all my life. I am actually better than a lot of them. That, I know is thanks to playing with the young guys for so long and having so work hard to keep up. That and of course the great conditioning I get from tri training.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » swbkrun's group- CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 73