of 20

2010-06-11 11:20 AM
in reply to: #2915287

User image

Expert
Palm Bay
Subject: RE: BikerGrrrl's Group - CLOSED
BikerGrrrl - 2010-06-11 9:38 AM

Thanks for the pep talk, Steve.  You're totally right!  And last night I swam for a short while in the pool, trying not to stop or stand like I would have to do in OWS.  And I can do it!  Hopefully I'll never need to prove this

One of the things I was trying in the pool, was to round the turn and just barely touch with my feet, so I did not get a good push off the wall, since there are no walls in OWS...  It is a pain, since it is nice to get a good glide off the wall...

2010-06-11 1:30 PM
in reply to: #2769762

just read emily's post about people being MIA.

just as an update the doctors' still don't know what the beep  is wrong with me so i'm still restricted to what i can do.  i'm being sent to a hematologist next week since all the other avenues have come up dead ends.

i started back walking this week.  up until now i've been a big pouty baby.  an "if i can't run and do TRI things then i'm not doing anything" mentality.  walking is just so boring.  going to try to do a short, easy bike ride tomorrow and see if that's too much for me. 

janet - trust me i know how hard it is to back out of a race you'd planned on, but the important thing is knowing that you're doing the right thing no matter how hard it is!

steve - are you feeling any better.  last i read you were still having some pain issues

emily - thanks for doing all you can to help out!
2010-06-11 2:03 PM
in reply to: #2916185

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

Brooke - I totally understand and remember why you've not been around.  Sorry that you still don't have any answers!    I don't think a good pout is unreasonable   However, I hope you can find a way to still stay active while you're figuring things out.  Take care of yourself!

Edited by BikerGrrrl 2010-06-11 2:03 PM
2010-06-11 2:46 PM
in reply to: #2916273

BikerGrrrl - 2010-06-11 3:03 PM

Brooke - I totally understand and remember why you've not been around.  Sorry that you still don't have any answers!    I don't think a good pout is unreasonable   However, I hope you can find a way to still stay active while you're figuring things out.  Take care of yourself!

thanks.  i'm going to force the hematologist to AT THE LEAST give me a list of exercise i can do.
2010-06-11 4:45 PM
in reply to: #2916185

User image

Expert
Palm Bay
smartstrongsexy - 2010-06-11 2:30 PM just read emily's post about people being MIA.

steve - are you feeling any better.  last i read you were still having some pain issues

Still getting some pain on sides and my shoulder is still bothering me if I bring it straight up from the side.  PT is to strenghten my CORE to see if that makes pain go away...  Jury is still out on that.
2010-06-12 4:35 PM

User image

Elite
washington state
Sorry that I have not been very chatty.  I had a week of vacation with family in town.  Then we unexpectedly got a new puppy.  So two weeks of dealing with housebreaking, etc.  Then 10 days of vacation out of state. 

All very fun, but played havoc with my routines!  I did not workout at all while I was out of town even though I took my running gear.  We were on the go a lot, plus I came down with cold/sinus junk.  Still fighting that..... yuck!!

2010-06-12 4:43 PM

User image

Elite
washington state
I do enjoy reading the comments and reports from the group.  I just am such a newbie that I don't have much to add. 

I had thought about a small local tri on July 4th.  The swim is in a local lake.  But my training has been so hit or miss the last two months.  I also don't know if it would be warm enough to swim without a wetsuit.  I don't know if I have time to find and get used to a wetsuit before then.  Not  with trying to catch up at work after vacation.  (and picking back up with training the new puppy!)
2010-06-13 7:01 AM

User image

Expert
Palm Bay
I got in my workout this morning, pushed from yesterday...

If it is local, can you get a small group and do relay?  Or at least go watch and cheer, it may help get you back in the mode for training. 
2010-06-14 8:25 AM
in reply to: #2918207

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

Hi guys. 

Dee - I think you won't need a wetsuit, warmth-wise, unless it's known to be a pretty cold lake.  At least in Minnesota, the water temps are even warm enough to swim without one.  Not the most fun, sure   But doable - if you aren't big baby like me who needs the wetsuit to swim well!  However, if you aren't excited about that then going to watch is always a good idea! 

Good luck with that new puppy.  It's fun, but a lot of work - that's for sure!

2010-06-14 10:54 AM

User image

Expert
Missouri

Dee – hope you’re feeling better soon. 

Brooke – sorry you still don’t know what’s wrong.  I hope they can figure it out for you.  I know what you mean about walking.  It’s still good exercise, but it’s just not the same.

Emily – didn’t you have a tri this past weekend?  How’d it go?  Never mind, I just checked your logs.  Congrats on a great race and the win!  Looking forward to the RR!

Making the decision to back out of my tri was hard, but I know it was the right thing to do.  I feel like some of the stress I’ve been dealing with is gone since I don’t have to worry so much about making sure I’m ready for the race.  I have enough other stress to deal with right now, lol!  This way I’ll still do my training (because I want to and not because I feel like I have to), but if I miss a day here and there I’m not going to freak out about it. 

I re-started my strength training program over the weekend.  We’ll see how long I last this time, lol!  Usually I keep up with it for about 2 weeks or so and then slack off.  This time I’d really like to keep it up, so if you don’t see ST in my logs at least 2x a week, let me hear about it please!

2010-06-14 2:52 PM
in reply to: #2918207

otter_sh - 2010-06-13 8:01 AM I got in my workout this morning, pushed from yesterday...

If it is local, can you get a small group and do relay?  Or at least go watch and cheer, it may help get you back in the mode for training. 
'

i think watching sounds like a great idea!

this weekend i decided to give myself a couple of days off.  i did NOTHING.  i reheated leftovers for breakfast, ran the dishwasher, then unloaded it, and did an hour of yoga.  beyond that i didn't get off the couch.  it just made me feel more like crap.

today i got out and walked at lunch (it was almost too hot).  i went with a friend and she push my pace.  i feel better now than i have in a few days.

i got sick (potentially something bad i ate?) and went off my iron.  starting it back today. 

hematologist appt on Thursday and i will not leave until he gives me specifics about training.

2010-06-14 6:59 PM

User image

Expert
Palm Bay
I am traveling again...  Walked the Atlanta Airport this morning, arrived with 2 hours until flight, so I walked from 1 end to the other and back before heading to my gate.  Actually saved going to 2 other gates until the finalized where my outbound was going to leave from.  Don't know the distance, but I was breathing hard and sweating, so I worked a little with backpack and bag in tow.

Hot...  I am in Alamordo NM, when I arrived in El Paso it was 96, was much warmer on the cement pad where we work.  Wife said it was feeling like 100 in Florida also with heat and humidity, here we have no humidity...  High Desert....
2010-06-15 11:09 AM

the heat/humidity is killer here too.  over 100 two days in a row.

i'm just about to head to the community center and try out my weights class.  hopefully i'll be able to do it.
2010-06-16 7:29 AM
in reply to: #2922798

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

Good Morning everyone!

Brooke - how did the strength class go?

That stinks about the heat you guys have to deal with.  We've had pretty cool weather the past few days, so it seems like every day that it gets warm again I have to reacclimate.  But I will take one crummy run versus consistent heat!  That's for sure.

Steve - I love that you mentioned walking the airport.  I have often considered the idea of bringing my running shoes and just going for it.  When I was at the airport, earlyish, recently I decided to walk to an ATM that I knew was near a certain gate but pretty far from where I at the time.  It was nice to stretch my legs.

I am now finished with my "tune-up" races and have a solid four weeks of training left before the big HIM.  Fortunately my Oly race felt very manageable, so I hope that means the half iron is within reach.  Although I still have a lot of training to help me along   I am enjoying a "down week" of "only" 6 hours of training.  I remember not too long ago that 6 hours seemed insurmountable.  Isn't the body an amazing adapter.

2010-06-16 10:12 AM

User image

Elite
washington state
Enjoy your "easy" week, Emily.  GI am sure you will do well on your HIM.

I am still fighting some sinus crud, cold rainy weather, and the general blahs!  But I have laid out my workouts for the rest of the month, so we shall see.

2010-06-16 10:27 AM

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
Thanks Dee. Good luck with your plan!

2010-06-16 1:10 PM

strength class was too hard (they do lots of reps w/o rest) but the pilates class today was perfect.  going to the doc tomorrow and depending on what he says i'm gonna start doing weights on my own.  that way my pace can be comfortable.

dee- having a plan is the first step! 

2010-06-17 9:22 AM

User image

Elite
washington state
Well, day one of my plan is completed.  First run in 2 1/2 weeks!  It was on the treadmill so I go too hot but it was okay.  Today I am supposed to swim with my coached group.  It's been 3 weeks since I swam.  Since I am also really cutting back my calories this week (gotta drop the vacation pounds!), I am hoping I will have the energy to do the whole hour.

Brooke, that is great about the Pilates class.  I am glad that you found something that will work for you.
2010-06-17 10:20 AM
in reply to: #2925885

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

I often feel gym classes are too intense, so I hear ya.  I am glad you found something that fit your needs!  Good luck with the Dr. appt.

smartstrongsexy - 2010-06-16 1:10 PM

strength class was too hard (they do lots of reps w/o rest) but the pilates class today was perfect.  going to the doc tomorrow and depending on what he says i'm gonna start doing weights on my own.  that way my pace can be comfortable.

dee- having a plan is the first step! 

2010-06-17 10:20 AM
in reply to: #2927564

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

Woo-hoo!     Hope the swim goes well!

deehtz - 2010-06-17 9:22 AM Well, day one of my plan is completed.  First run in 2 1/2 weeks!  It was on the treadmill so I go too hot but it was okay.  Today I am supposed to swim with my coached group.  It's been 3 weeks since I swam.  Since I am also really cutting back my calories this week (gotta drop the vacation pounds!), I am hoping I will have the energy to do the whole hour.

Brooke, that is great about the Pilates class.  I am glad that you found something that will work for you.

2010-06-17 2:16 PM

User image

Expert
Missouri
I've tried a couple of gym classes too.  I like the fact that someone is there telling me what to do so I don't really have to think about what's next (I'm a little lazy that waySmile), but they all seem to be either too hard or way too easy.  I did take a Pilates class last winter that I liked, but the class times just didn't work too well for me so I didn't sign up again after the session ended.  I wish I could find a class like that that worked with my schedule.

So, my leg is just about healed up, YEAH!!  I did an easy ride on the stationary at the gym yesterday with no issues so I'm ready to get back on the road bike and back in the pool.  I don't think I realized just how much I was going to miss my morning swims - I'm usually complaining about having to get up that early, lol. 

2010-06-17 5:25 PM

User image

Expert
Palm Bay
I'm back...  I think PT is like a gym class, I feel like I had a massive core workout after it. 

Glad to be home in the humid heat and not the dry heat....  Some kind of workout tomorrow....
2010-06-17 5:39 PM
in reply to: #2929032

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

Good news about the leg, Janet!

Glad you're happy to be home, Steve.  

We are working on some insane weather right now - two (or more?) fronts causing wind, hail, etc.     I'd like to go home, but a friend I work out with wants to run.   We won't really be foolish, but she wants to decide at the last min.  Great.

2010-06-17 7:19 PM
in reply to: #2929061

User image

Elite
washington state
BikerGrrrl - 2010-06-17 3:39 PM

Good news about the leg, Janet!

Glad you're happy to be home, Steve.  

We are working on some insane weather right now - two (or more?) fronts causing wind, hail, etc.     I'd like to go home, but a friend I work out with wants to run.   We won't really be foolish, but she wants to decide at the last min.  Great.

Yikes!  Be Safe, Emily!
2010-06-17 7:21 PM
in reply to: #2929032

User image

Elite
washington state
otter_sh - 2010-06-17 3:25 PM I'm back...  I think PT is like a gym class, I feel like I had a massive core workout after it. 

Glad to be home in the humid heat and not the dry heat....  Some kind of workout tomorrow....

LOL -   I'm the opposite ... give me the dry heat  any time over the humid heat!  Of course, where I live heat usually isn't an issue.  It is usually cool and damp.  We are still in the 50's here.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » BikerGrrrl's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 20