BT Development Mentor Program Archives » JuniperJen's Keeping It Consistent Group - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 35

2011-01-20 10:27 AM
in reply to: #3310933

User image

Pro
Houston
Subject: RE: JuniperJen's Keeping It Consistent Group - FULL
debbiereid06 - 2011-01-20 10:05 AM I guess for me I just got tired of sitting around.  We have been trying to get pregnant since June and I had in my mind that i was going to half a** it because I was going to be pregnant.  Well, 9 months later I am not and now i have changed my mindset.  I just can't sit around and wait for somehting that may or may not happen.  So why not train and be healthy and if I do great, I can still train and if I don't i will get the body i had before I got pregnant the first time back. 

I really am ready to do the runs I have lined up in March and April and want to find a descent sprint in my area possibly for May.  So I am sticking to it and ready to go this time!  And a lot of women train and race while pregnant tooLaughing

While I wasn't trianing for tri's I was in the best shape of my life when I got pregnant with #3.  I trained through the entire pregnancy and know it helped me with labor/recovery and getting back in the gym (3 weeks later).  I would imagine it is difficult being in limbo but keeping the body moving is good for your body and your mind.  Setting a goal is a great idea, sign up!

2011-01-20 10:36 AM
in reply to: #3310475

User image

Memphis
juniperjen - 2011-01-20 7:11 AM Hi Guys,

We seem to be slowing down when it comes to chattiness here - so i thought i might as a question.

About movitation - if you're finding you're hitting all of your workouts and feeling confident - what's your motivation right now? What is driving you?  And if you're not, what seems to be keeping you from getting out the door?

Well...motivation...I'm getting the workouts in, but have sort of created my own training plan...long story I will pick up in about another week on "moderate week" training...mainly moving to doubles.
Motivation is super low right now. I mainly feel heavy and tired, and although am starting to feel ok about my pace/times for the sprint race, I'm not seeing increases in comfort or speed or whatever like I feel like I have in the past. Looking for some tips to increase motivation, for sure! Would love to have a partner or a coach, a "live" motivator!!! Foot in mouth
2011-01-20 1:34 PM
in reply to: #3257308

User image

Expert
Canada
Well, I took the afternoon off!!  Went to gym early & did another hour on the bike.  My non-running month is starting to build on me!!  My candy a$$ is begging me to stop biking!!  I'm not used to biking daily for an hour, on a flat, big exercise bike seat!!Yell

Oh well, gotta HTFU & keep going.  Gotta say, it will improve my bike mileage for this year!!

Tomorrow will be either rest or short bike, depending on what time I finish work.

Cool 
2011-01-20 1:48 PM

User image

Expert
Canada
juniperjen - 2011-01-20 9:11 AM Hi Guys,

We seem to be slowing down when it comes to chattiness here - so i thought i might as a question.

About movitation - if you're finding you're hitting all of your workouts and feeling confident - what's your motivation right now? What is driving you?  And if you're not, what seems to be keeping you from getting out the door?

I have no immediate race...Assuming my knee improves, my next race will be several running races, in spring.  Earliest will be End April.

I run & bike for stress relief.  My job pi$$es me off sometimes.  Some of my best thinking occurs on an hour run.  I need it for sanity!

My second motivation is pure vanity & family wishes.  I have been 250 pounds a few years ago & am not going back there.  For my height & build, under 200 is ghastly.  When I was running a lot & weighed 195, my lowest since I was a teen, folks would kid with me "When are you finished the chemo?"  What an awful thing to say, but does bring up the point.  I am good at about 210ish, especially for an old man. I am at about 220 now.  Gotta keep working to look trim, healthy & good.  My wife & kids worried about me when I was 250.  They are my biggest impetus for keeping going.  My wife still remarks..."No, your not getting a second dessert"  & gives me a stern look.  She knows best!  I want to see my kids grow up & maybe run with their kids.  I won't get to 104, as my neighbor is, but heck, I can try!!

Finally, I do have a bit of a competitive streak.  I take pride in occasionally taking a youngin' to school on our Sunday morning runs or in cycling Time trials, in the summer.  Plenty of them take me to school, as well, but occasionally I get them & I like that.

Those are some of my motivations...

Next...

Edited by GoGoGo 2011-01-20 1:50 PM
2011-01-20 1:55 PM
in reply to: #3310800

User image

Expert
Canada
Kristen8040 - 2011-01-20 11:26 AM 
I feel like I'm in a really inbetween area right now.  Half marathon training is supposed to start in a few days which will bring my run workouts up to 4 or 5 but I'm having a lot of pain in my knee recently so I'm headed to the doctor tonight.  I can't imagine having to take off awhile from running, it's actually upsetting.  I know it's not the end of the world and there are other things I can do, but it's really frustrating and I'd hate to not be able to run this race or run it underprepared.  On the other hand, this wedding has really got me motivated to lift more which I think will be beneficial to all areas of triathlon.  

Kristen, I am there now.  It is not so bad.  I am settling into cycling.   You gotta roll with the punches & keep going.

If the MD tells you not to run for a month, look at it as an excuse to improve your swim & bike.  You may look back o it & think, that really helped me in a strange sort of way.

Bottom line...see the positive, not negative!

R

Ps.   when is wedding?
2011-01-20 3:04 PM

Cold Lake
juniperjen - 2011-01-20 6:11 AM Hi Guys,

I put on a pair of yoga pants yesterday and they were baggy! Surprised

I had been feeling a little unmotivated earlier this week but then I put those pants on to go curling on tuesday night and found my new motivation. I've fighting a head cold so this week has not been that energetic but I have realized that I do feel better after a workout even if it is a just a little one.  I had a good swim last night after lessons and the head cold seems to be almost gone today.

I teach swim lessons on Mon/Wed evenings and am in the water for 2.5 hours with the kids and I think that's had a little to do with my pants getting bigger. I'm treading water and swimming back and forth pretty much the whole time so it kinda sneaks in there as an extra workout I guess.

My hubby is a pretty good motivator as well. He's military and a former personal trainer so he's always pushing me to keep up with my plans. I'm a lucky girl.

2011-01-20 3:50 PM
in reply to: #3311824

User image

Champion
Calgary
hooliemay - 2011-01-20 2:04 PM

juniperjen - 2011-01-20 6:11 AM Hi Guys,

I put on a pair of yoga pants yesterday and they were baggy! Surprised

I had been feeling a little unmotivated earlier this week but then I put those pants on to go curling on tuesday night and found my new motivation. I've fighting a head cold so this week has not been that energetic but I have realized that I do feel better after a workout even if it is a just a little one.  I had a good swim last night after lessons and the head cold seems to be almost gone today.

I teach swim lessons on Mon/Wed evenings and am in the water for 2.5 hours with the kids and I think that's had a little to do with my pants getting bigger. I'm treading water and swimming back and forth pretty much the whole time so it kinda sneaks in there as an extra workout I guess.

My hubby is a pretty good motivator as well. He's military and a former personal trainer so he's always pushing me to keep up with my plans. I'm a lucky girl.

Oh my, your alive. Yeah. Do you use the log on BT, you have your permissions set so I can't see it unless you put me down as a friend. Just saying, you know, if you want to.
2011-01-20 4:40 PM

Cold Lake
that's wierd, I thought I had set everyone in the group as friends... I'll do that again right away. I am alive and I do use the BT log Laughing
2011-01-20 4:43 PM

User image

Expert
Canada
No fighting now!

You guys are  both in Alberta. You're practically neighbours!

Innocent 
2011-01-20 6:03 PM
in reply to: #3312060

User image

Champion
Calgary
hooliemay - 2011-01-20 3:40 PM

that's wierd, I thought I had set everyone in the group as friends... I'll do that again right away. I am alive and I do use the BT log Laughing

Ahhhh I can see you now. Whaaaa ha ha ha.
2011-01-20 7:12 PM

User image

Veteran
South Shore, MA
juniperjen - 2011-01-20 8:11 AM Hi Guys,

I feel so much better after working out, both mentally and physically.  I love that tingly feeling I get the rest of the day after a good workout!  It gives me sanity and helps me be a better mom and wife!  Having a deadline (race date) is also hugely motivating for me.  The 30-60 minutes that I workout on any day is time for MYSELF (I'm often doing things for my children) and it's good for my health!  I'm also competitive... Tongue out

2011-01-20 7:14 PM
in reply to: #3312312

User image

Veteran
South Shore, MA
kpringle - 2011-01-20 8:12 PM

I feel so much better after working out, both mentally and physically.  I love that tingly feeling I get the rest of the day after a good workout!  It gives me sanity and helps me be a better mom and wife!  Having a deadline (race date) is also hugely motivating for me.  The 30-60 minutes that I workout on any day is time for MYSELF (I'm often doing things for my children) and it's good for my health!  I'm also competitive... Tongue out

Oops, I forgot to mention that I have my 20 year high school reunion coming up in July, so that is very motivating, too!!  (Hope that doesn't come across as too shallow!)
2011-01-21 7:11 AM
in reply to: #3312316

User image

Veteran
South Shore, MA
Workout Plan Update:

Mon - Run
Tues - 1 hour spin class
Wed - 30 min swim - ended up being 25 mins
Thurs - 1 hour spin class
Fri - run in PM (optional) - have volunteered to read at my daughter's nursery school so I won't do my "regular" Fri workout at gym in AM - we will see...  lots of snow coming down right now.  schools are closed.  not sure if my gym will be open this evening.
Sat - 1 hour Masters swim
Sun - 1 hour spin class and short run

I normally don't mind winter weather, but this year's winter is ridiculous!
2011-01-21 8:41 AM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
kpringle - 2011-01-20 8:14 PM

Oops, I forgot to mention that I have my 20 year high school reunion coming up in July, so that is very motivating, too!!  (Hope that doesn't come across as too shallow!)

Not at all - getting married last year was good motivation to keep up with my training plan! It's more what happens after but you have a while before you have to worry about that!
2011-01-21 8:42 AM
in reply to: #3312839

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
kpringle - 2011-01-21 8:11 AM Workout Plan Update:

Mon - Run
Tues - 1 hour spin class
Wed - 30 min swim - ended up being 25 mins
Thurs - 1 hour spin class
Fri - run in PM (optional) - have volunteered to read at my daughter's nursery school so I won't do my "regular" Fri workout at gym in AM - we will see...  lots of snow coming down right now.  schools are closed.  not sure if my gym will be open this evening.
Sat - 1 hour Masters swim
Sun - 1 hour spin class and short run

I normally don't mind winter weather, but this year's winter is ridiculous!

I agree - we had a non-winter last year which was great for running but not much else - but apparently La Nina is wreaking havoc this year.
2011-01-21 8:43 AM
in reply to: #3312060

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
hooliemay - 2011-01-20 5:40 PM that's wierd, I thought I had set everyone in the group as friends... I'll do that again right away. I am alive and I do use the BT log Laughing

Excellent! I can see you now!  Great work on all that pool time!

2011-01-21 9:14 AM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
Here's my plan update:

Plan update:

Mon: swim, bike
Tues: run hills- Wed instead
Wed: swim, yoga (optional) - swim rescheduled to the weekend - didn't happen, ran instead. Move swim to the weekend but turns out that's optional for the week.
Thurs: run, swim group
Fri: yoga (optional) - will run tonight
Sat: long run
Sun: bike

Still manageable!
2011-01-21 9:20 AM

User image

Pro
Houston
kpringle - 2011-01-20 7:14 PM Oops, I forgot to mention that I have my 20 year high school reunion coming up in July, so that is very motivating, too!!  (Hope that doesn't come across as too shallow!)

Not at all!  Went to my 20th when #5 was just 4 months old or so, talk about motivation!

(reunionSm.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
reunionSm.JPG (46KB - 7 downloads)
2011-01-21 9:45 AM

User image

Memphis
MOTIVATION:

had been at an all-time low. Was TOTALLY exhausted yesterday - was snowing hard so decided to call it an off day. Decided to get in to bed EARLY - slept at least 9 hours last night - and woke up feeling human again!!! So glad - I think decent sleep is going to be one of the keys for me.

Glad to have discovered this
2011-01-21 9:50 AM
in reply to: #3313169

User image

Pro
Houston
mylissahorrocks - 2011-01-21 9:45 AM MOTIVATION:

had been at an all-time low. Was TOTALLY exhausted yesterday - was snowing hard so decided to call it an off day. Decided to get in to bed EARLY - slept at least 9 hours last night - and woke up feeling human again!!! So glad - I think decent sleep is going to be one of the keys for me.

Glad to have discovered this

I really feel for you folks who live where it is cold/snowy.  It is 32 here today and I am miserable and have a hard time getting moving!

I agree sleep is sleep is hugely important.
2011-01-21 11:10 AM
in reply to: #3313108

User image

Veteran
South Shore, MA
KeriKadi - 2011-01-21 10:20 AM
kpringle - 2011-01-20 7:14 PM Oops, I forgot to mention that I have my 20 year high school reunion coming up in July, so that is very motivating, too!!  (Hope that doesn't come across as too shallow!)

Not at all!  Went to my 20th when #5 was just 4 months old or so, talk about motivation!

Wow, good for you!!  That IS motivation!  What a great picture by the way...  Such a handsome family!  And can NOT believe how great you look with 5 kids and 4 months after having a baby!!  

2011-01-21 1:32 PM

Cold Lake
I just want to feel better Frown I woke up this morning with almost no voice whatsoever and didn't sleep much last night either. I was supposed to do my practical exam this morning at a pool staff meeting by leading the rest of the guards in an aquafit class. That did not happen since I don't think sending in a tape of me miming the different moves would award me a passing grade... Guess I'll just have to teach one of the senior's classes in the next couple of weeks and send that in instead.

Winter... it's ridiculous this year. We've had an unreal amount of snow this year. It has snowed almost every day since before Christmas and been real cold at the same time. It's usually just cold. Supposed to be near freezing next week so maybe we'll actually get outside and try an outdoor run.

Keri ~ You look fabulous in that photo. Great dress! My son is 2 1/2 and I'm almost back to my pre pregnancy body :D
2011-01-21 2:01 PM

User image

Expert
Canada
As per my weekly "plan", I took rest day.  Hopefully Spin sat & sun.

Have a good week-end , fellow mentees & mentor!!
2011-01-21 2:48 PM

User image

Veteran
kpringle - 2011-01-20 7:14 PM

I don't think it is shallow at all!!!  My sister is getting married in May and I want to be looking good for the wedding when I am standing up on that alter in a hot pink dressTongue out
2011-01-21 4:48 PM

User image

Champion
Calgary
Have a good weekend everyone. Looking forward to some snowshoeing on saturday and a long run on sunday.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » JuniperJen's Keeping It Consistent Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 35