BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Fred D and Queen Zipp's SWIM, BIKE RUN consistency thread.... CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 64

2013-01-15 7:10 PM
in reply to: #4580101

User image

Extreme Veteran
England
Subject: RE: Fred D and Queen Zipp's SWIM, BIKE RUN consistency thread.... CLOSED

Fred D - 2013-01-15 11:38 PM
chapfallen - 2013-01-15 2:19 PM We've had two days of snow, which didn't impact on my turbo session this morning but may put paid to my running plans for tomorrow. I'm going to see what it looks like. I do have yak tracks but I've never tried running in them. Could be an interesting new experience.

For those of you in colder climes, do you run on snow and ice or do you stick to treadmill running?

Thanks for the comments on strength training. I've done body weight stuff in the past, but I'm getting the impression from my reading that adding weight is essential to really see strength gains and I think the main thing lacking for me now is power. I'm just trying to figure out the best way to "fix" that.
I think strength training can be a really good thing for overall fitness and somewhat for injury prevention. I do NOT feel that strength training helps in power with respect to triathlon. For instance power on the bicycle is largely not affected by strength training. I've raced at the very, very pointy end of the cycling level in triathlon, often having one of the best bike splits in my age group in any given race and I never do much in the way of strength training. Again, it can be really helpful to strength train, but not from the perspective of getting more powerful in the sport of triathlon. Just my 2 cents, but I've been in countless debates and discussions on this subject.

I take your point, but I'm also willing to bet you're considerably stronger than I am (or possibly better power to weight ratio).  The reason I've decided to see if strength training helps is because I consistently run out of legs before I come close to running out of aerobic fitness.  I think it's my limiting factor, and so I'm trying to work on it.  It may not help, but for the benefits that you mentioned above, I don't think it can hurt...  I'm not just doing weights stuff.  I'm also trying to do sport specific strength stuff, eg strength sets on the turbo, hill repeats for running, and pool based strength for swimming.  It definitely improved my swimming last year, so I just have to see if I can do the same for the others.

2013-01-15 7:15 PM
in reply to: #4580117

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Subject: RE: Fred D and Queen Zipp's SWIM, BIKE RUN consistency thread.... CLOSED
enders_shadow - 2013-01-15 6:55 PM
QueenZipp - 2013-01-15 6:17 PM

Kristen did a du at a race I did the Oly a few years ago where it was over 100 degrees at the start.  Water temp was over 90.  It sucked.  Best part of the day was ice sponges being handed out.  I had about 4 of them in unusual places to try and keep cool. It didn't make it any safer for us out there.  Horrible. 

OMG - I had repressed that memory. I was hurling during the run and in rough shape at the end...saved by a friend volunteering at the finish line who realized I was not in a good place. The sponges did NOT make up for it.

I just remember that godawful elevated bridge we had to cross over twice and my screaming how terrified I am of heights when I saw you! And the crazy hill at the turn around on the run......and all the freaking STAIRS on that course.  (any wonder why I don't race this race again?  THE RUN COURSE SUCKS) The sponges helped.....the mist thing at the finish helped.......but it was a sufferfest to be sure.

We were supposed to have a few BT'er's over for a pool party post race and wound up staying inside cause the pool was warmer than a bath tub.

2013-01-15 7:17 PM
in reply to: #4580160

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2013-01-15 7:20 PM
in reply to: #4579893

2013-01-15 7:34 PM
in reply to: #4580074

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
drfoodlove - 2013-01-15 5:10 PM

I am generally very cautious about running/walking outside in the snow or ice.  I took a bad spill once, so whenever there is anything on the road, I'm inside (hopefully not on the couch!).

I read a while ago on another site that there is an "ideal" temp for running outside (55F if you are interested).  What do you guys think?  Do you have a minimum temp threshold for you to go outside?  I saw a couple of guys over in TT talking about going out at -12F, which I think is crazy!!  Is there a down side to training outside when it is really cold?  I've been doing my runs outside so far, whatever the temp, but bike inside unless it is really nice because of the wind chill. 

I've run outside in -35F windchills, but I find anything longer than an hour and my hands can't handle it.   The key for me is layering, wearing an UnderArmour face mask and starting into the wind.    I don't mind the TM, but I miss the fresh air if I am stuck inside all the time in the winter.

I am a cold weather weenie when it comes to the bike though.  If it's below 40F with no chance of it warming up the longer I ride, I head to the CT. 

I am curious why 55F is the ideal temp???? details.  

2013-01-15 8:05 PM
in reply to: #4580244

Extreme Veteran
Villanova

I like to run in cooler temps.  I find it keeps my body temp down and I don't overheat, which is one of my battles when running.  Like to run in anything 20 degrees F to 80 degrees F.  Sweet spot is in the 40s and 50s.

Biking i prefer the heat.

Swimming I actually like the cold.  

LOVE LOVE LOVE running in the rain.  Especially in warmer weather.  

2013-01-15 8:07 PM
in reply to: #4580244

Carbondale, Illinois
SSMinnow - 2013-01-15 7:34

I am curious why 55F is the ideal temp???? details.  

55F is the temp at which you expend the least amount of energy on body temperature regulation while running, so you are most efficient. Much warmer and you expend a lot of energy cooling yourself, and much colder you have to warm yourself.

I also found this interesting paper (quite literally a student's term paper)online that suggests the longer the race, the cooler the ideal temp, based an analysis of the top 25 finishing times for males and females at different distances.

Here is a link is you are interested, although he doesn't really go into reasons why.

http://runjeffcity.org/archive/Optimum-Temperature-for-Running-Performance.pdf

2013-01-15 8:44 PM
in reply to: #4580214

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
chapfallen - 2013-01-15 8:10 PM

chapfallen - 2013-01-15 2:19 PM We've had two days of snow, which didn't impact on my turbo session this morning but may put paid to my running plans for tomorrow. I'm going to see what it looks like. I do have yak tracks but I've never tried running in them. Could be an interesting new experience.

For those of you in colder climes, do you run on snow and ice or do you stick to treadmill running?

Thanks for the comments on strength training. I've done body weight stuff in the past, but I'm getting the impression from my reading that adding weight is essential to really see strength gains and I think the main thing lacking for me now is power. I'm just trying to figure out the best way to "fix" that.
I think strength training can be a really good thing for overall fitness and somewhat for injury prevention. I do NOT feel that strength training helps in power with respect to triathlon. For instance power on the bicycle is largely not affected by strength training. I've raced at the very, very pointy end of the cycling level in triathlon, often having one of the best bike splits in my age group in any given race and I never do much in the way of strength training. Again, it can be really helpful to strength train, but not from the perspective of getting more powerful in the sport of triathlon. Just my 2 cents, but I've been in countless debates and discussions on this subject.

I take your point, but I'm also willing to bet you're considerably stronger than I am (or possibly better power to weight ratio).  The reason I've decided to see if strength training helps is because I consistently run out of legs before I come close to running out of aerobic fitness.  I think it's my limiting factor, and so I'm trying to work on it.  It may not help, but for the benefits that you mentioned above, I don't think it can hurt...  I'm not just doing weights stuff.  I'm also trying to do sport specific strength stuff, eg strength sets on the turbo, hill repeats for running, and pool based strength for swimming.  It definitely improved my swimming last year, so I just have to see if I can do the same for the others.

That's key (the part I bolded).  I agree with Fred that getting 'strong' in the weightlifting sense is not going to do much for you unless you have a very specific problem (such as severe atrophy, such as what you get after a knee operation).

The 'technical' definition of strength is 'how much you can lift once'.  This sort of strength has basically nothing to do with performance in endurance sport.

Runners often use the term 'strength' in a very different way, and it means something more like 'ability to maintain pace without the legs giving out'.  Obviously similar concepts apply in swimming and biking.  And yes, the way to get 'strong' in this sense is to do things like hill repeats.

Running temps:  I love running no matter the temperature, but I perform best at around 45-50 degrees.  That's not a very common race temperature in these parts, however...

2013-01-16 5:56 AM
in reply to: #4549087

Champion
Out running or enjoying a fine glass of red...
Warm Bed >>> Trainer

Alarm Clock = 1; My Mojo = 0

Wednesday's are kind of nutty days at work + kid activity in the evening...I always have higher hopes than follow-through. I probably should just rejigger my training plan around Wednesdays.

May get to sneak in an itty bitty trainer ride before dinner if hubby takes Younger to gymnastics & my faculty meeting doesn't go forever.

2013-01-16 6:38 AM
in reply to: #4580559

Carbondale, Illinois
enders_shadow - 2013-01-16 5:56 AM & my faculty meeting doesn't go forever.

HAHAHAHA! That was a joke, right?

Edited by drfoodlove 2013-01-16 6:38 AM

2013-01-16 6:48 AM

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Got up at the crack of stupid and hit the treadmill .....it's raining so much that I am waiting for Noah and the ark to float by any day now.  Did a challenging dore work set post run.  Have a sick Thing.....the joys of parenting.  At least I don't have a kling-on sick Thing.  She is past that stage.

2013-01-16 7:30 AM
in reply to: #4580559

2013-01-16 7:33 AM

2013-01-16 8:47 AM

Master
Orlando
Started the day off with a nice swim. Too bad the pool temp is so high - mid80s, makes for tough going at times. Will finish the day off with an after work TRX class.Regarding the perfect running temp, I love the 50s, but we rarely get that "cold". For the past 2 weeks or so, the low temp around here has been in the 60s. I'm hoping for a cold front to come through soon though
2013-01-16 9:08 AM
in reply to: #4580336

Extreme Veteran
Villanova
Experior - 2013-01-15 8:44 PM

That's key (the part I bolded).  I agree with Fred that getting 'strong' in the weightlifting sense is not going to do much for you unless you have a very specific problem (such as severe atrophy, such as what you get after a knee operation).

The 'technical' definition of strength is 'how much you can lift once'.  This sort of strength has basically nothing to do with performance in endurance sport.

Runners often use the term 'strength' in a very different way, and it means something more like 'ability to maintain pace without the legs giving out'.  Obviously similar concepts apply in swimming and biking.  And yes, the way to get 'strong' in this sense is to do things like hill repeats.

Running temps:  I love running no matter the temperature, but I perform best at around 45-50 degrees.  That's not a very common race temperature in these parts, however...

Interesting thoughts that pertain to a question that I've been having.  I have some knee pain in both my left and right knees (more in my left).  It never bothers me when actively running or biking, but I can feel it after a workout.  I've been reading that squatting and building muscle would help with this.  Would that fall in with the line of thinking you have?

2013-01-16 9:53 AM
in reply to: #4580591

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
drfoodlove - 2013-01-16 7:38 AM
enders_shadow - 2013-01-16 5:56 AM & my faculty meeting doesn't go forever.

HAHAHAHA! That was a joke, right?

Some faculty meetings are long by nature, and others have length thrust upon them...

2013-01-16 10:00 AM
in reply to: #4580821

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
japewang - 2013-01-16 10:08 AM
Experior - 2013-01-15 8:44 PM

Interesting thoughts that pertain to a question that I've been having.  I have some knee pain in both my left and right knees (more in my left).  It never bothers me when actively running or biking, but I can feel it after a workout.  I've been reading that squatting and building muscle would help with this.  Would that fall in with the line of thinking you have?

Some joint pain can be helped with muscular strength to 'support' the joint.  Other joint pain cannot be helped in this way.

If by squatting you mean doing traditional squats (put a big load of weight on your shoulders and squat down then stand up) you will want to be VERY careful.  That's a good way to aggravate any knee problems, even when the squats are done correctly (and doing them correctly is harder than many people seem to think).

But there are other ways -- less dangerous ways -- to build muscular strength around the knees.  Hill repeats on the bike is a great one for quads and calfs.  Running is good for hamstrings.  If you have a big muscular imbalance (for most people who bike a lot this would be quads >>> hamstrings) you could consider doing some hamstring exercises in the gym.  Low weight, high reps, done evenly and slowly.

All just IMHO, of course.

Back to work.  Crazy, crazy, work.

2013-01-16 4:21 PM

2013-01-16 5:27 PM
in reply to: #4581628

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Fred D - 2013-01-16 5:21 PM Crazy day at work and yet got some training in. Here is a link to my bike it. I'm not dialed in very well right now, let me know if anyone has any thoughts. I posted in SBR utopia as well. http://youtu.be/OUs9MlmIGms

Lookslike a nice bike.  Are there any spots that don't feel right?

2013-01-16 6:08 PM

Expert

first swim is in the books!  I'm happy to say I felt real good, and my stroke felt pretty good too despite the layoff.  Not that I ever really had good form, but it seems to be about where it was before.  I did one timed 100yd at 1:55 which is right in line with where my extended swim pace was before.  This time of course I had to stop after the single 100 though...  Only did 30 minutes, just getting back into it today.  Think I'll go back tomorrow morning (I can go 2x/week maximum).

Unfortunately the day got away from me and I didn't get my run in.  I'm shuttling kids around to various things the rest of the day, then home for dinner and all that.  I might try and uncover the treadmill and just use it right where it is (out in the depths of the garage somewhere).  I'd like to get it in the house and going again for days like this where I don't have time for the run until after the day is done.  

david.

2013-01-16 6:30 PM

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Great work on the swim, David.

I am swimming tomorrow.  Found out last week that my coach is leaving.  While I don't always like his sets (IM stuff) he's a good coach and communicates well when he makes changes to things.  I understand the how and why of the change.  I asked at the gym the other day if the guy who fills in for him is taking the class over.  J.  knows swimming but doesn't really interact to make changes.  He will cover for a while, but isn't taking it over.  He said that the first guy that I had coaching me is coming back. So.not.happy about this.  He doesn't communicate well.  He would say "good job" at the end of the workout but if I asked a question would jump in my face about how lousy I am.....but not offer anything other than touch up drill to correct it.  Heh, I refuse to do that drill now....led to cross over.  We shall see.....I have 2 more years on this gym contract and stayed there because I like the coach (the one that's leaving).  Sigh.

2013-01-16 9:25 PM
in reply to: #4581628

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina

Fred D - 2013-01-16 5:21 PM Crazy day at work and yet got some training in. Here is a link to my bike it. I'm not dialed in very well right now, let me know if anyone has any thoughts. I posted in SBR utopia as well. http://youtu.be/OUs9MlmIGms

Fred,I'm finding this difficult to diagnose.  (Not that I'm an expert...)  It does look funny, and there is a fair amount of 'excess' motion in your shoulders, which encourages the idea that something isn't 100% right.  (Trainers emphasize that extra motion, but even so, it looks like a lot to me.)  After some thought, I think maybe your seat is too far back?  If you were to move it up, you'd get the added benefit of (probably) being able to raise it a tad.  You look like you are reaching a bit for the bars.  And that would certainly cause your shoulders to rock a bit.

Overall you look strong.  I wouldn't make radical changes.

2013-01-16 9:49 PM

Elite
washington state
My workout was aerobics today.  It felt good to move and stretch out my sore muscles from the last two days of strength training.  Tomorrow, the plan is to swim.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Fred D and Queen Zipp's SWIM, BIKE RUN consistency thread.... CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 64