BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia ~~~~ Permanently OPEN!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 114

2014-06-23 7:42 AM
in reply to: BrotherTri

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada
Subject: RE: SBR Utopia ~~~~ Permanently OPEN!!

Great job James!  I look forward to reading all about it.

I had a good 3 hour ride with Tab yesterday.  My knee still didn't like pushing any hard efforts but was fine otherwise - didn't try any running.  Biked to the pool this morning, swam and then rode back home. The pool doesn't open until 6:30am now so I'm going to have to get creative with swim workouts.  All winter I've been going at 5:30, then driving back home to drive Tab to work.  A 6:30 opening doesn't give me enough time so I'm going to try the bike commute option.  Working from home this week (for an online course) gives me a little extra saddle time.

2014-06-23 12:17 PM
in reply to: BrotherTri

User image

Expert
Norton Shores, MI

Originally posted by BrotherTri Thanks all! 2 hr away from home and switched driving duties. Syracuse Run is brutal! I ended up with a 1:58 run. I had some issues and probable pushed the bike to hard. But, I would not have changed a thing. OA finish was 300 something an 18/118 50-54 AG. Great challenging race and great venue. The after food really suxed. More later......

Great race James!

I have heard that the Syracuse run is pretty rough and sounds like it might have been warm out too. 

2014-06-23 2:16 PM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Great job James.  Look forward to the report.

2014-06-23 2:18 PM
in reply to: Jason N

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2014-06-23 2:20 PM

This weekend wasn't supposed to be anything crazy...but my legs felt really flat.  Part of it might just be mentally worrying, but the power and HR numbers also don't lie.  I slept like a rock last night...a good 8.5 hours straight which I haven't done in a long time so I suppose maybe that's a good part of it.  

2014-06-23 2:22 PM

2014-06-23 3:23 PM
in reply to: Fred D

Originally posted by Fred D
Originally posted by Jason N

This weekend wasn't supposed to be anything crazy...but my legs felt really flat.  Part of it might just be mentally worrying, but the power and HR numbers also don't lie.  I slept like a rock last night...a good 8.5 hours straight which I haven't done in a long time so I suppose maybe that's a good part of it.  

. Some weeks or weekends are just like that. You hope it doesn't fall on a big race weekend, but in essence sometimes our body does say 'no mas'

Yup...been in that situation before.  Rather than worrying too much about it, I was more glad (and somewhat chuckling to myself while riding) that my race wasn't that weekend because it would have been a huge letdown.  At this point, I can only control a handful of things.  The rest is just where the chips fall so to speak.

2014-06-24 3:16 PM

Got another good nights sleep and legs feel much more responsive.  Little short bursts on my way home last night and on my way to work this morning and everything seems right.

2014-06-24 6:00 PM

Elite
PEI, Canada

Got another good nights sleep and legs feel much more responsive.  Little short bursts on my way home last night and on my way to work this morning and everything seems right.

Good to hear Jason!  When are you travelling over for the race?

I had a short windy ride after work today doing 2 x 12:30 @ 275w.  First outdoor ride in quite a while where I pushed the watts up a bit - felt good.

2014-06-24 6:19 PM

Head out Friday morning, race Saturday morning, leave Sunday around noon.  Basically just get in, get err done, have some beer and pizza, and come home.

2014-06-24 7:18 PM

2014-06-25 3:43 AM

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by axteraa

Good to hear Jason!  When are you travelling over for the race?

I had a short windy ride after work today doing 2 x 12:30 @ 275w.  First outdoor ride in quite a while where I pushed the watts up a bit - felt good.

How is the knee Arend?

Still cranky.  It's fine 99% of the time and then I do something that is just the wrong little movement and I feel a stab going through it.

2014-06-25 9:13 AM

2014-06-25 9:15 AM

Elite
PEI, Canada

What have you been doing?  Running the bike through the course with the 808 and then updating the bike to a cover and then updating the race again?

2014-06-25 9:31 AM

2014-06-25 9:45 AM

Elite
PEI, Canada

I just tried and it gave me a difference of only 3 seconds (over the 70.3 distance).  All I did was change the rear wheel from a deep 90 to a disk and left everything else the same, saved the bike then went into the race and told it to update it without changing any data.

2014-06-25 9:56 AM

2014-06-25 9:57 AM

2014-06-25 12:54 PM

I just tried and it gave me a difference of only 3 seconds (over the 70.3 distance).  All I did was change the rear wheel from a deep 90 to a disk and left everything else the same, saved the bike then went into the race and told it to update it without changing any data.

Yeah, doesn't that seem like too small a difference?

FWIW I put in a 10mph wind

There was an interesting thread on ST last week discussing if you could actually be faster on a windy day vs a windless day.  It was fairly interesting, and some of my results back up the claim that with a disc, and decent cross winds, you can actually go faster.  The wind tunnel tests for discs vs a 80-90mm deep wheel back that claim up as at 10-20 degrees of yaw, a disc creates negative drag...or more negative drag than a deep wheel.  But for yaw ranges between 0-10 degrees, there are very close.  So whatever small gains you might get at low yaw with a disc, may be negated by the additional weight on the climbs at Mont Tremblant.  Especially if the descents are technical and require some braking.

I'd bet if you entered the same scenario for a race like Western Australia (flat, with lots of crosswinds) the disc might prove to be a bigger advantage.

FWIW...if I had the cover already, I'd still run it even if it were a 3 second gain.  I feel much more stable in crosswinds with a disc versus the same depth wheel front and back.

2014-06-25 4:14 PM

Elite
PEI, Canada

BTW, where does the knee hurt?

Outside and along the back.

2014-06-25 5:35 PM

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Yeah, doesn't that seem like too small a difference?

FWIW I put in a 10mph wind

There was an interesting thread on ST last week discussing if you could actually be faster on a windy day vs a windless day.  It was fairly interesting, and some of my results back up the claim that with a disc, and decent cross winds, you can actually go faster.  The wind tunnel tests for discs vs a 80-90mm deep wheel back that claim up as at 10-20 degrees of yaw, a disc creates negative drag...or more negative drag than a deep wheel.  But for yaw ranges between 0-10 degrees, there are very close.  So whatever small gains you might get at low yaw with a disc, may be negated by the additional weight on the climbs at Mont Tremblant.  Especially if the descents are technical and require some braking.

I'd bet if you entered the same scenario for a race like Western Australia (flat, with lots of crosswinds) the disc might prove to be a bigger advantage.

FWIW...if I had the cover already, I'd still run it even if it were a 3 second gain.  I feel much more stable in crosswinds with a disc versus the same depth wheel front and back.

Second this in it's entirety.  Might be a small weight penalty that evens it out on a hilly course, but if there is decent (but not biblical) wind, I prefer the disc.  Growing up on the water, it just feels like a well controlled sail and I feel way faster (might just be feeling more stable) with a crosswind than on my 808's or even my 808/404 setup.  Also, given where it pushes on the frame, the disc in back is much less destabilizing that deep in the front...

If it's hilly and no wind, I'd personally run the 808's.  Otherwise, 900/808.  YMMV (and I might be FOS).  

Arend - hope the knee comes around quickly.  I know how much it stinks feeling aaaaalmost better.

James - great race and congrats!

Ben - tornados just flat out scare me.  Had a car crushed by one and our daughter's window ripped out of the house (while she was sleeping) by one in, of all places, the 'burbs of Philadelphia.  That has had a lasting effect…  

Matt

2014-06-25 6:07 PM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

Master
, California

So whatever small gains you might get at low yaw with a disc, may be negated by the additional weight on the climbs at Mont Tremblant.

For what it's worth, A Zipp 900 is 1219g, versus about 1000g for the 808 rear.  So I'd still say aero is the way to go even on a hillier course.  Otherwise everyone would be using tubulars

When I did IM Western Australia, it was a particularly good day for a disc because it is an "H" shaped bike course and we were getting a diagonal crosswind off the water, so you could really feel a pull.  Hard to describe if you haven't ridden one.

I used the disc at Tahoe as well.  I think it was probably a wash versus the 808.  Weight-wise, 200g was nothing compared to all the cold weather gear we had to wear

2014-06-25 10:37 PM
in reply to: spudone

Master
Northern IL

If I can ride the disc then I'm riding the disc. 

2014-06-26 8:10 AM
in reply to: brigby1

Master
Guilford, CT
Originally posted by brigby1

If I can ride the disc then I'm riding the disc. 

word. Smoke em if you got em.

There is virtually no Ironman course where I wouldn't run a disc if it was legal. Kona and France are the only two I can think of.

Weight is not that big of deal on the majority of Ironman bike courses. Anyone who is going at a decent clip on the bike should be 100% focused on drag IMO. Not like you are doing a bunch of accelerations either...just steady cruising along at a range mostly of 16-25 mph for 5 hours.

219 grams is 0.48lbs.

Meanwhile, you see a lot of people stacking up and riding with 3 bottles in an Ironman with each bottle weighing over 700 grams so you are looking at 4.5 to 5 extra pounds which is crazy. Knowing what I know now, I'd be doing things a lot differently if I ever went for another run at it and living off the course a lot more.
2014-06-26 2:22 PM
in reply to: JAYCT

Partly my own fault I suppose, but I'm scrambling to get a new tire mounted on my 202 rear tubular.  I had lent it to a friend a few months ago, he got a flat, I bought a new tire and he reglued it for me as his way of paying me back (he's a broke college kid...I wasn't about to make him starve for a week and pay for the tire).  But I waited till last weekend to pick it up from him (he glued it 6 weeks ago) and only yesterday did I pump it up and test it out.  Turns out the tire is defective as it has a small bulge in it.  I got it off ebay (Vittoria Corsa CX) so I suppose I may have been buying from a bad batch.  Price wasn't super cheap...around $70, but less than the normal $90.

I ripped the tire off, reinflated it, and the bulge is still there, so it's not the rim.  I was able to pick up a pair of spares that a friend had that are already pre stretched and will glue them on tomorrow once I land in Maui.  Shipping the bikes via an air cargo service today.  Glue should have about 16 hours to set, and since the course is all uphill, I'm not worried.

Just venting that I think I'm done with tubulars.  This will be the 4th time I will have to replace a tire and I've only used the wheels for one race as a complete set.  This is the 4th time I've had to replace the tire less than 3 days before a race.  Sigh.

Hoping to sell them and maybe get a set of FLO 30's which aren't the lightest, but at least have some aero properties.  That and I could actually use them for fast training rides without worrying about flatting a tubular or damaging an expensive rim.

On a positive note...my legs feel great.  

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia ~~~~ Permanently OPEN!! Rss Feed  

of 114

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's Fun In the Sun Mentor Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30

Started by Baowolf
Views: 38743 Posts: 743

2015-03-16 2:42 AM scubabrad02

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Manatee Monkey Mentors SHUT (Poptart or pet pic bribes considered) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 74224 Posts: 2488

2014-07-30 9:43 AM IndoIronYanti
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 25, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
Discussion on sinking hips, balance drills, open water freak-out, best breathing for open water swimming and head position.