BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) --Always Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 31

2021-06-24 4:27 PM
in reply to: #5276795

User image

, Vermont
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) --Always Open
@ Mike: yes, we were offered about 5 different options to transfer to - MD was one of them and that was the closest. Interestingly enough, about six or seven years ago it was the first one I was looking at and researching.

2021-06-24 7:06 PM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
That's awesome that you're able to switch to an alternative race. And September is far enough out that you can modify your training without stuffing up all your plans. A canceled race is never ideal, but this is as good an outcome as you can get. Very happy for you.

Enjoy the extra month training.
2021-06-25 6:33 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
Originally posted by aviatrix802@ Mike: yes, we were offered about 5 different options to transfer to - MD was one of them and that was the closest. Interestingly enough, about six or seven years ago it was the first one I was looking at and researching.
Some quick searching shows zero availability in the Marriott ecosystem on that side of the Bay, so if you're looking for a chain hotel there are a ton of options right in Annapolis which like Nicole said is just about an hour from Cambridge. If you're looking for B&B type places, you could look into Oxford and St. Michaels as well.I've ridden the bike course a bunch of times. Flat and usualy windy.
2021-06-26 8:06 PM
in reply to: #5276799

User image

, Vermont
I found a place about a block from the start!! Pure luck!! The Victoria Garden Inn!
2021-06-27 2:31 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by aviatrix802

I found a place about a block from the start!! Pure luck!! The Victoria Garden Inn!

That’s great!
2021-06-27 5:39 AM
in reply to: #5276824

User image

, Vermont
Zwift with my Kick’r yesterday for a couple of hours then packing to leave for the week. My friend did an Oly yesterday and I would have loved to have joined her but have only done one ows so far and really only about 6 swims so far (max of 2200 yds). There’s one in August I plan to do.
Crazy TDF day 1!!!

2021-06-27 5:43 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
Originally posted by aviatrix802I found a place about a block from the start!! Pure luck!! The Victoria Garden Inn!
That's great news. That gers rid of SO much stress race day.
2021-06-27 4:38 PM

User image

Master
brummie land

Originally posted by aviatrix802  Crazy TDF day 1!!!

Cardboard is dangerous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2021-06-28 6:40 AM
in reply to: sappho96

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by sappho96

Originally posted by aviatrix802  Crazy TDF day 1!!!

Cardboard is dangerous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

While all of the fuss is around that 1st crash, the 2nd one was scarier.  Here's the before and after the 1st one:

2021-06-28 6:42 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

First two "stages" of my TdF Challenge are complete with a couple of Zwift races.  I performed rather poorly...I guess it's going to take a few days to get the legs racing.  Easier ride today through New York City.

2021-06-28 9:27 AM
in reply to: #5276828

User image

, Vermont
I’ve heard they’re looking for the woman who held the cardboard sign. Apparently they want to sue her for the damages to the bikes. They haven’t been able to find her yet. That’s a big DOH!

2021-06-28 11:33 AM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Expert
Originally posted by bulfrog

Originally posted by Qua17

DQ

In happier talking points, when is your Marathon? I'm about 16 weeks out from race 1 of my half marathon series. It's 3 October. as you're 16 weeks out that lines up pretty nicely if you want to work together for some mutual accountability?

Hi Andrew - I'm sorry for not getting back to you last week. It was a crazy one with me an my ex. Big picture - as much as I disagree with the way she is parenting our children, I have no say or power to change it in the eyes of the court. That's what my new lawyer told me. So now I'm just trying to figure out a way to deal with the powerlessness and I'm hoping to use that anger to motivate me to train.

So with that said - I would love to set up some mutual accountability to help us reach our goals of finishing a Mary in October. What did you have in mind? I was hoping we could keep an eye on each others' my fitness pals stats to keep each other in check in terms of our calorie impute. I have a long way to go since I am still eating 1000 calories of Haagen Daz ice cream every night to make my mouth feel better. I was also hoping we could set something us so we can set up our goals for the week and then cheer each other on. With our weekly goals there needs to be a motivating reward and a motivating consequence like a Coors Lite Penalty or something of the like.

I've got to get going. Yesterday, I had every intention of getting up early and getting my ride in so I could start getting into a habit of doing my workouts before work. Last night, I watched the unedited edition of the Blues Brothers which kept me up til 11:30 - so no early morning workout. I did manage to get in 12 miles on the bike later in the day, so I'm glad about that. But I must regain my devotion to my workout goals. So much is on the line. I'm gonna start limiting my self to one of two beers a day so you know I am deadly serious about this

Please tweak the rules of the challenge so you feel support and so that I can support you as I need you to support me. Off to take a well deserved nap.
2021-06-28 11:33 AM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Expert
Originally posted by bulfrog

Originally posted by Qua17

DQ

In happier talking points, when is your Marathon? I'm about 16 weeks out from race 1 of my half marathon series. It's 3 October. as you're 16 weeks out that lines up pretty nicely if you want to work together for some mutual accountability?

Hi Andrew - I'm sorry for not getting back to you last week. It was a crazy one with me an my ex. Big picture - as much as I disagree with the way she is parenting our children, I have no say or power to change it in the eyes of the court. That's what my new lawyer told me. So now I'm just trying to figure out a way to deal with the powerlessness and I'm hoping to use that anger to motivate me to train.

So with that said - I would love to set up some mutual accountability to help us reach our goals of finishing a Mary in October. What did you have in mind? I was hoping we could keep an eye on each others' my fitness pals stats to keep each other in check in terms of our calorie impute. I have a long way to go since I am still eating 1000 calories of Haagen Daz ice cream every night to make my mouth feel better. I was also hoping we could set something us so we can set up our goals for the week and then cheer each other on. With our weekly goals there needs to be a motivating reward and a motivating consequence like a Coors Lite Penalty or something of the like.

I've got to get going. Yesterday, I had every intention of getting up early and getting my ride in so I could start getting into a habit of doing my workouts before work. Last night, I watched the unedited edition of the Blues Brothers which kept me up til 11:30 - so no early morning workout. I did manage to get in 12 miles on the bike later in the day, so I'm glad about that. But I must regain my devotion to my workout goals. So much is on the line. I'm gonna start limiting my self to one of two beers a day so you know I am deadly serious about this

Please tweak the rules of the challenge so you feel support and so that I can support you as I need you to support me. Off to take a well deserved nap.
2021-06-28 11:58 AM
in reply to: #5276839

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Jenn that's great you found a place so close!!! Definitely will be a huge relief on race day, before and after!!
2021-06-28 12:03 PM
in reply to: #5276843

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
I'm on the mobile app which I don't love so probably won't post much this week, although I will still check it out when I think of it!

I got to Alaska around 1:30am (5:30am EST). I only managed two power naps, one on each flight, and then slept for 4 hours when we got to my friend's brother's place. It's gonna hit me hard this afternoon.

Had my qualifier for the Ragnar competitive team yesterday and actually came in first overall! Came in around 1 hr. 14 min for 7.5 miles. Felt really good! Fell towards the end (tripped on a rock) but luckily just a little bruised. Oh and a bug flew on my ear and when I shooed it always I knocked my ear bud out and had to go search for it (found it! Lol).

Hope everyone is well!
2021-06-28 8:51 PM
in reply to: #5276844

User image

, Vermont
Nicole that’s great!! What a way to show up after such a long flight!! Kudos! Sleep when you can, I bet he has some great black-out blinds for this time of year!

2021-06-28 8:55 PM
in reply to: #5276859

User image

, Vermont
Hey Mike, do you simulate any of the crashes on your TDF rides? Man, another crazy day!
So you’re riding a stage every day on Zwift for three weeks similar to what the riders are experiencing? Who sets the courses on Zwift - or does someone pick courses with similar terrain of the actual stages? I wondered how you do that.
2021-06-28 8:58 PM
in reply to: #5276860

User image

, Vermont
Today I managed a solid :45 power zone ride and followed it up with a 20 minute run here in Phoenix. I was so excited for the trip this week with certain overnights with gyms I want to train in. Today we were notified our plane is on maintenance and our schedule has been completely revamped. No more long overnights in good places (with good gyms). I don’t think I’ll find a pool but will still hold out hope. (Same with another spin bike).. I might be back to lifting weights this week.
2021-06-29 4:40 AM
in reply to: #5276861

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Hi guys, im also away this week and on the mobile app. So blah.

DQ. very happy to chase each other up on MFP, but you need to change your settings, i see an update when you do a workout but nothing about food. Your diary is hidden.

What sort of reward/punishment were you thinking?

Sorry for the quick note, off to bed now after a long day onsite, and 1 or 2 to many beers at the hotel bar.

Be good everyone.
2021-06-29 5:32 AM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by aviatrix802

Great news Jenn! You'll be thankful to be so close in the morning and you will be even more thankful when you hobble home as an Ironman! Looking forward to cheering you on all the way!
2021-06-29 5:49 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by aviatrix802Hey Mike, do you simulate any of the crashes on your TDF rides? Man, another crazy day! So you’re riding a stage every day on Zwift for three weeks similar to what the riders are experiencing? Who sets the courses on Zwift - or does someone pick courses with similar terrain of the actual stages? I wondered how you do that.
I do it myself. I'm easily amused and make a game out of it, where I try to ride at least twice in every major world and hit the others once (so I'm only doing Richmond, Yorkshire, Bologna, and Crit City once), while it making "sense" geography-wise (so I'm in the U.S this week, then Britian, then Europe) I ride every day they do, mixing up some endurance rides and races so I don't over-fatigue myself. If the guest worlds don't line up then you can usually find an event/race. There are also a couple of Zwift events (Olympic series and then a speed series) that overlap so I try to ride with others as much as possible. Racing or riding hard 21 out of 23 days would physically kill me.

I have three outdoor rides scheduled this long weekend so we'll see about the crashes. I've also fallen over into the trash cans in my driveway while unclipping and off the bike while on the trainer, so while not purposefully simulating I sometimes can't help it.

Edited by jmhpsu93 2021-06-29 6:50 AM

2021-06-29 5:54 AM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Expert
Top of the morning to you BDASers! I am proud to report that after 2 months of trying, I finally got up early to go for a workout. I had set my alarm for 5 but I was so keyed up that I ended up waking up at 4:30. Man is that early for me! I honestly can't remember the last time I woke up this early to get in a workout. So that's a small victory for me today. I ended up walking 2.75 miles on an absolutely gorgeous morning. Too bad you could cut the humidity with a knife. But I'll take it.

Here are my goals for the week

1) Track my calories on MFP for at least 4 days
2) Here's the schedule I've set for myself
Monday - Rest
Tuesday - Walk am
Wednesday - Ride am
Thursday - Walk am
Friday - Rest
Saturday - Walk am
Sunday - Ride am
Plus - I want to walk after dinner with Tam for at least 4 nights

Andrew - When things were really clicking for me a few years ago - I motivated myself with beer. If I met my goals, got my workouts in, and stayed under my calorie goal, I got to drink a great beer of my choosing to celebrate my accomplishment when the week came to an end on Sundays. If I didn't reach my goal, then I had the pleasure of drinking Coors Light all day long. Not sure which motivated me more - the Coors Light Penalty or the good beers that I used to reward myself. Could we try something like that?

14 weeks and counting to Boston. I've got to make this happen.

Attachments
----------------
IMG_0274.HEIC (1325KB - 3 downloads)
2021-06-29 6:52 AM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by Qua17 Top of the morning to you BDASers! I am proud to report that after 2 months of trying, I finally got up early to go for a workout. I had set my alarm for 5 but I was so keyed up that I ended up waking up at 4:30. Man is that early for me! I honestly can't remember the last time I woke up this early to get in a workout. So that's a small victory for me today. I ended up walking 2.75 miles on an absolutely gorgeous morning. Too bad you could cut the humidity with a knife. But I'll take it. Here are my goals for the week 1) Track my calories on MFP for at least 4 days 2) Here's the schedule I've set for myself Monday - Rest Tuesday - Walk am Wednesday - Ride am Thursday - Walk am Friday - Rest Saturday - Walk am Sunday - Ride am Plus - I want to walk after dinner with Tam for at least 4 nights Andrew - When things were really clicking for me a few years ago - I motivated myself with beer. If I met my goals, got my workouts in, and stayed under my calorie goal, I got to drink a great beer of my choosing to celebrate my accomplishment when the week came to an end on Sundays. If I didn't reach my goal, then I had the pleasure of drinking Coors Light all day long. Not sure which motivated me more - the Coors Light Penalty or the good beers that I used to reward myself. Could we try something like that? 14 weeks and counting to Boston. I've got to make this happen.

Nice work, Dave.  That could have been so easy to bail after waking up early.

Don't forget to do some core work during your cool down for injury prevention. 

2021-06-29 6:54 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by aviatrix802 Today I managed a solid :45 power zone ride and followed it up with a 20 minute run here in Phoenix. I was so excited for the trip this week with certain overnights with gyms I want to train in. Today we were notified our plane is on maintenance and our schedule has been completely revamped. No more long overnights in good places (with good gyms). I don’t think I’ll find a pool but will still hold out hope. (Same with another spin bike).. I might be back to lifting weights this week.

You do such a great job of getting it done on the road.  I can't imagine trying to train for an IM at my work hotels.  Sprint maybe, but not anything longer.

2021-06-29 10:57 AM
in reply to: #5274075

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Hopping on to let you know I had a yummy stout at Girdwood Brewery yesterday. It was an oatmeal coffee stout called Hippie Speedball. Tried it in both CO2 and nitro store (liked the nitro better).
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) --Always Open Rss Feed  

of 31