BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) --Always Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 31

2021-06-21 9:25 PM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) --Always Open
Nathalie Yay that your race is on. I'd go for sprint. For some reason I've never loved the Olympic distance. It's either short and fast, or long and slow for me.

Nicole 3 out of 6 goals met. you blew me out of the water. Good job. Good luck for next week.

JennGood on you getting a workout done in those conditions. Sounds tough, but that's where we make the most gains. Keep it up.
Regarding IMMT maybe, or maybe not happening, having been through a cancelled, then rescheduled Ironman myself, I really feel for you. Ironman have said they won't make a decision to cancel until the last moment for any of their races (as I'm sure you know) so unfortunately the waiting game will continue for you. It's just such a frustrating position to put in so much work, and not know if you're going to get the pay off. Sorry I've got no clever advise... just that I've been there, and it sucks.

Maybe plan a solo, neighborhood Ironman if you get bad news? Some people who couldn't make the rescheduled IMNZ did that here. At least you would get to put your fitness to the test that way. (I'm not sure if I'm mentally strong enough for a solo Ironman, you might be tho)

2021-06-22 12:03 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Nicole and Jenn, well done on the weeks! goals. Andrew, can you identify why you didn’t suceed?

Me: log everything, check!
What else did I have? At least one of each sport, right? No, didn’t t bike.

However, I started this week with a ride so that almost counts.

Found some free training plans that were advertised on my Facebook feed a few weeks ago which I had saved,

There is 8 or 12 weeks to choose from. My event is in 10 weeks so I was thinking to do the 1st week 3 times.

It’s for olympic distance but I have not decided which one I will do. I’ve only tried oly once last year (not really a race but almost) and I liked it. We’ll see...

Started with biking yesterday. Today is rest day so Golf!
Have a great week !

Edited by Rollergirl 2021-06-22 12:06 AM
2021-06-22 3:42 AM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

Master
brummie land

I exercised! Hour of touch rugby on Sunday which was cool, and then an hour's ride yesterday with the group: https://theaws.co.uk/

I feel so much better for getting out

2021-06-22 4:22 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by bulfrog

Nathalie Yay that your race is on. I'd go for sprint. For some reason I've never loved the Olympic distance. It's either short and fast, or long and slow for me.

or in my case, short and slow
2021-06-22 4:27 AM
in reply to: sappho96

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by sappho96

I exercised! Hour of touch rugby on Sunday which was cool, and then an hour's ride yesterday with the group: https://theaws.co.uk/

yeah!

Had a footie kickabout with my teenage son and his dad in our back garden the other night. A big surprise, he has never been interested in football (soccer) and lately even less interested in doing things with his parents (quite natural at 16).

That was so much fun! and the best part is that I didn't break anything

2021-06-22 8:05 AM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by aviatrix802

Oh, I’ve been watching the IMMT Facebook page and the race is looking not so great. The border is closed until at least July 21st and they just canecelled the Montreal marathon in September. I wish Ironman would make a call so I can cancel my hotel but understand they want the city and province to make the call likely for insurance reasons.

So frustrating!!! I hope they make a decision soon!

2021-06-22 8:08 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

So how did I do? Miserable failure

Goals for last week were:

Nutrition
1. Log everything every day. No, did 6 days
2. Average under 2000 Cal/day for the week No, closer to 2,500 cal. sad face
Training
1. 5-6 runs this week No, 4 runs
2. 3-4 hours total running. No, 2 hr 42 min (although that was the most running since Ironman)
3. 10+ foam roll/stretching sessions for the week. Yes. Foam rolled every night, and stretched after 3 out of 4 runs. 10 total

Goals for next week:

Nutrition.
1. Log everything!
2. No post work snacking from the bakery on the drive home... One of my big weak points.
Training.
1. 5 runs
2. 1 run with some quality in it (tempo/interval etc.)
3. 1 run 60 min plus
4. 10+ Foam roll/stretching sessions

Don't beat yourself up! You got close to all of them! And I'd consider last week in terms of a nutrition a baseline this week is when the real work begins!
You've got this week!!!
2021-06-22 8:11 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

Awesome, Sappho! That group looks like a great one to be a part of! Keep it up!
2021-06-22 8:15 AM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
I had volleyball playoffs last night so didn't workout otherwise to keep my legs fresh. My partner and I had a really solid semifinal match. We played the best we ever have together, everything was just clicking. Then this crazy thunderstorm came through. An hour later, the other semi match was able to get back on the court and finish, and then we had to do finals. Unfortunately, we had tightened up and the sun had gone down (playing in the lights is the worst) and we lost a tough match. I drowned my sorrows with a yummy spicy guavarita

Woke up early this morning for some hills. We have this half mile long hill (about 100 ft of elevation), so I ran up and down it 3 times. Wish I'd had time to keep going, but had PT at 7am. Felt pretty good though!
2021-06-22 11:31 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by nicole14e I had volleyball playoffs last night so didn't workout otherwise to keep my legs fresh. My partner and I had a really solid semifinal match. We played the best we ever have together, everything was just clicking. Then this crazy thunderstorm came through. An hour later, the other semi match was able to get back on the court and finish, and then we had to do finals. Unfortunately, we had tightened up and the sun had gone down (playing in the lights is the worst) and we lost a tough match. I drowned my sorrows with a yummy spicy guavarita Woke up early this morning for some hills. We have this half mile long hill (about 100 ft of elevation), so I ran up and down it 3 times. Wish I'd had time to keep going, but had PT at 7am. Felt pretty good though!

Patterson Park hill?  That's a great VO2 max workout.

Yesterday I got a Bikram Yoga session in and today was 45+ minutes on the trainer with 25' at sweet spot and steady state.  My annual Tour de France challenge starts on Saturday, mostly on Zwift but a few outdoor rides.  More on my "course" later once Zwift publishes their July schedule.  I try to hit every world (France (incl. Paris), New York, London, Yorkshire, Watopia, Bologna, Crit City, Makuri Islands, Richmond, Innsbruck)at least twice (Bologna and Crit City just once because they're really small) and do the France one 4 times.

2021-06-22 8:23 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Originally posted by nicole14e I had volleyball playoffs last night so didn't workout otherwise to keep my legs fresh. My partner and I had a really solid semifinal match. We played the best we ever have together, everything was just clicking. Then this crazy thunderstorm came through. An hour later, the other semi match was able to get back on the court and finish, and then we had to do finals. Unfortunately, we had tightened up and the sun had gone down (playing in the lights is the worst) and we lost a tough match. I drowned my sorrows with a yummy spicy guavarita Woke up early this morning for some hills. We have this half mile long hill (about 100 ft of elevation), so I ran up and down it 3 times. Wish I'd had time to keep going, but had PT at 7am. Felt pretty good though!

Patterson Park hill?  That's a great VO2 max workout.

Yesterday I got a Bikram Yoga session in and today was 45+ minutes on the trainer with 25' at sweet spot and steady state.  My annual Tour de France challenge starts on Saturday, mostly on Zwift but a few outdoor rides.  More on my "course" later once Zwift publishes their July schedule.  I try to hit every world (France (incl. Paris), New York, London, Yorkshire, Watopia, Bologna, Crit City, Makuri Islands, Richmond, Innsbruck)at least twice (Bologna and Crit City just once because they're really small) and do the France one 4 times.

Yep! Ran along Baltimore from Linwood to Patterson Park! It's a rough hill.

2021-06-22 9:54 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Originally posted by nicole14e

Oh, I’ve been watching the IMMT Facebook page and the race is looking not so great. The border is closed until at least July 21st and they just canecelled the Montreal marathon in September. I wish Ironman would make a call so I can cancel my hotel but understand they want the city and province to make the call likely for insurance reasons.

Looks like a decision has been made. Sorry for the bad news, that's just gutting
2021-06-22 10:36 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
40 minute run this morning, with a bit of quality mixed in. 3 x 3min Cruise Intervals. Not the most impressive workout ever. But the first time since Ironman I've gone out and done something more than just easy paced jogging. Funnily the IT band seemed to feel better during the faster intervals than the easy running... maybe that's telling me something?

Nathalie, I know exactly why I didn't meet my goals for the week. Training wise 2 little kids in the house makes for a tired family. My only running opportunity these days is to be finished by 6:30am, and I slept through some alarms.

Nutrition, a combination of habit eating (always wanting that post work snack) and tired/laziness induced take out rather than decent dinners. Mornings and lunches are ok, it's after work and evenings where the wheels fall off. Hence one of my goals this week being to not go to that bakery on the drive home. I'm aiming for a smaller step, rather than straight to the end goal.

Unfortunately knowing the problems is easier than fixing them. Aiming for better this week regardless.
2021-06-23 12:39 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Not easy with 2 small kids, that’s true. The little one is only a few months old isn’t she? (Unless I am getting you confused with someone else, in which case I apologise). Ever thought of taking her out on a run in her stroller? Great way to get them to sleep!

Nutrition, again, lack of time. Avoiding the bakery sounds like a good first step (plus you’ll save some time!)

Today, my plan calls for a strength session and a swim. May have to postpone the swim to tomorrow.

2021-06-23 3:06 AM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

Master
brummie land

Originally posted by Rollergirl

yeah! Had a footie kickabout with my teenage son and his dad in our back garden the other night. A big surprise, he has never been interested in football (soccer) and lately even less interested in doing things with his parents (quite natural at 16). That was so much fun! and the best part is that I didn't break anything

Breaking stuff is half the fun! Not obviously your body though!!!! Has the Euros piqued his interest? I did a great job as a kid breaking most of my mom's garden with a football, and now as an adult with a rugby ball; obviously my dad's fault for not catching that wayward pass that landed in the bush! 

2021-06-23 3:10 AM

User image

Master
brummie land

Awesome, Sappho! That group looks like a great one to be a part of! Keep it up!

Thanks! I even managed to fix a rear derailleur shifting issue for them. It is so encouraging seeing women who have never learnt to ride as kids now be confident enough to go off the reservoir and onto the nearby bike path. 

2021-06-23 3:12 AM

User image

Master
brummie land

Originally posted by bulfrog 40 minute run this morning, with a bit of quality mixed in. 3 x 3min Cruise Intervals. Not the most impressive workout ever. But the first time since Ironman I've gone out and done something more than just easy paced jogging. Funnily the IT band seemed to feel better during the faster intervals than the easy running... maybe that's telling me something? Nathalie, I know exactly why I didn't meet my goals for the week. Training wise 2 little kids in the house makes for a tired family. My only running opportunity these days is to be finished by 6:30am, and I slept through some alarms. Nutrition, a combination of habit eating (always wanting that post work snack) and tired/laziness induced take out rather than decent dinners. Mornings and lunches are ok, it's after work and evenings where the wheels fall off. Hence one of my goals this week being to not go to that bakery on the drive home. I'm aiming for a smaller step, rather than straight to the end goal. Unfortunately knowing the problems is easier than fixing them. Aiming for better this week regardless.

Maybe drive home a different way? Or is that not possible?

2021-06-23 8:16 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

Looks like a decision has been made. Sorry for the bad news, that's just gutting

Ugh, sorry Jenn, but at least they made the call. Think you will try to do a solo race?
2021-06-23 1:54 PM

User image

, Kronobergs lan

Originally posted by Rollergirl

yeah! Had a footie kickabout with my teenage son and his dad in our back garden the other night. A big surprise, he has never been interested in football (soccer) and lately even less interested in doing things with his parents (quite natural at 16). That was so much fun! and the best part is that I didn't break anything

Breaking stuff is half the fun! Not obviously your body though!!!! Has the Euros piqued his interest? I did a great job as a kid breaking most of my mom's garden with a football, and now as an adult with a rugby ball; obviously my dad's fault for not catching that wayward pass that landed in the bush! 

Yeah, I meant my body (particularly my knees, which are quite fragile due to years of playing, well, football). Yeah, he has even been watching a few games, He’s always showed NO interest in football in the 16 years of his life. Maybe he’s fallen in love with a football fan….

Obviously your dad’s fault, LOL
2021-06-24 6:46 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by aviatrix802 Oh, I’ve been watching the IMMT Facebook page and the race is looking not so great. The border is closed until at least July 21st and they just canecelled the Montreal marathon in September. I wish Ironman would make a call so I can cancel my hotel but understand they want the city and province to make the call likely for insurance reasons.
Ugh, sorry Jenn, but at least they made the call. Think you will try to do a solo race?

Sorry about that, Jenn.  70.3 instead?  There are a whole bunch within driving distance of you.  Or just not the same?

2021-06-24 8:34 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Went to the gym Wednesday morning for my HIIT workout and got in a nice 3.2 or so run this morning.

2021-06-24 12:59 PM
in reply to: #5274075

User image

, Vermont
Nathalie; sounds like you have a plan for your race! Go get it!! I love playing sports with my kids, especially when I can still hang with them - which is getting more rare these days.

Nicole; nice on the hill workout! Sorry about the v-ball loss.

Sappho; that’s so great you found such a great group to ride with - helps to keep the joy and motivation up!

Mike; wow on the TDF effort coming up. I do like Zwift, it has served me well this year.
2021-06-24 1:07 PM
in reply to: #5276794

User image

, Vermont
Well, as you saw, IMMT has been cancelled. My PT’s father lives up there; he’s had cancer twice, had pneumonia during lockdown without ever having gone anywhere and he still has only been able to get the first of the vaccine shots - that tells you how few have had it up there.
My backup full at Lake George cancelled as well - due to traffic concerns. They are willing to refund me the money and give SNA free down-grade to the half.
Back to IMMT.. after much contemplation of options (deferal to next year’s race was NOT offered).. I looked at my vacation time this year, what we have planned for the next couple of summers and decided to pull the trigger and defer to IM Maryland in September on the 18th. Mike and Nicole… I expect you to be there with bells on. Hahahaha. I’m just kidding. My friend pulled the trigger the day the deferrals came out. She just wants to do an IM and doesn’t ever want to go through the training again. I really want Mont Tremblant but given the circumstances this works best for me for now. It buys me an extra month of training which I desperately need and I have Aug 10-Labor Day weekend off for vacation so I can really focus on peak weeks and get some solid training in.
Sorry this is so long.
Last thing… because it’s so late in the game, Mike and Nicole, do you guys have any recommendations of places to stay in Cambridge?? I’m looking online and like everyone else I’d love to be near the swim start. Haha
2021-06-24 1:18 PM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
OH MY GOSH! That is SO exciting! I will definitely come to see you at some point, either for part of the race or sometime before or after! Maybe after, so we can have a beer

Not sure about places to stay, as that's about an hour and 45 minutes from me. I was gonna say check Airbnb, but I just looked and there is not really anything available except a $350/night room in someone's house. Annapolis is about an hour and 15 min away. I'm sure they may have some hotels and stuff closer though. Let me know when you find a place and how long you plan to be in town for!
2021-06-24 3:38 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

So cool you're coming to IMMD! 

Cambridge is a little tiny town on the Choptank River.  It is probably the flattest race you will ever do.  There are some B&Bs in town near the race site but not much.  There is a swanky Hyatt but that's likely sold out.  There are a bunch of chain hotels in close-by towns like Easton, MD that aren't too far away.  I'll do some searching, but no promises on walking out of your B&B to your race site (which I did for a triathlon in nearby Rock Hall, MD, which was worth every dime I spent)..

I thought IMMD was sold out?  Are they giving you entry because IMMT was cancelled?

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) --Always Open Rss Feed  

of 31