Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Marvelous Manatees - Stronger than Ever! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 33

2023-04-12 10:32 AM
in reply to: fortissimo

User image

Master
Orlando
Subject: RE: Marvelous Manatees - Stronger than Ever!

Originally posted by fortissimo
Originally posted by marysia83 Wetsuit question: how awful and difficult it is to swim breaststroke in a wetsuit? I am obviously not planning to do so, but breaststroke has always been my back-up stroke in triathlons. I completed all my tri races, including HIM, without the wetsuit, and this will be my first year using it. I had two situations in the past when BR saved my race: 1) I got panick attack in the water and basically couldn't put my head under water. I completed the swim with breaststroke "don't wet your hair" style. 2) As I was swimming towards the shore, the water got choppy with splashes all over the place, and I had a hard time breathing swimming free, as water just run to my mouth. I finished with breaststroke (I was able to have my head high enough for inhale that none of the water got to my mouth while breathing. For my upcoming races I train free and hopefully I am strong enough and the conditions are good enough all will go perfect, but I do want to have a back-up style. I do practice backstroke as well, but it gives me more anxiety than BR. If for some extreme reason I have to swicth to BR (and back won't work either), how bad it will be to swim that style in wetsuit? I am definitely plan it to try it once I go open water, but thought I would ask you all for your input. I thought it migyt be just uncomfortable for the legs, but I read somewhere that due to the buyouncy it is hard to manouver the stroke, as most of the body will be up in the water, which is not what BR needs. Again, this is to plan the worst case scenario
I haven't done breaststroke in a wetsuit, but I've seen several who have. I do have to caution you that if you do resort to breaststroke to please move away from others. I was passing someone doing breaststroke at a Stroke and Stride (put on by Without Limits at Boulder Rez every Thursday in the summer) and he nailed my in the ribs with his whip kick. He actually broke 2 of my ribs and displaced them. This was a few weeks before the Boulder IM 70.3 in 2017. This is when I learned to never try a 70.3 with broken ribs because you end up in a police car at mile 4 of the run and have no idea how you got there.

Yikes! I can't imagine trying to do anything with broken ribs let alone a 70.3. I can't imagine how you made it that far - you are tough!

2023-04-12 11:31 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Cypress, Texas

Originally posted by amd723

Originally posted by BlueBoy26

Tridot:  A lot has changed since I did the program in 2016....  

I use Tridot and think I like it....

...Finally price. With the pre-season project they gave you the Mark Allen edition for 2 months. It is not worth the extra price they wanted even at the discount they were given, so I am doing the $25/month version.... 

I for got a bout the DNA testing optimization.  I haven't done any DNA testing but am skeptical on this.   I also forgot about the environmental factor where TriDot adjusts your paces based on the weather.  It was early enough in the year that that didn't make any differences in my training.  The $15 or $25 plans are the way to go. 

2023-04-12 11:35 AM
in reply to: BlueBoy26

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by amd723

Tridot:  A lot has changed since I did the program in 2016....  

I use Tridot and think I like it....

...Finally price. With the pre-season project they gave you the Mark Allen edition for 2 months. It is not worth the extra price they wanted even at the discount they were given, so I am doing the $25/month version.... 

I for got a bout the DNA testing optimization.  I haven't done any DNA testing but am skeptical on this.   I also forgot about the environmental factor where TriDot adjusts your paces based on the weather.  It was early enough in the year that that didn't make any differences in my training.  The $15 or $25 plans are the way to go. 

Great feedback!

2023-04-12 1:25 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by Hot Runner

Marysia, in my experience it's not that difficult or awful to do breaststroke in a wetsuit. I don't know about doing the entire race distance that way (though certainly some people do in shorter events with lots of beginners)--but many times I have done a bit of it while trying to sight in difficult conditions, catch my breath after inhaling water, etc. If your wetsuit fits properly, it shouldn't be an issue. If you were going to routinely train using strokes other than freestyle in conditions that required a wetsuit (like a poorly heated pool or a lake with marginal temps), I'd suggest a sleeveless suit or a sleeveless shortie, since it allows more freedom of movement, but not worth it for occasional use when racing (unless, maybe, you were planning to do an entire IM or HIM swim that way).

Thanks for the assurance!
I definitely NOT plan to do the entire race in breaststroke I love the stroke, but not as passionately as to go long distance in a race.
My wetsuite is sleeveless, which I assume will help. Thank you for your feedback!
2023-04-12 1:30 PM
in reply to: fortissimo

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by fortissimo

Originally posted by marysia83

Wetsuit question: how awful and difficult it is to swim breaststroke in a wetsuit?

I am obviously not planning to do so, but breaststroke has always been my back-up stroke in triathlons. I completed all my tri races, including HIM, without the wetsuit, and this will be my first year using it. I had two situations in the past when BR saved my race: 1) I got panick attack in the water and basically couldn't put my head under water. I completed the swim with breaststroke "don't wet your hair" style. 2) As I was swimming towards the shore, the water got choppy with splashes all over the place, and I had a hard time breathing swimming free, as water just run to my mouth. I finished with breaststroke (I was able to have my head high enough for inhale that none of the water got to my mouth while breathing.
For my upcoming races I train free and hopefully I am strong enough and the conditions are good enough all will go perfect, but I do want to have a back-up style. I do practice backstroke as well, but it gives me more anxiety than BR.

If for some extreme reason I have to swicth to BR (and back won't work either), how bad it will be to swim that style in wetsuit? I am definitely plan it to try it once I go open water, but thought I would ask you all for your input. I thought it migyt be just uncomfortable for the legs, but I read somewhere that due to the buyouncy it is hard to manouver the stroke, as most of the body will be up in the water, which is not what BR needs.

Again, this is to plan the worst case scenario

I haven't done breaststroke in a wetsuit, but I've seen several who have. I do have to caution you that if you do resort to breaststroke to please move away from others. I was passing someone doing breaststroke at a Stroke and Stride (put on by Without Limits at Boulder Rez every Thursday in the summer) and he nailed my in the ribs with his whip kick. He actually broke 2 of my ribs and displaced them.

This was a few weeks before the Boulder IM 70.3 in 2017. This is when I learned to never try a 70.3 with broken ribs because you end up in a police car at mile 4 of the run and have no idea how you got there.

Oh no! I am so sorry! that sounds really awful I hope you recovered quickly, but doing a long race with it sounds really bad!
My plan - my worst case scenario plan - includes breaststroke only as an emergency that would happen somewhere at the end or (hopefully not) in the middle. Which is when folks are usually spread out. At least the two situations when it happened to me I was either not surrounded by anyone, or I was at the very end of the pack with only few more folks who also struggled, and were far away of each other. But that's a good reminder, thank you!
2023-04-21 2:41 PM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Denver, Colorado
Happy Friday everyone! I hope you all have great weekend with wonderful weather

2023-04-23 9:14 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Cypress, Texas

I finally got my race report from the Boston Marathon complete.  It is HERE and includes photos.  

I bonked at mile 21.  This is the first race I have bonked at since 2018.  I thought I had figured out all the pacing and nutrition, so I expected to be able to run strong to the end and to feel good after crossing the finish line but that was not the case.   Despite a 9-minute positive split I still pulled off a sub-3 hour time so I guess you can bank time.  I wouldn't ever recommend it though.  The last 5 miles were painful and I felt half dead after finishing.  

I went back and analyzed my race data so see what went wrong.  I can't really say.  My pacing looks to be on point with other races.  I did get an upset stomach which required some adjustments to the nutrition plan, but I am not sure that was the problem.  I think I may have just been undertrained.  

There two things that really stood out to me.  1) there was no room to pass anyone for the first 12 miles.  That was pretty crazy to be boxed in for that many miles.  2) the last five miles I was passed by more than 1,000 people.  That was when it really hit me what it meant to be at the Boston Marathon.  At my qualifying Marathon a year ago I passed about 20 people after mile 18.  That was half the field that was in front of me so it was huge.  I felt like I was picking off people right and left.  No one caught me in those miles.  The same was true for the half marathon I did in March.  In the last 5 miles I just pulled them in one by one passing half the field that was ahead of me.  This was the opposite.  I had about 2,500 people ahead of me then had half that many people pass me at the end of the race. I was getting passed by rows of people 4-5 people wide and they were all going a minute a mile faster than me.  I felt like I was drifting wood floating in white water rapids. There was a furious flow moving passing all around me.  

So...this was defiantly a cool experience.   Next time I go to Boston it will not be for the experience.  It will be to race. 

Edited by BlueBoy26 2023-04-23 9:18 PM
2023-04-24 6:48 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

I finally got my race report from the Boston Marathon complete.  It is HERE and includes photos.  

I bonked at mile 21.  This is the first race I have bonked at since 2018.  I thought I had figured out all the pacing and nutrition, so I expected to be able to run strong to the end and to feel good after crossing the finish line but that was not the case.   Despite a 9-minute positive split I still pulled off a sub-3 hour time so I guess you can bank time.  I wouldn't ever recommend it though.  The last 5 miles were painful and I felt half dead after finishing.  

I went back and analyzed my race data so see what went wrong.  I can't really say.  My pacing looks to be on point with other races.  I did get an upset stomach which required some adjustments to the nutrition plan, but I am not sure that was the problem.  I think I may have just been undertrained.  

There two things that really stood out to me.  1) there was no room to pass anyone for the first 12 miles.  That was pretty crazy to be boxed in for that many miles.  2) the last five miles I was passed by more than 1,000 people.  That was when it really hit me what it meant to be at the Boston Marathon.  At my qualifying Marathon a year ago I passed about 20 people after mile 18.  That was half the field that was in front of me so it was huge.  I felt like I was picking off people right and left.  No one caught me in those miles.  The same was true for the half marathon I did in March.  In the last 5 miles I just pulled them in one by one passing half the field that was ahead of me.  This was the opposite.  I had about 2,500 people ahead of me then had half that many people pass me at the end of the race. I was getting passed by rows of people 4-5 people wide and they were all going a minute a mile faster than me.  I felt like I was drifting wood floating in white water rapids. There was a furious flow moving passing all around me.  

So...this was defiantly a cool experience.   Next time I go to Boston it will not be for the experience.  It will be to race. 

Congratulations on hitting a sub 3 Boston! It sounds like you learned a lot and will be ready to really smash your next Boston.

2023-04-24 9:52 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Cypress, Texas

Yes, I learned a lot.

There ended up being 15 people from the Cypress Running Club at Boston Marathon this year.  I saw four of the guys on the course.  One of them passed my with about two miles to go.  I took seven walk breaks in the last 3 miles. I would try to run for 100 steps then I would walk for 20-30 steps and then try to run for another 100 steps.  I was passed while on a walk break and the guy in my running club said, "Let's go."  I tried to stay with he and was able to make it 300 steps before my calves started to cramp and I had to take another walk break.  When I got to the 1-mile-to-go line.  I was at 2hr 51min  I had 9 minutes to go 1 mile to break three hours.  I was pretty confidant at that point I would make it.  I did it, but don't think I would have if the guy from my club hadn't come by when he did.  I might have lost 2-3 more minutes in the last two miles and ended up over 3 hours.

So, I learned a lot but also was help a lot by friend who had done the race a half dozen times before.   I don't know when I will be back, but it was cool to be at the Kona of Marathons and would definitely like to go again.

2023-04-24 10:03 AM

User image

Denver, Colorado

Yes, I learned a lot.

There ended up being 15 people from the Cypress Running Club at Boston Marathon this year.  I saw four of the guys on the course.  One of them passed my with about two miles to go.  I took seven walk breaks in the last 3 miles. I would try to run for 100 steps then I would walk for 20-30 steps and then try to run for another 100 steps.  I was passed while on a walk break and the guy in my running club said, "Let's go."  I tried to stay with he and was able to make it 300 steps before my calves started to cramp and I had to take another walk break.  When I got to the 1-mile-to-go line.  I was at 2hr 51min  I had 9 minutes to go 1 mile to break three hours.  I was pretty confidant at that point I would make it.  I did it, but don't think I would have if the guy from my club hadn't come by when he did.  I might have lost 2-3 more minutes in the last two miles and ended up over 3 hours.

So, I learned a lot but also was help a lot by friend who had done the race a half dozen times before.   I don't know when I will be back, but it was cool to be at the Kona of Marathons and would definitely like to go again.

Congrats on the 3 hours! I am sorry the experience was not what you expected and trained for. Your report feels painful...! How are you feeling today? How is recovery going?

Remind me, was this your first Boston? I like that you analyze and evaluate this race and you will be making adjustment to your training and race execution for the next Boston. It's very impressive and I am looking forward to learn about your progres.
2023-04-24 11:16 AM

User image

Cypress, Texas

Originally posted by marysia83

Yes, I learned a lot...

Congrats on the 3 hours! I am sorry the experience was not what you expected and trained for. Your report feels painful...! How are you feeling today? How is recovery going? Remind me, was this your first Boston? I like that you analyze and evaluate this race and you will be making adjustment to your training and race execution for the next Boston. It's very impressive and I am looking forward to learn about your progres.

No, it was not what I expected. I beat myself up over it the first couple hours after the race, but when I look at what I actually accomplished I have been trying to give myself some more slack.  When I did my first Marathon in 2007 my goal was to break 3 hours and to qualify for Boston so I could make the trip with a bunch of the guys from my training group who had qualified (living in Tulsa, OK at that time so a different group of guys but the same desire).  It took my 15 year to get a BQ and then I went on to get a sub-3 hour race at Boston.  So...I have accomplished everything I had hoped for when I started out 15 years ago.  

Yes...I suffered in this one but it was short.  I nail the for 21 miles. Then I had about 50 minutes where I had to dig deep to save my race.  The shooting pain that started in the quads with every step was mostly a mental thing.  I could manage it for 3-4 minutes at a time and then would walk to get some relief and then go another 3-4 minutes.  I could have run though it if I had a goal for a PR, but I didn't so I took the breaks when I felt they would be the most beneficial and didn't push myself too hard (until the final minute when I had to have that sub-3).   I was at the breaking point but didn't feel broken until after i crossed the finish line.  It was raining and 50 deg at the finish line and with all the stress on my body I just wanted to shut down.  I took me about 2 hours before I felt well.  I felt the race feeing good.  It just took time and a lot of walking to get to that point.  The next day I was surprised about how fast I was recovering.  I bounce back pretty quick despite the way things went at the end of the race.

2023-04-24 11:24 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Sorry you were disappointed in how the race played out.  IMO it is very impressive to have even gotten there and to put down a sub-3 finish is great!  Sounds like you learned a lot for the next time.  Big congratulations, and your race report was very interesting to read.  A perspective all its own!

2023-04-24 11:35 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Congratulations, Sean! Boston is a beast.

I remember when I was there, I did a short run in the course the Saturday before the race.  I ran on a few of the hills towards the end and I was like, "Pfft! No problem." Well, on race day, it was a different story!

I'm glad that you had your Boston experience. Kudos!

2023-04-25 5:44 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Cypress, Texas

Originally posted by jmkizer

I remember when I was there, I did a short run in the course the Saturday before the race.  I ran on a few of the hills towards the end and I was like, "Pfft! No problem." Well, on race day, it was a different story!

Sean Hale is on the Every Man Jack Triathlon Team and lives in Katy, Texas 15 minutes to the south of me.  -Curtis Hale- 

I didn't think the hills were that bad until I started coming back down the back side of last hill after mile 21.  Coming down hill was painful. 

For the record the Payson Orchards Sprint Triathlon (Utah), the Wasatch Back Ragnar, leg 12 (Utah), and the Du Kona Duathlon (Oklahoma) all had hill that were bigger.  I think the placement of the hills is what is the killer at Boston.  Even on flat courses and down hill courses most people are going to hit the wall around mile 21.  Hitting it right at the longest hill and followed by the steepest down hill is just adding insult to injury.      

2023-04-26 6:26 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Sean Hale is on the Every Man Jack Triathlon Team and lives in Katy, Texas 15 minutes to the south of me.  -Curtis Hale- 

I didn't think the hills were that bad until I started coming back down the back side of last hill after mile 21.  Coming down hill was painful. 

For the record the Payson Orchards Sprint Triathlon (Utah), the Wasatch Back Ragnar, leg 12 (Utah), and the Du Kona Duathlon (Oklahoma) all had hill that were bigger.  I think the placement of the hills is what is the killer at Boston.  Even on flat courses and down hill courses most people are going to hit the wall around mile 21.  Hitting it right at the longest hill and followed by the steepest down hill is just adding insult to injury.      

You know that Sean is a Manatee alum, right? Or do we say non-participating Manatee? 

2023-04-26 8:51 AM

User image

Denver, Colorado

You know that Sean is a Manatee alum, right? Or do we say non-participating Manatee? 

Once a Manatee always a Manatee

2023-04-26 3:22 PM

User image

Cypress, Texas

No, I didn't know that Sean was a Manatee.  That it pretty cool.  

2023-04-28 2:23 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Racing Manatees!!!

April 29
Anne - Driftless 100 (gravel)
Leanne - Tour de Pickle 75

Doooo eeeettttt!!!!!!

Is anyone else racing or doing anything else fun this weekend?

2023-04-29 7:09 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Racing Manatees!!!

April 29

Doooo eeeettttt!!!!!!

Go Anne and Leanne!!!

2023-04-29 3:21 PM

User image

Expert

Racing Manatees!!!

April 29

Doooo eeeettttt!!!!!!

Good luck Racers!
2023-04-30 10:06 AM

Extreme Veteran
Wilmington, NC

I think we all have a love/hate relationship with Boston!

2023-04-30 10:07 AM

Extreme Veteran
Wilmington, NC

Racing Manatees!!!

April 29

Doooo eeeettttt!!!!!!

Thanks! Tour de Pickle was fun! I ended up riding most of solo. Most people decided to the 50 miler or 25 miler. But...even alone the time flew by!
2023-05-01 8:10 AM

User image

Cypress, Texas

Racing Manatees!!!

April 29

Doooo eeeettttt!!!!!!

I did the Bike MS150 on Saturday with my 13-year-old daughter.  She has been cycling for 10 weeks to train for the 50-miler.  She did amazing.  She is a mini-manatee.  So..two bucket list events in the books last month; Boston and MS150.  

Now I am get to enjoy a slow build for a few month.  there are two local Sprint Triathlons and a big Olympic triathlon 2 hours away this month but I think I am going to wait until October to race again.  There is a Doggie Splash & Dash in June that I have been thinking of doing.  My family rehomed our Corgi a year and a half ago, so I don't know who I can use for my team mate in the splash and dash.  I have two family pets to choose from.  I think the Chow-Chow is out.  He has too much wool and I think that it would soak up water like a sponge and pull him under.  It's too bad because his is the more trainable of the two dogs.  The other is a mix of possibly a Chinese Crested and who know what else (breeds?).  She is probably my best option.   Hmm...how to train?  Does anyone have any experience or tips on training for doggie aquathons?

2023-05-01 11:48 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Racing Manatees!!!

April 29

Doooo eeeettttt!!!!!!

I did the Bike MS150 on Saturday with my 13-year-old daughter.  She has been cycling for 10 weeks to train for the 50-miler.  She did amazing.  She is a mini-manatee.  So..two bucket list events in the books last month; Boston and MS150.  

Now I am get to enjoy a slow build for a few month.  there are two local Sprint Triathlons and a big Olympic triathlon 2 hours away this month but I think I am going to wait until October to race again.  There is a Doggie Splash & Dash in June that I have been thinking of doing.  My family rehomed our Corgi a year and a half ago, so I don't know who I can use for my team mate in the splash and dash.  I have two family pets to choose from.  I think the Chow-Chow is out.  He has too much wool and I think that it would soak up water like a sponge and pull him under.  It's too bad because his is the more trainable of the two dogs.  The other is a mix of possibly a Chinese Crested and who know what else (breeds?).  She is probably my best option.   Hmm...how to train?  Does anyone have any experience or tips on training for doggie aquathons?

Love this!!  Big kudos to your mini-manatee!

2023-05-01 7:49 PM

User image

Expert

Racing Manatees!!!

April 29

Doooo eeeettttt!!!!!!

That looks like so much fun! Sorry. I've only successfully trainer labs, and I'm not sure you want it to retrieve ducks. But I would love to see a Chinese Crested mix try.
New Thread
Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Marvelous Manatees - Stronger than Ever! Rss Feed  

of 33